cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo in Nov 2011

Lizzy1977

Re: Starting Chemo in Nov 2011

Hi ladies

Lulu- good luck with your rads. My oncologist has decided I don't need rads.I'm relieved but part of me is slightly paranoid that not having it is not belt and braces. i hope you're feeling less tired today.

weme - glad to hear you're home and healing

audrey - no I've gone straight back to work full time but my workload isn't too bad at the moment and I am leaving at 5pm every day. I am pretty shattered by 4pm though.

I've not had any scans since the MRI before my MX but I guess that's because there was no node involvement and I had the MX first and chemo after. Friends keep asking me whether they do any tests to see whether the cancer has gone and when I will get the 'all clear' and I find it quite hard to answer.

I've started my Tamoxifen today so am now waiting for side effects from that. So far I have a headache and feel tired but I guess that could still be the chemo leaving my system.

Lizzyxx

Lulu34

Hi ladies of November

I'm getting my first of twenty sessions of radiotherapy today.... Had 25 each side before and these will be higher up on the left side of the chest wall.... I'll have been zapped 70 by the time iv finished.... And glowing!

Also need to get my Hickman checked is due out tomorrow but when the DN tried to take bloods today it was hardly working.... Did loads if wiggling, coughing, sitting, lying, shoogling and even attempted a jump or two but still didn't work... So after rads I'm getting looked at and might need the industrial strength drain unblocker!

Had a really fab lunch out on Saturday with the edinburgh breast buddies but think I overdid it... Absolutely knackered and feel like iv been punched all over... The slightest movement and muscles ache and walking is very difficult... Even more tiring than usual!

Kym grade 3 is the same as aggressive, but it could be a special type of cancer that is aggressive like inflammatory breast cancer in which case they do a mastectomy as standard even if it disappears completely.... You can ask him for a copy of your path report if you want the information.... But if you don't feel happy with him you can ask for a second opinion and speak to somebody else..... Some docs have their own ideas and just do things a certain way cos they always have.

He probably isn't doing a scan if he's already decided your getting an mx then it probably doesn't make a great deal of difference as long as it small enough to operate on.... Some very large inoperable tumours need chemo to shrink it so they can even have a mastectomy.

Love and hugs to all xxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Teresa/Weme - Good to hear you're both doing well post-op.

Trudi - Glad you had a good weekend and good luck for last chemo.

Linda - I'm so pleased the new lump is nothing to worry about. Hope you feel better soon.

Paula - Sorry you're suffering but at least it's the last time on chemo.

Filosofie - That's great you're finally out of hospital. Hope you're OK to go ahead with last Tax on Friday.

Lulu - Good luck for first rads today. How many do you have?

Kym - I had scans after FEC3, but I think it was mostly so onc could decide how many more chemo cycles to give me. I think I'm also down for Mx regardless. This seems to be less to do with actual tumour size but due to the breast swelling involved as may have cancer cells floating around that could get missed.

Daysie

A very happy birthday to Trudi

hope everything goes well today for your last chemo!!

going back to bed now, will catch up with all the postings later when head not so fuzzy!

Paula xx

weme

Evening all

I came back home yesterday with drain in situ and instruction on what to do with it. Will get a call tomorrow from BCN to check up on how it's draining.

Happy Birthday Trudie, hope you had a nice day, good luck tomorrow, it feels good to complete that phase.

I haven't had any scans since before my chemo started, but I have IBC so maybe that's why, I am also TN.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Weme

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening Ladies,

Happy Birthday Trudi and good luck for last chemo tomorrow.

Kym: I haven't had any scans and assumed it was because no node involvement. Wasn't given the choice of chemo first and was told mx as lump was too big in relation to my breast size. I am also aggressive (3)and ductal and Her2+ and ER+.

Filosophie: so glad you are out of hospital at last, good luck for final chemo.

Lizzy: congratulations on being back at work, hope you are back in the swing!

Theresa and weme: hope you are doing well.

Everyone else: hope the SEs are small and manageable!

Take care all, love, Liz, x.

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening Ladies,

Happy Birthday Trudi and good luck for last chemo tomorrow.

Kym: I haven't had any scans and assumed it was because no node involvement. Wasn't given the choice of chemo first and was told mx as lump was too big in relation to my breast size. I am also aggressive (3)and ductal and Her2+ and ER+.

Filosophie: so glad you are out of hospital at last, good luck for final chemo.

Lizzy: congratulations on being back at work, hope you are back in the swing!

Theresa and weme: hope you are doing well.

Everyone else: hope the SEs are small and manageable!

Take care all, love, Liz, x.

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for birthday wishes, had a quiet bay as did the partying last night in Essex. Had a fab time and the costumes were superb for the murder night, even better I guessed the murderer correctly (that goes to show being sober helps as I am normally three sheets to the wind on a night like that. lol)

I did end up taking my 16 year old son to after hours Dr today though, poor boy got my last bug which has done the same thing mine did and developed into a chest infection.

