1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo in Nov 2011

Lizzy1977

Re: Starting Chemo in Nov 2011

Hi ladies, I've been reading your posts but mow I'm back at work I haven't had time to post.

I hope those still haveing chemo are ok and the SEs are not too bad

Good luck to those having rads.

My fingers are still numb 5 weeks post my last TAX but they aren't bas bad as they were and I seem to have more energy now.I have even been able to go back to running (albeit slowly)

I just keep getting hot flushes every night from the Tamox so wake up eery couple of hours!

I'm off on holiday on Saturday so can't wait. I'm going to Austria skiing although I suspect there will be a lot of relaxing and not so much skiing!

take care everyone
Lizzyx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Nov girls,

Had chemo 5 today (Tax2)so only one more to go - can't wait to get this chemo done.

Weme - great news on the lymph nodes . Hoping we can meet up again soon.Perhaps with Linda as we a re all having rads at Cheltenham?

LL - crikey Tax has been really tough on you. That means it must have hammered the bl***y cancer too I'm sure.

Hope all the rest of the Nov gang are ok. Love to all.

Debbie x

gill13

Linda - good luck for weds, like some of the others i came home with drains still in, you have a cloth bag which is tied around your waist so they're not hanging loose, it is scary but you'll be well looked after.

Audrey - hope your infection clears quickly, the area where i'm having rads is quite red now, and the area around my side seems to be a bit sore too, i'm also finding when they have to shift my position slightly, its a bit uncomfortable.

weme - great news only 2 nodes affected

I picked up my last sick note today, i'm signed off until the 6th April, but am taking a weeks leave and are due back tues 17th April, i feel really apprehensive about going back, Doc would have signed me off for a further 8 weeks, but finance are dictating i go back sooner, Boo....

seems so many of us are feeling exhausted, i hope everyones energy levels pick up soon

Gill x

filosofie

Good news Weme, only 2 nodes, must be a relief for you. Linda I found one of the worst things was having to sleep on my back, especially on a hard hospital bed. V shaped pillow a good idea as is using pillows at your side to support your arm but also stop you rolling over. I was lucky with drains, one was taken out very quickly, the other hung around a bit longer, but once you get used to having a rather clingy pet it's ok. Kym I had an infection after my last tax so my picc line was taken out. They're reluctant to put in another because of risk of another infection and it is an invasive procedure.

2nd rads today. Went ok but they were servicing one of the machines so after a long day at work I didn't really appreciate a 40 minute wait. Still better than the 3 hour wait for chemo last Friday because of staff shortages. I felt really sorry for the nurses having to hang around till 8. How do they stay so supportive?

weme

Hi All

Just got back from getting my results. 22 nodes out, only 2 had cancer in them - I'm told this is good. All other cancer removed and they don't want to see me again until yearly mamogram in October. Next stop is radiotherapy which starts in April, Linda, I will be getting my rads in Cheltenham as well and I recommend the V shaped pillow, really comfortable.

LL I hope you're feeling better soon, you're nearly there and it feels really good when you've had your last one.

I've been working this week, only from home and certainly not a full day but may have to start setting my alarm and getting up a bit earlier - must try and do a full days work soon.

Love to everyone, hope you're all doing well.

Weme

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

Teresa - yes i will be having all my rads at cheltenham, I have an appointment with my ONC a week after surgery which I assume will start the ball rolling for the rads.

Lisa - you are nearly there, I hope your side effects start to get better and big hugs coming your way 🙂

Thanks reference the V shaped pillow, I will search the internet for one now.

Hope everyone is doing okay and I will catch up soon.

Linda
xx

Libralady

Hi everyone,

Just checking in, ive spent the last 2 days in bed, i cant seem to wake up out of myself, i thinkthis TAX is finally pushing the boundaries with me. My body feels really odd and th ack pain is omething else. Im popping ibruprofen like no-ones business.

Had the whole family round for mothers day it wax lovely but boy i think it tipped me over the edge....im so knackered.

My mouth is so grotty..yuk......ah well, one more TAX to go.

Hope everyone is well xxx

keepthefaith

Hi.
Linda, yes as Audrey says do get a V shaped pillow - I have found it very helpful. I had mastectomy and full clearance and an overnight stay, drains taken out before I went home, as my surgeon prefers to do that and then drain with a syringe afterwards if there is any more fluid. Good luck for Wednesday, you're not far away from me, I had my op in Gloucester, will you be having rads in Cheltenham?

