376052posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo April 2015

Cocolily

Re: Starting Chemo April 2015

Egret.. Your reply made me laugh out loud !!!
My last chemo tomorrow and will be so glad to see back of doxetaxel ... Yay
Eira70

Hi Jaydubz52. MUGA scan no prob. Injection first then about 20 mins in scan. But very open more like CT scan than MRI so really not too bad don't worry. Well done at getting there. Xxxx
Jaydubz52

Hello everyone, sorry not replied for a while, still grinding my way through that awful week / ten days after FEC! Glad to say that I completed my course of six chemo last Friday! Well done and congratulations to all those who've also finished and strength and fortitude to anyone still getting there. Hope you have a nice break Hunneebee, it's good to have a change of scene. I'm hoping to stay with family in Devon for a few days next Saturday and I'm really looking forward to it. Good luck with your surgery Jane, and best wishes for a speedy recovery. By the way, I'm having a MUGA scan on Monday, have any of the Herceptin ladies had one yet? I thought it was only going to be an ECG so I'm a bit nervous!

Huneebee

Now that's a lovely idea, Egret! Champagne drinks would be great for morale. Enjoy your bottle.

I feel in a funny place. I thought having a two week break would be great, but I find myself just wanting to get to the next bit, to get it finished and over. Any body else feel like that?

My OH has booked us to go away to Bridport with the van this weekend as a distraction. So that will be good.

Xx
Egret

Hi Huneebee! Does the special drink include champagne? I just splashed on a bottle of "special offer" bubbly at M&S. I am hoping to drink it with my poor enduring spouse, to celebrate the end of chemo. I got about 6 hours before sickness kicks in. I know, bubbly is full of gas and chocolate constipates. 

Please let us know whether the special drinks help, I hope they do. Egret x

Egret

Hi Cocolily, when I saw my turds floating, joy, I thought I might be eliminating fat! It was gas. Gas can also make turds float. I have post chemo 3 days constipation (little hard bullets) then 8 days floating diarrhoea. It's the chemo. I look pregnant, feeling that the baby is about to drop. Hope that helps!!! Egret x
familytree

Good luck Jane...one huge hurdle over with this time tomorrow x
T3D

Met with my lovely surgeon this afternoon. Booked in for mastectomy and full right node clearance on 27th. At least I'll get to go out for my wedding anniversary on 25th! Stay well ladies xxx

Huneebee

Jane, I hope it all goes well.

Hello all, after loads of pfaffing the last few days, my account has started to work again.

Dietician got in touch today by phone! I'm impressed, the waiting list is long, so she called to do an emergency appt.

It looks like my previous history of stomach problems has been the weak point the chemical has gone for. And they are indeed now saying the best way to get the bloating and irritation to settle is to take me off of food and onto special drinks. Thank goodness. As I am nearly coping with the pain of eating.
When she asked why I was eating, and when I said I was told I couldn't do radiotherapy unless I was eating, I think she thought I was nuts! Any way, she's posting drinks out to me tomorrow. I will be very glad not to eat!!!! Maybe I'll finally get out of these fat clothes and into some 'normal' ones in the next month.
Huneebee

Really, six months? Ahhhhhhh!
Tussie

Good luck for tomorrow Jane! It will be over before you know it! xx

Jane1978

So bed early for me my op tomorrow gotta be there for 7am 😫😫😫😫😫😫😫
Eira70

I'm on TC as well Gaynor xx
Eira70

Hi Gaynor. I was drinking Forever Aloe Gel if that's what u have. I asked oncol consultant about it he said it was fine. I can only drink it 10/14 days after chemo though as taste pretty tough to manage when feeling sick. Think it helps though xx
Molliana

Hi. I am only having Fec. I would say all this bloating is a mixture of steroids and chemo. The chemo is certainly messing with my tummy and constipation probably goes hand in hand with bloating! I am not sure about aloe Vera. I was drinking prune juice which I am sure would be allowed and definitely helps with constipation so in turn probably helps with the bloating. But I suspect that it's going to be an ongoing issue for you unless your onc can recommend something. The steroids tho are certainly going to be contributing 😞 x
Gaynor1