Lots os lovely presents and my hubby been a star. Roll on tomorrow and last chemo!!!!!!!!

Kym - I have not had any type of scan at any point whatsoever and assumed its because I have already had my mx?

Trudi

Guest user
Not applicable

Happy Birthday Troodles! x

Filosofie - great to hear you're out of hospital, at last!! You were in a fair while there! Like Audreytoo said, take it easy and be kind to yourself x

Lizzy, great o hear that you're now back at work and things are getting back to normal, albeit slowly. There IS light at the end of the tunnel, yay!

Linda, great to hear your lump was nothing suspicious. I guess after all this, we're all gonna be hot on any new lumps and bumps, and aches and pains, which is hardly surprising!

Hope Weme and KTF - hope you are both recovering well at home. Another hurdle down! Hopefully, every day you will feel better than the last!

Paula, well done!! Last one done and dusted, yippee!!!! I like the thought that the tax that was left in the bag was the bit that gives you the nasty side effects, lol. I really hope you don't suffer too much this time around x But I thought you didn't have to have rads?
No, I've not had a halfway scan, all the Onc did was have a prod about. Surely a scan would tell you more?! My BCN said they don't tend to do halfway scans, and my Onc was quite evasive when I asked her about it too, last week. When I told the BCN that the lump had disappeared and might I get away with a lumpectomy instead, she said no. The surgeon had told me it would be a mx, and it will still be a mx, regardless. Does anyone else know, is that the norm?
I feel I haven't been given any straight answers. Everyone here seems to have had a definite diagnosis. I was told I was grade 3 aggressive. Then a couple of weeks ago, the BCN said, no, I had invasive carcinoma. When I mentioned this to my Onc last week, she said, ignore the grade 3, and that I was Herceptin negative, and that I was responding excellently to the chemo. But how can you truly tell without a scan? Confusing!
Has everyone else had a midway scan?

All the very best to those of you this week who are having chemo. It IS very quiet on here, hope everyone is gadding about and not being poorly sick! I had a wander around Boundary Mill this afternoon near Burnley, and came home and had to have a sleep coz I was so cream crackered. Jeesh, NOT good! I feel like a little old dear! 😞

Kym xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello All

Very quiet on here today, can't believe I am the first topost today.

Lizzy - glad to hear you are back at work - are you full time or are you on a phased return?

Linda - good news about your new lump

Filosophie - Glad to hear you are out of hospital. Take care of yourself and get plenty of rest.

Troodles - Hope you enjoyed your weekend away and Happy Birthday for tomorrow. Good luck for your last chemo on Tuesday.

KTF/Werne - Hope you are both recovering well.

Daysie - Well done on completing chemo. Hope you are getting plenty of rest and taking care of yourself.

Lulu - Hope the rads go ok for you to. I am still fatigued too and my last chemo was 24th Jan, but I am taking it easy and getting plenty of rest. I am also wondering how long it will take me to get back to normal especially as one of the side effects of rads is tiredness.

Judes - noticed that you haven't posted for a while hope you are doing ok.

Thinking of everyone else and good luck to everyone who is having chemo or any other treatment this coming week.

Love
A xx

Lizzy1977

Hi ladies, I've not been on here for a while as I've been back at work. It's great to hear so many of you are finishing chemo, well done :)Good luck to those starting rads. I'm just down to Herceptin now and will be having my 3rd Herceptin on Wednesday. I think it just take 30 minutes this time. I am starting my Tamoxifen on Monday too so feel like I'm slowly getting back to some sort of normality.

I've still got numb/ tingly fingers but I guess that will get better in time. I', just want my hair to grow back!
Lizzyxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Good afternoon ladies,

The last tax hit me hard and have spent literally most of the week feeling alittle sorry for myself and staying in bed. The tummy cramps were really severe, my head was in a bad place, I certainly had anger management issues but I am now on day 8 and slowly but surely starting to feel a bit more like myself.

I saw my surgeon on monday about my new lump and he sent me for a scan which was on wednesday. The good news is it was nothing, apparently I have bobbley boobs.

My surgery is planned for 21st March with a pre-op planned for the 7th March.

I am glad Weme and Teresa are out of hospital. I hope you are comfortable and recovery is going along well.

Gill I mentioned Herceptine being done at home, it has been outsourced to a private company. So at least for the next 12 months I will have it done at home.

Paula, sending lots of hugs your way. What a journey we have come along, and finishing chemo is one big hurdle we have got over. I am hoping all is okay with your OH.

Amysmum, my daughter too had to get dressed up for World Book Day and the hero she chose was me. I was so proud of her. She certainly did look like a mini me .

Lisa, I hope your side effects are getting better, your photos looked so painful.

Well its lovely and sunny today, I hope everyone is having a good one.

