cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo November 2012

Lucy_BCC

Re: Starting Chemo November 2012

Hi Nik and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the valuable support and shared experiences here please do call our helpline to talk any concerns/queries over with one of our team, they are here to offer further support, a listening ear and information. Lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

I hope you find the following link to information from BCC about treatments for breast cancer useful along with further support services including our 'one to one' support service which you can read about via the second link:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/someone-talk

Take care

Lucy

Nik1967

Hello Ladies,
This is my first post and I am also going to be a sparkler. My chemo starts 15th Nov. I've had a schedule sent but don't really understand it. I've got an appt with my onc 13th, pre assessment 14th and then treatment starts. Feels like I haven't had time to draw breath yet. Had my surgery beginning of October after an initial diagnosis 10th Sept. Been told I can not have my reconstruction until after my radiotherapy which is going to happen after 6 cycles of chemo. At the moment feels like a very long road ahead. On top of which have also been told by my employer my contract is going to be terminated. I can def understand the washing machine head at night. It's a real head spinner.
Its nice to know that I'm not alone cos this journey does feel a little lonely at times. It is very hard to explain to loved ones just how you are feeling.
I am terrified of needles so will def ask about the ports at assessment. Thanks.
Hope that I can be of support to other sparklers as we go through this journey together. Nik1967
Shazzaboro

Hi all
Just thought I would give you an update. Been for wig fitting today. Found a style I like but they didn't have it in my colour so it is being ordered in for next week. Bit of a surreal experience but its getting sorted now and will be there if I need it. Just need to practice putting it on, hope I have the strength! Afterwards I felt like I was losing a bit more of myself day by day, and don't feel like 'me' anymore. Time to reinvent myself I think. Luckily I got talking to the staff at the Holistic Centre when I was there and managed to get a cancellation for the Look Good Feel Better event tomorrow so that will help.
Wound still not fully healed but getting better slowly so still have my fingers crossed for starting chemo on 15th. Like Stellanbraska I just want to get it started now. The sooner it starts the sooner it will be over. The worst part for me is the fear of the unknown, not knowing what it will be like, how I will feel and how my body will react. Suzee64, I've been warned about the red pee. Already had blue pee after injection prior to mastectomy. Can't decide whether to pee white next time so I can say I've had a Union Jack pee or go for the full rainbow effect
Keep calm and carry on sparkling girls!
Shazza
AlixJ

Hi all
Just popping in to wish you sparkling ladies all the best. I was part of the May chemo thread, chemo isn't much fun but it's doable. I had my final chemo at the end of August, my hair is growing back and the memory of having chemo is already fading.
You sound like a supportive bunch, and it definitely helps to share experiences with other women going through it all when you do.
I was sick after my first chemo, I was then given better anti-sickness meds (called Emend), and wasn't sick again. Do ask for it if you are sick, the nurses at my chemo suite described it as a wonder drug.
Look after yourselves, and before you know it you'll be coming out the other side.
Alix xx
A1fie

Hi everyone - this is my first post. I will be a sparkler as I am starting chemo in November. Everything is happening so fast that I haven't had a chance to process things yet. Diagnosed less than a month ago. Invasive Ductal, grade 3 and spread to lymph nodes. Just waiting for CT and MRI scans but have been told that I need 4 months of chemo, I type 4 times once a fortnight and then same for the other type. Not sure of names of it. Then mastectomy, then radiotherapy.

I just wanted to join and hopefully be a support to others and receive some help and advice in return.

Good luck to us all 🙂
dealbeach

Hi,
I guess I'm a sparkler as I have my first FEC T session on 7th November. I have had a lumpectomy for my grade 3 tumour and complete axillary clearance which showed all 30+ lymph nodes had cancer. Just hoping I don't suffer too much and have the strength to cope with everything they seem to be planning. I'm having a Portacath inserted before I start, has anyone any experience of these?
suzee64

hi stellanbraska i'm just popping in from the oct pumpkins, mine is the same chemo first, already 2 down, saw oncologist on fri before i had second on mon, she had a feel on lumps and said that the 1 under arm had shunk quite a bit and the one in breast just a little bit so all being well it will work and then will only need a lumpacomyand not mx
send you big hugs xx
suzee
lizzy09

Hi A Hickman line is a tube (cather) inserted into a vein located under your collarbone. All the drugs will be given via this including blood tests. It has to be washed out by a nurse once a week. Definitely no swimming! Thanks for your good wishes.
Pascal_48

