1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo in Nov 2011

Libralady

Re: Starting Chemo in Nov 2011

looool Kym - your mouse story had me laughing!!!!! and you didnt waffle at all....I just love having a good read of what everyones up to.

Yes Paula I do assume if I had cervical or ovarian cancer it would have shown on the CT scan....im still paranoid though...thinking what if the results were read by a trainee and they got it wrong!! I know it is silly to think that way, just cant help it.Its just this damn disease....it plays with ones mind and I doubt everything.

And SHAME ON YOU everyone who blamed your stinky wind on the dog and the teddy!! Come on...I mean.....THE TEDDY!!!!! looooool

I blame mine on the mousey! stinky little buggers! lol

Guest user
Not applicable

Troodles, so glad to know it's not just me! Horrid, isn't it.

Hmm, it's a tricky one Gill, but I guess having an illness likes this does make you sit up and think about whats really important in your life, and what you REALLY want. xx

Poor defenceless teddy! Lol

Kym x

gill13

whoa Kym - long post..lol but i enjoyed more mousie stories.

myself and OH have kind of come to an agreement to back off, and not see each other for a few weeks, his work commitments can keep him busy this weekend, so he won't come home, i've just reached the point where his work / home life is not compatible to mine. to be fair, his life is exactly how it was when we met 3 years ago, but i've had to take a long hard look at what i want and i don't want a p/t partner.

Laughing at the "wind" stories too, the teddy gets the blame here.

LL - fingers crossed for your smear results, i'm am so overdue for one, but there is no way i could face one at this moment.

Gill x

Guest user
Not applicable

Fairy - I think I stink after chemo, OH doesn't notice it but I can, if we wee it straight out, we must sweat it too. And yes it makes me feel sick too!

Guest user
Not applicable

BTW, does anybody else think they pong of 'chemo' for a few days after having it? I think I reek of it, but OH and kids say I don't. It's horrid, makes me feel sick :o(

Guest user
Not applicable

OMG, sorry, long waffly post - AGAIN! :o(

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies,
Just had 3rd EC yesterday, and can't sleep. Still, at least I'm not coughing. Didn't like my 2nd lot because I was robbed of my one 'good' week last week. Started with chemo throat, which then turned into a cough and cold. I normally have a night or two when I can't sleep for coughing, but this turned into five. Well naffed off! The doctor gave me AB's but wouldn't give me a suppressant. The chemo unit advised me to speak to a pharmacist instead. My husband did, and he gave me sleeping tablets. They didn't work either, and then I sussed I was actually having asthma attacks (night-time coughing was how I was eventually dx many years ago). So I upped my inhaler intake significantly - you're allowed to, so long as it's a short spell - and hey presto, I got a half decent nights sleep on Sunday. But now it's back to this. I look and feel absolutely knackered. I just keep telling myself this will pass, but Paula, you put it so eloquently when you described how all this makes you feel.
I have friends who have been through all of this, and are out the other side leading perfectly normal lives again and are very happy, and they all agree that the SEs of the magic juice are the worse. Its how it makes you feel, that your life isn't normal any more. But it DOES pass. And as for rumpy pumpy with the OH, you can forget it! TBH, it's been dwindling the last few years anyway (on my side - fellas are different tho, aren't they!), we've been together for 30 years, and I'd rather read a book! Thankfully, he can see I'm not really in any sort of mood right now - poor thing!
But sad to see how you are feeling PP - it's such a crummy time for you right now, so don't be so hard on yourself. Give it time, when all this chemo is over, there will be time enough to see if the relationship is difficult because of this, and you're not feeling 100%, or it just isn't working regardless. You too, Gill. x
LL, I'm sure what Lulu says is right. And I agree with Paula, surely your CT scan would have picked up on it. But I know it won't stop you feeling anxious until you get your results. Hang in there, x. Great to hear you found something that works for your cement tummy, not so great the SEs tho, lol. I admit I've blamed the dog on more than one occasion, lol, felt bad when he's been kicked out for polluting!
All the mousie stories have made me laugh! We had mice in the bathroom a few years back and I was terrified. When I found droppings in-between our sheet and quilt one day, I was horrified as it had been in our bed too! so I slept downstairs for 2 nights. Until the 3rd day, I was watching TV and saw a tiny mouse running up the wire on the wall behind the telly! Never thought I was a screamer, but boy! I screamed! OH thought it was hilarious, said he had seen the mouse running under my chair, and thought best not to mention it, but kept an eye on it, whilst I was oblivious. He caught it and chucked it out, but I was too scared to sleep downstairs then. What if it had been crawling all over me whilst I was sleeping on the sofa?? So back upstairs, but I was paranoid. We had a plant in our bedroom, and I was convinced I could hear rustling, and broke out in cold sweats. (I'd stuffed a towel under the door between our bedroom and bathroom), but the beggars can get thru a hole the size of a ballpoint pen, can't they?!) anyway, I was staring at the plant, and shrieked when I saw two beady eyes staring back at me. I made my husband run around the room chasing the thing while I was jumping up and down on the bed - he didn't think it was so hilarious then, at 3 in the morning, I can tell you! He got it, and I made him chuck it out the window. I felt bad. But not THAT bad. We invested in some mouse traps after that, and got rid of them. They came out of the fields beside the house.
I remember as a small child, my mum and dad getting us kids out of bed to come and look at little 'Topo Gigio' under the kitchen table (now, bet there's not many of you on the thread old enough to remember HIM!!) the little mouse was just sat there, having a wash, and we kids thought it was great!! We were'nt allowed pets so it's quite sad really, haha. Anyway, Topo Gigio was cute, but he started bringing all his mates in, so the mouse traps came out in force! I think if they didn't run around so fast, they wouldn't scare me so much.
Oh well, better try and get some shut-eye. Oh, someone asked what dx we all had, L4W?? (have you had your bird day-out yet?) I still don't know exactly, I'm going to ask my Onc when I see her on the 24th. (like others too scared to ask). All I know is:
Grade 3 Aggressive, 4 x EC, 4 x Tax, MX, then radiotherapy (don't know how many?), Tamoxifen for 5 years.
I love reading all the posts and hearing how everybody is getting on. But it's so hard to remember who said what. Nanny Jean has been ever so quiet tho? I hope she's ok, she had a bad time over Xmas. And Jackie, I hope you are feeling a little better now x, and you Lulu, you've had a tough time too recently, especially after your fall x
Kym xx