Linda
xx

filosofie

Hello everyone, you all seem to be racing ahead of me now. They finally let me out of hospital yesterday as they tested everything and couldn't work out why my temperature was spiking. That means I missed my last tax yesterday. May go ahead next Friday but I'm hoping to get a new PICC line first. After that I'm having CMF with rads interspersed, so now should finally be finished chemo early June. Difficult to plan for anything now and anyway feeling really washed out.

So glad that lots of you are coming to the end. Hope all goes well with people who are having operations now. Must be lovely to see the results of chemo and even though some are still feeling rotten from that, I think recovery from surgery is a bit easier to understand. Chemo is just so weird isn't it?

Good luck to all over the coming week.

Guest user
Not applicable

Paula - glad this stage over for you and I am sorry you have been feeling so down. If you fancy a meet just let me know and I would be more than happy to go for a coffee and a chat.

I have my last one Monday and rads start 26 March. Have got to keep my picc line ion for another 3 weeks as I have had infection after last two chemo's and they just want to keep an eye on me.

Going away for the weekend, back down to my brothers in Essex for my niece's birthday party and then a murder mystery evening for my birthday which is tomorrow, day before last chemo,happy birthday Trudi LOL.

Weme and Theresa - hope you both ok and home now.

keepthefaith

Hi daysie

Sorry to see you have been having a tough time of it. At least the chemo is now over and you have nearly a month to get over it and prepare for surgery. I became very apprehensive about it but the overwhelming feeling now it is done is one of relief! In terms of pain etc its not too bad, have just needed paracetamol and weme was the same so dont worry too mych about that side of things. I guess there will be a few psychological hurdles for us all to jump over before really coming to terms with what has happened to us, and i fully intend to use any counselling services that are offered once i am through the rads. You have been amazingly upbeat lately compared with the Paula we first met in October, and a few bad days here and there are to be expected so dont beat yourself up. Hope situation with oh improved, whatever it is, and sending lots of love and hugs.

Love to everyone else too will try to get to the computer soon for a longer post!

Teresa xx

Daysie

Good morning everyone - thank you for all your hugs and best wishes. I've finished last chemo yesterday (Tax) and feel so relieved that part of this horrible journey is behind me. There were no problems, other than they said I was slightly anaemic, and i've got yet another diet sheet to have things with more iron in them. I had been cutting down on red meat as I didn't pay attention to the dietician! Oh well another diet to go with my diabetic and pregnant regime diet lol. Maybe it's because I've lost so much weight and not been eating properly. The chemo nurse said sometimes chemo makes you slightly anaemic, but recovers after it finishes.

I actually got a good nights sleep last night, I was amazed, especially as I'm taking the steriods, last ones today. I hate taking all these tablets, so many to remember!

I'm waiting for some side effects to kick in, but none so far, they didn't finish the whole bag of Tax yesterday, there was definately some left in there when they threw it away, only took an hour to go through, maybe they weren't so bothered as it was the last one, so hopefully that was the bit with the side effects in lol.

Feeling a bit better in my mind today, we had a chinese last night to celebrate, my excuse to have some red meat lol, going to try out my new soup maker this week and try to get some more green veggies.

I'm not going to have immediate reconstruction on 2nd April, just a 'straightforward' mastectomy, with no drains and no other node involvement, they said it would probably be a day procedure unless I wanted to stay overnight, which I will probably do. My surgeon said it would be best to wait 6-12 months before reconstruction as I will be having radiotherapy, probably in May.

Kym - sorry you're not joining the finishing line with us just yet, I was told allow up to 9 chemos, but they said 6 has done the job, have you have your half way scan and exam yet to see how your're progressing?

Hope Weme and Theresa are both back home and getting lots of rest and not too sore.

I've lost tract of where we are all up to, Trudi, good luck for Monday and your last Tax I think?

Is anybody else finishing chemo this week?

I'm going to take things easy today and lots of rest.

((hugs)) Paula xx

Lulu34

Weme glad you and Theresa are feeling ok now your through your ops.... Hope you both have uneventful recoveries.

Kym the numb tingly fingers and toes can last for a while after treatment but it should resolve in time.... Mine aren't numb just a bit tingly and tender. I know what you mean about finding support from others going through it at the same time.

Amy's mum glad your listening to your body.... I get fatigued doing nothing I really toil and get out of breath just doing a short walk or going up half a flight of stairs.... I'm now three weeks past my last chemo but not sure how long it will take to get back to normal.

Audrey hope the rads go ok for you... Mine start on Monday... Not had any tattoos done this time as its on the chest wall and they weren't even certain I was gonna be getting them.... I already have 14 dots from my two previous rounds of rads.

I'll be restarting my tamoxifen after I get my Hickman line out on Tuesday.... I haven had many problems from it in the past.... You do often get quite a bit of joint pain from letrozole and other AIs and it can diminish your bone density so they like to do dexa scans every 2-3 years.

Christine hope thats the SEs coming to an end for you for this cycle.

My daughter had her genetic counselling appt this morning and seemed to go ok... Shes not in any hurray to be tested but seems to have given her some food for thought but think the counsellor is a bit concerned how it might affect her mental health as she is already under the care of a psychiatrist.

