1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo in February 2014?

kiwijan

Re: Starting Chemo in February 2014?

Hi again - from memory I think my hair started coming out on about day 16 of the second cycle - so good luck to you!! 

I was an unlucky one - was first diagnosed 16 years ago and had lumpectomy and rads then it recurred in same spot so mastectomy was the only choice, and then the chemo.  All good now. 

Yep, keep taking the anti-sickness tablets even if you don't think you need them - best to keep them in your system! 

Take care everyone.

Jan

x

Jonsi79

AC Cycle 2 today
So far so good tonight!! No sickness after being a bit more on the ball with the ondansetron at 3 and just taken 2 domperidone. They had trouble getting blood from me yest and monday and then got cannula in on second attempt today so booked in for PICC line before next dose. Had hoped to avoid this but no choice now really!!
Hair still all in atm which I'm surprised about.

Hia kiwijan and thanks for popping in to meet us and glad to hear of another AC receiver! When did your hair start to shed?

Cross fingers for a good night for us all whove had treatment today xxxx
lowfatlovatt

Hey up me ducks
Hows everyone doing?
I feel pretty much normal so im taking the kids shopping and am going to buy all new kitchen stuff, im going from purple to lime green, lets see how long it takes andy to notice!!!
Love and hugs
Hayley
Xxx
Rowan44

Hi Kiwijan thanks for popping in to see us and give us support 🙂
did you have rad as well as chemo or just chemo ?

Lowfatlovatt , no thanks dont envy you at all having to look after a 7 week old little fella , I like cuddles but like to be able to give the baby back for all the serious work ,my kids are 15 and 22 now so they look after me ( sometimes!)

Jaffacakes

Lowfatlovatt, what a lovely spread! Mine are a bit more crammed together: ben 16, Matthew 14, Anna 11. And the dog, Isla, 2.
lowfatlovatt

Hey jaffacakes
I have! My kids are freya 17, meg 11 on thursday, noah 5 and ellis 7 weeks (and having no more!!!)
Xxx
kiwijan

Hi girls!  I was a February 2012 girl!  Like Jonsi I did the short and sharp AC regime - 4 sessions.  Anyway just wanted to say hi and give my support for you all going through this **bleep**e!  My best advice is to drink loads and loads of water before and after your cocktail - it really makes all the difference.  And no alcohol the night before your poison - I made the mistake once of having a few glasses of wine and boy did I suffer! 

I have a vomiting phobia so was scared stiff of that but they assured me the anti-sickness drugs worked and although there were times I felt pretty awful, I was never actually sick - thank goodness!!

I also tried the cold cap for the first 2 sessions but unfortunately it didn't work for me - partner gave me a number 1 which looked disgusting so the razor blade came out which I much preferred!  I had thick, wavy hair which came back in tiny tight little curls - think Michael Jackson - but its all back to normal now. 

Anyway wishing you all the very best for your treatment - mine is a memory now and I don't really think about it much these days.  Feel free to ask any questions!

Lots of love.

Jan

Jaffacakes

Blimey, Lowfat, have you got a seven week old? That's a whole extra dimension.
lowfatlovatt

Hey up me ducks
Why tonight of all nights does ellis decide he doesnt want to sleep when I got oncologist appointment in the morning, anyone want a 7 week old for the day?!
Xxx
Rowan44

Thanks Jaffacakes , yes its a back and to week my daughter is here as well but hoping to get out a bit on wednesday and run the dog on a beach or something like that ..
I had my hair cut really short on Saturday its easy maintenance thats for sure and the bruised feeling has gone , I am just shedding lightly at present
Lol I am sure the boys wont take any notice too busy with video games !
meiyou

Thank you Alice,

That's a bit help. I know what you mean about the lump, as the days are going on I seem to be getting used to it. Just catches me by surprise some times.

Jaffacakes

Good luck with the Hickman line, Rowan. It's sort of frustrating that the 'good' week is inevitably the one where you have to endlessly traipse up to hospital. Oh well, our new routines, I guess. My children are having a rather dull half term this week, as I'm not feeling like any great expeditions. They can do their homework instead. Me, I'm having my hair chopped off on Tuesday. The hairdresser is coming to my house, which is lovely of her. The house will also be full of 14 year old boys as my son has invited friends round. They might get a bit of a surprise...
Rowan44

Hi all , 

Day 18 for me  and still feeling relatively normal and good , bit of collywobbles over going in tomorrow for the Hickman line , I know its the right thing to do as I really had a bad time with veins at the first chemo  . 

