cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo in Nov 2011

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Starting Chemo in Nov 2011

All the very best to Teresa and Weme for Thursday! Its great that you are both at the same place at the same time, have you both met before? (and Teresa, glad to hear you had a lovely time at the Eden Project last weekend, and good thinking as re the wheelchair - I'd love to go there too, one day).

Butterfly61, Lulu - I can't use eyedrops (like you, Lulu) coz my immediate reaction is to shut my eyes. Can't even bear anyone coming at me with a masacara wand! so for the first few days after chemo, I resort to wearing my driving glasses to do stuff, like watch tv. It does get better after 4 or 5 days.

Filosofie - are you out of hospital yet? 😞

Lulu - how is your arm?

Gill - all the best for phase 3! Nearly there!!

Lisa - how are your hands doing with the aqueous cream? I have a deep treatment machine for hands and feet, and your hands look just like they do when your hands have been dipped in the wax. I couldn't believe it!

Well done to all you ladies who have finished chemo, or are coming to the end of it (Troodles!) Paula, is your last one on Friday too?

Gingersmithy, that must have been a helluva relief for you as re the lesion on your hip. I'm amazed you got as far as the car park before you had a good cry!

I went to see my Onc this morning and nearly did a triple somersault when she said, 'Oh. Only one more to go!' before she then said, 'oh. no. you're having another 3'. When I asked why I needed another 3 (I had half hoped that they would reduce the number especially as my lump seemed to completely disappear after chemo 2), she said, 'blame the americans. If you have a mx first, you only need 6, but if you have the mx afterwards, you need 8'. Que? Is that true of all you other ladies? My surgeon certainly never mentioned that to me when he gave me the 'choice' back in October! (altho he told me that if it was him, he would have the chemo first - which is what I ended up doing). But there was no mention of why some have 6 or 8, back then.

But finding all this so hard now. Now I understand why some people have to be dragged into the chemo unit! I've had it up to here with no taste buds, not drinking (supposed to be 3 litres a day - doubt I manage that in a week), horrid indigestion, hot sweats, cold sweats, aching, feeling exhausted, crying . . . and I've also had a sense of humour bypass. Not sure when that was taken, must have been when my back was turned! Yes, feeling mightily sorry for myself. Which is ridiculous, when so many of you are having a REALLY bad time of it!!

I've changed my picture now - hated that horrid pic of me with the coldcap on (yes, Pleasant1, did look like a riding hat!) I hasten to say, this is NOT me, I ain't got to looking QUITE that bad yet. I posted a letter at the letterbox down the road (its nailed to a fence and almost hidden by bushes), and when I looked back up, this really nosy alpaca/llama had popped its head up to see what I was doing. Frightened me to death, but couldn't stop laughing so took its pic, as it wasn't for running off anytime soon! (should be grateful it didn't spit at me, I suppose).

Kym xx

weme

Hi all

I've been told it will be a walk to theatre. I asked about pre meds but they don't do the at my hospital, so old fashioned according to them, I did say I didn't mind not being fashionable but it didn't make any difference!

Thanks for all the well wishes.

Weme

gill13

All the best to Teresa and Weme for thurs, i'm another who walked to theatre, i had hoped to go home the next day, but ended up staying in for 4 days.
I'd say don't plan to go home to quickly, the surgeon would have let me go straight home, but nurses were saying stay as long as i felt i needed. I went home with 2 drains still in, which was not a problem
you will be well looked after xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello November girls,

Just dropping in from the Dec thread to share some good news and wish Teresa and Wendy good luck for Thursday.

Good news is that I saw the onc today for MRI results and they think that the lesion on my hip is benign. I was so relieved that I cried in the car park before I could compose myself to drive home.Can see some light at the end of the tunnel now and more able to face first Tax tomorrow.

Teresa and Wendy - when I had my WLE they would only let family stay for 20min. I also walked down the corridor to the 'pre-theatre' ward. They were all really nice and put me at ease. I was so scared because it was my first op for about 25 yrs! I shall be thinking about you both and praying that all goes really well.

Good luck to Paula too for your last chemo. Just look how far you have come. Its great to have you ladies leading the way for us December girls and sharing all your experiences and tips. Thank you all.

Debbie x

Lulu34

Theresa and Weme

Wishing you both lots of luck for your ops on thurs.... I wasn't allowed somebody either although did have somebody stay for previous surgery but just asked where on the list I was and what time roughly my op would be as I would go and sit with my mum and come back for the op.... Don't think they were too happy but worked out ok for me.

I was wheeled to theatre and was in the daybed unit but came back I was on the proper ward as wasn't getting home the same day after all as I had a drain in.

Take care

Love lulu xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Tersa and Weme, all the best for Thursday, I also walked down to theatre and was home the same night, I hope the surgery goes well and you can get home quickly.

Paula - good luck for Friday, your last one! yay.

I went for a 3 mile walk yesterday with Mum and Dad, have tried to keep it up throughout chemo so I am geting some form of exercise. I only managed a mile and a half though, was shattered and difficult to get breath, I guess probably to soon after chest infection. I did recover in time for a pint and some lunch on the way home. lol

Just hope I get over it enough to have my last one on Monday!

