cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo April 2015

1,393 REPLIES 1,393
Molliana

Re: Starting Chemo April 2015

Ohhh i am sorry. I hadn't noticed your post.
How is it now I appreciate it's three days on?
I haven't cold capped but there is definitely one lady in here that has and maybe she will post shortly.
I am very surprised you haven't lost your hair completely if you didn't cold cap on your second or third Fec! I certainly lost all my hair by three weeks after first Fec. I can't say why it would be causing you problems six weeks after chemo now tho. However I suspect if your head is sore then it's likely your hair is coming out quite fast. How have the last three days been? x
hopefulholly

I hope you don't mind me popping into this thread but I could do with some advice on hair loss.

I used the cold cap for my 1st but not 2nd and 3rd FEC. I didn't get to start the T due to complications. My last FEC was 6 wks ago and although I lost a lot of hair I still kept a fine covering and had a pixie cut, didn't need to go the whole hog and get it shaved. However, I've lost more hair in the last week, especially the last couple of days and the painful and sensitive scalp has returned. My BCN said a few weeks ago that I shouldn't lose any more so I'm surprised to be losing hair after 6 wks of no chemo. My hair did grow back a bit in between so I'm wondering if the longer, thus heavier, strands might be causing this? I'm concerned because the small patches of baldness are getting bigger and I'm actually considering having my head shaved because of this and the pain.

I would appreciate any advice from those who have ended treatment. Thank you and best wishes x

Molliana

Hi Egret. I think the chatty ones among us are always going on on our Facebook group. We are neglecting here a little bit.
Are you ok? How are rads going? x
Egret

Molliana, I wanted to thank you for this thread. I have transferred to the September Sizzlers, as I started rads. Hugs, Egret x

Welsh girl

Haha! Yes I see what you mean now, I can very happily share my toilet experiences then without feeling I'm the only sufferer!
Bibi44

Thanks Molliana. It wasn't half as bad as I expected. Trying to get the cannula in was the worst bit. 5 goes! I'm having a port in next week & I think the nurses were pretty relieved to hear that. Anyway, I know the worst will come later, so better today up a bit before then. xxx
Molliana

Ahhh hey 🙂
A lot of us have come to the end of chemo now. I am glad you have found us all useful! I wasn't the one with the tennis ball! Mine felt more like crapping glass! Lol
We might not have talked quite so openly at chemo 1 but by the time chemo 2 or so comes around they might be a bit more open 🙂
Feel free to drop in here and ask tho if you wish! Or pm if it's seriously embarrassing! I am open to all sorts of topics 🙂
Well done on getting through your first chemo. I know you hear it all the time but it will be number 3 soon enough and then it's a countdown to number 6 xx
Bibi44

Hello

I just wanted to thank you all for being so up front & honest about your chemo side effects.  I start my first FEC-T tomorrow & have spent the morning at Tesco stocking up on prune juice, figs, dulcolax & the like.  Obviously a nervous day for us, but we laughed our heads off at the "I'm not allowed in the downstairs loo in case I blow the house up" & "my farts are worse than the dog's". I am on the August 2015 thread where everyone is very polite & not a word has been mentioned about all this.  I can only say a huge thanks & hope you are all feeling really well now. I will also feel a bit queasy about tennis next time I have to pick up the balls Val! Wish I was you lot ..... xxxx

Huneebee

Egret, that's fab news. I'm so glad you're being treated well. Xxx
T3D

Good to hear egret have a fab holiday x

Egret

Hi!  Sharing good news.

I hope everyone had a good weekend.  

Rad from 14 Sept to 9 Oct. The rads were delayed at my request, so that I could have a holiday! 

The Royal Free Hospital team is so caring, I could cry.

Not only caring but efficient:  3 appointments, two phone calls, one letter (CC to me) informing my GP, detailing my diagnosis complete with what I told my new Registrar. Tattoos done (I was offered a choice, permanent or temporary ones); and tomorrow 1 1/2 hour breathing lesson. Everything arranged within 1 week. Even the parking is specially reserved for rads patients and very close to the entry door!  I am very impressed.  