Just feel a bit fed up that its hospital week again LOL  tuesday for hickmann , thurs for pre chemo assessment and all being well friday is FEC2 ( ah well only 4 to go after that one ) 

Hello to Alice  sorry that you find yourself here but welcome to the Valentines 🙂  tell me about Facebook gobbling up time !  I cant get off it at the moment lol 

Lowfatlovatt your kids sound wonderful , makes me laugh when you tell us the latest escapade , I have good times with my 15 yr old daughter some of the things she comes out with really make me laugh ,

Rowan44

alice45

Hi Meiyou,

I've found living with the little hard lump takes a bit of getting used to, but the wound has healed nicely and it sounds a lot less trouble than a PIC line as it just sits there for the duration. They go into it with a short stumpy looking needle (very difficult to see what they're doing as you can't see it very well tucked under the collar bone) then add a canula and the drugs go into that. Didn't feel a thing after the initial needle went in and that was nothing to bother about (though the young nurse did miss first time - I guess they all have to practise on someone!) and the following infusion was harder work for him than it was for me. When they take the dressing off you'll probably find a bit of bruising, but it soon goes. And they just slip it out with a local anaesthetic at the end of the chemo (I've already asked!) But once the wound has healed it's just skin with nothing more to bother about by way of maintenance.

meiyou

Hi Alice,

Welcome to the forum. I also have a portacath, still have a bandage over the top so can't feel it at the moment. What is it like when they do the chemo? Do they puncture the skin with a smallish needle. Have you had any problems with it?

Sorry to bombard you with lots of questions already. But really appreciate the sdvise.

Meiyou 

Hazelb27

Hi Alice45

I'm only on day 4 after my first FEC and have found eating ginger nuts has really helped the nausea for me. Been dipping them in my tea to soften first! My side effects haven't been too bad thankfully.

Take care.

Love Hazel x
Lucy_BCC

Hi Alice45, welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support you have found here please feel free to call our helpliners for further practical and emotional support, lines are open during the week 9-5 and Sat 10-2 on 0808 800 6000

The following link will take you to the BCC 'undergoing treatments' support and information which I hope you find helpful:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

You may find some of the information/advice about nausea in the following BCC booklet ''Undergoing chemotherapy' helpful:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/chemotherapy-breast-cancer-b...

Best wishes
Lucy BCC

lowfatlovatt

Thanks tresvan, my first lot of fec-t was on the 4th feb too, they struggled for almost 20mins trying to get the cannula in and said if they struggle next time I'll have to have a picc line but dont know whether I want to let them try with the cannula again
Xxx
TresVan

Hi, I had pic line fitted 5 days before my first lot of Fec-T treatment which was on the 4th Feb.it definitely helps and is easier when having chemo and when they have to draw blood each time to check.levels before each round of chemo. However for some ladies it does come with side effects. I developed a thrombosis in my arm where the pic line is, which basically means that I now have to give myself daily Injections  of innohep (blood thinner). My oncologist and myself discussed the option of it being taken out, but the benefits outway the  small inconvenience of daily Injections.  Hope that helps some xx

Rose65

Thanks Meiyou. For the advise about the dentist..hope all goes well for you on the 20th. I feel the same as you.I am reading as much as I can about what to expect from the chemo..but not really getting it..10days to go!
Jaffacakes

Hayley, I've been given no choice but to go with a PICC. I can see the sense of it and it means that I won't have to struggle with reluctant veins. But it does mean weekly flushing, harder to bath, feeling a bit more like a patient etc. I was going to ask more about it nearer the time. Do you know, it might be worth dropping in and asking one of the earlier monthly threads, as they will have more experience than us newbies. Sue
lowfatlovatt

Hey jaffacakes
I swear to god my kids are nuts, the things they come out with! Andy keeps telling me that he'll do the housework but he doesnt do it right, im very ocd when it comes to cleaning! He also keeps telling me that I need to chill out and rest when I need to, but have such a busy week this week, oncologist appointment tues, megs 11th birthday thurs and ellis has his 1st injections fri.

quick question ladies, PICC line or not as struggled with cannula

Much love
Hayley
Xxx
Jaffacakes

Hi there Alice, I'm also on FEC -well, 3xFEC then 3xTax- and only a few days ahead of you as I started on 6 February. Nausea was by far my worst side effect, and I'm feeling much better now and almost back to normal - lucky, as it's the kids' half term. I listened to a lot of radio, and will equip myself with talking books next time, as you're right, you need something to help the hours to pass. Glad that it's one down. Only five to go. Actually, that still sounds like a lot.
Jaffacakes

Hey Lowfatlovatt, I love the idea of bisexual trainers.... And I'm very impressed with all that housework. No wonder you're shattered. I've barely lifted a finger since my chemo, and intend to stay away from cleaning anything for as long as I can.
alice45

Thank you for that - I don't 'do' Facebook  (I'm sure it would gobble up far too much time!) but will hope to pick up tips from the forum as we go along.

