1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo April 2015

newey47

Re: Starting Chemo April 2015

Ah welcome Kittycat, yeah know what you mean about being fit and healthy before all this lol I am 56 57 next month and have always been in good health never needing doctors lol.  Still this journey has to be travelled and we will all get through it.  This forum is a godsend, you can say or ask anything, we all understand.  I had my 2nd FEC-T today, relaxing now hoping the SEs DONT kick in - huh chance would be a fine thing.  

My hair came out day 13 of 1st chemo, so Oh shaves it all off, much more comfortable.  Now just got the stubble that is coming out of its own accord.I wear wigs when out, but take them straight off when i get in as leave grooves where they are holding on to head, also get hot and itchy.  Scarves aremust more comfortable.

Take Care Val xxx

newey47

thank you to Hun that was lol x

newey47

why thank you lol x

newey47

Thanks Tussle, good luck for tomorrow xxxxVal xxx

newey47

Hi Storm hope it went ok for you today!!! Val x

Huneebee

Hi Kittycat!

A quick question - does anybody know the rules on chicken pox? My best friends little girl, has it going round her school. Do we have to stay away from anybody in contact with chicken pox? Even if we've had before ourselves???
Egret

Hi Storminadcup! I hope your chemo went well, have been thinking about you.
Egret x
Egret

Welcome Kittycat! I am reading this thread everyday, and it has given me renewed determination to get through all this together! Egret x
Huneebee

Val, well done! Xxx
Tussie

Val, glad you got through today, my turn tomorrow grrr x
Hazelr

Hi have you had Emend anti sickness drug and Domperidon which is great? Ask for it, it might make a difference. I was emotional as well which I think in hind sight feels like hormonal reaction but would spend one day crying a lot and feeling very sorry for myself. I liken the whole chemo thing as going down physically and emotionally to a low point and then waking up one day out the other side. It takes longer each cycle to get there but always do. I made sure I planned nice things the week before the next cycle, coffees, lunches etc as evenings were not good as still tired come 9 pm. I know we are all different but I can look back over last 5 months and wonder how I did it but I did and you will too. Love to you all on this bit of the journey xx
newey47

Thanks T3D, just got back,from 1.30 till 4.00 the outreach clinic is so stretched, too many booked in, will go later next time as they leave me till last cos they have to push all the chemo through syringes.  Nurse thought she had a good vein, then it really hurt and wouldnt go in.  Really painful it is still and will bruise. Then she used the other one that they used last time, no trouble at all. So now at home waiting for the dreaded side effects.  Perhaps I shouldnt, might not get any lol.

I will not take any more of the Levomepromazine anti sickness cos I am still tired now.  Nurse said a friend of hers mother, couldnt wake up at all for all the next day........thats how I feel/felt.  Dont like feeling like that so wont take again, and that was only a quarter of a tablet......

Hope the rest of you ladies are all ok, will keep posting but hopefully there wont be too much to moan about lol - Oh and gotta have the GCSF injections for only 3 days.....so I suppose that is a good sign, white blood cells bit low, but not low enough to stop chemo and just 3 days of GCSF.  Been told to extra vigilant with temperature etc, so will take it few times a day.

Valxxxx

Jane1978

Oh jackie55 that would be lovely!!!! Think it's jusst someone who has been though it or going through it helps ! Had a friend telling me today that the c word girl dint die of
Breast cancer anyway I was like wtf ?! Suppose if they don't understand then it's difficult x
T3D

Good luck with today's chemo Val. Hope you're feeling more awake and that it all goes well xxx
jackiek55

Hi Jane, just reading through the last couple of days posts and see you're in Sheffield, me too! I meet up with a group of girls several times a year who I met on here over 5 years ago. We go and have a meal and chat in Meadowhall in the evening. Let me know if you fancy a meet x

newey47

thanks hun x

Huneebee

Val,

I hope treatment goes smoothly today x
newey47

Morning ladies,well Cday 2 is here.........started the 3 anti sickness meds yesterday that Onc gave me.  Zonked me out completely, sleepy all day, had a long 2 hour nap pm, then after meal out which I could hardly stay awake for.....bed at 10 and here I am at 10.30am still NOT awake.  Phoned about them and was told to cut out till night time. Really cant function like this tbh, dont even feel up to having Chemo this pm, hope I wake enough by then.   Now Outreach nurse just phone and said neutraphils a little low, they dont want to delay but have to have injections in stomach, I asked if district nurse could do it as I really dont think I can.  They start tomorrow,so not a good start to this day............ fed up lol xx val xx good luck to everyone else having treatment today x

T3D

Good morning girls. Hope you're all doing well today and storm good luck for today- you can do this! I'm off to the hospital for my blood tests to make sure I'm good for my round two on Thursday so as much as I don't fancy going through it again I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all is good! Xx
Huneebee

Before you all think I'm a complete nutter! Much as I laughed at the boob and toilet jokes in the Big C - I did cry at the end.

