Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo November 2012

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Starting Chemo November 2012

Hi all
Just checking in to see how your all doing, before going to see the ongologist this afternoon. Hopefully I,ll know when they are going to start my chemo and what the treatment will be . Keep strong and sparkling xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lucypenny,
Hope you are OK today, I agree with you about your earlier comments on food, bless our Mums and their carbs eh? It is easier doing it yourself I know. I try to maintain a healthy diet but not as thorough as you. x
As for smear I'm sure that is coincidence! As for dentists, absolutely, as I said before I had to go day before 1st chemo and ended and ended up with back molar being removed (ouch again at thought!) That made me not bother with cold cap next day.
Anyway, take care have a good day, enjoy sparklers tonight, I will, thinking of you all. Sparkle on xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Kentish Girl, hope you're coping OK. I was given a bag of drugs (anti-sickness etc on leaving hospital and there is a 7 day course of anit-biotics to start taking day 5 (for me today) after chemo) Your immune drops really low on FEC 10-14 days (hope I read that right) after chemo so it is a precaution, that's when to avoid where possible closed spaces, public transport etc. If on T (known as Docetoxel) of FEC-T your immune system drops earlier after treatment. Don't know what you are having but this link to MacMillan shows you FEC-T and all about it.

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertreatment/Treatmenttypes/Chemotherapy/Combinatio...
Take care, keep sparkling xxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi again! Just thought I would also share that dentist check up is also worth while, I am not sure if it is sheer co-incidence or not but I also got a letter for my smear test this morning, have managed to get an appointment for this afternoon. It's all systems go!

I hope everyone has day positive day- I am excited to use my sparklers tonight!
xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi CK1 and everyone,
Thanks for sharing all your experiences and useful info.
I am not due to start until end of November-haven't got a date yet. Nobody has mentioned to me about having a flu' jab, so I'll check that out. Thanks for that tip CK1. Also what are the antibiotics for-just precaution?
Good luck to everybody this week xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

well been out and bought a thermometer today, got dr's in the morning for bloods, it really is getting real now. gonna make shepherds pie wed morning so at least i know the family will have a good meal even if im not up to it. happy sparkler day for tomorrow all. hugsxxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck to everybody for next week and good to hear from those who have already started with top tips and funny dream stories!! Lucy - thanks for the diet advice. I'm afraid my diet's more akin to your mums but will try and be a bit healthier as I go along.

We've got our sparklers in for tomorrow. Will think of you all as I wave them around with my little lad.

Sleep well.

Col xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi lovely people,
Sunday evening, nearing end of day 4 after 1st FEC. SEs, taste, changes all around. Want alcohol but it doesn't want me. Had a small (very small) glass of red and didn't like it a bit! Queasy all the time really, so as Lizzy09 states small and often on the food is best. Mmmm ginger biscuits.... Feeling fuzzy headed, managed over 9 hours sleep last night, was so tired was asleep in my dreams, people were trying to wake me all the time (in my dreams) and couldn't bring me round. Also in my dream at some time my nose hair crumbled away like dust...weird! Have booked wig fitting for Friday.....Look Good Feel Great for following week. Will let you know how I get on. Me dear old Mum is being dragged along on those two, bless you Mum, love you (just in case she's peeking at my post, ha! ha!) xxx

To all New Joiners,
Welcome, will catch up with you all later, hang in there my darlings!!!
Col123, (I'm a Col but use my initials), Cam21, Susann & Saz2012 xxx

Thanks for great advice Sara12, all top tips gladly received!

Good luck to all those starting this week. Don't forget to eat light in morning I'm going to try a banana next time, some advice from another member. And take medicines as prescribed. I start the week of anti-biotics they give you tomorrow.

Don't forget as well if you haven't done so we should be having a Flu Jab. Had mine already, if unsure ask doctors asap!

Tried doing a Sparkler pic earlier, got a bit dizzy so will try again tomorrow evening.

