1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo in February 2013: February Valentines

Funkilala

Re: Starting Chemo in February: February Valentines

Maryland You may get your link removed by the moderators. I posted the same link a while back and they took it down.
This was the reason I was given.
"I have edited your post to remove the names of the Health Care Professional and webb sites you have mentioned. We do not allow HCP to be named on the forums as we have previously had complaints from them about being mentioned on the forums"
Guest user
Not applicable

Nice to hear from you Caroline,well done for getting there,will be there soon myself,be glad to never go back to the unit,even though they do a grand job xx
I want to try magnums now
Hugs Chris xxx<3
Cucumber12

Yvonne - I am with you on the magnum front!!! I am addicted to mini magnums!!! Try the almond ones too!!! xxx
Caroline60

Hi All, just popped in from January Gems. Iv just had my last chemo today. I found it tough - but kept my head down and got on with it. I did have a moan sometimes - swore and shouted loudly. But have got through it.
I gave the chemo unit nurses a card saying they were the nicest mass poisoners I have ever met. Also had a good old cry. Its been emotional and life changing. I’m a different person now. I’m going to live life to the full now. Maybe I will become a diva, which is a total opposite of me.

Caroline
chicita

gosh Linda you sound so well organised. i never use a handbag so dont carry handwash etc with me. i do wash my hands frequently and use anti-bac on the worktop but that's about it. i rinse soft fruit and peel apples and pears but that's more because I don't like the skin rather than because of possible germs. apart from the first four days after chemo when I cant stand the smell of hot food I've been lucky and have eaten normal meals and have only put on a couple of pounds. my main indulgence has been white chocolate magnum icecreams which my DIL got me onto, i never used to like icecream but these are yummy and make my mouth feel and taste better, well that's my excuse anyway
x Yvonne
Guest user
Not applicable

Linda I am ok just have moments of gloom sometimes.I am sorry to say I never wash fruit before I eat it,never have,have also drank from a stream in the Lake district only to find a dead sheep in it further up I don't use handwash unless I am out and hands are sticky.I just clean the toilet as usual and never wear gloves in house or garden.I think I have only ever been ill from eating maybe a handful of times in 60 years.I am number two of seven children,brought up in a house full of animals and people.Have eaten mouldy bread when out with horses all day as a kid,and eaten around the mouldy bits on fruit and coconut when the fair visited town.Makes me sound like a right urchin,but I have survived this far.I count myself lucky to have had a wonderful childhood,spending time with great grandfather on his farm,no running water,no gas or electric,cooking on the fire and getting water from the well or the trout stream.The toilet OMG just a bucket loo in a shed with newpaper or magazine paper YUK Hence my phobia over toilets.
Those wonderful days of harvesting ripe red juicy apples and victoria plums and pears from the orchard.Playing in the old barn full of hessian sacks and a tractor and running up the road with a handcart with brothers and sisters in.This was near the airdrome at Bassingbourn not far from Cambridge.Lovely memories.
Well that cheered me up Love Chris xxx<3
dee49

You're welcome Chris; I was just reading through some of your post and it brought so much back; thinking oh gosh I remember those days.... And then I realised how far I've come..... xx

Lola65

Oh dear, we are all in the doldrums at the moment. I was having a conversation with a good friend this afternoon about my fears of a recurrence/new primary and having to go through this all over again. I honestly don't think it had struck her that I was at high risk of this. I think it shocked her. I'm not even sure what the risk is myself. I never read the secondaries threads either, but reading some of "after treatment has finished" threads it does seem we are in for the long haul, mentally and physically.

I am sorry so many of you have had bad days recently what with bums, mouths, bone pains, body image, tummys and now the doldrums. My mouth is awful, dry and slimy at the same time, and my tummy is rumbling and complaining all the time non-stop and I don't know how to stop it. The diarrhoea comes and goes. And I stubbed my little toe 2 days ago and have a huge black bruise across my foot making it painful to walk.

Wattie - what a nightmare for you. You should see inside my handbag, it's full of wet wipes, tissues, foam hand wash, Imodium, you name it, it's there. All I can say is, what a good job the French have proper toilets these days and not holes in the ground! LOL

Chris, it isn't like you to be so down, you have always been the bright cheery one carrying on almost as normal.

