cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo April 2015

Tussie

Re: Starting Chemo April 2015

Hi all!
Glad to hear you feel ok at the moment Mollianna and long may it last. Went for a wig fitting with a friend yesterday, got on much better than I thought I would, brought a friend along so she helped me choose. I will try the cold cap because I have to stay for 6 hours the first time I have chemo due to starting Herceptin at the same time so the cold cap won't delay my time in the chemo unit. If I don't get on with it I just leave it be and use my wig and hats. X
Molliana

I cried going up the stairs to the chemo unit. I cried through most of my info session. But I only teared up a couple of times after that. it's completely because you don't know what to expect.
I will keep updating and let you know how I feel. I feel ok at the moment. Just cooking dinner 🙂 I think a wig might have been tried to be delivered while i was out so might pop to the post office if I can resist the urge to sleep.
newey47

Thanks for the info Molliana.  I start next Tuesday 14th so will follow your posts with interest.  I am so glad it wasnt too bad for you this first time.  Hope it continues that way for you.  Take Care Val xxx

T3D

So pleased it went ok for you. I have six days to go and can feel the "rabbit" in the background already so I'm assuming I shall be fully in the headlights by Tuesday too! Thanks for posting as it really helps to know you got on okay x
Molliana

Hi everyone
Well it was pretty scarey! It's all over now tho. When I say scarey I mean I was like a rabbit in headlights for the whole time worried about what was going to happen next.
I decided not to go cold capping. But the actual drugs going in was ok. The nurse manually put them in so was sitting there the whole time and chatting. She said the last drug would make me feel a bit sneezey and to be honest I felt terrible for about fifteen minutes. More than sneezey. Like me nose and eyes were being pushed out of my head. So just lightheaded and generally heady!
I am ok now tho. Tho my mum just said I look a bit spaced out and I guess I do a bit. Just ate a tangerine and missed my mouth completely. I feel like I need a slap.
Anyway, they were really nice. Ask me anything if there is anything specific anyone wants to know.
storminadcup

Thinking of you today and sending you all my positive vibes.

xx

Tweasel

Hope it goes OK today Molliana - will be thinking of you. I didn't bother with the cold cap for several reasons: I didn't much like my hair anyway, it sounds fairly uncomfortable and you need to stay at the hospital for quite a while longer if you use it. I understand though why some ladies do choose to use it, but it just wasn't for me xx

newey47

Hi

I sorted out my own wig appointment before chemoand even before my surgery, which I had first.  I wanted to choose when I was well and up for it.  I went with my sister and we had some fund choosing wigs, went shopping and had lunch out too.  I bought one wig privately and then they put the other one aside for me until the referral from hospital came through, which took a while, and I picked up on one of my visits after surgery.  I have also bought hats and scarves etc ready.  I need to be prepared for when the hair drops out....... I really did not want to bother with the cold cap, it all seems a bit desperate to me, we are going through enough already bth and the hair will eventually grow back

Good luck xxxx

T3D

Goog luck for today mollianna. Hope it all goes well x
Jane1978

The cold cap sounds awful to me ! My nurse advised me not too and now I'm glad Iv shaved my head and got some nice hats and wig. Think the cold cap makes u suck n not guaranteed to save ur hair anyway ! As for nightmares u tried sleepers. ? I have some for emergencies lol ! Did they not scan your boobs at same time ? Thinking of you not WAiTING me n hubby had buried me twice waiting for my results ! Positive vibes coming ur way xxx
Molliana

Damn. I have been awake half the night. I had a horrible nightmare that there was a girl called Metastasis sitting on the end of my bed and she wouldn't leave me alone. She looked like a cross between my twin sister and one of the lego men on the xbox!

Also I am waivering about the cold cap. I am thinking if there is even a tiny risk for scalp metastasis then why would I even risk it! My hair will grow back. I don't know why they can't sort out the wig appointment before you start chemo so that I would feel much more confident about not doing the cold cap!

I am also completely panicing about the ultrasound I have right before chemo on my good boob! It's been painful down the outer edge for weeks and there is definitely thickening.

Ggaaa!
mint_tea

Good luck for tomorrow Molliana. Let us all know how it goes. If you get a chance too I'd recommend getting sleeping tabs to take to combat the steroid effects, worked a treat for me last time and only needed for a couple of days each cycle. My oncologist encouraged it. I start Friday afternoon so will be just behind you!