I've had a long think about it, and I think I automatically assumed I will fight through, therefore had not considered secondary. I think we are all strong enough to kick this 'Bull**bleep**s' arse!!!

BTW morning all! My husbands gone to work for the day. He had to wake me up to give me my injection, and now I don't know what to do with myself!
Huneebee

1981, in the oncology dept in my hospital there is a leaflet on travel insurance for us. I think it's by Macmillan. Just looked!!

Go to Macmillan, put travel insurance in the search box. All the info comes up. I don't know how costly it will be? Hope that helps.

Need to ask a daft question - aren't we all in remission when our treatments finish?
Huneebee

Storminadcup,
I had a complete meltdown in front of the Consultant!!! Right before she told me they had to delay! Sod's law. So I think being scared of Chemo is something we all feel!

Good luck for today. I will leave the page open this afternoon, so I can chat to you if you need it. You're very very brave! Hugs xxx
1981mum

Apologies for bringing up travel insurance again but do you think I'll be fine after treatment to get insurance? My oncologist said jan /feb I should be all finished but does that mean all clear?
I want to book a holiday but I'm now scared I'll not get insured?
1981mum

Oh and same with the legs, just when I'm laying in bed like now. They feel like they need to stretch
1981mum

Storm I felt exactly the same becore round 2, like it got harder not easier... You're right though this time tomorrow it's done, sorry but no other words as its crapy and it will still be crapy tomorrow but it gets done
I watched it too, held back tears for oh but glad I watched it
For me I never contemplated it coming back, I guess I've just been thinking treatment sucks but then it's done and I'm back to normal
But I now know I'll never be normal again and I'm struggling with that just now. Will I ever be able to stop worrying? Do you get over it?
Much sucker after Round 2, i was fine last time but so nauseous and sleepy this time. Praying it doesn't get too much worse next time
storminadcup

Hi All, watched the c word on iplayer as catch up. It sid strike hard... found myself in tears but hiding them from OH!!
Having a great day outside spreading dried fertiliser by hand over a 2 acre field... dont ask. Only to wnd up feeling emotional and scared. 2nd chemo tomorrow and I dont want to go. My.mind is playing games with itself. ... questionning whether the stats were right, maybe the chemo wont make such a difference etc etc
... last time I was rushed to hospital and kept in for 3 days.... cant face that...
Sorry just feel very alone and wish i didnt have to put on the its all fine face... cos it bloody isnt.
Still this time tomorrow i'll be a third of the way there and probably too sick to care.
Self insilgent emotional out burst over x
Kittycat1

Hi there. I'm joining you for your support and wisdom in preparation for my 2nd round of chemo.The posts on this forum have been really reassuring knowing that I'm not alone in this nonsense. I started FEC-T 21/4/2015 - next one due 13/5 - and I must admit the side-effects floored me for a week Smiley Sad. I'm beginning to loose my hair - I didn't bother with the cold cap - as I'm on a high dose E and was told I would definitely loose every hair. At least I was able to prepare with soft caps & a wig for when it finally happens.

I'm bored of my 'chemo guts' and now need lanzoprazole & Loperamide and was a relatively healthy 43 year old when I was diagnosed in January!! The hip & leg muscle aches started last week too - and are now easing.This week my husband will be taught how to care for my PICC line instead of the district nurse. My plan for this week - keep smiling and try and keep my hair for my daughter's prom on Wednesday evening Heart!!

Love & best wishes to all xxx

Huneebee

Today's achievement, finished knitting a hat to wear on my very bald head!
Molliana

Damn. I have developed a cold as the day has gone on 😞
And I just realised I keep forgetting to shower! It's coz i have no hair to wash!
Tussie

Hi all!
I couldn't watch the C word but as some of you say maybe later, a bit too raw for me at the moment.The bone ache is horrible, I got it on day 3 after the first chemo and lasted for 5 day, it really felt as if I was being shot at randomly, day and night. Got myself some Naproxen for next week and hope that will help a bit better than the over the counter Ibuprofen I used first time around.
My hair is coming out today😪 I thought I was getting away with it using the cold cap, not gone completely bald yet, so distressing. OH say , well you got your wig, not much of a comfort to me. One positive is I got my tastebuds back and getting through a lot of chocolate and cakes to make up for lost time.
Hugs to everyone, IOW sounds fab by the way. x

Huneebee

Morning all.

My leg bones ached too! I'm so glad it's not just me. I thought I was going mad. There are so many different side effects that I almost can't take it all in. You seem to roll from one to the next.

I am celebrating this morning. A small but vital victory! My body temp has been 35 since my chemo was administered! My temp has home up to a normal 36.4. Yeah! Maybe I will start to feel better now.

