Starting Chemo November 2012

Hi all,
Thought I might get the ball rolling here so we can meet and greet and assure each other through the bumpy road ahead. Unless someone has already started a thread…
I was due to start chemotherapy in October so cannot be a ‘Pumpkin’ due to post-op infection (into its 3rd week boo hoo! Have pre-assessment next week 24th and consultant meeting following week on 30th October so unlikely to start before November. Have already seen oncologist 2 weeks ago and am having 6 x FEC-T followed by Tamoxifen.
As a group I thought we might have an endearing term. The October members are the Pumpkins. Any ideas of names for November? Sparklers? (a bit hopeful maybe?) But isn’t that what we need?

Look forward to hearing from you.
CK x

Hi
I’m happy to be a sparkler, prefer that to a roman candle or catherine wheel! I’m due to start chemo on 15th November as long as my wound heals, I’ve had an infection too. Dressing has just been changed as I now have a little hole which needs to heal from the inside. I’m getting 6 cycles of EC followed by Tamoxifen. I’m hoping to get all 6 cycles but I suffer from Crohns disease too and I’m not sure of the effect on my bowel [I’ve had surgery on it in the past and Crohns is an inflammatory bowel disease]. I’ve just booked my wig appointment, that should be interesting. I had long hair which I got cropped last week [have to say I do like it short]. I’ve arranged a couple of get togethers with mates in the next 3 weeks, determined to enjoy them as much as I can. I’m nervous/worried about chemo but have read lots of posts from others and picked up some good tips. Started collecting things that may be useful already.
It will be good to share experiences with others going through the same thing at the same time.
Shazza x

I’m likely to be a sparkler (like it!). I’m going for a mxt and recon on 29th ict and been told to expect chemo 3 weeks after, all being well.
Feelibg nervous about it but also can’t wait to get started in a way - does that make sense to anyone? Had my mid-length haircropped this week in preparation for the baldness. Feeling very anxious about my kids who are only 2 & 4 and how they (and I) will deal with chemo.
Kerry x

yea im prob gonna be a sparkler, going to see my onc in the next 2 weeks, im triple neg stage 3. got 4 months of chemo to come. hi to everyone x

Hi Shazza, Kerry & Jellymoud,
Shazza, Hi. Loving your avatar,very appropriate! You sound like you are having a dreadful time on top of all this. Enjoy the next few weeks as much as you can. My birthday’s on Tuesday but have chemo pre-assessment the day after so will be have a little celebration this weekend. Don’t want to go in with any alcohol in system!!! Hopefully you can vent yourself on here. Take care CK x
Kerry, Hi. Nervous? Petrified more like and yes, I want to get it over as soon as possible. I have let my hair grow a bit since diagnosis and have said to OH that he can clipper it if it starts coming out, that’ll be interesting! What reconstruction are you having? I had a skin sparing mastectomy with an implant and will have further reconstruction if I want later. I don’t think they start chemotherapy until you are recovered from surgery. As you can see here two of us have infections which delayed the process. I think mine was brought by not behaving and trying to do too much too soon, answer is: take it easy after op and look after yourself. Take help if offered. Take care CK x
Jellymould, Hi. Have seen you write a lot on forum, sorry to see you’re having such a horrid time. Pressure from work is a bummer. I work full-time and was due to go back this week. Did one day and worked from home the rest. 8 hours on computer caused swelling so had to take it easy again. Due to my position at work have to work as much as possible through whole ordeal but will just pace myself. Did I see a while ago that you had been signed off for a year or was that someone else? With your diagnosis what else are you having, I think you’ve had a WLE. Take care CK x
Glad you all like the ‘Sparkler’ tag, hope it catches on as it may add a little light to an otherwise dark time.
Love and hugs all round
CK xxx

Well Hello you sparkly ladies :slight_smile:

I am Pixie from the April thread - the easter Chemo bunnies and the person responsible for getting all the subsequent threads to choose an endearing name for themselves - bit of bonding is good. Now off you all go and find an appropriate picture to upload. if you look at our thread you will see we are all rabbits!

