1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo April 2015

Hazelr

Re: Starting Chemo April 2015

Hey see if you can get Domperidon as well to take whenever you feel nauseous, great anti sickess drug and definitely Emend which you take for 3 days only, works a treat. Xx
Hazelr

Hi sounds like you're doing well. Try a thin cotton cap under your wig which makes it more comfortable to wear and keeps you r head warm as well, it doesn't slip either. Hope you continue to be well, your energy levels will be less each chemo so rest up. Xx
Codiesue

Hi Ladies just browsing from November you get free prescriptions for 5years ask your BCN for a form to send off mine sent it off for me. Stay strong you can do this....... I did xx

Molliana

Oh really?? I shouldn't have to pay?? I didn't know that!!
Tussie

The onc gave me 1 weeks supply of 50mg Fluconazole and you do not need to pay for any prescriptions while you are receiving cancer treatment I think for the next 2 years. x
Jane1978

I suffer a lot with thrush anyway u can take flu tablets but the tablet up
Ur flu is better !! Also u an get on script as unshud be getting em free now can get a months supply as quite expensive x
Molliana

Hi. Sorry to keep on about it but it seems that boots sell it over the counter but it's just one pill. Is that what they gave you? Just one pill to take that sorts it? Boots Pharmacy Thrush 150mg Capsule (Fluconazole)
I could definitely get myself down to boots tomorrow for that!
Tussie

Yes Molliana it is in tablet form x
Tussie

T3D, hope the Emed helps, I was only given 2 Emed for yesterday's chemo, now rely on Domperidone. Suffering a bit, hope to feel better tomorrow.Had my first Herceptin injection subcutaneously, the first Iv took ages so home much earlier yesterday especially since the cold app is not working so going for a shave tomorrow, grr x
Molliana

Hi.Fluconazole? Is that pills?
Tussie

Molliana!
I had thrush, mouth and below after my last session and, GP gave me medication for a week that cleared it, and when I saw the consultant prechemo yesterday he gave me a script for Fluconazole to have at hand, better than the stuff the GP gave me as I am likely to get the thrush again.
Tussie

Jay, very welcome to the forum! x
Molliana

😞
I don't wanna go to my gp and i am especially not going to get my bits out 😞 I have bought some cream. Hoping that will sort it! Not having my period is more depressing x
T3D

Hi mollianna worth getting checked out as thrush is v common when we are on chemo. I was complaining about my sore tongue and tickly throat turns out I had thrush all at the back of my mouth and needed antibiotics to clear it up x
T3D

Round two done! Had my emend so hoping there are no midnight pukies this time! X
newey47

Hi Molli, hope you are doing ok.  Cant help with the period bit or achey bits as too old lol.  Hope it will sort itself out, or that someone else can help you xxxx Take Care xxx

Molliana

Hello Jay 🙂

Sorry for blurting this out but I am a week past second Fec. Anyone have slightly irritated bits?? Also haven't had a period ...I guess that's normal?

Thinking of you all xx
newey47

my sentiments exactly a third of the way through.  Yes i too am having hormone treatment after 6 chemo, 25 rads and then i suppose the hormone, i am having letrozole for 10 years so at least they expect me to be around that long so thats good, well thats how i am taking it anyway lol. not sure if you have hormone treatment at same time of rads or afterwards not been told yet.  Yes the questions keep popping up and this site really helps.  Take Care  Val xxx

Jaydubz52

Thanks Val, I only discovered this thread the other day & have already found it very supportive & informative (more questions to add to my ever growing list to ask my consultant next time I see him!). I forgot to mention he said he wanted to try me on some hormone therapy tablets as well once chemo is over. I imagine most of the April starters now will have either had their second treatment or be about to have it like me so I really hope that things become a bit more bearable for all of us. I keep telling myself that two treatments is a third of the way through! xx

newey47

welcome Jay to this little group of ours.  It is vey supportive and I have found it a godsend.  Yes you are prob having FEC-T, same as me.  But no herceptin for me.  I have had 2 of mine so far.  First one was not too good, but as you say ok after first week.  This time has been a little easier for me.  Keep posting and the lovely ladies will answer questions about anything at all.  It really does help us all.  Take Care Val xxx

June_BCC

Hello Jaydubz52

Welcome to the forums, you've come to the right place for support as the users of this site have a wealth of experience and knowledge between them.

