Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo in February 2014?

Mariecay

Re: Starting Chemo in February 2014?

You will feel much better once it's done jonsi x
Jonsi79

Day 19 after first dose of AC - hair everywhere!!!!! Hopefully my hairdresser calling to shave it for me asap!
Jaffacakes

Good luck today, HowieJ. I'm also doing FEC-T, but with a different cancer type (ER+). I'm looking forward (!?) to my next round this Thursday.
Howiej01

Thanks Rowan great advice about the drinking lots and i will go and get my gloves out now so i don't forget them.
x

Rowan44

Hi Howiej01
Welcome and sorry you find yourself here . My veins were a nightmare on first appointment but I knew they were not good as I had IV antibiotics at Christmas and struggled . The chemo unit used a hot pad on my hand and arm but it still didn't raise them any better they also recommended having gloves on to keep hands warm prior to coming to the appointment ..Hickman line inserted in between my first and second course so the second session was a breeze
Good luck for today make sure they give you plenty of anti sickness medications and drink plenty before and after the chemo to flush it through cc
June_BCC

Hello Howiej01

Welcome to the forums, I’m so pleased that you are finding the forums helpful.

Whilst waiting for replies to your post maybe you would like to give our free helpline a call where the staff can offer practical information as well as emotional support.  The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Howiej01

Starting Chemo in February 2014?

Hello just wanted to enter into this fabulous group.  I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer on the 31st Jan this year and a week later told i had Triple Negative Cancer which is a rarer form (only 15% of women with breast cancer get TN).  I am 44 years of age with a wonderul supportive husband and a 14 year old who always makes me laugh and brings a smile to my face.  I start my first lot of Chemo this afternoon which is FEC-T which i was told was the international standard??  I am having 6 cycles every 3 weeks.  I stayed up until 1am last night reading through all these threads for February and just want to say thank you as you have all made me feel so strong for today.  

It was also interesting to hear about the troubles that people have had with finding veins and canular, just to share that one of the many nurses i saw advised me to come to hospital with a hot water bottle and have it resting on my arm prior to the canular going in?  Not sure if it works but can let you know later?

Will update you on how i am feeling later.

Thanks xx

Rowan44

Yay tfitz glad you have found her 🙂 perhaps worth sending her a personal message as well 

Lol Lowfatlovatt your posts are hilarious  thanks for sharing and keeping us laughing and distracting us from the side effects 🙂 

My hair is almost gone think I need to shave it soon , my fella came over this weekend to look after me I was hugging him and when I moved back he had all my hair stuck  on his cheek dont think he will be shaving his head to join me 

I had a bad day yesterday but realised this morning that I hadn't been taking the steroids properly !! Only half the dose ... Does chemo affect concentration ??? Note to self check the labels ! Better today on correct dose .. Go figure ! 

Rowan44

lowfatlovatt

Hey up me ducks
Hows everyone doing?
Welcome to all the other lovely ladies, im sorry youve had to join us!
Sue123, why on earth would you think I am a star?
Bit of a weird weekend in the lovatt household, ive lost an awful lot of hair over the last 2-3 days and while I have been a bit emotional about it hasnt bothered me as much as I had worried it would, so not bothering with the cold cap again. Freya's been shopping with her mates and brought me some funky scarves (she says ive got to wear a scarf and then put a baseball cap on at an angle and then I'll look cool). Meg has spent more of the weekend on her hands rather than her feet as she practices her new gymnastics routine and noah has decided that he doesnt like that we called the baby ellis so insists on calling him woody out of toy story. Andy says that he's going to shave his head, ive told him if he does its divorce cuz he'll look sloth out the gooines 😀
Hope everyone is doing well
Love and hugs
Hayley
Xxx
tfitz

I have found her & posted. xxx

tfitz

Thank you Rowan44! 

My husband had to have words with the PALS people at the hospital to bring some of my appointments forward so I was seen before January. Disgusted with the hospital really. Cancer doesn't take a holiday 🙂

I am starting with 3 cycles of FEC-T followed by 3 cycles of a different one (sorry, paperwork is downstairs, PC upstairs!). Considering the consultant said I was pretty much cured, I was surprised by the number of cycles.