Mariecay

Hi Alice.
It's the worst thing feeling sick all the time, I had it for the first 6 days! Have you seen that we have a Facebook group too? Most of the ladies on there are on FEC, I'm having TAC, but to be honest I think side affects are not far off the same for us all, just different ones affect us differently....I myself it's the nausea and aches but not experienced any fatigue which seems to be very common with FEC.
Best way to join the group is send Rowan a private message with your Facebook details and she will add you.
Marie x
alice45

Hi ladies, I've been lurking since diagnosis in December but now the chemo has started thought it would be good to emerge. Had surgery just before Christmas (successful lump removal and lost the lymph nodes, but all cleared out) and started 6 cycles of FEC last Monday (tumour was grade 3, triple negative, so the only thing to do.) They've given me a portacath as the lymph surgery means they have 50% fewer veins to access. Radio follows. Feeling nauseous 24/7 but haven't been sick. Nights are the worst; you can distract yourself during the day, but just lying awake feeling sick hour after hour is very tedious... Will be interested to compare experiences. Good luck and best wishes to all.

lowfatlovatt

Hey up me ducks
Hows everyone doing? think I might have overdone it today, house bleached from top to bottom this morning, washer on for third time, then shopping with the kids, absolutely shattered now!!!
Have made a mental note to never take noah into foot asylum again, while freya and meg were trying hi tops on his little voice came from the other end of the shop 'mum these trainers have got pink and blue on are they bisexual' no noah theyre unisex 😕
Xxx
Tracy1967

Hi ladies, just popping in from the November newbies thread. You all seem to be very well prepared, stay strong it's all doable. I also have the cannula and have found FEC to be very hard on the veins so if you get offered a picc or Hickman jump at it. I have a small amount of cording on one vein (gone very hard and tight) but now I've finished FEC and had 1 T this is settling back down. T is much easier on the veins and as I only have 2 more chemo sessions to go I'm sticking with the cannula.

Good luck to you all with your next chemo sessions and hope the side effects are minimum if not non existent!

Stay strong and positive
Jaffacakes

Rowan, I agree. I've always thought I was reasonably cool around needles and related procedures, but I've become less robust and more realistic about the challenges (and the pain. ow) following tough cannula experiences post surgery, and, while I don't want a PICC, can really understand that it will make my life easier over the next few months.
Mariecay

Goodness Rowan I didn't realise you'd had all that to contend with on the day of your chemo! As if were not stressed enough on the day! X
Rowan44

yeah they put the first in and it blew straight off ( told them it would but they knew best !! ... ) then they got the second in but I started to react to the epirubicin and got a rash on my arm along the line of the vein so they took that one out andd 5 attempts before they got the last one in just below my little finger knuckle.. one on the wrist hurt so much I was ready to punch someone !! 

really dont want a hickman worried about clots but dont want to go through that each time .. I am not a baby  and needles dont bother me  but heck that was not pleasant !

meiyou

I had a portacath fitted on Thursday, which is a central line that they fit under the skin. Feeling very fortunate although it's a small surgery to put it in and then to remove it at the end of treatment, I'm glad I don't have to have a canula put in each time. Hoping that it will make the treatment a little more comfortable. 

I think the reason is that the chemo drugs I'll be on are particularly hard on the veins. We'll see how it goes.

Hello to all the new peeps on the forum, sorry you're here but, this is such a fantastic site and thread to help us all get through. Good luck.

meiyou

Hello Rose,

Welcome to the group. I start my chemo on the 20th, so I'll just be a little ahead of you. You may already know this but, If you get the chance pop to see the dentist and let them know you'll be starting Chemo soon, you want to try and get all your dental sorted before it starts. I have tried to do lots of pre chemo reading  so I understand what will hapen, but honestly some days I just want to forget all about it.

Enjoy this week, take care. See you on Facebook.

Jaffacakes

7 cannulas, Rowan! That is no fun. You'll be much happier with a Hickman. I'm due a PICC line. Yet another thing to look after, but I was firmly told that my veins wouldn't stay the course. It sounds like you are doing brilliantly well after chemo number one. It just is different for different people, I think. But I feel pretty good now as well, but don't have bags of energy.

My haircut is booked for Wednesday.....
Rowan44

hiya , zarzio is a granulocyte stimulator it encourages your body to produce white cells , chemo units using them alot now to stop neutropenia where the immunity goes too low  its not something the GP does usually but comes from the chemo unit I think 

Day 15 today for me  first course of FEC ( having 3 FEC and then 3 Taxotere ) I feel grand ! back to normal .. whatever that is !!  The tiredness and fatigue have gone I have done a full day without needing a nap .. damn I feel good  Smiley Very Happy but next Friday is now looming .. ulp !Smiley Frustrated

I am going back to hospital on Tuesday to have a hickman line fitted because my veins truly are rubbish ! (7 Cannulas used at first chemo so not going through that again !)  

