375854posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo in Nov 2011

weme

Re: Starting Chemo in Nov 2011

Hi Teresa, wasn't one of the side affects from the rads swelling in the arm? I'm at work so I can't check the paperwork I signed before starting them but I'm sure it was one of the short term affect.

I've been to see my GP this morning about my toe as it is still weeping she has given me more antibiotics to take and has arranged a blood test to check my blood levels, she will contact me if there is any problem with the blood.

It's a shame about the vicks, maybe it's the same as everything else, what works for one person doesn't for another - we need another guinea pig, at the moment it worked 50% of the time!

Must do a bit more work.

Weme

keepthefaith

Hi all

Vicks on your feet! No comment 😉 hope you didn't get up to go to the loo in the night, you might have stuck to the floor!

Kym Judes had her last chemo on Monday. Good luck with your forthcoming Mx, and you too Lisa - It is not pleasant, but it has to be done I'm afraid. Are you thinking you might get recon further along the line? And you too, Weme - what's your thinking? I am undecided at present. The way I feel at the moment I never want to be in a hospital waiting room ever again!!

The wheels of the NHS grind slowly, very slowly. I went to see the physio yesterday about the cording in my arm, also thinking she would give me advice about the mild swelling (touch of lymphoedema) in my arm which has come on since I started rads last week. She said I had to go back to BCN about that. So I phoned BCN at 12:45, told they would call back. Phoned again at 3:45, told they were in clinic (clinic started at 2, so they could have phoned before then!) and they would call me later (they didn't) or this morning (not yet!) - and I rang this morning, to get a message saying nobody in today until 1pm!! I know that in the scheme of things this isn't life-threatening, but it is so frustrating! The sooner they get on top of lymph problems, the more likely they are to resolve rather than get worse, surely? I am not a happy bunny!!! Also a bit more of a whinge - I seem to have no life now rads have started - my while time is taken with going to the hospital or for other appointments! Never mind, soon over I guess.

Well done Trudi on finishing rads - it can't come soon enough for me!

gill good luck with work - well done, do you feel you are beginning to get back to "normal"?

Gail - very sensible to work from home - don't put yourself at any more risk than you have to!

Audrey are you feelign any better? How did you get on at GPs and occ health?

Teresa xx

Fairy1518

Hi Lisa, Weme, OH slapped on the Vick for me last night, all over my feet (socks over the top), and I went to bed all excited hoping I wouldn't be up coughing all night. But it didn't work for me, boohoo :-(. Hmm, did OH put enough on I wonder?? It didn't help that I also had bad indigestion and I think I may have a touch of sinusitis as my cheek is a little sore and swollen. Oh dear, moan, moan, moan! Might try the Vicks again tonight.
Good to hear you got your date for your mx too - I'm seeing my BS on May 8th as re that. My last chemo is next Monday (think I'm the last Nov lady to have chemo? Or is Jude's still having it too?), and the Onc said my mx will be 4 to 6 weeks after that. I'm having full ANC too. Not looking forward to that as its all on my right side and I'm right handed.
Trudi, Your weekend on the Norfolk Broads sounds lovely. I had a great week on there many many years ago with a friend, when I was about 12 or so. I remember there being lots of windmills, coots, bitterns, and pubs by the side of the rivers. It'll be interesting to know whether upping your Eve Primrose to two per day will dampen down the hot sweats. Well done on finishing your rads - now you can get on with living your life!!

Libralady

Hey Weme

Yes, full ANC aswell.

Your poor toe sounds truly awful. My toe beds were quite tender during the last 4 chemos, if I knocked my nail BEJHEZZZZZZZZZ it HURT!!!! So far though they have held on - all my nails or my right hand broke or snapped and my left hand has started to break too but I don't think I will lose them, they are just a bit brittle. My finger nails of one of the parts on my body that have always served me well, I do have very long nails, not any more though 😞

Troodles

Hi ladies, haven't posted for a few days as I went away for the weekend on the Norfolk Broads with my OH, sister and brother and their OH's. For a chill out session, I definately recoomend it, despite the weather we had a really good time. I drank far too much alcohol but never mind!

The tamoxifen is well and truley into my system now I think as hot flushes are considerably worse, especially at night, they are just like first week after chemo. I am hoping they won't last long as assume they are putting me through menopause so will wear off. I have been just taking one eve prim and can take two so will up them and see what happens.

I had my last rads today so I am now done! Have a check up with onc in 2 months time and then with surgeon in November.....

Trudi

weme

Dear All

I would love to know whether the vick thing really works, we could conduct a trial and see if it works for everyone!

My toe isn't any better, luckily it doesn't hurt it just looks nasty, I've got a call in to talk to the doctor tomorrow and see if they think I should go in and see them about it, I guess that is better than waiting until next week which is the next available appointment at the moment, we will have to see what she says tomorrow.

LL, you mx is on the same date as my last rad, good luck with it. Are you having ANC as well or just mx (I jest, not "just" an mx!).

Gill, glad you had a good time at Flamingoland, I am thinking of booking a few days off work when my rads finish just to get away for a few days, I am hoping to take a big holiday in sept/oct time and go to the states/canada for a few weeks so want to save my holiday for then.

I've been trying to work through my rads, albeit from home most of the time but I do go into the office for the odd days for meetings, I am still finding that wearing a bra is uncomfortable but as I am quite big, I don't really like going out without one as I look lopsided. Still got the softie at the moment, I will need to ring up and get an appointment to be fitted for a prothesis soon but thought I would wait until my rads are over as it's a different hospital I would need to go to. I am beginning to feel a bit more tired, don't know if it's the rads or the fact that I keep waking up at night, I do go straight back to sleep but it isn't the same as sleeping all night, ho hum, one day normallity may return or am I having wishful thinking there?

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Weme

Libralady

Hey Kym

Yes please DO try the vicks thing, I swear to you it worked for me - no joke, plus it would be good to hear another persons trial with it - do let us know. Im a terrible doubting Thomas but I was so tired from lack of sleep from the night coughing I was desperate so saw it as a harmless thing to try - and I'm so glad I did it. My brother asked me if I thought it may be a trick of the mind, but with Children surely that trick thing wouldn't work - I dunno!

A good slathering of it is needed and rub it right in all over the soles of both feet and then put your socks on.

Look forward to your review.