Jane1978

Iv jugs started fec-t had one lot due next on thurs ! My first one was ok I wasn't sick which is gud as I'm a sickly person ! Hope The next one is the same ! Hope u do ok xxx
Pinkbaglady

I'm halfway through my chemo but felt I had a useful contribution to make for Molliana so hope you don't me posting here. Yes, they will wet your hair before using the cold cap and you need conditioner. My unit insist it is Simple conditioner and they use a lot! It's very painful to start with but after 15 - 20 minutes it does get easier. Take some paracetamol half an hour beforehand to help. Also buy some dry shampoo. Wash your hair as little as possible and use the dry shampoo in between. I'd spent 2 years growing my hair when I had my diagnosis and was desperate to keep it. Mine has thinned but I have no bald patches and haven't needed to use the wig I bought or headscarves at all so far. Good Luck. Hope this helps a bit.
DJ007

Hi Molliana, 

If you look in the chemotherapy section of the forum, there's a 'Top Tips' thread that might help. 

The steroids they give you are corticosteroids, normally dexamethasone. They have two main functions, they reduce your risk of having an allergic reaction to the chemo and they also help the effectiveness of the chemo drugs. They do have some side effects (SEs) of their own - they can keep you awake and a bit wired (be prepared for 2am cleaning sessions) and can give you a bright red face a day or two afterwards.They also stimulate appetite. 

HTH. Good luck!

Dx

Molliana

Has anyone been to their chemo info session yet? I am having mine on Wednesday right before I start treatment so won't have enough time to take it all in.
I was wondering what they give you steroids for?
I was also just reading a leaflet about cold cap and it says you have to have wet hair and apply conditioner to leave in while the cap is on? Anyone heard of this and whether I have to take conditioner with me? Or anything I might need to take on Wednesday?
x
Kellc

Hi tussie Joint Pain kicked in on sat night ached all over have plenty of painkillers spent the past two days sleeping but beginning to feel normal again just had some chockices as mouth is a little sore.just take it easy

Tussie

Hi Judimam! Hope you get your appointments through soon, it helps to have something to focus on. Good luck Molianna for Wednesday and everybody else who will be starting the dreaded chemo this month.
Kellc, was it really bad? I am due for echo on the 10th and if all well TC on 15th April. Yesterday I eat so much chocolate in desperation I almost felt ill, now there is none left in the house, apples do not have the same attraction unfortunately!! x
judimam

Hi girls please may I join your group. I had WLE and SNB on 12th March (grade 3 stage 2a) and I am currently waiting to see oncologist and for a date to start chemo but I "hope" it to be this month. I am struggling with the waiting and I really need to know my plan of attack. Thankfully kids are currently occupying my mind while they are on school holidays. Good luck to those of you starting this week xxx
Molliana

I have lots of chocolate and intend to eat whatever I want since starting chemo in three days I doubt it will matter! I think I will be a wreck by Wednesday!
Kellc I hope you will feel better xx
Kellc

Four days after my first tc chemo not feeling good today aches n pains and it's a lovely sunny day what a waste but I have have a lovely weekend with my family so I am going to take it easy

mint_tea

Hope the easter bunny bought you lots of chocolate to distract you from the countdown Molliana! Waiting is the worst, once you are through the first one you can start the countdown to the final chemo!

storminadcup

It's ok  Molliana we're all here willing you on.

Thinking of you and sending all the positive vibes I can xx

Molliana

Getting nervous now. Three days to go 😞
newey47

thanks D for all your encouragement, hope and info - appreciate it xx val xx
newey47

thanks tracey, you have a lovey easter too, forget about all this for a couple of days hopefully. Val xx
T3D

Hi Val. There are quite a few of us April starters already aren't there. I'm having my chem first and will have surgery and radiotherapy after. Having a definite date is scared but at least it makes you feel like everything is moving forward. Have a lovely Easter
Tracey
Tussie

Hi DJ007
Thank you for your inspiring post. It has given me hope and also encouragement to try and keep things in perspective, easier said than done I know but one can only try ones best.
DJ007

Hello everyone

I very rarely drop by the BCC forums these days, but this time four years ago I was waiting with trepidation for my first chemo. I'd already had an mx, with full node clearance and immediate LD flap recon and, after my FEC-T chemo, went on to have 25 sessions of rads. 

