1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo in Nov 2011

italia03

Re: Starting Chemo in Nov 2011

Thanks L4W for your advice and putting my mind at rest last night .
ive been reading some posts and realise that quite a few of you lovely ladies have moved on to TAX and are suffering awful SEs , i really feel for you all, but your right in what you say , we just have to try and push on to that finish line .

I saw my Onc today , i needed an honest opinion from her because they cant give me anything else after 6 xFec because ime TN.She was honest with me and gave me some Stats and percentages and i really needed that . Ime going to have a further MX my right side when Fec finished and i think thats the right choice myself as well .
Onwards and Upwards so they say , Ooo i think i fancy a chocolate fix coming on its only bloody 5 05 in the morning but whats a girl to do haha

Love and Hugs L4W

Jackie
xxxx

Lost_4_Words

Hi Jackie

Good to hear from you and glad #3 went ok, that's you past the half way mark, Yeaaay 🙂 🙂

Sorry you're feeling alone, you know we're here if you need us. I don't think your arm is anything to be worried about. I've had all sorts of weird aches and pains in places you wouldn't expect but I think it's just the body reacting to the stress of treatment. The back of my arm that's still numb from surgery gets a bit sore after each treatment and I've had the odd shooting pain but it doesn't last more than a few days and is sporadic.

Take it easy and be kind to yourself.
L4W

Lost_4_Words

Filosofie

Eeek, I'd offer to help but I'm allergic to wasp stings!!! Be careful it's not a queen looking for somewhere warm and cosy to start her new nest!!! You could tell OH you can't find it then have the bed all to yourself 😉

Do ring your unit and tell them if the codeine didn't work, mine said I could have something stronger if needed but they didn't want to give me them unless I needed them but there was no reason for me to be in pain.

That sounds like quite a tough regime but when you look back at how quick the last few months have gone it will fly by. I can't believe I've been off work 4 mths, I had mx Sept with SNB but didn't have full clearance cos only one node involved and so having rads to chest, axilla and neck. I haven't started my 12 months of Herceptin yet so I'll be around for a while 🙂

Hope you caught the winged beast.
Night
L4W

italia03

Hiya Nov Ladies
i havnt been on for a while , how are you all doing tonight ive missed loads of posts and have been a mess for 3 weeks since Fec 2 .

However went for bloods yesterday and was told they were ok 1.4

so had Fec3 this morning . Finally got Emend of them after i had a bit of a tantrum in there today so RESULT on that one ,feeling Pants tonight and cant seem to shake off the sicky feeling , and has anyone else suffered with there arm , feels like ive got dead arm and pins and needles in my fingers , is that normal girls and do you think my bloods were good to go ,

Sorry guys i havnt got any one to sound out about the worries to, this living on your own malarcky really sucks sometimes , i think Aww be lovely if someone was there just to say dont worry its gona be ok , just sometimes ,

thanks for listening

Love and Hugs
Jackie
xxxx

filosofie

Thanks L4W, it could get a bit lonely around here without you all. I'm having 9 chemo: epi; tax; CMF. However in Brum they are putting into practice some research findings and so I'm having rads after 1st CMF, delaying by a week 2nd CMF. So at least come 25th May I'll be finished except for the AIs. Had Mx and ALNC in October.

I'm def going to ring the unit tomorrow and try to get some stronger meds prescribed. Now have an enormous wasp-like creature flying around the bedroom. The roofers must have disturbed its winter snooze. Cats and OH have been banished to another room so I'll have to deal with it. Ho hum

Lost_4_Words

Yeaaay, way to go Lizzy another one on the final straight 🙂 🙂

If you're feeling up to telling, what was the Herceptin like? I've got my first next time (fingers crossed) and like you have been told I'll be there all day, just wondering what to expect. Did it take long or was it just done and then lots of waiting to check you were ok?

Lulu, I've always checked with my unit re driving myself and they said I should be ok, that's why I was a bit surprised that this nurse said I shouldn't. Problem is if I don't then I'd have to use hospital transport and that would mean spending hours waiting to be picked up or worse hours at the hospital. I don't like having anyone with me, daft I know but I just don't like being gawped at while someone sticks needles in me.

Liz, hope you have a lovely time with your son, just what you need to cheer you on to the end, it's in sight 🙂

Filosofie, don't worry we won't run off and leave you, how many sessions are you having? I think there's a few that are having 8 and Judes is going onto weekly soon. Hope you enjoyed your tea and the pain eases soon.