Luckily I was made redundant a couple of weeks ago so I don't have to worry about work. (Sense of humour still intact)!

Will have a look on the January board. Being new to all of this, I'm still finding my way around. xx

Rowan44

One of the ladies in the January group is Diabetic tfitz I have asked if she can post on here and make contact with you
😄
Rowan44

Hello tfitz welcome to the thread and sorry that you find yourself here  , hope we can help and support you I had my mastectomy and ANC on the 3rd of December started my FEC-T course of 6 on the 31st January ,I had terrible time at Christmas with cellulitis and seroma and no breast surgeons about at one point the general surgeon wanted to open up my wound !! I didn't let him !! So I am with you on how difficult things can be during the holidays

I am not sure any of us here have diabetes , it might  be worth dropping in on a few of the earlier monthly threads and asking round to see if anyone who has already come through chemo is diabetic and also on the main Chemotherapy board if you haven't already post a thread there to see if anyone there can help ? I am sure there will be someone out there who has gone through this with similar. I have asked on the November facebook group if there is anyone there with diabetes for you and if there is could they make contact with you on here

Do you know what regimen of chemo that you will be having ?

I am sure the chemo nurses will also be able to support you with the diabetes as well , its a lot to take in just having diabetes let alone  ,sending  love and hugs  🙂

Rowan44

Lucy_BCC

Hi tfitz, welcome to the BCC forums

Please feel free to call our helpliners to talk through your queries about diabetes and treatments, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2 on 0808 800 6000. Our team are on hand with practical and emotional support.

Take care
Lucy BCC

Jaffacakes

Hi Joody, you're doing it the other way round from me as I've had all my surgery already. The anti sickness drugs available now are fantastic. Particular favourites seem to be ondansetron and apprepitant (Emend). I had ondansetron and domperidone first time round, but have asked for Emend in future as I was really sick - I got it worse than most people it seems. One of the things seems to be to make sure you don't wait till you're sick to take the drugs.
tfitz

I was diagnosed 5th November last year. My first op date was the week before my 50th birthday. During the pre-op two days before they discovered that I was also diabetic. My original op was cancelled followed by a very panicked visit to my GP. I left the surgery with hope, a blood sugar testing unit & enough tablets to shake, rattle & roll my way to the New Year! I didn't have the luxury of trying to control the diabetes with diet over 6 months so I had to go cold turkey on the sugary foods.When I finally had my op on 9th December my blood sugar had gone from 20 to roughly 12 which meant it was safe to operate. As it was a Monday, I had to be at the hospital very early so that I could have the contrast injection which would normally have been done the day before. The diabetes meant that my op was first on the afternoon list, just in case there were any complications. Sailed through it although the drive home was slightly uncomfortable. My husband was great on the bumpy roads but didn't give much thought to the roundabouts or corners!

The biggest problem was getting to see a consultant to get the pathology results two weeks later. Christmas is a really bad time to try & get to see anyone. Had an appointment for Christmas Eve but it turned out there were no consultants, only nurses, who were unable to discuss anything useful. Finally, after a tense week, I got to see a consultant on New Years Eve. The lump was successfully removed but one of the sentinel nodes came back as cancerous. Another op scheduled for 9th Jan 14 but this was postponed until the 20th. They removed 21 lymph nodes which all came back clear (hurrah).

I am starting chemo on Tuesday. I have already had my hair cut short with a great response from all my friends. Wig almost organised. Seeing the chemo nurse on Monday so I shall ask about the cold cap. I'm told sucking crushed ice during the chemo can help reduce the mouth ulcers too.