Trudi

Guest user
Not applicable

Teresa and Weme - good luck for Thursday. It will be good that you can wait together. I don't like to tell you, but I wasn't wheeled off for my MX - I had to walk to the theatre, dropping off my overnight bag on the way, as I was admitted into one area and then wheeled to the ward after surgery.

I am (hopefully) getting over the se's of the last TAX. For some reason, although I am tired I am really struggling to get to sleep of a night. Being able to report how good the tv is at 2am is really not good. My lymph nodes are struggling to cope with this last lot of chemo, so I am very swollen under my armpit. It happens every chemo but seems to be a bit worse each time.

I hope everyone is recovering from their recent treatments and the se's are wearing off.

Sue

Libralady

Teresa - glad you enjoyed the eden project, havent been myself and its great you enjoyed it using tne motorised chair.

All the best to you Weme and Teresa for thursday. I will be following you after my chemo ends. How long has or will it b between finising chemo and the op? Also, is it a day case or will you be in for a few days?

keepthefaith

Hello ladies!

Hope you didn't miss me too much during my sojourn in Cornwall, which was a lovely weekend away. Teenage daughter a nightmare until Saturday when she had a good sob, then she was much better on Sunday! We went to the Eden Project on Sunday, and my legs were still really achey, so the pre-booked motorised wheelchair was very useful, and meant I could really enjoy the day, instead of being exhausted with all the walking. We did keep making jokes about Stavros, leader of the daleks though! Anyway the nicest thing, the robins in the biomes are really tame, and one of them landed on the handle of my wheelchair, and sang in my ear! there's a photo dd took, I'll try and get it uploaded. I didn't look at other people much, but kids said there weer quite a few "pity looks". Ah well.

Anyway Weme I haven't heard that people can't stay with me on Thursday - I hope dh can. Anyway don't worry, hopefully you'll have me there with you, I will hold your hand until they wheel you off. You can hold mine too! I have given up worrying, I am just kind of trying to resign myself to it... Not good, but we will get through it.

I had a really good session with the onc on Thurs evening before I went to Cornwall, answered all my questions, feel comfortable now, if not exactly happy!!

Oh Lisa I looked at your photos - you poor thing, that looked nasty - hope the next one is not as bad for you.

Sorry not to address everyone else individually, but thinking of you all.

T xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Lisa - Hope the aqueous cream stops your hands getting any worse.

Lulu - Don't feel guilty about missing chemo on Thursday. Much as I'd like your company it would be really selfish of me to wish any more chemo on you. I think you've already had more than your fair share.

weme

Hi All

So much to read, I do keep up with everyone and I hope you're all feeling better this week after such a nice weekend. I've been for my pre-op assessment today and I think it will be all systems go on Thursday for mx and anc. I've been told that they are limited on space so I can't have anyone stay with me whilst I wait for the op so I hope I will be in first! This bit I am worried about, wasn't so worried about chemo or rads which will come afterwards. Still suffering with my fingers and toes being a bit numb/sensitive (how can they be both those things at the same time, it's wierd isn't it?). Taste buds are mostly normal, still have a craving for extra salt but hopefully that will wear off soon. I had my last chemo less than 3 weeks ago so maybe I am hoping for too much too soon. The tiredness hasn't gone either and it's still a struggle up the stairs sometimes. Better get on with a bit more work, there's no rest for the wicked!

Hope everyone has a good week.

Weme

gill13

Hi Ladies

Sofie - really hope you're allowed home very soon, being stuck
in hospital doesn't sound like much fun at all

Lisa - hope you're hands don't get any worse

Linda - have you had your tamoxifen? i forgot to ask about it on my last chemo, i'm guessing they'll give them to me when i go next for my herceptin, hoW is it that you're having it at home? will a DN administer it for you?

Lulu - hope you taking it easy today after your busy weekend

I woke on saturday feeling much better, checked my temp, took some paracetamol and went to Liverpool to the exhibition, i was hitching a lift with my parents so no driving, my sister was really pleased i'd go and she sold 2 of her 3 paintings which were in the exhibitions. i'd had enough by the end of the day and was in bed by 9.30..

i had my Rads planning this morning, it was all a bit surreal, with all the machines! And i got to bring home a sexy purple gown with velcro fastening! oh yes, i got my 3 new tattoos, which are so tiny that no one would ever notice them

Ready for phase 3 to commence xx

gooseberrygirl

Hello There Ladies,

I hope everyone had a good weekend, weather was fantastic here in Salisbury, went to the coast and sat in the sun with Fish and Chips then ice-cream, was simply brilliant, went on the back of the bike cocking a finger to this Cancer Krap!
It is good to get to the end of the Chemo, nasty mouth, sore finger and pains, but Yippee last time, Lisa, my hands peeled as well, in some places cracked and bled, ended up wearing cotton gloves in bed, through, 2/3 not so bad but still careful.
Lulu Glad your lump was OK. Know what you mean about overdoing it, seem to pay for trying to be normal.
Filosophie,So sorry to hear you have had 8 days in hospital, Yuk, I really hope you get home soon, Cancer Wards are not nice places to be, big ((Hug))
Good Luck to all having treatment this week x x

Lulu34

Linda just wanting to say good luck with your appt today... keeping my fingers crossed for good news... and well done finishing the chemo hope you start feeling a lot better soon.

my daughter is 21 next month and my son is gonna be 18 in sept so have a busy year of it although DD doesnt want a party or anything special for her 21st. just a family affair.

your grandsons comment about naked babies did make me LOL.

sofie sorry you havent managed to escape yet... hope your temp gets back under control again soon.

gail good luck on thursday hope all goes well... i feel a bit guilty for not joining you but not that guilty... i think ill be having a cheeky wee glass or two of red on Thursday.