Hope everyone else is having/had a good day and good luck to anyone having their White Knights this week:-)

Lulu34

Hi Liz I will hopefully be able to make the one after that too as I will be finished by then as well.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lulu,

Revcat messaged me about the meeting but as it is 9 days after final chemo I don't want to risk crowds when my bloods are low. I hope to go the time after though so will keep an eye open for the thread. Thanks for the reminder!

Love, Liz.

Lizzy1977

Well chemo number 5 down. Had herceptin and 2nd TAX today. I was at hospital from 10am til 5:15pm so am now pretty tired.

Filosofie - i have had pain in my fingers which wore off at the end of last week. I also had some digestive tract pain but that got better. With regard to the pain in the bones my oncologist said subject to not having a temperature to keep myself topped up on paracetamol and ibruprofen.

L4W glad you were ok with TAX 2, I hope you have minimal SEs

I didn't sleep well due to steriods last night so am hoping that tonight will be better

Lizzyxx

Lulu34

Sorry head still a bit mince at the mo so can't remember who said what

but think it was kym asking about hairloss..... You tend to lose more on FEC than Tax, although it does vary from person to person.... The epirubicin E in FEC is the main cause of hair loss usually 100% hair loss but tax it's around 90% so some will lose more than others but not sure if it has a different effect from the cold cap... I still have a few wisps of lady garden on tax but had nada on epi.

L4W my pain tends to be at night and doesn't seem to make a difference whether I'm hot or cold.... Tramadol helps a bit but when it wears off I wake in the middle of the night.... It's mostly in my joints and bones.... But also started to get pain more often in fingers and toes.... My fingers feels like they just had pins and needles and it's starting to wear off if that makes sense.

Christine & Gail i have had the concrete chemo constipation taking dioctyl, senna and lactulose i started taking higher dose before chemo and still taking it but the other problem with tax is it can cause the runs so i need to remeber to stop it so i dont end up stuck to the loo... I have also been having really bad indigestion like something heavy sitting on my chest at night...

Gail there was a lady with a cold cap on in area 3 on Thursday.... I think there is only 1.... Iv only ever seen 1 person at a time.

Sharon well done you for working I just couldn't do it.... I can't even get out of bed for a couple of days let alone get dressed and get to work... Even if I did nothing when I got there lol.... I will be going down to half pay on 1 march but will just need to cope as I know i am too knackered and too tired and Chemo brained... Last time I was off for 11 months.

I will have lots of holidays to take next year too as only had 3 days out of 8 bank holidays and 3 weeks of 7 annual leave! Our leave year starts in April. But mum and dad are paying for a holiday for me, bf, kids, Sis and BIL and themselves so we are looking at going away for a week in June... Not sure where we are gonna go yet.

L4W I was told I wasn't allowed to drive myself for the first couple of chemos of each type as you don't know how your going to feel... My Sis was my Chemo buddy and took me to all 8 sessions and when I knew I was getting Chemo again she booked in for time off to take me.... Couldn't drive anyway as I'm just about asleep when I leave because of the piriton.

Sofie sorry your still suffering with the pain.... Maybe you need to call your unit or gp to get something stronger... Codeine is very constipating too.... Sofie I haven't heard that Chemo doesn't work so well with lobular.... As Far as I'm aware it's still pretty effective but will see if I can find out any more info on that for you.

Feeling better today and had a shower which was knackering but at least I'm clean although still, achy and nasty taste in my mouth... But that's me coming out the other side of the black hole

Liz are you in Glasgow? There's a group of Glasgow girls meeting for lunch on feb 25th.... I usually go but got an engagement party that day... It's in a thread called Ayrshire and Glasgow.

Love lulu xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening Ladies,

Sorry so many of you are suffering. I am sure it is the cumulative effect as I have felt worse for the most of the whole three weeks of the last two - I Tax and 1 FEC. 2nd FEC tomorrow so onc nurse suggested I take the anti-heartburn meds tonight and for about a week to prevent it happening again. I also have a plastic cup of water in the freezer to help stop the mouth ulcers. I don't like the Capri sun or ice lollies she suggested as I don't normally have a sweet tooth - but still making short work of chocolate!

I am just so fed up feeling like the stuffing has been knocked out of me. I'm usually such a positive person and I struggle to find that positivity now but this time tomorrow will only have one to go!