Daysie

LL - hope your smear test results are ok, wouldn't your torso scan have picked up anything suspicious in that area?

Omg i just remembered that i had really bad wind at the weekend, and my OH smelt it and I blamed it on my farty cat...lol he believed me 🐵 was sooo funny!!!

Nite nite everyone

Paula x

Lulu34

LL you get benign cysts on the cervix called narbothian follicles (sp) they don't do any harm but wise to get it checked cervical cancer doesn't tend to cause lumps its more a change to the cells.... I know you will be concerned but hopefully your results won't be too long.

I too have lactulose as well as senna and dyoctyl.... I am the laxative queen!

Lulu xxxx

Libralady

Yes I have read the C word - brilliant book and her blog is brilliant too. I learned in November she had Brain Mets.....so damn unfair, so very unfair, the girl hasn't even started her life proper, just married and hopeful to have children and now this.

Had a smear done today, earlier than usual, i was due my 3 yr smear in October 2012. I have an IUD fitted and i have to do a self examination every month to check the string and noted a small lump on my cervix a few weeks back, anyway, concerned I asked my doctor to take a look, she said it looks like a small ulcer which women can get on the cervix and she says it doesnt look like the typical cervical cancer lesion but has done a smear anyway and taken a couple of swabs. You know Ive gone down panic street again. Its like the breast lump "its probably nothing to worry about"....yeh, like the lump in my breast was probably a cyst!

A sleepless few days ahead me thinks!

I have also changed to Lactulose for my cement belly constipation....OMG! It works.....but OMG.....it gives you killer smelly wind.

I could no longer stomach the Movical, its the foulest taste and I gagged trying to drink it so I just stopped taking it. YUK YUK NASTY STUFF!

gill13

Hi Lulu

i've been reading a few bloggs on and off, so i think i may have read some of Lisa's, i got the book from Amazon & i'm gutted to hear that she has brain and Bone mets, and like you i hope her treatment gives her a lot more time.

the serialisation should be powerful watching..

Well i'm am going to head off to my bed, i've bought myself a kindle today, so have been downloading books tonight, i'm going for the freebies and cheapies to start me off

Gill x

Lulu34

Butterfly.... You put that you had dcis... But dcis is ductal carcinoma in situ and you wouldn't be getting Chemo for hat this maybe you meant IDC which is invasive ductal carcinoma.

PP what a tough time and tough decision..... I did split up with my oh about. Year ago after him being crap for about a year... He was great going through Chemo but then I became just a hassle to him I think and he actual would walk out a room if I went in..... I put up with it for months but then couldn't cope with his moods so asked him to leave.... We still officially together but were growing apart.... But we got back together again properly in the summer only I found out he'd been with somebody else 😞 and wasn't sure if I wanted him back or not and two days later I was diagnosed again.... But a few weeks later we did decide to try again and are getting on ok but it's not the same as it was and I doubt it ever will be.... Having treatment doesn't help on the intimate side of things either.... But I guess time will tell if it's meant to be..... I know its been hard on him too though and things we expected at the beginning of our relationship just won't happen... Like having a baby together..... Sorry major waffle going on there.