Has anyone else having chemo & living with diabetes got any tips for getting through this? I'm pretty sure my blood sugar will go haywire but I'm so new to the diabetes, knowing what to expect would be helpful. Thanks x
Joodymoody

Hi jaffacakes
I'm having the chemo, then around 6 weeks after it has finished, I will be having a mastectomy so that's most of my year mapped out.
Sorry to hear you have been sick. Do the anti sickness drugs work ? x
Mariecay

Hi deb
I have a 13 yr old son, who I'm extremely close to and he has found it very difficult. I found out he was spending a lot of time googling breast cancer which really concerned me so I decided the best approach was honesty throughout. Chemo was a massive scare for him but we had a long chat about how ill I may get and why I needed to be ill. This helped. I had my first lot of TAC 2 weeks ago and although the side affects were awful he coped really well. His next hurdle was me losing my hair. He was worried about how I would feel, how he would feel and how everyone would react. So we sat down and made a plan. First I would go short, then once I stated to shed I would shave it down...I've done this today....the build up and emotional turmoil of it shedding was far worse than the shaving! Shaving it was a relief. Watching it fall was very distressing.
Children can be a great support and they give you the strength to carry on, even on the most difficult days.
Congrats on the grandchild too, I have 2 and they are just amazing.
Marie x
alice45

Hi Rustywoof, I'm London based too, but am retired so have the luxury of turning into a recluse on week 2 when the infection risk is highest. I go to and from hospital by tube, though, but definitely not in the rush hour. And yes, plenty of hand gel and scarf ready to pull up! Not sure I'd be so happy with a bus - unless it was half empty and you could choose a remote seat - it seems easier to keep away from suspiciously snuffly passengers on the tube...

Lovely day for gardening today - I pruned the roses!

Rowan44

Hi Deb and Sue welcome to the thread , sorry that you find yourselves here but we are all here to help and support each other I started FEC-T course of 6 on 31st of Jan had my second course yesterday , I have a Hickman line is as my veins were rubbish on the first course we got through 7 cannulas one way or another !  dont feel to bad today was a little nauseaous last night but better today , tired eating small and frequent and  trying to remember what medications to take when !!  

If you happen to use Facebook  and wish to we have set up a group there secret group so only members can see posts and comments  personal message me here if you want to be added  and of course there is no obligation and we all continue to post here as well 

Rustywoof I dont work  as I come into contact with sick people with infections so will be off till the summer !! not sure I would be happy risking public transport , but I guess take plenty of hand gel where ever you go and possibly wear scarf over your face to pull up if folks coughing and sneezing around you !!

Rowan44

rustywoof

Hi anyone going to work while on treatment? Do you drive or take public transport? I live in London and now 10 days since first chemo, I walk local but was told my usual 4 mile walks are out for now....I wanna get out and about but need to take a bus just wondered what others are doing....

today is so nice I did a bit of garden clearing....

Jaffacakes

Yes, they looked very dubiously at my veins and said they'd only try the cannula once. Chemo is clearly not good for the veins. The annoying thing is that I love my relaxing baths, but have only recently been allowed these again post surgery and nw it's going to be all complicated again. Still, I'm sure I can cope; there have been worse indignities.
Deb28

Hi Jaffacakes, thanks for the response.Yes Im loving my short hair and now wondering why I never did it years ago. What's a PICC line? Is it so you don't need to keep having the cannula inserted?
Jaffacakes

Hi Sue and Deb, I'm two weeks post my first FEC and feeling good (first week definitely dodgy). Hair now cut short and preparing for it to shed everywhere. But the children have been complimentary about the short hair and are (I hope) prepared for the baldness. And the dog doesn't care. I'm considering following Lowfatlovatt's example and going shopping for new kitchen stuff, but in the meantime I'm wondering how tricky a PICC line will be clothes-wise - Im guessing tight sleeves will be tricky, and short sleeves means that I and everyone else gets a continual reminder. Oh well.
Jo_BCC

Hi Deb,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, you've come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

While you are waiting for replies, I have put for you below links to some of BCC's publications you might find helpful. Also our helpline team are just a free phone call away, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-you-diagnosis...

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-your-child-s-...

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/talking-your-children-about...