Also tomorrow my eldest son, who lives in Surrey, will be in Glasgow for two days of meetings so is coming for dinner and I've bought him a chocolate birthday cake as it was his birthday last Monday - looking forward to that!

Good Luck for all having chemo in the next few days and hope all of you who are suffering will soon feel much better.

Take care, Liz.

filosofie

Just waiting for OH to produce dinner. I don't think I could have managed on my own this week. I've given up on going to work/meetings this week and today have spent nearly whole day in bed. Pain in bones at bit better (trying to keep on top if it) but now have pain and sensitivity in fingers and feet. Also have the same digestive tract pain as I've had all along. Codeine did help last night but I'm still doubled up when I try to walk around. Can't see me taking the same dose next time, especially since I have lobular cancer which doesn't seem to respond so well to chemo. Very jealous of those with end in sight- my last chemo will be 25th May, 17 weeks away. Very frustrating to be so debilitated.

Lost_4_Words

Gail, I hope it's the same for everyone 🙂

One thing I didn't say and I don't want to scare anyone or cause worry but when I went for TAX #2 I drove myself, the thinking behind this was I'd been ok after TAX #1 and it saved OH taking a days holiday (he's running out!). I arrived as normal, had bloods, saw onc then went for my treatment. Whilst having the usual chit chat with the nurse she seemed quite alarmed that I was on my own so I told her I'd been ok with #1 and so thought I would be ok and she said with TAX I was more likely to have a reaction with #2. Have to say I was a bit scared for a while and started worrying about how I would get me & my car home but thankfully I was ok.

t.t.f.n.
L4W

Lost_4_Words

Gill re taking holidays, I've already been told they will expect me to take the bank holidays I've missed as soon as I can when I go back, they don't like us carrying them over into the next holiday year and as I had most of my entitlement left (had saved them for the NZ trip) I should have about 8 or 9 weeks next year + B/Hs. Don't think it's at all cheeky to take what you're entitled to and I'm sure they won't either 🙂

gill13

Kym - i've been on tax since beginning, and like i said, the patches which go thin do grow back, I think i've probably got off lightly with se's on the whole, I mostly feel tired now, and thats probably because i always wake up in the nights with hot flushes, and rarely get the opportunity to lie in.
the only scans i have to have are the heart scans, and thats for the herceptin, its prob as l4w says (your having your mx after aren't you?)

L4W - i'm sure i'll find a space for the rug lol.. and 6 year old would like to do one now too, i grudingly let her have a go on mine and she picke dit up quite well, so i'll buy her a simple design that she can do, she wants to do a dolphin, and i've seen one on amazon, just need to wait for pay day, as i've spent way too much this month!
re- northern lights i'm in wrong part of the country to have seen them, but apparantly they should be seen from down south too, they looked amazing on the news

Sharon - i'm going to wait until treatment is over, well the chemo and rads, so i was looking at beginning of april but then its eater holidays, so not sure what to do there, might just see if i can book 2 weeks holidays (but i feel a bit cheeky.

Off to help little one with her homework now, all about the solar system this week, we did constellations last week...

Gill x

Guest user
Not applicable

Fairy - I had mammograms and ultrasound after 3rd chemo. Onc had said before chemo I would get 6 to 8 cycles so she wanted to check how it was going before deciding. FEC obviously wasn't working as well as she hoped since she went for 8 cycles after that. I do feel a much bigger improvement on first TAX, probably more than all 4 treatments of FEC, so that will help keep me going through the worst of the SEs. From what I've read it's fairly common for TAX to shrink the tumours more than FEC, but I assume FEC also does some other less obvious good too (like hopefully it's stopped any micro-mets before they got a hold). Lulu has posted that sometimes chemo kills the cancer cells inside without shrinking the tumour. Some of the other November ladies have mentioned having had scans too and most seem to have had positive results.

L4W - you're giving me great encouragement now that it won't get worse with each dose. I found after the first cycle of FEC, I got to know when I was likely to start to feel better and became better prepared for dealing with the SEs. I expect TAX will be much the same, just maybe a bit harder.