Big hugs to all, Keep Calm & Sparkle On (I'm going to get that on a mug me thinks) xxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jenny12m,
Sorry you are here but welcome anyways, you sound like you have been through the mill, let us know how you get on at oncologists tomorrow. Big hugs CK xxx
jenny12m

Hello all, please may I join the Sparklers? I am seeing the Oncologist tomorrow. Not sure how long the wait will be for the first treatment though. I had my flu, HiB and MenC vaccinations about 2 weeks ago so I hope that does not delay the start. My arm was so sore and I was poorly for 3 days, I also hope this does not affect me having a PICC put in. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan tomorrow.
Jayne_m

Hi Dealbeach - just popping in from the Pumpkins. I planned to go to work day after portacath fitted but my arm was very sore and bruised and I wasnt confident driving so worked from home instead. I also read somewhere that they advise you not to drive for 24 hours. My was fitted into my arm by the way. Hope it goes well, mine was tender for a week or so but its fine now and it does make the chemo sessions so much easier (I had my first via canula and my hand is still very sore).
dealbeach

Hi,had a echograph, CT scan and blood test last week then met with cancer nurse, she said the nurses will be with me throughout the first 3 sessions, so no need to take anything with me. Hair usually falls out 3 - 4 weeks after first session,so if it starts growing back before we finish, it's not long really and I usually wear woolly hats in winter anyway. Portacath being fitted tomorrow, will I be fit for work on Tuesday? Chemo starts Wednesday. Just not looking forward to next week, I seem to be in denial, haven't bought anything special, I'm just hoping I'll be one of many who, "sail through it". Staying positive must help surely, and trying to relax.
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jellymould I had my first dose on Friday afternoon; I read earlier that you are having 6xFEC like me. I was sick in the evening and again in the night; have been feeling a bit queasy ever since so taking it easy. Eat small. light meals and drink water & ginger ale. No desire for alcohol and my taste for sweet things has gone so who knows I may even shift a pund or two!
Guest user
Not applicable

hi lucypenny i too im having my 1st chemo on wed. will keep you posted on any side effects, eating habits and emotions. there are quite a few of us starting this on wed will be interesting to compare notes. xx all the best for wwed sparklers xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi- susann we are going starting on the same day- keep us posted if your experience and I will too, the more detail of what happens the better for me, so I plan to document everything and share this with you all incase there are others like me out there who are comforted by knowing the detail in life!
my mum is coming to look after me and whilst I love her roast dinners the rest of her cooking can be very reliant on 'jars' and 'packets'. I have been into health and fitness all my life and do not touch processed foods, and generally eat a very 'clean diet' high in protien, no added sugar, organic where possible. I have found that this way of eating helped with my energy levels and general health- until now. This is not an extreme diet it's just healthy and nutritiouS, when I say high in protein it's not really it's just that before I never thought of the benefits of having a hard boiled egg for breakfast over a slice of bread.
i don't know how I am going to feel on the treatment but I do know that I want to try and eat good foods with lots of nutrition. I know that if I am off my food my mum with give me a piece of toast, a cheese sandwich, jacket potatoe As my three meals in one day. I see very little nutritional value in these foods and have provided my mum with a list of foods I would prefer to eat... to some of you this may sound so controlling but its what I believe is right... It will be interesting to see if I manage to stomach any of what I want to eat - who knows toast may become my best friend!

