1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo in February 2014?

Mariecay

Re: Starting Chemo in February 2014?

Day 2 of TAC and gotta be honest I feel terrible...got extra meds for nausea so hopefully I will feel better very soon...was struggling to eat and more importantly drink...It's like having flu x
Rowan44

Yes I am posting here and in the group and not everyone will want to be on there as not everyone is a facebook user . I am on FEC-T had my first dose last Friday ( technically January but I felt that Feb group would be better for me ) I am doing far better than I ever expected bit of a sore mouth but got some biotene toothpaste and also 7 days fluconazole from gp as I think tongue looks white .. I find eating little and often helps with the fatigue symptoms and of course resting plenty
poemsgalore

Hi February 2014 group.

I know it is nice to have your own private fb group, but I do hope you will still post on here with your symptoms and how you dealt with them. It can be a record for future new groups to read and learn from.

poemsgalore

Rowan44

The facebook group is up and running  , there are 13 of us in there at present , the group setting is now secret so I am not sure if you can request to join or whether you have to be invited .

Admins are myself , Mariecay , Jonsi79 and Pinkrunner so contact us if you want to join us in there

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Febvalentines2014/

is the link to the Group page

This time last week was my first dose of chemo , I feel really good this evening  main side effect now is a bit of tiredness  not too shabby hope I feel this good after the next round .. and the next one

might even have a glass of wine tonight to celebrate 🙂

Mariecay

Hi hopeful123 me too 😕 let's hope it goes smoothly eh. What regime are you having? I'm having TAC.
have you joined the Facebook group yet? X
lowfatlovatt

Hey jaffacakes
I rang my hospital and they gave me different antisickness drugs, they still werent right for me but they took the edge off, hope your ok xxx
Hey hopeful123
As you might have read from earlier posts I was petrified, andy half dragged half carried me and it was scary, think for me it will be scary every time cuz I like to be in control but its not as bad as you think, try get a good nights sleep, i'll be thinking of you tomorrow xxx
Hey rowan44
Glad to know I made you laugh, ive come to the conclusion that if I dont laugh about it I'll cry and ive done enough of that so if I can put snip bits on here that will make all you other fab ladies laugh I will xxx
Rowan44

Hello hopeful123

I was same last week - had my first dose last Friday , I was very anxious and worried but in reality it wasnt as bad as I expected and one week on I am giving myself a pat on the back I hope I continue to be as good with the next cycle , its the unknown isnt it , main thing is to do as they tell you drink plenty  rest when you can and  we are all here to support each other

good luck xx let us know how you get on xxx

hopeful123

First cycle of chemo tomorrow.......feeling anxious!!!
Jaffacakes

Hi I'm being sick every half hour after chemo today. How did you sort it in the end, Lowfatlovett?
Rowan44

Haha Lowfatlovatt that gave me a laugh 🙂 sounds like you have your hands full at your house 🙂 and you sound much better today big hugs xxx
lowfatlovatt

Hi jaffacakes
Yep her nan and grandad are paying for her driving lessons and we have brought her a car, she cried when she saw it this morning bless her, she says im not old yet but I will be when shes 21 cuz then I'll be 37, shes a cheeky sod xxx
Hi rowan44
Am drinking loads of water, the hubby literally follows me round with the thermometer wanting check my temperature every half hour, im ready take his temperature but he wont like where I put it
My 2 oldest (girls) have been fab, my 5year old son doesnt really understand, he just wants to be a superhero and keeps trying to fly and baby sleeps through now which is ace xxx
Rowan44

Hi Lowfatlovatt

glad you are feeling better , think the headaches are to do with chemo I had one till about day 4  after   keep an eye on your temperature tho just in case 🙂 and keep drinking ...

I have a 15 yr old girl and a 22 yr old lad they have been stars this week really looking after me

really pleased to see the link to the facebook group is working now too I can stop pulling my hair out lol https://www.facebook.com/groups/Febvalentines2014/ for anyone that wants to join in 🙂

Hugs to all

Gill

Jaffacakes

My eldest turned 16 last week. And yes, it was a definite shock. 16 seems so much older than 15. But now you have a 17 year old. Driving lessons?
Jonsi79

Dont want to speak too soon but so far no sickness today after last nights sickness!! Ych!! Slept ok thank goodness.
DN just been to give me my white blood cells booster.
Got quite emotional when OH went to work this morning!! Cant wait for a cwtsh (hug in Welsh) when he gets home later!!!
Daytime tv it is with my hot water bottle which is helping xx
lowfatlovatt