I had my mri on Friday, didn't expect it to be so uncomfortable. I went to see consultant today and he wants me to have chemo first, then surgery then radiotherapy. This made me feel much better as I was expecting surgery on the 10th. The problem now is getting an appointment with the oncologist. She is on holiday at the moment and her secretary will not let me see anyone else. The breast care nurse has just phoned me and asked what I thought about having surgery before chemo if the consultant decided to do that first rather than wait for an appointment with the oncologist. The nurse is going to try to get me an appointment at a nearby hospital to see the oncologist there then be referred back to my home town for chemo. Hope to hear tomorrow.
stellanbraska

Hi CK1
Thanks for your support. Your diagnosis sounds the same as mine (not 100% sure tho) but they want to do my surgery after the chemo because they said they want to try and save as much of the breast as they can . I told them just get rid of it ! but they were insistant that I speak to the Oncologist first . The breast nurse did advise me that I,d be starting chemo in the next two weeks which is when I see the oncologist ! I just want to get on with it to be honest (mad as that sounds !!!! ) the sooner I start the sooner Im the other side of it ! No that should be we,ll all be through it and ready to all enjoy the summer !! x
CK1

Hi Sparklers, just got back from oncologist, all go for Thursday 1/11/12 so definitely a Sparkler. Having 3 x FEC and 3 x T, not doing cold cap 'cos have raging toothache at moment and couldn't think of going through both at same time, seeing dentist tomorrow morning hopefully they can sort something out. xxx

Hi Lizzie, sorry you are here, will be on this journey with you at roughly same time so will give as much support as I can. I'll let you know how I get on Thursday. Good luck to you for Friday, CK x

Thanks for moral support Suzee it's really appreciated and needed! Good luck with everything, do tend to take a peek at how the 'Pumpkins' are doing and it does give us an idea of what to expect. CK x

Stellabraska, sorry you're here but I also know what you mean, diagnosis was a shock, couldn't stop shaking, went into total meltdown! Do you know other parts of your diagnosis. I had IDC 25mm tumour but had surgery (Mx) first. Let us know how you get on. Whatever you ask I am sure the lovely folks here will have answers and support for you. CK x

How is everyone else doing?

Big hugs to all CK x
stellanbraska

Hi Kentish girl thanks for your reply. Basically I,ve got a 25mm tumour which they want to treat with chemotharapy before surgery. Hopefully I,ll have a better idea on Monday once I,ve seen the oncologist as to what the treatment will be. The lymph nodes were clear so that was good.
Kentish_girl

Hi lizzy09, hope all goes well for you on 2nd November. What is a Hickman line?
HiStellanbraska, I know what you mean about the shock. We were reeling when I found out my tiny tumour was HER2+ andthe implications of that. Try and think of the questions you need to ask your oncologist and write them down. What is your diagnosis?
stellanbraska

Hi Guys
Can I please join ? I,m seeing the Oncologist on Monday for my treatment plan (I,m not really sure what to expect to be honest ) It was all a bit of a shock ! It didnt help when my hubby passed out during the diagnosis !!!! so to have some friends to go through this together would be a massive help.
suzee64

hi sparklers, just popping in from oct pumpkins, the next few months will be an emotional rollacoster, please read posts from prevoius months as they are help to no what may be coming your and some good advice on how to deal with side effects, some post will give you a good laugh and some might make you cry, all i can say is that it affects us all differently, so the post cover loads of problems, and forearmed is for warned. like no one said to me that the fec treatment makes your pee red for a day after can tell you it was abit of a shock lol.
good luck to you all and big hugs xx
suzee
lizzy09

Hi I am starting my first cycle of Fec on Friday 2nd November. I am having a Hickman Line inserted into my chest wall the day before. Lizzy, aged 56, Exeter
Shazzaboro

Thanks Vanns, I didn't think they could but was really shocked when it was mentioned. I've been in touch with my union rep to get some advise and am awaiting a reply from them. I know at least 2 other people from work who have had breast cancer and been off for several months and they came back to work. I'm going to check with them what there experience was too. I suspect it was just a case of manager engaging mouth before brain and me being on a bit of a downer. Just don't need the extra hassle right now.
Shazza
Vanns

Shazza,
Your work cannot terminate your contract due to illness as this is discrimination under disability employment law. Please call Macmillan or BCC as they will be able to help you.
Vanns ( April thread)