Morning Ladies,
Hope you don't mind but I'm just dropping in from the July 25 chemo club. I have also
Been suffering with extreme bloating over the last week or so and am struggling to resolve it (look 6 months pregnant) . I was wondering if if it is a known SE of T. It's really getting me down as its so uncomfortable, I have some pure aloe gel that I can drink but not sure if this is allowed ? Any ideas would be welcome . Oh I'm on a slightly different regime to most of you I think, I'm on TC. Due my 2nd one on Friday so would really like to get this under control before then otherwise I might pop!!!!
newey47

I have been told it takes up to 6 months to get out of system fgs - madness isnt it xxx

Eira70

The In Laws have finally gone today thank god but have now developed a root cannel infection. Ohh the pain is worse than Op. Have taken so much pain relief tramadol ect but not touching it. Another round if antibiotics. I think any weakness in the body chemo finds. What next.
And as for fat my knickers are even tight today xxxx
Molliana

I look six months pregnant only more wobbly! I have been living in linen skirts! I squeezed into a pair of jeans this evening but if anyone could have seen under my top it's not a pretty sight! I am wearing a sports bra again coz my normal bras are so tight now I was worried they were cutting the circulation off and I would end up with lymphodemia! And the stomach hanging over the top of my jeans is gross!! And I feel like I am so fat I can barely walk when squeezed into them! Lol. Hope I haven't made anyone feel queasy!
Cocolily

Huneebee, I hope mine clears up .. That's not nice 5 weeks after you've finished chemo .. I bet it takes ages for the drugs to get out of the system xx
Cocolily

Thank god Molliana I thought it was just me !! I look 6 months pregnant .. Can't fit into my jeans anymore and am wearing linen dresses !!! 1981mum I had 2 generals . Still an op but I'd say recovery is quicker xx
Molliana

Coco I have also put on 1.5 stone. I am ashamed of the size of my once reasonably flat stomach!
I have never heard of anyone having a lumpectomy being sedated unless they really couldn't have a general for some reason. It is definitely what I would class as a minor op but still an op nevertheless! The general anaesthetic itself takes a bit of getting over and then there is the op site to be gentle with x
I have a list of supplements I will be taking and d3 is definitely one of them!
1981mum

So does a lumpectomy happen under general anaesthetic? I've read someone on here just being sedated and it being just slightly worse than biopsy. Or is it much more than that?
Coco - first 4 rounds constipated BADLY docetaxel causes diaorriah though so on that I go 1-3 times a day for first 10 days then it settles. I can't wait for normal bowels ! Even when it's loose it's painful , think I've done some damage ( cringe) 😞 hope it's heals after I'm done x
I've lost weight but I can't eat properly so I expect that's why , wonder if I'll enjoy food after as much as before x
Cocolily

Thank you ladies .. Yes it does help to hear you have similar side effects with the stomach. I suppose the 1.5 stone I've put on since chemo stRted hasn't helped x
Huneebee

Cocolily,

My stomach has been a mess throughout. It is swollen & uncomfortable all the time. I'm just going into my fifth week after my last chemo. I thought I'd be better than this, if I'm honest. But my GP seems to think this happens to some people. So I'm seeing a dietician. I don't know if that helps, but I hope it reassures. Xxx
Jane1978

Oh moll that sounds very scary !!! Didn't us show up second lump ?! I'm constantly poking n prodding n working myself into a frenzy !!! Coco also I think mine has spread here or there or this is a lump that's a lump etc it's a nightmare but have to try and stay postive !!! I really do think ur mind can do powerful things n if u think it will happen maybe it will!! If uv had scans and stuff n they r clear I'm sure there's nothing to worry about we will have regular checks to make sure that stays that way !! Eat ur greens cancer hates them!!! Also walnuts if u can handle them impersonally think they r gross ! Iv so switched to organic veg where Poss! Does anyone take any bits n supplements ? I read but d3 is gud for repairing cells??
Cocolily

