cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo in February 2014?

1,318 REPLIES 1,318
Kess

Re: Starting Chemo in February 2014?

Go you Alice! Sounds great (apart from the cold!). I have booked a cruise for Feb 2017!! Ages away and who knows if I will be well, but that's what the travel insurance is for 😄
alice45

Good to hear from you all. I've just returned from a very pleasant cruise to the Canaries - never been there before, and liked it all very much. Came back with a cold (about a third of the passengers got one - I think the germs just go round and round in the air conditioning!) which is a nuisance, and haven't dared get on the scales yet... Got cold feet at the last minute - something about leaving the 'safe space' of home and heading into the unknown, not to mention the memory of my last cruise 2 years ago when I returned to find a summons to the breast clinic waiting, and subsequent diagnosis... but very glad I went. Very relaxing to have people doing everything for you for a couple of weeks! 2-year mammogram next month - trying to ignore that at the moment.

Love to all, Axx

Sue123

Hi girls and lovely to see my old friends are doing OK. I am back at work, had a few scares along the way but generally feeling fine. 

Love and best wishes, Sue x

Kess

Nice to hear from you! I am also doing well right now. My next check and mammo will be Feb. Life is, pretty much, back to "normal". Still trying to decide if I will go for recon once I am allowed it (2 years is the recommended wait with IBC) but pretty sure I won't! Otherwise just getting on with things.
Bigpumpkin

OMG finally I have managed to sign in to say hello to my old friends and to let you all know that I am thinking of you all and wishing you all the very best. I very much hope that you are all in good health and are enjoying life. I have had a recent Oncology appt which went very well, my next appt will be in January 2016 for a Mammogram. Love to everyone, I hope that you are all settling back into normal life! Love to you all, Catherine xxx
Hazelb27

Happy belated birthday Alice! What a milestone. Hope you had a great day.

Thanks for the info about the shoes Sue (and lovely to hear from you!). I will keep my eye out for those because I still get a bit achey. Still hanging in there with the gym and Pilates though not loving it. Hopefully I will start to enjoy it more if I keep telling myself that it will reduce my risk of recurrence by 40%. It's a big number so that keeps me going.

Take care everyone and keep well lovely ladies. Hxx
Kess

Wow that's a great birthday!

I have started in the gym. Just going half an hour once or twice a week, mainly some cardio and a little tiny bit if really light weight work with my arms. Finding it tough going but can see improvement already so will try and stick with it!

Will also look into those shoes as have had issues with my knees for some years. Would love to blame my age but can't really!!
alice45

Great to hear from you both -

Hazel, glad to hear you are doing well. Pilates is great for you (I did it for years until they closed the local venue) and always found it very adaptable for the bits that don't work quite as well as they should...

Sue, I shall have to investigate those shoes - I'm a great fan of comfy footwear. Can't blame the chemo for my arthritic knee, but bet it didn't help... at least, the steroids did wonders for the knee, but don't want to go back on those! Am starting to suffer from low back problems, but that's more to do with having turned 70 last month...   Woman Frustrated

Love to all, A

Sue123

Hi girlies and lovely to hear from our little crew again. Remamber my kidney pains, well still had them and had a ct scan a month or so ago and all ok so gotta get on withit although the pain is MUCH improved.

I am not mad about exercise either Hazel although I do like a nice walk . I have developed sore knees (blame the chemo) and have discovered Skechers shoes which have memory foam in the sole so really comfy and a good investment if you have sore ankles and knees I think.

Take care, Sue xxxx

Hazelb27

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in replying Alice. I don't stop by much anymore. Life's getting more back to normal (if there is such a thing!). Still got some aches and pains but accept that's just how it will be. Sorry to hear you're still suffering aches and pains too but happy your check up went well. Same for you Kess. It's a relief to get good news isn't it! My exercise regime is still fairly slow. I don't love exercise if I'm honest but I know it's good for me and my future health so I will stick with it. I've come to enjoy Pilates more than I thought I would so that's a bonus. Are you still going to the gym regularly?

For the past few weeks I have been attending the BCC moving forward course. Last session is next week. I've found it really worthwhile and useful and would recommend it if you haven't been. They hold them all over the UK.

