cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo, June 2010

Kenni

Re: Starting Chemo, June 2010

Hi ladies
hope you all don't mind me joining you here. Started my 1st chemo yesterday. I am going to have 4x ec and 4x t. I notice some of you are doing fec rather than ec as I am doing. I just wonder is there a different in it or should I ask my oncologist next time I see him.
Didn't have any side effect at present and seem to be crazing for greasy foods such as fish and chips etc. Since I found out I have BC, I have virtually become a vegetarian. Don't know whether this will help to prevent further cancer or not.
Getting lot of tip from all of you regarding what to expect and also what will help when encountering se of chemo.

Guest user
Not applicable

I had my last of 6 FEC yesterday. You will get there. I just wanted to tell you all about a drug called Emend or Aprepitant. It is usually only given in the private sector for BC but my Onc got it for me on chemo 5 as I has sufferred with sickness and nausea. She had a fight on her hands but got it and it did work. There are side effects though such as headaches but if you are really sick it is worth asking for. I would also recommend lots of water but know that is difficult when you are nauseous and it tastes of metal. Hang on in there and good luck.

Guest user
Not applicable

I had my last of 6 FEC yesterday. You will get there. I just wanted to tell you all about a drug called Emend or Aprepitant. It is usually only given in the private sector for BC but my Onc got it for me on chemo 5 as I has sufferred with sickness and nausea. She had a fight on her hands but got it and it did work. There are side effects though such as headaches but if you are really sick it is worth asking for. I would also recommend lots of water but know that is difficult when you are nauseous and it tastes of metal. Hang on in there and good luck.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hope all 7 different potions sort our your mouth Naomi! Did they offer any advice about avoiding the problem next time around? You really have been hit hard but sounds as if you're on the mend and sensibly avoiding infections. Love the timing of the sewage van! Pity you missed sports day, but at least you avoided any potential mothers' race disasters...

Went strawberry picking today - so delicious and SO healthy! Plan to eat very well all weekend before the dreaded visit to chemo suite on Tues. Really NOT looking forward to that. Do you lot go it alone or take someone to drive you home? I have my onc appointment at 9.40 followed by treatment, which was really delayed last time, so I don't really want to ask a friend to take me in (OH came first time and mother in law (!) last time). Is it silly to drive myself home? Felt bit odd but not bad for a day or so after sessions 1 and 2.
Hope sickness subsiding, Sandra.
Have a good weekend all

Sue

sandra4

Hi Ladies, Yes Naomi, took me by surprise as well, for those ladies that wonder what l am talking about, woke this morning to a cup of green tea and a plain biscuit, before l could have either the room spun round and l grabbed the sick bowl (first time sick) and one week today since chemo. Sooooooooooo l really do think it had nothing to do with the chemo! l only felt sick for the first 3 days, so to have been sick today..........Just one of those things. Just had some nice 'toast' feel really hungry but taking it slowly!
Other than that mouth still feels a bit woolly, but still tasting food, so can't be that bad.
Hope you are all feeling good for the weekend, looks like it might rain here, very soon!
Sandra xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

HI everyone,
Carol, I hope you are ok after your second chemo. Its all such an unknown it will be interesting to hear how it compares to the first. I do so hope noone is suffering too badly out there.
I'm in heaven with a cinnamon bun at the moment. Its amazing to not feel sick. I started having slices off the second cinnamon bun and keep going back for more so I should just put the whole damn thing on a plate. I'm going to get so fat on chemo, eating at regular intervals is the only thing that helps. It starts at 5am when darling husband gets me the first bowl of weetabix.
I went to the doctor yesterday, I think I actually managed to impress her with my ulcerated mouth. She took one look and rang the onclogist. I ended up with 7 (yes 7!) different prescriptions, thank god they're free, blessing the wondrous nhs again.
She phoned this morning to say my white count was so low I wasnt to leave the house or admit visitors, I promised to be at sports day this afternoon so granny has gone instead. That made me sad.
I didnt tell the doc my sewage pump has broken so we did have to have a visit from- of all people- the sewage pump man, who proceeded to spray raw sewage all over our car and the drive. Ususally I'd have to deal with it all so I just stayed upstairs chuckling to myself at the irony while DH got the hose out.
Sandra (if you've got this far!) I read on another thread you were being sick- whats that all about- how awful at this late sage.
sorry to go on a bit, just so pleased not to be feeling sick yay! just got to get rid of the belly ache and all will be good. Does anyone else have that bye the way? A constant gripey pain in the belly?
Naomi