Not a word from the hospital in Hammersmith since removing my portacath last Thursday. I was neutropenic (0.6 neutrophils!!! that's pretty low!!!) but my old hospital did not ask to see my blood tests - although my new hospital did them in case I needed them. I was so desperate to get the portacath out that I said nothing. 

Yipeee!!! I am going to France next week for a holiday!!!  Wish all of you well!!! 

Egret x

Molliana

That does sound like they have reactivated a little confidence. I hope it continues. One step closer to the end of treatment. When do you start rads? x
1981mum

Sounds like a good clear meeting egret
Glad it went well
Good luck for your first session x
Egret

Hi!  Rads

I met the RFH team, they were welcoming and gave me a full explanation about everything, including radiotherapy.  I was told I have pre-cancer cells on my L breast.  I don't think I was told of this before - 4.6cm, this is in addition to the 2.6cm removed lump. The 4.6cm has not been remove. This is why I need rads. The chemo destroyed any new iffy cell, but because those are "pre" (i.e. not touched by chemo) my two treatments (chemo+rads) are complementary.  So, I get not 3 weeks of rads - but four! ****Sigh****

Then the explanation about leakage to heart and L lung were clear, honnest, and straightfirwards.  

The risks are low, there is a breathing technic to lessen the risk to the heart, but the leakage will cause scarring to the lung. Still, the (low) risks  outweighted the risk f recurrence, unless the 5.6cm  pre-cancer cells are zapped bybrads.

I signed the consent form.

I have asked for a definitive transfer to the Royal Free Hospital.

I hope you are all recovering well after the weekend, and yes, I have a champagne long weekend by the sea! It was fanatstic! 

Egret x

Tussie

Hi all, I am wondering if we should always be given a recommendation to bring a companion to all our appointments. I remember when I got the BC diagnosis I was on my own, also when I once met the oncologist, OH been with me all other times and it is really evident to me it is impossible to digest all given information. Often he have to remind me what was said and discussed in the meetings as I just can't remember. It is all so upsetting. Yesterday I met with the oncologist as she also oversee my radiotherapy treatment , can't complain about continuity of care here, and I had the opportunity to ask her about my chemo and why she choose my particular regime, this she had explained before but that was when I was on my own so couldn't remember and I really wanted to know so got that question mark out of my head.

Huneebee, so hope you feel better today, thinking of you xxx

Egret

Hi 1981mum!
I get my portacath removed on 20 August by the hospital in Hammersmith, but the day before I meet the Royal Free Hospital (RFH) team. I am at ease at the RFH. My kids were born there. I had a working relationship with them for years. I will get that transfer. Reading this thread has giving back the courage to fight on. Thanks for your support, it means a lot to me. Egret x
Egret

Hello T3D!

Retraining for medical staff in communicating upsetting information and how to truly support???

The more I read this thread, the more determined I have become. Hold tight. Sending good vibes. Egret x

Egret

Oh Huneebee, I am so sorry.  Sending you lots and lots and lots of love. 

Just in case. 

I have not mentioned before, but I know how to get health records. Each of us can ask for a copy of our health file, this includes everything the hospital has.  I know the legislation, but I am like anyone else, caught  like a rabbit in the car headlights - I am incapable of fighting at the moment. I am afraid of hostile comments, of getting hurt, of untruthful comments in my file. I know I am not in a position to cope with it. I have used the Acts in a professional capacity. Yet, here I am, paralysed, as you know from my lengthy moans.

So here it is:

Under the Data Protection Act 1998, we have a right to access your own health information.  Access must be allowed within 40 days. Guidances say 21 days. The other Act is the Access to Health Records Act 1990.  The Trust can charge a fee for photocopying, but you can read the records free of charge. It is not (in my experience) a good idea to read one's own records, but you can sign a letter of authority to a named someone to go through them. Each Trust must have a form, normally you can get it from the hospital PALS. The form is very easy to complete. It is better to have someone not on the hospital payroll to help you. It could be a friend or a relative, or someone working for a charity. Sometimes hospitals have a Citizens Advice desk.