I love my berries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries etc but am afraid to eat them. Are you eating them, and if so, how are you washing them? I have tried soaking them in Milton but that just makes them taste odd.

Hugs, Linda xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Nice to hear from Dee,been there survived that.Thanks Dee
dee49

Ladies just hopping in (as an old Embarking on an adventure girl)...... I'm 2.5 yrs post chemo, back at work full time and have hair! so yes there is life after chemo.... and one of my 'positives' about being bald? It was good for getting rid of cold callers 😉
I wish you all well on your journey x

poemsgalore

Totally agree Chris, but sometimes the thoughts break through against our will . xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Oh Kath what a horrid day for you struggling with the shopping trip,I hate shopping at the best of times,hubby loves it,picks up what we need and then stands and studies all the other options on the shelf aaaaargh!!! You made me cry because I don't look like me anymore when I take my wig off,none of us do.Everyone says how well I look and I have been lucky with not too bad se's,but under the makeup and wig I don't look like me.I don't like hubby having to look at me either,so only take wig off late evening after shower.First thing in morning is get dressed,come down,makeup and hair,then breakfast.I even ask him to close the curtains in the evening after my shower so no one can look in at me.My dear neighbour died aged 45 about 8 yrs ago from non hodgkins lymphoma,leaving 2 young sons,just like William and Harry were,it was pitiful to see her walking around the house like a little bald alien,she used to do her chemo at home away from hospital germs.Conversations we had at that awful time keep repeating in my head,I remember her saying Chris there are no guarantees.Anyway I am getting sad now so enough of that.
Tup glad it's not only me that thinks that.
Wattie Karen glad you made it to toilet,thank goodness they were clean,my worst nghtmare
Kath I won't read other threads about secondaries,end of life etc as once you start dwelling on it and thinking the worst you end up depressed and frightened.We are the Valentines,we are strong,we will conquer,united we stand.
Love to all Chris xxx<3
Tuppence

Afternoon all. TAX 2 day 7
Have loads of bone pain which Im trying to control with codeine . Feeling really yucky and fed up. I WANT TO BE ME. Trouble is of course how will we know who we are after all this.? Like you Kath I find my mind wondering over all the what ifs. The thought of revisiting this chemo journey is terrifying. But some how we do have to find a way of living that is liveable don't we.
Chris I totally agree with the sentiment "why don't we get invited out - rather than have people over". My son and family visited today, it was so lovely but SO tiring too. I wish I could be more pro active and ask for what I need rather than try and make it ok for everyone. (Habit of a lifetime)
Well moaning over. I'll continue putting one foot in front of the other till I reach the car park .
Tup x
Wattie

Kath you made me cry too! I am crying in my heart a lot lately. I had to hand over my passport as proof of ID, as you do here, and saw my photo, and the lady just kept staring at me then looked away very quickly - I said to her it is me really! Se didn't mean to be rude.
when I look at my self now I get really depressed, not that I'm vain but uncle fester keeps looking back at me!
I am having a really hard time this last cycle with se, I went to reiki today and blubbed and swore beforehand, good to get it out, and my reiki lady, who is lovely said the problem is you head is telling you it's over but your body is not! So it will be a constant battle at the moment. Unfortunately chemo can take anything up to six months to a year to get out of our bodies, we should start to feel better after about a month of the last one, but not normal for a while.
am heading for an early night again as really tired, and cranky. Linda you will understand this I had to make a quick dash into our local cafe before picking boys up from school, stomach cramps were terrible and I knew I would not make it home. Thank god it had just been cleaned as French toilets are not the best!
sending you all big love and cyber hugs and hope you se are minimal!
xxxxx
poemsgalore

chemo 6, FEC 5, Day 6, the hormones beckon!!

Today has been a really BAD, bad, day. Slept very badly and woke up feeling exhausted. Still went to Asda (our usual Tuesday treat/torment) and had a very small breakfast, discussing with OH the chances of recurrence, mets, a new primary!! Just terrified of the thought of having to go through chemo again at a later date. Walking around the store I felt as though I was going to collapse in a heap some of the time or throw up over the shopping at others. Managed to get around though. Treated myself to a couple of iTunes vouchers. I downloaded a brilliant British Birds app yesterday. Photos, info and bird song - lovely. Then at bus stop - read previous post!! Hence sad poem.