I'll stop by again soon but in the meantime take care everyone and stay well.

Lots of love,

Hazel xxx
Kess

Hi Alice. Good news on your checkup. I had one a couple of weeks ago and it was all fine too. Had my mammo in Feb and that was ok as well. I know what you mean - some days I can go several hours without even thinking about cancer! Here's hoping for a better 2015 for us.
alice45

Greetings, ladies, I hope our long absence from the front page means that we are all well and getting on with life. I know there are times when I think 'it never happened, and if it did, it never will again!'. Then the stiffness and aches around the clearance area remind me that it did... I had my regular checkup with the oncologist this morning and all was well; I quizzed him on the bits that still hurt, and he agreed with my tentative diagnosis of a mixture of clearance surgery and the subsequent major nerve damage, and the after effects of the radiotherapy, which he said could last a year or more. I finished rads at the end of July last year, so if it's still hurting in 6 months time, won't be best pleased...Anyway, next mammogram and appointment with him booked in today for next November. In the meantime it's back to 'it never happened' mode!

Do hope you are all doing well. Hazel, how is the exercise going?

Love and best wishes to all, Axx

Kess

thats great news Hazel really pleased for you!
alice45

Hazel, what good news! It's a lovely feeling, isn't it!   Smiley Very Happy

Sue123

Fab xx

Hazelb27

Mammo results letter arrived today and all clear. So relieved! 😊 Hxx
Hazelb27

Thanks everyone. I was at the gym again yesterday but just concentrating on lower half just now. My legs were like jelly when I finished 😄 I'm so unfit but at least it's a start. I will speak to the trainer and pass on everything you've told me and try some light weights to begin with for my upper body and increase repetitions like you suggest Alice.

I had my mammo last Monday but haven't had the results yet. They did say it would take two weeks because they get two radiologists to report on it because I've had bc. I had a CT and bone scan a couple of weeks ago too and both came back clear thankfully so hoping they would have shown up anything nasty meaning the mammo should be fine. Fingers crossed anyway.

Thanks again for all the advice. It's so good that I can still come here and get advice and support. It's also really nice that we are all looking to the future. ☺️

Hazel xx
alice45

Dear ladies, didn't know so many of you had also had full node clearance - it's good to know we can compare problems/fitness regimes/recovery techniques.

Kess, your exercise regime sounds great, no need to add the gym if you don't want to. I only go because I prefer working out alone to a class, though I must use some of my Pilates DVDs which are just gathering dust at home! I seem to have developed some lower back problems for the first time in my life: I blame the chemo for destroying my body...

Hazel, weren't you due a mammogram? All clear, I hope.

Love to all, A

Kess

I had my surgery last August. Started with just walking, and added in Pilates after 12weeks. Then started swimming jan when my wound finally fully healed, and added aqua fit in feb. I am doing more exercise now than before I for cancer even if it's all fairly low intensity. Have been debating adding a bit of gym work in, but not sure I am quite ready yet and don't feel the need to rush :). Most things are possible if you work up to them.
Bigpumpkin

Full clearance on the left for me too Haze, the only advice I have been given against lymphoedema is to look after my arm against infection from scratches from gardening etc and I was given some Flucloxacillin to keep at home just incase . When carrying heavy shopping etc, I also try to evenly distribute the weight, swapping arms frequently. Im sure that anything in moderation is acceptable. I would love to get back into a good exercise regime, I try to power walk for a half hour every day, and have just bought a workout stick, I thought I would start off really gently and see what happens. Good luck at your sessions and let us know how you get on xxx
All the best
Cath x
Hazelb27

Thanks everyone. That's really helpful. I will talk it through with the trainer and build up gradually. I had full clearance so I'm a bit paranoid! I'll also post in the lymphoedema section too Kess. I hadn't thought of that so maybe I've got some residual chemo brain 😄

Thanks again and love to you all.

Hazel x
alice45

Hazel, I had full clearance on the left and now exercise at the gym, using all the resistance equipment I used to before all this happened. Have built back up very slowly - increasing repetitions at first rather than increasing weight, and stopping if anything hurt. I had a friend who suffered with dreadful lymphedema which pretty well disappeared once she started exercising at the gym, under the guidance of a knowledgeable fitness trainer. Why not work with your trainer to see what you can and can't do, avoid what hurts to start with, and start at the lowest weight and a small number of reps. Then build up as you get stronger.