Still struggling with the cording after the op, but certainly beginning to feel much better in myself, although I have no energy reserves! Hoping all will be improved if I keep on with my exercises!

love to all
Teresa

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello All

Had my 13th rad today-2 to go. Had to see the nurse and she thinks I have an infection in my boob so has given me antibiotics. Also the skin under my boob is very red so I have been given dressings to keep it dry and not to use cream there. Also had bloods taken.

It seems a few of us are having trouble with our nails.

Linda - hope all goes well for you on Wed. I had lumpectomy and SNB last July and was in overnight, in Sept I had node clearance and a bit more of breast tissue taken away, I was in a few nights. I had drains and I bought a small shoulder bag to put them in so that I could carry them around with me. The drains are manageable just don't forget and jump out of bed, need to remember to carry the drain bag with you.I found that I needed to sleep proped up in bed and I had a pillow to lie my affected arm on. I also bought a V shaped pillow for sleeping. Hope this helps. Will think of you.

Hope everyone is progressing well.

Love to all

Axx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello everyone

Well I am all due for my lumpectomy and node clearance on wednesday this week, starting to feel really anxious and worried about the operation and the drains. I am booked into worcester as a day case so assuming I will be in and out the same day. All quite scary....

I started my tamoxifen last friday as instructed by my Onc so I hope that was the right thing to do.

I have been extremely tired over the last few weeks, I think the last tax fully topped me up !

My fingernails have all of a sudden gone horrible, with ridges and an orangy colour. Im just hoping they dont drop off.

Kym - I hope you are feeling well, no more ironing 🙂

Troodles - Good luck with you rads on 26th.

Audrey - I hope you had a lovely time at the craft centre.

Gill - I like your new pic, Im tempted to change mine with my fluffy growth of white hair !!! Why is it on all other parts of the body it is growing back dark brown but on my head where it is white !

I hope everyone who is having treatment this week goes well.

Linda
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hmm, yes, dunno why I even attempted to do the ironing yesterday, must have been mad! Think it was me trying to rush myself back into normality, but it backfired big time! I normally just fold stuff up as it comes out of the dryer, without bothering to iron, but OH sorted out washing this weekend, and just left a pile of damp clothes all over the place. Anyway, learnt my lesson, won't be doing that again! Yes, think I had a bit of low pressure, Lulu. I've never experienced that before with this chemo. I nearly keeled over twice at MILs yesterday too, so ended up, eating, and then lieing down for 2 hours. Great fun I was!
I've had 2 Tax, Gill. But I'm sure the taste buds thing is worse this time (or is that my imagination, I don't know?) I'm definately taking longer to come out of the chemo fog this time. All I've done the last 5 days is lurch from either bed to sofa, or sofa to bed. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day and I can get out instead of staring wistfully out of the windows 🙂
Filosofie, now you come to mention it, why has your Picc line been taken out of you are still having chemo? Is it because it can't be worn whilst having rads? Hmm, don't think I'd enjoy going for chemo and bloods without my Picc line either, coz they are a Godsend aren't they.
My fingernails are splitting too. I keep moisturising, when I can remember. I've been using that OPI stuff, but don't think it's working.
Trudi, and everyone else on rads, hope all goes well this week. Lulu, are you nearly finished with rads now? And anyone still on chemo too. If I stick with it (which I'm sure I will, but will doubtless have 2 more paddies in the meantime), I'll have the last Tax on 23rd April. Seeing my surgeon on May 8th to discuss mx and rads. So it may be June/July before I'm all done and dusted.
Kym xx

Lulu34

Filosophie sorry your feeling sick on the CMF.... Hope your antimetics are helping and good luck with rads..... Pounds like hard oing have rads and hemo at the same time..... I thought my unit was bad making me have rads 3 weeks after my last chemo. Lol also good luck with the cold cap..... I agree with you if you have done it so far no point giving up now.

Trudi sorry your Picc line got blocked but glad your now free of it.... Hope all goes well with rads.

Kym forget ironing.... Your more important than unwrinkled clothes.... I to felt weak and dizzy fora fe days each cycle with the tax and just had to lie down where I was a couple of times or I'd have fainted.... Usually when standing still.... Like when peeling potatoes or cooking (my DN said don't do it).... Think it has a lot to do with low blood pressure..... Once I'm down I feel better again.

Audrey your nails sound similar to mine with the white bit half way down.... But they are getting better although still look like I am a nail biter and heavy smoker... They are almost normal length... The white bit is back to the op for most of my nails but they are till peeling and breaking easily and still have the chemo ridges so I recon it I'll be another 6 months or so till they grow out completely and my nails will get back to normal.