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Deb28

Hi, I'm new to this site. I was diagnosed on Dec 30th after a small lesion was found purely by chance as I was having breast cysts drained in November for the third year running. One mri later and three other lesions were found in the same breast and so on Jan 28th, I had a mastectomy and strattice/implant reconstruction..have to say that the consultant has done an amazing job and now less than four weeks later, I'm feeling pretty much back to normal, whatever normal is! I had my results last monday and I actually had three lesions in total, one @ 2.5mm grade 2, one @ 5mm grade 2 and one @ 6mm grade 1.I had lymph nodes removed and a tiny trace was found in the sentinel lymph node but all other 17 out of 18 removed were clear and consultant said this is excellent news as it hasn't spread...needless to say it didn't feel so excellent when he said I still had to have 6 x fec-d chemo as a precauction and then 5yrs Tamoxifen. I've been fairly positive since diagnosis and pretty much just 'got on with it' ..even had my hair cut short in preparaton for my wig fitting monday as was advised to by a friend who has been through the same.She said it's much easier to cope with once it starts falling out than if my hair was still long.

I still feel that I just want to get on with things now and am seeing my oncologist next tuesday and am guessing that my first treatment will be the following week. I am telling myself that it's only six sessions and it'll soon be over and am even prepared for losing my hair by telling myself it'll soon grow back and a few months of nastiness is nothing compared to the rest of my life (Im 44)..I also have the birth of my first grandchild to look forward to as my eldest daughter is due in August so this is my incentive to get through it. I also have a 12yr old daughter and unfortunately she's the one I'm worried with suffer the most as she'll see me at my worst. I know it's not going to be a great few months but determined to get through it as best I can and any helpful advice would be much appreciated. Thanks all xx

Sue123

Hi all, I am Sue and I am 59 and diagnosed in December. I had my second chemo on Tuesday. I am TNBC and on E-CMF chemo. I did ask my oncologist why not the Taxol/ FEC and he replied that my benefits were small and the stronger chemo not necessary. I did try to argue but left him feeling I had no choice really, any thoughts on this?

I am managing OK, taking the sickness tablets and steroids and managing to eat little and often and drinking water OK. 

I do love hearing about your family lowfatlovett and think you are a star!

My hair is almost all gone now, has been falling out for a week or two so hacked it with the kitchen scissors yesterday as it is EVERYWHERE!!

Indigestion is quite bad and have a dry tickly thraoty cough which I am assured by my onc is not cancer rising into my throat, yes the imagination is horrible at times. I have 4 adult kids aged between 27 and 35 and they have been great but feel they have had enough of mum's moaning and I am home alone this evening and watching telly in bed. Getting a bit bored but really too knackered to do much. I plan a little walk for tomorrow.

Anyway enough of me, I just wanted to get to know you all a bit and give and get support through this strange and scary journey, Sue x

alice45

Sorry, Kat, no - just nausea from the chemo! But if they've put your portacath where they put mine (immediately under the collarbone) that's a long way to the bottom of the ribs. As far as I understand it, the catheter leading from the portacath goes into a vein close to the heart, so much further up the body. Perhaps it's nervous indigestion in anticipation of the chemo - and who could blame you for that!

Jaffacakes

Thanks, Penny. Always cheery to hear stories of the chemo successfully blasting tumours. It feels quite odd to me, having already had the mastectomy, to know that I will have no way of telling how effectively the chemo has worked for me.
Kat145

Hi Alice, have you had any pain like indigestion? I keep getting pains just under my rib cage.
alice45

Hi Kat, I have a portacath too (only one other lady in this Feb group as far as I know) and have found that now the wound has healed and bruising dispersed I hardly notice it. It's just this strange hard little lump that you keep 'rediscovering'... But I'd rather live with a foreign body than endure the struggle to find a vein!

Good luck on the 26th. If you look at the general Chemotherapy thread (rather than this monthly one) you'll find all sorts of useful information under 'top tips'.

Penny47

Hi Feb Folks - just peeking over from May Moonbeams. (Our thread was started by a Feb Valentine from last year!) I think getting hair cut short makes good sense even if it's going to fall out anyhow.  Your scalp will thank you for it when the time comes!  Also it helps prepare you for a lighter head, and it signals to your family and friends that you are changing your hairstyle.  (!)

I was told about all the recommended foods in this forum and I suppose you will each find what works for you. I became particularly fond of a ginger and elderflower mix you can get at the food stores which are in the JL partnership.  Now I find it too sweet and I make my own from elderflower drinks in the big bottles and add good ginger ale to taste.  Great on ice.  And I also learned to make ginger tea and to add grated ginger in a small tea sieve and let it mash for a few minutes.  Really strong but just what you need.  

