1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo April 2015

Egret

Re: Starting Chemo April 2015

Hi! Just to flag this down for the April 2015 starters: I went to the HAVEN BC SUPPORT CENTRE in London. It was fantastic! A whole list of alternative therapies, meditation, counselling, make-up artist and hairdresser, group support, even ears acupuncture to help sleep - all were on offer at the Haven Centre in Fulham! I was very impressed. I put myself for massages to start with, but I can divide my ten free sessions between any of the therapies on offer. I think there are other centres in Hereford and Leeds. It took me one hour transport each way so it was not exactly next door, but the centre was so welcoming and such high standards, that I am looking forwards to returning there.

My oncology team put my blood tests and appointment on 13 May; my surgery for the Portacath under anaesthesia on 14 May; and my 2nd chemo on 15 May. They don't lose time do they? I will need a soothing massage at the HAVEN to relax before the onslaught! Anyone knows whether the Portacath is under local (I am awake), or full anaesthesia (I am knocked off)? I am a bit apprehensive.

Best wishes to all the April starters! Egret x
mint_tea

Sentangelo

Are you having white blood cell booster injections? Lower back pain is a SE of those. I do 7 days GCSF injections and I get hideous lower back pain (it's the cells in bone marrow doing their thing!). Painkillers and a bath help with my pain.

Jane1978

2 become 1- that's exactly how I feel and did agian later night no3!!!! But today a lot better and u will find a same worst over now!! Although sorry to disappoint but sleeping tabs dint work for me in chemo day I'm thinking it's cos of steroids although i do still use em ibe and again when not on steroids for a gud sleep xxxx
whenmy2become1

first fec yesterday and nausea so so bad last night even though I am on emend. just remembering it makes me feel sick all over again. wasn't actually sick but so nauseous I couldn't move. will see if I can get sleeping pills to sleep through it next time.

more human today with tummy ache nausea like a travel sickness and tired. but all bearable unlike last night.

mol liana I couldn't keep my eyes open with the last drug either but certainly couldn't have gone to pub for a burger!! well done you!

thanks for advice on etsy picc line covers will go take a look. hoping it will get better rather than worse as the week goes on x
Codiesue

Hi Cocolily, yes still having treatment last chemo was 18th Feb then further WLE due to DCIS in margin after first WLE and now waiting on rads to breast, axilla and clavicle. Planning meeting next Friday the hopefully start soon after. Do ask for Emend next time it really helps with sickness, Good luck xx

sentangelo

I just checken their website! They look gorgeous! Congrats!

Anybody had lower back pain as a SE? It started today and I don't know if it's my back or kidneys (feels to be at a lower place than kidneys are). Should I just take some pain killers or call the doctor or just wait and see! It's not horrible, but it's there.
Huneebee

Just received three brilliant hats from Headscarves from Ciara. They're fab!!!
Lucy_BCC

Hi chachacha

Welcome to the BCC forums, along with the support and shared experiences you will find here, please feel free to call our helpliners on 0808 800 6000 to talk any concerns or queries over, lines are open 9-5 during the week and 10-2 Saturdays

I am posting a link to the treatments area of the site where you will find lots of information and further support ideas which I hope you will find helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Take care
Lucy BCC

chachacha

Hi all,

I'm another April 2015 start on Chemo - 6 cycles of FEC -T . I had a single mastectomy in March, and I had my first chemo on 21st April. Its taken me 8 days to feel normal again - phew!

The worst thing side effect for me, once the nausea had subsided (by day 4) was terrible disorientating headaches. Now these seem to have gone I'm hoping for a 'normal' weekend.