I am giving this information, because if you mention that you want access to your health files, perhaps the doctors would explain with more care. I wonder whether one of the charities, Macmillan, BC care or Maggie's, could be present to support you, when you meet your doctors.  It is better to have someone outside your hospital Trust, for independence.

The way the news was given to you was unethical. And yes, there seems to be a legal breach because for each newctreatment, the Health Trust must have your consent and signature. An oral or deemed consent is not sufficient. 

If you need more legal stuff, I can try to find out.  My heart goes to you. Egret x

Jane1978

Oh dear that sounds rubbish!!!! I
Have had a crying day today too!!! My 90 ur
Old gran kept saying to me u have had a tough time and u r very brave !!! So I cried then she sed don't cry lol the. My friend put a card through door saying something about when I smile again and it will be soon etc so that set me off again!! I'm also being extremely paranoid! Evey time my back
Hurts every time I see some veins that look abit blue any time i have an achy arm or stuff neck I'm thinking the worst !!!!!!! I can't help it I'm freaking out here !!!!! 😢
T3D

Met my breast care nurse today first time I've had an appointment with her as I'm a chemo first girl!

I bawled my eyes out acted like a complete idiot! Once I started I couldn't stop I felt totally out of control. I started when she asked me if I'd thought about what I would look like after surgery and then sobbed with each subsequent question. I'm surprised I wasn't dehydrated by the time I left! Came away with a free bra, a fake boob and was completely exhausted.

not sure where that reaction came from as I'm completely happy with the full mastectomy decision and realise that the node clearance is really necessary, I do wonder if it's because it's the first appointment I've been to on my own so I didn't have to be brave for anyone else? 

Hope everyone else is doing okay x

Huneebee

Thanks guys. I agree we all need things in an individual way. I feel like I'm on a conveyor belt. Then when I ask a question something else appears for me to deal with.

Somehow, I coped through chemo, but I'm finding the rads worse. I don't really understand why.

I feel quite down now, and all they can do is sedate me to keep me going. So I go in for rads, come home, sleep all day, my OH wakes me up to drink and go to the loo, then I'm back to sleep again. Repeat the next day.

Normally I find a way forward, something to change my emotions & thoughts. But this time nothing works.

My counsellor is off sick with a bad back, my rads Consultant is never available and had the cheek to ask if I needed a Counsellor. She would have known I had one if she'd bothered to check my file. Sometimes I just want to give her a piece of my mind. Underneath the Cancer, I'm a human being with feelings. Sorry guys, having a real downer.
Jane1978

So it's for the best they doin the rad here too!!! I know it's a shock for you and they should have told you properly from start sometimes our heads were all over the place in the beginning taking everything in just wasn't possible ! Hope all goes gud for you! U had op first then before ur chemo x
Eira70

Huneebee, this drip feed info very difficult to deal with. For me I have dealt better with it that way taking lots of time to read/ask questions but that is a very individual way to go and I can understand your feelings. I am wishing as hard as I can you can get through your rads. Try to find the strength to stick with it. Everything crossed for u xxxxxxxx
Huneebee

Thank you all.

It turns out me tumour was deep into my chest wall which they cut into to give me clear margins. But it was right next to my lung.

So the consultant told me it was deep and in chest wall, but not that my lung was involved. I signed the consent totally unaware I was giving permission for radiation to be targeted at my lung too.

The lovely radiographer showed me my file and talked me all through my pictures and the treatment. I was just so blown away.

I was in hospital just ten days ago with pain in that lung, which they guessed was inflamed lining. But I also had damage to it the week of cancer diagnosis, as I had pneumonia, pleurisy and flu. They Respiritory Consultant cryptically told me to watch my lung and report and pain or unusual stuff quickly.