Wishing everybody a good day! Be strong x
whenmy2become1

I am watching the C word in a few weeks with friends as hubby didnt want to watch it and I didn't want to watch it alone. I am reading the blog on which it was based and have really enjoyed it and found she wrote in a way which was both entertaining and informative and I can relate to a lot so far

Was a complete wuss last night with my tummy jab. Poor hubby did it for the first time on sat and it really hurt me and so I got panicked last night and was hysterical for about 15 mins before I could let him do it... And then it was fine!!nwas so cross with myself -in the scheme of things it's a tiny injection and not worth the fuss!!
Day 5 today and needed brekkie immediately I woke as was quite shaky but that has worked so hoping to get up for a full day today (well after a BIT of a lie in!!) I am like a refugee when I start eating at the moment. I am shovelling it in like I haven't eaten in weeks!! Have definite ideas on what I want to have but haven't found I have gone off too much and managing to stick to healthy food
Glad you are feeling better in yourself molliana I think we all have those days. I had a bit of a morbid day yesterday with the news re Rio ferdinands wife and the C Word programme being discussed. But have decided I need to find a way to turn it into a positive and a reminder to live life to the full as in reality no-one knows how long they have and perhaps we are the lucky ones to get that wake up call and make sure we make the most of life and don't just put things off. Trying to see it that way if I can as don't think the fear ever really goes from what I understand from others. We just have to find a way to live well with it x
Molliana

It's shining here too 🙂 x
Cocolily

I know how you feel but I still have puffy eyes this morning !! Not good to go to bed when you've been sobbing 😣 still the deep ache but taken painkillers and will take my little dog out soon for a walk to brighten up my day xxx have a lovely day everyone - the sun is shining - well it is here anyway 😄🌝🌝🌝🌛
Molliana

Crocodily. I really think it's one of the side effects. I am sure it will wear off. Do keep an eye on it tho.

The c word. I cried five mins in. And she was completely amazing as we all are. Inspirational and dignified. I was expecting it to be a series and was wondering how they could deal with it all in 90mins. I won't specifically comment for those who haven't seen it. I just think it wasn't in depth enough for me. I do still think for those who haven't gone through this they will still not comprehend the emotional devastation. Or indeed the physical. Having the same op she had I was devastated! Diagnosis for me felt like a horrible lifetime.

I hope you are all doing ok this morning xx
T3D

I felt the same as you val couldn't cope with watching that at the moment! IOW holiday sounds like a good plan though! X
Cocolily

Thanks Molliana. Just taken temp and 37.2 so that's ok for me. It's a really funny deep ache in my legs even when laying still .. I will keep an eye on it... You are coping really well - well done . That must have been scary taken by ambulance ! X
Molliana

My legs ached in two different ways. One night one of my shin bones was so painful it scared me silly! I struggled to sleep but it was fine The next day.
The other time was about day 17 after first Fec when both my legs ached like i had flu and i generally felt under the weather. My temperature was up but only 37.5 but I rang in and they sent the ambulance. Had my bloods done and iv antibiotics and they let me out later. Definitely check your temperature. For me, going in that quickly saved having to stay in!
Cocolily

Also I'm on day 13 of first chemo and yesterday my legs started to ache and I mean really ache from hips down .. Anyone else have this ? A bit scary but I know it must be the chemo ? Thank you and would also like to join the get well holiday after we are all better !
Cocolily

I watched it and it was upsetting more so because we are going through the same things as her like losing our hair and other side effects. I went to bed with really puffy eyes and so did my husband but it was always going to be sad in an uplifting type of way. Watch when your feeling stronger ladies if you are emotional at the moment.
storminadcup

ive decided to watch on catch up... been too tired today.

molliana Happy Birthday. my 50th was the day before i got my dx so can sympathise.

so as to girly holiday on iow... fab idea and we can celebrate how we made it!! 

i ll be coming down from north yorks so can pick a few up xxx

Huneebee

I think I'm doing the Mindfulness thing, sort of. Sometimes you either laugh or cry. Maybe I was lucky to find it therapeutic. Xx
newey47

I decided not to watch it, even though I love the actors in it, because of the ending I couldn't cope with that x

Molliana

I was looking forward to the c word and now I feel disappointed with much of it. Just me?
Huneebee

A holiday on the Isle of White it is then!

BTW is it wrong that I'm laughing myself silly whilst watching the Big C??????
newey47

sounds good to me, lets all get through this rubbish time, and all on the ferry over to the Isle of Wight for a girly holiday, I am deffo in for that xxxvalxxx
Molliana

All round to mine then! 😉
newey47

SO good to hear Molli, onwards and upwards now come on........xxxx val xxxxx

And I love the Isle of Wight too, lucky you......

T3D

Hi Molliana I LOVE the Isle of wight have spent many a summer holiday there. SO glad to hear that you're feeling better in yourself today xxx
Molliana

I am on the Isle of wight!
Thank you for all your kind messages yesterday. Feeling much more cheery today xx