Kentish_girl

Hi all,
Would like to join the November sparklers. I had left mx with LD flap reconstruction early October as had extensive advanced DCIS.
pathology has since shown a tiny tumour 1cm grade 3 which is ER+PR+HER2+. I am node neg,lymph and vascular absent which is good, but the HER2+ really knocked me back. Met an onc this week who says I am borderline for chemo/herceptin but her hunch is that I should have it. It's so hard being borderline! My first reaction was to reject the treatment, but I am coming round to it.
We are due to go on holiday to the USA for a couple of weeks mid -November which the onc says is OK And I intend to enjoy myself! I see it as a post op- pre treatment therapy!
I will be set up to start chemo 6x FEC and 18 Herceptin end of November.
Little_Bear

Pascal: thanks for comments on the blog - made me cry (in a good way!!) (they don't tell you chemo makes you so emotional!!) as hoped it might trail blaze a little bit for somebody. You'll be trail blazing yourself soon though! Enjoy packing in the shopping this week-end and go get those sheepskin slippers!!!!
Good luck to all November Sparklers from this October Pumpkin.
Little Bear xxx
(www.littlebearowl.tumblr.com)
CK1

Hi Kerry,
Sorry things are so on top of you at the moment. I had a skin sparing Mx with an implant so was only in overnight. Recovery was not too bad at all really. Have they given you any idea time between operation and chemo? My implant can last around 10 years so can have chemo, rads etc if required then I can consider major reconstruction i.e. LD flap or DIEP or other later. Hopefully others on here can offer more detailed advice based on their experiences. Agree with you though, this is one hell of a ride we all don't want to be on!

Take care, thinking of you, CK x
Kerry1981

Hi everyone, especially those who've joined since my last post.
Im having a bit of a tough week as I go in for my mastectomy/recon on Monday and I'm so scared!! I'm having a DIEP which is a 9 hour op and will be in hospital for 7 days without my kids who are only 2 & 4.
My hospital are pestering me for a CT scan of my liver too because of an artifact on the ultrasound I had. From my understanding this is a technical issue eg blurring not a problem with my liver so there's no rush but I don't want the scan - I'm sick of being tested !! Fel like I don't ant to know the results fom my ANC either.
I'd quite like to get off this ride now!!!
xxx
Libralady

Hi Ladies,
Just popping in to say hello.
I have been right where you are now. I started chemo on 9th Nov last year, at that point, after diagnosis, I thought my life was over, went into the deepest despair I have ever ever been in, was so sure I wouldnt see another birthday.
But here I am, 12 months later, chemo done with, hair growing back with avengence, mastectomy done and dusted, and radiotherapy over. I have started to claim back my life......and this will be you in 12 months from now.
There is some great great advice on here, make sure you read through as much relevant info as possible, but also take a break now and again so the whole shituation doesnt take over your life.
In 12 months from now, you will be me, giving advice to a group of ladies who are newly diagnosed, giving them the wisdom of your eperience, and I will be me, 24 months out, life back to a new normal.
God go with all of you, its a bumpy ride, but you will ALL be OK.

WeeSharon

Hi CK1,
Yes I have had a WLE and then a further op to clear the margins. Both ops were fine and I've been left with a rather neat 4inch scar.
Still on for my oncology appointment on the 30th so I should hopefully know where I'm headed then.
Pascal_48

Hi Sue
I have just read your wonderful blog. I read parts out to my daughter (15) who says to save it to my favourites so we can see how you are getting on. She also suggested I write one myself but I don't think I can do that. I think I will keep a diary though so I can look back and see how far I have come. I go for surgery in 2 weeks and so this weekend is Christmas shopping and next weekend is our Christmas night out with family and friends. I do like the idea of packing weeks of shopping into a few hours, who is going to begrudge me those cosy sheepskin slippers that I didn't know I needed until I read your blog?
I will follow your progress, as will my Chemo Angel to be x
CK1

Hi Moonandmoon,
Sorry you're in this situation but welcome to the 'Sparklers'. Wow you are going through it, you must be beside yourself with worry, whatever we can do to lighten the dark moments will hopefully help a bit. I'm going to try the cold cap at least once to see how it goes. Will also be taking something to try to keep warm. Thinking of you and the little one. Take care CK x

Hi Pascal,
Let us know how you get on, the waiting is a terror, hopefully you'll get over any op quite smoothly. All the best for tomorrow. Take care CK x