I just wish they were straight with me from the beginning. I would have taken in my stride, as we all have to. I have really hated this drip feed of information.

So I had the second round today. They're being very careful. As soon as my lung plays up radiotherapy will have to stop.

Having a brain block, but big hugs to whomever had their last round. I hope the SE are not too nasty.

I also agree with everybody else if the hospital messed up situation! Please get the nice one to do the procedure for you, so that you are treated well. Xxx
Jane1978

Egret that sounds awful!!!!! They really do not know wat they r doing!!!!!!!!
Hun- that's made my heart thud never mind yours wat on earth r they playing at ?! Would
Demand u speak to someone today !! Make sure u do? U had any symptoms etc ??? Best of luck !!!
1981- if u have to have another just think
Of it as 5star insurance !! Soon be over and do u mean 5 years of tamoxifen ? Is urs hormone positve ? Wish mine was it's only slightly positve which means won't benefit from it 😫
Eira70

Thanks 1982Mum. SE hit almost immediately and shocking upset tum through the night. But knowing there is no more and I only need to get over this one is having good effect. really hope this is your last today. But if not you r so close. Hang in there thinking of you today xxx
Eira70

Ohh Hun you shouldn't be left to worry like that so cruel. What symptoms do you feel could have been linked to this and have you previously discussed them with your consultant? How were the rads yesterday? Hope you slept. Wish I could do more than sending love and virtual hugsxxxx
T3D

Oh hunnneebee what a shock that must have been for you. Glad the wine and choc are helping x

egret what a nightmare you're having hope it all gets sorted soon x

1981mum

Eira hope you are coping ok post chemo c
1981mum

Eget! No words, real shambles. You do what you want to do, can you refuse the op under Hammersmith? Is that an option?

Hun - lung?!? What the hell? is it serious ? What's the deal? I was told by my oncologist last week it will not get worse whilst having chemo ? ( I'd been having nightmares it had spread and my scan would show bad news)
So why would they tell you a lung is in play?

I'm off for 7th chemo tomorrow and pray it's the last one. I've had enough, sitting dreading the next week but , hoping one more and I can start to recover

I've been doing some reading on tax. My doctor told me 5 years , but I've read some come off at 2 to try and conceive. I really want a baby but no idea what my risk is. Lots more questions !!!
Tussie

Egret, I hope you get the transfer sorted, no one deserves to be messed about like you have been.

Huneebee, sorry you have had such a rotten day, glad the alcohol and chocolate helped to calm the nerves, doesn't it always!

Did you sign the concent form for the lung to be radiated? The doctor have an obligation to explain everything before you sign on the dotted line. Demand an explanation tomorrow. Good luck xxx

Huneebee

Egret, you so deserve to be treated well, with as little stress as possible. It sounds diabolical.

My turn to rant! Although my hospital have dealt with it. I went for my first Rads -appt today. The radiographer drops the bomb that my lung needs rads! Not what the Consultant said-news to me. Gutted, tearful I had my first session. Totally catatonic crying and unable to talk to anybody. When will they tell me the truth ? The lovely radiographer showed me my file, so I know the truth.

The Consultant who promised faithfully to be there, was not.

Came home. Cried all afternoon. My lovely OH called my GP, who told him to get the sedatives out of the cupboard and settle me down. Devastated my lung is in play. But ur explains the recent problems I've been hVing, and nobody seemed surprised about.

So completely chilled out now has Prosecco with chocolate. Not sure the GP prescribed that. But I feel loads better!

Keep going ladies, we will all get there! Xxx
Eira70

Re: Starting Chemo A

And rant all you like that's what we r here for xxx
Eira70

Egret, please get your definitive transfer. This really can't go on for you. Fingers crossed you get what's planned again xxx
Egret

Hello! 

Everything that could go wrong, has gone wrong at the hospital in Hammersmith.

Aaaaaaahhhhrrrr!!!! I want to cry. I feel sick, I am sick, and I want to throw up. 

The hospital in Hammersmith has done it again. I got messed up.