Guest user
Not applicable

Tina, antihistimines sound mighty sensible then! Hope today goes well. Shame it's such a lovely day to be stuck inside. Is it quicker to do Tax - that's next for me after FEC? Am guessing as you still have cc it's the same amount of time stuck there though. Hope you're home and warding off SE soon. x

Guest user
Not applicable

Have the antihistamines due to being very allergy prone, have had anaphylaxis before and since the epi allergy they just dose me up. Thank you Juile and scoobs, treated myself to Danish pastry today, taste will be off for next week! satp, I have a portacath only because my veins didn't cope, it's a day case here with a GA, with a hickmann you have to go in for a flush every week and you might find them restrictive especially as it is summer! Hope everyone else recovers quickly from their sessions! Hugs! Tinax

sandra4

Hi satp
I started the first of my 3FEC last friday, before l started l spoke to the onc about the line,l had heard of so many with problems with their veins! didn't want any more problems than l already have!
We decided l would see how the first FEC went and go from there, Well the first was perfect, not a bruise! l think they take so much care now, l remember 10 years ago, going with a friend, poor girls hand was black and blue all the time. Now they put a heated blanket on to 'pump' up the veins, and left it on while they did the E as it seems that is the worst one for causing a problem with the vein.
Good Luck with whatever you decide
Sandra x

Guest user
Not applicable

Tina, hugs back to you for tomorrow. Hope it's an easy-ish one. Why do you take loads of antihistamines?? Am curious.

Carol you too - happy second chemo! Strange to put it like that, but at least it's another one nearly through. Good to go for a curry to take your mind off it. Might think about doing that next week when it's my turn. Am in awe at your allotment digging in the wig on such a warm day.

+ Nem, glad to hear you're sounding a teeny bit better, though still sounds horrible. Your poor mouth. Have they given you something for it?? Good you've got your mum on hand.

satp, hope you don't mind me asking, but why do you want a line in from the start? I think it's great if your veins are gone, or if you hate needles, but I'm sure it carries a risk of infection too, so I'd guess you have to weigh it up according to what your Oncology team can tell you. Welcome to June thread though. Sorry you've found yourself here with us, but we're a friendly bunch!

Guest user
Not applicable

I asked a friend who's a consultant anaethetist (can never spell that) about having a line put in. She said that all procedures carry their own risk (especially general for a portcath) and advised me not to have one. Obviously, if my veins give up in a future treatment, I may well end up with one, but she said not to pre-emp that scenario. So I took that advice. Veins ok on 2 chemos so far, so fingers crossed. She did say though for people with a real needle fear, some sort of line takes away that stress.
Good luck tomorroe Tina - hope you had a tasty supper tonight before taste buds go down the tubes - or maybe that's not the case with Tax.
Sounds as if you're on the mend for the moment Nem - you really got unlucky this time. But then again, I've got it into my head that SEs shoe the poison is working on those little cancer buggers, so bring it on! I almost want to lose all hair, to prove it's working on all fast-growing cells. Probably a very un=scientific viewpoint I know!

Sue

Guest user
Not applicable

Hiya
I start 3x FEC & 3xTaxotere on Friday 18th June. I am thinking about an Hickman line as I can see on this website a few ladies who have encountered problems with their veins when IV - any thoughts ladies??

sandra4

Hi Carol,
Oh gosh second one already! hope it goes well for you, they soon come round! or do they? hopefully your bloods will be perfect, full steam ahead!
Good Luck
Sandra xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, ladies

went for my blood test this morning. Hope my WBC is OK. The nurse gave me the phial of my blood to give a little shake for luck. She said she does that with all her ladies. Hope it works!

Went into work for a couple of hours but couldn't get my head round the spread sheets my son has created to make things easier. I'd rather do it the long way. So I gave up and went to the allotment instead-I don't have to think there. It was too hot really and new I shouldn't be out in the sun too long even though I had factor 30 on and several layers of clothes.

I couldn't wait to get the wig off! I will have to put the thing back on as I am going for a curry with some friends this evening.

Second Chemo tomorow-yipee!!!