My Mastectomy ladies is 4th May 😞

Fairy1518

Afternoon Ladies,

The internet has been down for 3 days, and after the engineer came out yesterday, we got it back today, so plenty to catch up on, including work.

My brain isn't functioning too well, as I've been laid low with a rotten cough and cold these last 4 days, so its taking me ages to co-ordinate my fingers and actually type, lol.

Lisa - Vick on your feet really works?! Right! gonna give that a go tonight - I can't bear to touch the thick gloopy stuff so will ask OH to put it on! I'm asthmatic so chemists won't give me any medicine thats a supressant, so know that banging head when you cough feeling, very well! Altho must admit after the last palava I had when I got a horrid cough I couldn't shift (think about chemo 2) and I was passed from chemo unit, to doctor to pharmacy, and no-one was too sure what to give me, I didn't bother asking any of their advice this time and just went out and bought various medicines.
Hope you're starting to feel better now, Lisa! xx

Gill, great to hear you and daughters had a fab time in Flamingoland, but a pity about the weather. But then, thats how it goes in the UK. I remember spending a day at Alton Towers a few years ago when it just rained and rained the whole flippin day. We got drenched, but grit our teeth and stayed coz it cost us a small fortune to get in! York is lovely tho isn't it. Was the Jorvic Centre ok? We went years and years ago when it first opened (before kids), but I keep thinking it'd be good to take youngest (12) before he's too old and thinks its pants! I think this is your 2nd day back to work isn't it? Hope its gone ok, and try not to overdo it xx

Gail, wise move to stay at home and work, like Gill said. Hows the Tamoxifen going?

Lulu, great to hear that you're moving on with your life now. I guess, like all of us, its the energy levels that are going to take time to fully recover. (I feel like I'm wading thru mud typing this!) I miss your snippets of advice, and hope that you are otherwise very well!

Amysmum, best of luck with your rads, and also sorry to hear you're suffering from lymphodema. Its the one thing I'm dreading after I've had my mx and anc 😞

Audrey, hope your skin is still improving everyday and
Weme, hope your toe is getting better.

Kym xx

Libralady

Morning ladies

OK....i have to report that after putting vicks on my feet, my cough STOPPED! OMG.....im so totally a convert of this remedy. I have taken so many different cough suppressents over the last week which lasted maybe an hour or so, but within 5 minutes of slatherin the vicks on both feet then putting on a pair of socks, my irritating head banging cough just disppeared. About 15 minutes later i could taste the vapours of menthol in my mouth!

Im going to do more research on this. My sister told me the feet are extremely sensitive and reminded me about reflexology etc. im stunned to say the least. Apparently the vicks on feet remedy is used on children and is 100% effective......weird or what!

Anyway...off to see the breast surgeon this afternoon to discuss the MX. I have no idea what to expect so just going with the flow.

LGFB session was ok actually, and the goodie bag was well worth it. I added up all the contents last night and it came to £211! Shocking

gill13

Lisa - i've not heard of vicks on your feet either? has it helped? are you sure its not someone pulling your leg? lol

Gail - you're wise not to take any chances, especially if you are able too work from home, i'd not heard about Robin Gibb

Lulu - hope you get lots of rest now you have house to yourself in the day time again, and you're prob tired because you've been busy

well its back to work tomorrow for me, they're only expecting me in for 3 hours, then the same weds and fri, having day off on thurs as it's hospital for herceptin. then it'll be the weekend again, where did the week go.

I'll pop back in tomorrow, let you know how i got on, its going to be a bit strange as i'm going to a different office nearer to home, i'm sure it will be fine

speak soon ladies xx

gail5

Gill - That's great you had a good holiday. Hope you've had a good night's rest to recover from the driving.

Lisa - Glad to hear you're recovering a bit again. Haven't heard of the Vicks on feet treatment. Let us know if it works.

Lulu - Good you're getting on with life. Hope the energy levels pick up again soon.

Audrey - Hope you get some relief for the dry skin and your GP and Occ health appts go well so you don't have to go back to work just yet.

I was expecting to have a full week in the office, but have developed a bit of a cold so decided to work from home just now. I'm slightly paranoid about getting a secondary infection after hearing about Robin Gibb having pneumonia after his cancer treatment. I don't feel too bad really so wouldn't normally (pre-BC)have been at all concerned but as only 3.5 weeks post chemo, expect immune system will still be a bit low.

audreytoo

Hello All

LL - Hope your cough soon goes and you are feeling better. Not heard of putting Vicks on feet before.

Fairy - My last rads was 21 March. I think I am just very sensitive. I wasn't left to look after my skin on my own. I could ring the radiotherapy nurse anytime and if she was concerned about it she would call me in to the hospital. My skin is much much better now but I am awaiting a call back from the radio nurse as the new skin I have now is very dry and I want to know if I am still to use the dressings on it or whether I can use the cream. Where I have had problems with my skin is in the folds of the skin under my boob and it is where you sweat so I am bothered if I stop using the dressings my skin might go worse again. Hope you are ok and not suffering too much.

Werne - Hope your toenail is now ok and that your 1st rads went ok.

Amysmum - Hope all goes well for you starting rads today. Sorry to hear you have had a spot of lymphodema. Take care.

Gail - As I said to Fairy my skin is much better now. My skin underneath my boob was more like grey with black specs in it. I am sure you would have been called earlier for your MRI if they thought it was serious.

Gill - Glad you had a lovely time at Flamingoland.

Lulu - Take care - you will probably need a good rest when they have all gone back to school/college. I still get terribly exhausted/fatigued and I don't have any young ones to look after. Seeing my GP tomorrow and Occ Health the day after but there is no way I am ready for work yet.

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

Good luck to everyone who is having treatment this week.

Love to all
A xx

Lulu34

hello ladies sorry iv not been on much iv been pretty busy and when iv not been busy iv been pretty tired lol.

will hopefully get a chance to catch up a bit more when everybody is back to school and college this week.

xxxx

Libralady

Hi everyone

Glad you had a good time gill and anyone who managed to get a few days away over easter.

Im better than last week. Ive been left with the cough from hell which is truly awful at night. Im trying the vicks on my feet experiment tonight so i will report back whether it actually works. Has anyone else heard of this cough remedy?

At the look good feel better course tomorrow afternoon, had to cancel it in feb when i was in hossy, looking forward to it as my eyelashes are completely gone and my eyebrows are following them.

Anyway, love to all...... will pop in tomorrow eve and let you know how the course went.