Hope alls well with the rest of the novemberteenies lulu xxx

gill13

kym, i do feel for you re taste buds, how many tax have you had? my taste buds were hit really bad after the 1st tax but not so bad with the rest, so you never know it could be the same for you. and i have to agree with Audrey re- ironing, i probably only iron half the stuff compared to what i used to, now if i can get away with it, i will 🙂

filosofie - i can also stretch my arm over my head to touch my ear, i didn't know i could until i read your post, so of course i had to try it! i have been thinking about reconstruction, and have appointment may 2nd with consultant who did my mx, i think he did a skin saving mx too as he knew i wanted recon although no tissue expander used.
I went to a talk on reconstuction recently and the lateral recon, seemed to be a preferred method where possible, apparantly the scars on back tend to be hidden by the bra strap, but you're right about longer recuperation. I also want to discuss risk reducing surgery with me to my right side

trudi - good luck with starting rads next week

hope all you mums had a good day today, my day was started by little one bringing me breakfast in bed, an actimel yoghurt as it was the only thing she could reach. big daughter bought me a cd, but forgot to collect it from the cust service desk at morrisons, so i'll have to wait for that, she was really cross with herself.
and we had an afternoon stroll along the prom (training for my Race for Life lol)

Gill x

filosofie

Hi Fairy and everyone else

Although I've stepped out from under the tax truck I do still have 2 lots of chemo to go so will not be finished till mid May. I'm a little apprehensive about the rads on top but at least it means I won't have anything after May (except 5 years of Letrozole and reconstruction). I have the opposite view from you and Trudi on my PICC line. Yes I can have baths now, and wasn't told to treat the area any differently afterwards, but there is a real downside to having chemo and bloods without one. But once you're finished I guess it's another sign of moving on.

I had the tissue expander put in to keep my options open on reconstruction. Neither my PS or I were keen on immediate reconstruction because of the effect of rads and it might have delayed chemo. So I had a skin saving mastectomy and a tissue expander put it with some saline in it and had two more fills before chemo. If the rads aren't too bad on the skin I won't need so much skin from somewhere else. Of course it's also allowed me to put off decisions about reconstruction. PS thinks lateral ??? (from the back) would give me the best result. But I still wonder if it's worth mutilating another part of my body and going through more months of recuperation for a slightly better 2nd class breast. So I may still just go for an implant. Anybody else making decisions on reconstruction.

Fingernails have an interesting nicotine stripe but at least are pink by the cuticles, toenails more plum coloured but I'm hoping I've got away with it. Hair also still hanging in there. Nurses think I'm a bit mad to carry on with the cold cap on CMF but they'd have to drag me kicking and screaming from it now. Gill's new picture has given me further determination.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello All

I have read all the posts but have difficulty in remembering what everyone is up to.

Filosophie - I was very sick with my first FEC so I was given Emend to take for future chemos. I took it 1hr before chemo and for two days after.

Gill - like your photo. That was a long time to be there for rads but they are only being cautious redoing your planning. I have just 3 rads to go. Skin not too bad mostly just pink but going red in a few places and only little itches every now and then.

Fairy - Just take it easy and don't try and do too much. I've given up on ironing - haven't done any since I have been ill. I just try and hang as much as I can on hangers when it comes out of the washer. It's suprising what you can get away with.

Troodles - Well done on having your tattoos and good luck for starting rads on 26th. My upper arm is still numb and tingly and my elbow can be sore. I am also sore under my arm and down my side. I had lumpectomy and auxillary clearance.

I am still exhausted and not able to walk very far. Still using wheelchair. My fingernails are not starting to give up on me - I only had one tax and thought I had got away with it. My fingernails and finger tips have been slightly sore the last week or so. Anyway on Friday the tips of some of my nails were so sore that I took off my nail varnish and cut my nails short.

My nails are now horrible, they are discoloured and the white of my nail is halfway down the nail on some. Also some of my nails are lifting at the cuticle; looking at them I think I am going to loose all my fingernails. Not happy about this at all.

Going to go to the local craft centre soon for coffee and cake.

