1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo in February 2014?

Caz13

Re: Starting Chemo in February 2014?

Morning ladies. Thank you for that Yankee. I've already put on a little weight so that doesn't bode well for the future 🙂 It's nice to hear from someone from 'the other side!' It reminds me there will hope fully be life after all of this.
I hope you are feeling a bit better today Bigpumpkin. I hope we hear from lowfatlovatt today am quite worried about her 😞
I've been suffering with a horrible sore throat for a couple of weeks. this got worse over the weekend and I developed chesty cough. My temperature was ok so I have avoided out of hours. I couldn't swallow this morning so I rang the unit. They have asked me to pop in this afternoon to get my bloods done. In some respect I hope they find something ( minor) as I am worried its linked to the cancer rather than chemo. I'm such a worrier at the best of times.
Well I hope you all have a lovely day. Big hugs xxx
Mariecay

Hi all, hope your all well. My oncologist classes chemotherapy day as day 1 if that helps.
I know what you mean Gill about it looming closer, I'm sure soon enough I'm gonna have to be dragged there!
Anybody heard from lowfatlovatt? Hope she's ok!
Marie x
Yankee

Just popping in from the 2013 Valentines to really cheer up all you Ladies who thought you might be losing weight on  your Chemo!  I lost 2 1/2 stone (mostly on the T part of FEC-T) and was absolutely over the moon about it.  Then I started on  my 5 year programme of aromabase inhibitors (Letrozole in my case) and have gained back every bleeding ounce, plus a couple more pounds for good luck!!!  This wonderful disease really doesn't seem to have much good attached.  My hair however is doing well (9 months after chemo).  It used to be chestnut brown and is now nearly black, but thick and wavy.  Much love to you all and hope things go as easily as can be expected.  XXXX

Bigpumpkin

Hello all, yeah I agree day 1 is the day you get the chemo- so its Fec 2 day 3. Had bad day with nausea. Presume its because I didnt take antisickness through night. Ringing surgery tomorrow for ondansetron. But yeah eating but got that feeling there in chest.
Know the feeling about assosiated sickness, god if I think of that bloody cold cap ugh 😞 . Good luck honey for your next session this week. Sorry not addressing you all by names but havnt got the mojo at the min. And if one more person in my family says "oh well at least your not as bad as last time" ie I havnt actually been sick !! Wellll..... Love to lowfatlovat too hope she is ok xxx wishing everyone a good night sleep
Rowan44

I am on 3x FEC and 3xTAX next dose is this Friday number 3!! I can feel myself getting anxious as it approaches time seems to be flying tho it's the half way point !
alice45

FEC x6 for me. 😞
Rowan44

Hi all ,
Bigpumpkin I always call chemo day day 1 so today would be day 2 but that is just me not sure what others do lol
I have a second wig and wore that today with no headache but I fitted the stocking thing a bit more carefully than last time so maybe that helped

Alice what type of chemo are you on ? sorry to hear you had to go in but glad they didnt keep you

Havent heard from lowfatlovatt hope she is ok and escapes from hospital soon

Rowan 🙂
Jaffacakes

Bigpumpkin, funnily enough I've been confused about that too! I think day 1 is the actual day of chemo, so your post is day 2, FEC2.
I'm ignoring my wig, so the dog hasn't had the chance to take a view, but wearing a different scarf everyday. Much easier and less fuss than I thought they would be.
Caz13

Hi ladies
So glad you are coping so far rustywoof and Bigpumpkin. Just reading about your nausea brings it all back. Dreading the next! It's funny what your head does to you- I was on the phone to the chemotherapy department the other day and the nurse who administered my chemo answered. Honestly my tummy turned over just hearing her voice. Poor woman I had to get off the phone as quick as I could! So sorry you have had that scare Alice. You must have been very worried. Hope you are feeling better.
Speaking of worried I'm worried about lowfatlovatt. Has anyone heard since she went into hospital? I've been thinking about her all day.
Think your cats are of the same frame of mind as my dog Alice lol. I wore my wig for the first time yesterday in public when I went outside to talk to my daughters driving instructor. He never fell about and said look at the clip of you so that's got to be positive lol. However Seamus (the dog) was bouncing around me barking the whole time so he nearly gave the game away 😉 I haven't lost a hair yet. I suppose the joys of that will be this week xxx
alice45