i have frozen fruits and vegetables for smoothies. I have made and frozen soups. I am stocking my fridge with organic natural yogurt, heaps of fresh veg and fruits- avocado is great! fresh juices, ginger and lemon for tea.
My view is instead of a jacket potatoe perhaps I can stomach steamed or even mashed vegatables to get the vitamins. Instead of cheese on toast (one of my mums specials!) rye bread with avocado and tomoatoes is really good. Omelette packed with veg, Natural yogurt with nuts and honey... This is how I eat now and I just don't want to completely divert... I will keep you posted on what I can stomach and can't and any recipe ideas of the way!
yesterday I finished arranging my 'room'- I have a spare room which i plan to relax in or if I am unwell which has a tv/DVD player, magazines books etc and all my little necessities but will go into my bedroom at night an sleep with my husband.. Not sure if it will work but thought I can limit my mess to the spare room! It also has a view of the river.
my treatment plan is 6 fec chemp, heceptin for one year starting on 4th chemo, another operation to remove more cancer (had first op 4 weeks ago) followed by radio therapy and then the 5 year tablet.. As I am only 30 and do not have children they offered a ivf but we didn't take this up. They have offered another hormone drug that can inject every month to try and protect my eggs but I am not sure if I should take this up. It shuts your system down and you have menopausal symtems.. I just feel that I have enough to go through without that. Is anyone else doing this??
i am off to the gym and cooking a Moroccan tagine for lunch on this rainy day- I hope you all have a relaxing sunday. Oh and I will get my sparklers for a photo!

xxxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all
Please can I join you? I'm starting chemo on 21.11.12 3 X FEC then 3 X T.
I am going through all the Chemo tips thread to see if I need to see the GP before starting. My onc also said I had to have my mirena removed.
Good luck to all.
Sx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi November ladies and gentlemen, my first cycle of FEC is on Wednesday 7th Nov following an information session on Friday. I found out that after Wednesday, the routine will be to see the onc 1/2 days before each session to follow including blood test, making it two visits to the hospital. But if things go to plan I will have another cycle at the end of the month too, then the next on December 20th - Christmas and New Year may be different this year.
Whilst this whole thing is a nightmare, from getting the diagnosis, to trying to understand what the 'results' really mean after surgery, facing up to the treatment package, I have found the fear of recurrence to be the hardest to deal with, it has been overwhelming sometimes. I met with the onc a second time to discuss this in particular, she showed me the computer programmes used to calculate risks based on an individual's medical status,and concluded by telling me my risk of recurrence is almost zero. Yet I cannot help but think of the women who have been through the same treatments for that not to be the case - is it just the luck of the draw, or very bad luck for some? I keep reminding myself about Olivia Newton-John who is 20 years on from bc.
I am also going in for the cold cap, had my hair done on Wednesday and will not have it chopped as I feel this would be giving in, if it looks too bad I will stuff it under the one wig I will have on standby. Going to see the wig man on Tuesday. Got books, magazines ready, going to pack a bag tomorrow as recommended in case of sudden hospital admission due to high temperature, although I hope I never need to use it.
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone
I've just been diagnosed (29th Oct) and start chemo next Friday (9th November) - taxotere x3 and then FEC x3 as far as I remember! I've hardly had time to take in the diagnosis, let alone the likely implications of the chemo and its been really helpful just to read your posts. It sounds like lots of you had surgery first, and maybe have had a little more time to get to grips with the terminology. I'm still not even 100% sure of my diagnosis - I know its an invasive carcinoma, grade 2 and that there is a lump of around 3cm (which didn't show up on a mammogram at all - just ultrasound), but I"m not really sure what that means and haven't got the courage up to ask yet!
Guest user
Not applicable

lol phil nice to see you got a sense of humour back, as for pineapple chunks either, will do, fresh is good for sore mouths. not sure what the chocolate fudge will do though. lol defo go for the pirate hat, kids love things like that. xx
PhilBM

Hi Jellymould - when you say pineapple chunks do you mean the real fruit ones or the super-yummy sweety ones - wow I hope it's the latter? imagine if chocolate and sweets were the perfect remedies for chemo side effects...foam bananas for sore joints, chocolate fudge for hair loss - they've got to be worth a try right
As for hats I've decided on a pirate hat as I intend to tell any small children that my mx scar was from a cutlass slash from blackbeard!
Guest user
Not applicable

thankyou sara. xx
sara12

Hi Sparklers

Just popping in from the April (Easter Bunnies) thread to say good luck to those of you who are starting chemo next week (and CK1 who's already started). I know some of you are worried about potential side-effects. It does affect people differently, so some of you may sail through with hardly any and others may get a lot of them - life just isn't fair! The thing is to let your onc dept know as soon as you get any SEs. Policy seems to vary depending on which part of the country you are in. Some onc departments (like mine) prescribe everything you need to combat the SEs, others recommend you go to your GP for a prescription and yet others just tell people to go to a chemist for over-the-counter remedies.

