cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo in February 2014?

pinkrunner

Re: Starting Chemo in February 2014?

Hi Gill

I did try and send an email this morning but I dont know what happened ! Lol !  By the end of all this we will be IT experts !!    Look forward to getting your request.  It's good for me too as its taking my mind off next Wednesday !    xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jonsi79

Hi Rowan44
I've tried to send you a private message on here but wont send!! I have followed you.
Also searched the new fb group but no luck!! Is it all one word?
Rowan44

ok have edited it out thanks 🙂
Lakeslover

Hi Gil,

You might want to ask people to send you a private message on here, and remove your e mail address from the post. I'm not sure if you are aware but your e mail address is currently open for anyone to view, not even just registered users of the site.

Rowan44

Hi all , Facebook page is there but teething issues lol !

bear with me 🙂  , its the first time I have been an admin and there might be a few difficulties but if you search for February Valentines 2014 BCC is the name of group at present , not sure how the email thing works ... at present I havent recieved any  so I dont know  .

It is a closed group anyone should be able to find it but only members can see the posts so I have to add you first

It may be better for you to tell me your names on here so you can private message me and I will add you , please tell me your facebook name and what your profile pic is so that I am inviting the right person

I am liking this tho its keeping me busy and my mind off the chemo , I am over analysing every ache and twinge I get lol

Good luck to all who have their first dose today  big hugs , take deep breaths  🙂

Gill

pinkrunner

Hey thanks for setting up the FB page - I will log on later and join up - I presume it is closed as like a lot of you I don't want my ftriends knowing either !

Hey Lowfatlovatt - thinking of you today hun - I will be exactly the same next week. Lots of hugs.  xxx Pinkrunner xx

Mariecay

I can't seem to find the page on Facebook but I have sent an email x
Mariecay

Hope your feeling a little better about today lowfatlovatt, hopefully things will be a lot smoother than you anticipate.x
Mariecay

That's fab gill and I am more than happy to help out x
Rowan44

OK folks , I have got my friend Glen to set up the page on Facebook  , go onto face book and search for February Valentines 2014 and hopefully you should find it ... fingers crossed .  If anyone wants to help out and be admin please speak up cos I dont want to do it all on my own and hope it should be a joint effort possibly need 4 or 5 admins so we are about to accept new members ? and the name can be changed I just fiddled about a bit   as one does 🙂

members of other chemo threads obviously welcome and all input and assistance  accepted with good grace

xxxx

Gill  aka Rowan 44

oh you can also apply by emailing  : Febvalentines2014@groups.facebook.com -( hmmm this doesnt seem to be working sorry )

Guest user
Not applicable

Yes. You WILL be fine. Not what you expect at all. Honest! Will be thinking of you and let us know how you get on. You will be so relieved that your doing something to make everything right again. Xx
Rowan44

Hiya ,lowfatlovatt , you will be fine just take deep breathes and it really isn't as bad as you have built it up to be , not going is not really an option 🙂 I will be thinking of you and holding your hand to get through it 🙂 xxx
lowfatlovatt

Hey up me ducks
Ive been ok all day, kept myself busy bleaching the house, even went and bought my daughter a car for her birthday, im now sat with the hubby freaking out about starting chemo tomorrow telling him im not going
Xxx
Rowan44

re wigs : yeah me too its a complete change of colour my friend was with me when I tried it and says I look stunning and reckons my partner will love it 🙂

Guest user
Not applicable

That is great. Thanks Gill. X
Rowan44

ok closed it is but I will try to put a link on here to it if I can get my friend to help me out 🙂
TresVan

Ditto, with me about friends not knowing, so personally a closed group would be best.xx

Rowan44

I have a couple of friends who are admins on facebook pages so I will speak to them and see if I can set one up closed group with invites or is open best ? if I set it up and tell you on here you can apply to join , not all my "friends" know my full diagnosis  I am keen that not everyone sees what I am putting on there , but I will post on here if I can get it sorted

Gill ( aka Rowan44)