I didn't have the metallic taste others get with taxotere (sessions 4-6 with me) but I did lose most of my sense of smell.  Taste wasn;t so bad but the two are so linked it was hard to tell, and it was as if I was getting some information through my nose but not the complete picture.  This turned me into a reluctant cook. Offers of cooked meals by family and friends were eagerly accepted!.  I did get most of the ole olfactory sense back within three weeks of my last cycle but it has been up and down since.  Another thing; some NSAIDs can affect my sense of smell and taste and that figured in with the whole mix as I had to take them when I had tax cause of the leg and hip pains which came and went but weren't too bad. 

I wish you all well- this is some journey we are on but let me tell you that I had neo-adjuvent chemo (before the op) and it smashed my tumour (which was huge but comparatively slow-growing) to smithereens.  The biggest malignant bit the path people could find was 6mm.  Not the result I'd hoped for; the pre-cancer in back of it had to come out so I had Mx instead of the WLE I wanted, but it is such a relief knowing how effective the treatment was.  I hope this gives you hope especially those of you who have had the mx already.  Good luck!

kiwijan

Hi Jonsi - my hair started falling out around the 16th day of my second session.  And you can look forward to ALL hair falling out - i.e. pubic, under arms, body - defo saves on waxing/shaving!  I didn't lose all my eyebrows/eyelashes but they did thin out.  Daktarin is good for mouth ulcers and sore tongue too.  I wore the sea bands too - anything to stop feeling sick! 

Hope you're having a good day!

Jan

Jaffacakes

I've just had my hair cut short, Lowfatlovatt. An odd conversation with the hairdresser about styles when I was just thinking that it's all about to fall out anyway. Glad you got the birthday sorted; I find three birthday parties a year quite full on, so four will definitely keep you busy!
Jaffacakes

Hi Judy, welcome to the thread. I had a lumpectomy and then mastectomy (plus node clearnce/ reconstruction) because no clear margins. Will you have a further op or is it just being blasted by the chemo now? I've avoided the cold cap but know lots of people who have been really pleased they used it. My second round of FEC is 27 feb, so just before you. I'm armed with extra anti sickness this time round as I was poorly first time.
Jaffacakes

I enjoyed the introduction of Jehovah, Rowan! (And I had to write that very very carefully to avoid all sorts of odd corruptions).
Rowan44

Helping us! ! Crickey I should write this stuff when I am awake !!!

Goes back to sleep
Rowan44

Lol just read that back blinking auto correct does it again !!!

November group who have joined us !!! Not Jehovah !!
Slaps phone !!

Rowan44 duh
Rowan44

Hello to Kat145 and Joodymoody sorry you both in the situation to find yourselves hear but glad you have come to the thread too
I am on FEC-T for 6 course got my second one today awake now cos I had a Hickman line put in this week and it's a bit bruised . I had my first course 31st Jam and was really worried about it all but it wasn't that bad and I think if you can keep on top of the sickness it's very manageable make sure you ask for either Emend or Ondansetron to help with this is my main tip

We have a Facebook group up and running if any of you are interested message me and I will add you if you want to join great group of ladies and we have some members who are from the November group Jehovah are helping bus as they are that bit ahead of us .
Love and hugs to all
Rowan44 xx

Joodymoody

Hi to everyone
My name is Judy, I'm 43 and I live in east London.
I'm starting my chemotherapy next week on Friday 28th Feb so I would love to join you other ladies on our chemotherapy journey.
I have grade 3 IDC with surrounding DCIS and lymph node involvement.
I've had two ops with no clear margins and axillary node clearance.
I will be having 3 cycles of FEC 3 weekly, then 9 weekly cycles of taxol.
And I am very determined to use the cold cap along the way x
lowfatlovatt

Hey up me ducks
Well after shopping (again!!) yesterday and megs 11th birthday today im done in! Took andy 2 and half hours from when he got in from work to notice the new kitchen stuff, daft sod even made himself a brew with the new kettle an hour before he realised - pffffft men 😕
Been getting a bit emotional as my hair has started to fall out, not sure if it is a lot or just seems like a lot because my hair is long and thick
Hope everyones ok
Love and hugs
Hayley
Xxx
Kat145