So sorry to hear so many of us are suffering in various departments (mouth, bum, joints etc) and I'm looking forward to feeling normal again. Only reading side effects of aromatase inhibitors, it sounds like same old, same old with some of them. And what about this bloody weather???!!! Where's summer - AGAIN!!

Sorry to be so grumpy, but looking at my bus pass photo really did upset me. It seems so silly to be so upset about the changes in me.

Love Kath xxx

Sorry to make you cry Chris. What did I do??
Guest user
Not applicable

Kath you just made me cry
Alison not heard of yellow raspberries or landcress,is it a watercress?I have a small patch by my greenhouse down the garden it has red currants blackcurrants,full of berries,gooseberries,bought 1 plant didn't know they root themselves so have 5 plants now all showing fruit.I have strawberries,looking good at moment but last year looked good but not much fruit,don't know why,they are 3 yrs now,so fingers crossed ok this year,plenty of flowers.I also have raspberries which pop up everywhere,usually dig up and move back near the fence.I have a lovely cultivated thornless blackberry,always fruits well,massive fruits,would do well in a show.
Took pics of my bluebells under the fruit trees yesterday with my new garden ornament a fairy asleep on a toadstool,I love it.
Oh well rain is settling new stuff into allotment so all is well.
Oh and just to mention,my friend that came this morning,fell on ice 2 years ago ,banged back of her head,damaged her brain and hasn't been able to taste or smell anything since,and we are moaning about taste whilst on chemo.At least we will get back to normal,but she never will.She said cooking is a problem,her other half has to suffer either too much flavour and seasoning or not enough.She gave him dinner ,he said what is this mince,we usually have with potatos,not rice,she said it's chilli,he said it's not
Anyway love to all Chris xxx<3
poemsgalore

Chris, when I had my last one I asked onco how soon I would begin hormone treatment and when can I see RA consultant about resuming Methotrexate injections. She told me to give myself 4 weeks, so maybe that's how long they take. No wonder we all felt so awful whilst going through it as we only waited 3 weeks on average for following treatment, unless bloods weren't right!!

Love Kath xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Afternoon Vals,
OK friends and cousin visited,feel horrible about the moan this morning because it was a lovely visit,caught up with lots of gossip,they brought lovely flowers and chocs.Not happy it's still pouring with rain so can't go up allotment or anywhere,so fed up stuck indoors.weather for Suffolk show tomorrow,not very good,like today really,so umbrella,warm clothes and boots order of the day.
Funki what you said is so right,we are thinking last one and back to normal,but those that are there are finding its not the case.Does anyone know how long it takes for drugs to get out of our system?
Love Chris xxxx<3
poemsgalore

This is a non rhyming poem, inspired by a trip to Asda today (a BAD, bad day) using my bus pass. I looked at the photo on it, which was taken 6 years ago and said to OH "I'll never look like that again" he agreed and I almost started to cry in front of everyone!!

Heart Full Of Tears

With dark hair and eyes
I looked quite solemn
when that photo was taken.
Unremarkable,
unsmiling.
Different to now.
Bald, moon faced, alien.
No tears in my eyes,
but plenty in my heart.