Hope everyone else is doing ok. Good luck to everyone having treatment this week.

love to all

A xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Gosh, interweaving rads and chemo, Filosofie! Sounds exhausting! I hope you'll be ok and it won't all make you too tired! When you say you had a tissue expander in, is that so you may have implants?
By the way, Gill, love your new pic!
Trudi, can't wait for my Picc line to come out at the end of all this chemo. The first thing I'll do is jump in a lovely bath for a long soak! are you allowed to do that? Are there any things that they tell you to do or not do when it's come out?
Xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Ladies,

I'm still under that Tax truck! I feel much worse than I did yesterday, and keep thinking I'm gonna keel over in a faint. I'm sure somebody somewhere has a little effigy of me and is sticking pins in it! I'm getting aches and pains all over the place! I'm hoping, just another day of two of feeling so bad, and then, I may start feeling much better again. This is the worst, isn't it, feeling so darn tired. The sun is shining, it's a lovely day, and I just want to be out and about with the family. Did a bit of ironing and had to sit down twice, in floods of tears, coz I felt so awful. I know this won't last forever, but right now, it feels like it may! My taste buds are truly shocking, and I feel like I have eaten a brick every time I consume something. God knows how I'm gonna feel when I've had 2 more of these Tax. Still may ask the Onc next time I see her if refusing the last 2 would really affect my outcome.

I hope all you mums out there are are having a lovely Mothers Day. We're all off to my MIL's after for tea, which Is something to look forward to, just hope I can taste something.

Sorry to be down, I just feel I'm way behind everyone else, and feeling sorry for myself. Hope you are all coping ok
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello ladies.

It is quite quiet on here,I have also been back at work so catch up when I can. My picc line came out Wednesday as my friend came round to flush it and it was blocked so I went straight up the hosp and they removed it. t was left in after the last chemo to take bloods but my onc nurse who took it out said he didn't know why they needed bloods as they don't normally bother?

Rads planning on Friday so now have my little tattoos,ready to start 26th, all be done by 17th April. Hair is growing fast but sparse, wonder how long it will take to come back properly?

My scar is numb still and under my arm and I had my mx in August. Start at the gym on Wednesday, I desperately want to lose this chemo weight, I have put on a stone and a half.

Trudi

filosofie

Quiet on here everyone. Perhaps it's because we're all doing such different things now and moving on to the next stage. I'm afraid I've been a bit quiet because I've been trying to get some work done after losing 2 weeks in hospital and days before that to tax. I've moved onto CMF chemo now which is making me feel sick for the first time! I'll have to look back at the beginning of the thread because I know some of you had this on FEC. Got some stronger meds now so should be able to deal with that. The only real hassle is that I have to have it 2 weeks in a row and 3 weeks in between doses, with no PICC line now and virtually no veins I'm not sure where they're going to find to put the next 4!

Anyway glad to say I'm not being left entirely behind in chemoland because I had my rads planning on Wednesday and start rads on Monday. I know most have you have had a break but they interleave rads with chemo here I'm glad to say. And most people here seem to be doing ok on rads I think, apart from Gill's involuntary reacquaintance with the CT scanner. Stocked up on cream etc, the only thing I'm not keen on is going without deodorant for 3 weeks. I'll have to stand downwind of everyone.

Weme I had Mx and ALNC in October before chemo and still feel pretty numb under the arm but the pain has generally died down (had a tissue expander in at same time which was the main reason for that). Still get twinges which they said to expect because the 'nerves would be knitting'. Not sure what a neurologist would say about that. I think it's important to keep the exercises going and massage the scar, particularly under the arm. Saw my PS on Wednesday and he seemed very impressed that I could get my arm over my head to touch my ear - don't know what he thought I'd been doing for the last 6 months. Lying on a couch being fed peeled grapes perhaps (he is lovely really). Good luck with your results & hope your rads go ahead as planned.

The end in sight everyone.

gill13

and talking of profile pics, i've decided to ditch the one of me wearing the cold cap, thats all done with now. This is me with my older daughter.

Gill x

gill13

don't worry Kym, your taste buds will come back, i even like my cup of tea again, i'd stopped my morning cuppa because the thought of it turned my stomache

Pleasant - i have to admit to having taken a closer look at your pic 😉 That was nice of your friend to sort out the accomodation, i'm in North wales, don't think we have any other welsh ladies on this thread

Liz - i find i waste a lot of time doing nothing too, i sit down in the day and look at what needs doing, but find it hard to get motivated to do them

weme - i found that as the feeling started to come back gradually, i felt a bit uncomfortable but not real pain, you have axillary clearance didn't you? quite a large area still feels numb for me, esp under the arm and a bit down my side.

My rads was a nightmare today, they couldn't line up one of the tattoos (they had same problem on weds, but after a lot of re-positioning was ok) anyway today, after about 20mins, they decided to send me to the room where they do the planning appoint, and re-checked the measurement, they were all ok, so it was back the rads machine (which was called Cerrig, do all units name their machines?) eventually they managed to get the position ok and i had my treatment, i was prob there for 2 1/2 hours instead of the usual half hour. On monday i have to go in early so the Doc can have a look at the set up, i went home via Sainsbury's because i was starving, bought some jam doughnuts, Mmm Mmm....