Mariecay

Well I have bought a wig! Completely different from how I would ever have my hair but I would never choose to be bald either! I'm gonna get mixed reviews but do I care? No I don't! 🙂 x
Guest user
Not applicable

Also got a few of the little jersey hats from anabandaba. Will look cute with little broochs/pins on them. X
Guest user
Not applicable

I ordered my wig on Friday from my wig lady. Waiting for my colour to come.. Judy Plum wigs are fab! X
pinkrunner

Hi all

I think that's a great idea re the facebook page.  I've got my wig lady coming tomorrow.  Not sure about this cold cap thing really so want to be prepared.  Have ordered a few things from Anna Bandana and bought loads of hats and some funky sunglasses - hopefully I won't look too ridiculous ! Lol ! xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

That is great Rowan. I think we need to start a Facebook group soon with all of us so we can start sharing more info. I havent a clue how to set up. Anyone? Would be nice for wig photos etc. To keep our spirits up. Faces to names too. Thoughts on this ladies?Xx
Rowan44

Hi all day 3 after first dose of FEC , not sleeping much cos of the steroids but other than that doing fine , I looked at the cold cap and decided it wasnt for me , they wet your hair and it makes the appointment an hour longer cos you have to keep it on , I hate feeling cold I am a hothouse plant !!

I think I will look funky being bald I am a bit of a rock chick ! also my new wig is awesome  have tried it on once or twice but it may be a few more weeks before I actually need to use it  🙂 

No nausea today  and headache has gone too I actually feel normal ??? LOL whatever that is, 

Good luck to all us Valentines starting chemo tomorrow xxx  big hugs 

Rowan 

Jonsi79

Glad to hear you're doing ok ladies. I didnt have any sickness after my general anaesthetic so cross fingers its the same! The oncology nurse asked me on friday if I am a sicky person, which I'm not, and she said that is normally a sign too!! Who knows hey!
Mariecay - keeping busy is definitely the best thing to do! I wasnt home one day last week and it didnt give me the chance to over think things and just wait!! Surrounded myself with friends and family over the weekend also for the rugby! Good distraction!
All the best for those of you starting tomo! TresVan I too have a wonderful muminlaw who I get on with really really well!! She's been to a few appointments with me, but husband wants to come with me on wed when I have the chemo!
Keep in touch ladies and together I'm sure we can help each other!
xxxx
TresVan

Hi all, 

Thanks for the support re tomorrow. Was just at the Oncology suite where I had my pic line flushed and checked - all good. My bloods were also good they said my levels would have scored a "B" on a test. . Don't think it will stay that good for long !!! I am going to try the cold cap, however if I start looking like a monk from the 1st Centuary with bits of hair here and there, will probably stop it, I will wait and see. I am taking my mother - in - law with me tomorrow for moral support and yes, I do get along with her and am one lucky daughter in law. 

To all of us facing chemo this week - stay strong and positive. xxx

pinkrunner

TresVan

Can I just ask - are you going to try the cold cap ?  When I spoke to my Oncologist about it, she said because of the combination of the FEC and FEC-T it wasn't very successful.  Just wondered what your thoughts were or anyone else for that matter on a similar regime ?   xxx Pinkrunner xxx

pinkrunner

Mariecay

I think the anxiety bit is the worse - my breast care nurse told me that you have to find a coping mechanism ! But I totally agree it does feel that you're waiting to go to the gallows !!! Lol !  Good luck xxxx

pinkrunner

Hi Tresvan

Good luck for tomorrow - I'll be thinking of you.  Please let me know how it goes. xxx Pinkrunnerxxx

Mariecay

Glad to hear another one of us is doing not too bad during chemo, it is really helpful reading your posts everyone. Everyone is different I suppose and we all just have to wait and see how we will respond. Luckily I only have to wait till Friday. I have a really busy week till then. I'm going wig hunting today (have decided to have one in place just in case) then back to see the oncologist tomorrow for pre chemo checks and see if they have made their decision between FEC or TAC!