Good luck ladies, and thanks for sharing your journeys, its so reassuring to know we are not alone Smiley Happy

Huneebee

Hi Cocolily, welcome! I had my first chemo three weeks ago. I had ulcers from my mouth to my bowel. The have eased with med. they put me on Laprozole which has improved things. Soi they can give you something to help you and to ease the discomfort. Xxx
sentangelo

Jane, that's great!!! Congrats!!!
sentangelo

Dears, you are all so strong!!!
Minty, good luck today! And well done Molliana and 1981mum! I'm super happy for you. If I could also have had two already, 1/3 of the way!
Cocolily, I'm sorry you don't feel that great 😞 it will pass. What anti sickness are you on? Emend does indeed seem to help.
I'm 3d day post chemo 1, I'm a bit different in the regimen, they give me TAC. So far I just could not sleep. But this night my body just switched off and gave me a 6 hour break. I have a headache and feel like I'm hungover, but nothing more serious so far, just can't sleep and am super red. A nurse came by yesterday to give me a neulasta shot to stimulate white blood cell production. So far so good. Looking forward to these several months' end. Xxx
Jane1978

Hi ladies !!!last FEC done yest forever don't hear me forever !!!! Lol touch wood!!!!!! Do crap night through no sleep due to steroids injust don't get in with those my head moves
And everything!!! Can feel heart in ur ears! Anyway got through it n now feel it better ! Day in bed for me !!!! Now
I can work
Myself up for t T part got it in my head I'm gunna react to it !? Anyone had level
3 node clearance ??!!! X
Cocolily

Thank you Sue, I'm on FEC T as well .. Today is day 7 and still feel sick and I'm on 4th anti sickness.. Once it stops I will know what to expect next month. Just want one day to feel ok .. Hoping I feel better soon . Well done you for getting through yours. Are you still on treatment ?
Cocolily

Thank you Hannah203, I do hope so. I just want to turn a corner. I've been really emotional as well as period due as well so that hasn't helped. Just want to feel better .. Glad I found this thread x
hannah203

Hi cocolily I'm just 1day ahead of you on EC my first 6days were horrendous nauseous and feeling weak & groggy with fatigue being the worst on day 6 i could barely move!!!! Got the spots too. Today has been day7 I feel like Ive got a new lease of life I've got my appetite back been cleaning the house feeling my normal self just wanted to say I know it doesn't feel like it but some days will be good and yes some days will be s#*t!!!! Hope tomorrow is better for you xxx
Codiesue

Hi Cocolily, sorry you have had to start this journey. I am from the November thread so finished my chemo now thankfully. I was on FEC T and with FEC I was like you for about ten days then started to feel better and was pretty much back to normal for last week before the next cycle. If you are like that plan some nice things for your good week it will give you something to look forward to and help you get through it. Stay strong it is doable and ask your onc fro Emend anti sickness, ikt is more expensive so they see how you cope with cheaper meds first. Emend reduced my nausea by 80% so worth asking. Good luck Sue xx

Cocolily

Hope you ladies don't mind me joining. Had my 1st chemo on Friday but have been feeling really rough since.. Nausea, ulcers even spots on my face ! It's like being 16 and pregnant !! Any idea how long it will last .. Day 6 and still feeling ill ..
1981mum

Good luck for tomorrow Mint
Hunebee feel for you, fingers crossed x
Madness Val!
Waving to everyone
Finished chemo at 4pm and so far so good, drinking gallons of water and preparing for an early night x
Fingers crossed for a good reaction again
2/6 done woop woop !
Huneebee

Well done Molliana!
newey47

p Re: Starting Chemo April 2015

ah bless Molliana, hope you keep well as you feel at the moment.  If you need to nap, do so, you are allowed.  Long may in continue with you feeling ok.  Your brave eating in the pub lol I didnt feel like anything for days and days lol.  Take Care Val xxx

Molliana

I am not feeling too bad. I had trouble last time with the third drug going in and five mins after it had finished I felt like my face was coming out of my head. This time she did the last one slowly and i felt more like i desperately needed to close my eyes. That last for twenty mins and then I went to the pub for burger and chips. I do feel like I need a nap now tho.
Thoughts are with you all xx
Hazelr

A great website is moogoo which is Australian company that has totally natural products for people having chemo. I have had the sunscreen, scalp cream, deodorant and facial cream, all of them brilliant and so lovely on the skin. They are very professional and quick to deliver. Check out the website moogooskincare xxx
sentangelo

Huneebee, I hope it all does improve!!! And I'm sure Newey it will work out for the best. 