They rang just now, telling me my portacath removal operation under anasthetics will be on 19 August, the same day than my first appointment for rads discussion with the Rpyal Free Hospital!  

How can I be expected to have two blood tests in two different hospital between 8:30am and 9:30am? The hospitals are over an hour apart!!!  How can I be at the Royal Free Hospital in Camden at 9:45am for blood tests and meet my new treating team at 10:00am to discuss rads; then hurry accross London to have an operation at the hospital in Hammersmith by 13pm?  I am pre-diabetic (if not diabetic by now with all this stress). So, rushing to two different hospitals, without draink or food, my blood sugar collapsing, before an operation?

WHY DID THE HOSPITAL IN HAMMERSMITH NOT BOTHER TO COORDINATE PROPERLY MY TRANSFER, and to ensure that I am not asked to be at two different places on the same day?

Surely, they did not count on one Registrar referral letter (14 July) without any follow-up - to ensure a link? Anyone out there caring??? They had 3 weeks!!!

I received my Royal Free hospital appointment only last Saturday, and by Monday I wrote first class to the Registrar at the hospital in Hammersmith to inform. What more could I do? Surely, it is not the role of the patient to ensure continuity?  

Sick as a parrot - this did not help -  I had to bargain over the phone - bargain!!!? and decide. Why me?

The sense of unreality was as thick as my chemo brain fog. I had to explain: I could not be in two different hospitals, taking a chance (!!!) to be on time for my portacath operation by 1pm, while not knowing how long i would be needed at the Royal Free Hospital! 

I had to point out that an operation in the following weeks with no date set, might be a guarantee for another impossible situation. The operation could clash with my rads. When will my rads start? I have not a clue, I have not even sign the consent form! I don't know yet, I am meeting the new team on the 19th only!

I might not be able to cope with an operation under anaesthetic AND rads on the same day, plus zigzgging London for 3-4 hour from hospital to hospital. It did not appeal to me!  I could picture my bloody chest put under the rads to be burnt, an offering to the Mayan rain god.

Luckily,  the nurse who rang me was nice and willing. The bargaining ended up with me being very upset, reeling, and very ill; and she being very calm

A compromise. 

The portacath operation is now re-scheduled for 20 August. Grim, at 8:30am, solid traffic jam! Public transport in full rush hour? God knows how I get back, another £40 cab fare? My hubby and I decided to risk taking our old car and use the £40 towards a meal out.  

Feeling better just by sharing my woes.

I will definitively ask for a DEFINITIVE transfer to the Royal Free Hospital. 

Egret x

Huneebee

Eira, good luck for no 6, a step closer to the end! Xxx
Egret

Thank you for all your encouragement Eira70, and thank you to everyone else for sharing my relief and my joy! I must admit it made me feel soo gooood, although post chemo I am as sick as a parrot (champers for mañana) and I am falling about due to fatigue. 

Eira70, steroids can mess the body, it can interfer with blood sugar level, sleep and mood. It is one thing to know, and another to cope with all this **bleep**. I think we are on edge at times, not only us, but members of our family, because it is hard for us and our family, when so many are enjoying holidays, to be stuck at home with us and our chemo and the side-effects.

We need a good break. Getting there. Sending my love, Egret x

Eira70

Thanks Molliana. Had productive night making cup cakes for all lovely people at my daughters stables who have been so kind to her. Cleaned kitchen, put dishwasher and washing machine on. Small positive of steroids. Have good day everyone. Will be very glad to join the no more chemo gang. Hang in there if your not quite there yet we r getting there. Xxxxx
Molliana

Ohh Eira70. Don't be too hard on yourself. An argument over the tv can be fixed x
Best wishes for number 6. Finally it has arrived. I hope it's not too bad for you xx
Eira70

Great news Egret great to hear u r getting service you deserve. Iv had day of steroids ready for no.6 tomorrow. Can't wait to get it over but am really dreading after math. Have managed fall out with my 15 yr old daughter over what we t watching on tv. Blaming it on steroids but ahhhh cross with myself. Hope the sun shines again tomorrow makes me feel so much better xxxxx
Jane1978