Just returned from a visit to hospital with (unfounded, thank goodness) fears of neutrapenia. Had a ghastly night last night: awake almost all the time with rigours, shivering, crawling up the arms and legs, etc and temperature getting to the danger point of 37.5. Eventually phoned oncology ward and they said come in. Blood test proved neutraphils were OK and unknown but very nice oncologist checked me over and said no infections in chest or portacath - just very severe reactions to chemo from Monday. Quite different from previous session, where I was pretty OK for the first 8 days, not falling apart after just 5! Perhaps it will be different ever time? Doesn't allow you to plan at all, does it?! At least I know not to panic next time.

Only good thing to come out of the trip is that oncologist gave me a prescription for ondansetron at long last (though I had to visit 3 pharmacies before I could get it). Now I just want it to work. And preferably without side effects such as spots!             

PS my cats have examined my wig on its stand - and freaked out!        

rustywoof

Hi i found the same too, had 2nd fec on wed no vomiting but the nausea was worse i think..like you taking the meds and eating ..but feeling is right there in my chest.......hoping it will go by tomorrow downing ginger beer  helps.....good luck rusty

Bigpumpkin

Made it through Fec 2 yesterday, quick question would today be Day 2 of Fec 2 or Day 1 of Fec 2? Apologies if this sounds a daft question x !
Emend stopped me from being sick but I still had bad nausea, anyway bad night over, feeling a little better, keeping up with all anti-sickness meds to the dot. Hope you are all feeling well.
Glad I dropped in to say hello, still laughing at the though of Caz's dog growling at her wig.
Thanks for the pre chemo wishes Rowan, hope you sort your wig problem out soon xx
Rowan44

LOL Caz123 I have part shares in a lab its my daughter's so he comes over when she is here with me , he hasnt seen me since I lost my hair so goodness knows how he will react to me in a wig 🙂
Jaffacakes

Really good luck, Bigpumpkin! I think chemo nurses are used to tears; I hope yours are kind. It takes a lot of resolve to go back in that room.
Bigpumpkin

Thank you for your good luck wishes for this morning. Its such a shame now as all my bravado and kick ass feelings have deserted me and Im trying to hold it together, wondering if anyone has actually cried through the session. Ok well Im going to pull myself together, drink my water and get on with it xxx take care all, hopefully chat soon x
Caz13

Good luck for today Bigpumpkin. Hope the extra meds work wonders xxx
Caz13

Hi Rowan
Yes my wig gives me a headache too. I've been trying to stretch it without success. Can't decide if mine looks ok or makes me look like an ageing rocker! The kids think it looks ok but one of the dogs follows me round barking and growling at me when I wear it. Think he's trying to tell me something 😉
Xxx
Rowan44

Good luck with the chemo tomorrow Bigpumpkin  hope all goes well for you I am a week ahead of you and back to normal on FEC course 2  🙂 

My partner goes skiing this weekend  for a week  , going to miss him not being about  he will be back just after I have had number 3 dose ( assuming all is well at pre chemo assessment ) tough month this month as he is away the weekend after as well  things we had planned to do together before all this happened 

I have been trying to wear my wig when the kids are about but its giving me a headache when I wear it  I think I need to nip to the salon at the chemo unit to have it refitted ! anyone else find they get headaches when they wear the wig ? 

just had a pancakes with my kids , my son made the batter it was lovely  🙂  will be moaning later when I get on the scales ! 