Gill Lisas book is being serialised for telly she mentions it in her blog... Do you read it? I'm also reading the c word but it is really just her blog from her website.... I know what you mean shell and although Lisa is still around at the mo she's been diagnosed with brain and bone mets so won't be around long term.... I really hope her treatment gives her a lot more time 😞

Mabeline sometimes tumours don't shrink much but the Chemo kills of the cancer cells inside..... Fingers crossed it works.

Mb your appt sounds not too dissimilar to my recent admission for an infection around my hickman line.... Thankfully I didn't need to go via a and e and was admitted directly on to the ward but they had storm damage and had only just moved to the ward two hours earlier and was all a bit chaotic and was there a dew hours before getting my bloods done.... Eventhough it wasnt busy I never slept and was so thankful to get home and have a decent sleep in my own bed... And my neuts were fine too so just on my oral abs

Rainbow going back to work is a very personal decision and can depend on the type of work you do and the support you get at work.... Last time around I had Chemo June-nov and then had rads Jan-feb and started back at work in the may... I was off nearly 1 full year from 13 may 09 to 10 may 10

Love and best wishes to all of you
Lulu xxxx

gill13

Rainbow,

just about your question about work, i'm planning on going back after my radiotherapy, my last chemo is 16th feb and will have rads starting 5th march, So its April return to work for me, and luckily thats when my full sick pay runs out.

i'm thinking of phased return, maybe 20 hours a week, for the first month then build my hours back up

MB - sorry can't advise on temp, mines be ok so far, but that tale is enough to put you off going to A&E

Shelle - the C Word actually makes me realise that i have got off very lightly with se's, emotions are pretty similar tho

And Ooooh i love a typhooo!! lol with maybe a choccie biccie 😉

Troodles - well done on going live with the hats

Gill x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know, we have gone live with the hats, they are now for sale.

Trudi

Guest user
Not applicable

Not been on here for ages, but I'm home alone tonight and thought I'd check in and see what's been happening for everyone. What advice have you been given about high temps? I need to offload. Mine was 38.2C on Sat night and I was Day 10 post chemo#3. I had a sniffle but otherwise felt quite OK, but went off to A&E as advised by my Onc consultant. He had told me to expect to get an initial dose of antibiotics; have bloods checked; and then depending on the results, to be sent home with more AB's if necessary. After initial temp/pulse/blood sugar check, it then took 2 HOURS to take bloods, and because cannula was badly positioned, when they attempted to give AB's the fluid accumulated under the skin so they had to stop. I pointed out that I have a portacath, but they 'didn't want to use it' for some reason. They said I was going to be moved to the Medical Assessment Unit and I'd get the AB's there. After an hour waiting in a cubicle a porter appeared with a chair 'to take me to MAU'. It was now 2.50am and I was shattered. I'd still had no AB's so might as well have been at home in bed! And I lost it - poor man! I said I'd been there nearly 4 hours - and needed AB's not a bl@@dy chair!! As soon as I got to the MAU it dawned on me ........ I'd been about to 'breach' the 4 hour A&E target for 'admit or discharge' so they needed me out of the Department before I became a statistic!
No, it's not cynical. My son is an A&E doctor (not at that hospital)and sees it happen everyday. Anyway, by the time I saw a doctor on MAU my blood results were back and my neuts were OK so didn't need AB's after all, but the doc apologised that I hadn't at least had an initial dose in A&E. I then had to stay for more blood tests on Sun morning, which were still fine, and finally came home for some sleep at midday on Sunday. I'm grateful I was OK, but if it ever happened again I'd have no qualms about making more of a fuss a lot sooner. OK rant over. Time for a cuppa.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello ladies,

I can never remember all your individual posts and names, so I'm sorry if I always sound vague! I'm feeling older than my 51 years! LL my sister loves Desperate Housewives. I must try and watch it. Paula, you were diagnosed same day as me, 6.10.11. What a day that was eh? One we will never forget.
Liz, I come from Clydebank, is that near where you are? I live in NOrthamptonshire now, but still miss Glasgow. I worked there for years and used to love spending all my wages in Lewis's and Chelsea Girl!!!
I had my third FEC today and was a bit disappointed when I saw the Onc. and he said my lump hasn't shrunk at all! Does anyone know if the Tax is stronger as he seems to think that will shrink it. I still feel absolutely fine but am waiting for that sickie feeling to come on, usually happens for me about 8 hours after the FEC.
PP I really feel for you and all of you younger ladies with young kids to look after and young husbands. I am in the lucky stage of life where my old man would rather have a nice cuppa, thank God. And I know how hard it is to get kids ready for school and all the washing, ironing, feeding, shopping etc etc etc - never ending. You are all HEROES. Never forget that. Nothing will ever faize you again in life when you get over this (note I didn't say If you get over this).

Love to all.
Mxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All

Does anyone have any idea how long after last chemo you should expect to go back to work? I'm having last chemo(fingers crossed) 2nd March and i'm eager to get back to some sort of normality also pay goes down to half mid Feb and am gonna struggle financially?