Lisa

gill13

hi All

we're home from Flamingoland, and had a lovely time, we travelled up on friday, we were there by about 1, so had most of the afternoon and it was nice and sunny, then saturday was raining! 😞 so we went to York, to the yorvick centre and a wander around the shops, then today another wander around the park, a few more rides, there were a couple of quite scary ones which little one was tall enough to go on, so after some persuasion by big one and nagging from little one, i gave in and let her go on them. She is going to be a white knuckle ride fan for sure!
it was lovely to spend the time with them both with no other distractions such and boyfriend or frends knocking on the door.

Amysmum - glad to hear you had a good holiday too, and your hair has done well. I wasn't able to have immediate recon (i did ask) surgeon said it was because rads can sometimes affect implants if you have one
My arm was really hurting on sat, i think i'd slept funny on it, but i was worrying about lymphodema, its never ending all this worrying abiout one thing or another, luckily seems ok now.

Gail - glad to hear you've had your appointment for the mri scan, you're prob right that its not serious, at least its going to be checked out

Weme - hope your toe is better

Lisa and Kym - hoping that you two are both feeling better by now too

i think i've caught up with everyone who has posted since my last post, i hope everyone else is feeling ok too

Gill

Ps - rads skin still feeling itchy, (2 1/2 weeks post rads, feels a lot longer)
Bed now, i've done a lot of driving the last 3 days, night all xx

gail5

Forgot to mention MRI appt through for 30 April. Seems a long time to wait but reckon they would have pushed it through quicker if they thought the liver lesion was more likely to be serious. Think they just don't want to be sued in future if they ignored it and it's not benign.

gail5

Audrey - Sorry you've had so much bother with rads, grey/black skin sounds horrible. Hope occ health are understanding and you don't have to go back to work yet.

Weme - the toe infection sounds nasty too. Hope the ABs do the trick.

Linda - You're really brave going commando just now. I'm not quite there yet but hoping to go for it soon when I've got a little bit more hair on top. Still a bit sparse at the moment although it's growing quite fast.

Gill - Hope you're having a great time at Flamingoland and work isn't too trying when you go back.

Trudi - Hope the nails don't get any worse. Mine are horrible orange colour but haven't lost any yet, although could go later when the Tax bit comes through more.

Kym/Lisa - Hope you're both on the way up from the SEs.

AmysMum - Great to hear you had a good holiday. Hope the boob settles down and rads don't hit you too badly.

I picked up the Tamoxifen prescription yesterday and had the first one last night. Not noticed any extra SEs so far, but hard to tell when still have a bit of aches and hot flushes from chemo anyway.

AmysMum

Hi Ladies
Gill, hope you are having a good time at Flamingoland and that your daughter hasn't packed too many toys.
Trudi, well done on the weightloss.
Weme, hope the AB's are working and that your first radio session went well today.
Audrey, hope your skin is starting to heal.
Linda, hope your seroma isn't building up too much.
Fairy (sorry, I've forgotten your name), I hope the se's are going. My DH's 50th was in Feb and we haven't celebrated it yet. We are planning to do a party in the summer, but we haven't organised anything yet.
Well, I am back after my week's holiday. I didn't do too badly on the tiredness front. My Mother-in-law was with us and as she has just turned 80, we weren't exactly whizzing about. I did have to wear a hat in the swimming pool, as the thinning on top of my head (even with the cold cap) meant I kept going red on top.
If it has all worked, then there should be a picc of me now - taken by my daughter on the first day I was there. She did (of course) miss the thinning bit at the top of my head, but the hair you can see is all mine.
Not really looking forward to radio starting on Monday, especially as I overdid it playing air-hockey with Amy on the last day, so my boob has swollen up (spot of Lymphodema). So I am doing as little as possible over the weekend, so that it goes back down.
It is interesting to read everyone's views on reconstructions. I had an immediate one with Strattice mesh. It is still giving me a bit of trouble or maybe it is the missing lymph nodes. I know that if I do too much it swells up and swimming feels really odd, presumably where the muscle has been moved.
For those looking for cheaper pocketed bras, I saw a sign in my chemo unit about somewhere putting pockets into existing bras and swim-suits. I think it said that you could have 2 free bra-inserts and 1 swimsuit one per year. I will have a look when I am in on Monday and see what it says and report back. It may only be a local scheme.

weme

Hi all

I spoke to my GP today about my toe nail and she said it sounds like an infection so has put me on ab for a week and told me to go and see them if it isn't any better after that. Started them this evening, I hope it doesn't affect the rads, I must remember to tell them about abs tomorrow just in case.

Lisa, I hope you're feeling better soon.

Gill, enjoy your weekend away, it sounds like fun.

Teresa, I hope your Rads are going well, i hope to catch up with you soon

I hope everyone else is doing ok as well.

Weme

gill13

Lisa - sorry to hear you been feeling poo, "thanks mum for sharing" lol, but glad you are picking up now

Kym - she has been driving me mad today, its just been the 2 of us all day and its been non stop chatter, but yes she is very excited, she was packing a bag of things to take, which included half a dozen ds games, 2 teddies, 3 reading books (which are all a little bit old for her) perfume! and goodness knows what else, i haven't looked

i bought my ev prim from Asda so didn't speak to anyone, but my onc had said it would take a few weeks, my seemed to be better almost straight away, but i'm now thinking it might have been psychological!my fav topic at the mo seems to be hot flushes!

well i'm signing off now, may take laptop to Flamingoland, not sure if they have wif, but if i don't take it they will

Hope everyone has a good weekend xx

Fairy1518

Hi Lisa, just seen your post. I'm sorry you've been feeling so awful. Sending you ((((big hugs)))) xxxx

Fairy1518

Hi Ladies,

Gill, I Hope you have a fabulous time this weekend at Flamingoland - your little girl must be so excited!! 🙂 I saw your post on FB and she was asking lots of really cute questions. I haven't posted anything on there in such a long while coz I really haven't done anything remotely interesting for ages.