What can I say... Chemo is sh""te but 'doable' - I got off reasonably lightly with sde effects, but everyone is different. With the advice of your medical teams and the support you will find here, you will find your way through. What I can say is tha,t four years on from starting chemo, I am back (and have been for some time) living life to the full. Yes, I have some scars and lasting effects of treatment, but I work full time, ride horses and party hard in my 'spare' time. Since finishing active treatment I have been on fabulous holidays, walked up Snowdon (raising lots of money) and done all sorts of things that, in the depths of chemo, feeling a bit crap and with no energy, I could only dream of.

Hang on in there - it will pass.

I've done stuff I might not have done without my cancer diagnosis, but the one thing that I really cherish are the people I have 'met' (virtually and in reality) and life-long friends I have made because of it. I hope that you are all as lucky.

I see that there are a couple of you for whom this is the second time round. For those of you facing BC for the first time, please don't get too spooked - it does happen, but doesn't always. For those of you facing this again, I wish you luck and there were two people I know who were going through treatment the same time as me who were 'second timers' - one recurrance and one new primary. They are both well and happy and I had lunch with them a coupleof months ago.

Sorry for rambling, but I just wanted to drop by and offer a bit of encouragement. Good luck to all of you. 

Dx

jackiek55

Hi everyone, can I join you? Starting 6 rounds of TC on 22 April after having Hickman line fitted. Had left mastectomy followed by e-CMF in 2008 and then 5 years of Tamoxifen, thought everything was back to normal only to then find I had a new primary on my right side. Had right mastectomy a month ago followed by full clearance of nodes, 2 out of 13 infected. This time triple negative so no hormone treatment. Chemo was doable last time, so hope it goes as well this time. Wishing everyone the best of luck with their treatment, just remember to listen to your body and if you feel tired just get as much rest as possible. Jackie x

newey47

Hi Rita

I am starting FEC-T on 14th so a couple of days before you.  I have only been given my first two dates 14th Apr and 5th May, so cant map out the next 18 weeks as you say, but could work out on calendar I suppose if I wanted to.    They have given me a heart scan on 17th Apr lets just hope I am up to that otherwise will have to postpone, still waiting for bone dexa scan too - would have liked to have got the scans out of the way first, in case I am not up to it, but will just have to alter if I have to.  Thought my chemo was dependent on scans, but apparently not as I was fit and well during Mx surgery.  Lets all support eachother through this tough time.  Take Care - one very scared and apprehensive - Val x

newey47

Hi T3D

Just heard I am starting on April 14th too - yikes......been waiting but now I have a deffo date its a bit scary.................surely noone can get all the side effects as you say.  Lets all keep in touch and compare notes.  I have been given a date of 17th for Heart scan, lets just hope I can make it as its only 3 days after my first chemo- is it a good idea to go in and have that then?  I will ask chemo nurse when I am there.  I had my hair cut short before my Mx, ws so much easier to handle afterwards, also got my wigs and hats and scarves at the ready lol.  Take Care Val

Rita11

Hi All. Just found out joing you all. Start FEC-T on the 16th. Weird putting dates in calendar and knowing what next 18 weeks will look like. Really strange day feeling much better post mastectomy but now feeling anxious which I know is normal. Look forward to sharing rubbish journey with you all.
Debtex

Hey ladies , I just wanted to wish you all good luck . I'm from the October 2014 thread . I finished my chemo 6 weeks ago and am 2/3 of the way through rads . I found chemo difficult at times ,but there were many days when I was ok , went shopping , met friends , rode my horse ,cleaned the house (a bit !) but I got through it , got used to the ups and downs , good days and bad days . I kept my mind focused on completion and knowing that I was in a temporary situation and would come out of it knowing I had done everything possible . I wish you all well and like many have said before me , use the forum as a means of support as friends and family can only do so much and don't always understand in the same way as people on the forum xxx
T3D

Hi I too am an April starter. My first FEC is scheduled for April 14th so storm I shall be thinking of you too that day! Had my pre chemo chat this week - info overload. I did come out wondering if any poor soul has ever had ALL of the side effects there are just SO many ! I was a little like a rabbit in the headlights yesterday but have calmed again today. Got my short haircut booked for Friday morning and then will be ready and waiting!
Lovewine

Hi ladies, i am like Rosie from April 2014 thread- as Rosie says the forum has been and continues to be a massive support during the past year! I had Fec-T and herceptin starting a year ago this week, i had chemo before surgery, then radiotherapy afterwards, now having herceptin. My first chemo session i was terrified, but it was painfree, sat talking to other ladies whilst being given chemo, nurses are lovely. Dont put up with side effects, there are medications to help with everything, Emend for sickness, diffilam mouthwash, etc, etc, so dont suffer! Also if you contact macmillan you are entitled to a grant to help with things- i got £400.00, as i am self employed it really helped me. I carried on working throughout all my treatments and found to keep life as " normal" as possible helped me a lot. You will find sharing your worries and good and bad days on here very comforting, i wish you all the very best, you will feel more settled as your treatment gets started. Wendy.😄
Molliana