Love Kath xx
Cucumber12

Chris, I have a thirst for the first few days after chemo. It’s not a dry mouth as such, but a yucky mucousy mouth and a need for fluid. It’s horrid.
Sandra, I did lots of reading regarding rads as I also felt I had had enough. But for me it made sense as it seems grade 3 no nodes has a tendency to come back. So hit it with everything. It’s meant to be easier than chemo, just the travelling for me that’s a nuisance.
Chris, we have a veg patch at the top end of the garden (don’t I sound like I have an estate?). I am surprised just how much I have managed to do this year as I expected it to lay barren. Thankfully with it being just here I can pop out and do little and often. We need to get the tomatoes into grow bags, but having chemo on Friday threw this weekend out (when it was sunny) and now I feel up to it it’s raining. Next weekend it will be then. Last weekend I put the squash and sweetcorn in. We already have onions, spring onions, kale, beetroot, carrots, parsnips, leeks, courgette, lettuce, landcress, spinach as well as the fruit; yellow and red raspberries, gooseberries, red currants, rhubarb (boy do we have that) and strawberries. It’s amazing how much you can fit into a small space. I am really pleased we have managed to get it done as you cannot beat picking your own produce.
Paula, sorry you’ve joined me and Kath on the loo (so to speak). I hope you manage to get some relief. Do you have movicol? I take 2 a day when constipated and it sorts things out.
Karen, if you have dental work ask for antibiotics at the same time – this would sort any possible infection out. I had a gum infection during chemo 3 and needed work to clean area and was also prescribed antibiotics. I had no problems. And I was told it takes 3-6 months to fully recover after chemo – so give it time!!! One small step each day to recovery.
Well the bottom saga continues. I left taking movicol for a day after chemo to ‘enjoy’ the freedom of not going!! This may have been a school girl mistake – I was dreadfully constipated last night and after two arduous trips to the loo and lots of effort finally gave birth. I was in dreadful pain afterwards and didn’t sleep due to the pain. I used my anaesthetic cream and took pain killers all to no avail. Since Saturday evening I have been taking movicol, but still nothing today and I am getting slightly scared about the next movement. I was told that after chemo 6 I had to wait 4 weeks until my diet could return to normal – on that day I am off to the supermarket to buy probiotic yogurts and I am going to down them all in one go!!! Probably with prunes and nuts and whatever else was on Kath’s list.
I hope you all have a good half term – if the rain stops
Alison xxx
Funkilala

Dearest Karen, I think that you are being far too hard on yourself. You may have finished Chemo technically but you are still in the middle of this last cycle! I dont think that you will begin to see an improvement until at least 3 weeks after the end of this last cycle and even then it is going to take time to fully leave you system. You need to tell hubby this and anyone else that is expecting the old Karen back too soon. You have done so well with everything you have gone through since your ops in December and you have to keep telling yourself that despite feeling crappy now that you wont have to go through this again and with each week that passes you will feel better. You are in the car park lovely lady but you just dont have the right change for the parking machine. very soon some nice man will come along and kindly give you his ticket and you will be free ( God that was a shit analogy soz lol)
With regard to your dentist I would ask your ONC and see what he/she says. I was lead to believe we had to wait until well after chemo finished before we had any work done but I may be wrong.
x x x
Guest user
Not applicable

FEC5/6 d9
Morning Vals,seems we are all struggling along with various se's.
Thanks Kath and Chicita re dry mouth,feel like I should be on a permanent saline drip to plump me up.Turning into a prune.
Glad you had a lovely weekend Mandy,makes all the difference.
I feel fine today after my day on sofa,thank goodness.Friends and cousin visiting,I don't know about the rest of you,and I really do appreciate seeing them and their support,BUT,why don't they ask me round to their places for luunch or cuppa,as they don't realise that it means I have yet another day stuck indoors in my sick pit.I really don't mean to moan,just having been home for so long get fed up being in so much.Too polite to suggest I visit them.Sorry if I sound ungrateful.
Anyway if its dry will try to pop up allotment later this afternoon
Don't know about invasive dentistry at this stage Karen,are you in your low period,open to infection?
Love to all Hugs((())) Chris xxx<3
Lola65

Karen, day 14 of Tax is when your bloods should be improving, but if it isn't bothering you unduly, it won't take harm by leaving it a day or two, and you can keep it clean with mouthwash presumably???
Whatever, I would speak to your onc first and ensure your dentist knows you are only just past your chemo infusion.
chicita

karen one of my huge back fillings fell out during first cycle and i went to dentist to get it fixed. never thought about it at the time but when i mentioned it in passing to onc he wasnt happy. that was when it really hit home about being super careful about possibilities of infection. you should be ok by now but make sure dentist is aware you are having chemo.
x Yvonne
Guest user
Not applicable

Can I just ask has anyone had dental treatment ( a filling ) after chemo , do u think it is ok by day 14/15 ?
Thanks x
millymolly_m