I hope the weather stays really good for you too - NO rain!!!! And yes, I hope it helps to draw the line under the last awful 6 months for you!! Xxxx

I must admit, I'm still not feeling brilliant. One minute I'm up, the next I'm down, and I'm shuffling about like an old lady with my tingling burning feet and toes. More than anything, I can't wait for my tastebuds to return! I reckon it'll be at least 4-6 weeks after the last chemo, well, I'm hoping so anyway. Yes, I keep telling my OH that I need to have something to look forward to Gill, when all this is over, which I'm guessing will be probably about the end of July or so. Its falling on deaf ears so, I think it's up to me to do something. Things are pretty tight at the moment, with us both being self-employed and only him working. It's my 50th birthday on the 18th May, but I really don't much feel like celebrating anything then, I'd rather do something when all this is behind me. A nice days pampering at a spa sounds appealing I think.

Trudi, 12lbs! That's brilliant! Think I'll do WW after all this. I did it about 20 years ago, and I lost the weight pretty quickly, and managed to keep at my goal weight for about 4 years. (well done on squeezing yourself into your 12s today, Gill, lol!)

Weme, I hope you've had your toe looked at, its not normal to have pus oozing out from under your nail 😞

I'm still having the dreaded hot flushes, altho I found they are tons worse the first weekend after having tax when I'm at my lowest. It'll be interesting to see what happens when I eventually start tamoxifen. Gill, did you ask when you got the Eve Primrose how long before you would notice the benefits? Trudi, how long have you been taking them? And just how gigantic ARE these tablets, lol?

Audrey, oh heck, you sound like you've really had a rough time of it with your rads. Your poor poor skin. How long ago was your last one? Do you see someone about it, you're not left to your own devices to look after it are you? Have you tried using 100% aloe Vera gel? I know different units have different opinions as re what you should or shouldnt use when ut comes to using creams. I used to have an aloe Vera plant, and the odd occasion I burnt myself cooking (not a regular occurrence, I'm not THAT clumsy, lol), I used to split open a 'leaf' and use the gel inside. It was excellent.

Lulu, I hope you are gaining more and more energy everyday and getting on with life too 🙂 xx and thanks for the link as re checking for lumps in recons.

Teresa, I hope rads is going well for you and your skin isn't suffering too much. The last leg of this horrid journey!! (unless you're going for recon of course, but that's a positive thing to happen). I went and got some of those secret support vests from Primark yesterday. They were on the top racks and just lifting my arms to get them down wore me out, lol. Especially when other ladies started asking me to pull them down for them too. I've never had so much exercise in ages!
Best of luck for when you start your rads in a couple of weeks Gail.
KTF, Hope all is going well for you too with rads.

Paula, I hope you're ok too. You've gone quiet again x

Linda, thank you for the virtual hugs, I needed them! xx How is your seroma doing? Is it getting better? Think I'm dreading the seroma afterwards more than having the mx! does everyone get a seroma afterwards?

I don't think I've overlooked anybody, but I'm so sorry if I have. It's so quiet on here these days isn't it. Lots of love to all you ladies xxx

Libralady

Hi there all

Hope everyone is good. Ive had a crap last few days since easter, just felt truly ill and so very very tired, then a managed to get my mums cold which has gone straight on my chest, Just feel like poo but starting to feel a bit better today - thank God that was the last Tax.

gill13

Trudi - definately a big well done on the weight loss, 8 weeks since finishing chemo and after weight gain at each chemo weigh in, weight has stabilized, i'm thinking maybe WW or SW, i think i need something to keep me focused.
I did give in and have bought a couple of size 14 jeans, and i needed some for work for next week, but today i squeezed myself into a pair of size 12's, Ok so i couldn't breathe, but i wore them!

Audrey - as the sun was out today, and i was packing a pair of 3/4 jeans for the weekend i have now shaved my legs. Had a good check on the armpits, no action required there yet 🙂
I had 2 occ health interviews, both were done over the phone, I spoke to a different person each time and they were lovely, i really felt they were on my side, the 1st time was in Jan when i'd been thinking of going back p/t but they made me realise i wasn't ready, this time i know i'm ready, but their report has detailed what my employers can do to help me, and they have agreed to all suggestions. I found it useful to have made notes before hand, how i was feeling both physically and emotionally and what adjustments i would like to be made for my return

i hope everyone else is doing ok, Kym hope you are now beginning to feel more like yourself, the end is in sight

Gill xx

audreytoo

Hello All

Werne - I have lost 3 fingernails but none of them oozed pus - I would see your GP incase you have an infection.

Linda - Seromas are really painfull. I had one but only had to have it drained once - oh what a relief. Hope it doesn't fill up again for you.

Gill - I am also going to need to shave my legs soon and pluck my eyebrows. I am so pleased that my skin is improving, it has been really horrible. Some of my skin is still grey/black and is coming off in little bits on my dressing. I still cream my skin with E45 but only the area not covered by the dressing. I just get the odd itch now and then. I make sure that I only wear 100% cotton vest tops next to my skin. I am still having trouble with my arm though, it is very stiff but I am trying to do the exercises. My armpit and down my side is also sore. Hope you have a lovely time in Flamingo Land. Good luck for starting back at work next week. Not sure when I will be going back to work, still too tired and exhausted and feel no where near ready for work. Work have referred me to occupational health so I am awaiting an appointment for that - not really sure what happens at these meetings - all new to me. I also have an appointment with my GP next week.

Troodles - I too have hot flushes. I was on HRT for 2 and a half years before BC. Stopped HRT immediately and hot flushes came back. I had them on and off whilst on chemo. Now taking Letrozole so can't really say whether the hot flushes I am getting are from the tablets or because I stopped taking HRT. Well done on the weight loss. I need to lose a stone. I have done weightwatchers a couple of times in the past and it really does work. My problem at the moment is that I am eating too much and have no willpower plus I can't do any awful lot. Did not know about fluid build up because of chemo. I wonder if having to drink so much fluid whilst having radiotherapy affects our weight was well.

Thinking of everyone.

Best wishes
Axx

Troodles

Gill- my hot flushes are back too, I have switched to taking the tamoxifen at night hoping that the flushes don't kick in till morning and I only get a few at night now. I am also taking evening primrose and they are huge!

On the weight front, I started on Weight Watchers 3 weeks ago and I have lost 12lbs. A lady I know who had BC last year told me the weight would drop off and I didn't really believe her. I think a lot of it is fluid build up from the chemo hence the weight loss. I thought this might help those of you that were as fed up with the weight gain as I was, it does seems to go quite quickly! Only another 12lbs to go now.

Nearly all my finger nails are white half way down the nail bed, although my toe nails that were the same have now recovered so I am hoping my finger nails don't go. Weme - I would see you Dr as sounds like it could be an infection.