Has anyone set up a Facebook page for February yet?

Marie x
Rowan44

Hi Ladies , I started my FEC-T regime on Friday posting on this thread cos it is nearly feb start lol ,  I have had nausea but not bad on ondansetron which is a really good antiemetic also got domperidone to use and injectable metclopromide , havent used the injections and only had domperidone twice , I have not been sick .I know its easy to say don't worry , I know I was worried before friday but it really hasnt knocked me off my feet as I expected it too , I have had mild headaches but if you drink plenty and do as they tell you I think you will do ok, I have been a bit tired today and due to stop the oral dexamethasone they gave me tomorrow so may get more tired next week I guess , but everyone is different of course 

Rowan 🙂 

Lola65

Hi Ladies!

I am a February 2013 member (February Valentines) and am popping in to wish each and everyone of you the very best of luck on your chemo journey.

May I make a suggestion? Once you begin your chemo and post on here about your side effects, or ask questions etc. it is very useful if you include at the top of your post what your regime is, and which cycle you are on, because each regime has different side effects and each cycle is different from the next. For example, mine would have been:

TCH cycle 3

This really helps the others that are on the same regime, and might cause less stress to those on different regimes who may not suffer the same problems.

To answer Mariecay's question about sickness. Not all chemo drugs will make you sick. FEC probably will. Tax doesn't normally. The part of the brain that makes you sick with these drugs is the same part that makes women sick during pregnancy, so those two things are related, and you may find your oncologist will ask you if you suffered from morning sickness. Mine did.

I was never once sick nor was I ever nauseous. I was given a box of anti-sickness tablets after my first chemo but never needed to open them. In fact the box is still in my cupboard somewhere! I was on Tax and Carboplatin with Herceptin.

Good luck ladies. It will soon be over and time will fly, I promise you. xxxxxx

poemsgalore

Hi Mariecay,

I was told that if you had morning sickness during early pregnancy, or travel sickness, you were more likely to get chemo sickness. I don't know about it being related to your reaction after surgery. I had no sickness at all during my chemo last February. They kept giving me the Metoclopramide tablets even though I refused them. I have boxes of the stuff in my drawer. But then I wasn't sick after surgery either. But I do get car sick if I don't look out of the window all the time. So who knows which of these stories are true??

As far as feeling generally ill on chemo, my 'bad' days started on day 5 through to day 9, I was exhausted all the time, had constipation, painful and bleeding haemorhoids. I also had oral  thrush for which my onco gave me meds and burning stomach for which she also gave me meds. But we are all different, and I know some of the the other Valentines had different SEs to mine, whilst others were similar. 

poemsgalore xx

Mariecay

It's very difficult not to let the anxiety get to us at times. I too have been quite snappy and inpatient. It feels like waiting to be hung! My breast care nurse told me that you tend to react to the chemo the same way you react to the anesthetic after your op. If your sick after then you will tend to be sick with chemo as they use the same anti sickness drug! Dunno if any of the ladies who have started, going through or finished their chemo can shed light on whether this is true? X
TresVan

Hi Pink Runner,

I am also on the Fec-T regime. Start on Tuesday with 3 cycles of fec, which is a combination of 3 drugs, then I will be having 3 cycles of the T part also known as docetaxel or taxotere . I start on Tuesdaye the 4th Feb, so with let you know how I get on . 

pinkrunner

I got my chemo start date through in the post yesterday - 12th February - it has just hurled me into a whirlpool of anxiety and stressfulness.  I am scared and incredibly tearful.  I have been very snappy with the family as well.  I am totally dreading it.  I am having FEC and FEC-T combined.  Apparently you initially start with the FEC and then move on to the FEC-T - is anyone else having the same ?  Also has anyone got any tips for coping with anxiety.  Sometimes I am so bad before appointments that I am actually physically sick.  I know I am going to be a nightmare by the time the 12th comes round.  Good luck to you lot starting this week - my thoughts are with you xxxxxx Pinkrunner xxxx

lowfatlovatt

Hey up me ducks,
Tuesday is getting closer and im getting more and more scared, its the fact that im going to let them pump me full of stuff thats possibly going to make me ill that I dont like, I dont even take paracetamol and I need to be ok for my daughters birthday on thurs
Xxx
Rowan44