How are you doing today Molli?

Hazelr, your words give hope! It's 28 hours post chemo, no nausia still and I hope it does not count. But I'm a super red and juicy tomato, LOL. xxx

Hazelr

Well done you. If you haven't had nausea or vomiting you are unlikely to now. Steroids will play havoc with sleep and red face but will go after a few more days, won't get worse. Xx
Molliana

Oh no. And there was me moaning about having to go for my second today 😞
I hope things improve for you x
Huneebee

Goodness me Val, sometimes common sense seems lost on them! The tooing & froing is so tiring. You'd think they'd be a bit more sympathetic. Xxx
newey47

bloomin wish they would check mine friday when i am at the hospital for a scan anyway.  Making me go back again on Monday, chemo Tuesday.  This gives no chance of a re check before tuesday does it.  Dont get it. Never mind.  As I said before, these things are sent to try us, and tried we are and have been.

Val xxxx

Huneebee

Thank you Val. I'm sure I'll bounce back over the next few days. Just so disappointed.
Ave x
newey47

Oh Hun so sorry for you, what a let down.  Still hopefully another week and you will have recovered enough to continue or even with a new plan.  Try not to be down hearted, you an sympathise with us when we all have our next lots (bloods permitting) Val xxxx

Huneebee

So down in the dumps. My white cell count isn't high enough to have round 2 on Tuesday. But because my digestive system ulcerated so badly and hasn't healed yet, they're not sure I'm a good candidate for chemo to continue. I've to wait another week and cross my fingers. But the can't protect my stomach for the next round, so they're talking about a new plan.
sentangelo

Тhanks so much for the tips Mint and 1981!!!

And Minty good luck to you tomorrow too (I'm sooooo jealous 🙂 hehe). XXX

newey47

Hi Mint

Well yes yours seems the best way, I tried to say that it would give a chance if a problem to do another one......they didnt want to know.  And no Docs wasnt an option either.  Madness, as I have to go to main hosp for blood test, and then small local hospital for chemo the following day anyway lol.  Jobsworths it seems.  Never mind these things are sent to try us lol  xxx

mint_tea

Sentangelo

The lack of sleep is the worst isn't it. Get some sleeping pills, they saved my sanity! I am not having steroids this time around (apart from the one in the pre chemo infusion) but was offered 3 days worth to try and counter general fatigue. Quickly declined and got them removed from prescription!

mint_tea

Go girls 1981mum and Molliana for today!
I am just behind you, second tomorrow for me. A third of the way!

mint_tea

Val

I have bloods on a Tuesday ready for chemo on a Friday. If no good on Tuesday, they do another test just before chemo on the Friday. It's mad that every oncology team seems to have different rules. I live 5 mins from the Oncology unit so easy for me - but can't your GP (who I assume would be more local) do the bloods? Again I know that's an option where I live. I straddle private treatment and NHS (as I am on a clinical trial for chemo) and both teams can access blood results from wherever I get them done.

mint_tea

Whenmy2become1

I've ordered from Etsy - Aya Covers (think they have a website too).

newey47

HI Hun

I saw consultant too yesterday, asked if i could have bloods done on Friday as I am at hospital for a heart scan then.  Next FEC on Tuesday!!! Was told NO had to have bloods done the day before chemo!!!! So another 50 mile round trip.  Surely if they did it Friday and it was ok, then it would be ok!!! Or then if it wasnt I could go back for another check on Monday.  Oh how I wish hospital was nearer.........

First pill free day for me, been on anti biotics for last 10 days, great having brekkie with no pills, until the next lot starting monday.  Onc has given me 3 diff sorts of anti sickness tablets now, all to be taken at diff times of day for as long as I need them, Oh how much easier it would be if they could be combined into ONE!!!