Hair front - still not a lot happening, I guess I need to be more patient, not easy for me! lol

Take care ladies.

Trudi

gill13

hi all

Kym - i'm sorry that i've not been on here didn't for a few days so didn't see you were still feeling pants, pls give me a nudge on FB anytime. I hope by now you are beginning to feel a it more human, and things will get better, and life does start beginning to feel normal again. I think i'll always feel different though and its not even really to do with the mx, but i feel different inside, ican't even explain what i mean, sometimes i still feel detatched from it all, like its not really happened, my way of coping i suppose

My take on the hair front, is that legs are going to need shaving very soon! I thought it would have happened sooner than this.

Audrey - glad to hear your skin is improving, you did suffer with it. My skin is still a little bit sore and sometimes itchy, it does depend on what i'm wearing, some tops irritate more than others

Weme - your toe sounds like an ingrowing toenail 😞 ouch, i'd get it checked

Teresa - i might get some of those tops too, i don't bother pining sponge boob in, i only use in the evening and it rare for anyone to call then, but i don't like being lop sided. My sponge boob has gone quite flat now, i may have to get soem more stuffing for it!!

we're off on our trip to Flamingoland on Friday, and actually Kym, someone suggested having something to look forward to, thats a good idea, i booked this in Feb and for me its almost like drawing a line under the past 6 months, as its last weekend before I go back to work, i start back next tuesday (thank you teacher training day on mon) I have mixed feelings about going back, but am only doing 3 hours on my 1st day, which will be spent having a welcome back meeting and trying to get back on the computer

Btw - hot flushes are back!! and i hate taking the evening primrose, they often get stuck on way down... they're too big

To bed now, take care everyone xx

linda1804

Good evening

An update on my seroma, I had it drained twice last week and then again today. I am keeping everything crossed that it doesnt fill up again, it certainly got me down over the last few days as it became really painful and I couldnt sleep.

On the hair front, as Ive said mine is growing back although its white ! Its very fine but I made the decision on saturday that I wouldnt wear scarfs or hats anymore so I go out with my little old man look :-).. I actually feel better for it.

I see my Onc on 20th April so hopefully the rads meeting will start soon afterwards.

Weme - sorry I have only had the bruising on my toes so cant help. Might need to get to the doctors.

Audrey - Im glad your skin is starting to get better after rads. I had my operation for ANC on 21st March and my arm feels very tender and really tight, trying to keep up with the exercises and climbing the wall..

Gail - Hope your rads get started and everything runs smoothly. Talking birthdays its mine next wednesday, looking forward to a nice day and evening. Hope you do too for yours. I started my Tamoxifen 3 weeks after chemo, I wasnt sure where to go for the repeat prescription but I assume its the doctors.

Lulu - I hope you are feeling well.

Kym - I hope you too are starting to feel alot better. I know it is hard and when the crying starts its hard to stop. I can only send hugs and love xx

Teresa - Hope you are now feeling well and that your rads go well.

Trudi - Hi, I too feel a bit envious of everyones hair, I want mine back to make me feel more like me..

Well my daughter and friend have just made a den in the garden... I was too sore to go and watch over them... They have just shown me and I find they have used 10 of my double sheets and the dogs have walked their muddy paw prints all over them ! Ha ha , at least they enjoyed themselves...

Hope you are all having a lovely evening.

Linda
xx

weme

Hi all

I hope you are all doing ok. I have started my rads and have had 4 of 13 so far. The skin seems a bit more sensitive but it is so difficult to know whether it's the rads or if it is just after effects of the mx op.

I have a question, my big toe nail has turned all white and there is clear pus oozing out from the top and sides, I know some of you have lost your nails but can you tell me if they oozed or not? Is this a sign of an infection behind the nail? Should I go and see my GP about it or will it just drop off?

Weme

audreytoo

Hello All

Most unusual no one has posted for over 24hrs. I hope everyone is too busy enjoying themselves to post and not posting because they are suffering side effects.

Love to all
A xx

audreytoo

Hi All

Just lost all my typing so having to start again. Have read all the posts but can't remember what everyone is up to so hope all getting on ok. Sorry I can't speak to you all separately.

Daisy - Good to hear from you again, I have been thinking about you. Glad your op went ok.

LL - Well done on finishing chemo. Hope you are not suffering too much with side effects.

KFT - Good luck for starting rads and to anyone else who is starting.

Fairy - Sorry to hear that you have been suffering so much. Take care of yourself.

An update on myself - I have a full head covering of hair but not long enough for me not to wear a hat, scarf or wig. My eyebrows and eyelashes are back as well. I have lost 3 fingernails so far and the others all look on the way out. Not sure if anything will happen with my toenails,has anyone lost theirs.

My skin is starting to get better after radiotherapy. My skin has been an awful mess where my boob and midriff meet, but it has now gone from bright red to pink and has stopped weeping. I am still using the silicone dressings though. Some of the skin in that area is still grey/black and is still peeling. I am still using E45 cream everywhere else where I have had radiotherapy. I have read what you have all said about vest tops and bras. I need to think what to do as I have not worn any support since I started radiotherapy, but I need my skin to heal first.

I had my DEXA scan last week. It will take 6 weeks for my GP to get the results.

I have to keep trying to remember to do my arm excercises. My arm seems to have stiffened with the radiotherapy, my upper arm is still numb, tingly and sore and I am also sore down my side.

I still get very tired and exhausted and feel no way ready to go back to work. My boss has referred me to Occ Health so I am awaiting that appointment. I do an awful lot of typing and I am not sure how much that will affect my arm.

Hope everyone had a good Easter. I had a lovely time at my son's.

Hope everyone who is having treatment this week gets on well.

Love to all

A xx

gail5

Teresa - Loved the new pic. I'm suffering from serious hair envy now.

Trudi - I'm still losing hair, but I'm only 3 weeks post chemo and have more growing in than coming out now at least. I'm also getting impatient but it's going to take time to get the poison out of our systems too.

Liz - Sorry you're nails are going. Hope you don't lose any more of them.

Gill - I'm already thinking about what to wear before surgery. I can never make up my mind about tops now and end up not buying anything.

Kym - Sorry you're suffering so much. Hope it gets better soon.

Lulu - Good to hear you're busy, not so good you're feeling tired.

