cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo in February 2013: February Valentines

BlueRose

Re: Starting Chemo in February 2013: February Valentines

Hi Lovely ladies.
Just dropping by to say hello and that I haven't forgotten you!
Hope you are all as well as can be.
I am doing well, I had my reconstruction in July and am now back at work and enjoying life!
I still have the odd wobble as I'm sure most of us do but in general I am ok.
Sending you all lots of love. Enjoy your meet-up. I met with some of the girls from the Younger Breast Cancer Network in London last year. It's a great support and like you say, so good some lasting friendships have come out of this horrible time.
Xxx
Gill_567

It's so amazing that such lasting friendships can develop from something as cr*p as cancer treatment  Louise.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again and raising a glass to absent friends.

Gill x

Yankee

Just 5 days to go until the Valentine's second reunion -- this time in London.  Sadly not all of us can be there, but those of us who can come are getting pretty excited!!!

poemsgalore

Hi everyone. My first visit here for over a month!! It's a bit like coming home, bittersweet. Sad memories, but some good times too. Thank goodness for our FB page. Just thought I'd mention that I've had my 2nd annual mammogram and check up. Still no evidence of disease. What joy to hear those words. Sending love to everyone xx

Nipinuk

Happy 2015 Ladies! I'm a Marchie but know so a few lovely Valentines so want to post!

Can you believe it's about 2 years since we were diagnosed! Seems like yesterday. The memory of finding my lump is crystal clear but I'm pleased to say I feel positive mentally. Still scared but positive. Not positively scared - ramblng now!

How was your new year? We went to Barcelona for the first time and it was fabulous! Sunshine and blue skies everyday, amazing architecture and such a beautiful city.

I'm writing to update you on the amount raised for Wessex Cancer, my local charity through christmas light sales on our website. We sold a total of £140.71 and the amount to be donated is £7.05 (5%). 

Thank you so much for your support!

(cut and paste from my Marchies post)
A friend sent me this and I'd love to share it with you ...

A Psychologist walked around a room while teaching Stress Management to an audience.
As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they'd be asked the "Half empty or Half full" question.

Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired:
"How heavy is this glass of water?"
Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.

She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it.
If I hold it for a minute, it's not a problem.
If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my arm.
If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralysed.

In each case, the weight of the glass doesn't change,
But The longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.

She continued, "The Stresses and Worries in Life , are like that Glass of Water...
Think about them for a while and nothing happens.
Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt.
And If you think about them all day long, you will feel paralysed – incapable of doing anything."

Remember to put the Glass Down.

Much love and hugs xx

CEA49

I'm not sure what has drawn me to this site after so long, maybe it's just that time of year with another Christmas behind us and another new year to look forward to (and to be thankful for). Just wondering how some of the original Vals are getting on and reminding myself what i was feeling two years ago. Love to all.
Wattie

Popped into wish all the Vals a very Happy and Health New Year. Dont know what i would have done without you all over the last few years. Looking forward to our meet up and a large group hug xxx

Gill_567

Yes Louise, it would be lovely to hear how everyone is getting on. I too wish all the Valentines a healthy and happy 2015.

The "hard-core" Valentines are still in touch via FB, sharing our non-BC related lives, but I am so pleased that we only decided to migrate over there after treatment had finished. This forum was so important to us at the time.

Gill x

Yankee

To all the "extended" Valentine family -- hope that your Christmas was very special and that the year ahead will be healthy, happy and rewarding -- in whatever definition of that word best suits you!  Most of the Valentines who have moved to facebook are doing well and getting on with their lives, as we near 2 years after our journey began.  If we haven't heard from you for awhile, we would love an update on how you are doing too!  With lots of love and cyberhugs XXXXX

Nipinuk

Thank you so much Kath. Did you manage to get the link and the code before it was edited? We have raised £5.54 so far! 

poemsgalore

Done that Linda, hope you manage to raise lots of money. xx

Nipinuk

Hello ladies, 

Thank you so much for your kind words. I popped into the Feb thread and read nearly a whole page of posts before I realised I was on the Feb 2014 thread!! No wonder I didn't recognise the usernames! Haha, shows my brain's not quite there yet!

Hope you are all well. It's been absolutely manic here as hubby's business is selling Christmas lights Smiley Happy I've been working really hard on our new website over the last few months and it finally went live last Wednesday. Still sleeping after midnight every night since then as lots to do plus cooking, cleaning - you know what it's like!

I'm hoping to raise lots of money for my local cancer charity, Wessex Cancer Trust who have given me so much in the form of moral support, alternative treatments, holiday in their caravan and a cancer retreat which really helped me to move on. All this has been instrumental in my speedy recovery.