If you would like to talk to someone in confidence you may like to phone our helpline  where you can talk to a member of staff who are there to support you. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Jaydubz52

Hello ladies, may I join you? I had WLE surgery on my right breast & SNB on 5th March this year. At follow up appointment was told cancer was IDC, 20mm, grade 3, both lymph nodes sampled were clear, weakly ER+, HER2+, therefore would require 6 chemo treatments, 15 radiotherapy treatments & 12months on Herceptin. Had my first chemo on 17th April, managed to cope ok with the side effects & felt almost back to normal after first week. My hair started to fall out big time after the second week though, so last night my husband helped me to shave off what was left. As I understood it my consultant told me before first chemo I would be having 6xFEC, then rads & Herceptin to follow. However when I went for my blood tests yesterday, he was not in clinic & the nurse found something in my notes referring to 3xFEC then 3x Doxotaxil (not sure how to spell it!). Anyway my second FEC is tomorrow afternoon, although the hospital are going to contact me today if there's a problem with my bloods & I need to go in early for any treatment to sort it before chemo. Have also been threatened with the dreaded PICC line as I have got "little veins"!  

Molliana

Ohhh storm 😞
What a bloody **bleep** day! Hope you are feeling better xxxxx
Huneebee

Hi Storm, hope you feel better soon. Xxx
newey47

Hi Lena, I think you are so right with the positive attitude, I too try to keep a very positive attitude and I am not going to let all this beat me either.  I do not go gym or golf, but keep busy running my b and b, and doing all the daily tasks I can.  However, I do listen to my body and rest when I feel I need to.  Lets all keep strong...... Val xxxx

Jane1978

Does anyone have achy breast bones and under arms etc ??? Making me paranoid but it's both sides not just affected side ??
whenmy2become1

storminadcup you have really had a bad time 😞 hope things are starting to pick up

re travel insurance have been reading threads on here and lots recommend eurotunnel - you have to ring rather than go online apparently

we had fab holiday to California planned for this summer and now need to cancel. Thought we would lose the money for the (really expensive) flights but looks like british airways are going to see what they can do (we had no insurance yet)

they are talking about delaying the flights till next year but I am just concerned I won't be able to get insurance for the US till treatment is complete 😞
newey47

oh storm, poor you, what a day you have had, I hooe ut gets better for you quickly. I know what you mean about smothering OH but its only because they live us, and better that than not caring, My OH cried too when cutting my hair. I just took it in mystride, its only hair at the end of the day. I have to say that the doggy episode did make me laugh, sorry but the image is just too funny, sorry. take care and fingers crossed you feel better. did u start anti sickness tabs the day before? this has certainly helped me this time round. val xxxx
Lena2

I started 24th March and had 3rd FECing chemo today. Start TAXOTERE next for 3 sessions. Had only slight redux on chemo 1 day 2 and 3 at night but absolutely no more side effects since. Cannot believe it. Oncologist says my positive outlooks helps and I am still playing golf twice a week, albeit only 9 holes, and 45 mins at the gym twice a week, but not going mad. I will not let cancer beat my I decided I would kick ass and hopefully I can continue to do so. All you ladies who started in April keep strong you can all do this we really are stronger sex. 😃😊😉
Lena2

You will get insurance but be prepared for the hike. My husband and I had annual insurance which ran out end of March. We go to Oz every year for 10 weeks and Europe 2 or 3 times a year so as I was diagnosed the week the insurance finished I shopped around. We were paying £290 per annum and have now been quoted £980 because I am still having treatment. A little of this may be age related as my husband is 77and I am 74 but he has no illnesses, no medication of any sort and neither had I until breast cancer. My BCNurse said this may go down in price when you tell them chemo has finished and op done. Hope so. 😂
storminadcup

Hi All, chemo 2 didnt quite go to plan. Had to go in early for bloods and thwn go back midafternoon
Couldnt believe what a wreak i was. Threw up over my nurse when she gave me the tingle in the bum med.... hope that doesnt become a learned response should my sex life ever resume.wentnhome an proceeded to vomit from 9pm every half hour so readmitted today. Am on Levomepromazine, cyclizine,dexamethasone and ondansetron.... and i cant Bloody sleep. ... and still feel sick.
Did i tell you that the OH has told me he cried when he found my hair in the bin - makes me feel guilty that i see his care as smothering.
And to add to the fun I left my softee on the hall table. .. OH came home to fins his mastiff had reached it and shredded it and then to add innsult to injury my old dog who has a puppy training pad as she cant uite make it as long anymore...had only fone and peed on it. Perhaps they are tellinf me i need the silicone one now
Really appreciate all the support im usuall a control freak and am finding thia ao much harder than insare share with friends and family.
Xx
jackiek55