Hope everyone is feeling not too bad

Carolxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,
I'm smiling from the whole bike, wig/hat flying off scenario. Also smiling at the idea it might be possible to ride a bike while going through this. Theres hope.
Thank you so much for the kind messages. Its so lovely to feel supported even when being negative! Still feeling rubbish- a bit less sick which is a huge relief but the stomach cramps and aching bones are terrible- just looked in the mirror and the whole of the inside of my mouth is scarlet with fetching white blobs on. lovely.
Kids, husband and mum all being totally fab. There is something deeply comforting about being fed chicken soup by my mummy even if I am nearly 38!
Gill, I thoroughly reccommend getting a hair cut. I had mine done a few weeks ago, I went from very long to very short. everyone loved it and we are all used to it now. I can't imagine dealing with either long hair or cutting it at all at the moment. I have a friend lined up with the clippers as soon as it starts to come out- I might even do it before- but theres always this little bit of hope that it wont happen isnt there?
Top tip for tar mouth- ginger cordial and fizzy water with loads of ice.
Good luck tommorow Tina.
It sounds like youve coped brilliantly Sandra- lets enjoy the next couple of weeks until next time.

Guest user
Not applicable

Not brave enough for wind&rain with wig either! Wear my buff instead, eyelashes all gone now, odd, still disappointed that cc did not work for me! Sue, sure your student will be ok, still planning on coming to Swindon next week? Loading doses of dex&antihistamines today ready for tax/c tomorrow, will get lots of spots again I am sure, Gill, I never had this many spots when I was a teenager! Sandra, hope the se's are managable! Big hugs to all! Tina

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning All - Nem, how are you?? Really hope you're feeling a bit brighter. I keep thinking about your bath and how scary that must have been. Maybe you're a bit more your old self today?

Gill, I know what you mean about chocolate, but am still determined to eat some! I managed a glass of wine last night with a very old friend. Tasted wrong, but felt right if you see what I mean.

Mrs Sloth, not long now. You'll feel better once you're through the first am sure. I like your list of favourites. Get yourself a good dvd for Friday night to distract yourself. I felt strangely hyper after my first session. Might have been the steroids..

Carol, that massage sounds mighty good. There are some complimentary therapy days coming up near me soon, so I should book myself in and follow your lead. It's an outreach day run by one of the hospitals, so you've inspired me to dig out the leaflets.

Sandra, buying clippers is brave!! We have some in the cupboard and my other half has said he'll help me when I'm ready. Am wondering when hair goes..? I'm on day 13 now. I know I used the cold cap, but for some reason am not expecting it to work. Some of the scarves I ordered came yesterday so I had a practice tie yesterday. Didn't look too terrible, but obviously I'd rather not!

Scoobs, do you like your wig then?? I'm not sure whether to go get one or not. Made me smile the idea of you scooting along with one hand on your head. Do they really come off that easily?!

Hope everyone's good today and not too spotty/ sick/ or similarly challenged xxj

Guest user
Not applicable

Wore a new hat to cycle the children to school this morning. Too windy! Had a tricky trip home holding the hat with one hand. Have now put buff on underneath and hope it'll stay put... Certainly can't risk wig on bike and I'd find my life much worse if I had to walk/get in car rather than wizz around on my bike. Going to a friend's for lunch today and might make a swift hat-to-wig swap on the doorstep!
My 11 year old is having his French exchange partner to stay for 4 nights today. Hope he's not freaked out by bald host!
Hope SEs are phasing out for all today.

S

sandra4

Morning Ladies,
Carol, oh the back massage must have been lovely, feel as though l could do with one of those, those injections certainly give you pain in the back, might have to take some pain killers today! the mouth is still a bit wooly! but not too bad, sickness seems to have gone! although i find if l don't eat for a couple of hours then l do feel a little sick, so little and often!
Ordered some hats and towel turbans the other day, and they came yesterday, really pleased l ordered bright colours, hopefully they will cheer me up! only for in doors though, wig when out!
MrsSloth, not long now......2 days and counting, enjoy your last day at work!