I still have eyelashes and eyebrows and i'm preying they stay, still having to shave legs which is a bit rubbish after loosing most other body hair!!

Seems lots of us having OH problems, mines been going on for a year and even i'm more confused than ever!!

Off to watch the soaps now for an escape from reality!!

Have nice evenings xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Just reading a book called "its not like that, actually by Kate Carr she was a journalist her writing style is beautiful.

The trouble with these books is that you discover" nine times out of ten" that the author has in fact died!! I have read the C word and what even the eyebrows? both are very good. I like to read them so that I realise everything I am thinking or experiencing is quite normal. Shelle x

Daysie

Hi Trudi

My OH is the other way after having too many brews he gets far too amourous! lol i don't let him kiss me on the lips during my vulnerable week lol, even a hug feels too much sometimes when I'm feeling sick, but I hate pushing him away it must be hurtful for him. He has the patience of a saint 🐵

I do know what you mean about not wanting our OH to get emotional about us, it's enough to cope without worrying about them too! When I was dignosed I told my other half that this was going to be a tough journey for me and that if he felt that he couldn't cope with what lies ahead he should walk away from me as I didn't want him to be distressed all the time, but so far he has been a rock and takes whatever I throw at him!

Have you all noticed how big our smiles are on our photos! Another war time song (not that I can remember the war) 'keep smiling through' lol

Paula x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for the soup recipe, packed filled with good stuff.

Does any1 have any ideas about when we should feel like going back to work, my last chemo is 2nd March and was hoping to get back asap just to get back to normal(ish) life. Also my pay goes to half mid Feb and i'm gonna struggle financially.

Starting to feel emotionally stronger today but have a mouth full ov ulcers (ouch).

Wishing you all as well as can be xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Paula - couldn't agree more with what you have put especially about relationships, don't feel in the slighest bit sexy and very despondent about the way I look. The other thing I find frustrating and I know he means well but everytime my OH has a few too many, he ends up in tears, telling me how much he loves me and hates this disease and I am just thinking tell me about it, I don't need having to support him cause he has got tiddly and emotional when I am feeling like s**t. I know he means well but it can get on top of you.

Trudi

gill13

seems we're all going through similar emotions, i've reached the point where i've also had enough of saying in fine / ok / not too bad, thanks. But if i really told people how i feel i'm not sure if i'd stop crying!!
i've started reading the "C" Word, its brought up so many of my early emotions from early days following dx, i think everyone who is in close contact with someone who has cancer should read something like that, it could help them understand what we're going through (has anyone seen an preview for the "C" word due to be on tv soon? i saw a glimpse but wasn't sure if it was from this book?)

Gill x

Pleasant1

An immune booster soup recipe (very quick to make) to pep you wonderful women up!
Just made it for lunch – amazing and really soothing on your poor sore throats.

Immune booster soup
1. Gently fry the following for 10 minutes in olive oil: carrots, celery, leeks, onion, fresh ginger, lots of garlic cloves (chop them all up and put in roughly equal amounts of the veg, a good chunk of ginger as this soothes the throat and a lot of chopped garlic)
2. Add water, shitake mushrooms, chopped parsley and fresh basil. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 mins and wizz it up.

Thanks for all your dx. It's made me realise there are so many variations on a theme!

PP: was so sad to hear of your troubles. Your poor man too as they are going through it with us mentally, if not physically, and find it terribly hard too and not easy to express their feelings. My man has lost weight and keeps getting ill with cold/man flu. Sure it's to do with him feeling low and very upset about it all but often the stress causes horrible rows. I hope you won't let your bc wreck your relationship as sure your man and your children must love and miss you terribly, sometimes they may not understand what to do and how to show their worry and love as probably feel so helpless. Obviously I don't know the dynamics and am just trying to help but sure you must feel awful and don't want to put my muddy boot in.

Ooops… gotta get off as friend appeared etc. Will try to get back on sooooon. x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies,

Chemo went ahead today yay so half way now thank god.

Had a good old cry to OH last night about how I'm feeling and he says he will go back to his mums for a while if I need some space.

Not sure what to do about leaving to go to my sisters till march, part of me says yes I need the space but I know how much I will miss the kids so that may make me miserable. Think I may just go for a week and see how I feel, I know I'd love a week in the sun but will have to wait for that.

Don't know about anyone else but I'm finding that all this extra time on my hands is a bad thing as my mind goes into overdrive and start thinking about the depressing stuff and with being poorly and delayed last week was the icing on the cake for my meltdown. I am going to try and learn a language as will give me something to focus on, must admit am feeling better today knowing that I've had the chemo although head feels a bit funny.

Hope everyone's doing well and thank you for your kind messages of support xxxx

Daysie

....just to add that I'm getting really fed up with people asking how I am and analysing me, I know they mean well, but then they add that they are surprised at how well I look with my weight loss and new hair!! grrrr.