Good luck for tomorrow - Val xxxx

1981mum

Thanks TD3 sounds easy enough then
Come on Moliana ! You can do this just a few hours. This time next year you'll have forgotten all about it
I've treated myself to some trashy magazines and chocolate for today 🙂 almost looking forward to a few hours peace ! I have a 5 week old baby at home so I'm super tired its nice to get out on my own
Sente the red cheeks are normal but keep an eye on your temperature I was told to go to A&E if it goes past 37.6 ( I think it was that )
I only took steroids for 2 days and it really helped with the anti sickness
No tips on sun screen but I have a face moisture with factor 15 think it's just the bits exposed to the sun you need to worry about
newey47

Hi Molli

You will be fine, calm down now.  You know you are in for a rough few days, after which you will be fine.  Mine is not till next Tuesday, I am not looking forward to the poisons going in my body either, which now seems to be funcitoning fine. BUT we have to do it, no choice!!!!!

Hang on in there, vent your anger and frustration on here later and we will listen.  You take care, wishing you an easier ride this time.

Val xxxxxx

Codiesue

Good luck Molliana....you can do this stay strong and just keep reminding yourself why you have to have chemo......to kill off the Big C XX

sentangelo

Molli! You are amazing, I really admire you. It's gonna get better, it's only temporary, it's saving your life! xxx

Molliana

Arrgh. I don't want to go. My stomach is churning ...again. I was fine and now this morning I just want to hide under the duvet 😞

And I had questions for the onc yesterday and her answers have completely wound me up!
T3D

Hi 1981mum. I had markers put in its easier than biopsy as they're not taking bits out you don't get the bruising or soreness afterwards. It's really quick and easy. Good luck with it all x
sentangelo

Also I would like to ask you for a tip for a suscreen, a quick one if you have by your hand. Which one is better to wear as now it gets really sunny. Also what do you put on your face and sulp? Do you cover full body or only part, which may be directly affected by the sun.

sentangelo

1981mum and Molliana, good luck today!!! I hope everything goes smooth.

First night after chemo, slept only 4 hours, the steroids I'm getting won't let me sleep, which is exhausting. But I'm also grateful that it is the most uncomfortable side effect I'm getting so far. I feel as if I have a light flu, some temperature, my face is super red 🙂 my stomach feels weird, I feel like I'm strating to bloat but luckily no nausea or vomiting, yey! I really wish it stays like this and does not get worse. 

So now as I have no sleep in my eyes I just decided to do something, like clean my long task list of administrative staff, some important, some not. But the anticipation of chemo made me so anxcious that I pretty much did only what was absolutely unavoidable and the rest was left behind. Now I can do that.

1981mum

Thanks Moli, you too
Just think hopefully this time next week the worst will be over and you'll start to feel better again x
How many more to go for you?
I have 4 more after tomorrow but all depends on how my tumour is shrinking could be more could be less
Have and MRI booked next week and will find out
Did anyone else have a copper chip type thing inserted? I've got that tomorrow to track the location of the tumour ready for surgery
I wondered what to expect, is it same as biopsy?
Molliana

My Fec 2 is happening tomorrow. I don't want to go 😞 But will let you know how I get on.
1981mum best wishes for tomorrow too.
Everyone else, I hope you all have a good night xx
whenmy2become1

where did you order your picc line covers?
Huneebee

Hi All.

I shaved my hair off too. Much more comfortable. A friend had knitted me a brilliant Wee Willie Winky hat, so i've worn that all day! Loads of fun. I have also been given a chicken hat!!! I haven't been brave enough to wear that out yet. I'm getting on well with scarves. I'm not confident in my wig yet, if it's windy it looks really scruffy.

I'm off to the Consultant tomorrow for bloods and to have a check up before round 2 next Tuesday. This week is definitely loads better.

I've had the opposite effect with my bowels, it poured out of my so fast I lost 5kg in 5 days! Sorted now, taking loads of meds though. Not how I expected it to be.

Enjoying not feeling like week1! I wasn't sick, but I was full of so many anti sick pills I was so groggy I couldn't function. But that's better than being sick!!!!!