Lost_4_Words

Hi Gill, yes takes me so long to type that you'd posted between, then when I'd posted I had food on my mind so went off for a snack and didn't check who'd posted while I was, glad to hear you're doing ok. If you're looking for a home for the rug I have lots of wall space 😉

Fairy, my onc told me less likely to lose head hair on TAX and that it could start to grow back, which it is 🙂 try not to worry about starting TAX, remember we are all different and although it has been more painful I have felt more *normal* all the time. I found the chemo fog on FEC very difficult to cope with so being able to concentrate again has been brilliant. What about getting yourself a project to do (like Gills rug) if you can't get about cos I actually found myself getting quite bored just sitting (until I got my iPad!! Still loving it :-)) re scans, have you had your MX? I think a few that are having surgery after have had scans to see how the chemo is working but my hosp don't scan again until after chemo is finished but before surgery. He said it's cos they don't decide on the op until after chemo has finished so it doesn't change anything (hope that makes sense).

Hope LL hasn't been swallowed by the fridge 😉 or worse still........ Tried to eat it, lol

Guest user
Not applicable

By the way, did anyone else have scans half way through their chemo to see how things are going? My Onc never mentioned anything about it yesterday, but I'm sure some of you have had them? x

Guest user
Not applicable

Yikes, £16,000 for the cold caps! Wow, that IS a heck of a lot! Gill, is your hair still pretty intact on Tax? My Onc said yesterday that it's the Tax that makes short work of your hair! Mines thinned underneath, and on the top too, but as yet, I can grip it up so you can't tell. I'm really not looking forward to starting the Tax at all, as I reckon I've got off pretty lightly with the EC.
Loved the video too x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello again ladies 🙂

Gill & L4W - Work has been ok. Most of my friends are there and it's nice to amongst them again. I did find it quite lonely at home and had far too much time to think and dwell on things. To be fair, they don't expect much from me, and my hours are very reduced, even though I do still yawn my way through them 🙂 I get Special Leave for my ONC review, chemo day and the day after, and once Rads start, I'll ask if I can get zapped in the afternoons, so I can work in the mornings. The impetigo was not nice 😕 or pretty! Luckily it wasn't on view and it passed quickly enough.

Hugz

Sharon xx

gill13

Hi L4W - I think i must have posted as ypou were still typing 🙂 you saying about the warmth making you ache more, reminded me that when i get aching legs, i don't get them often but its usually when i'm in bed, so i'd be all warm and toasty

Gail - yes the CC is still working for me, i was shocked at how much they cost, that is a lot of money! I am glad that i was able to use one and that it worked for me

Gill x

Guest user
Not applicable

Christine - I've been suffering more with constipation on TAX than FEC, but I think I've been my own worst enemy. I didn't take any laxatives on day before chemo when I started the steroids in case I went to the other extreme when I was having chemo. I found on FEC that once I'd come off the steroids the consiptation went too, so stopped taking the laxatives at that point as well for TAX. For next time I would definitely start them earlier and take them for longer. I took a major overdose of 3 x Laxido and 2 x Dulcolax yesterday to get things moving and have slightly tipped over into have a dose of the runs, but nothing too serious and it's been worth it. Would be good to hear from others ahead of me on TAX to see how long this is likely to last, not sure whether to risk coming off them again in case I'm back to square one.

Couldn't get comfy last night as felt too hot. Wasn't sure whether it was a sign of hot flushes or just the unusually mild weather. I suspect I've had the odd hot flush and didn't notice it because it was so cold.

On the more positive side, my lower back has been bothering me today but most of the other aches and pains have eased up a bit. I managed a walk up to one of the local shops which is the furthest I've gone since Saturday.

Looks like Edinburgh is about to get some cold caps from money raised by Moonwalk. Bit late for me and I don't think I'd have bothered anyway, but it'll be interesting if I get a chance to see one in action before I'm finished. The article said they cost up to £16,000 each so I suppose I can understand the NHS wanting to spend money on other priorities. Is this still working out for you Gill?

Lost_4_Words

Afternoon Lovely Nov Ladies 🙂

Sorry you're still suffering, seems TAX SES are different to FEC and I for one have been sideswiped by them, but (there's always a but) I'm day 7 post TAX #2 and although the last few days have been painful and I've felt crap I woke up this morning and I feel so much better. Tastebuds are returning, aches are nearly gone, fingers aren't as sore as last time, feet are better (lots of moisturiser) and head is clear.