For a sore mouth, they should be able to give you Difflam mouthwash, and if that doesn't work, then medication for oral thrush (you can sometimes get the other kind too - Phil excepted!). If you get heartburn, then you should get Omeprazole or something similar from onc/GP. With FEC a lot of people get constipation - the steroids they give you cause that too - best advice is not to let that 'take hold' as it gets very uncomfortable and some people end up with piles for the first time in their lives! You can buy Dulcolax etc but you should be able to get a prescription for it and also for Movicol which is a great help when taken regularly. Diarrhoea is more common with TAX, and yes, Immodium is fine for that. If the anti-sickness drugs they give you don't work very well, then speak up, as there are stronger drugs they can try.

I suppose the message I am trying to give is that if you do get SEs, don't suffer in silence, or think it's too trivial to bother the onc/GP with - as sometimes the SEs can get you down more than the chemo itself. And the other thing is - be kind to yourselves - if you get tired, give in and rest if you can. I had horrendous SEs with FEC-T whereas some others didn't... but 4 months on from finishing chemo the memories are fading, and you do just get through it - a large dose of humour helps as well! We just have to remember that we are all going through this for a reason. My chemo shrank my 5cm tumour down to nothing, so only needed a WLE - I have my last rads session on Monday and I'm in the NED (no evidence of disease) camp now, so it was all worth it.

Best of luck

Sara x

Guest user
Not applicable

thanks for yor thread col, and hi weesharon we will be having our chemo at around the same time im wed having fec-t so will be able to compare notes, im starting to stock up on a few little things ive read on other feeds, kiddies toothpaste, and toothbrush, lip balm, sherbet lemons, lucozade. pineapple chunks. not sure if hospital supplies thermometer so might go but one on monday. already prepared for the hair loss, i have really short hair anyway so after having my 1st chemo will be going to a grade one, got a couple of bandanas a beanie hat and a red wig to wear at my nephews wedding as his colour theme is red, so will match quite nicely. good luck to all of you having chemo with me next week, look forward to hearing your news. xx hugs
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all. Its been a few days since I checked in. I went yesterday and had the PICC line put in and start on the 6th. I'm going to give the cold cap at least one go but have a hat on order as my back up plan - my Onc told me that the cold cap is normally less than 50% effective! I've 6 lots of FEC to get through, I know I have to do it so just want to get cracked on and and hammer through it.
Good luck all x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Col123, just hopping over from the October Pumpkins (this time I meant to click on 'October' stream and clicked on 'November' by mistake, though I do hop over from time to time!!). Just to say I have lobular cancer (there aren't so many of us about!), diagnosed in August. Had MRI to see if in both breasts (as you say, it can be in both breasts) but was just in the one. Had mastectomy in September and having 2nd cycle of TAC next week. Am also ER+ 7/8.
Am writing a blog, and it has a bit about the lobular cancer journey on the 'about me' bit. I couldn't find much on it when I was diagnosed and going into chemo, but read a similar blog from the States which helped me, so thought I'd do something similar! It's at www.littlebearowl.tumblr.com if you want to take a peak. DM me if I can help at all.
Good luck!
Little Bear (Sue) xx
Guest user
Not applicable

p.s. Happy early Xmas Pascal 48! Great idea - I might get one of those in next week!! Have a great night out! x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all