Lisa sorry to hear your having hand problems again.... let them know that its bad again but hopefully your neuts will be fine this time.

i was out all day yesterday with the glasgow ladies then back to edin and out with my OH but think i over did it a tad and was knackered today with very swollen legs (and a very podgy tummy!) but also noticed swollen arms but then realised its only one arm on my current side and looks like i have mild lymphoedema as it is pitting 😞 hope it doesnt get any worse.

much love xxxx

Libralady

Just popping in to day hi. I see we are quiet on here this weekend, hopefully everyone is just chilling out and any SE's are minimal.

My 2nd TAX has bought about itchy hands again so I am slathering them in aqueous cream in the hope that i ward off any skin peeling issues again. My hands are terribly sore and cracked and I cannot tolerate touching anything hot.

Anyway, watching Law Abiding Citizen....brilliant film

Hope everyone has a great week and hope to get everyones update over the next few days.

Love to all

Lisa

Guest user
Not applicable

Lisa - Oh your pictures look so awful. I hope you don't go through that again.

Sofie - Fingers crossed your temp comes back down soon.

Lulu - I'm so pleased your ultrasound didn't show anything up.

Linda - Congratulations on reaching the end of chemo. Are you getting scans before you go on to surgery? I'm not on Herceptin but know another woman at work who has just had her last one and had it done at home, so maybe that's fairly common.

Guest user
Not applicable

Good Morning

Well the good news is they let me have my Chemo no 6 on friday .. way hay... I felt like throwing a party though it was 7.30pm when I came out.. Now on to stage 2 and surgery. Should be in March .

I hadnt realised that because I am already on Herceptin and I will miss my 3 weekly cycle (have to have it within 7 days) that next time I have it, it will have to be the booster one again and I will be for a good few hours. The good news is though after that one they have out sourced patients having herceptin and I will be having it at home in the future... Cant believe its more cost effective but all to do with VAT ! madness.

I start tamoxifen in 3 weeks aswel, so its all go.

ONC has given me the option aswel to either have rads every other day for 6 weeks or every day for 3 weeks, plus go with a trial where they give you a booster at the same time . Has anyone else been given this option ?

On the SE front, its only sunday but I think its going to be a day slouching. My face is absolutely red raw and I just didnt sleep at all. Ive sent the family out as I am in just one of those moods !!

Lulu, so glad everything was ok when you had your scan, I am hoping the same for me tomorrow when I see the surgeon. I think I am just being alittle paranoid but as everyone has said its best to be safe and get it checked out.

Lisa, poor you.. seriously those photos looks so painful. We all get such different side effects dont we.. Loads of hugs coming your way.

Sofie, sorry to here you are still in hospital, its not so bad if you get wifi and a side room 🙂 but I know from my experience I didnt have the patience to read a book and I watched every soap going on the tv.. got hooked on 90210 and one tree hill, how sad was I !!

Pleasant, hope your hot and cold sweats start to ease off, yah lets hope in a good way we never have to step into the chemotherapy chair again..

Gill, I hope you start to feel better soon. I am sure chemotherapy seems to give us a constant cold :-(. I would imagine you missed the exhibition in liverpool which was such a shame.

Well I am looking forward, its my daughters 21st birthday in July and we are having an open house party here at home so I have got to start some sort of planning for that over the next couple of months.

The mice in the loft seemed to have disappeared... watch them jump out at me when I get the camping stuff down in May 🙂

My son and daughter in law are having a baby in June,, though my grandson who is just 5 asked the other day in shock. Nan does the baby really come out naked !!! it did make me laugh.

My two beagles are being as naughty as ever and instead of having a back garden I know seem to have what looks like a footy pitch..

And mother in law is cooking sunday dinner and bringing it over.. what more could I ask for.

Hope you all have a good sunday and I will catch up later

Lots of love

Linda
xx

Libralady

Morning all

Hi Sofie - yes I know that feeling of being in a 4 bed bay - which hospital are you in....QE?

When I was in QE I also noted many people were at advance stages. So you neuts are OK? - I know that when I was in there were insistent that my temp had to be normal for 24 hours before they would consider letting me out. Its such a damn drag. Have you got good company in the 4 bed bay?

I remember the view from the 4 bed bay in QE was naff - it was of the inner ring of the new building....absolutely nowt to look at but through the windows of the other wards and rooms - I found that quite an issue - they should have used privacy glass. The single room view on the other side was of the city. I also noted there were a lot of Philippine nursing staff at QE, they were lovely staff though. One of my favourite nurses was little mad mark, a young male nurse but with a personality one can only laugh with.

I really feel for you Sofie.

filosofie

Lisa they won't let me go until my temp has been stable on IV antibiotics for at least 24 hours. It was 38.7 this morning and they've just taken another blood sample to culture so that will be 48 hours. On Monday they'll probably do a CT scan. So Tuesday is the best I can hope for.