Just checking in, finally had first chemo today. Feeling ok for now, hope it lasts! I've joined the May starters but will keep checking how you're all doing on here as well. Jackie xx

newey47

Oh thats good Td3, I do hope you will be as well as I am. I have been fine today.

Had a mixup with district nurse not turning up for injections. After loads of phone calls had to go to GP surgery, good job i was well enough, had to wait an hour cos nurse had to wait for ok from duty doc, even though she spoke to ONc dept. She read all the leaflet as didnt even know what the injections were about, I had to explain it to her lol. What a joke!!11 no departments speak to eachother........annoying Still At least i have felt well today, still expecting to come down with a thump maybe ina day or two - but being optimistic maybe I will be like this all the way through.

Anyway good luck for tomorrow, my fingers are crossed for you too xxxx

newey47

T3D

Glad to hear you're coping well Val. I have my round two tomorrow and have different anti- sickness meds to try so fingers crossed I'll be doing as well as you! X
Egret

Well done 1981mum! Second round done! (I am having mine next week)
As far as travel insurance is concerned, on the Maggie's Cancer Link, there is a list of insurance companies/brokers with telephone numbers, who might be able to insure someone with bc. The Maggie's list comes with a small note against each name, to give an idea of age restriction and medically based restrictions. Cancer Research also has a list. Egret x
1981mum

We do val, not much choice in this cancer lark is there
newey47

thanks mum, well I hoped I had escaped them but just have to take whats given dont we? xxx

newey47

ahh thats good Mint and thank you xxx

1981mum

Glad you're feeling ok Val!

Thanks Mint, fingers crossed I can escape needing those then they don't sound too nice

We've got some sunny weather forecast next week, I'm going to plan to see some family and nice lunches to make the most of the 'good week'
mint_tea

1981mum

They are white blood cell boosters. They stimulate the cells in bone marrow including neutrophils, to help try and avoid infections.

mint_tea

Day 6 of 2/6 for me and although last 2 days were rough, feeling like the fog has lifted this morning.

Val - fingers crossed you continue to get an easier ride this time.

newey47

Hi ladies

Day 2 round 2/6 for me.  Well no sickness last night.  Had my dinner and kept it all down.  Maybe starting anti sickness tablets the day before helped, fingers crossed.  Slept quite well too.  Up this morning took meds had brekkie and feeling almost human???? Is this a blip or will it last.  Oh I dop hope the latter.  

My white blood count was a bit low however, not enough to delay my chemo thank god, but i do have to have the GCSF injections for 3 days only.  District Nurse is going to give them to me as I dont think I can and OH certainly cant as he has needle phobia.

Hope all you other ladies are feeling ok and on the up.

Val xxxx

1981mum

Thanks- I'm going to splash out in an amazing hol next year!

Well done to everyone for yesterday x

Day 6 after round 2 and I'm human again !

Can I ask what the injections are you ladies are giving yourselves?
Egret

Hi 1981mum, the problem is that travel insurances exclude pre-conditions but cover everything else! Take care, Egret x
Cocolily

Nice to see you today Hazelr and good luck for tomorrow xx
T3D

Hi jane1978 I too had hideous indigestion and found that my grans old remedy helped she would drink cool boiled water. I don't know why it helped but it did so maybe worth a try Hope you feel better soon
T3D

Hi huneebee I think we are supposed to avoid chickenpox even if we've had it because of the link with shingles might be work giving your nurse a call to check x
Jo_BCC

Hi Huneebee

Sorry no one seems to have answered your question as yet, you might like to give our helpline team a call when they are open again tomorrow  they'll be only too happy to help.  Lines open at 9am through to 5pm (weekdays) and 10-2 Saturdays 0808 800 6000

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Jane1978

Well today i have been mostly suffering with awful indigestion !!!!!!! Gaviscon useless 😞