Gill, hope the spots are fading fast, how does the hair feel? still tingling? a friend said she couldn't put her head on the pillow her head was so sore! Going to buy some hair clippers today, good old argos! as soon as l see the fall, off with the hair! l think! so very afraid of the hair going! just emotions l know!
I can see the leaves blowing in the wind today, l will be worried about going out in the wind, until l get used to it. Never realised you should NOT wear a hat with your wig, seems it leaves a mark around the hair, and it wont come out! glad she told me that as l might have worn a sun hat to protect the wig! oh and she said keep out of the rain as much as possible as it takes up to 8 hours to dry the wig!
Hope everyone has a good day
Sandra xxx

MrsSloth

Oh Nem, how horrible, really do hope you start to feel better from now on and the next lot of treatment isn't so bad.

Today's my last day at work as I'm not planning on trying to work through treatment so I will be on a mix of left over annual leave and sick leave. Feels quite weird!

We did a music quiz last night at our library and won, so we got the chance to donate the quiz proceeds to a local charity - chose the cancer centre where I'm going tomorrow! Seemed like a good idea..... (Also donated the wine we won to our team mates as neither of us drink!).

Starting to get a few doubts over all this, but I'm sure having the chat tomorrow with the team will remind me why I'm going to put myself through this!

Guest user
Not applicable

Julie

had a heavenly back massage, very gentle because I'm on treatment then had make up done. I aske her to show me how to do my eyes. she showed me a trick to do with a brush and eyelinerpowder to make it look like you have eyelashes if you lose them-don't know if I will or not. It was done at a shop that only sell organic products and all their treatments are organic. all were free today for BC patients

Carol x

pina_c

Guest user
Not applicable

Bad luck Nem - sounds awful. I certainly have very altered/broken sleep but nothing that bad. Sounds as if you should talk to your BC nurse/onc well before next time. Are you managing to drink loads to wash it all through your system? I can't imagine the really bad SEs will last more than a few days.
Thinking of you and fingers crossed you're on the up.

Suexx

Guest user
Not applicable

Haven't got much time but just saw your post Nem. Poor, poor you. I think you win the prize for worst SE by a long way. Not that you want it, am sure. Just wanted to say that the SE do seem to wear off, so I'm sure you'll feel better soon. What have your team said though? Surely they can tell you better than us. And if it was an allergic reaction are they sure you should have the same combination again? Really sending you big hugs for feeling better soon. xxj

sandra4

Hi Nem,
Really awful for you having such a rubbish time on you first TAC, everything crossed that your 2nd TAC is more bearable.
The mind boggled at the thought of your huge body geting into that tiny bath! how awful for you.
Yes it must be really hard on the children, last thing you want to put them through, very difficult, so sorry, but as l say everything crossed for an easier time! enjoy the sunshine, if your eyes can open enough to catch the sun
Happier days for you
Sandra xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

hello everyone, I've just crawled out of my hole- blinking into the sunlight.
Ist TAC last Friday, I had some sort of allergic reaction so I couldnt breathe - fantastic medical team as always, but they basically just have to give you some piriton and get on with it. I was ok on Saturday then completely laid out Sunday and Monday. Not actually vomiting but feeling so sick with a yawning black hole in my belly. It was way worse than I thought, the idea of going back and doing it again makes me hysterical. Something is causing extraordinary dreams and altered perception. I couldnt work out how to fit my huge great body into the tiny bath this morning!
I really dont mean to freak anyone out but I didnt realise I would be so completely unable to do anything. At least I suppose we can be better prepared next time, it was hard for the children to see me so ill. Also when its happenning you think its never going to end so today is a relief. Can anyone ahead tell me how ok the next bit might go? I'm still barely walking, will I be able to get up and go out in a few days?

Guest user
Not applicable

Second tax on Thursday, trying to clear up infection in portacath scar until then with antibiotics, back on industrial amounts of dex and antihistamines tomorrow. The metallic mouth lasted for two weeks out of the three for me, drank fennel tea, nothing else tasted nice. Starting to look odd now no eyebrows/lashes left. Chucked mascara in the bin, will treat myself to new one when they grown back. Hope the se's will subside for all real soon! Hugs to all. X

MrsSloth

Hello all!

3 days to go and I am getting a bit nervous. Did the Race for Life on Sunday morning, that was a nice day out, went for a pub lunch after! In work today and tomorrow then it all starts.

Interested to read that some of you had problems with spots - I've got them now! 42 years old and I look like a teenager - maybe with chemo I'll go the other way and they'll improve!