Best advice I can give is get some strong painkillers, eat lots of cold food (ice lollies worked for me) to keep the tastebuds and for the first week take it really easy. One thing I did notice this time (may be coincidence) my bones hurt more if I got really warm! I've been curling up on the sofa with a fleecy blanket when it started hurting but noticed they just ached and ached for ages, yet when I didn't have the blanket on they seemed less painful! Also just after a bath (nothing better than a nice warm bath to make you feel better, I thought) I noticed they started to hurt so I reduced the temp of the bath and didn't have as much pain. I hate being cold so do tend to wrap up (OH will be in shorts and I'll have heating on full!!) and *normally* I can't be too warm but this time I've tried not to overheat and it seems to have been a bit easier, like I said could be a coincidence but it did seem to make a difference.

Diane, hope the CT went ok and they don't keep you in 'the waiting room' too long for your results. Enjoy your good weekend 🙂 and good luck for #2.

Sharon, glad to here you're doing ok 🙂 Impetigo ouch, hope it wasn't too sore. Been thinking about contacting work about going back PT but can't until after chemo (high infection risk) and then I start rads so with travelling I doubt I'll be able to for those 3wks. The longer I'm away it seems the less inclined I am to want to go back, I thought I would really hate being 'stuck at home' all day but I've quite enjoyed it.

Filosofie, hope you had a good night, def ring your unit if the codeine didn't work. My onc told me the idea is not to be in pain and they can give us something to control it, he said not to suffer in silence it won't make it work any better 🙂

Linda, my hair is growing too 🙂 I've held onto my eyebrows but my eyelashes have gone. I think the nail thing can happen during or after but hopefully you'll be fine now. Mine started within a few days of TAX #1 but haven't been as bad this time.

Trudi, I haven't had any headaches from the injections, probably all the paracetamol I've been taking for the pain! Try to keep hydrated, I found really cold drinks also help with the tastebuds.

Anyone heard from LL and Gill, hope you're both ok.

Hope everyone else is doing ok 🙂 Remember each day is one nearer the finish line and it's almost in sight 🙂

gill13

Hi all, we do seem to have gone quiet on here, i've been busy finishing of my Rug, i can't believe i started it so long ago and it has taken me less that a week to complete it! i just need to find somewhere to hang it now.

Sorry to hear so many have been suffering, i've not been too bad, Tax hasn't been too evil to me, No5 is tomorrow, and i'll be telling them i don't want to be part of the herceptin trial

Sharon - how are you finding things back in work? luckily full pay for me should take me to end of March and thats when Rads finish.

Christine - i was was a bit constipated after my 1st tax, after that i've been ok

Diane - good luck with your CT scan

i have decided to make a determined effort to stop eaching so my rubish, and stocked up on fruit, and trying to eat that rather than cakes and chocs, we'll see how long that will last 🙂

Hope everyone starts to feel better very soon, and i'm posting a link of a song "i will survive" the video is to promote BC awareness and features 30 BC survivors (it made me feel a bit emotional)
http://www.supportthefightagainstbreastcancer.com/i-will-survive-breast-cancer-awareness-music-video...

Gill

Guest user
Not applicable

Yes, its been really quiet on here. I'd hoped it was because all of you were out gallivanting and NOT the dreaded side effects of Tax 😞

Sending you all ((((((BIG hugs)))))) xxx

I went to see my Onc yesterday and she was amazed at how my boob looks and feels completely normal again, said it was excellent. I'd noticed it all looked normal before my last chemo (no 3). She also couldn't believe how much hair I've still got (altho disguising thin crown by pinning hair up on top). I was hoping she'd reduce my chemo doses and keep me on EC. But no, still have to have another 5 and still have to switch to the dreaded Tax at no 5. AND she said that one was a beggar for shifting your hair. Great. Will have to pull that b****y cold cap even closer to my scalp 😞

Hoping everyone feels better soon. I'm trying to get some work done on my decent days (self-employed) xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello lovely ladies

Just thought I'd pop in and say hello. Don't post often but do like to keep up with you all 🙂 So sorry for all you having a rough time, especially those who are having Tax. I'm not....I'm having 6 x FEC, and I had #5 yesterday. I can only empathise with you...and I do wholeheartedly. It sounds wretched. Big gentle hugz for you all and I hope you all start feeling better soon. Other than a few aches,pains and ferocious headaches after my Neulasta injection, a nasty dose of impetigo (please don't ask where!) and the overwhelming need to cry a lot...things aren't too bad for me...and the end is in sight. Last one on 14th Feb 🙂 Am back to work now on reduced hours as full time sick pay ran out. I think it's probably a good thing. Helps me feel normal...if that's possible 🙂

Anyway ladies, take very good care of yourselves.