I had my rads planning session today. Was a bit disappointed as thought I'd be starting treatment on 24 April but first session is just a verifiction check and won't get first zap until next day. Will finish on 24 May. Get a day off on my birthday and also day after, but think that's just a coincidence.

GP surgery phoned as they have the letter through to start Tamoxifen, so will see GP on Thursday to get the ball rolling on that one too.

Lulu34

lumps in recons are usually easily palpable as they can be felt on the surface or at the peripheries... usually occur at the site of the original cancer or near the scar....

also found this...
http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertreatment/Treatmenttypes/Surgery/Breastreconstru...

will try to catch up in a few days... just been too busy or too tired 🙂

take care ladies xxxx

Fairy1518

Teresa, I wish you all the very best for your radiotherapy!! xx and hope it goes smoothly for you - most ladies seem to say that after chemo it's a doddle, I truly hope it is! Some have said it can make you tired, but I'm sure it can't be ANYthing like chemo tired can it?! Has your unit told you what creams you can or can't use? It's odd that some have been told not to use creams, and others have been recommended creams. Aloe Vera seems a good choice. I'm very fair skinned and always slap on the Factor 30+ when away, so should be interesting when it's my turn.
As re checking for lumps after recon, there must be a procedure of some sort, or thy wouldn't do recons, surely . . .?
And thanks for the tip as re tops at Primark. As soon as I feel well enough, I'm off up town. I hope you feel better soon x
Trudi, I'm sure your new hair will start growing soon, like Teresa said, her hair also fell out again at about 3 and 5 weeks. I used the cold cap, but it hasn't worked anywhere near as well as Gills. Perhaps it's coz my hair was curly? I have to wear scarves to cover the very thin patch on top, and I have another chemo to go yet. I may have it cut mega mega short after its all done with, which makes ne wonder why I really bothered with the cc in the first place, but I guess if I hadnt, I'd never have known. And I really DON'T suit short hair at all! I look like a man 😞
Gill, how are you? I don't think it can be the Tamoxifen SeS kicking in so soon.
I still feel damn miserable, but hoping that I start to come out of this pit very soon. I'm sick of crying and have had enough of myself!
Kym Xx

keepthefaith

Hi guys just a quickie

Troodles don't worry it will start coming back quickly I'm sure. I finished last chemo and then between 3 and 5 weeks I had hair loss again, buit it didn't all fall out and since then has been growing thick and fast (but I am lucky as my hair is normally really thick and coarse anyway). it is horrible being without hair so I hope it starts quickly. Keep us updated!

Kym. Look in the lingerie / nightwaear section in Primark. I got 10 vest tops with hidden support shelf for £2.50 each. I am still using them as I am still with sponge boob triangle pinned on the inside, 5 weeks post Mx - it's still uncomfortable for long with normal bra. And yes there is life after all this horribleness, although I know how you feel - had felt I was moving on a bit but now I start radio tomorrow, hope it isn't going to set me back. Thanks for the hair comment!Hope you are feeling less weepy and more positive. Suggest you get some things organised that you will have to look forward to! That's what keeps me going - holidays!

Liz - an interesting point about how would you feel a lump if you had a recon. no-one has told me what / where to check in the future...

Gill mine is sponge boob triangle too! I have no cleavage at all, totally flat, in fact sometimes Ithink it is even indented!

Have been poorly so haven't managed to get the tamox yet - i guess I will sort it tomorrow.

Wish me luck girls, with the rads.... Feeling slightly nervous.

Teresa xx

Troodles

I am 5 weeks post last chemo and I have some hair, but extremely sparse, I have also noticed some of it is falling out again as well although is getting better every day, is anyone else like this as photos show must of you getting a full head of hair?

I know its not going to happen overnight but I just want my hair back....:(

Trudi

Fairy1518

Hi Gill,
Yes, I keep thinking that I've felt very low before but managed to climb out of it. But it seems to be getting harder and harder. Everyday life reminds me that I'm not normal and not like everyone else. And I can't shake that feeling off. I know that last time I thought I was sinking into depression, but then, a couple of days later, I managed to perk up. Hopefully, that will happen again!
No, I don't have any sports tops with hidden support. I need to go and have a look.
How are you feeling? Do you feel that there actually is a life after all this horribleness? Please say you do, lol, I need to be inspired!!!
Kym xx

gill13

Hi Kym
its pants that you're feeling rubbish again and hopefully you can bear in mind that you did feel like this before and you did come out the other side feeling positive once more
I wouldn't worry too much about bras right now, i don't think i wore one for at least a week after, do you have any sports type tee shirts with hidden support, i wore one of those straight after, gave a bit of support for good boob and it kept sponge boob in place too
you will be fine with it, look at all of us on here who had mx and we've survived, and I agree thank goodness for recon. At least we're not just expected to get on with it we do have options

Take care xxx

Fairy1518

Sorry I've been so quiet, but I've been really down the last 3 days. I know it's those damn SEs but it never gets any easier! I managed to get out of bed today, have a bath to ease my aching bones and wash my hair. But it took me an absolute age as I'm as doddery as a 90 year old! And I seem to have done nothing but cry and feel sorry for myself too! Where did that positive lady go??!! I'm hoping I'll start feelIng much better tomorrow, because Easter has been a damp squib so far!
Paula, thank you for sharing your experience as re your mx. I know not to be frightened, but it's a helluva thing to have to go through. I'm dreading it, but most ladies do seem to have taken the physical side of it in their strides. Like you say, it's the emotional side of it that's a different story. But thank God there is recon. Altho I dread hospitals and operations - but if we can get through chemo and all that entails, then surely an op must be easier to cope with.
How is the soreness and bruising? Is it getting better everyday? And what about your tastebuds? Are they coming back? My mouth feels like its been scalded, altho it's not sore, and I've had no tastebuds since last November to speak of. Had a look at the BHS bra link, no size 12s left, but they recommend a bigger size anyway for after the op don't they? I really need to start looking at my underwear and clothes, I just keep looking in my wardrobe and thinking 'can't wear that, won't be able to wear that', need to get my act together! All I've bought for the hospital and my mx so far is a front fastening nightshirt. It's got long sleeves and I'm dreading wearing it in hospital coz I know I'm gonna be almost passing out with the heat and hot flushes/sweats.
Gill, that sounds a lovely idea for your daughter. We've done things like that in the past and have really enjoyed it!
Liz, I'm intrigued as to what sort of cleavage your surgeon always leaves when she does a mx! Will ask mine about that! Hope your nails are improving. Mine are all breaking halfway down the nail bed at the mo, I've got plasters on most of my finger ends so I don't catch them, yuck!
KTF - well impressed with your new hair! I've been wearing the cc, and my hair is awfully thin. Had 7 chemos, one more to go, so really hoping that not much more falls out now.
Lisa, I hope you are ok and not suffering too much with the effects of the last chemo?
Oh well, off to bed. I really hope I'm feeling a little better and more positive tomorrow. I HATE feeling so fed up and weepy!!!
Kym xxx

gill13

happy easter everyone, hope Lisa and Kym are not feeling too bad following their chemos

i was laughing at sponge boob too, mine would be sponge boob triangle lol..