Rowan 

Bigpumpkin

Morning all, thank you for all your advice on hair loss, I gave up waiting for legs etc to fall and sorted things myself ( thought that may have been a plus side to this Chemo ! ) as for my head hair, I am trying the cold cap and am on a weekly hair wash too although it seems to be shedding a bit more each day now (infact I can see a hair perched on my shoulder from the corner of my eye, trying to slope off un-noticed no doubt knowing Im trying my harderst to keep my locks!!! ) its Chemo day again tomorrow so .......
I hope that you will be home soon lowfatlovatt, sorry to hear you are in Hospital x x
Thank you for making me laugh Marie- kids eh? Who'd have em ? My 21 year old does all he can to help out. He emptied the dust out of the hoover last week- trouble was, he also emptied the filter into the bin, which the bin man promply came and took it all away. Now I await a new filter from Amazon !! And he has a meeting next week to start up his own business ? hmmm!!
As I mention Fec 2 tomorrow and having Emend so fingers crossed no vomiting . Good luck to anyone else who is having their Chemo too xxx
alice45

So glad you're feeling better, Mariecay. Yes, teenage spots are back - an enormous one on my forehead is just subsiding...

I washed my hair for the first time for a week last night and vast amounts came out, as expected. But am pleased to say that the shedding seems to be absolutely even and coverage, although thin, is still complete. Until the wind blows, I guess... So clippers postponed for another few days.

Jaffacakes

Oh that really made me laugh, Marie. So funny!
Jaffacakes

Lowfatlovatt, I'm really really sorry to hear that and will be thinking of you. And I'll be thinking of the doctors too, of course, who I bet will be more careful what they say to you this time round! Do you have any idea how long you will be there?
Mariecay

I forgot..I wanted to share this with you to give you a bit of a giggle. My 13yr old sons friend came round the other day and walked in the room and said "hi Marie, how are you feeling? I see you've now lost all your hair" with the best face of panic I could muster (given how crappy I felt that day) I looked at my other half and said "what? What's he saying? I've lost all my hair? Have I really, please tell me he's lying" my other half turned from me looked at him with stern eyes and said "cheers for that joe, we've covered all the mirrors so she couldn't see, but seems that was a pointless task now"
Obviously the boy looked horrified and my son rolled his eyes and said "joe, ignore them, there idiots!"
Just to show that no harm came to any child during this process of our amusement we were all in fits of laughter afterwards!
Mariecay

Hi everyone, especially the new ladies x
Cycle 2 day 7 of TAC
Really sorry for my depressing post a few days ago, I hit rock bottom and I'm sorry I plonked that on your already very heavy shoulders!
I'm pleased to say though as of yesterday things started to get better and I'm really starting to feel like me again, apart from the slight nausea that's seems to just want to take residence!
Jaffacakes...are you sure were not on the same chemo? We seem to be following the exact same reactions at the same sort of times! I read your posts and feel like your talking about me! Although I really don't like hearing about another human being struggling, it really does help to to read your posts as I don't feel as alone and isolated.
With regards to hair, I shaved mine day 15 after the first cycle due to 2 very large and noticeable bald patches! I felt so much better when I'd done it too as it was awful watching it shed and waiting...yes the waiting for it to go was horrid!
I shaved my legs and underarms 3 weeks ago and still nothing 🙂 my pubic hair I'm sure will be gone within the next week or so 🙂

I get to see my oncologist before each cycle of chemo...on my last visit to the breast clinic my BCN in so many words told me not to bother her as chemo is not her field of expertise so instead speak to the chemo unit! To be fair, I've had 2 BCN (due to last minute change of surgical team) and I found them both to be pretty useless. I've only phoned them 4 times for bits of advice and each time have gone through to answer phone...however I did get a call back from ONE of my messages, wasn't my BCN though lol so if I've needed advice I've always used the BCC helpline.

Hailey...aka lowfatlovatt, I hope your ok. You are forbidden to stay in there too long as we require your services here to keep us laughing with your stories. Wishing you a very speedy recovery.