Hey up me ducks
hope everyone is well!!!
feeling better today just got a nagging headache that wont go away but dont know if thats the chemo or the kids
Feeling officially old now-my oldest baby is 17 today, where does the time go
Xxx
Jaffacakes

Hi there, Jo. Good luck with the chemo: is that today now? I'm also starting chemo today - FEC-T, so a bit different from you for the first cycles at least. And I also had mastectomy/ ANC just before Christmas. Plus a bit of a seroma, but thank goodness, and with the help of big knickers, it's gone now. I agree that this is just a chapter. I have no wish for it to be the book! I'm not sure that I have the fighting spirit, more going for quiet determination.....
Jo_W

Ps- found the FB group straight away using the link below (thanks rowan44) and have asked to join. X

Jo_W

Hi ladies. I would love to join the discussions and also the FB group. I am starting chemo tomorrow afternoon and just can't sleep tonight so thought I'd do some surfing and came across this thread(all 8 pages of it now)!. I am on taxotere for 6 cycles then radiotherapy. I had a mastectomy and axillary node clearance on Christmas Eve and have ongoing problems with seroma.
Not really looking forward to tomorrow but trying to find the 'fighting spirit' that the onc said I'd need! Took my steroids too late in the day and am now wired and can't sleep!
Good luck to everyone who is facing this ordeal at the moment. It is tough but got to be done. I read somewhere recently to remember that this is just a chapter in our lives, not the whole book.
Will look for the FB group tomorrow as would love to join. Jo x

Jaffacakes

No doubt I'll get used to how to spell these drugs in time. Right now I haven't a clue.
Jaffacakes

Well, I will get domperidone and ondazatron, but will only get the apprepitant next time round if necessary. Ah well, fingers crossed that it will all work.
Belinda165

Tracy1967

Hi ladies, another vote for Emend if you're suffering from nausea and sickness with FEC, it was a life saver for me.

Hugs to you all starting chemo, it's not nice but doable XXX
Rowan44

looks like its a brand name  the generic is Aprepitant

found this site http://www.emend.com/aprepitant/emend/consumer/index.jsp  🙂

Odansetron is my fave drug at the moment lol

Jaffacakes

Do you know if "emend" is a brand name or a generic name? I've often heard it referred to, but oddly the oncology doctor hadn't heard of it (I was trying to encourage her to let me have it!).
Rowan44

MrsB62 I have sent you a private message about the group 🙂 it is a closed group but seems to not be showing up on searches don't know why
TresVan

Hi I was given a drug called emend as I get terribly travel sick. I had it 1 hour before chemo started and have got two to take at home. Apparently decreases nausea for up to 5 days after treatment. I will let you all know how I got on. Day 1 post FEC cycle 1, so far,so good. Just have headaches, but drinking my weigh in water. 

Rowan44

Regarding sickness

Ask them for Odansetron its a really good anti emetic you take it twice a day for 3 days post chemo , I was given this and domperidone tablets to take  they told me they didnt want me vomiting and also gave metclopromide injections to bring home and I was instructed to call the district nurses if the first 2 medications werent working . Crazy isnt it the variation in what different units do ?

I feel for you lowfatlovatt being sick is so horrible

hope you get something sorted to ease the sickness xxx

Gill x

Rowan44

Hi, the facebook group is called BCC Valentines 2014 , I have tried contacting support to see why its not showing up but no answer as yet- my head is about to explode !

the address of the group is showing as https://www.facebook.com/groups/Febvalentines2014/ so try typing that in ??

however if you want to join send one of us admins a private message on here and we will do our best to get you in 🙂

we need either your name and a description of your profile pic so that  we can search for you and add you as a friend and then invite you  or your facebook email address so that we can invite you by email .