I have to say that i am very conscious about what tops i now wear although i have a bit if a cleavage, but its nothing to do with the surgeon having left it, i've always had a what i thought was a funny, high breast bones, but i suppose has done me a bit of a favour now.

I'm not so sure that the evening primrose is working so well now, the past couple of nights i've not slept as well, but i'm wondering if it could be that both nights i've had a few drinks? i'll see how i am tonight.

Teresa/ gail - i've also thought about double mx, i've got my appoint May 16th to discuss recon and i'll be asking about risk reducing surgery then too, I would rather be totally flat than lop sided too.

Kym - i booked a party for little one, its a local shop where the kids decorate small models of unicorns, dragons or cakes, they get to keep what they've made, i might even do one myself

well i think i'd better got dressed now, and some chocolate is needed 🙂

Gill x

Lulu34

Will read more tomoz as heading to bed but lolled at Paula as I read your message as you were wearing your SPONGE BOB..... Thought you were gonna say t-shirt tthen realised it was a spongebob round boob.

Hope alls going well will reply more personally next time.

Lxxx

Butterfly_61

Evening Ladies,

Spoke too soon - noticed yesterday that one of my fingernails had a crack along one of the chemo ridges and it has just peeled off but have new nail underneath. Wonder if the rest will go the same way as most of my toenails have done so. Finished Tax mid-December so has taken a while.

Theresa: My female BS "always leaves a cleavage" my BCN told me. At the mo don't want reconstruction for 2 reasons. Couldn't face another op and it bothers me that if there was a local recurrence how would you be able to feel a lump? As far as I am aware they don't do mammos on reconstructions.

Take care all and have a lovely Easter weekend.

Love, Liz, x

keepthefaith

Just a quickie as I was just on putting my new profile pic up - thought I would show off my new hair!! I am really pleased it has grown back really thick and fast, and people don't really look twice at me any more as it was short anyway, and Stroud is full of hippy / unusual types! no comment 😉

Quickie though - Paula not sure yet about recon. Gail good luck with Tamox - I should have started but will do next week instead I think as I have been so poorly this week. Liz - have you had recon? (you said you had a cleavage!)

If anyone wants ot hook up on FB, please PM me!!

Teresa x

gail5

Lisa - Congratulations on finishing chemo. Hope SEs aren't as bad this time for both you and Kym.

Linda - Hope the seroma settles down soon.

Gill - Good to hear the Evening Primrose helps with hot flushes. I was never too sure if I had them on chemo as only seemed to get them when the weather was mild, but might come in handy when I start Tamoxifen.

Paula - I think it must only be natural to be a bit emotional just now. You do make me laugh thinking about your sponge boob. Let us know if the Genie bras are any good.

Teresa - I think if I went for a double Mx I'd be tempted to go flat too. Would definitely want recon at some point rather than being lopsided. My unit seems to be keen on the LD flap option too.

Lizzy - I'm so pleased your 6 month check was clear. You really seem to be getting on with your life just now.

Liz - Hope everything goes well next week for your scan and 6 month check too.

My onc has decided it's a good idea for me to start Tamoxifen just now along with the rads so just to wait a few days for the letter to come through to my GP to get it organised. I'm not letting the lesion worry me too much as sounds like they're fairly common and usually benign.

Butterfly_61

Afternoon Ladies,

Haven't posted for a while as things have been busy here. Had eldest son and family for a few days and his brothers visiting too.

I have had 2 more Herceptin and started Letrozole 4 weeks ago and, so far, no side effects. Still have hot flushes but getting fewer and less intense. Bone pain is not as bad but still there all the time. My hair is slowly coming back and fingernails growing at a great rate. Lost some toenails but new growth underneath so look normal. Wish my energy would come back. I can do more than I could a few weeks ago but I'm usually knackered after a short burst of activity and still need to rest a lot.

I have my Dexa scan on Tuesday and then 6 month check-up for mx. Got next heart function echo on 24th May before review a week later. I'm just having telephone consultations before Herceptin instead of having to go to chemo unit for bloods and onc nurse appointment.

I had my mx 10 days after diagnosis so didn't have time to think about it and didn't really feel emotional as a nurse counsellor in Maggie's described it as having a diseased piece of tissue removed. Like Daysie I had no painkillers and full movement in my arm and was told that is not uncommon.

Daysie: I also have a cleavage and at Christmas wore a low-cut dress and my DiL was amazed at how good I looked. She said that although she knew I had had a mx she would never have been able to guess. I can still wear all my low-cut tops/dresses and nothing is obvious to anyone else. Although it may take a lot for me to wear one outwith family without feeling self-conscious.

Hope everyone is doing well. Happy Easter to all of you!

Take care all, love, Liz, x

Daysie

Hi everyone

Thanks for all your best wishes messages.

For anybody facing mastectomy over the next few weeks I just thought I'd share my experience this week.

I'm 4 days after right boob removal and I'm feeling OK, not too sore and bruising only slight, much less bruising than when I had the original biopsy. I can sleep ok, no discomfort, no painkillers, no drainage, all very surreal. The dressing strip is about an inch wide and a foot long, goes from mid chest to under the armpit, feels secure and tight. It's waterproof and bathing hasn't affected it.

I'm feeling emotionally numb, and sad for my missing boob when I look down, I think when I get my prothesis (external outplant) to put inside my pocket bras, I will feel a bit better, because there won't be a noticeable boob missing. It's hard to decide what to wear as my sponge boob needs to be secure and I hsvent many clothes that will hold it securely. I have a couple of new mastectomy bras, which are very pretty (£40 each!!) and today I've ordered a pack of 3 Genie Bras from BHS they are free delivery with 20% off this weekend in black, nude and white, they look ideal to hold a prothesis or sponge boob round pants lol.