Hope everyone else is ok, Lulu? Christine? Teresa?

L4w and Paula have dropped of the radar at the mo too

Gill x

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for the reassurance, Liz. Feeling at the moment that nothing will ever taste of anything ever again!
Kym xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Fairy,

Last chemo on 16th (just realised it was a month ago!) and everything tastes fine. I was lucky and really only had the foul mouth for a few days during the low immune week. I only went off fruit and had a craving for junk food and chocolate for a few weeks. Coffee did taste 'muddy' for a few days each time but I just took it weaker. Now back to my healthy diet again. Your taste buds will recover.

Take care, love, Liz, x

Guest user
Not applicable

Lulu/Christine - love the new photos. Waiting until I have a bit more on top before I update mine. I do have some but it's a bit sparse still and some of it's white so you can mostly just see the side bits in photos just now.

I've been checking up on the thread but haven't gotten round to posting for a few days as busy working from home this week. Taste buds are OK again, but appetite has really struggled to come back again this time. Probably doesn't hurt to lose a bit of weight as had put on a fair amount last chemo, but don't want to lose too much either with the low immune system.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello ladies,

Just to say I'm still here, reading the posts, but haven't had any energy to post myself. I went to bed last night at 8.30pm, and I'm still here. Everything is SUCH an effort. Been meaning to have a shower since this morning, and only just got around to it, but now wiped out! I really hate feeling so tired, and almost resent everyone else going about their daily business as normal. I know it's only temporary, but it's getting me down. The Onc gave me more steroids to take, so that the bone ache wouldn't be too bad, and so far, so good. My taste buds are truly shocking!! I may as well be eating lumps of rock !! Dunno about these steroids giving me a huge appetite, just opening the fridge door makes me heave coz everything smells off!
For those of you who have now finished chemo, please please tell me that you can now taste things again??!!
Sorry to be such a misery! Detest feeling this miserable! Sooo wish this had been my last chemo, but still 2 to go.

Christine and Lulu, loving your new pics! Will change the llama when I get a half decent recent pic, lol. I'm VERY unphotogenic!

Pleasant 1, always wondered what that was in the middle of the flowers, haha. Thought it was a rock of some sort? No, I'm up in the NW, Preston, Lancs. Pembrokeshire is in Wales, isn't it? Hope you have a lovely time! It sounds lovely. Gill's in Wales, but not sure whereabouts.

Gill, you should still be able to get to a LGFG session. My experience wasn't brilliant, but I certainly wouldn't let it put you off. I just felt it was all very rushed, it didn't help that I got there there 5 minutes late after trying to get a car parking space for 15 mins. And then they left me in reception for nearly 20 mins whilst I waited for someone to come and get me. I kept asking the receptionist if they'd forgotten me, but she said, no, it's just that she couldn't give me directions to the room because it was too complicated. Which is was, it was in a completely different building. So, all a bit rushed, and I hate walking into a room late and then being the centre of attention, lol. Not a great start!

Hope everyone is ok xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Afternoon Ladies,

Hope you are all doing well with treatments this week.

I know what you mean about not being able to plan the day - I seem to waste such a lot of time that I never used to. I have felt this week that the 'foggy head' has cleared - just a light mist now! Still very forgetful and now back to 'can't be bothered' to do anything. Think I may have overdone it earlier in the week and have been very lazy last two days. So much for my plan to increase stamina!

Started Letrozole last Saturday and put repeat prescription into chemist and spoke to the pharmacist who said if I haven't had any side effects in the first day or two then I shouldn't get any. Chemo bone pain and hot flushes have died down a bit.

LGFB: I went in December and the beauticians were very helpful and made us feel at ease. It lasted about 90 minutes and the time flew in. I got mainly expensive make-up and just a few No.7 and Rimmell. Well worth it for me.

Can't remember the detail in any posts I have read, sorry!

Take care all, love, Liz, x

keepthefaith

Dear Pleasant

I am soooo glad you said about the potato, I have been wondering for ages what it was!! Thought maybe it was some sort of grungy garden gnome?!!!