Sorry you find yourselves here but if you have a breast cancer diagnosis, there is no better on-line forum than this site. So welcome.

You know, just 7 months ago, we were a bunch of scared rabbits, all worried about hair loss and obsessing about wigs. We have supported each other the whole way through and this coming weeknd, 14 of us are meeting up at the Hilton Hotel in Birmingham for Bunnyfeste - a celebration that we got through it. It will be very emotional as this is the first time we have met face to face.

In 7 months time, that will be you.

Stick to each other like glue. A few golden rules that must be obeyed!!

1. DO NOT Google.
  2. When people offer help, take it. Makes them feel they are doing something positive and gives you a breather.
  3. Only listen to medical professionals, the major sites such as this one, cancer research, macmillan, or women who have been through this.
  4. DO NOT rush out and buy wigs… hair falls around 15 days after first chemo. Whatever you buy now won’t suit once your hair falls.
  5. Listen to your body, rest when you need to and never suffer unduly. Chemo is rough but it’s not hell.

I found the best way of knowing what to expect was to read the march thread - the ladies a month ahead of me. You may find it helpful to follow the October thread.

So, on your starting blocks, get ready for an interesting and challenging few months and know you will all get through it together.

Much love

Pixie xx

Thanks so much Pixie,

That’s really helpful. Great tips (we need 'em). We can probably learn loads from your threads. Enjoy your Bunnyfeste in Birmingham.
Love right back at you.
CK xxx

Hi CK, Kerry & Jellymould
Happy birthday for Tuesday CK! I’ve been reading through lots of postings, including those from the October ladies, as recommended by pesteringpixie. Lots of helpful tips regarding how we can prepare for after effects. I’m building myself a nice little bag of tricks. Been for my flu jab this morning and got appointments at the dentist, for a filling, and the chiropodist on Wednesday. Back to the hospital on Monday to see BCN about wound and how it is healing. Lingerie evening this week which I am looking forward to, been wearing crop tops since mx and my softie has a mind of its own. I’ll be nothing if not prepared for the 15th [at least physically]. Mentally I have no idea, most of the time I think I’m coping as well as I can then I will have a good old weep for no apparent reason - better out than in I suppose. Spent this afternoon making cakes and sausage rolls with my nephew so today is a good day so far. Onwards and upwards!
Shazza x

hi CK yes had my WLE and SLNB clear margin and no nodes involved, and as im triple neg will only have chemo and radiotherapy as none of the other treatment will work. good luck to everyone.

Hello November Sparklers

I am just popping in from the March thread (Marvellos Marchies / Musketeers) to wish you all well. I wanted to reassure you that you will get through this. It is hard but do-able and I am sure you will all support each other along the way. I remamber that feeling so well, on the one hand dread but on the other, just wanting to get started. After all, sooner you start, sooner you finish! I am sure you will have picked up lots of hints and tips from the other threads, but there is also a list of tips on the front page of the ‘undergoing treatment - chemotherapy’ page which is very useful. The most important things are to look after yourselves and ask for what you need. One of our Marchies said that when we started and it was invaluable, never be scared to ask for help / drugs / whatever you need.

I wonder whether you have heard about the ‘Look Good Feel Better’ workshops? They are fantastic and I would strongly recommend booking your selves on to one if you can. You get a huge goodie bag of make up and skin care products and attend a workshop where you also meet other ladies going through the same thing. Type www.lookgoodfeelbetter.co.uk into your browser and get booked on soon as I know they get booked up very quickly so you may have a wait to get a place.

Wishing you good health and sending hugs and good wishes

Patchit xxx

Hi fellow Sparklers!