I'm going to be a fellow sparkler. Like everyone on here, I'd rather not be joining this thread but you all seem like such a warm and supportive bunch, I'm sure we'll all help each other through this difficult time. Like many, my head's in a spin and everything just seems turned upside down. I've been catapulted into this whole new world of hospital appointments, learning new terminology and dealing with dark emotions that I've never had before. I'm also very determined and positive and will deal with this. It helps to know there are people out there like you lovely bunch to share the experience of it all with, good and bad times, and get out the other end and back to my life as I knew it a couple of weeks ago.
I'm starting chemo the week after next - not sure of exact date as yet - so looks like I'll be at a similar time to Shazza and Nik1967 from what I can see from the posts. Anybody else starting that week? Like Nik1967, I feel completely underprepared. I havent looked at any wigs yet, am just not sure what to do about getting my hair cropped as I want to go for a wig similar to my own shoulder-length hair and it might feel a bit odd to be longish then short then longish again. I can see why people get it cropped but am just not sure what to do. I havent done a diet (Lucy - would you mind sharing some of your ideas please? are there certain foods that are recommended over others or is it just a general healthy diet you've planned?) and just not sure what products to buy for possible side effects, etc. I know I need a thermometer but thats about it! Everybody seems to have a different experience and good to see CK1 you're feeling bit better after the initial sickness. I've just had a back tooth out so I feel for you on that front too. I met a lady last week when i was waiting for my first oncoclogy appointment and she had had FEC-T (which is mine and I see quite a lot of others on here) with 'only' hair loss and some foods tasting different. She did say that she took all the anti-sickness pills whatever she felt like and I think you advised that too CK1. I hope Lizzy and Moonandmoon got on ok and Kerry's op went well. Have been reading this thread and thinking about you all.

I havent had much time to check out the advice on this site as yet but will do over the next week as I'm sure there's loads of stuff on here to help. I'll read the Pumpkins thread too as somebody said that was a really helpful thing to do. Will also enjoy the week, like you Nik1967, with my lovely bloke and little boy (he's 5) before it all starts. Kerry - I saw your comments on worrying about the kids. I completely understand that as it's been my biggest worry. I just dont want him to be worried or upset so I've kept it all quite low-key and positive. I worry somebody else might say something to him or be all sympathetic with me when they see me and he's with me. He's only 5 but he's pretty sharp and picks up on such things. I've just said mummy's got a sore boobie and the doctors are going to make it better with strong medicine. Apparently, there's some books but I havent had time to check them out as yet. Kids are amazing really and if you pitch it right, they take it in their stride. I mentioned the idea of a wig last night to him, which he thought was quite funny and just asked if he'd be able to try it on!

In terms of my diagnosis, I've got lobular breast cancer, two lumps and lymph node involvement. It's taken several weeks and a number of biopsies for them to actually identify the bad lumps (they knew there was a problem from cancer cells in a swollen lymph node). I had to go to London for an MRI-guided biopsy and from that they now know what's what. It's 6/8 for ER/PR so I'll be on Tamoxifen going forward (I'm 43). Here's to hot flushes! Still waiting for HER2 results so not sure about Herceptin as yet. I'm also being referred for BRAC gene check. They also said lobular cancer can often be found in both breasts so I've got some decisions to make about how far we go with surgery but I'm not thinking about that for now - chemo is my first battle!!

Anyway, I'm waffling on so I'll shut up now.

Good luck to everybody starting chemo next week (I think it's Lucy, Jellymould, Pauline, Weesharon?, dealbeach, mummybear and Phil (good to see a bit of a gender balance on our thread!) but if there's anyone else GOOD LUCK too - I look forward to hearing how you all get on. I hope it goes well for you all.

I like the idea of a sparkly picture - will have a look for one and me and my little one are going shopping in a minute for lots of sparklers!!!

Take care everybody and have as good a weekend as you all can in the circumstances.