Right I'm off to check out this huge spot that seems to have taken over my chin! Does chemo make you regress to your teenage years? I so hope so 😉

Marie x
Rowan44

oh no Lowfatlovatt ! whats taken you in now ?  hope you manage to escape soon  sending hugs xx

lowfatlovatt

In crappy hospital again 😔 xxx
Rowan44

I was told I would see my consultant till I had almost finished my rads so it will be a few months I see a nurse practitioner on the chemo unit for the pre assessment session havent had any contact from the BCN since just before my chemo I guess its a case of if I want to speak to her I have to ring her and boy what a process that is , just goes to show how different it is at different hospitals , glad I have you peeps to moan to !
Jaffacakes

Alice, you're right; good nurses are completely brilliant and it sounds as though you are very well looked after. I've also found the chemo nursing team to be superb - skillful and also, crucially, kind. I would love to have more of my BCN's time, but one of two BCNs left and so the remaining one is desperately busy.
Hope the caffeine does the trick! I am now off it until my taste buds return - I'm guessing another week.
alice45

Thanks for that, Jaffacakes - haven't seen a doctor of any description since starting chemo but conversations/whines with long-suffering BCN seem to result in action as Emend was added to pre-chemo iv this time and twice as many anti-sickness pills supplied, so we'll see how it goes. I see the senior oncology nurse regularly (she gave the chemo this time and supervised the junior giving it last time). She is very brisk and no nonsense but answers all my questions and inspires more confidence than any doctor! She was the one who insisted I had to have a portacath right at the beginning before the veins started giving trouble, and I'm very grateful for that.

Feeling rather wobbly today but realised that I  haven't ingested any caffeine for over 24 hours so am now drinking a cup of coffee which I hope will perk things up a bit! Hair thinning in all sorts of strange places ...

Mariecay - do hope things are getting a bit easier for you.

Jaffacakes

On seeing the oncologist, Alice, I haven't seen mine since the start of chemo, I get to see an oncology doctor, but it's mainly about keeping in touch and managing meds, which is actually what is needed at the moment, whoever does it.
lowfatlovatt

Hey up me ducks
Welcome to the other ladies who have found themselves here!
Im sorry some of you arent feeling so good, im fairly ok, just get tired very easily but thanks to emend no sickness!
Regarding the hair I have none anywhere, although I wax my legs, undearms and down below every 2weeks so wouldnt know if id lost that anyway, eyebows and eyelashes have thinned abit but I have individual lashes put in so they look pretty much normal.
Interesting school run this afternoon, me and a friend went to pick noah and her son up, everyone was staring and whispering to each other 'thats the 1 with cancer' so I whipped my cap and scarf off and just said 'not got cancer, that was removed, having chemo and as much as we dont like each other i pray to god it never happens to you' (they dont like me cuz ive got a gob on me)
Hope the se's get better for everyone very very soon
Love and hugs
Hayley
Xxx
Rowan44

yes my head hair would be patchy if I hadnt shaved , the sides are smooth bald but I have stubble on tope and a little bit at the back , arm pits have thinned and my lady garden is smooth but I shave there .. havent had to shave for days tho so perhaps it isnt growing as much same with the legs 🙂
Jaffacakes

Hi all, day 6 of FEC 2 and although the sickness was much better this time round (hooray emend!), I seem to have a throat infection which is leaving me a bit worse than I was at this point last time (grr). I also get low when not well - don't seem to have the oomph to cope with it all and all the thoughts, but I'm feeling a bit better this evening. Good idea to use the helpline.
On the hair side, it's all a bit inconsistent with me. Public hair thinned first and quickly,, but has now decided to hang on for now. Head hair coming out copiously - I can still just about get away with it, but I'm guessing not for much longer. I haven't shaved my legs in weeks, thinking why would I bother, but the hairs there are clearly chemo resistant and haven't budged.. Armpits thinning a bit. Anyway I suspect I shall end up bald on top and hairy every where else. Oh the joys.
Marie, thinking of you. It is really hard.
Sue123

Hi Kevinj, thats me with the e-cmf, will pm you thanks x
Rowan44

Hi all  

Day 11 of FEC course 2  cruising now not too tired and feeling better than I did this time on course 1 if that is possible  so although I had it rougher on days 3-5  now I feel back to normal want to get out and do some walking in this lovely spring weather 

Had a lovely weekend with my partner  Saturday we had a lovely meal and listened to lots of good music and planned a little trip away in May before my last Chemo  🙂 He is going to Kitzbuhel with his brother next week for a skiing holiday  - I am disappointed that I can't go but have a promise that I will go next year ! 