Take care ladies
Love lulu xx

3network3

OH NO, not more drinking to do with rads, honestly feel like a walking pool soon.

Daisy sorry to read you had more to deal with on top of all this chemo / cancer lark. Last one though, once you're over the hill with this, hopefully you can feel more positive to deal with the OH's problem.

Weme, Teresa good to hear you made it through well. Recovery can begin!

Lisa hope you're feeling better.

I'm day 10 today after 2nd Docetaxel and feel fine, mouth still grotty but getting better and just tired, that's all really.

Love,

Christine xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Forgot to say:

LL - I was shocked to see the pics of your hand and legs. I hope you are not still suffering with this.

I have also been given my hormone tablets. I am on Letrezole not sure spelling and have also been given calcium tablets. Will be taking both of these for 5 years. Also being booked in for a DEXA scan.

A

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello All

Have read posts but so many I can't remember what you are all up to so I am sorrynI can't respond to you all individually.

Well done to all of you who have finished chemo.

Werne / KTF - hope you both recover well from your ops.

Paula - sorry you are so down - sending you big hugs.

I had my rads planning last week and then had a good weekend at my daughter's. I really needed the break away.

I had my 1st rads yesterday and going again this afternoon. Then 13 left to go. Just trying to drink the 2 litres of water that I have been told to have every day.

For those of you who are bothered about having the tatoos - they are so small you can hardly see them.

Thinking of all of you.

Sending big hugs.

Take care

Axxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Weme, glad to hear you and Teresa are OK (and in the same bay). I hope you get home today and tomorrow and you both heal quickly. I went home with drains in, so needed my husband to help me shower (by holding the drain bottle and/or directing the shower spray away from my dressing), but getting home was a huge relief - just tell whoever is driving you to go slow over any potholes.

Paula, sorry to hear you are not feeling more positive. It is tough and the tiredness does get a little worse each time, which really doesn't help. The main thing I was happy about with the last chemo was getting my PICC line out and being able to treat the mild excema that had developed with 12 weeks of various dressing. Being able to scratch my fore-arm at last (with little risk of infection) was bliss.

Well, I discovered yesterday how I had managed to cope without feeling too tired on this chemo-cycle - it was by doing so little physically! Walking my daughter home from school, I was feeling bright and lively, full of energy. I even talked to her about getting the sewing machine out to make her a cloak for her (not very inspired) outfit for World Book Day. Then we got home, I carried tha wet laundry upstairs, hung it up in the spare room and that was my energy gone for day. I did manage to make Amy as sandwich before Rainbows, but there was no way I could walk the 5 minutes there and back, so got the car out for drop off and pick up. As my husband was getting home late, Amy also skipped her bath and went straight for bedtime story. I was not too far behind her - hoping to catch a bit of sleep before my bed-time hotflushes appeared. Why can I go 16 hours during the day without a hot flush but go to bed and within an hour I am roasting hot, throwing off the covers etc? Then fall asleep (after a diginifed pause) and wake freezing sometime between 2 and 4. Gosh, can hardly wait for the fun of Tamoxifen.

Guest user
Not applicable

Weme, great to hear you and Teresa are both doing ok! You'll have to tell us more when you're up to it! Until then, take care and go easy on yourselves xx

Gail, I was told at the beginning I was having 8, but I was really hoping, because things seemed to be going so well, that my Onc would reduce it to 6. So when she said, 'you only have one more to go', I almost jumped for joy! Thing was, she did it the time before that too, and said I only had 2 to go, before she realised her mistake. So I should have known really. But the thought of another 3 is so hard. I'm trying to put it into perspective and think, it's only 3 weeks or so of feeling dreadful, and not actually 9 weeks. . . . . . It's not really working tho 😞

Paula, I'm so sorry to hear you are feeling so low. Come on girl, it's your last one today and then you can put this phase right behind you. We all understand how it gets you down, and look how far you've come!!! Are you still having a mx with reconstruction? Sending you BIG ((((hugs)))) xx

I don't know how I'd get by without all you ladies on here. My friends and family have been great, and also some friends who have unfortunately trodden this path themselves in the past (and got thru!!) . But unpleasant memories fade (thankfully!) , so it really helps to be in contact with others who are going through the same things at the same time. If it wasn't for you lot, I'd be a right pain in the neck ringing up my chemo unit, etc, asking if this or that is normal? I stopped feeling bloody awful on Monday. Tuesday I felt almost normal, and then on Weds eve, I started feeling 'not quite right', and my fingers started tingling. But it's my toes that are the worst, they're burning. I've been slapping on tons of cream on them before I go to bed and then putting on a pair of cotton socks. It seems to help. Also developed a funny waxy/soapy taste in my mouth.