Hi Shazza,
I totally agree with Sukiem, seek advice as soon as possible. Let us know how you get on. You've got so much to deal with plus the Crohns. Take care, CK x

Thanks Butterfly & Little Bear, the support you've all given really does help and is much appreciated. CK x
A1fie

Thanks June, I will download it as soon as I can.
Little_Bear

Hi November Sparklers, just popping in from October Pumpkins to wish you well (it really helped me when other months popped in to say hi!)!
Am on first cycle of TAC, and now on day 9 and starting to feel much better - take heart!
Catzooo, I had an MRI scan for a 4.3cm tumour in my right breast. I can identify with the headache AND I get claustrophobic! It is a scary time, and am thinking about you. Part of you stays strong and keeps going, but the good thing about this forum is you can share your fears and bad days too.
Good luck to all Sparklers, I can tell you're going to be a good group too!
Little Bear (Sue) xxx
Ps I started a wee blog at www.littlebearowl.tumblr.com if there are any tips you can glean. Not everyone has the nausea thing i had though! Pics of hair loss & wig to follow on there in due course I'm sure! Xx
June_BCC

Hello A1fie

Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis, the first few weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with your diagnosis and treatment.
As well as the support you will receive on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early...

You may also like to talk things through with one of the helpline staff, they are there to offer emotional support as well as provide information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes

June, moderator

sukiem

Hi Shazza, it might be worth getting some employment advice. Breast cancer is regarded as a disability and as such you have legal protection against any discrimination by your employer. I know Macmillan can offer good advise about work related problems. Good luck
Butterfly_61

Hi All,
I started chemo on 3rd November last year. I was on a trial so had 3 Taxotere ( Docetaxol) with Herceptin, then 3 FEC and re-started Herceptin in March and also started Letrozole ( post-menopausal equivalent of Tamoxifen ) then too. 3 more Herceptins to go, next one on Monday. I am doing okay, don't have many bad days now and I am still building up my stamina/energy levels.

I also read the 'What you need for chemo thread' and found that the NHS provided almost all of it (I'm in Glasgow). The only thing I bought was a thermometer, which is essential, even though I only used it occasionally. Although I shaved my head I didn't actually lose much hair - still miffed that I did not lose my leg hair, although it is is much thinner now and doesn't need shaved as often.

Hope you girls have as much support as I did from last year's November thread - we are now on FB and still supporting each other.

Take care all, love Liz.

Shazzaboro

Hi, sorry I haven't posted recently, I'm having a bit of a tough time at moment with work. Last week they asked me if I was going to get another sick note after my current one runs out on 20th November. Told them I have no idea as chemo starts on 15th and I don't know how it will effect me or my ongoing Crohns! Today I was told that when I get to 3 months absence [22 Nov] my manager can decide whether or not employer will support absence or whether they will go for termination of contract. Like I don't have enough to worry about! Certainly knocked me back onto the downward slope on this BC rollercoaster I'm on. I guess 30 years of employment doesn't count for as much as I thought. Rant over.
On a more positive note I went to the dentist today and was given a prescription for flouride toothpaste that may help during chemo and if I need it they can give me a prescription for Corsodyl mouthwash too. With medical exemption card, which we are entitled to, no charge. Nice to know we can get some help and support.
Shazza x
Pascal_48

Hi everyone
I am having an mri on Friday to see if I need an mx like I was told when I was diagnosed on the 9th. I am booked in for surgery on 10th November and have been told I will be having chemo after that. Not sure when that will start but I will probably be joining the Sparklers! Just want to get it started so that I can get on with it and stop this waiting. It's just awful not knowing what to expect
Good luck to everyone x
Moonandmoon

Hi everyone,
Loving the team sparkler. I've actually got a box on my cupboard ready for this years fireworks.
I start my FEC-T chemo next Thursday. 6 courses every 3 weeks. Then a 3 week wait and will be having my little one induced. After that it's further surgery for removal of remaining lymph nodes, radiotherapy and a year of herceptin. I'm just thinking about the chemo and baby at this point for obvious reasons.
Met the chemo nurse team today at the Royal Gwent and they're all lovely. Have been introduced to the cool cap. Will be taking my scarf for the wearing of that. Going for my wig fitting on Friday.
Wishing you all good luck. We can do this!
Maria xx
jellymould

hi all im a sparkler, start chemo on 7th nov. FEC-T every 3 weeks for the next 4 months. we are gonna have a family get rid of mums hair day after my 1st session, gonna take it down to a grade 1, got my bandanas on order not sure whether i want a wig. i'll see how good the nhs ones actually are.
CK1

Hi all, Pre-assessment today, start date 1st November so definitely a 'Sparkler'. Advised to get flu jab (apparently we should all get one done 'cos of immune system) so have just had that done at doctors. Lot to take in; small steps. Gonna give the cold cap a go at least once.