Hi. I had 2 Lunpectomy in feb both with no clear margins .. Decided to proceed with chemo .. My last chemo is on Friday and then mastectomy booked for 4 weeks time . Think I've decided to have diep flap from tummy only if I don't need radiation which I will know this week .. If Rafs then temp implant .. Hope ice made right decision !! Also advice needed .. Since chemo I've either had constipation and now last 2 months diahorrea .. My stomach is always swollen from beneath boobs and I look pregnant .. Has anyone else had this .. I keep thinking cancer has spread or is it the chemo effecting my stomach ?? Thank you in advance x
Molliana

Ah ok val. It's on my mind whether to request the other one be done. Tho I am waiting for the genetic results so trying not to think about it til then. I don't think I would have Ld flap on the other side tho and would maybe consider just an implant.

Jane. I had two biopsies and they still could confirm whether it was cancer or not so they decided to remove the whole lump and biopsy it. I didn't have a clear margin at the bottom so had to go back in for reexcision. While they were there they decided to take some more round the edges and in doing so they found another lump which then that one didn't have clear margins. They were concerned that we kept getting surprises so recommended mx and I would have been worried about what else was in there too. xx
newey47

With regards to getting on here and replying.  I have found I have to log out and log in again each day then I can reply ok.  Seems mad but there it is. xx

newey47

re: driving etc.  I had to wear a bra day and night for 8 weeks too to make the shape they said.  They were quite insistant about the driving, they said any pulling could really damage the implant and we might have to start all over again.  I didnt want that so I suppose I was extra careful really.  Even told me how to get up from bed etc, were very very insistant that I take it easy for first 8 weeks.  Had to do the exercises of course, which did help.

Val xxxx

newey47

Hi Moll

Yes thats why I am still on here, can help people with questions going through surgery, and on our facebook page too.

I had MX with Lattice. It dont look too bad, but it is still tight and pulls.  It is a lot higher up than the other one, but has dropped quite a lot since the surgery.  It has no nipple or feeling of course, and has a big dent in the side, which I hope will fill out and drop more over time.  They have said they can match the other one later with an uplift/implant, but tbh I dont think I want to touch the good one, unless its really necessary at some point.  I look fine in clothes, I just hoist up the "old" one on the bra strap, and leave the other one where it is and it looks ok lol. I do still have a cleavage too which is good.

Val xxx

Jane1978

Yes toldms wat to expect n that may need another one or
Even mx if margins r not clear etc is that wat happened to u moll?? I ant got any boobs anyway I would maybe feel better if was having em both off n immediate recon like Michelle heaton but knowing gunna hav lopsided isn't filling me with confidence lol x
Molliana

Val what recon did you have? I hope I haven't asked you that before. Just 8 weeks not driving! That was such a long time!
I will also add that I had my mx with immediate recon and node clearance in march too. Prior to that i also had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy. So if anyone going for surgery has any questions I am sure we can answer xx
newey47

Just wanted to offer all you ladies haveing surgery, of any kind all the best.  I had full Mx and node clearance and immediate reconstruction but believe me it was a doddle compared to chemo.  Yes you cant drive for a while, in my case 8 weeks, and everything is still tight and pulling and I had mine in March.  But at least there arent any side effects, which can only be a bonus.  I understand that you heal quicker from lumpenctomies so you really all dont have anything to worry about.  We have been through the worst part...... I believe all the res is much easier.

Anyway good luck to all of you and heres to quick recoveries for you all.  and dont be scared or worried its all gonna be fine xxxx

Huneebee

Best of luck! I'm sure op will go well.

It's taken me days to figure out how to get back on here!!! It's bad enough having chemo brain, but this was taxing me somewhat!