Morning ladies. Couldn't post here over the weekend cos stupid here forgot to take my login password and I couldn't remember it!
Good luck today Sandra. How great that we're getting to the end at last.
My weekend away was lovely. I made the very best of early SE free TAX. It doesn't seem to affect me, other than giving me steroid bounce, until day 5 or 6. We set off back in good time yesterday as it was pouring with rain. Good job too cos by the time we got home I was shattered. I had a soak in the bath and spent the evening comatose on the sofa. Steroids have worn off. Juzzshing head and bone aches seem to have got a hold as I had a pretty poor nights sleep.
My mouth is really off now. I can only describe it as if it's been bleached. Just like if you get bleach on your fingers, all slimy. My taste has goon right off but I spent the night craving toast and marmalade!
Karen, I'm sorry that your having to struggle with your OH on top of everything else. This experience has made me very grateful for mine. Yes, we're a bit boring and maybe not quite loves young dream anymore but then being married to a true friend can't be all that bad can it?
Paula, like you, the thought of taking tablets to overcome yet more SE's is horrid but I have to admit the latest additions my Onc gave me have made all the difference (Sodium Docusate for stool softening and Lansoprazole for indigestion).
Hope everyone has a good day. I'm going to have to nod off again now. Exhausted still.
MMM xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Day 14 Tax 3
morning all , hope we are all coping with our SEs , I don't think I've had a pain free day since my ANC/WLE on Dec 28th , I'm getting fed up & can't wait until the day I wake up & feel normal again !
my eyes won't stop watering they are red raw ! My legs ache & throb & I've still got that sickly feeling , personally I was floored with cycle 5 &dont feel like I've pulled through . Now I've also found myself constantly saying " I'm still poorly you know " or similar , it's as though I'm constantly reminding OH & little one that just cos chemo has ended doesn't mean I'm better but I'm even getting on my own nerves , I coped better when I was having chemo !!
Sorry to moan !! I used to be so positive & upbeat but my get up & go has got up & gone !! Think I'm being impatient expecting to feel better too soon !!
I'm just trying to get my head around a healthier diet & light exercise , last night was pondering on yoga & salads etc whilst eating a bag of kettle chips & my filling fell out !! Dentist today just to improve my mood !
Anyway I hope my cheery , positive post has really made everyone feel upbeat ( sorry !! )
take care everyone
karen x
granny_p

Good luck today Sandra..XX Im Grumpy again spent over an hour on the loo last night constipated,everything that would help with it just makes me feel sick with the thought of taking it,Achy,tired and fed up,,catch up later...xxx hugs to all..x
Lola65

Hi Gill,

I don't know if this is significant or not, but I am on 6 cycles of TAX with Carboplatin and Herceptin. I'm not having any FEC at all. My TAX doseage is the standard one for my regime and is at 75%. I did ask about possible reductions after my first cycle when I was very neutropenic, which frightened me to death. He said no, that is the last resort only.

My mouth is also dry, but improves when I mouthwash with water!
chicita

Chris yes my mouth is very dry too. its that feckin FEC its got progressively drier after each dose. ive found chewing gum helps, also helps with foul taste and slimy feel to my teeth.
x Yvonne
Wattie

Just a quickie as gone to bed with hottie, feeling like s***t.
dont know what's worse mouth, aches, shivers, shi**s, this blessed tax is certainly giving me a run for it with my last one!!! but it won't win, I will get through it now where are those meds to help me?
just wanted to say a big good luck to everyone getting chemo or bloods this week. Sandra you tomorrow will be joining us in the car park yippee!!
Funki I am tired too but my problem is I fight it which I must stop, hence going to bed at 7.30 French time!!
nite all and here is to all the horrid se going soon xxx
Funkilala

Gill, having your Tax lowered should not affect your survival rate at all. I asked the same question before my ONC lowered mine by 20% this round. He said something like.... in Finland and a few other countries they only have 80% Tax given as the norm and a study was done compared with those that get 100% and there is no difference between survival rates. For some reason the UK is licensed to give the full 100%. Obviously speak to your own ONC but I just wanted to reassure you.

FEC-T TAX 2 day 13
I have done nothing but sleep for the last 3 days. I dont seem to be able to keep my eyes open and i'm getting a bit worried. I have suffered with tiredness before on previous cycles but this is ridiculous. Has anyone else had this?
Gill_567

Sorry to hear of aches and yucky mouth Tup and Wattie .... it's all down to TAX. I'm on day 19 of cycle 5 and only now can I actually say that things are beginning to taste reasonably OK. Also down to 2 doses of pain relief daily. Seeing onco on Wednesday. She was talking of lowering the TAX dose for cycle 6. Not sure if I want to or not ... particularly given my survival statistics. Having got this far, it seems a shame to lose a percentage or two. I will see what she says.