Yes Mariecay I am on FEC next dose in 3 weeks time , I had right total mastectomy and axillary clearance in December  unfortunately there is a met on my sternum  only small and they are confident it can be held with chemo and radio therapy I will be on tamoxifen and start denusomab in 3 weeks too  on calcium supplements now to

I am in Staffordshire

headache is worse tonight but its also a side effect of the Granocyte injections that I am having for 5 days post chemo to boost the bone marrow production of white cells .

apart from headache I am still loads better than I expected

Rowan

Guest user
Not applicable

Read treatment diary. Looks like i am on EC 100, whatever that means. Had to take something out of treatment due to my crohn's disease. X
Mariecay

I'm glad you both are feeling not too bad, it's making me feel much less nervous about the whole thing! Are you both on FEC? X
Mariecay

Hi hopeful, me too! Whereabouts are you from if you don't mind me asking x
Guest user
Not applicable

Yes! Wee was red between syringes! How the body works is quite strange. Does anyone get the feeling of the chemo in action. Could totally be in my head but almost feel twinges under my arm and lump like it is doing it's job. I haven't had any wine yet tonight before you think I've lost the plot!
Rowan44

Hi Jill26 , yes a few aches and and dull headache bit not much nausea apart from when I try to take paracetamol lol ,

yes my chemo sounds the same about 5 or 6 different bolus syringes  for the FEC 

couldnt believe how quick me wee turned red glad they warned me

all good  today too

long may it continue !

Rowan44

hopeful123

Starting my first chemo cycle on Feb 7th!
gold63

Hi - I am from September Stars and I finish my chemo in 6 days. I have used cold cap from the start. Although I thought I would lose it all (as an awful lot came out of first dunking - told this is becasue the first poisioning is a shock to the system) I kep on with it. Did develop a small monk like patch on top but was able to get away with a hat. After 2 months the patch filled in and even though it is a little thinner it looks completey normal. I have carried on working so it was important to me personally that I did not look like a chemo patient. My hair is naturally very thick but have been told thick or thin - can't tell who it will work for.

Guest user
Not applicable

That is great Rowan. Sounds like my experience as well. Just a slight head ache and ache bones. The process it self was so easy too. Mine was injected slowly by hand by one of the nurses. Wow! Patience!
Rowan44

Hi folks

had my first chemo friday morning the 29th , I am pumped up on Steroids , had some minor gripey pains on return home but no nausea and feel 100%  better than I ever imagined that I would

been drinking plenty of fluids tea and water and juice  and ate as normal tonight  it hasnt been as bad as I expected I really hope this continues but I am self medicating , just a slight headache

will keep you posted as the days go on but to all who are due to start soon please try not to worry and listen to the nurses who advise on how to get through it

Rowan

lowfatlovatt

Ok ive moaned about my hubby but not told you anything about me so here goes...Ive just turned 33, married for 8 years (together 19years) with 4 beautiful kids, freya 17 on thurs, meg 11 in 2weeks, noah 6 in april and ellis 5 weeks tomorrow, I was diagnosed with IDC grade 3 ER+ HER2-, had lumpectomy and nymph nodes removed, start chemo 4th feb, I know I must sound very matter of fact about things but thats how ive managed to get my head around it, ive been a complete mess the last few weeks, but im doing this for my kids cuz they are my life (along with the hubby)
Xxx
Mariecay

Been thinking about you Jill, so glad you've not been too bad. I can't believe you've done all that after having chemo! Hope I respond the same way! Lol x
Guest user
Not applicable

Still feeling not bad. No sickness, just achey. Had the CT scan, coil marker placement, mammogram, wig fitting and genealogy blood test as I am triple negative, all today. Knackered!