When I was in here for my Mx it was great. I had a side room with an interesting view. This time I'm in a 4 bed bay and it's like trying to sleep in a multi-storey car park. Also, I know this sounds awful, but even though it's an oncology ward, few people have BC and most are at a much more advanced stage, so I find it all a bit depressing.

Libralady

Craap sofie......you must be stir crazy up in that place desparate to get home. Really sorry you are still in there....have they given you any indication of when you may get out?

filosofie

Hello again November pals.

Here I am still in hospital, day 8 of my incarceration. They removed my beloved PICC line which was the source of the infection apparently, but temperature is still spiking (39 this morning) so they're going to start looking for other problems. Btw I am the controlled experiment for the Neulasta injection. I haven't had one with my tax and did suffer really bad pain in my legs including the joints and lesser pain in my pelvis and back. However I had an injection last Sunday to try to boost my immune system and suffered excruciating pain in my lower back, but nowhere else, and had to be given morphine to control it (now my cocktail of choice).

Sorry I haven't been able to catch up with everyone and I guess I've missed Jean until her next connection. I can have some empathy with you Lisa, even though I haven't managed to have such a spectacular reaction to treatment yet. Paula are you still on course for your final tax next Friday? My Onc is still optimistic (perhaps she's just fed up with having her judgment questioned and wants to do me in). All my bloods are apparently normal now so who know what's going on.

No wifi in here unbelievably for a new hospital. Not even a hot spot in the café. So I'm peering at my iPhone for Internet and email but have had to set up a complicated system of passing on documents on which I'm working to my OH to email back to appropriate people. However that's better than just sitting here being a cancer patient.

Good luck all. May be able to give some helpful advice on Mx when I've managed to catch up with all the posts.

Pleasant1

Oh no; I've got hot sweats closely followed by cold sweats – ye old Yew (Taxus) tree poison's begun its business inside my body… Periods seem to have given up on Docetaxel too.
Thankfully it was my last chemo – hopefully forever; so even thoughts of things getting worse this week before they improve is bearable.

So sorry to hear all your sad news Jean. What a emotionally and physically exhausting year you've had and a terrible endurance test. Life's so tough at times words can barely express…

Lisa, your rash and hands must be so sore. I can't believe they've given you the same full dose 2nd time around! I only had 90% again this third time as they said they didn't want to worsen se's as it would make no difference keeping it to 90% as against 100% as not an exact science etc; doses just go on body mass.

Liz, hope you continue to improve and quickly. At least this is your last one too isn't it? I've also found day seven a low one throughout.

Linda and LuLu hope yous two had a straightforward day.

Gill, hope your cold improves this weekend.

My brain's full of chemo and my memory seriously bad to reply to you all… I do remember chuckling about Fairy's riding hat look last night. No! You didn't actually write that did you? I just always think you are wearing a riding hat!

I wore wiggy to chemo today; to mark it as a kind of special? occasion and got some pics. Can you believe I've not met one other woman down there with breast cancer in the whole four months? It's all been old men on my day; although sadly two younger ones today. I asked where the bc sufferers were as was wishing I could actually meet some. They said they go on Thursdays and Thursdays were too busy to fit me in!

I watched BFG Weddings too last week; those poor ponies racing on the hard tarmac wasn't nice. They do it round this way along a bypass – MAD! Tonight it's been Melvyn Bragg's excellent series and now the Review Show. What a combo… rather balanced me thinks!

Right, best off before this balance swings with my steroids, droopy eyes, chemo brain and odd swaying moments… Not to mention all the stewed prunes, pears and the chick pea dahl I've consumed in a bid to alleviate tomorrow's constipation…
zzzzzzz's? I doubt it! x

Lulu34

Liz it's my broken bones that hurt most... Broken ankle, broken toe, broke finger and broken ribs... Ankle and ribs are worst.... I just figured it was the neulasta and that maybe I had weak points from the broken bones which the neulasta made more noticeable.

Kym I have hypromellose too..... And Carmellose.... Have also tried lumecare and lacrilube which are both a bit thicker so they are good for staying put but make vision blurry so I prefer the watery ones that just make them feel less gritty and stingy.

Gill sorry your coming down with the cold hope it stays as a cold and you don't get an infection.

My ultrasound was normal today... Wasn't even a cyst but was a prominent lobule. My Mammo on Monday was also fine. So all was good.

Thinking of meeting the Glasgow girls for lunch tomorrow if I'm feeling ok in the morning.

Love and huggles
Lulu xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Afternoon Ladies,

Fairy: I have had blurry eyes off and on since 2nd chemo but only lasts for up to 5 days at a time. I was prescribed eye drops but can't bear to use them. I only once had a 'leak' but have had to rush to the loo for the other department more often last time! Hope you are soon feeling your real age.

LL: Like Kym and Lulu I have had the one-off Neulasta the day after and the only bone pain I have had I don't think is connected to it as it is in the bones I have had previous surgery on. OMG your rash/swelling looks horrendous - hope you are feeling better soon.

KTF: Enjoy scooting about Cornwall. Good luck to you and weme for mx next week, good you will be in same hospital. I had no problems with mx although they kept me in for 3 days because I had a drain in. However, I was allowed to go out with my visitors the next day.

Lulu: That is so odd about the oestrogen! Hope all went well today.