One of my bestest and oldest mates eventually plucked up the courage to come round and see me before Xmas, I think she was too worried to face me and we talked for hours just like we have always done - at the end of the evening she said that she was glad that I was still 'normal' lol...I really don't know what state she was expecting to find me in lol. I am glad she has calmed down as stopped texting me every day to ask if I'm ok, there's only so many times I can lie and say 'yes I'm fine' when inside I'm in turmoil! After 3 months of living with the diagnosis I have just learned to keep calm and carry on...blitz spirit!

Ohhhh I didn't do the ironing - I started something a bit more interesting, last summer I bought some vintage and retro job lots of jewellry from ebay and I've just been sorting through the boxes of treasures and have found lots of things that I can re-sell as single items and further job lots, a nice little distraction!

Paula x

keepthefaith

LL I love Desperate Housewives - hadn't realised it was starting back, but glad you told me! I'm in tune with you now as my chemo will be Wednesday or Thursday too.

Daysie, Shelle is right - you did sum it up beautifully. I, for one, am feeling the same - about everything, in particular what you say about your physical relationship, I'm with you on that one too. So hard. And Shelle these flippin' hot flushes are getting to me too!

Somebody else said to me the other day "you're so brave", and I said - not really I'm just doing what I have to do in order to get through this. Brave?? these people don't see us when we're low!!

Josie, thinking of you honey. Let us know how you get on - us ladies are here to support each other, so keep communicating!

Liz - funny how you still have leg hair, mine went quite quickly. I'm just willing the eyebrows to hang on in there....

Guest user
Not applicable

Daisy you have summed up the BC scenario so well, I think the majority of ladies can identify with what you have just posted.

I see my oncologist this afternoon and have a long list of questions. I have my 3rd FEC on Wed and I must say the longer the treatment is the worse I AM feeling. I really miss work and the normal routine.

So many things have been put "on hold" makes you wonder if life will ever be the same again! I try to keep my sense of humour but with these SEs and constant hot flushes and lack of sleep I deny anyone not to get ratty. I'm so glad my children have grown up and I have no other dependants..............thinking of you PP xx sending a massive virtual hug.

By the way I love ironing, find it very therapeutic.
Shelle xx

Daysie

Good morning ladies,

I've noticed that some of you have been posting your diagnosis and ages etc.

I have Invasive Ductal Carcinoma breast cancer
diagnosed on 06.10.11

So far I have had a Bone Scan, CT Scan, Sentinal Lymph Node Biopsy (all clear results)

Treatment Plan will be Chemo 1st FEC-T (tumour quite large) Triple Negative 7-10cm in circumference.

6 chemo sessions, once every 3 weeks on Fridays, although I was told to allow up to 8 or 9. I've already 3 x FEC and due to start 'T' on 20 Jan. I've got my half way boob scan this Thursday 12 Jan to see how things are progressing.

Mastectomy probably end of March, then Radiation 15 sessions for 3 weeks then Reconstruction if I want one.

I was also diagnosed with Diabetes at my pre-op assessment and high blood pressure, both now under control with medication.

I've lost nearly all the hair on my scalp, I look like the cartoon person in confused.com :o( I've also lost the hairs on my arms and top half of my lefts, all other hairs still hanging in there lol.

I've felt sickly and tired during the first week after chemo and also can't stand for very long periods of time during the first week as my legs feel weak and achy. The SE's are not too bad for weeks 2 and 3.

It feels like I'm stuck in a nightmare that will never end, every week I seem to be counting the days to the next hospital or doctors appointment. I am not the person I used to be, I feel like I've aged 50 years, sometimes I get short tempered, emotional, chemo head, sad for the life I used to enjoy and sad that I can't plan for the future that I hoped for. I can't even think about a physical relationship with my OH as I don't feel like a sexy woman, just feel tarnished, I push him further and further away until one day I wouldn't blame him if he found a woman who doesn't have as many problems as I have now and will have in the months ahead.

I think that we all fear we have the worst kind of BC that anybody has ever had and we will never be the free of the alien invaders.

I want to work again but don't feel like going back to my old job, I would very much like to try something new, maybe a new business where I am my own boss, or somewhere where I feel valued, but feel any physical strenuous job is out of the question. I have spent hours looking at ways to earn money without leaving the comfort of my home, I dread the thought of losing my home and not being able to pay my bills. I know some of you are living alone as well and I wonder how you are managing to survive? I also sympathise with those of you who have to take care of young children and elderly relatives, it must be an incredible struggle.

Haven't I waffled on...back to ironing again lol

Have a good week everybody.