Good luck for tomorrow Sandra. Hope you manage to get everywhere on time!

Kath, glad to hear the apples are working. Hopefully Alison will also have found some relief too.

You've been so busy again Chris. More than I manage to do in a week! I take my chemo cap off to you!

Glad to hear you've got a break to look forward to Linda - you deserve it.

Everyone else very quiet these last few days. Hopefully a good sign that all have been enjoying the BH break / weather.

Take care all,
Gill x
poemsgalore

By the way Chris, re dry mouth. I get that because of Sjogren's, I usually have Glandosane spray on prescription, but it doesn't last very long. So I bought a tube of BIOTENE from the chemist. It's a gel to put on your tongue and tastes quite sweet. Can't remember how much it cost though!!
poemsgalore

Linda, so am I, but its going slowly.
Sandra, Good luck for final chemo, hope it goes well. About rads, try to find out what your chances of recurrence are before making the decision. for me, less than 20% in chest and 50% in lymph nodes under arm. there is always ANC to sort that out if necessary, but I think I've said all this before.
Chris, fingers crossed your bloods will hold out for 10th June, want you in the car park with us. Reading the list of veggies you've planted, it's a good job I don't know where you live, or I'd be down there (or is it up there?) raiding your garden when they all come through. All my favourites, especially the beetroot. YUMMY!!

Good luck to anyone having treatment this coming week, still quite a few heading for the car park. to the rest:

WELL DONE LADIES

Love Kath xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

FEC5/6 D8
Good Afternoon Vals,
I feel so sorry for those of you with trouble with Ex's,what a nightmare when you split and children involved.Hard to believe that you were once in love and making babies.Where does it all go wrong?Happy to say we have been together since I was 15 and he was 22 yrs.
Valji shame you have to change chemo prolonging treatment,but whatever is best for you,can only be good.
Linda trip to cottage sounds fab,enjoy,hope weather is dry for you.
Alison thank goodness for pup to put a smile on your face.Baby bluetits are such a joy to watch,we didn't have anyone take up residence in our bird box this year.
Really liked the poem Kath.Glad your basement is slowly sorting itself out,bet you've never discussed it so much as on here.Not something you discuss in conversation in the supermarket
Wonderful to know many of you now in car park,join you soon 10th june bloods willing.
Had a really busy time up allotment yesterday,put in lots seeds,carrots,radish,swede,peas,beetroot,cabbage plants and lettuce plants given by fellow allotment neighbour.Was going to go again today but think I overdid it yesterday as face was like a beetroot all evening,I was taking my time and sitting down a lot,but felt exhausted after cooking roast for everyone last night,tried to eat mine but gave up after a few mouthfuls,was giving me acid stomach,so daughter went out to ice cream man and got me a tub,that went down well.Ended up with throbbing headache,so took myself off to bed and had bad head all night keeping me awake.Have been on sofa all day,headache gone now but feel bleurgh,don't want to be out in the sun,shame to miss a lovely day.Got friends popping in tomorrow then will be going to the Suffolk Show on weds with daughter and granddaughter and sisters.Will see my dad as well,he lives next to the showground.Have borrowed a shooting stick so that I will be able to sit when I need.
Does anyone else suffer with a very dry mouth,its as though I have eaten a sloe berry,my tongue and throat is so dry,no matter what I drink,that will be the cause of my headache,dehydration.Have got bit of funny taste back too,usually gone by now.
Oh I had a dream that I met Jo80,wierd!!
Happy healing thoughts to all Love Chris xxxx<3
Guest user
Not applicable

Apples always work on me!!.... not that I need them at the moment.... not suffered with being constipated since I sarted this journey... other way round.. hence the weight loss :-((.... trying to relax today as tomorrow is going to be hetic... cock up on appt with onc so I have to see her at one hospital for 12.30 and try and get to another hospital for 2pm fo or my last chemo!!! yay!!... I reach the car park tomorrow... bit anxious as I know whats coming afterwards... dreaded SE's... this time Im asking for soluable anti sickness tabs at the hospital... saves my DN nagging my GP for them...