Much love, Col x
Guest user
Not applicable

im now a sparkler.
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi sparklers, home after having my portacath fitted, very sore, cup of tea and bed for me. best wishes to you all, nite nite x
Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Jellymould night, again... xx

Hiya Pauline, no one needs to ask just hop on and join in hopefully anxieties and questions can be sorted for you. Sorry you find yourself here. Will be getting a wig as well asap, same as yourself hate that cold feeling and I'd had a back large molar removed day before treatment so was still reeling from that! Will probably be happier in other headgear which I also have to order asap as it will not get to hot. Take care CK xx

(Don't forget sparklers for the 5th or this weekend even, as someone suggested here I think we should make our avatar / pics with some kind of sparkler reference to represent the Sparklers even temporarily as a show of solidarity, Shazza has already, You Go Girl, well done!) xx
Guest user
Not applicable

night CK we will all sparkle as bright no matter what. xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi there, for those who are nervous and anxious about starting treatment this week I'm on the evening of day 2 and feeling really fine, slight feeling of nausea on and off earlier but tablets working. Take heed and try to take ach day as it comes and weep here if needed. Don't keep the fears to yourself, that's why we are all here.
In the words of Shazza earlier (well sort of) 'Keep Calm and Sparkle on!'

Night night to all CK xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

hi everyone,would love to join this group,I have my first chemo on 6th nov,6 sessions of fec-t,not looking forward to it but has to be done,fear of the unknown is awful,hopefully this time next month I will feel a lot better about it.I will be making my appointment for a wig next week,ar well something to look forward to I suppose,I decided against the cold cap,I cant even eat an ice lolly without getting a headache,wellI have just got to get on with it and keep smiling,..good luck to you all
Pascal_48

Thinking of you Mummybear45
Seeing oncologist on Tuesday so may have had first chemo by this time next week. Going to try cold cap so will make sure I have a warm blanket, a drink and ginger biscuits sound good CK1. I am really nervous and scared too Jellymould but the sooner we get started the sooner it will be over.
Christmas night out tomorrow just in case I don't feel like it later x
Guest user
Not applicable

I am having a portacath fitted today, my chemotherapy it starts on Thursday. I am waiting for the anaesthetist now, surgery scheduled between 2 - 2.30. booked a jacket potato I go home home hopefully at 9pm.
Ck1 keep strong girl x
I haven't discussed wigs either, I will buy a couple of hats 2moro thanx 4 the tips x
Tara fab idea I will get my girls to join in too x
Phil I am having chemo at home too I will keep u posted!
Shah za thanx for your tips very helpful x
I am going to surgery now good luck everyone today my fingers are crossed for you all x
Guest user
Not applicable

well getting really nervious now, start chemo on wed. scared if all the side effects, i dont know whether to just go with it and see how i get on or get add the things off the help with chemo list, there seems an awful lot of things needed. hope everyone is doing ok.
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all 'Not So Sparkly' today had first round of chemo yesterday morning, took about 1.5 hours (no cold cap). Was quite poorly after but that was because I didn't eat I think. Managed to get a ginger biscuit down and lemonade around 2am (had only had water before that so not enough sugar in system) followed by 5 hours sleep. Would advise taking all meds as prescribed and snack, drink plenty of water as advised as well. Feeling not too bad today, fuzzy headed and tired, took everthing as prescibed as didn't want yesterday to happen again. xxx

Good luck Lizzy, think of you CK xx

Hi Nik, I haven't got wig yet or scarves and started chemo yesterday so must get useless bum into gear. Was going to have cold cap but having a tooth removed yesterday put me off idea. Did you get a certificate off the nurse at hospital for wig yet? Have you seen doctor about anxiety? They gave me tablets as was at a point of hardly sleeping and hardly breathing! Not too bad now. Thinking of you. Take care CK xx

Hi Mummybear45, sorry you find yourself here but you need not ask just joing in. Laugh or moan it doesn't matter and I'm sure we all feel the same on the inside, speak soon CK xx

Hi Phil, had wondered how you were getting on, had seen some earlier posts around the same time as my surgery. Hope you are recovering OK, good luck with chemo next week. CK xx

Hiya Lucypenny, Shazza advice is spot on, if you are having a cold cap take warm scarf or blanket. Good to see you are so organised. I'm worried about weight gain as well, but I think we all need to take care of ourselves and the gym is somewhere you can go after this is all over. No harm in doing bits whilst you are having chemo as long as you listen to your body and rest when needed. Take care for now CK xx