T x

Pleasant1

Hi Lulu - you look so cute without your hair. My look's too severe to run with, hence the chitting potato; I await comments!
We're off to the Pembrokshire coast. Never visited the area before but sounds very pretty. I've been wondering who on this and the December thread may live in that direction. Gingersmithy perhaps? I thought Kym was and then realised she's North… My geography's mostly appalling! Talking of which, part of my meltdown was due to chemo brain. It's just so frustrating going to do something and the thoughts breaking up en route. I'm not coping with it at all as I used to buzz from job to job and now hang midway through the first job deliberating. This can be as simple as putting a quiche together, as it was last week! I think; bacon, broccoli, err…? Flap about the kitchen; eggs, …milk, pepper? Christ! Nothing flows; flap about the kitchen some more. OMG! Now Woman's hour is on; I haven't even made the pastry! And so it continues until the boys get back from school and I am feeling so frustrated and useless. I must get out more. In a moment I'm off to our community garden to look at designing an Erb bed. Can you imagine! If I can't put a quiche together in an hour it's gonna take me months to get a planting plan up and running!
Hope everyone picks up enough to return here sooooon… x

weme

Hi there

I had chemo pre op, had op on 1st March and I am booked in for rad planning next week with rads starting on 3rd April. I am getting more pain now than I did after the op but I assume this is because the nerves are beginning to mend, the area underneath my arm is very tender as is my arm pit and area above wound. Wound seems to be healing nicely, I have been drained once, there is a bit there now but I don't think it is enough to warrent being drained again next. I was meant to get my results last Tuesday but that appointment got cancelled as results weren't back, I haven't heard anything since but I am hoping they will give them to me next week. I don't know if they need the results before they can do the rad planning on Wednesday next week, I'm not sure that the left hand talks to the right hand, do they actually work to the same song sheet?

I've been trying to work this week from home, I am wondering if sitting at my desk typing is making my arm worse so I am looking forward to the weekend and giving it a bit of a rest.

Pleasant, I hope you get your PICC sorted so your rads can start.

On the finger nail front, I've been really lucky (hopefully not saying this too soon) in that although my nails have ridges for each chemo they are more or less normal - they tend to break very easily so keeping them quite short but no discolouration so far.

I hope everyone else is doing well, I like your new picture Lulu, one day I may figure out how to take a picture and put it on my profile.

Weme

3network3

Hiya again

Just a wee comment re waiting for rads, I was told last week that I'll have rads 7-8 weeks after MX (MX is in April), I have chemo pre MX just now. Surgeon said this is because having MX after chemo delays wound healing, seroma needs to be drained a few times etc etc.

Love Christine xx

Lulu34

Gill... chemobrain is long lasting... doesnt just cause problems while your on it but for a long time afterwards too.....

as for LGFB see if there is one near you.... you dont need to have lost your hair as i know lots of ladies who didnt have chemo but still went to the workshop.... http://www.lookgoodfeelbetter.co.uk/site/workshops.cfm

great news about your article... iv been in the paper a few times over the past year... its quite fun LOL.

pleasant my unit wait about 6 weeks after surgery but like to do rads 3 weeks after chemo and chemo is 4-6 weeks after surgery.

sorry things are a bit crap re the PICC and low counts hope they will be popping up through the roof soon and you can get rid of the PICC.

where you off to for your easter break?

love and hugs xxx

Pleasant1

Think we're on our own on this thread tonight Gill!
OY! Where are you all…? I had to visit the December Darlings today 'cause our thread's so quiet!
Anyway, Gill, rads not wizzing ahead, low counts and the PICC line being left in set me off blubbing on the kitchen table this week.
Probably be better getting my counts up and myself more ready for it though and we're now going away for a few days during the Easter hols, courtesy of a lovely friend who felt sorry for us all and has offered to pay for most of the accommodation. Feeling very lucky about this and trying not to over fantasize about what a wonderful time we're going to have… I'm sure it won't be too late to go to a LGFB thing Gill.
Hope everyone's resting up and getting through the bad bits. x

gill13

pleasant - i'm really glad that i've gone straight onto Rads and not having to wait 4 - 6 weeks, i am however quite glad not to be starting tamoxifen until 6 weeks after chemo, its nice not to be taking any drugs and my hot flushes have got better, so not looking forward to them kicking off again

i'm feeling a bit cheated now about not having attended a LGFG, or LCFS as pleasant calls it lol

Lulu/ Amysmum- my finger nails are a light nicotine coloor too, no idea about my toe nails as they've been painted purple for the last 6 month, i think i'll keep them like that for the foreseeable 🙂

Lisa - glad that no 7 went ok for you, just one to go!! yay!!

get this, I'm going to be interviewed for an article to promote Macmillan grants, i didn't recognise the name of the mag and i can't remember it now!! (can't really blame chemo brain anymore can i?) anyway, the lady i spoke to today was really pleased that i'd booked a weekend away for me amd my girls with the grant i'd received, i've email photos of us and will send them some pics of the weekend too. they want more people to be aware that grants are available from them and that they can be spent on fun things. I shall keep you all informed, autographs later 🙂

hope everyone else is doing ok, Kym & Lizzie,
Diane - will be thinking of you tomorrow