Stocked up on some favourites over the weekend (lentil soup, smash, baked beans, canned spaghetti) and also got ginger biscuits and fig rolls - you never know! Hubby has promised to leave me in peace on Friday night after the first chemo and go and watch the England game in a pub. If it's anything like our first one against the USA I'll be asleep anyway....

🙂

Guest user
Not applicable

Am feeling lucky, as I'm so far spot free. Poor you Gill, though at least it's good the heartburn has abated.

Carol, sorry the hair's going. Clever move to cut it short. I think I'm in denial or something as I have lots to lose.. Hope you're feeling okay about it though. Have fun at the makeover. Is that the one that charity runs? You'll have to let us know how it goes.

Sandra, I have the funny taste too. Driving me mad, but I feel pretty good apart from that, so I don't mind it too much. For some strange reason I'm eating loads of celery as that tastes good with it!

Wishing you all well today everyone. Least the weather's picking up xj

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning, ladies

Day 19 for me today, the hair is showering everywhere! good job it's very short

Sandra, I had the funny taste for at least 4 days, everything tasted horrible. Still not drinking tea or coffe but I'm enjoying the herbal teas.

Gill, I got spots on my chest!

beautiful day here -off to drop-in this morning and my free makeover this afternoon, how can they improve on perfection!ha Ha

have a good day

Carolxx

sandra4

Morning Ladies,
Well day 4/5 whatever! woke this morning for the first day without feeling sick! hope that is promising and not the calm before the storm! Had a bit of a funny taste in my mouth last night, but that has gone, probably something l had eaten.
A beautiful day, so the washing machine is on. Walk the dogs then out shopping while all is good!

Julie, Well l would hope your onc would think the cold cap was a good thing, or would have a lot to worry about! Not sure why mine is so against it, but l have known about him for over 10 years and he has always felt the same, so at least he is consistent!! or as l said once before, perhaps he likes bald women!
Be interested to see why no injections with the FEC when you find out xxx

Sharon, Good Luck with your first TAX today xxx

Tina, Glowing face yes! Moon face NO! xxx

Gill, Heartburn now spots! No wig! not a pretty sight! Hope the spots are on the move, hope you haven't caught my grandsons chickenpox! xxx

Viv, No nausea that is good to hear, l did have it quite mild, but it was enough to put me off some food. Must say not looking forward to the joint pains, already seem to get them the the white blood cell injection. so don't need anymore xxx

Hope all the ladies l have not mentioned are feeling well xxx

Have a Happy Day
Sandra xxx

pina_c

barneyb

Gill - I had the same problem with spots after my first Chemo. They were shocking, much worse than I ever had as a teenager, but thankfully that was the only time I got them and have now had 4 chemos with no repeat of the spots.

Hope it's the same for you.

Beverley xx

vivrog

Hi
I have had 2 TAx so far and I would say the SEs are very different. I wasn't given Emend either and have had no nausea on the Tax. My main SE is bone/jointg pain, oral thrush, diarrhea and stomach cramps. I have also stopped having periods since starting Tax. My onc has gi ven me Nystatin for the mouth problems, Lansoprazole for the stomach and co-codamol for pain. I would also say I am more tired. One other thing is that the SEs don't kick for me until day 3 which is different to FEC which was almost immediate.

Viv x

pina_c

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, switched from fec to tax, had my first cycle and main difference bone and muscle pains, due to the amount of steroids face quite "glowy"! Swelling in face, too. Also on emend which worked fine for me. Still having very regular periods, too. Probably a bit more tired than before but as you count down the chemos that's probably normal!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, I'm due to have my first tax tomorrow, and i'm worried how i am going to be. I havent had such a good time on the fec. The first and third were awful, but no.2 wasn't as bad. I had awful sickness with no.1. I took emend for 2&3 this helped really well. But i got terrible heartburn, i was prescribed omeprazole 40mg which i take every morning, this did help. My onc told me on fri that i wont need emend with the tax, as it doesnt make you feel sick, but has other se's. Could anyone who has had tax, give me any idea of how its different to the fec. Also i have still got my periods, has anyone else carried on bleeding?

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Sandra - That's great that you've had no SE. Hooray!! Long may it continue. I asked my Onc if the Cold Cap would stop the chemo getting to all areas. She laughed and was hugely dismissive, saying did I really think she'd recommend it if there was any evidence it compromised treatment?! She talked me into trying it, as I was pretty much dead set against. Curious how they all say different things, isn't it?