Im at the ifs and buts stage about RADS... but I guess i will find out more and ask lots of questions when appt comes through... at the stage I just want this journey over and done with now 😞 had enough!!

Love to all valentines who are reaching the end of this stage of treatment.... holding hands with you all... xxxx
Lola65

Kath, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy after what I've been through! Glad you are sorting it.
poemsgalore

Well Linda, the apples etc seem to have worked. Quite loose now. Just don't want it to be too loose .
Lola65

TCH cycle 3 day 7

Not doing too bad. Weary and not able to do a great deal, but at least I'm sort of pain free. Had some aches and pains yesterday evening, sorted quickly enough with paracetamol, but still got dickie tummy. I'm fed up with it now.

We had a lovely day yesterday but I did too much, so am taking it easy today. Good news though, we are hoping to get away on Saturday for a week to a cottage we go to every November as a rule. It's only 45 minutes drive across the Trough of Bowland so easy enough to get back if necessary. There are loads of beautiful walks, plenty of excellent wading birds to watch from the comfort of a bench somewhere, sea, river estuaries, woods, beautiful countryside. I can't wait.

Hope everyone is doing well, Linda xxx
Tuppence

TAX 2 day 6
Likewise Wattie - aches and yucky mouth. Plus emense fatigue. Just watching OH mow the lawn is wearing me out!
Wishing all Vals as happy a Bank Holiday as possible in the circumstances.
Tup x
Wattie

Aches and yucky mouth that's all I have to say!
love to you all xx 🙂
Lola65

Kath, apples for constipation??????????????????????????? They are good for diarrhoea, or so I believe! The BRAT diet is for diarrhoea - Bananas, Rice, Apples, Toast.

xxx
poemsgalore

Ooh Alison, that sounds much worse than mine. I do feel for you. I have Sjogren's, which gives me similar symptoms to IBS, so maybe you have IBS too.
Laughing at the pups antics with socks and pants, and the baby blue tits sound lovely. I love to watch them when they come out of the nest and sit, beaks wide open and waving their little wings about.
Take care, and I hope we both get some relief when this is over.

Love and hugs, Kath xxx
Cucumber12

Oh Kath, we do suffer with our bums, don't we?! I have still got the bleeding (literally and figuratively) fissure, but the chemo makes me constipated so I am enjoying not going for a while. Taking movicol to ease things now and hoping a small break in the tediousness of constant pooing will give me time to heal (but not holding my breath).
Irritable bowel sounds possible - so I will look that up and see if there is anything I can do. I also heard that milk can cause issues during chemo (not sure if this is true so will look that up also). But my onco thinks it's just the chemo causing the issues - so perhpas I just have to live with it until it's all over (hopefully in three weeks).
Had my chemo on Friday so feeling low at the moment, but giggling as my OH is trying to get washing out the machine with the help of the pup. He does like pants and socks and will fight for them. I am hoping I will not need to spend much more time on the sofa as I am going to miss all this lovely sunshine and there is tonnes to do in the garden, like find the flowers in the weed bed.
We have bluetits nesting in our box and I have heard the chicks asking for food. Lovely signs of spring cheer me up no end.
I hope you are all managing to get out and enjoy some nice weather whilst we have it.
Alison xxx
poemsgalore

Guess who has a bit of constipation again!! And a small hemorrhoid which is bleeding a bit, which makes it awkward doing pooh sticks for bowel cancer as I don't want any blood in THAT sample!! Eating normally, although adding in apples, GO bars, lots of veg etc. as I want to clear this constipation up. I hope Alison isn't still suffering, but she probably will be, poor love.
Injections started today, and had the last of steroids, so it's all downhill from here!!

Still, managed to get a load of washing out and dried in this lovely sunshine. Shame it's going to get colder again.
Envious of all of you who are managing to go on long walks, holidays etc. We're still stuck here at home, but the garden is growing by the minute. all the new plants we got from the garden centre are thriving and our roses all have buds on. the Clematis are all reaching the top of the trellis they are clinging to. Lovely stuff.
Continued support, love and good wishes to you all.
Kath xx
Lola65

TCH cycle 3 day 5

Last cycle days 4, 5 and 6 were crappy (literally) but this time so far so good. Must be the added bonus of some warm sunshine. I hope it lasts.