I can certainly do things I couldn't 6 months ago. I agree with Kess that it would be the unexpected and uncontrolled application of stress on the arm (like trying to pick up something heavy, or move a large piece of furniture!) that is more likely to cause damage. I still carry shopping, but with equal bags if possible, or the heaviest on the undamaged side, or shifting one bag from arm to arm as I walk.

Good luck!

Ax

Kess

I had full jode clearance, but have been told to gradually build up in the left side. I was told that prolonged lifting (eg carrying a bag) is more likely to be a problem than just weight training (slowly). Maybe post in the lymphodema section if you haven't already I suspect you will get a lot of comments then! Good luck
Sue123

Hi Hazel, I suppose it depends on whther you had full node clearance or just the sentinel and one or two more. I just had sentinel and 2 others and have lifted and done weights with no problems. Perhaps try it and see how you get on? I do think its important that we do what we want within sensible limits of course

Sue xx

Hazelb27

Hi ladies. Looking for a bit of advice. I've been told by my bcn not to use my left arm for any heavy lifting, not even a bag of shopping,in case I develop lymphedema. However, I recently joined a gym (for the first time in my entire life!!) and the instructor is trying to develop a programme for me. He asked about what I can and can't do with my left arm and I said not much but it got me thinking so I did a bit of googling. Some of the advice from the lymphedema support network suggest exercise can be good for moving lymph fluid around the body and can reduce the risk of developing lymphedema so I'm confused!

Can I ask what advice you ladies have been given and what you do when you're exercising. I know a few of you go to the gym.

Thanks so much and hope you are all keeping well.

Hazel x
Kess

Will ask at my next checkup in May Cath. Hope your husbands op goes ok.

Glad to hear you are managing to do a bit more Sue. I think exercise really does help with mood as well so it's win win really. I am doing more now than before my dx...!
Sue123

Hi girls it is soooo nice to read your posts and that your scans are all tickety boo.

I have had a chat with my psych at the cancer centre and with her agreement have come off the antidpressants. They were making me pile on the weight which is depressing in itself ......

So I have been swimming and going to do a bit more exercise at our council gym which should help boost my mood.

Love to you all girls and hope all keeps goes well for us all xx

Bigpumpkin

Hello again everyone x
Double check about the Tamoxifen/Dexa scan Kess, knowing me Im having the scan for a different reason . We talked about the effects the menopause is having in my body, the bloods I was having taken and then my niggling worries. To be honest I was so relieved that she quashed my fears, I may well have muddled the reason for the scan but I do recall saying that since taking the Tamoxifen, I do tend to get achy legs, particually after exercise . She then suggested a Dexa Scan saying she would rather know if I need Calcium supplements now as apposed to five years time. I would be interested to hear what your Oncologist's opinion.
Thank you for all your well wishes for my hubby girls. His op is scheduled for April 15th, he definately cannot fly out with us due to insurance purposes but should be fine to fly home. His plan is to travel via Eurostar to Barcelona, then a ferry crossing to Mahon. His consultant seems to think he will be ok to travel by the end of May, so again, fingers crossed.
Good to hear lots of positive results, keep us posted and good luck to anyone with forthcoming appointments.
Lv to all Cath xx
alice45

Morning, ladies - was hoping to enjoy the partial eclipse today but here in London it's just been an ordinary gloomy spring morning, very chilly, too!

Glad to hear all the positive results news. I've now had an all clear from bone scan, ultrasound and blood tests, so have to come to terms with the fact that all the bits that feel 'wrong', that still hurt or don't work properly, are all part of the new normal and have to be lived with...  They're still keeping a close eye on things - I see the oncologist in May and the surgeon again in July, which is reassuring - but must now try to get on with life. One thing I want to raise with the oncologist is the series of red patches that recently appeared on the irradiated breast - very odd 8 months after radiotherapy finished, but I suppose anything is possible with the treatment we've had. At least they went away!