My hair is shedding a little bit more than normal when I brush it so I went into town and got a short hair cut my daughter went as well and said it looks good not much different than when I normally have it cut as I normally wear it short anyway . We went to a stall in the market and they have wigs and extension peices so I have a blond short number on order and am going to spice it up with some coloured  sections to make it that more me ! 

Love and hugs ladies  

Rowan44

Hazelb27

Hi Rose65

I'm the same as you. 6 FEC-T, surgery plus full node clearance and then rads. I'm only on day 2 after first chemo. A bit queasy today but no sickness so that's a bonus!

Going to try and follow the advice of you guys and get out and about if I can. Been indoors for 2 days now so time to venture out I think.

Take care brave ladies

Hazel x
rustywoof

yes I think so! I had surgery b4 and had a seroma which was drained on monday before chemo hence these injection to keep of any infection.
Jaffacakes

Rusty, never heard of zarzio... Sounds interesting. Antibiotics? Immunity boosters? I feel left out as my doctor hasn't mentioned them....
Jaffacakes

Hey there Hayley, I'm guessing you're starting half term this week which means your madhouse is unlikely to calm down any time soon!

I'm in a crabby mood today; slept badly because of the storm and now I'm definitely not nice to know. And my eldest has a cold so I'm endlessly reminding him to wash his hands - he bears it well, but it makes for boring interactions.. Second chemo a week on Thursday for me. I hope your second round is less eventful than your first.

Jaffacakes

Ooh. Same as me, but I did the surgery already (two lots goddammit) chemo now, rads to come...
Rose65

Hi Mariecay
Having Fec -T 6 cycles , 1 every three wks..then surgery and rads...x
rustywoof

Well had a walk was actually sunny briefly passed on the sainsburys and bought the nandos chicken home went down well...Feeling iffy but also dealing with period pains tooo lucky me hey! I wondered if anyone has taken these injections called zarzio? I got to start tommorrow?

Rusty

lowfatlovatt

Anyone want a husband and 4 kids free of charge, will even deliver?! I LIVE IN A MAD HOUSE!!!
Cant believe a week on tuesday and I'll be having my second lot of chemo, its going faster than I thought it would.
How are you all doing me ducks
Love
Hayley
xxx
Jaffacakes

I physically couldn't get out the house for 3 days as so unwell, but the moment I could stand up for more than a minute at a time I went for a walk and felt much better. I try very hard to get out every day and feel more resilient as a result (mind you, my ears were frozen by the time I got back this morning). But my advice is don't combine an outing with Sainsburys unless you're really confident you can do it/ are very keen to go to Sainsburys (!). You don't quite know when your energy will desert you and it would be a pain t get there, get round the shop, then collapse at be till.... But good luck! And Nandos sounds good..
rustywoof

Hi again feeling a bit better now had a dinner last night but still bit of icky tummy if you know what I mean...I just made a smoothie hoping thats ok....have you guys been out? I know its not the best but feel some air would do me good, and stop by sainsburys too? Maybe pick up a nandos takeaway later? what do ya think Im im running before walking here??

Rusty xx

Jaffacakes

Hi Hazel, I'm now day 8 post my first FEC. If you're doing ok, there's no reason why it shouldn't continue ok; it seems to vary so much from person to person. For me the nausea has been the worst thing, but it's passed for now and I intend to sit in my oncologist's office next week until I'm promised more drugs!
Hazelb27

Thanks Rowan44. Glad you're doing ok in the FEC. I'm only on day 1 and if it continues like this I'll be quite happy (wishful thinking I know....)

Thanks to Lucy too for the warm welcome.

Hazel x
Rowan44

Hello Hazelb sorry you are in the situation to be here but glad you have joined in the forum , hope your first FEC wasnt too traumatic and  you are feeling ok at present 

I am 15 days in now  had my first FEC on 31st Jan so almost ready for the second dose now , I am doing ok  sometimes get a bit tired and have a huge spot on my cheek lol feel like a teenager again !

Rustywoof I got your message now and have sent you a friend request on facebook I can add you to the facebook group when you accept  ( group settings set to secret now so that posts dont show publicly so this seems the best way of getting you in ) 

Gill aka Rowan44

Lucy_BCC

Hi Hazel and welcome to the BCC forums
In addition to the support you have here please feel free to call our helpliners for practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturday 10-2

You may find the following link to the treatments support and information from BCC helpful:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Take care
Lucy BCC