Linda: Do so hope your last chemo went ahead today and your SE are tiny.

Gill: Hope the throat clears up soon. Probably wise to miss the exhibition especially as you are suffering.

Yesterday was the worst day I have had! It started on Tuesday and built up until I could barely move yesterday. Felt as if I had been floored by a juggernaut and had to save energy for even more frequent trips to the loo (glad its downstairs). I tried to sleep but couldn't - perhaps I was too tired. Thankfully I began to feel a bit better after dinner and slept well last night. Although I am still exhausted I feel so much better than I did yesterday so hope the worst is over.

Hope I haven't missed anyone - apologies if I have. Hope all SE are tiny and all this will be a distant memory soon.

Take care all, love, Liz, x.

PS Two daffodils flowering in my garden today - only 400+ to go.

Libralady

Kym - i know thats what my sister said, it looked like id dipped my hands in wax.

My lower back is very achey this evening, dont know if its the tax or the filgastrim jab, had the 2nd one today. Hoping some ibruprofen will help

Guest user
Not applicable

Aww, thanks, Lulu, but like everyone else feel about 90 right now 😞 I know we have to go through all this, but it's just awful. I hurt all over and am feeling very very sorry for myself. Thank heavens I knew it was coming, and that its quite normal, thanks to all you ladies on here, coz the nurses don't REALLY warn you, do they.

And Lulu, hope all goes well today. Thinking about you.

Oh my, Lisa!!! Both your hands and your rash look nasty. I hope to goodness you don't get a reaction like THAT again!! Your hands almost look like wax 😞

Gill, sorry to hear you're coming down with a cold - hope you feel much better soon!

It's quiet on here again. I guess those nasty SEs are kicking in for all, either that, or you are all out enjoying this lovely weather. Feel like a child, gazing longingly out of the window, wishing I had the energy to move and do ANYthing.

Kym xx

gill13

Hi Ladies

Linda - fingers crossed all goes ahead for tomorrow, and glad you getting that lump checked out

LL - O.M.G.... that does not look good! so glad things are better now, well better than they were

Lulu - hope all goes ok today for you

I am full of cold at the moment, feel rubbish, i had planned to go th liverpool tomorrow to see an exhibition which my sister has some paintings in, but am now thinking best give it a miss as this is my low immune time, if i was feeling well i'd go.
what a nightmare, my nose has run before i've even realised it!! throat is still feeling a bit rough too, unit said it may be thrush in the throat, back to the nystain, yuck!

Hope everyone has a good weekend xx

Lizzy1977

Linda, yay for your last chemo :)hope the SEs are ok

I'm beginning to get over my last TAX. Still got the horrid mouth but the aches have finally stopped. My fingers are now permanently numb so I hope that goes away soon.

night night lovely ladies
Lizzzyxx

Lulu34

Oh Lisa that looks awful... Both your skin and your rash.... Hope it's getting better.

And thanks I'm sure is fine too.

Lulu. X

Libralady

Thought Id post a picture of what the TAX did to my hands - just awful

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/Dualheritage/Randoms/IMG-20120223-00633.jpg

And this is what the antibiotic did to me - this rash was all over my body except for my face. My legs swelled up too which you can probably tell, they still aren't back to normal, my trousers won't fit me.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/Dualheritage/Randoms/IMG-20120215-00606.jpg

Libralady

Lulu - just want to wish you well for tomorrow. I pray tonight that everything will be ok for you, I'm sure it will.

Lisa
xxx

Lulu34

GG I get cold flushes too and its actually them that wake me up rather than the hot ones.... Basically it's thought the temperature gauge in your brain that tells you when your too hot or too cold has shorter parameters... So if you normally felt comfortable between say 35 and 38 but because of menopausal symptoms you feel too hot or too cold if your temp goes lower than 36 and higher than 37... These ar ejust made up figures to demonstrate what I mean.

Linda good luck on Monday.

Take care ladies

Xxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Good Afternoon ladies.

Has this all changed or is it me. There is now a topic review underneath my comment box. This could all be chemo brain and it might have been there before - who knows..

Jean, I just wanted to say as has everyone else, my thoughts and love is with you. You have had such a terrible time .xxx

I followed the advice on here and I have an appointment with my Breast surgeon on Monday, the BCN thinks its nothing to worry about but they like to check anything that has changed.. I think i am quite paranoid anyway as the breast with my tumour seems painful literally all the time.

I have been and had my bloods done today and would like to think because I havent had a phone call I will be okay to go in but they didnt check them before the chemo day last friday. So fingers crossed I will be having no 6 chemo tomorrow.

Those talking about sleep, I really dont know what it is at the moment, the lump, the last chemo, the thought of surgery, plain my hubbies snoring but I just dont seem to have slept at all this week.... I feel absolutely shattered but my mind just wont seem to shut down and i seem to be checking the clock every hour.. Cant wait til I get my IPad in April at least I will have something to play on 🙂

Teresa I hope you have a great time at the Eden Project, we went last year and spent ages there. Though I am sure something bite me in the tropical bit as I came out in such a rash !!

I hope everyone is feeling okay and not too many side effects.

Linda
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Jean - So sorry about all your bad news. Hope you can get internet access again soon.

LL - Hope you have an easier time of it this cycle of chemo. Like Lulu I'm not sure which pain is caused by the injections and which by TAX. I mostly get it in lower back and in legs and feet and starts night of injection or next day.