Hazel, hope you manage to resolve the hot flushes - sounds horrible. And Cath, do hope your husband's problems can be sorted.

Best wishes to all,

Axx

Hazelb27

Sorry to hear about your husband Cath and fingers crossed he gets the all clear to fly. You all most certainly deserve the holiday!

Thanks for letting me know about the acupuncture. I'll definitely look into it because the flushes and night sweats in particular are getting worse. I've changed to a 4 tog duvet and hubby is freezing at night whilst I on the other hand am still melting! Got a gp appointment on 31st to see if he can offer any advice.

Got good news yesterday. Both ct and bone scan were clear so very happy. Got my mammo on Tuesday but thinking that too will be clear if nothing showed up on the ct. Going to try and start putting this all behind me now.

Take care everyone.

Hazel xx
Kess

So sorry to hear that about your husband Cath. I hope he is ok and that you can stil have your holidays. I think we all could so with a break this year! Good news on your check up though. I thought tamoxifen was a protector of bones? One of the few positives of it (apart from the recurrence reduction risk of course!!). If bone thinning is possible on it will need to pick that up with my onc at my next check.
Bigpumpkin

Thanks for that Kess,
I saw the Oncologist today and it seems those fears were more in my mind than reality. Bloods were a trifle uncomfortable, my veins are totally wrecked after the Chemo, but Im glad the Oncologist is keeping her eye on me. She's referring me for a Dexa scan to see if the Tamoxifen is having an impact on the strength of my bones , no rush on that though and the wait could be up to 9 months .
Still glad I ditched the wig, had my hair cut and coloured again a few weeks ago. Its growing nicely but now have straight and some curly hair, looks a bit of a mess sometimes but its mine lol xx
We have a holiday to Menorca booked for May and Lapland in November. We've just found out that my husband has a cyst on his lung and may not be able to fly, everything is up in the air at the moment, but if there's one thing my experience has taught me is that health and wellbeing of family is paramount, Im still crossing my fingers that we dont have to cancel but what will be will be !
Thinking of you all xx love to all xx
Cath x
Kess

Hope the appointment goes well on weds. I was anxious before mine but I think that is quite normal.
Bigpumpkin

Hi everyone, its been lovely catching up on all your posts.
Glad you got that little one home safe and sound Hayley xx
Its a big thumbs up for the Acupuncture Hazel. I never thought I would say this but it has been a great success ! I had 6 weekly sessions each lasting 20 mins. My hot flashes have almost disappeared and when I do get them, they go as fast as they come. All done on the NHS, so glad I gave it a go xxx
Glad to hear all is well with you Alice, I have an Oncology Apt this Wednesday and Im suddenly really nervous. I have some aches and pains I would like clarified, I feel a bit silly sometimes but I think its better to get worries out into the open xxx
Hope you are a little less stressed Sue , glad to hear you are back in work , hope that things settle down for you xxx
Love to all and anyone I may have missed. It feels good to keep in touch
Cath
Sue123

Hi girls, glad to see we are all still messageing. I am feeling OK, work is tiring and I am trying not to stress too much about it. The thing is i like work but do get anxious that I am not on top of things as i usually am. I can't multi task as well as I used to and though my manager is very understanding they still want the job done. I am a social worker and have to juggle adopters, their social workers, the childrens social workers my adopters and all their egos which can be trying!! Hey ho I am off for a few days and though I have been working to catch up i am sorted now and off til Tuesday. 

I am still taking the antidepressants, its been about a month now and do feel  more calm and a bit blunted truth be told.

I hope all goes well for your upcoming scans Hazel and let us know how you get on. I have had a few scans since my op, more due to my kidney pains which are still problematic at times but have been so investigated I really have given up worrying about them so much. Love to yo Hazel, Alice, Kes  and everone else.

Caz where are you? hope you are OK. Hope all is going OK for you Hayley. Lets keep posting now and again

Love Sue x

Hazelb27

Hi all

Glad you're check up went well Kess. My first mammo is in 2 weeks. Had a CT on Monday and bone scan next week to check aches and pains are just Tamoxifen related. My hand is black and blue from attempts to put in the canula on Monday. I've very few good veins left after chemo!