Gill x

Pleasant1

Lulu and all,
LCFS was fine really; I mean I just LC and FS anyway so some superficial slap ain't gonna alter things; but much appreciation for free products in preparation for eye-lashes!
Interesting to realise you've also got straight on with rads after chemo Lulu. I've been told optimum time is four-six weeks after chemo for rads but can be up to three months and it's now looking likely mine will begin just over seven weeks after I finished chemo!
Must get on and make a tasty quiche for a lovely friend who's been an absolute rock and a saint in my times of neediness.
(As no-one's posted I'm hoping you didn't read my comment about flushes and flashes – if you did, I blame this website info: http://www.healthywomen.org/condition/estrogen)!
x

Lulu34

pleasant sorry you LCFS session wasnt up to much im waiting to get a date for mine as they couldnt find the diary.... i was gonna give it a miss as i went to one in 2009 but the cancer group i go to facilitator said she thinks id benefit from it so hoping to get booked in and i hope it does turn out to be a LGFB and not LCFS! Lisa when i was at the LGFB last time they had different bags for different colourings.... i was given a fair one but i personally thought i was dark tones, i dont wear foundation but like darker colours for lips and eyes.

im also booked in for a nutrition workshop next month which runs over two days and quite looking forward to that and making some yummy healthy food.

i started tamoxifen last week 3-4 weeks after i finished chemo... i wanted to wait till i had my hickman line out as it has a higher risk of clots as does the line.... turns out i bled like a stuck pig and instead of 15 mins it took and hour for the bleeding to stop so might have been better to start it sooner lol.

my hot flushes have gotten less the last few days so has done the opposite to most of the tamox girls but could just be cause its bloody freezing here!

sometimes if you have turned a pic its still stored on your PC as sidieways until you press refresh so try =refreshing and redoing it... i know this was a common problem with pictures on my forum... people even changed the size and came on posting they had tried to make it smaller it was still massive but when i viewed it it was actually the size of a postage stamp which they saw when they hit refresh.

hope you dont suffer too much today LL and the next 21 days zooms in for you.

amys mum and GG your nails sound yucky.... whats left of my fingersnails are that horrible nicotine stain colour but my toes are ok

lizzy tamox can cause swelling although its not a very common side effect it can happen

had my lumpy bit checked and the nurse thinks its a skins cyst and asked the consultant to check and they couldnt decided whether it was a cyst or a suture but decided to leave it anyway... its nothing serious but if it changes iv to go and get it checked again.

was at maggies young womens cancer group today... i really find it helpful and the girls that go are great.

put a new pic up of my fuzzy hair!

8 rads down only 12 to go.

love to all

lulu xxx

Pleasant1

Glad you're doing OK Lisa. Should have re-named it Look C..p, Feel S..t in my last posts! You tell them your skin colour before you go so I guess they change the foundation to suit. The eye-shadows we had were good browns, greys etc and thankfully not pink! You would run it better I'm sure. I got asked if I wanted tea or coffee then none arrived! They were lovely facilitators but almost felt awkward or worried about how we may react to their attention. Anyway, it was an event, free and a bonus to receive so I don't want to knock it; just lightly jesting. I must stop! What would men actually receive tho'?! Are there any pampering products for them other than the basics?! 😉 x

Libralady

Hey Pleasant - I'm really sorry that the LGFB session wasn't up to what you'd hoped for. To me it sounds like the facilitators didn't facilitate well. I was under the impression that although essentially it is a "learning" event, there should be an element of social interaction. "Hi, my name is Lisa and I have breast cancer" type of thing, or at least let the women/men meet each other over a coffee and biscuit and break the ice first. It will just help the flow of the afternoon, people will laugh with each other instead of just sitting there like a bunch of first day at school students! Cant be having that!

In my job I facilitate many training sessions and its always best to have some sort of ice breaking activity regardless of the subject matter. everyone there will be strangers but all share one common thread.....cancer. Its not the attendees job to open that gate, its the facilitators job. Thats a real shame. I feel you should defo give some feedback to that particular LGFB group leader so things change. OK, maybe you caught them on a "bad day" but I doubt it. I haven't been to my LGFB session yet, mine is in April as I was in hospital in march and missed the one Id booked on - I will let you know how mine goes....cant wait for my goody bag!! (how sad am I)..... Do you reckon the makeup (specifically foundation) will have a colour match for me....cos I aint white in case anyone aint noticed! looooool

Don't be fooled by my profile pic. That pic was the one I had when I first cut my hair after my first chemo session in November. I honestly don't have as much hair as that.....YET! looool. Its getting there though. Ive tried to update my profile pic but can't get the damned thing to show the picture in the right way up - I was sideways....youd have to crick your neck to see the picture properly lol. Im gonna report it to the moderators actually....so watch this space for a new profile pic....soon.