If you are looking for festive lights please send me a private message as 5% of all sales  will be donated to the charity.

Would someone be able to pass on the news to your Facebook page as I don't have access nor an account? Thank you!

Yankee

Valentines busy planning our 2nd reunion in February!  Fantastic counterbalance to quite a few worrisome health and personal issues a scary number of us are going through.  Life certainly doesn't seem to have gotten easier -- but hey girls, we're still here to worry and complain!

millymolly_m

One of my very good friends has just told me she's to start chemo on 31st of this month. I knew she was in I the waiting room but we were all hoping she might be rads only. She's triple -ve so there throwing EC/TAX at her before rads. I've spent the afternoon with her and pointed her in the direction of the forums. Like you all say, back where we met and still so eternally grateful.
Thinking of all my Valentine sisters daily. Xxx
aml46

Me too Karen, every time there's any blip with us I find myself back where we met xxx
Wattie

I haven't been on here for awhile, but felt immediately drawn here after the latest news on our fellow VAL. I am floored, tearful and totally lost for words as to what has been going on with her? Just hope that things will get sorted out and questions will get answered. Keep strong Annabelle love and hugs and prayers to you xxxxx
poemsgalore

Sending prayers, love, positive thoughts and many, many ((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) to Annabelle and her family. xxx

Gill_567

Our thoughts are with our Valentine sister Annabelle ("Cherabel") and her loved ones. Stay stong, we'll support you all the way. xx

aml46

So sorry Linda, losing one of your chemo buddies is awful, and only 40, so young, so sad, so wrong. Sending big (((hugs))) xx
poemsgalore

Oh Linda, so sorry to hear of the loss of your Marchie. It's as devastating as losing a family member, we become so close, especially because of our shared experiences. xxx

Will you have another go at making cider? Perhaps not if it involves a complete redecoration of your kitchen afterwards.Woman LOL or maybe the taste made it worth it.

Nipinuk

Hi ladies, found it too hard to write the last few days as we lost our first Marchie on 22 August. It was a huge shock as she didn't tell us - guess she didn't want us to worry. She was only 40. I nearly saw her last August when we had our Scottish road trip but she was just recovering from surgery. So sad.

Kath I did laugh at the cyanide bit. You would not believe what happened. I thought I'd failed miserably at making it so I took the bottle into our newly decorated kitchen and flicked the top off ..... Big mistake! It went everywhere! I slipped and fell straight after which probably explains why hubby was sympathetic rather than furious (we've still got building work n hubby doing most of it). We cracked up laughing which was good. Tried washing it off but our white walls and ceiling were stained ....redecoration has started. The two gulps left in the bottle was great thought 🙂
Gill_567

It is lovely that there are Valentines still posting on this thread. I pop in occasionally to see how things are on the forum in general. I too would have been lost without you all. xx

aml46

So glad to see some of you luvly ladies keeping this thread 'alive'. Counting my blessings tonight and this forum, led me to this thread and to the wonderful Val's 🙂
and to all you brave ladies going through treatment and working your way through the emotional and physical aspects as best you can. I am proud of you all xxx

Ps: and this is with no alcohol, lol
poemsgalore

Linda, I couldn't understand him, but he said he wouldn't prescribe immunosuppressants "because of my cancer"!! I don't know if he thinks that I still have it, but that shouldn't make any difference anyway. Most docs are scared of Methotrexate, which might be the reason why, but I know my rheumy isn't as she put me on it the first time, So I'm hopeful. 12 more days and counting. Woman LOL

Enjoy your cider. I had to read it a second time, as I thought it said sparkling cyanide!! Which of course is the title of an Agatha Christie book...Woman Wink

Nipinuk

Kath, wow very impressed with your OH cleaning 🙂 Great to hear that the crazy itching has been diagnosed. Did she say why she won't prescribe immunosuppressants? I'm so sorry to hear your RA has worsened. Hope rheumatologist app goes well and you get what you want. It great to hear you're on the ball with your drugs.

Louise, I remember sharing a room with two ladies who had knee replacements and boy, they were in a lot of pain.

Another advantage about having op in the run up to Christmas is that you don't have to run around like a headless chicken during the festivities. Hope you heal well and quickly. It would be a fab start to 2015!

Thanks for the feedback about Basingstoke ortho. Very useful info!

You're right, I feel glad to be tucked away safe here.