Lulu/Linda - Keeping my fingers crossed it's just a cyst. Would seem a bit odd to get a new tumour while on chemo.

Kym - What a horrible time you must have had with the cold cap. Are you the last one to finish chemo? I'm finishing on 22 March but will also be hanging around for you. My rash hasn't gone yet but it looks more of a plum than a red colour now and it seems to be clearing from the middle rather than the edges, so is a bit like a donut. It still isn't causing me any problems so I think I'm getting off lightly, might be tempting fate to say that though with another 2 still to go.

Paula - I might be having my Mx in April. I've a clinic review on 3 April so will hopefully know more then. Onc said I might get rads before Mx depending on how much chemo has shrunk the tumours.

Libralady

Nite gooseberry

Im awake too but i have been to sleep, hope u manage to get some shut eye.

I will take everyones advice and take a couple of paracetomol when the nurse arrives before my jab.

gooseberrygirl

Good Morning Everyone,

Well havnt been to sleep yet...but whatever!

Daysie, re the Waters breaking thing,I have been having something similar since starting on TAX, Very worrying.. Been doing pelvic floor excercises too, thoughts of prolapse crossing mind, Hope its just a weird SE' Please!!
Hot Flushes Bad enough, If I ever did get any sleep they wake me up, Also seem to get cold flushes too..Gets even more WEIRD! anyone else get this?

Jean so sorry to hear of your troubles, Keep strong and a great big one of your ciber hugs your so good at giving coming right back too you ((Hug))x

L/L Surprised they didnt give you injections at the start as you were so poorly, as the others said take pain releif before as is harder to shift if you leave it too late, I start my last lot today, usually do it about 6.30pm to get it over with. Good Luck with se's this time round,

Gonna try to sleep now, had Ovaltine and toast....More food Help!! no wonder were expanding! Might read a bit of book'How to be a Woman, Catlin Moran' feel I need all the help I can get at the moment, won National book Award but so far a bit of a struggle....Ramblin now

Night Ladies x

Lulu34

LL I was on pegfilgrastim (neulasta) which is the one off injection the day after chemo same as kym .... I take tramadol for pain and not sure how much is caused by the gcsf and how much is from the taxotere... It's worst during the night.

Not everybody's periods stop on chemo and not everybody's stop on tamox.... Mine actually got heavier and more frequent when I started tamox... We are all different.... With respect of the oestrogen you would expect more women in their 40s would get BC than at any other age as women in their 60s and 70s it's about 10-20 years since they last had a period but BC is more common in older women.... Also hormone negative cancer is much more common in women under 50 with lots of oestrogen than women over 50 who no longer have high levels of oestrogen... Lots of it doesnt make sense and there still so much we dont know... They might decide to alter your treatment after chemo if your still having periods though as some oncs will give you zoladex to put your ovaries to sleep but other oncs don't think this makes any difference.

Kym can't believe your going to be 50 you look far too young!

Take care all of you lovey ladies

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Everyone

Libra Lady - I had the district nurse come in and give me filgastrim (gcsf) injections after my last chemo, also had a couple more when I was in hospital and I had them the first time I ended up in hospital and I didn't suffer with any bone pain but I had been warned about it. Perhaps it is like all side effects, we don't all suffer with all of them. Well done on having Tax 2 - look after yourself and fingers crossed that everything works out well for you this time.

Keepthefaith - Have a good time at the Eden project. That was a good idea to book a mobility scooter. Would never have thought to do that. Hope all goes well with your op next week. Will be thinking of you. I start my rads that day.

Slinky - I didn't have a masectomy but had a lumpectomy in July and a further op in September to remove some more breast tissue and all my left arm lymph nodes. I used a V shaped pillow as well couldn't have done with out it. I also found it helped to rest my left arm on a pillow when I slept.

To those of you talking about eyelashes. I haven't had any eyelashes for a while now. I do feel strange without them but I don't think I could wear false eyelashes, I wouldn't be able to put them on straight. Most of my eyebrows have gone as well, just a few straight hairs left. On a positive note the hair on my head is starting to grow again but ever so slow and just in patches.

Goodnight to you all.

Take care

Love
A xxx

weme

Hi All

Lisa and Paula, I am having my mx on 1st March which is 3 weeks after my last chemo and the same day (and hospital) as Teresa (Keep the faith). I've read about the V shaped pillow and must look into getting one as it sounds like it will be useful. I am also have recon at a later date because of rads, not discussed any type of recon at this stage.

Jean good to see you back, hope you can get back on line soon.

with regards to the injections, I found taking paracetamol half an hour before the injection stopped most of the ache and pains, I also found that they weren't so bad by my third dose of chemo, not sure if I just got used to it or the pain wasn't so bad.

Lulu, good luck for tomorrow.

Anyone else I missed I apologise, we are all nearing the end of this phase of treatment and will be glad to see the back of it. I'm not looking forward to surgery but as with the chemo, we just get on with it don't we. My fingers and feet have been quite sore this last TAC and it doesn't seem to be shifting but most other SE's have now gone thank goodness.