All the best to those who have had tax this week and today (especially if it's your last - well done for getting there!) May everyone's SEs be little ones xxx

weme

Hi all

Teresa and I are opposite each other in a 4 bed ward. We've both come out the other side ok. Teresa went in to theatre at 10:15 but I had to wait until 3:30. We are both doing ok, Teresa is hoping to go home later today, I am hoping to go home tomorrow. Catch up with you all soon.

Weme

Lulu34

Sending big hugs Paula.

You have come such a long way I remember how terrified you were a few months ago and now usually your much mor positive so don't beat your self up for having and off day or two.

Remember you can always speak to your gp about your issues and many folk require antidepressants during treatment but ur go can assess you... Some people need to have their dosage adjusted or meds changed too.... Your GP and your onc unit or BC nurse should be able to refer our for counselling as talking often helps too andit doesn't need to be about cancer... Often you can deal with the cancer but it's the other sh1te going on around which is the icing on the cake and makes things so much worse.

Love and hugs and good luck for tomorrow... Hope the next few weeks are kind to you in the SE stakes.

Lulu xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Daysie,

I felt the same as you before last chemo - I really didn't feel I could take any more. The evening before I went out for an early dinner with 2 former colleagues so that helped me feel more positive.

It is now 2 weeks today since last one and the last 2 days I have felt much better and more positive. I am still extremely tired but know it won't last too long - I hope.

Post on here and let us support you and hope everything goes well tomorrow. In a few weeks the worst will be behind you. Mx was much easier than chemo for me.

Hope the terrible thing with OH can be resolved.

Take care, Liz, x

Daysie

Hi everyone

Sorry not been around last week or so, something terrible happened regarding my OH, long story, will explain another time.

Just wanted to wish Weme and Teresa all the very best for today, hope all goes as well as can be expected, a traumatic day for both of you, but at least nasty aliens will be gone for good. Wishing you both a very speedy recovery.

I've got my last Tax tomorrow, wish I could feel yeayyy, but I've been very down and depressed lately and finding everything too much to cope with, not so much physically, but mentally I've gone in a very bad place. Not looking forward to side effects of last Tax and then mastectomy on 2 April, starting to dread it and how i'm going to feel after.

I didn't want to post all my woe's on here as tried to be so positive in the past, but each chemo has been harder and more reality sets in.

I need very large pick me up - but can't think what!

Take care everyone - see you on the other side of the fence!!

Luv n hugs
Paula xx

3network3

Teresa nad Weme thinking of you today, hope all is going well for you and ditto Lisa re prayers 🙂 xx

Gail my brest still looks bigger than the other one, but then one of my breasts was always noticeably bigger than the other, it's strange but I can't remeber which one!! I hope it's the cancer one, otherwise the smaller of the two has increased considerably!

Chrisitne xx

Guest user
Not applicable

L4W - Good to hear from you again. Was beginning to wonder what had happened to you. Hope the heart problem is sorted out with the extra pills. I'm sure I've read or heard about the heart being really good at recovering itself so hopefully you'll be OK long term.

Christine - My symptoms sound similar to you with swollen breast. I've also been told they need to get it down to operate. Mine feels softer than before chemo and onc reckons she can hardly feel anything under the arm now, but it's still not normal size with only 2 chemos to go, so I might have to get rads before Mx. Sounds like chemo has been really successful for you.

Kym - That's awful thinking you were nearly done. I was told upfront I'd be getting 6 or 8, so my onc wanted to monitor the response before deciding. She went with 8 so obviously thought it wasn't progressing as well as she'd hoped. Seems a bit odd to go for 8 if you've had a good response but they all seem to have different views.

Lisa - Yes, I get out of breath easily for the first few days on TAX. It gets better although as I live up 3 flights of stairs I do need a bit of a seat when I get home. Some of this might be due to being less fit than I was before I started chemo as well.

Lulu - I thought it was just me having a problem peeing. I've tried various adjustments to how I sit but it just seems to change which leg gets sprayed. I still have some hair there but unforunately not where it's needed. Have a great lunch on Saturday. Looks like you're in for a busy week.

Guest user
Not applicable

Good Luck Weme and Teresa for you operation today xxx

Libralady

Teresa & Weme

My prayers will include you both at a higher level tonight and tomorrow morning. I know you will breeze through this stage and bring me through it when its my turn.

Love & Blessings in Abundance to you both.

Speak to you both in a few days.

Lisa
xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Weme and Keepthefaith - all the best for tomorrow, thinking of you both.

Trudi

XX

Lulu34

Good luck Theresa and Weme for surgery and good luck Gail for chemo.

I have the nurse coming to do my line tomoz and then got to get bloods on Monday to check my clotting is ok for getting my Hickman out on Tuesday.... And of course rads also starting on Monday for the next 4 weeks.

My daughter is going for her first genetic appointment on Friday too.... So another busy few days.

L4W hope the heart problems settle down.... But they don't know how many herceptin you actually need and there are many research trials currently underway to try and gauge this... So try not to worry too much...... I know much easier said than done... And remember they are monitoring your cardiac function too.