I didn't think too much about mastectomy until a couple of weeks before the operation, because I was too chemo'd to think straight, appetite returning (hope I don't put weight back on) and energy levels starting to get better, although I still hop into bed when I can. I do find it awkward with the OH, having to think about all my false bits, wig, sponge boob, contact lenses, dental plate, etc etc, things could be much worse, at least all these things are disguisable and don't hinder my every day activities, other than work at the moment. When I look at the 'starting chemo in May' link it reminds me of what a journey we have all been through and how we were when we first started out...very scared.

Kym, glad you're almost finished with chemo, don't worry too much about your operation, you will be fine, it doesn't hurt as much as you imagine. I definately want a reconstruction in a few months time, hopefully using excess fat and tissue lol, have enough spare! Will cross that hurdle after my radio therapy next month. Our plastic surgeon in Norwich is Elaine Sassoon, I have heard she is world class in excellence, she is the only one in her league here.

Not having a boob is costing me loads of money in rethinking my underwear and clothing, travelling, loss of income, etc etc, but at least I'm surviving these awful past few weeks and come through chemo and mastectomy and at last starting to feel human again. Although the dreaded constipation has returned, due to the anesthaetic :o( had prune juice, coffee and senokot, hoping for results later lol...

LINK TO GENIE BRAS
http://www.bhs.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/bhsstore/1551010

Hope I haven't waffled on too much, having a lazy day without OH, so wigless, boobless, toothless, and in my nightee lol.

Teresa - glad to hear you're doing well too, it is very strange and a relief at the same time, are you having a Recon?

Just another thought...missing boob is just the removal of Bad Contaminated Fat...the only thing that is really missing at the moment is my nipple (aeriola?). The fat can eventually be replaced and a nipple reconstructed, so all in all things could have been much worse, trying to think positively, things haven't really turned out as bad as I thought they were in Oct 2011...

Have a GOOD Friday

Paula xx

Fairy1518

Hello Ladies,
It's 2pm and I'm still lieing in bed- Shocking!!!! But the chemo fog is comin down. Hopefully it won't be so bad this time, only one more to go! Well done on your last one, Lisa!
Paula, it sounds as tho you are healing well, which is great. I guess my MX will be about end of May, early June. I know I'm not thinking too much about it at the mo because I'm still on with chemo, but I will feel just like you. I know it's much easier in comparison to going thru chemo, but it's still a huge deal, having bits of you taken away. I can't quite get my head around that yet. Nor do I have any idea as to what sort of recon I would go for, all I know is that I definately want one. I can't bear the thought of having a constant reminder of what has happened to me staring me in the face everyday.
Teresa, hope you are starting to feel better after your bout of man flu! Sounds nasty 😞
Linda, how are you bearing up with the seroma? I hope its not too painful, Tuesday is an awful long time to wait if it's getting very uncomfortable for you.
Gail, I hope you're ok and I know it's easy for me to say, but please try not to worry about your lesion. I hope you get your scan soon to put your mind at rest x
Gill, hope you managed to sort out something for your daughters 7th birthday party. Looking at your FB pics, she's so cute! Hope that Evening Primrose still working?!
Audrey, is your skin getting any better?
Lizzy, great news at your 6 month check up x
Hmm, wish the weather would brighten up, it was so beautiful yesterday. I need my spirits lifting 🙂
Happy Easter everyone xx

Lizzy1977

Evenng ladies, Theresa, hope you feel better soon,

Libralady, congrats in finishing chemo! 🙂

Paula, glad you are healing well. It is a lot to get used to at first, I only have small boobs and found it strange at first but I am kind of used to it now.

Gill, I know what you mean about reading. When I was having my chemo I couldn't read books as I found it too confusing. The same went for complex plots in films. It does get better though

Linda, glad you are doing ok. Hope your seroma clears up

I had my 6 monthly check after my MX today and the surgeon seemed quite happy with things. I just wish these hot flushes would stop so I can have a decent night's sleep!

Lizzyxx

keepthefaith

OOh Paula our posts crossed - glad to hear you are doing OK physically, at least. Thank goodness the dark days of chemo are behind you, now to just come to terms with your Mx. Are you having rads too? I got loads of nice cards and flowers too, it's so nice to know people are thinking of you isn't it?

You are not half a woman - you are all woman!!! And a very strong one at that - don't forget it 😉

keep fighting the fight!

T xx

keepthefaith

Hi

Excuse the lateness in commenting - have been laid up in bed with a serious bout of man-flu (it came from my husband!!) - all 4 of us in bed with a temperature and chesty cough, feeling rubbish!

Lisa I just wanted to comment on what you said about the Mx. I'm not saying I sobbed, really just leaked ( a lot! ) - it all seemed so final, somehow. Having said that, once I came round and had a look it didn't seem so bad. So glad you have finished chemo though - it's such a relief isn't it? You have had it really bad with the side effects but have kept smiling through it all. R.E.S.P.E.C.T !!

I only have small breasts so they were talking about a back-flap recon if anything, but I really just want to get on and live my life for now without having to undergo what is a very major operation - maybe a year so down the line - maybe..... I want to go to a presentation as well though to find out more. In fact part of me is thinking abouthaving preventative Mx on other side as well, so I can just go flat if I want to (would be fine in winter months). You probably will all think I am really weird, but just mulling all this stuff over at present, no need to rush into a decision.

I am going to try Evening primrose I think too, esp when I start the tamox.

I've heard from Judes - she only has 2 more sessions of chemo to go now too.

Linda - it's a real bummer the seromas are so weird, I had one drained on a Friday and by Saturday it was totally full to stretching all the skin, looked like I had grown another boob for a while there! Honestly don't know if it was the steroid that did the trick, but there was only a little fluid after that. I was lucky as I was supposed to just see the BCN, but my surgeon happened to see me , so called me in so she could have a look and she drained it in person (the BCN was making a hash of it) and then popped the steroid jab in. I think that was the 3rd or 4th time I had been in.

Gail, will catch up with you on the April rads thread - you are going through the mill with all this, aren't you? I see some fluffy hair growing on your head now, which is great to see.

I start rads on Tues next week - assuming I'm well enough - do they postpone if you are ill, I wonder?....

Happy Easter to all

Teresa xxx