Any updates anyone else?

CK x
CK1

Thanks Super Trouper & Vanns for your advice and support. We need it! Glad to see you are so positive after the events of the past year. x

Hi Catzoo, really sorry to see your Dx and that you are having such a rough time. I cannot answer specific questions about what you are going through but I am sure your BCN should. I think we'd all have a headache with what you've got going on not just the MRI and in such a short time. My thoughts are with you, let us know how you get on. Big hugs CK xxx

Wee Sharon, The waiting is the worst. Have you had any surgery yet? We all feel out of control until we know exactly what is going on. I'm in for oncology pre-assessment today, seeing oncologist again next week and will be starting shortly after that. Hopefully by my replying today you might get other support. Take care, big hugs CK xxx
WeeSharon

Hi all.
I have my oncology appointment on 30th and have been told I will probably start chemo early November. Hairs already been cut to above my shoulders and reckon I'm going to give the cold cap a go. Don't know what treatments etc yet.
Dreading it to be honest, this all feels a bit out of my control at the minute and I'm lost.
catzooo

Hi jelly mould. Hope they don't make you wait too long for results.
Had my MRI today. Found a lump in other breast so sent me straight off for biopsy on that.
i am still reeling from the cancer diagnosis 12 days ago. Now I got 4.5 cm cancer in left, and 1.6 mm lump in the right.
Looks like my chemo will not now start on Thursday as need to check out the other lump and see what drugs it may respond to if it is cancer.
Shocked and scared. I know my lymph nodes are affected. Can it spread to the other breast? i have not heard of that before.
And got a pounding headache from the MRI
jellymould

hi catzoo, i too feel strange as dont feel ill, im still waiting for my onc appointment to find out when i will start chemo and what kind. glad you were able to get away for a few days. good luck with your treatment. x
catzooo

Hi November ppl.
I am having my 1st chemo on Thursday. So not sure whether to join the end of October thread, or to be in Novembers.
Having FEC x 3 then T with herceptin x 3. Then surgery. Then radiotherapy. Then herceptin for 1 year.
All in a daze, was only diagnosed 12 days ago. All moving way too fast.. Got MRI scan this afternoon. Then wig choosing tomorrow.
4.5 cm tumour at the back of breast along chest wall. Grade 3. Will know more after the MRI I guess. Then CT scan and heart scans next week.
Just back from a lovely weekend away in the LAke DIstrict where I did manage to forget for a couple of days. 5 star luxury. Cost a mint I can't really afford but was worth it just to be pampered and forget.
Scared and confused. I am not ill. I feel fine - apart from worrying.
supertrouper

Hi - I am popping in from the Birds Without Feathers (August 2011) thread. Most monthy threads found a name for their groups and ours has transformed from without feathers, to with feathers, to with fat, to without fat!!
We are survivors - and we helped each other out through the good times and the bad times. Throughout all of this that is to follow you must remember this.
THIS TOO WILL PASS.
Good luck girls and on behalf of the BWF group we hope all your SEs are little ones.

Vanns

Hi sparklers,
Im also an April bunny. The time during chemo flies. Listen to your bodies, stick together and try to laugh which might sound strange but it helps. Shout us if you need any help as we have been there and got the t shirts !
Vannsx

jellymould

thanks CK, i hate all the waiting, will let you know what oncologist says and what chemo i will be on. xx
CK1

Hi fellow Sparklers!