Take care ladies
Love lulu xxx

weme

Hiya

I'm fine, as you say very nervous. I've been working today to keep my mind off it, didn't work too well though. See you bright and early tomorrow Teresa. Thanks for all the well wishes, see you on the other side.

Weme

keepthefaith

Yes we are going in first thing! 7:30 am - am very nervous and apprehensive, so thanks for everyone's best wishes. Will be in touch post-op. Haven't heard from Weme today, hope she is OK.

xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

There are a few posts I want to reply to. I'm a bit pushed for time as have been working from home today and have the Tesco home delivery to set up for this week before I have my dinner. Will try to get to it tomorrow, but just wanted to wish KTF and Weme good luck for surgery as tomorrow will be a bit late if you're having to go in first thing.

Guest user
Not applicable

Afternoon ladies,

Feeling so much better today so hope it lasts.

L4W: I am on a trial where the other group are only having 3 Herceptin with Tax and then nothing so even if you have to stop it you could still have had enough to protect you. It is more effective when given at the same time as chemo. I imagine you are like me and itching to get back to normal - whatever that is! I was never any good at pacing myself but it has been forced upon me this year so I will try to slow down and not overdo things in future. It is also common to feel let down when chemo ends - have you got something to look forward to like a holiday or some special treats?

Gill: I have had intermittent tingling in hands and feet especially big toes which makes me wobbly sometimes. It is the Tax and should clear up within a few months I have been told.

Sorry can't remember other posts but good luck to all having treatment and take care.

Love, Liz, x

gill13

L4W - Sorry to hear you having heart problems, i had read that if heart gets affected they can stop and start the herceptin, it might be reassuring for you to know that there is a trial on at the moment where patients only have herceptin for 6 months, so they obviously don't think we need 12months of it (i have to say i did decline taking part in it)
Having said all that, since starting in Herceptin in Nov, i have only had 1 scan and that was after i'd had 2 chemos, so how do they know if my heart has been affect?? Hmmm...

Thanks Lulu and Pleasant1, i'd not had pins and needles before and don't remember anyone else mentioning them, at least i know they're a normal se
Pleasant, i've got good veins and didn't have any trouble with veins until, Chemo 4, chemo 5 was ok, then chemo 6, flar up again, so not really needed PICC line, it is improvimg now, its just a bit itchy

Lulu - i laughed at the foof comment too, and i know what you're saying!!! haha

Gill xx

Lost_4_Words

Good luck to Teresa & Weme for Thurs. I had to walk too. I'd take something to pass the time just in case you're late going down. I arrived at 7:30am and was still waiting at 4pm, it wasn't too bad (apart from being starving!!) cos I was in a private room (nhs took over private hospital, so all are single rooms) and OH was allowed to stay. I came out next day with a drain in after they showed me how to empty it, (really easy to do).

Haven't posted for a while, had a bit of a rough time since last chemo and needed to get my head round it all. SEs weren't too bad, usual aches & pains, but I had another visit to the cardiologist and after more tests they've increased my pills. I'm going to continue with Herceptin for now but not sure how many I'll get to have or how long it will take, could be a bit stop/start. They have reassured me that some is better than none and as I see it I don't really have a choice as not having it doesn't make for a good prognosis but I am worried about the long term effects it might have on my heart. Ever since my dx I've felt in control of everything that's been done to me and been confident about the outcome but the cardiologist put a different slant on things and pretty much turned everything on its head. Feel a bit like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't!! Finishing chemo has been a bit of an anti-climax, I know I'm not yet 3wks past but I do think my recovery is slower than I expected, I'm def feeling the cumulative effect and perhaps it's cos I'm trying to do too much but I'm def feeling more tired and emotional. Just cant stop worrying, I'm not sleeping and feel very alone.

Congrats to all those that've had good news or finished and gentle hugs for all those who are suffering. Sorry I can't remember who said what, finding it hard to concentrate 😞
t.t.f.n.
L4W

Pleasant1

Lulu and Kym, we must have been posting at the same time. Lulu, you obviously much more knowledgeably than I. The foof comment was hilarious! I've not heard it called that before and thought it may be Scottish but my Dundee man knows not of it; so he says…
OMG! Big Fat Gypsy Weddings is truly outrageous this evening… Bet you're watching it Kym – if you're not sleeping.
I'm feeling a bit sick and keep getting the hot flushes. Urrgh… ;-/

3network3

Pleasant1 I just stretch my arm out a few times a day now and slthough I can still see this long rope going from armpit into the uper arm, it feels less tender to toch and it's less sore to strecth the arm out fully. I'll see the man of the bad news next week friday (Breast surgeon who told me I had cancer back in Nov) and I will tell him. He always looks so pityful though, making me think I must be a bad case. Honestly the first time he saw my husband when shaking his hand he tilted his head and closed his eyes saying sorry, I thought this is really bad! He scares me.