Interesting to hear about the injections. I have to inject on Tax apparently, but they're not doing it for FEC. Who knows why?!

Hope you're all having a good start to the week. Sunny here, which helps. xj

sandra4

Hi Julie, still feeling good, waiting for the s/e to kick in!!
the injections are called 'granocyte' I inject for 10 days after chemo, they are to boost the white blood cells, l did start a thread about them think it was called'granocyte does it work for you' on the day l had my chemo (11th) l was just interested, and wondered why everyone doesn't get them? xxx

Jackie, wonder if there is any evidence with regards to the cold cap and the chemo not getting to all the areas! because that is why my onc doesn't like it! l would be interested to know, my onc is so dead against it! with regards to the injections they are fine xxx

Sandrae, well done you on looking after twins of 20 months, keeps your mind off yourself, Lol! oh l had the beetroot face today, thought l had caught the sun! l almost look healthy! xxx

Hope all your side effects are easing off
Hugs to all
Sandra xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Carol, welcome. Nice to have you with us. Hope you're avoiding too many SE.

Deb, that's great you've got your appointment through. You've been waiting for an age. Not long to go now, though I'm sure it feels like an age away.

Suze, hope the Grandson visit was tantrum free. How old is he? Bet he's cute. Must be exhausting too though, so take care.

Yeay to Sandra, glad you're through the first and so far so good. Hope it's still the same. What are your injections for?? I didn't have to do that. Only came home with steroids and anti sickness tablets.
Cold cap was fine for me. Still have hair, but only Day 10 of first cycle so hard to say if it's working or not. Fingers crossed for us all. At least one of us should have some joy!

+ finally welcome to you too Sandrae. You're a trail blazer being on no.3 FEC. Sorry you've had some trouble, but it's good to hear they sorted most of icky side effects for the second. Must make you feel a bit more positive about the next one? I avoided the red face, and was lucky as I looked slightly like I'd caught the sun. One positive for me then!

Sorry if I'm missed anyone. Hope you all had lovely sunny weekends and good luck to everyone this week. xj

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies just thought i would join in, i am due my 3rd FEC on the 16th June, i had bad heartburn and nausea, beetroot face and neck, constipation with my first cycle, my oncology nurse sorted it all out with Lansoprazole 30mg for a week and different sickness tablets, also g.p gave me Lactulose for the constipation.
My secound cycle wasn't to bad, i have been slightly more tired(but that could be due to the fact that i look after my twin grandaughters of 20months while my daughter works.)
I hsve had a slight sore mouth and also not sure if i have vaginal thrush or not. i had a bad headache and face pain for about a week. not sure if it is a sinus problem or not, had lots of sweats and dry skin, but even though i have listed lots of niggles, that all they are, nothing to major, just a bit of a nuisance.
I think the beetroot face and neck for first 4 days of each cycle may be due to the steroids, now one of the other ladies mentioned it.

Hope all goes well for all the ladies having chemo this week.
Take care Sandraex x x x

libby_2010

Well done Sandra No.1 under your belt. Yes the E does take a while and is nasty on the veins but the hot packs help enormously, and the nurses are very chatty. Yes the cold cap was OK for me, bearable and it worked.Hope youir 1st granulocyte inj goes OK you cannot possibly lose the needle in your leg, silly, it has a hilt to it which would stop it.I think you are very clever and brave to be able to do this from watching a DVD Suze how exciting seeing you g-c bet they are really scrummy.Sounds like you are all ticking off the sessions some at No.2 and some at 3 well done.Hope the S/E are not too bad.Carol welcome to the not so exclusive club. I remember Gt Kimble well I used to drive through there when I worked in Aylesbury an the A 4010? I think. Are you being treated at HW? Hugs to all Jackiex

sandra4

Hi Ladies, and excited Suze!
Well l feel as though l belong now, having had my first peachy mother (anagram) yesterday.

All went smoothly, my hand was wrapped in a heated blanket for 10 minutes, and my veins were jumping up and down, saying "come and get me" and she did!
She kept the heated blanket on while she gave me the 'E' as she said it is the one that causes the most damage to the veins, and the heat will keep them large, thank goodness she know what she is doing.
The nurse sat and chatted most of the way through, in fact l think l know her life story from day one! so next time l will get in with my life story! She was lovely as they all are.