Cath, if you're still around on the forum I'd be really grateful to hear how your acupuncture is going. My flushes and night sweats have gotten much worse so hoping to find something to help.

Alice thank you for keeping us on the front page. I had a fabulous holiday except for the humidity making the flushes worse. I was just happy to be there though. Great food and drink and great friends to share it with. It was just magic. Hopefully Scotland will get some sunshine this year so I'm lucky enough to enjoy two summers!

Lots of love to you all and hope everyone is keeping well.

Hxx
Kess

Hi Alice, yes my checkup was last week. All is fine thank you for asking. Hope everything is okay with you as well and all of the others still reading these forums!
alice45

(Off the front page again...)

Hazel, how great that you made it to Australia - hope you had/are having a wonderful time. Anyone else off on their travels yet?

Kess, have you had your first check-up? Hope all was well.

Sue, hope the joints aren't too troublesome and that you are feeling brighter. I've been on the grumpy step (as the April ladies put it) from time to time, but a bit of sunshine does wonders. (Waking up with a migraine this morning was no fun but the weekend was lovely!)

Jilly, sorry to hear you are in so much pain. Do hope they can help you with it. It is horrid to see so many folk going through what we experienced this time last year, isn't it. I've a friend just diagnosed with BC - we're hoping she won't need to have chemo.

Hayley, hope your little one is thriving. Are you/have you resumed treatment yourself?

Cath, has the acupuncture helped with the hot flushes? Hope the hair is flourishing. My fringe is almost down to my eyebrows now - woe betide the hairdresser if he takes too much off on my next visit. It's wonderful when you can actually run your fingers through it!

Best wishes to all (and apologies if I've missed anyone),
Axx

Hazelb27

Hi everyone,

I can't believe we drop off the first page either. Hopefully that means we are all getting on as well as possible. Jilly sorry you're still in so much pain 😔 that can't be good and fingers crossed your new medication works. I've had various aches and pains and am getting follow up CT and bone scans to check things out but the surgeon and oncologist reckon it's just the Tamoxifen. I'll be glad to get the scans though to rule everything out.

I'm currently on my holiday in Australia one year later than planned! I'm having a great time but finding the heat and humidity hard this time because of the flushes. I think wine increases my flushes but I'm not giving it up until I'm home 😄. It's been a real milestone getting here and it hasn't disappointed.

Alice I have a bit of a cake addiction too so I'll need to be on my best behavious when I get home!

It's lovely to hear from you all and we really should keep this thread going. We came through (and are still going through) a lot together and it would be a shame to let that go.

Lots of love from sunny Oz

Hazel xx
Kess

Sorry Sue and Jilly to hear you are struggling a bit. I hope you have more better days.i particular Jilly having no pay for so long must have been an unwelcome extra worry in top of everything. I am finding 4days a good compromise. I think I would struggle to work to my normal level 5 days a week. And I am loving having a bit more time for me. Doing ok really. First check up soon though so a bit anxious about that 🙂
Sue123

Hi girls, good to hear from you all and best wishes to you Hayley with your new daughter. 

I am back at work full time and though I do enjoy it and it is a distraction I would like to be able to afford part time and have started making plans to do that next year. It is difficult to know what to do but have rationalised that I want to have the money to go on holidays and enjoy myself.

I have joint pains too and my knees are quite creaky and sore and its not old age haha, they have got so much worse since the chemo but are improving. I have started a course of antidepressants too as I do feel very low at times as I am sure we all do.

Love and best wishes, Sue x 

Jorge1

I don't come on this site often now - and I guess that is the same for others and why we fall from the front page.  My immediate thought was that there are so many new people going through it all - poor things.  

I have started back at work and as I am freelance and charge a day rate I have negotiated charging by the hour.  This has meant that I can go at my own speed.  Its 4 week since I started and I am doing 3 days a week from 10 until 5ish.  It has been a costly year without any sick pay.