Well done and congrats to all of you now in the carpark and on the approach road.

Karen (Val) nice to hear from you again, and so sorry you have had some nasty problems. I do believe the weekly doses are less harsh. Fingers crossed for you. Keep in touch.

Louise, my steroid face is a big round halo right round. It doesn't burn or hurt so I forget it's there until someone mentions it. Not very fetching along with everything else body-image-wise!

Love and hugs, Linda xxx
Gill_567

There are loads of posts missing from yesterday afternoon / evening, as well as Kath's poem. Grrrrr.
I saved mine, so here it is again:

FEC-T, cycle 5 (TAX 2), day 17

Jo: apologies for confusion re. which cycle you are on. I must have read the relevant post during worst chemo-brain phase. Got completely the wrong end of the stick.

Well done Paula and Mandy for number 5 and also to Alison (assuming all went well today).

Good to hear Karen that the manky mouth of TAX does eventually disappear. I’ll be delighted once food tastes better that bleugh! Sorry to hear you’re having hassle from your ex. Just what you don’t need. Fingers crossed for an amicable solution on 11th. Paula too … sounds like your “friend” has forgotten what true friendship means.

Yvonne: it sounds like you do have a really good BCN system there. I hope that they manage to drain your seroma and that it’ll be the last time you need to have it done. My breast and armpit are all a little stiff but I’m sure it’s down to me nor doing the exercises as often as I should be! Must try to improve things before rads…

Congratulations Louise on reaching the car park. I hope the view is good! Sounds like you are mightily relieved. A big tick. Hope you can enjoy your good week before the SEs hit. Do you have dates for your rads yet?

Kath – another one in the car park! Well done too. Just make sure there are enough spaces left for the rest of the Valentines. And watch out for those pesky gremlin SEs. Cream at the ready…. Great poem too.

And yes, Funki – in answer to your question that has now disappeared … I have shivered more than roasted throughout chemo (although not one to feel the cold usually). Arctic weather not helping either. Extra blanket on the bed last two nights. Gas bill horrendous this year!

Karen (Valji1): good to hear from you again. Sorry to hear things not going quite to plan. Hopefully the new regime will suit you much better.

Take care all,

Gill x
poemsgalore

Fed up now, posted this last night and it's vanished. so here it is again!!!

From the Waiting Room To The Car Park And Beyond

Many others trod this way
and many more will come.
All started in the waiting room,
all feeling very glum.
Waiting around for appointments
then waiting to have their tests.
Waiting to get the results back
and find out what's in their breasts.
Is it benign or is it cancer?
Could it be invasive?
Is it treatable, has it spread
Oh God, don't let it be pervasive!

Then when the results are in at last
and a treatment plan is in place,
a calmness sets in and you breathe again
and a smile returns to your face.
You will need an op, and might need rads
and some of you will need chemo,
it seems the roundabout never ends
that your life's led in a casino!
Place your bets and spin the wheel
let's see if your number comes up,
you wait and see, what will be, will be,
you know you'll drink from that cup.

Each cycle passes with added worries
of what the next one might bring.
Sickness, diarrhoea, or constipation
you take them all on the chin.
Then suddenly, the last one arrives
you can see the car park at last,
you look and see your friends all waiting
the ones who helped the time pass.
Beyond the car park, another world,
with fields and meadows of flowers.
A world in which you move forward
and regain your previous powers.

And so to the future you finally look
with confidence and hope
but whatever this future holds for you
you know now that you WILL cope.
Are you having Herceptin? Or hormone tablets
to keep the monster away?
You continue on, as you did before,
taking things day by day.
But on your journey you made many friends
who you never will forget,
friends who will always stand by you
even though you may never have met.

Love Kath xxx
Yankee

Believe me -- celebratory multi-glasses of wine at congratulatory dinners don't do too well with steroids!!!! Woke up this morning with two bright red cheeks like a Polish doll. Otherwise feeling fine and very sorry to hear of some of the setbacks. What a bummer valji1!!!!!!!!

Love to all, Louise