Tarra for now fellow Sparklers !!! (don't forget to buy some in for the 5th) xxx
Shazzaboro

Hi
Nik1967 - have a word with your oncologist about the wig fitting. She gave me the prescription and the contact details for me to make my own appointment about the wig. The headwear advice was provided by volunteers linked to this site. They come into our hospital regularly and are based at the Holistic centre there. Your BCN may know how to arrange an appointment.
PhilBM - I'm worried about the sickness and diaorhea too, as I suffer from Crohns disease. I've spoken to my specialist and she has told me its fine to take Immodium. For the sickness I understand we get anti-sickness tablets following the chemo and the advice is to take them to prevent the feeling rasther than wait till we feel sick.
Lucypenney30 - I've got first treatment on 15th and am planning on taking something to read, a bottle of water and maybe a small snack as I don't know how long I will be there [got this advice from reading other posts on here]. I may be a bit optimistic about the reading bit but I'll soon find out
Good luck to you all and hope the side effects are minimal for all of you.
Keep calm and carry on sparkling
Shazza
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi- I start chemo on 6 nov. any suggestions on what to wear And take? i am feeling strong, is it unrealistic to think that I won't feel isn't side effects from the first treatment? Paranoid about weight gain- spent my life in the gym and 'being good' have always maintained a slim figure. In the last month I have gained weight already from comfort eating post op so really worried how I will end up physically at the end of the journey! My house and care arrangements are organised, I have purchased new comfortable but stylish outfits, one wig and some hats, I have planned a diet and all that's left to do is my big supermarket shop. Anyone else having treatment in Kingston? xxx
PhilBM

Towards the back-end of all the MX/Node-removal surgery (ouch) so just found out I've got 6x3 sessions of DCH starting next Wednesday 😞 at least most of it will be at home which is nice. Then I've got 3-to-5 weeks of radiation at the end, hopefully followed by a little holiday, really looking forward to getting about a bit more than I have been - normally do a decent amount of travelling so miss that. Bit scared of the chemo really, not the hair-loss, I'm a bloke, I can handle that, not even the tiredness, more the sick & diahria - doesn't sound nice at all. Ah well, here we go, can't get off the ride can we!
Guest user
Not applicable

Hello fellow sparklers,
Lizzy09 - just wanted to wish you well for tomorrow. I hope it all goes ok.
I have just been having a look back over the thread and many of you seem to have had wig fittings and headwear advice bef ore your chemo sessions started. Can you let me know if this was sorted through your BCN or the chemo dept. I'm feeling a little underprepared as I am not seeing anyone until the day before my treatment starts.
Any advice greatly received. Have started to write a shopping list but not sure if I'm being just a little too organised.
I hope everybody is doing okand my thoughts are with you all.
Im going to make the most of the next week or so with my lovely husband and son before my treatment starts. I think I need to find a way to deal with my anxieties which is making me over think everything.
Im off to bed now so sleep tight my fellow sparklers
Take care of you
Nik x
Pascal_48

After being told on Tuesday that I would be having chemo before op I felt a lot better. I came home today fron town to find a letter from the hospital saying I have a date for my operation next Tuesday! Total meltdown. Phoned the breast care nurse who said it looked like a mistake as I was down for chemo first and that she would get the hospital to phone me. 5 long minutes later I get a call saying that the appointment is for my "tattoos and titanium marker." What a relief, I just hoping I can get dolphins or hearts instead of dots I was told I would have.
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone I start chemotherapy next week, please could I join this group thanks x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone, I have my portacath fitted tomorrow and start chemotherapy next thursday, I am looking forward to my journey with you all, the journey starts here. I love you all already ps I am not this happy inside
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all, including new peeps, have first session tomorrow morning, trepidation is setting in big time. Had to have a back molar removed today, ouch! Had first major grizzle driving home since this whole roller coaster started. Still feeling bit down from that. Glad I'm choosing not to have cold cap now, don't think I could handle the extra pain in my head!!!!
Hi Nik, thanks for best wishes, you're absolutely right about washing machine head! On a permanent spin cycle! Take care, will catch up with you properly soon. CK x
Hi Kim (Honey22), will keep an eye out for you, good luck with everything, will be thinking of you CK x
Hi Shazza, I'm booked in for LGFB on the 13th, will be good to have a bit of a lift. Will be looking into complementry stuff as well like aromatherapy later. CK x
Hi Lizzie, am contemplating going shorter sooner rather than later, think I'll wait 'til it starts noticably falling out though. CK x
Hi Dealbeach & A1fie, sorry you guys are here as well. Will catch up with you later, have to go off and try to catch some zzzzz's for the big day tomorrow. Night night all xxx
Shazzaboro