Wow Shazza, we should all take a leaf out of your book. I can't seem to think beyond tomorrow let alone get anything done. Need to write a list and stick to it. Am going to do what Patchit says and see if I can book a place on the http://www.lookgoodfeelbetter.co.uk course. Will put that on my list to do tomorrow. I don't wear makeup as a rule but it might help a bit. Good luck at the hospital tomorrow. I still have inflammation in mine so will have to call doctors in morning. May need another week on antibiotics. It's nice the ladies from other months are encouraging us and will definitely be doing the list on 'undergoing treat - chemotherapy' page. Take care CK xxx

Hi Patchit,
Thank you so much for the encouragement, as you already know, we need it. Top tips offered and will be following up asap. Hadn't heard of the 'Look Good Feel Better' workshops so appreciate that, will call them tomorrow. Have been reading other threads over past weeks and they do help a lot. Take care, hugs back at ya! xxx

Hi there Jellymould,
Sorry to see your diagnosis. Come here and vent whenever and I am sure we will support you when we can. Let us know how you get on with the oncologist. Thinking of you, sending big hugs, take care CK xxx
Patchit

Hello November Sparklers

I am just popping in from the March thread (Marvellos Marchies / Musketeers) to wish you all well. I wanted to reassure you that you will get through this. It is hard but do-able and I am sure you will all support each other along the way. I remamber that feeling so well, on the one hand dread but on the other, just wanting to get started. After all, sooner you start, sooner you finish! I am sure you will have picked up lots of hints and tips from the other threads, but there is also a list of tips on the front page of the 'undergoing treatment - chemotherapy' page which is very useful. The most important things are to look after yourselves and ask for what you need. One of our Marchies said that when we started and it was invaluable, never be scared to ask for help / drugs / whatever you need.

I wonder whether you have heard about the 'Look Good Feel Better' workshops? They are fantastic and I would strongly recommend booking your selves on to one if you can. You get a huge goodie bag of make up and skin care products and attend a workshop where you also meet other ladies going through the same thing. Type www.lookgoodfeelbetter.co.uk into your browser and get booked on soon as I know they get booked up very quickly so you may have a wait to get a place.

Wishing you good health and sending hugs and good wishes

Patchit xxx

jellymould

hi CK yes had my WLE and SLNB clear margin and no nodes involved, and as im triple neg will only have chemo and radiotherapy as none of the other treatment will work. good luck to everyone.
Shazzaboro

Hi CK, Kerry & Jellymould
Happy birthday for Tuesday CK! I've been reading through lots of postings, including those from the October ladies, as recommended by pesteringpixie. Lots of helpful tips regarding how we can prepare for after effects. I'm building myself a nice little bag of tricks. Been for my flu jab this morning and got appointments at the dentist, for a filling, and the chiropodist on Wednesday. Back to the hospital on Monday to see BCN about wound and how it is healing. Lingerie evening this week which I am looking forward to, been wearing crop tops since mx and my softie has a mind of its own. I'll be nothing if not prepared for the 15th [at least physically]. Mentally I have no idea, most of the time I think I'm coping as well as I can then I will have a good old weep for no apparent reason - better out than in I suppose. Spent this afternoon making cakes and sausage rolls with my nephew so today is a good day so far. Onwards and upwards!
Shazza x
CK1

Thanks so much Pixie,

That's really helpful. Great tips (we need 'em). We can probably learn loads from your threads. Enjoy your Bunnyfeste in Birmingham.
Love right back at you.
CK xxx
pesteringpixie

Well Hello you sparkly ladies 🙂

I am Pixie from the April thread - the easter Chemo bunnies and the person responsible for getting all the subsequent threads to choose an endearing name for themselves - bit of bonding is good. Now off you all go and find an appropriate picture to upload. if you look at our thread you will see we are all rabbits!

Sorry you find yourselves here but if you have a breast cancer diagnosis, there is no better on-line forum than this site. So welcome.

You know, just 7 months ago, we were a bunch of scared rabbits, all worried about hair loss and obsessing about wigs. We have supported each other the whole way through and this coming weeknd, 14 of us are meeting up at the Hilton Hotel in Birmingham for Bunnyfeste - a celebration that we got through it. It will be very emotional as this is the first time we have met face to face.

In 7 months time, that will be you.

Stick to each other like glue. A few golden rules that must be obeyed!!

1) DO NOT Google.
2) When people offer help, take it. Makes them feel they are doing something positive and gives you a breather.
3) Only listen to medical professionals, the major sites such as this one, cancer research, macmillan, or women who have been through this.
4) DO NOT rush out and buy wigs.... hair falls around 15 days after first chemo. Whatever you buy now won't suit once your hair falls.
5) Listen to your body, rest when you need to and never suffer unduly. Chemo is rough but it's not hell.

I found the best way of knowing what to expect was to read the march thread - the ladies a month ahead of me. You may find it helpful to follow the October thread.

So, on your starting blocks, get ready for an interesting and challenging few months and know you will all get through it together.

Much love

Pixie xx