Hugz

Sharon xx

3network3

Hello lovely ladies

Paula do you get constipated on Tax too? I had terrible problems with FEC and dread this happening again on Tax next week.

Reading through all the Tax SE suffering on here and like some of us have more Tax, I feel less lonley when I have Tax next week hopefully. It'll pass ...

Lots of love to you all,

Christine xx

gooseberrygirl

Hello Ladies,

So Sorry to hear so many are suffering the dreaded S/Es of Tax, I had 9 days of feeling awful, but have felt well this week, better than on the FEC so there is light at the end of the Tunnel and its amazing how soon you forget the pain, bit like having a baby.
Having a CT Scan today as have enlarged Nodes in my Stomach/Pelvis related to Breast Cancer, Has anyone else got a similar problem, Also have Pre Cancerous Cells in my right Breast, so there looking at them as well....Fun Not!
2nd TAX on Tuesday all being well hoping it is not as bad as the first so intend to make the most of the weekend and feeling well.
Good Luck to all having Chemo Today x
Diane x

Daysie

Not a good day for a lot of us, so disappointing that we have been floored by the latest chemo.

Filosopie - I don't know how you managed to even think about going to work, I know we have to pay the bills somehow, but you need to take it easy. I've had the most horrendous aches and pains, which seem to have worked their way through from the shoulders down my arms down my thighs and ended up in my shins and feet, i could barely walk the last couple of days, legs were wobbly and the soles of my feet very tender, I found it hard to sleep because of the throbbing, I've been in bed most of the day, only managed very small meals, have been up for a couple of hours and think I'm starting to feel slightly better, I did some foot exercises and that's helped. I haven't taken any pain killers at all since chemo, but definately going to ask for some next time around.

I think FEC was easier on my body than Tax, other than with FEC I got constipated and sickly the first week, I've lost my appetite with Tax but know it's important to eat little and often. Sugar free jellies with pineapple and banana going down very well for desserts!

I hope everybody feels better soon, there has been a noticeable absence in postings this week. I have been very down this week, starting to feel more like a victim and helpless. Especially when the district nurses called in yesterday to check I was ok, that worried me quite a bit, but understand they mean well. I guess I just don't want any fussing, have been so used to be independent. I was even thinking zimmer frame this morning :o(

I'm going back to bed again now to try and catch up on all the lost sleep of the last 3 days!

Nite nite everybody

Paula x

filosofie

Lulu I have some codeine left over from Mx which I'll take tonight. I was told it was ok to take para as long as I checked my temperature before taking, and to take ibuprofen at same time. I'll phone them tomorrow if I can't stand it. Glad others are affected less.

Guest user
Not applicable

Good evening ladies

I am feeling so much better now, Im still on the anti-biotics and my temp seems to go up and down but so much better than last week.

I am just really hoping that nothing stops me from having Chemo no 5 on friday.

Good luck to everyone having their chemo this week.

I think on each occurrence of chemo it seems to top us up which is perhaps why it is affecting us more as we are going along ?

I dont seem to have problems with my nails yet with TAX, is that something that would have happened by week 3 or is it something I still have to come ? My hair is slowly but surely also starting to grow, though my eye brows have decided to fall out.

Instead of feeling like 47 I feel more like 87 at the moment ...

Hope you all have a lovely evening with minimal side effects...

Linda
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Guys so sorry you are all suffering so much, I have just taken last lot of steriods so guess ite my turn next. The thing I am dreading the most is the headaches from the injections and coupled with all the aches and pains you have all been getting, have a feeling its gonna be tough. Only 2 to go though, got to see it through to the end....

Trudi

Lulu34

You got anything stronger? I'm taking tramadol we are not to use paras at my hosp as it masks a fever.

I'm very sore too and having another day in bed.

Love lulu xx

filosofie

Terrible pain and have had to go to bed all afternoon again. Went to work this morning but it was a huge relief to get back to the car and get home at lunchtime. All your warnings were right - don't know if I'll be able to do this again. Nurse told me to take paracetamol and ibuprofen which I'm doing but don't feel much relief.

Pleasant1

Hope everyone's exhaustion and other side effects are improving.

I watched the documentary about a woman director with a thyroid problem who then discovered she also had a cancerous lump. Bit odd as it was billed as though she was a cancer sufferer but she didn't have chemo and it was all about her thyroid symptoms. She played the cancer card good and propper!