That's fab egret!!!!! One less thing to worry about !!! Xx
Huneebee

Egret, that is the best news! I'm really chuffed for you. Xxx
Molliana

Ah good news Egret. You sound so much better! 🙂 x
T3D

So pleased for you Egret. That more like it. Enjoy that champers! X

Jaydubz52

Thanks Eira, I'm browsing my wardrobe now, to get some ideas for stuff to buy! Not been shopping since pre chemo so getting a bit giddy! Really pleased for you as well Egret, I know myself how frustrating it is when your hospital isn't communicating the way you want it to and I think you've had more of a problem than I have. It's such a relief when all is resolved. Enjoy your champers! And to everybody - enjoy the rest of the weekend! 

Egret

Hello!  Some happy news to share! 

I got my transfer to another hospital for rads. No more long journeys! Only 15-20 minutes away! Hooray!!!  Even better news. I got normal communication at last.  From my NEW HOSPITAL.

Champers tomorrow!

I wrote to the hospital in Hammersmith to ask for news about my transfer for radiotherapy. I got it!  I can now put the bad memories of my old hospital behind and drown them in champagne. Easy girl, don't rush to buy that second bottle!

The hospital in Hammersmith reply was amazing: a copy of my Registrar's referral letter to the hospital in Camden. The letter was dated 17 July. Why did I not reveive a copy at the time it was sent to the hospital in Camden? Why leave me in the lurch? Of course no proper reply letter, not even a complementary slip.

To compound the sense of unreality, the Registrar, who had not seen me for 3 months (mid-April to 14 July) told my new Consultant in Camden, that she covered extensively rads. In 30 minutes? To update on 3 months of chemo, to discuss the removal of my portacath, for me to ask questions about the rads, for her to tell me of the timetable and then, the bomshell - my request for a transfer? My hubby, who was present, said she did not answer my questions. I did not sign the consent form for rads. As I said, no explanation, no rads.

Last Tuesday after receiving copy of my transfer' letter, I rang the hospital in Camden. My phone call was returned after 5 minutes!!! I spoke to my new Consultant' secretary. ACCESS!!!  She told me to bring the Registrar's letter, she could not find it on computer. No surprise here. I also bought a letter in which I expressed my wish to be introduced to my new treating team and to speak to someone before radiotherapy.  

Yesterday -within the same week - I got a letter from my new Consultant Oncologist at my Camden hospital giving me an appointment for 19 August. I am truly delighted. 

But for now, time for my six anti-nausea tablets, and a bath too, I stink of chemo. Sending good thoughts, Egret x

T3D

Congrats Egret! I got really frustrated with myself for having side effects after the last chemo it was almost like as I'd had the last one I shouldn't of had any lol. Still haven't had my champers as now on bloody antibiotics but wedding anni on the 25th so will wait til then! 

Egret

Hello! 

Champagne celebration postponned!  

My chemo nurse said "wait for 48 hours or it could interfere with your chemo". Sigh. Instead, I got an additional i/v dose of anti-nausea - that will be another 30 minutes (in the business class chair) said my helpful and smiling nurse. At home, I am on anti-nausea and anti-acid tablets with my senna tea (yuk) but no champagne (yet).

We are getting there, ladies, one by one, congratulations! Cheers! Egret x

Eira70

Jaybud52 I felt just normal after. No problems although because I started Herceptin at beginning it has been a while since I had it. Can't actually remember not feeling tired but pretty sure I was fine. Retail therapy always good idea if u r up for it. Enjoy xx
Jaydubz52

Thanks Eira, have seen the odd mention on the forums about MUGA scans but not much else. Do you recover quickly afterwards? Or does it knock you out for the rest of the day? Mine's a morning appointment so I was hoping for a bit of light retail therapy in the shopping mall near the hospital later! I'm still waiting for my first Herceptin appointment and my first radiotherapy appointment as well.