Sunday was hilarious we went out shopping for boots for him to wear around the resort and I persuaded him to get some trainers as well seeing as the ones he has are past their best  he was happy with them  I was trying to restrain myself from buying any shoes my self ( I have lots ) until I spotted some wonderful boots  "how much are they ? " he asks  my reply " they are Purple ! "  

"purple is not a price " 

" They are PURPLE !!!!! "   says me 

turns out they are "Bordeaux " which is a reddy mauve colour but hey I love them and they will be worn at next chemo to kick the cancer !!Smiley Very Happy

Rowan44

Bigpumpkin

Oh Caz your little one has made me laugh, they say the funniest things dont they? Yes, I am expecting CT results tomorrow and am very familiar with that bad place you have been in, so much so I rang the Oncology Nurse yesterday leaving a garbled message on her voicemail regarding the results. She very kindly rang me back assuring me the scan was fine. This journey is such a rollercoaster ride. I try to stay strong and I try to be brave, some days are easier than others. For me, there is no greater strength than at the end of the day, my little one hugging me and saying I love you. Sending love and kisses x
Caz13

Hi big pumpkin and welcome 🙂 Sorry I can't give you any advice on hair loss as I'm a couple of weeks behind you. I hope you get less se with the next treatment. Like you I am dreading it too.
I am 42 with 3 gorgeous children (17, 7 and 2) and my heart goes out to them all every single day for having to deal with this. All of mine know but it was so hard to tell them. I used the book mummy's lump for my 2 yr old and now she joyously tells anyone who will listen in the most crowded of public places that "mummy only has one booby!" and laughs uproariously! She's now waiting with baited breath for my hair to fall out.
Are you awaiting ct scan results?
I've had a pretty bad day today - too much time to think. I rang thevhelpline and cried on the poor lady but she was so lovely and just talking to someone dragged me out of the spot I'd found myself in again.
Hugs to you all ladies xxx
Bigpumpkin

Thank you Alice, I hope that you will feel better very soon. I await Friday with dread but I keep telling myself that the Chemo is doing its job. Tomorrow will be my second visit to see the Oncologist but I have also spoken with the Oncology Nurse who has promised me different meds this time, so maybe its just a case of which Hospital you are under and if you have results pending ( I had a CT scan last week) I didnt mention anything about myself or ask a question earlier. So I was just wondering when does everyone generally lose other body hair ? I still have all mine and that cant be down to the cold cap. By the way Im 46 have 3 boys, aged 26,21 and my little pumpkin is just 3. My two older boys are very supportive but my little one has no idea. I just cannot find the courage to say anything. Anyhow it is a lovely day today and I send all good wishes x x stay strong x
alice45

Welcome, Bigpumpkin. I had my second FEC yesterday and am feverishly taking the tablets and keeping everything crossed for less nausea this time round! My BCN says that by the end of the 2nd cycle you should have a better idea of how things will go for the rest of the treatment, so watch this space...

Good luck with the cold cap - hope it works for you. I tried it as it worked brilliantly for a friend some years ago, but no luck for me. I'm curious so many of you seem to be seeing your oncologist during treatment; haven't seen mine since he arranged the chemo course, and no one has proposed I should, so I just deal with the oncology staff, who seem very efficient and informed and answer all the questions I would have asked him.

June_BCC

Hello Bigpumpkin

Welcome to the forums, I’m so pleased that you are finding the forums supportive already.