Weme

slinky

Hi Girls, I am popping in here from chemo in August,

reading your post reminded me of my last Tax zap, I had mine on 25th of November and had mastectomy on 21st of December. It all depends on your blood results....I dont want to give you advice , but I have a V shape pillow and it was a god send for me after I got back from hospital.. money well spend... just a thought..

I am now at the end of my Rads (15 total), only 3 left... time to get on with my life.... 🙂

wishing you all best of luck xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh, that's interesting, Trudi! I always thought you had to stick em onto existing eyelashes! will look into that!

Lisa, I've always had the Neulasta injection the day after all my chemos. Never had a problem with them, but don't know whether it's the same thing as you're having? The nurse told me on Monday that if I didn't have any aches with that, then I may be ok as re aches with the tax. But feel so tired today, and my neck and knees are starting to tingle and ache?? Weird.

Paula, my last tax is 23rd April (if everything goes to plan and there are no hiccups). I spoke to the BCN about it yesterday, and she told me its usually about 3 to 4 weeks after when you have the mx. I told her, pleeaaase don't let it land on my 50th birthday!! (18th May). That would be tooooo mean!!! Happy Birthday to me - NOT!

Kym xx

keepthefaith

Hi all

So sorry to hear about all your problems Jean - it has been a very difficult time for you, and welcome back.

Audrey - we are going to the Eden project at the weekend as we are away in Cornwall, and I have booked a free mobility scooter - I suddenly realised that it was unlikely I will have the stamina to walk miles around the site and would probably end up in a tea shop waiting for the family like I did when we went to a National Trust place last week. this way I can stay with them and not be exhausted. The man I spoke to there couldn't have been nicer 🙂

Lisa and Paula - I am having mastectomy next week on Thursday 1st march - am totally bricking it. They gave me 4 weeks between chemo and surgery, which is why we're having this weekend away. At my pre-admission check I got to see the prostheses which was quite err, interesting I guess - I think i am still slightly in denial that I will have a squidgy silicone boob for a year or so until I have recon (if I do have it!) I bought a load of "hidden support" vests from Primark for £2.50 - I don't really want to have one of those massive bras with the pockets yet (although I have ordered from M&S) - then I can pin my softie in the vest. Luckily I'm not massive (34B) so I often go bra-less anyway (certainly since diagnosis) and so it should look OK. Are you two having reconstruction at the same time or later? I have to have it later she said because of the rads, and an implant wouldn't work as it would be too "pert" compared with my other breast, sapparently i need soemthing a bit more droopy to match (thanks, surgeon!!) so she suggested one of the ones where they take bits from your back. I'm not worrying about it now - that is for later, but I don't think that future plans affects the Mx - the other way round I think. I am also having node clearance - are you as well?

And Lisa yes as someone else said, pop a couple of paracetamol with the jab (I take mine just before) - does the trick with the joint pain.

I am still getting horrible hot flushes - flippin menopause or as you say it is chemopause? Wonder if periods will start again before they put me on tamoxifen.

PP good news on test results - that's a relief at least.

Apologies to all not mentioned idividually - will be back in touch after our weekend away.

Teresa xx

Guest user
Not applicable

I have never used false eyelashes before so it was interesting! They actually stick to the lid not your existing lashes so they can be used if you don't have any. My first attempt managed to stay on nearly all day lol. Sure I will improve with practice.

Trudi

AnnieK68

Hi Ladies,

Just popping in from Sept as we are a bit quiet there at the mo!

Libralady - I read that you are filgrastim injections, I had them too. The bone pain isn't nice - I got around it by taking paracetamol as soon as I had the injection - I took the view it was before the critical time! If I needed it, I would take ibruprofen an hour or so later. I found the first day was always the worst and may need to take tablets a couple of times that day, other days it was just with the injections. For some reason, it's easier to medicate for the threat of pain, rather than medicating once you actually have the pain (if that makes sense?).

Hope you get on ok with the injections!

Hugs

Axx

Libralady

Paula - I reckon my MX will be towards end of May....how long do they leave it after chemo to do the surgery?

Libralady

Hello my lovely ladies

Tax No 2 done. Had a good chat with one of the oncologists about my horrid month from hell, I know there is little she can do but she was very calm and took the time to listen to every moan I had stacked up. The one thing she has done is decided to give me that injection after every chemo to try and build up my white cell count in an attempt to stop me being neutropenic this time round....lets hope it works as I so don't want to end up in the hospital again as it seems they always end up keeping you there for a minimum of 5 days. They have booked the district nurse to come in and do the jabs, its called filgastrim or something like that. the nurse advised me that I may get bone pain from these jabs.......arrrrrr just great eh! HAs anyone else had these jabs.....any advice? when will the body pain start? is there anything one can do to help it?

Jean - its so lovely to hear from you and Im so very sorry about the losses you and your family have suffered in recent months. Its very humbling isn't it....life is so precious and its not until someone has been given DX of cancer does one begin to realise just how precious it actually is. Life can be so short. and when I feel low I always remember there are people who are much worse of than I am and I soon manage to "have a word with myself". Im also sorry that you yourself haven't had a good time with chemo and only pray it can get better for you.....you are closing in on the end of chemo soon......youve (we've all) come a long way. Remember Jean, (and everyone) whenever you are at your lowest point, they only way is up.