Hello everyone!
I guess I am going to be the first to start in April so far.
I have had my echo today. It was fine except I had to get my newly reconstructed boob out which I wasn't that keen on showing but the lovely lady was just that, lovely
tonight I am meeting some random strangers in a pub. They all happen to be under 50 and have had breast cancer! I am a bit nervous and it's definitely a bizarre journey I am on 🙂
I hope you are all ok today x
Tussie

Hi April girls, may I join? Had 2 WLE, grade3 invasive DCIS, SLNB clear. Saw the oncologist today for the first time, talk about overload of info! Anyway, the BC nurse went through it all with me afterwards, such a lovely lady, gave me all the time in the world. Having TCx4 alongside with Herceptin. I signed up for a randomised trial, either I will have 6 or 12 months treatment with Herceptin. Can't get my echocardiogram until later this month so not sure when chemo starts. After that,who knows, my choice, radiotherapy or mastectomy, my decision according to the surgeon. Take care everybody and thanks for listening.
Kellc

Had my first of four treatment today having TC.
This is my second time with bc had it in my left side three year's ago and now a new lump in the right side.Its triple negative this time the other side was estrogen positive so its a new cancer and has not spread .Have to look at all the positives.I have had a central line fitted as my veins were not good and it made it so much easier. Off now for a rest

newey47

well done you Storm, good to give them a shock, we had had enough of them.  Look forward to sharing our journey with you.  I am waiting for a start date at the moment, waiting, waiting, waiting........I will be having FEC-T.  Doesnt really matter what your having does it, its all a nightmare, and we are all on a similary journey.  Take Care Val

storminadcup

Hi Ladies,

I too am an April Fool ...

Chemo start on 14th just EC for me. 

Have had the pre chemo hair cut so gone from shoulder length blonde to spikey reddy purple. My mother was quite shocked and was about to utter the words " what will your father say" when I pointed out in about 5 weeks it will have falen out!

PS I AM 50 so quite chuffed I can still shock em.

Anyway girls we will kick this well and truely in the butt.

Molliana - go be our pathfinder, we're proud of you!

newey47

Hi Mint Tea, I will be joining you too.  All support is great, it really does help.  Take Care  Val

newey47

Hi Molli I will be starting sometime in April.  Just waiting for date, bone dexa scan and heart scan.  Hopefully, (what a stupid thing to say - hopeful for having chemo lol) will hear this week sometime.  3 weeks post MX and node removal - doing ok.  Val

rosie14

Molliana well done for,starting the thread I am sure you will unfortunately be joined by others😏 I am from the April thread last year although I had my first chemo on March 27th. I joined the April thread as most ladies would have been on their second session.
The thread and the forum have supported me all the way through the journey and I am sure I would have ended up most depressed without it. I live in Cyprus where there is no emotional support they expect your family to support your emotional needs here and it's a bit hard when there is only my husband and me here! I do have three grown up children 2 in the UK and 1 in France.
Sadly some of our ladies have stopped posting but some of us still post and we are meeting up in July when I come over to the UK. We have shared so much not always cancer related. We have helped each other and shared our experiences through chemo, surgery, radiotherapy and for some of us Herceptin.
You can do this and you have come to the right place where you will be supported each step of the way. Good luck and do post regularly with any worries.
mint_tea

I will join you! I had chemo (TAC x 😎 originally in 2010 after bilateral PBC diagnosis, now have SBC so am about to start another round (trial so not sure yet which drug). Waiting to get my treatment dates but expect to start next week. Although I found it very doable last time round (worked full time, had a 7 year old, carried on as normal) this time I am more fearful so be good to have the support here.

Molliana

Starting Chemo April 2015

Hi.
I have been waiting for someone to start a thread for April but it's not happened so here I am.
Starting Fec x 6 on April 8th and looking for anyone else who is starting around the same time.
I know I have to get through this for my 4 year old. Just not sure i can do it on my own.
Diagnosed after finding lump before Xmas, two biopsies, lumpectomy and shave and now 14 days post mastectomy and immediate reconstruction. 37mm tumour grade 2 er+ pr+ her2- 1/10 positive lymph glands.
xx