Hi all,
I've been to a Look Good Feel Better event today and would recommend it to anyone! A dozen ladies, all at various stages of treatment getting a skin care and make up session. Got some good hints and tips, had a natter and a laugh then came out feeling a million dollars! Not sure which areas of the country deliver it but if you get a chance to go don't hesitate. It certainly lifted my mood

Shazza
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi CK1,
Just wanted to say good luck for tomorrow hope it all goes well - well as can be expected under the circumstances. My thoughts and best wishes are with you.
Take care of you.
Love and hugs,
Nik x x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jellymould my FEC starts on Friday, the day after tomorrow - I am choosing some headwear tomorrow and will have a short (crew) cut a few days after the first dose and start wearing the turbans etc. Am mentally braced for this now!
Guest user
Not applicable

I am having a Hickman line for my drugs - let us know how your Portocath is, I expect it is similar.
HONEY22

Hey Ladies – well here we are again!

My story is – first diagnosed 4/9/07 (44 yrs old) WLE, SNB, radiotherapy 5 weeks and 5 yrs tamoxifen.

Routine mammo this year 15/8 – was told the results would be with my doc within 3 weeks so went off to Cyprus to my daughters wedding in great spirits – when I got home 2 letters from hospital to say they wanted to see me for a review. Thought nothing of it because I was 5 yrs to the day from being diagnosed and thought it was a “well done, you can now come off tamoxifen now” speech and get on with the rest of your life! How wrong was I ....

I was recalled for ‘further investigations’ – had mammo/ultrasound/FNB & core biopsy that day to be told - they were concerned and to come back next week for “ the results and a plan of action” – well in my mind you wouldn’t need a plan of action if everything was ok!

So off I went to get the results knowing exactly what they were going to say – only it was much worse than I thought it was going to be – 2 tumours in left breast (15mm & 20mm) and grade 3 so mx was needed and I could have a reconstruction at the same time – which I did – LD back flap recon – op went well and I am now 4 weeks down the line and healing really really well – delighted with results of reconstruction – only fly in ointment is the fluid in my back – quite restricting at times but body seems to be absorbing it now – slowly!!

After op had CT scan which has shown up “something” on left lung so chemo cant start until they find out what this “something” is – I have a PET scan on 12th Nov & a heart scan 13th Nov – my consultant seems to think it isn’t cancer as he put it – it isn’t typical shape of lung cancer and could be a scar from a previous infection ...

So to cut a long story short – I don’t know if I am going to be a ‘sparkler’ or not! Lol

Onc says he want to start chemo within 8 weeks of op – so that gives me a window of another 4 weeks – pending PET results – I just hope I don’t have to have another op (Onc said there may be a possibility depending what it is).

It is such a support to have all you lovely ladies going thru the same horrible thing that has been thrust on us all – I am not looking forward to the chemo at all – but reading your experiences helps settle me – we are all in a club that no one wants to join!!

I am loaded with the cold at the minute, off work for at least 3 months, trying to work from home – but as you can see I am not too successful as I am on net most of the day!) lol

Anyway thats my story so far – keep up the good work ladies and I am sure you will be hearing from me again on this thread.

Love and big hugs – Kim xo