Trudi - most of my eyelashes have given up the ghost, but funnily enough no-one can tell, only me, they only notice when I bring it to their attention. Does anyone else find no-one can see the eyelash issue, I think its when the eyebrows give up that we look "odd" But then I have quite a few friends whom have very sparse eyebrows anyway from over plucking over years et and they pencil them in anyway....so when mine give up, I will be looking to them for some one to one lessons on drawing on my face! lol. Hope you enjoyed your walk hun 🙂

Kym - they haven't reduced the TAX dose, they have told me to continue t take the Vitamn B6 fir the hands and feet issues and see how this months TAX goes. If I'm bad again, they will look at adjusting TAX No. I guess.

Audrey - Sorry you too have had some rough times. I hope your new wheelchair gives you some freedom to get out and about, especially now as the weather is about to warm up (we hope). Have a great time at your daughters, make the most of it.

Lulu - all the best on Friday, I'm sure it just a friendly cyst. Let us know how you get on.

Re the hot sweats - I've not gone into chemopause yet andy I'm nearly at the end of chemo (well, 6 weeks away) I'm told however not everyone does and also told that the tamoxifen they will put me on after chemo probably will put me into chemo. Should I be worried that my menstrual cycle didn't stop...I do worry about the amount of oestrogen my body is pumping out.

Pink - great news on the gene test, one less thing to worry about hun

Sofie - Jhezzzzz - 40.4!!!!!!!! Thats fit territory. I hope they have this under control now and you are home....hospital is such a damn drag isn't it...as for the food....Dammmmnnn! its just nasty!

IS anyone coming up to Mastectomy time? have you started thinking about it, is there any good links to info about the surgery and does the type of surgery depend on the type of reconstruction one hopes to have? i guess I should start to have a think about things as Id like to go in to see my breast surgeon armed with some knowledge rather than "be told" what to have. Im very concerned about the symmetry thing. Do they make your good breast look like the reconstructed one or vice versa......Im 40 odd, had 3 children, my breasts aren't exactly pert nowadays.....heading a bit south one might say lol....will they "fix" that a bit?

By the way - my tooth ache has GONE! Thank the LORD.

Also....my neuts were 6.61 today! I was in shock....its NEVER been that high....the chemo nurse said thats fine, nothing to worry about...even before chemo it wasn't that high! Anyone else with neuts that high (or isn't that necessarily high), the highest mine has ever been is perhaps 4.8

Daysie

PS is anybody else having a mastectomy in April?

Daysie

Kym - noooo it's not just you, i've been meaning to say that after my 1st tax when I got out of bed the next morning i peed myself, i didn't even feel like i was going to...i guess it was like waters breaking lol. Hasn't happened since.

My eyelashes don't seem to have fallen out, but they seem to have 'gone in' got shorter - weird.

Everything that's happening to our bodies is weird, i think the cumulative chemo effect is taking a toll, I am counting the days until 2 March and last tax, really wish I could cancel, but daren't risk the implications. Although with boob coming off a month later would it really make that much difference I wonder?

I've lost track with who has finished chemo and those who are nearly over the line? In fact I've lost track of everything, life, friends, work :o(

x

Guest user
Not applicable

Butterfly61, Audreytoo and Paula, hope you all get some more energy soon. There really does seem to be a cumulative effect as re all this, doesn't there.
Trudi, can you still use false eyelashes if you have no real eyelashes left to stick them to? Mine are looking quite sparse now, as are my eyebrows.
I found that for the first few days after chemo, my eyesight is really quite blurry, and I'm a little incontinent; I only notice it when washing my face and brushing my teeth! Is it just me???
Gill, what a drag having to get up at that unearthly hour to shut a banging gate!! Brrrrr!!!
Lisa, hope you have a much better time on Tax this time around - did they reduce the dosage for you after you had such a severe reaction last time?
Kym xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Afternoon Ladies,

A lot of posts since I last posted so hopefully that means everyone is feeling a bit better.

Daysie: glad you're feeling a bit better and congratulations on the weight loss! Good Luck on Friday and hopefully the final one will be easier than the last two.

Trudi: I've worn nail polish all the way through ( in fact I've not been out in public without it on for at least 30 years!) and no-one has said I shouldn't. Know what you mean about the eyelashes. I still have some but very sparse and can get mascara on but started using eyeliner last Friday for extra definition and it helps a bit.

PP: great about the test results.

Lulu: good luck with scans etc and hope it is nothing more than a cyst.

Debbie: sorry you have been delayed, so disappointing. Hope good results from MRI very soon!

Gill: sorry you're feeling bad, know what you mean about the junk food. I've probably eaten more of it this year than I have in the last 10! Personally, if my body craves it, I'm having it because it is for a reason.

LL: OMG you really have been through the mill! I do so hope it will be easier on you this time.

Granny Jean: welcome back, I have missed you. So sorry that your family, and you, has suffered so much recently. I hope things turn the corner for you soon and good luck for tomorrow. You're right it has been, in some ways, a very quick journey and in other ways it seems ages since dx.

Audreytoo: Like you I am practically housebound - just go to hospital appointments and DiL takes me shopping, for basics, every 2 weeks or so. Just don't have the energy to do much - son makes dinner every night. On the plus side I have watched a lot of DVDs!

Hope everyone is well and sorry if I forgot anyone.
Take care all, love, Liz,x.

PS I heard that you shouldn't take sage if BP is up.