Re the fatique, I'm now day 7 after 2nd Tax and I get easily out of breath. The way you desribe it hits the nail on the head! You think of doing something but you can't really. my red blood count is just above transfusion limit they said last week, guess that makes me feel lethargic.

I know why I have chemo before MX as the breast was full of water and swollen, surgeon said he can't operate a breast looking like that, it needs to go back to its normal appearance first, which it has done nicely since chemo started.

Lisa so sorry this Tax has hit you and the AB. Hope it will be kinder to you this time. My second Tax is easier on me than the first. Although having now a thrush on my tounge.

Christine xx

Pleasant1

Yo sisters…

Kym, I prefer you to the lama any day! Sorry to hear you're low. I am too; very up and down, emotional (day four of third tax today). Orangy nails and tender fingers. Pins and needles earlier but seem to have stopped. What's it about? They asked me about p&ns when I went for pre-treatment and I forgot to say 'a bit'. Energy levels are hard to manage. One minute I imagine I want to do something, but actually doing it is then too much effort and I can't be bothered, or rather, have no enthusiasm for anything much. Even phone conversations are an effort and I don't want to speak to people for fear of dishing out my upset on them; particularly parents and siblings and make them feel bad 'cause what can they do other than worry and not do themselves any good.
Why did you have chemo first? I got told if ct-scan had shown anything I would have chemo first but if not mx first. Know how you must be feeling about having to go through it twice more. I got told our unit used to give eight but found it difficult to get most people through and now adhere to a French study showing six versus eight isn't enough difference to make putting people through eight worth it???!!!

All the best Weme and Teresa for Thursday. Merely facing it is petrifying; it was all I could do not to attempt an escape through the nearest window. I woke up on a high though and my sister visited but got thrown out about 9pm as we couldn't stop gossiping. When you feel rubbish afterwards try to remember the anesthetic takes a while to leave you. Reading Jeeves and Wooster really helped me – think it was Right Ho, Jeeves!

Great news Gingersmithy.

Liz, hope you feel even better by tomorrow and lots of luck for your heart scan.

Gill, hope your vein gets better. Such a drag getting other and on-going pain on top of the se's. Why didn't you go for a PICC line?

Sophie, hope you're OK and home now…

Lisa, seven days of a 50mg capsule fluconazole will put you right. I started it on day seven after the first tax but began it on day four after the second tax as wanted to get rid of it soonest. This third tax I don't seem to have it so haven't begun taking any yet. They are at the ready tho'…

Christine/anyone: re cording. I saw a lymphodema nurse last week and she got hold of my arm and stretched the skin upward from above the armpit saying we need to lift our arm and pull up from between the armpit and the elbow. She also showed me the lymph massage. However, here we are not supposed to do it until after chemo while on the continent they do it during chemo! As usual, the jury is out… Anyway, it takes 15-20 mins and we should do it twice a day to encourage the lymphatic flow across to the non-mx side. Not sure where to encourage it those who've have double mx… There are NHS leaflets showing you how but I didn't see them in the hospital. L-dex tests are also done every three months but it seems to be something you may need to push for as here it's done at a hospice, not the hospital and I'm sure it was only me enquiring and phoning people that I've ended up organising it or I would have slipped through the net like a forgotten Minnow!

Amysmum and Lisa… Wondering if the breathless thing is because bodies are under so much strain making up cells? I sometimes think I am, and feel a bit light-headed, but manage to walk an hour on good days. Or is it to do with general fitness or just a se some get and some don't? Not meaning to be rude here but were you both energetic before it all?!

I've definitely run out of puff now! Laterz x

Guest user
Not applicable

Lulu - I was really hoping that I would only have to have 6 chemos instead of 8, because the lump completely seemed to disappear after chemo 2 - my nipple returned to normal, and my boob also returned to its normal shape too. The onc was really pleased at the time.
I have 4 out of 5 lymph nodes (taken out) that were affected. I keep getting jabbing pains there, but the Onc said that was the Tac doing its stuff. (I never even knew the actual size of the lump for sure. My onc told me it had been about 5.5cm on the scan, but when she came to physically measure it before chemo, she said it was about 3.8cm).
I would have thought they might have done a scan or something to have a closer look to see whats going on? and then have made the decision whether to carry on with 6 or 8? I know I shouldn't moan about it, especially as some ladies are having a REALLY horrid time on this (you being one of them!), but the thought of another 3 just fills me with despair.
One things for sure, there isn't a universal set treatment plan, is there. But other ladies I've known who were treated in the same hospital as me only had 6. Like you say, may they are being extra cautious.
I'm sorry, Lulu, you have enough on your plate without being the resident doctor too, but you talk a lot of sense!
Kym xx

Lulu34

Lisa I started antifungals tablets on day three or as soon as symptoms start if sooner.... Also had nystatyn suspension and regular difflam... Didnt stop it completey but i dread to hink how bad it would have been if i didn't have them.... I also got a soft head toothbrush and pronamel toothpaste which is milder and not so nippy on my toungue and gums.
And I do get very breathless and have palpitations the first few days after tax and needed to have ECGs and O2 sats monitored to rule out anything sinister.... They do get a but concerned about blood clots so always best to get it checked.... Like amysmum I get puffed walking up one flight of stairs and now I'm almost 3 weeks post tax no 6.... Duringn the first few days after chemo I can't do the stairs and i get puffed going from lying down to sitting up and my heart starts racing.