We also have a free helpline where the staff can offer practical information as well as emotional support.  The freephone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Caz13

Oh Marie my heart goes out to you. Big hug. Is horrible to think we are all suffering with this alone in different areas of the country. Same issues, same worries. We all need to get through this and start living again but it seems such a long time off and an impossible task. We will get there, and Kevin's lovely reassurance about Marg's hair loss is good to hear. I really hope you start to feel better very soon xxx
Bigpumpkin

Hello everyone, hope that you dont mind me joining the group. I await my 2'nd FEC this Friday and am hoping it will be a better experience regarding the sickness this time round. I have read all your very helpful advice already and will be prepared when I see the Oncologist tomorrow. I am using the cold cap and have been lucky so far with hair loss but I have a feeling it gets worse second time round. Anyway just wanted to say hello and send everyone a big hug xx
Jo_BCC

Hi Mariecay

If you need someone to talk to, in confidence, then please don't hesitate to phone the helpline here, the staff are here to support you through this.  Lines open at 9am today until 5pm, calls are free 0808 800 6000.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hazelb27

Big hugs Marie. I wish I could take this horrible disease and its treatments away for all of us, I really do. Sending you my love.

Hazel x
Mariecay

TAC 2 day 5...what a dreadful few days! I have struggled with nausea, writhed around with bone pain and grieved all over again for the loss of my hair 😞 I've watched my family silently cry feeling helpless...I hate this, I really do x
kevinj

When my wife had to have her hair shaved,she went to her hairdressers (who has cut he hair for years)when she came out she seemed fine,she had her wig on and got in the car,I said are you ok sweety,she said yes fine but Louise is in floods of tears,she said as she was shaving my head the tears were bouncing off her chin,daft as it sounds we drove home both laughing our heads off.I know all you ladies on here will think 'He has to say that' but my girl looked lovely with no hair,it is just over 2 years ago this happened she has all her hair back, thicker and it is jet black not a single grey hair (she is 50 at the end of the month)really strange as her hair was brown before the chemo.A lady on here i noticed had the same chemo as her e-cmf can i just say the e part is the hardest  the cmf (in her words) was a lot easier.There are not many ladies who have this chemo and if you would like any advice at all please pm me and marg will be very happy to help in any way she can.

alice45

Sue, I'm thinking of doing the same with my regular hairdresser (quiet time visit so as not to scare the regulars). Thank you for the tip re clean blades, I hadn't thought of that. I shall take my new wig along so at least I can leave his premises looking OK, and perhaps he can trim the fringe for me, as I think it's a bit too long.

I hooted at your description of trying to get rid of the hairs - I have a sort of scraping device I use on the furniture to get rid of cats hairs, and am now having to clean up after myself more than them! Just now I absentmindedly ran my hand through my hair (something I used to do regularly) and came away with a fistful... and I haven't dared to wash the hair for several days in case it all comes out at once! Just postponing the inevitable, I guess. Good luck to those trying the cold cap - I'm sure it will work for some, but I must admit I didn't miss the discomfort and the headache this morning.

Hazelb27

Hope your PICC settles down Jonsi. Thanks for letting me know about shaving your head. My wig looks pretty much like my own hair so doubt many people will notice the difference when I wear it. Sound like its definitely the way to go. Sue, the shaking of your clothes made me laugh because that's exactly what I've been like the past few days! The hairdresser my husband goes to has offered to shave it. I don't know her and somehow that seems right rather than going to my usual hairdresser. I shall remind her not to make me look like Matt Lucas 😄

Hazel x
Sue123

Hi Hazel, I too hung onto the moulting hair and was to be seen like a washerwoaman shaking my clothes out of the window to get rid of the shedding hairs. So I rang a quiet little hairdresser and explained and went up when the shop was quiet and they clippered it off for me. The hairdresser said he was using new blades (no infection) and he would not shave to the skin but leave a little fuzz so i was not shiny, don't want to look like Matt Lucas!

I too had little cries about my hair but i am fine now and feel better without the moult

Best wishes Sue x

Jonsi79

Had my PICC line today. Sedation was great-didnt feel anything and had an xray quickly so all done in an hour! Bit stingy tonight and oozing a little blood but hopefully will settle and I get an ok nights sleep. DN calling tomo to change dressing before my 3rd chemo on Wednesday.
Hazel I shaved my head a week ago now as I couldnt stick the itching and the stubble was sore and uncomfortable to wear a hat/wig etc Once done I felt much better and by Friday I was out and about in my wig!