Am actually looking forward to getting it cut now and being in control for a short while will be good. I was adamant that I would have the cold cap when I first found out but knowing I will be able to wear a wig or hats makes me think that actually might not be so bad. Have got a fantastic bf and family that have been the best since we found out so I think that helps too and we laugh about it!!!!! May have some more questions soon!! Thanks again xx
Jonsi79

No I didn't do the cold cap. I don't like being cold and heard that it would add to the time I'd have to be in the chemo unit!! I had below the shoulder long blonde hair, so I've cut it in two stages - to a bob for a bit and then short short before I started treatment!! Quite strange but definitely the best thing to do. I feel like I'm in control, for a bit anyway!! But its a personal choice and only you can make it really.
Feel free to ask me anything anytime xxx
Kat145

Hi Jonsi79. I will have to get used to drinking more as I don't usually have enough!!! I love hula hoops so am quite happy to live on those!!!! There must be an opportunity to make money with them over their crisps!!!!! Did you have the cold cap or didn't bother? All a bit daunting but loss of pubic hair will be good!!! Ha ha get fed up with waxing!!!!! Thanks forvtakingbtime to reply xx
Kat145

Hi jaffacakes thank you so much for your reply. I tried a cup of ginger tea the other day and it was horrible!! Tasted like dishwater!!! I'm ok with ginger biscuits though!!!! I am getting my hair chopped on Monday along with a trip to the wig shop at harrods with my hairdresser (no I'm not rich it's just been recommended to my by my bcn!!! My bf thinks I will look like Halle Berry!! I keep thinking I should try the cold cap but o sure it would prevent hair loss to just slowit down. Not keen on hats or headscarves but I'm sure I will give it a go!!!! Absolutely petrified of what to expect and it's all happened so quick I think I still can't quite get that it's me with cancer!!!!!!!
Jonsi79

Hi Jan,

So do you mean 16th day after first dose/2nd day after second dose?

I've had a mastectomy. As aggressive as it was to hear from my consultant that I would have to have one, hopefully will stop me from a recurrence!!!!
Taking the drugs no matter what!!
xxx
Jonsi79

Hi Kat. I'm also on 4 AC and 4 Taxol, once every fortnight. Ive had 2 AC doses already and so far so good. I've stuck to plain simple foods for the first couple of days after treatment. Also been drinking lots and lots of water and lemon and ginger tea which seems to help. Another tip I've had is hula hoops! I've also been wearing travel sickness bands! More for psychological reasons I think!!! Ha!!
I'm day 15 after 1st dose and day 1 of dose 2 and so far my head hair is still in!! I have noticed thinning of my pubic hair down below though!!!
Once you've had your first one you'll know then what to expect and see how you feel!
xxx
Jaffacakes

Lowfatlovatt, lime green sound good. I'm impressed that you have the energy. Has Andy noticed yet?
Jaffacakes

Hi there Kat, I'm on FEC-T, but I know others on your regime who I'm sure will be along to say hello. I've only had one round, so I'm really no expert, but advice from others has included stocking up on ginger (I like ginger tea, but there are also ginger pills and ginger biscuits) to help with nausea. And everyone says to drink lots and lots of water before and after - helps to flush it all through. Take all the anti sickness pills you're given, and ask for more if you need them. My GP was good at giving a prescription for these over the phone. I've also found a soft toothbrush and lots of teeth cleaning plus cordasol mouthwash helpful for mouth ulcers. And I've also just had my hair chopped off. I rather like it, although I am very surprised when I look in the mirror. At you going to get headscarves/ a wig etc?
Kat145

Hi am starting my chemo on 26 feb and will be 8 cycles of AC and taxol. Is anyone else on this cocktail and if so and advice? Am petrified os losing my hair so getting it all chopped off on Monday but any other advice on things to buy to prepare me for any side effects will be gratefully received. Also have had a portocath fitted but finding it rather uncomfortable. Thank you so much xx