Like Judes' idea about us meeting up for some type of power walk much later in the year. I'm South West area but don't think anyone else is. We'll have to think of somewhere everyone can manage without too much travel…

Trying to accomplish something today, i.e. immunity booster soup, marmalade and/or e-bay? Spent money in the sales I now realise I can't actually afford so must get some spondoolies in somehow. ;-/

Hope PP is OK and will feel like posting us all soon.

Love to all x

Lost_4_Words

Evening All

Sorry to here some of you are suffering, hope you're feeling brighter soon 🙂 remember each day we get through is one nearer the finish line 🙂 Be kind to yourselves and take it easy.

Anyone heard from PP? If you're out there know that we're thinking of you and will be here whenever you need us.

Fairy, everything stopped for Corrie tonight 🙂 (ok so I'm sad) Becky was such a good character and I love a happy ending 🙂 Hope she comes back one day.

Well, have to report that TAX No.2 has so far been mildly better than No.1. As Lizzy said my onc told me to take paracetamol & Ibuprofen and monitor temp. I don't like taking tablets normally but he also said it's best to keep on top of the pain rather than wait till it gets really bad so take them regularly for a few days and if they don't work I can get something stronger. This time he gave me co-codamol and I took 2 just before bed last night and although I didn't sleep right through (toilet breaks) I was much more comfortable. Today I've just rested and taken it really easy and my bones ache but they don't feel as bad as last time. Started my jabs today (brave girl!!) and hanging on to my taste buds at times, I've found if I drink very cold water just before I eat (guzzle, don't sip) I can taste the food better but dry food tastes better than wet, weird! Fingers are not as sore (hope I haven't spoken too soon!) but feet are very dry and soles are tender.

Got 3 more hosp appointments before next chemo!! Another MUGA scan, Radiotherapy pre-scan (will start 5th Mar, 3wks) and Cardiologist wants to see me again before I start Herceptin to see how the Tramipril are working (so far so good) and haven't dropped my blood pressure too low.

Lulu, got the mint thing going here too, after I devoured 3 boxes of after eights I moved onto extra strong mints but spearmint rather than peppermint (bit milder). If I carry on like this I'll have no teeth left, lol.

Anyone see the 'Northern Lights' tonight, was supposed to be a really good one and I missed it 😞

Time to prepare for bed, stairs are so steep that I need to make sure I have everything with me cos I dont want to have to come back down till morning 🙂 Night all, sweet dreams
L4W

Guest user
Not applicable

Paula/Lulu/Sofie - sorry to hear you are suffering. Take care and look after yourselves. Sending you big hugs. Also to everyone else who is suffering side effects.

No 5 chemo for me tomorrow, I'm back on FEC so hopefully I know what to expect.

I did have trouble with my pre chemo blood tests today though. Went to my local cottage hospital for blood tests this am as usual before chemo. This afternoon was called to go to the main hospital where I have chemo to have one of the blood tests redone as it had been incorrectly marked. Had to get OH out of work to take me as I am still not up to driving yet after my last chemo. I am still feeling ever so tired and exhausted. I had been hoping for an afternoon nap as I had been busy all morning trying to catch up on paperwork and phone calls.

Good luck to everyone else who is having chemo this week.

Fairy - I watched Corrie as well. I was waiting all the way through for Becky to make her announcement - I thought she was going to do it in the church.

Love to all

A xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Yeah I agree, Becky was a great character. They say that revenge is a dish best eaten cold and it was great the way they strung it out. Corrie is the only soap I watch, can't bear Eastenders it just makes me depressed.

Had another day neurotically checking temperature every hour. Tomorrow is day 14 for me so hope I can begin to relax a bit more after that. Have truly been in chemo hibernation today and barely moved off the sofa. Even sent my dogs to my parents so I didn't have to walk them. Not feeling too guilty about it as they are there every day when I am working and love being out ont he farm with them.

Hope everyone's se's are better.

Debbie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh heck, really sorry to hear so many of you are suffering bad side effects - so looking forward to starting Tax. NOT. I really hope you all start to feel better soon and that those aches and pains peter out soon 😞

LL/Lisa, just realised you're on 8 doses too. When is your last chemo? Mine's 23rd April. That's if everything goes to plan of course.