I've "made" 2 bottles of sparkling cider today 🙂 first attempt so we'll know the results in a day or two.
Yankee

Hello Linda -- thanks for enquiring about me.  Had my knee replacement on Friday, August 15th.  It still hurts like holy hell, but everyone in the know tells me that I will soon be counting my blessings about having it done.  I get a few months to pull myself together, and then they will probably do the other one in the run-up to Christmas.  At least that should mean that I can launch into 2015 fit and well and pretty much painfree!  That would be a real treat!!!  In fact, nearly a new experience!

I can't say enough good things about the orthopaedic department at Basingstoke and North Hampshire!  It is a really nurturing and well run operation.  Now that the Hampshire Hospitals have amalgamated, it would probably be your location of choice anyway, should you need such care.

Glad that your trip home went smoothly!  With all the storm and terror going on around the world at the moment, I'm pretty relieved to be hidden away here in rural Hampshire with not much family elsewhere to worry about.

With love, Louise

poemsgalore

Hi Linda,

So glad you enjoyed your trip to see family. But sorry to hear your MIL was unwell, I hope she has improved.

You are training your sons well, I think most boys/men just drop everything on the floor and leave it there. Although my OH is always cleaning...lol.

My next appointment is with my rheumatologist as my RA has worsened. Woman Sad I'm really looking forward to see her, as now my itching has been diagnosed but the dermatologist just keeps giving me sterod ointments and creams but won't give me immunosuppressants, I'm depending on her to put me back on Methotrexate which should, hopefully, sort out both problems. Fingers crossed.

Louise is back home. She is in a lot of pain and needs 6 weeks to recover. Poor Louise, as if she hasn't been through enough. But hopefully when she can be up and about, she will notice the difference.

Kath xx

Nipinuk

Hi Kath,

Lovely to hear from you. Visit to in laws was good. Mother in law wasn't well so was glad I could help out.

We had 3 weeks visiting family and friends in Malaysia and Singapore which was just wonderful! I needed that.

Apart from the usual aches, I'm very well. Managed some me time in the garden sowing winter beetroot, radishes, spinach and kale. What went especially well today was the bathroom cleaning competition between my sons! 😉 My youngest won - you wouldn't believe how thorough he was! Will have more cleaning comps me thinks!

How are you Kath? When is your next medical app? Hope this cooler weather hasn't made your aches worse.

Night! Hope you're all well dear Valentines x

Linda
poemsgalore

Hi Nipinuk

We haven't heard from Louise yet, she didn't take her tablet into hospital with her. I'm sure she will pop back as soon as she can.

Hope you enjoyed your visit to in laws and that you are getting on well.

Kath xx

Nipinuk

Louise, how did your knee op go? Hope all went very well and that you have a speedy recovery. Wanted to pm you but couldn't find out how to do it. Just got back from visiting in laws so too tired to faff about figuring it out.

Miss you Sandra xx
poemsgalore

Today is our Sandra's birthday. Sending love to her family. Happy birthday Sandra, we all miss you so much. xx

Yankee

Been a lot of hospital activity with the Valentines lately!  So far all the suspicious lumps have turned out to be fibrous tissue, fatty lumps or pooling fluids -- just what we want to hear!  A couple of our number still are waiting for scans or results, so we hope all that goes well!  The end of treatment certainly does not mean the end of worry!  All the best to everyone who drops in here!  Louiser

Nipinuk

I replied straightaway but think I got distracted and forgot to send. Duh!

Kath I know what you mean. Anything abnormal becomes normal when you have or experience it for long enough.
10 days to go before you get results so hope you get to the bottom of it.

Louise, that's information well worth remembering! It would be wonderful to have your knee sorted. It's annoying getting older. Parts of me don't work or look very well anymore.

On a lighter note, I've been obsessing over slugs! Got 57 of the slimy buggers tonight 😮
Yankee

Nipinuk -- I'm having my first op at Basingstoke on August 15th.  I was scheduled to have it there last year on the same day I started chemo.  Considered changing to Sout;hampton, as we had been so pleased with the BC treatment there -- but after some research discovered that although it is a much smaller hospital, Basingstoke does 3 times as many knee ops, so we stayed put!!!

poemsgalore

Hi nipinuk

Jenny went to the funeral, she said it was standing room only.

I will be glad to get rid of the itching and hope there is some light at the end of the tunnel. As for the RA, I've had it almost 30 years now so I'm used to it. xx

Nipinuk

Wonderful to hear from you all x

Louise, I know of another lady who's due for knee surgery. Where will you be having it? I'll visit if you're in Southampton.

I'll be seeing doc first thing tomorrow. She was on about referring me to hematology. Bone marrow suppression is common after chemo n rads but not a year down the line. I'm looking forward to hearing what to do from doc.