Amysmum the nose bowing is more likely to be down to loss of nose hairs which causes lots of runny noses, nose bleeds, crusty/cracked nose.

Gill pins and needles feeling In the nads can be peripheral neuropathy which is a side effects of the tax.... It can take a few months to go away completely.... Sorry to hear you veins are a bit knackered too.... You might find physio helps.

Kym how disappointing of your onc.... As far as I can tell if you have a good response then you should only need 6 unless it hadn't responded as well as they expected then it would be 8.... Did you have a lot of lymph nodes involved? Maybe they are just being extra cautious.

Debbie that's great news about your hip you must be jumping for joy.

Hairwatch... Not much more than last weeks.... still a couple of mm of fluff.... Eyebrows and lashes still keep losing the odd one here and there... Looking forward to foof hair coming back so I can pee with out spraying the back of my legs every time I go for a wee.

Lxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

That is interesting about the 6/8 question. It must be so frustrating to have your cons say "only 1 more" to then remember that it is 3. Hopefully they will all pass smoothly.

I had my MX first and only ever had 6 cycles mentioned. I assume they did the MX first as the lump was big (especially compared to my breast) and they could then do a full biopsy and taylor the rest of my treatment to suit. Until I came on here, I was not aware that so many ladies have chemo before any surgery - I wasn't aware there was any choice in the timing of the op, just whether to have a MX or Lumpectomy and what reconstruction I wanted to go for.

I to get breathless with Tax. Climbing the stairs can leave me huffing and puffing and at only 47, that is really not normal (I am talking a single flight of stairs here, not climbing the Empire State Building). Mind you with the amount of nose-blowing I do after each chemo, I guess there could be something going on that I am not aware of,

Guest user
Not applicable

LL - I get breathless first few days after Tax, even more so this time bacause of chest infection. If I remember from previous postings I think Lulu does too.

Trudi

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening Ladies,

Hope you are all doing as well as you can. I felt really bad last Thursday but much better on Friday and Saturday but had a relapse on Sunday and Monday but feeling much better today so hope I am on the mend. I am so fed up, as you all will be too, of feeling ill all the time and I am so impatient to get my energy back.

Going for my heart scan on Thursday morning and meeting a friend afterwards. She has been through chemo (for lymphoma) so she is sympathetic.

I, too, walked to theatre for my mx and didn't have pre-med either.

Keep going ladies, the only way is up.

Take care, love, Liz, x

3network3

Hiya again

That's interesting Kym, I have a MX after chemo and only get six chemos not eight!

Will need to question the onc about that ...

Christine xx

Libralady

Does anyone else get a bit breathless on TAX. I find my chest is a bit "heavy". Never had it in FEC

gill13

Hi Kym
it must be frustrating for you to still have another 3 to go, damn you Americans! lol hopefully time will go quite quickly for you, and i don't think you've had a total sense of humour bypass, if the Llama had you laughing 🙂

Lisa sorry to hear your hands are flaring up again

i've had a reaction to the taxotere again and my vein has go red, sore and itchy like it did last time, its more of an irritant for me really. My fingers keep getting pins and needles too, not sure if its connected?

Hope everyone else is doing ok?

Gill x

Libralady

Oh Kym....thats such a bugger, just when you see the finish line......they move it!

Interesting you say thats the differene between the 6 or 8 doses as i often wondered why....i thought i got 8 becuase thats just what my ONC preferred, it was "his" way. I did have an unsuccessful lumpectomy so they decided on an Mx for me but said chemo first....so possibly thats why i had 8 as i still have the offending visitor in my right breast.

My hands rash is flaring up yet again. My feet are nowhere near as bad as last time but the rash on my palms is well itchy. My son popped out yesterday and bought me some aloe vera gel to help cool it down but it doesnt help really, i will still use it along with the aqueous cream.

I have finished the filgrastrim jabs now i had very little pain with them other than back ache on the first day but i suffer with back ache anyway, however it got worse that day. I also experienced some weird stabbing type pains in my left ankle the other night but it only lasted about a minute.

Oral thrush is awful.....its truly nasty, my tongue is covered in a white slimy covering.....yakky....so sorry if that description made anyone gag.....but its the honest truth.....i wont post a picture of it though...thats taking it a tad far lol. Using difflam mouthwash and my gp gave my daktarin oral gel. I think if i brush my teeth and tongue anymore i will rub them raw.

The onc gave me anti fungal tabs to start on day 8.....does anyone have experience of starting them sooner.....i need them now.