I've lost track of what's going on, so I'm off to have s good read.
1981mum

Best of luck Jane, only natural to be a bit scared I think but hopefully you'll make a quick recovery
Have they given you the low down on what to expect?
newey47

Sorry for late reply, been trying to reply for a couple of days........

dont have any direct experience of letrozole yet, just what I been reading etc from others.  Thats why Im dreading it, apparently the cheaper brands have more side effects, and people are having trouble sourcing from chemists the ones that the they want.  I can do without all that rigmarole and dont want any more SE;s from anything.  Had enough of them tbh.  will keep you posted on how I get on with it. xxx

Molliana

Hi. I had a wire fitted. It was fine! I was petrified of going under too. Sobbed all the way to theatre with the blanket pulled up to my eyes. When I woke up it felt like I had barely been gone x
Jane1978

I said all that in one sentence 😂😂
Jane1978

Wow u ladies can talk lol iv been away for two weeks and just had to scroll back 5 pages to see what id missed !!!! I'm
Such a nosey cow !! Lol pleased to see a lot
Of u ending ur chemo and tumours shrinking etc woop woop!!!!! I'm
Abs shattered ev bone n muscle aching but I'm not sure if it's just general tiredness as
Was up at 430am
This morn for journey home and been out every day walking etc yesterday me n sis n kids were running up sand dunes and sand surfing back down them so maybe Sumat to do with that eh?! Lol anyway **bleep**ting it for my surgery on tues gotta have a wire fitted first by local anaesthetic so dr knows where my lump was then lumpectomy after I'm scared of goin to sleep even tho iv done it before and I'm scared I will be laid up so madly washing all hol clothes m done marathon shop hence why I'm feeling and looking like someone of walking dead!!!!!!! And I'm not exaggerating got some right stares in asda !!!! Xx
T3D

Thanks ladies

val I still have a three week appointment schedule for a years worth of herceptin! But your right I does feed odd to be done.  Off to meet with my surgeon on Tuesday so will have a better idea of what's next after that. 

Stay well all xxx

Eira70

Great news T3D, hope next few days ok. My last is week on Tue. We r getting there ladies xxx
Molliana

Yay T3D xx. Rest up xx

Val. I wonder who you say "dreaded letrazole"? Any reason specifically? I don't know much about it. It's just my mum is on it and not having fun at all. Her mx is not healing still and it's weeks later! She is headachey and lightheaded .... Do you know much about it? I am wondering if it's the cheaper one of the alternatives.
newey47

well done T3D, its a strange feeling when you come out though isnt it, I found anyway. All finished and thats bloomin great, but so used to the 3 week cycle in the diary, it feels a bit strange without it.  But My god I am sure glad that bit is all over.  I have my Rads planning appointment next on 18th august and hope to start at end of August, 3 more weeks and all treatment over, apart from dreaded letrozole!!!

Hope the SEs are not too bad for you this last time.

Val xxxxx

T3D

Well ladies I'm done! I had my last chemo today. Can't tell you how odd it felt looking forward to going for it as I'm usually a bit panicy and absolutely dreading it but I couldn't wait to get there today. Hope you're all doing well. X

Eira70

Oh dear Egret hope SE easier this morning. On Monday I felt so awful I considered ringing 999. I didn't just being drama queen. Take it hour by hour. We have to believe we will feel better tomorrow or the day after that. Hope u get some awaited infoxxxxx
Egret

Just a 2.6 cms lumpectomy on my left breast (the surgeon expected 1.6 cms, it was bigger than expected), done 5 weeks after referral by my GP. The lump was outside the mammograms's field of vision, right by the cleavage, too deep to be seen. It was also above the heart, hence my fear of radiation leaking. Such a little lump, all removed, clear everything - and the whack of treatments! Chemo side effects getting worse, I will have to report blood in stools for the second time, if I get through to the nurse or doctor. Sunday, I sent a letter by recorded delivery about transfer and radiation, as I heard nothing yet. Yes Sunday, the big Tesco has a post office open on Sunday! Sending my love to you Moll, Egret x
newey47

well thats good then, you got some food inside you.  And yes it must be good to have a secret moan - all helps

val xxx

Eira70

Well back in one piece. Steak and chips wasted on me but cucumber in salad quite nice. Least got some protein in. Thanks for support. I'm smiling to myself sitting next to in laws cause they don't know Iv been able to have a secret moan. Most Iv eaten for a week at leastxxxxx
Molliana

Ohhh that makes me cross Eira70. That's bloody thoughtless. I hope you find the strength to not beat them over the head with the pepper mill while you are out!
Grrrr!