Paula x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladys have been out of action for 3 days now , am on 3xfec and hit me realy hard.
i to still have hair not alot but seems like its growing back weird eyebrows seem fine at the moment too.
Dont post very often but love reading about all your lovely posts ,oh just taking my 2 lovely dogs up the downs this morning.
my DX grade 3 invasive lobular , ductal invasive, and ductal in sit.
66mm in right breast double mastectomy as found somthing on mri on left breast ct scan , bone scan, they told me i had lung mets on ct scan so put me on tamoxifen then 10 days later was told there unsure so went through realy bad time , now on 6x fec with a view to scan me after 3 which is some time soon and am feeling alittle scared now as time is getting close have a scan on 18 jan but no date for results yet please please keep your fingers crossed as am so scared .
thanks for listerning ladys xx josie

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning November Ladies,

Hope you are all feeling better and have had a good night's sleep in spite of the steroids. Been up since 6 but feel good except for a little indigestion after breakfast.

KTF: Eyelashes and eyebrows still there but been thinning rapidly since Christmas. I feel that I have become somewhat obsessed with my body hair since mid-November! Still waiting for the leg hair to go - grr! Last night I felt bl**dy bristles on my chin but not enough to pluck - yet!

My Dx: Diagnosed IDC (left) 22/9/11, 2 days after my 61st birthday. Grade 3,3.5cm. no lymph nodes affected, Her2+. Mx 3/10/11. Chemo of 3 Tax plus Herceptin started 3/11/11. 3 FEC from 5/1/12. Then Herceptin for 14 sessions which I have just realised will not finish until December instead of October - chemo brain. To have hormone inhibitor but don't know which one yet - maybe dependent on clinical trial I am on, called SOLD, which is worldwide.

Blue sky coming through the clouds here just outside Glasgow.

Take care all, Liz.

Libralady

Yes my eyebrows are definitely thinning. We don't see them falling out like our head hair do we, we just notice they suddenly don't seem to be there in any vast amounts anymore lol

Im praying they hold on through the rest of my treatments.

Does anyone watch Desperate Housewives.....now downtown abbey is finished thats gonna be my fix. lol.

Havent watched last nights one yet though so if you do watch it......no spoilers please! lol

Hope everyone has a good week, my next chemo is Wednesday.

keepthefaith

Quick message for you, PP - hope you are doing OK - what a hard decision to have to make, we're all here for you. I do hope you have a comfortable and supportive bolthole while you are going through all this rubbish. Thinking of you xxx

Liz - it's weird about the hair, mine has never all entirely dropped out, but has wispy bits - I thought it was just short bits from where I shaved it, but I guess it's possible little bits could be growing back before they drop out again! How are your eyebrows and lashes? Mine are sparse but still there, and 2 more treatments to go. Also you are right what you say about friends. I too have had an enormous amount of support from people at my church.

By the way my dx is: IDC and DCIS in left breast, diagnosed 6th Sept 2011. Grade 1 (this may be upgraded to grade 2 after Mx), SLNB Sept 2011 1 out of the 2 nodes taken out were affected. Neo -adjuvant chemo plan was 6xTAC, but due to bad reaction, had 3xTAC and 1xFEC, 2 more FEC to go. Mx due end Feb, to be followed by rads and tamoxifen. I was 47 when diagnosed.Whoever said it was correct, a lot of ladies here in their 30s and 40s.

Hope Chelle and Trudi with the nasty SEs on the Tax feel better soon. Welcome to you, Rainbow, and love to anyone else I've forgotten (too many posts!!)

Teresa x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All,

So sorry you are all having such a bad time with SE and relationship problems especially PP. Maybe a bit of space is what you need until SE calm down.

I have been much better since Friday although only slept about 11 hours since I got up on Thursday - and that is on a reduced dose of steroids.

I noticed some wispy 'baby' hair sprouting from my bristly head this morning and have also noticed that my nose has stopped running. I wonder if my body has been fooled because I had a different chemo and it will all change back within a week or two.

I managed to walk about a quarter of a mile to church this morning but had to accept the offer of a lift back. I wanted to go because I get so much support from familiar faces and from some unexpected
sources. It is true that you can't rely on some people and some you would least expect are concerned.

Since dinner at 7 I have had 2 tangerines, 2 packets of hula hoops and an apple and I'm still starving - on to the chocolate, I think.

Hope you all have a peaceful night, minimal SEs and tomorrow is a better today for all of you.

Take care all, love, Liz. x

Libralady

PP - just sending you some love, that couldn't of been an easy decision to make but this damn disease puts one sanity at play. and yes maybe, just maybe a bit of tine away may make you think things through regarding your relationship.

I do hope your relationship stands the test of this awful time but only you know whether its right for you. Just letting you know Im here for you to sound off at if you need to....all of us are here for you and for each other.

gooseberrygirl

Good Evening Ladies,

So sorry to hear so many are having a rough time with the se's and also on the relationship front, this awful disease has a lot to answer for!
Makes the whole of life difficult, to say nothing of work and keeping a roof over your head. Then people keep on saying how you have to stay "positive" mmm sometimes I could scream if anyone else tells me this!!