Admins to the group are myself , Mariecay , Jonsi79 and Pinkrunner  so contact one of us to get into group 

Gill x

Jonsi79

Hope the sickness stopped! You definitely need to ask for different drugs if they're not working!!
I would recommend cutting your hair! I had long blonde hair when i was diagnosed. Cut it to a bob middle of jan and just cut it short. Its very tough but its good to be in control! And hopefully will be easier than seeing long hair falling out!! And less painful they say but everyones different and it is a personal choice. One girl I met on fb donated hers to a childrens cancer charity. Maybe thats something you could look into and would give it a purpose.
Big hug xxx
MrsB62

Can't find the FB group. Are the groups settings set so that we can search for it?
I've tried every combination of Valentines 2014 BCC
Mariecay

Awww lowfatlovatt I hope your ok and the sickness has eased a little for you 😞 hopefully they will give you something today to help x
lowfatlovatt

Need to speak to onco, antisickness tablets not working, being sick every 20 mins 😞 xxx
lowfatlovatt

I did today, I have to say it bloody hurt, id rather give birth again 😕 not enjoying things now, cant sleep and been sick 3 times, everyone says I should have my hair cut (its just below my bra strap, really thick and very straight) but dont know whether I should get it cut or not, im sorry Jonsi79 I shouldnt be moaning when your starting your chemo tomo xxx
Jonsi79

No I am not. I like being hot so didnt think I would be able to stick the coldness. And as I am having a dense dose (once every fortnight) it would add to the time I'd have to be at the hospital!
lowfatlovatt

Jonsi79, are you going for the cold cap xxx
Jonsi79

Thank you!! Try to rest xxx
lowfatlovatt

Rowan44, been given the lowest form of antisickness tablets as they said they want to see how I cope with side effects xxx

Jill26, hope so, I need to be ok for thursday-my oldest daughter turns 17 and dont want to spoil her birthday, cant wait see her face when she sees her car xxx

Jonsi79, good luck for tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you xxx
Jonsi79

Hi Jaffacakes! Hopefully by joining us we can all be there for each other!!

Lowfatlovatt - well done you did it!! Chemo#1 is done!!!! Me next tomo morning at 11.30am!!!!
Guest user
Not applicable

Oh, I hope you feel better in the morning! Steroids might give you a boost tomorrow. Xx
Rowan44

drink plenty of water keep drinking and take the anti sickness tablets if you are feeling sick , what have they given you to help you with the sickness ?
G xx
lowfatlovatt

Hey up me ducks
FEC 1 done, the hubby literally half carried half dragged me in cuz I wasnt going, took them 15mins put the cannula in, they blamed my size (im 4ft 11 and almost 7stone) and said if they struggle next time I'll have to have a picc line, feel like ive just woken up after drinking a litre bottle of vodka banging head since got home and not long started to feel really sick
Hope everything goes well with everyone starting their chemo soon
Xxx
Jaffacakes

Hi there, I'm starting chemo on the 6th, so I'm very keen to be in this group, but I'm afraid I'm another who hasn't managed to track down the fb site. I'm really rubbish at Facebook, but will pm you my fb email.

Many thanks
Rowan44

OK so admins on the page are we 4 members  myself , Mariecay and Jonsi79 and pinkrunner so contact us with your facebook details by private message and we will try to add you

There is an option to invite people to the group by email so if you contact one of us admins and give us your facebook email address we will try adding you that way ..

Gill ( aka Rowan44)

Jonsi79

Yipee on fb page. Ladies you might need to change your privacy settings if you cant find it. Thats what I did and its worked!! Join us xxx
Rowan44

Hey gang

ok Facebook ... I have changed name to BCC Valentines 2014 in attempt to make it simpler to find ? give it a whirl search for it on the search bar and hopefully fingers crossed  and all that you might find the group then ask to join !  Either that or send me a private message here and I will try to add you to the group  please dont post your real names here on the thread as apparently anyone can see  . I have to add you as friends  Mariecay is also admin on there we are just 2 members at present very cosy lol

I havent done this before so if there is anyone who has more of a clue please please shout up ... please ?

Gill ( aka Rowan44)

pinkrunner

Thanks June - I've edited it !
June_BCC

Hi pinkrunner

I've noticed you have put your real name in one of your posts.  As these forums are open to the public you may prefer to edit your post to remove your name otherwise this may result in people finding out more about you than you want.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Jonsi79

Rowan44 - Private message sent now!
xx
pinkrunner

Hey KittyKat - I am starting on the 12th - be nice to chat to someone starting the same week.  xxx Pinkrunner xxx

KittyKat7982

Hi Ladies

I was due to start chemo in Jan, so I joined the New Year Newbies Facebook group, and it's amazing! So if someone is clever enough (not me!) to create a private group it'll be such a great comfort and support. I'm starting my chemo on Valentine's Day, so I'd love to join in with you all xx

Edit:  Just seen that you are trying to start one up, great!  I'll try to join too xx