I am still in masses of pain and taking so much medication.  I saw the pain consultant last week who said that my pain sensors had been 'switched on to high' by either the Taxol, or the Herceptin.  And those pain sensors that had worked before were the ones that were really bad now.  It sort of makes sense.  I was born with talipes (club feet) and had loads of surgery on my feet and ankles - that I don't remeber as I was a baby and then again when I was 4.  I have also had knee surgery.  Most of my pain is in my feet and legs.  But my hands hurt too - and there hasn't been a historical problem with them.  So the theory works - sort of.  Anyway - he changed some of my meds and I am waiting to see if I feel any better.

My blood pressure is now high - it has steadily climbed on Herceptin.  But only 3 to go.

Love to all

Jilly x

Kess

Good to hear from you Alice, and glad things are not too bad for you. I think building up gradually is important. It is easy to overdo things, and our bodies will undoubtedly protest.... I am doing good, working normal nours now (although cut them to 4 days a week) and doing a lot more exercise. Stamina is iffy but I know it's improving 😌
alice45

I hate it when we fall off the front page - it feels like losing touch with you all! My bone scan results showed no changes since the previous one (just arthritis) and ultrasound revealed lots of scar tissue but nothing else. So I guess the bits that feel 'wrong', still hurt, or don't work properly are just part of the 'new normal' and something I have to learn to live with... Blood test just done to check on thyroid function - recent weight gain and tiredness might be thyroid mal function, or alternatively just me trying to do too much, and rewarding myself with cake! Roll on spring - although I go to the gym regularly I hate this damp and cold weather and need to get out and about much more.

Hope all goes well with you all. Axx

alice45

Hayley, how good to hear from you, and what lovely news. Axx

lowfatlovatt

Hey dudes, sorry not been on for a while, our little baby girl came home new years eve so been concentrating on her and the other 4, hope you all doing ok dudes
Love and hugs
Hayley, andy, freya, meg, noah, ellis and fiannah xxx
Kess

My employer won't allow compressed hours. I already do longer days than standard, but that is just part of the job. I was worried about the getting paid for 4 days and doing 5 thing. How it's working at present is we are keeping my cover for the rest of this year (he is 3 days a week). I am using the time that gives me to get some projects sorted, and as a team we are looking at what we do and how we do it so hopefully we will be able to manage next year... Will have to see how it goes.
Hazelb27

I thought about cutting my hours too Kess but since no one would do the work, I would have ended up cramming 5 days work into 4 days for less money. Instead I'm doing compressed hours and having every Friday afternoon off. It's only been two weeks so far but I love it! Out for lunch last Friday and today, a haircut and some shopping. It's doing wonders for my mental wellbeing.
I hope this weekend passes without too much stress. My year anniversary was a couple of weeks ago and although I had some unwelcome thoughts about what the future may bring, it only lasted a day and then back to normal. I hope you have a lovely relaxing and stress free weekend. Hxx
Kess

I have cut my hours to 4 days a week. Its a nice balance that I would have liked to do anyway but being ill gave me a good reason to take to my boss. I am only 42 but luckily earn enough for us to manage (I am the main wage earner my husband was already part time...). I find when I am at work I am very focussed and really get into it. It is tiring though and I have to be very strict about not doing too long days and not working on my day off (weds so I can rest mid week - well rest, swim, and do chores!_. Sorry to hear that you are in pain Sue - hope they can sort you out :(. It is odd its a year since we all started chemo. For me its a year this weekend since dx - I think I am ok about that guess I will see 🙂
Hazelb27

Hi everyone,

Alice I hope your bone scan goes ok. It's good that you're still being looked after and hoping you're not worrying too much. I've got some swelling and lumpiness too but hoping it's just scar tissue. Got my follow up with my surgeon on Monday and hopefully he can put my mind at rest.

Sue congrats on ditching the wig. My hair is really thick and curly which I hate! Like you though I get lots of compliments weirdly! Nobody ever complimented my hair before! Third haircut planned for the weekend so maybe I'll like it better when it's tidier. Sorry work is just ok. I'm back full time and finding it quite tiring. I used to love my job but finding it hard to get back into it. Hopefully my enthusiasm will return in time.

Good luck with your acupuncture Cath. You're a braver woman than me. I've had my fill of needles in the last year!

Does anyone else find it strange to see a Feb 2015 chemo thread? I can't believe it's been a year since our thread was started. Where did the time go?

Love to you all and keep well.

Hazel x