Came home and was feeling fine, until early evening when l felt a bit sick and had a headache, but the sickness soon went, and l took a tablet for the headache, slept like a log.

Woke this morning surprised l felt normal! waiting for things to happen, but so far so good, although very early days.
Came home with my dvd on how to inject myself with my granocyte, l looked at the dvd 3 times before l could do it. Lol! more worried l would lose the needle in my leg!

Took my mum to Marks and Spencers today, then went to buy some wool to keep me busy. Then took the dogs for a walk, thought l had better do it today, might not feel like it tomorrow.

salsal, hope you are keeping those side effects at bay xxx

Julie, hope you are feeling ok! are you happy with the coldcap? xxx

Suze Hope your visit to your grandson is taking your mind off your peachy mother! xxx

Gill, How is that heartburn? hope it is easing, and your side effect too. do you have the coldcap? xxx

Scoobs, second chemo? well done you, hope you are alright xxx

Tedoris, 3rd chemo out of the way, well done xxx

Carol Norma, hope your 2nd chemo went ok xxx

Carol, 2nd one coming up next week, that seems so fast, does it to you? hope you are fit and ready for it, do you have the injections after the chemo (the white blood count) xxx

Vickie, How you doing, still skipping it? finished all your FEC now? so onwards and upwards xxx

Nem, well we were the same day, so hope you are feeling as good as l do, do you have the white blood count injections? xxx

MrsSloth, wont be long now 6 days and counting, good luck xxx

Midge, getting there! well on the 22nd! good luck xxx

Jackie, well done on the 3 FEC how was the coldcap xxx

Sorry if l have missed anyone, tried to make a note, but you know what notes are like!!

Hugs and positive thoughts to you all
Sandra xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Gonna see my grandson later toady....so exxxxccciiittteeeeddd!!!!
:-))))))))))
Suze xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Gill,
I had really bad heartburn/indegestion on Weds night. My onc suggested that I get some lansoprazole 30mg. This seems to have helped, however I then had really bad bout of diaoherra(sp*), that has now thankfully passed and I feel better....nearly felt like me early this morning:-))

Hi everyone else...
Sarah nice to see you pop in, you seem to be managing well....good for u xx keep up the good work.

Sandra, Vickie, hope you both are doing well...thinking of you xx

Carole..hope things are going well for you.
Everyone else, hopw you're ok and have a good weekend
Hugs Suze xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Gill

Glad I could be of some help, the forum is great for this. it is only this time that they have had trouble getting a vein, hopefully when i go next time they might have an easier time.

The BC nurse came to see me yesterday to talk about my radiotheraphy, as i have an appointment with Onc in three weeks time. i can hardly bekieve we are talking about the next stage. I have to go to Glasgow to the Beatson hospital for my rads which is 45 mins away so not to bad. we also spoke about me starting Femara the hormone drug, as I am oestrogen positive. i had an early menopause when i was 38 so this is why i am going on this tab as it is for postmenopausal women.

Hope to hear from you soon, contact me if I can help.

Love Anne xx

pina_c

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi gillrh

I to had terrible indigestion and heartburn after my first chemo. I propped myself up in bed with more pillows and that helped. Also ask your GP for Omeprazole, I took one each night before going to bed and this really helped.

when I got to chemo 2 indigestion and heartburn was not as bad hope it is the same for you. I had chemo 4 today and they had trouble getting a vein but managed eventually, looks like a line will have to go in for the last 2.

Hope things get better for you soon.

Love Anne

Midge

Hi all
Was beginnng to think I was going to have to start a July chemo thread but now I have my dates. Booking all on Monday 21st and first chemo on the 22nd. Am releaved and frightened at the same time. debx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Julie, My Name is Carol, I was given the dreadful news of breast cancer on the 7th April, so a new pigeon. I have had my second chemo yesterday, it is scarey KNow doubt but it is douable and not as bad as you mind makes you think, and the girls that look after you are so kind. I live in a remote part of Great kimble, i know wheres that? outsside princes Risborugh, dont ask whers that please. Having a few side effects, but not bad ones. Only to happy to hold your hand if your willing to do the same for me. We know we have a battle and hill to climb but mustering up all my soldiers and going to beat this one. We are not alone in this.
Take care all the best to you. Carolx