I'm on my 3rd 'good' week when I feel relatively normal again. It's great, because I didn't get a good 3rd week last time around due to having a rotten cough which I couldn't shift. I didn't sleep for 5 nights in a row, so was knackered when I had my chemo. I'm out for 2 nights on a trot this week, will I hold up?!! Will I wish I was at at home in bed?? flippin hope not! My taste buds are still dodgy, and tea and coffee both give me indigestion and make me feel sick.

On a lighter note, anyone watch tonight's Corrie when Tracey and Steve got their comeuppance??? It was brilliant! Go Becky! Unfortunately, she HAS gone. Will miss her, great actress!
Hope you all manage to sleep well xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Paula and Lulu, sorry your se's so bad, guess I might have to expect that in a few days. Sorry you had a wasted journey Paula, chemo head is a much under rated se! I had a pizza the other night, put the plate and fork in the empty pizza box and put the whole lot in the bin!

I have started to wade through the first box set of 24, never seen it before and its fab, planning on probably watching it most of the night as double dose of steriods keeping me rather AWAKE!

Trudi

Daysie

Oh dear we're not doing very well! Glad your chemo went went today Trudi, I was at the hospital but when I got there chemo head realised it was 12.00 on Wednesday derrr, so wasted journey.

I have been in bed most of the day, absolutey shattered, ache all over, legs like old womans :o( will need zimmer frame at this rate! Going back to bed again, need some sleep!

Nite nite everyone

Paula x

3network3

Lulu, loads of hugs, it's just awful this chemo throat. People often ask me when they hear chemo if I feel sick, I say "No, but there is a catalogue of worse side effects to chemo than sickness!!"

Filosofie you too :(. Bed's the best place. Hope you can sleep and feel better tomorrow. Hugs to you ((( xx )))

I drove up to one of my favourites spots today Loch Ashie to walk the dogs, on the way i had classic radio on and they played a lovely piano piece, I just had tears running down my cheeks thinking about what lies ahead of me, maybe more bad news, it's cancer after all. I like to share the piece with you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr4FN_DOpSk&feature=related

Lots of love to you all from Christine xxx

Lulu34

I'm here reading rather than posting much cos I'm feeling pants. Been in bed all day. Mouth very sore and sore throat too. Temp is fine though. Aching all over and generally feeling a bit naff.

Hope you ladies are coping ok xxxx

filosofie

Feeling really awful this evening, aching all over. I managed to get to work this morning but have just flopped this afternoon. Off to bed soon I think - oh dear.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All,

That'll be the steroids, Troodles!

I am feeling good now but I know it won't last as next chemo on Thursday. Still got not much energy but hope to do some housework tomorrow as I know I won't feel like it for a while once the next lot of steroids wears off.

After reading about Linda and Audrey in hospital I realised I was complacent as well and not going out much now. It is quite scary.

Paula - glad you have the diabetes under control and hope it stays that way. it's a worry you don't need.

I have had hip and foot pain since Tax 2 but not so bad with FEC - took about 2 weeks before it started.

Take care all, Liz.

Guest user
Not applicable

Crikey, my OH thinks this chemo is wonderful, I have done a big shop, cooked all afternoon, washed up, cleaned the cooker...........

I have pointed out that I probably won't feel like it in the next few days which is why I am doing it now! lol

Guest user
Not applicable

Christine - Tongue and throat have been a bit sore, but manageable with Difflam, gums are Ok so far.

Guest user
Not applicable

1st Tax down, feeling ok at mo, did a big shop at Asda on way home.

Paula - I got out at 12.05, did pop into waiting room to see if you were about, Mr Epurescu must have been on time!

Let you all know how the next few days go.

Trudi

Hugs to all. x x

3network3

Gail has the Tax been bad to your gums yet? That one I dread most.

Christine xx

3network3

Just barching (sp?) in quickly, I had one period four weeks ago after two FEC's but now there is no sign of it. No hot flashes yet though, I'm such a cold fish kinda looking forward to feeling hot in my life for a change lOL

Day 13 today and feeling quite good really except less energy. Taste buds trying hard and partly win, partly not.

Trudi hope all goes well today with your 1st Tax.

Audrey I'm kind of similar, being really very careful generally (except last week I got a bit more forgetful, things are going too well probably), but just shows us it can happen very silently, neuts go down and we're not even aware of it.

Hope all goes well for everyone today whatever we're up to,

lots of love from Christine xx