I was diagnosed in August 2011, Lobular Invasive, Grade 2, MX in September, 15 nodes removed 11 affected, X3 FEC X3 TAX, Rads, Tax. I am 51.
Had lumps removed 18 months before ??

Bloods and Oncologist on Monday, First TAX on Tuesday, Have felt at worst after 3rd FEC, Oh well onwards and upwards

Love and Hugs to you All xxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

I am 40, ER+, ICS, lumpectomy followed by full mx as was what thought to be a 10mm lump turned into a 48mm lump with cells throughout the breast. 1/11 nodes affected. I think its grade 2 but they changed their minds so many bloody times I have lost track. 3 x FEC, 3 x TAX, possible 15 rads and then 5 years tamoixfen.

I haven't had a period since my first FEC which has surprised me as last time I had chemo I was regular as clockwork.

Headache thankfully much improved although i know its still there. We all seem to be having a rough time of it at the moment. Just got to think positive, (thats what I keep telling myself anyway! lol), the end is in sight.

Trudi

Lulu34

Oh chelle so sorry you are getting such awful effects.... Do tell the unit as they may want to reduce your dose next time. It sounds like you are really getting a rough ride.... But do hope things start to improve a wee bit for you.

Lulu xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All,
Well what can i say the Tax has hit me very bad, day 1 after tax i had the dreaded tax trots and just felt tired but since then have gone down hill, I feel so old and tired( I am 29 btw)my body feels so weighed down it is such an effort to move,I have been sleeping loads and have been having headaches and muscle and bone pains all the time. Today i woke with the worst sore throat EVER.

Sorry for moaning I just needed to get it of my chest and I am sorry i could not be positve about Tax maybe when i get used to the se's I might feel better.

My Tax infusion took 2 hours from the minuite it went in I know this as I was shocked that the nurse had set the drip for 2 hours though i slept through most of it

I start herceptin on Tues and was told I would be there for at least 6 hours because of the risk of an allergic reaction so that should be fun....NOT then on the 25th i will have tax and herceptin on the same day.

I just want to say just because i am having a bad time on tax you might not and might even find it better then fec

Chelle xx

gill13

Lisa - my little one has beem so good today, she washed the dishes (ok i had re-do them but she was willing) big one has not re-appeared from her night out and staying with friends, Not too impressed with her really as she knew i wasn't too well yesterday, i could have done with her taking little one out for a bit of fresh air really. Why do they have to grow up??

Rainbow - its never too late to join in here 🙂 and i have definately decided to go for full 12 months of herceptin, i know its tempting to get the treatment due and dusted, but it scares me to have it shortened.

As for relationships, mine still feels rocky, i'm not sure if i want to continue with things, at the moment i feel i have enough to deal with without having to worry about someone else, i need to put myself and my daughters 1st.
My older daughter has just got back with a boyfriend who i really don't like, this is after 12 months apart so i'm gutted about it, but i am just going to step back and have to let her get on with it. I'm hurt that shes been lying to me for the past month about it.

on the plus side, my se's seem to be ok at the mo, the weaning me off the steroids seems to be working for me and i'm not feeling too bad.

PP - Just seen your post, as i tried to submit mine, i really feel for you, my OH has never lived with me and we have no kids together, people don't / can't understand no matter how hard they try how we feel. Hopefully some time away might do you some good, Hugs xxx

Gill x

Guest user
Not applicable

LL not to sue as been having them constantly since starting chemo on nov

Have taken the choice to leave OH and kids till march, will pop back and see them every wk but can't do it righ now, feeling pretty awful about it but need my sanity xx

Libralady

Hi LAdies

How are we?

Went to Church this morning and of course, as usual I said a prayer for us all. Then went to Asda to get some bits and pieces as next weekend after FEC 4 I doubt I will feel like a trip to the cattle market that is Asda!

My Dx - Aged 42, HER Neg, ER +, Stage 2, Mucinous + NST carcinoma. (never asked about grade)
Treatment is FEC x4 and TAX x4. Mx then x15 Rads. Reconstruction if wanted in 12 months
Tamoxifen for 5 years

I also note how many women diagnosed are in their 40's and 30's!

Im laughing at all the mousey stories too.....I thought I was unique....clearly not. They are nasty little things and yes they love chocolate - thats what we laced our traps with - forget cheese, they love chocolate more.

Pink - sorry you are having a crappy week - is it the time of the month at all?...or perhaps should it be if your menustration has stopped? Im wondering whether mine will ever stop - I'm as regular as clockwork still. Its like nothing stops my ovulation cycle. I know when I am due on my toleration levels go way down and I could kill at will.

Off to stuff my face at TGI fridays in a bit......ive saved a MASSIVE space to eat EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! lol

lizzy - hope you pick up soon, I get achey on the FEC - always about day 6, all my limbs feel bruised and it lasts about 2 days. Im told the TAX can attack the joints.....have you got to phone the unit about your temp?