Kath itching n RA .... lousy combo. I really hope they sort both out. Hope you get good news on 16th. Tammy has given me a moustache!! Did anyone go to the funeral? I'm imagining Sandra in a wonderful, joyful, pain free place. I must try and figure out how you did the emoji.

Linda, I've wondered how you are. You're right, I've got low immunity at the mo. Great that mammogram went well but diabetes diagnosis is a shock - c keeps on giving! I had no idea it's quite common after treatment. Wonderful to hear you've got it under control without meds.

Right, must try to sleep as have to be up 6.30am as eldest flying off to France early for an exchange program.

Take care all xx
Lola65

Nice to hear from you again Nipinuk Linda, but sorry you are having problems. I'm not sure what it is you have but it sounds like some immunity problems?

I'm doing well, touch wood. I finished my last Herceptin in April, and prior to that in January I had my first annual review mammogram, which was clear. We were euphoric after the mammogram results but only for 4 days as I then got a diagnosis of diabetes! Came as a huge shock, but after reading loads it seems it is quite common for such a diagnosis after chemo and whatnot. Anyway, I'm in tight control of it through diet, weight loss and exercise. No medication.

Take care xxx

poemsgalore

Nipinuk,

Thank you for popping in and giving us an update on how you are. Sorry to hear of the 'wonderful' side effects that Tammy is blessing you with. Woman Frustrated I hope they manage to get you sorted out.

As for me, I'm still itching - that's one year of it now. They thought it was histamine, but after trying 3 different types of antihistamine (double dose) no joy. I've had a punch biopsy in my leg and have to wait until 16th June to find out results (if any). On Thursday I shall be restarting Anastrozole after several months on Tammy with no problems. Although my RA is beginning to show itself again.

It was Sandra's funeral today at 12pm. Like you say, she always took great joy in hearing good news about others and would want us to enjoy our lives from now on.  Heart  Heart

All the best, poemsgalore xx

Yankee

So sorry to hear that you are having ongoing problems Nipinuk!  What do they do for that condition?.  I'm still suffering some fatigue, but gradually getting better. Having summer will certainly help!  Although in August I have to go back into hospital to have the knee replacement that was scheduled to take place back when I started chemo!  Dreading more hospital time, but looking forward to lessening the pain!

Good to hear from you!

Nipinuk

No, no, no....I'm in shock and upset. I've been thinking about how you all are and thought regularly about how Sandra's doing. Being unable to sleep (thank you tamoxifen), I thought I'd come here to see how you ladies are. I can't believe I won't see her posts anymore. Lovely lady and greatly missed.

Kath, thank you for your words that convey how we feel x

I've just seen Pammy's message and will get in touch with her. Thanks Kath for redirecting.

Just a quick update from me - still not working, can't concentrate and feel fatigue as been leukopenic (low WBC - 2.4, neuts 1.1, lymphocyte 0.8) for about 2 months now.

I'm so sad and upset that Sandra didn't even get to enjoy summer. For us who are still here, she'd want us to. We just have to LIVE. I better shut up as too upset now.

Much love to you all xx
poemsgalore

Book of condolence for Sandra

https://www.funeralzone.co.uk/obituaries/1345

millymolly_m

Thank you Kath - our word wizard. It's taken me until now to summon the courage to visit here, where we all met Sandra. So sad.
Xx
BlueRose

So sorry to hear about Sandra. Thinking of her and her family and of all of the Valentines at this sad time.
Rest In Peace Sandra. Xx
aml46

RIP - lovely lady xxx
aml46

Gill_567

Farewell lovely Sandra. One of our Valentine sisters lost. We thought we were invincible. Heartbreaking.

My thoughts are with your family. xx

Tuppence

That is a lovely poem Kath. Today I feel so in need of a place to take my sadness and fear x
poemsgalore

A very special lady and Valentine, always in our hearts. RIP Sandra. Heart 

Sandra's Glade

There is a glade deep in the woods
where Violets bloom all year.
A place of peace, a place of love
a place to lose all fear.

Just rest within this wondrous place
and listen to the sounds
of Robin's song and Dove's quiet call
such comfort can be found.

Remember those who bravely fought
and shed a silent tear
for those we loved and those we lost
whom we still hold so dear.

So bring your sadness, bring your pain,
to Sandra's woodland glade,
to be consoled and find great peace
beneath its leafy shade.

Yankee

:RIP Sandra O'Connor.  Always a Valentine, always missed!

aml46

Perfect Kath xx