Wow Shazza, we should all take a leaf out of your book. I can’t seem to think beyond tomorrow let alone get anything done. Need to write a list and stick to it. Am going to do what Patchit says and see if I can book a place on the lookgoodfeelbetter.co.uk course. Will put that on my list to do tomorrow. I don’t wear makeup as a rule but it might help a bit. Good luck at the hospital tomorrow. I still have inflammation in mine so will have to call doctors in morning. May need another week on antibiotics. It’s nice the ladies from other months are encouraging us and will definitely be doing the list on ‘undergoing treat - chemotherapy’ page. Take care CK xxx

Hi Patchit,
Thank you so much for the encouragement, as you already know, we need it. Top tips offered and will be following up asap. Hadn’t heard of the ‘Look Good Feel Better’ workshops so appreciate that, will call them tomorrow. Have been reading other threads over past weeks and they do help a lot. Take care, hugs back at ya! xxx

Hi there Jellymould,
Sorry to see your diagnosis. Come here and vent whenever and I am sure we will support you when we can. Let us know how you get on with the oncologist. Thinking of you, sending big hugs, take care CK xxx

thanks CK, i hate all the waiting, will let you know what oncologist says and what chemo i will be on. xx

Hi sparklers,
Im also an April bunny. The time during chemo flies. Listen to your bodies, stick together and try to laugh which might sound strange but it helps. Shout us if you need any help as we have been there and got the t shirts !
Vannsx

Hi - I am popping in from the Birds Without Feathers (August 2011) thread. Most monthy threads found a name for their groups and ours has transformed from without feathers, to with feathers, to with fat, to without fat!!
We are survivors - and we helped each other out through the good times and the bad times. Throughout all of this that is to follow you must remember this.
THIS TOO WILL PASS.
Good luck girls and on behalf of the BWF group we hope all your SEs are little ones.

Hi November ppl.
I am having my 1st chemo on Thursday. So not sure whether to join the end of October thread, or to be in Novembers.
Having FEC x 3 then T with herceptin x 3. Then surgery. Then radiotherapy. Then herceptin for 1 year.
All in a daze, was only diagnosed 12 days ago. All moving way too fast… Got MRI scan this afternoon. Then wig choosing tomorrow.
4.5 cm tumour at the back of breast along chest wall. Grade 3. Will know more after the MRI I guess. Then CT scan and heart scans next week.
Just back from a lovely weekend away in the LAke DIstrict where I did manage to forget for a couple of days. 5 star luxury. Cost a mint I can’t really afford but was worth it just to be pampered and forget.
Scared and confused. I am not ill. I feel fine - apart from worrying.

hi catzoo, i too feel strange as dont feel ill, im still waiting for my onc appointment to find out when i will start chemo and what kind. glad you were able to get away for a few days. good luck with your treatment. x

Hi jelly mould. Hope they don’t make you wait too long for results.
Had my MRI today. Found a lump in other breast so sent me straight off for biopsy on that.
i am still reeling from the cancer diagnosis 12 days ago. Now I got 4.5 cm cancer in left, and 1.6 mm lump in the right.
Looks like my chemo will not now start on Thursday as need to check out the other lump and see what drugs it may respond to if it is cancer.
Shocked and scared. I know my lymph nodes are affected. Can it spread to the other breast? i have not heard of that before.
And got a pounding headache from the MRI

Hi all.
I have my oncology appointment on 30th and have been told I will probably start chemo early November. Hairs already been cut to above my shoulders and reckon I’m going to give the cold cap a go. Don’t know what treatments etc yet.
Dreading it to be honest, this all feels a bit out of my control at the minute and I’m lost.

Thanks Super Trouper & Vanns for your advice and support. We need it! Glad to see you are so positive after the events of the past year. x

Hi Catzoo, really sorry to see your Dx and that you are having such a rough time. I cannot answer specific questions about what you are going through but I am sure your BCN should. I think we’d all have a headache with what you’ve got going on not just the MRI and in such a short time. My thoughts are with you, let us know how you get on. Big hugs CK xxx

Wee Sharon, The waiting is the worst. Have you had any surgery yet? We all feel out of control until we know exactly what is going on. I’m in for oncology pre-assessment today, seeing oncologist again next week and will be starting shortly after that. Hopefully by my replying today you might get other support. Take care, big hugs CK xxx

Hi all, Pre-assessment today, start date 1st November so definitely a ‘Sparkler’. Advised to get flu jab (apparently we should all get one done 'cos of immune system) so have just had that done at doctors. Lot to take in; small steps. Gonna give the cold cap a go at least once.

Any updates anyone else?

CK x