Gill - can I borrow your baby girl to do some ironing....she sounds like she's a willing young lady....and she comes very cheap it seems lol I have so much house work to do - and as she will just keep giving me back money I could be in a win win situation!

Thanks for the reminder about Wild at Heart - will set the Sky +

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All,

i'm in your boats too, been reading your posts for a few weeks and getting bits of advice.

I'm 37 diagnosed with BC early sept, lymps nodes removed late sept, MX middle of Oct, just had 3rd chemo a week ago.

My life has been a complete mess for a year with relationship problems and then the BC. Still no clearer with my relationship/s!!!

Chemo been horrid altho i seem to got off lightly compared with some of you.

1st and 2nd chemo i felt sick for 3days and then very irritable for 4/5 days and very low. 3rd chemo SE kicked in more, felt sick now for 9days, constipated and ulcers starting in my mouth.

I'm having herceptin and have also been asked about the trial, i was thinking of going for it to try and get it over and done with but will wait to read the info.

Hope its Ok for me to join in half way thru but i've really struggled this week and its nice to have support from people who are goin thru the same things.

R x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies,

I've been having a good laugh at some of your posts. It's great to hear I'm not the only one who's been stuffing her face. I thought cancer patients were supposed to look thin and frail - not this one! On the subject of mice, I remember once we had mice droppings in a food cupboard. I spread mice poison all over it and went to work, thinking I would clean it all out when I got home. When I got home, after a long tiring day, I poured myself a large glass of red wine, then decided to look in the cupboard and there, looking right back at me, was the cutest wee mouse! I screamed and threw the red wine all over me and the kitchen! What a mess.
Lulu, sorry to hear you had to have a spell in hospital but glad you are OK now. I have my 3rd FEC tomorrow and a meeting with the Onc so hoping to hear that my lump has shrunk!
Mxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks L4W been a bad week and I've been blowing up over the slightly smallest thing its so frustrating Im either in tears or angry.

I haven't felt like this even when I was DX, I've had good and bad days but nothing compared to how I'm feeling this week, still holding a grudge with OH about hairclips he wrapped up and put in my stocking on Xmas day, i mean was I meant to laugh coz it was so not funny!

I'm hoping I will snap out of it soon but who knows? Xxx

Lost_4_Words

Lizzy

Just take it easy, I found taking ibuprofen and then an hour later paracetamol helped unless you have anything stronger. Onc said any painkillers were ok but if your not sure ring your unit.

Take care
L4W

Lost_4_Words

PP

Throwing chocolates is a very bad sign!! 😉

Follow this routine:

1. stand up
2. count very loudly from 1 - 10
3. close your eyes and screw up your face
4. stamp your feet
and finally
5. Scream as loud as you can until you run out of breath...

I used this technique all the time when dealing with difficult customers 😉 I did leave the shop first or waited till they'd gone 🙂

As you've got little ones you may want to warn them first that mummy s just having a tantrum 😉

Hope it helps 🙂
L4W

Lizzy1977

Hi ladies, well I thought TAX was going to be a breeze compared to the FEC but whilst I have not had the nausea I feel about 90, very tired and very achey. I now have another sore throat and a temperature...great!
Lizzyx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies,

This week seems to be a really crap week to be fair, I'm putting it down to jan blues and delayed chemo??

My box of chocolates have just taken a flying lesson across the kitchen and I'm on the verge of throwing out my husband! I have got no patience at all at the mo 😞 xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Trudooles
I too had a massive headache after Fec 1, Onc prescribed Immigran for migraines and they gave fec 2 over a longer period and gave a bigger flush between each drug. this helped a lot, I only used the immigram once. Also advised to ensure I didn't get dehydrated without thinking, i.e loose stools and then not drinking enough to compensate.

Hope you feel better soon. Shelle x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone! I have nt been on in a while so I've been reading up on thye threads to see how you are all doing!
I had my 3rd FEC100 on Tuesday and it has knocked me for six. I spent all day in bed with a blinding headach (so Troodles I fully get where you re coming from!)-I 've just taken a couple of headached tabltes as I was still a bit funny when I got up. Its obviously the cumulative affect of the chemo thats doing this to us!
I intend to keep in touch with everyone as best I can via these threads-so we can keep each other s spirits up.
I ve taken the notion of moving house-have felt like this for a while now so am gonna see whats on the market-sure, it ll give me soemthing to do!!!!!!!!!
My onc mentioned something about changing my chemo on the last 2 sessions but I dont know whay-I m spose to be on Fec100 x 6 -I actually got talking to her at my last appointment which was still a bit rushed but she is very nice. Still has anyone else had this happen to them?Why would she want to cahnge me over, I ve no lymph node involvement so cant figure it out! Could be my chemo brain at its work again lol!!!!!!!!!!!! TA ta for now