7th chemo today - went ok except they lost my blood results so I had to have them retaken - so that set me back a good extra hour. nevertheless, all done and dusted. The Onc put me on anti-fungals for the whole 21 days as the nasty mouth and thrush got me almost straight after my 6th chemo, that was the only change to my meds.

JUST ONE MORE CHEMO LEFT GIRLS............ROLL ON THE NEXT 21 DAYS!

Hope everyone is doing good xxx

Pleasant1

Lizzy, meant to say hope your fluid retention and ankles improve. I should begin it this Friday but dreading yet another drug and more se's. I just want to feel 'normal' again; whatever that was! I'm toying with the idea of leaving it until next Friday to see if I get a feel good factor for a week… Oh the dilemas. Perhaps I'll start it mid next week?! God; I'm experiencing a mighty hot flush.
Got the man shouting at super scrimpers about how patronising it is and: "She's not a real person! She's production!" Why are we viewing this bloody rubbish?!
Oh God; switched to Masterchef. Pass the wine! x

Pleasant1

OMG Lisa! I can't believe how much hair you've got and you haven't even finished chemo. Tax made my eyebrows and lashes fall out so thought it would have stopped any hair growth and you've had more more tax haven't you – thinking you're now on no seven?!
Anyway, evening all…
Today it was LGFB for me. Guess what? I don't look good/feel better! I returned and was greeted by my middle son who said: "You look like a witch; but you still look like Mum". Helped no end! I have to say I feel a bit better than yesterday when I was an emotional wreck and had to peel my sobbing self off the kitchen table at one point. Think it's low cell counts and a general total low all over after chemo and pre-rads. I just can't seem to keep on an even keel and have flashes of OK but mostly feel I can't see my way forward. Doesn't help with the brain not working very well either and I just end up feeling frustrated and inefficient most days – like I'm not planning and using my days in the best way to feel I'm making the most of this precious life and current spare time.
You must be finding it tough with rads so soon after chemo Gill. I was told they had to wait a month minimum to get cell counts up and the body stronger to deal with it?!
Right, LGFB products. What did you all get? What was your horrid perfume Kym? Mine is Estee Lauder Sensuous. I haven't opened it yet for fear it's the horrid one! I had mostly No7 so no great shakes there. Some seemed to get nicer foundation. Happily I got a Chanel mascara (although can't currently use it!) and Clinique moisture cream and concealer, Lancome brown pencil and eye cream, L'Oreal lip liner. Let me know your best products! I've just re-read your post Kym. Seems we got the same!
Sadly Linda I didn't feel much sister love coming from the other LGFB women. I'm sure they are all lovely but it was just straight in and everyone got on with slapping on the disguise. I think we all felt self-conscious and no-one knew what anyone else's cancer was so it all felt a bit awkward. I can't explain feelings succinctly but it all felt a bit odd. I'd probably built it up in my head to be an enjoyable social event. When properly considered, why would it be under the circumstances?!
Oh dear… I think I'll go on a solitary walk and make and bake handmade bread tomorrow for a pick-me-up. Should I put make-up on beforehand I wonder; just to scare the boys when they return from school… Tonight they said they don't want me to wear make-up, apart from the diplomatic eldest who said: "Do what you want to do".
Diane I've got to have rads to neck and chest wall as they said they couldn't go any higher taking nodes out or they'd be into the neck area, hence couldn't guarantee they'd got all the affected nodes. When they do rads he said they sometimes catch some of the lung and heart due to the angle and it causes scaring to those areas.
Having a glass of red now as got that devil may care attitude and feel I need one. Man's just got the Tyrrells out too and it's not even Friday night! ;-}
PS Super Scrimpers on now. Ideal viewing for the time rich, cash poor!

Lizzy1977

hi ladies,

I've been reading all your posts but it's hard to keep up now I'm back at work full time.

AmysMum, I started my Tamoxifen this week (just over 3 weeks after my last chemo). My colleagues told me that I am looking better this week (I must have looked dreadful!)I'm already having hot flushes but I was having them with the chemo, they are just worse now.

I've got bad water retention so am not sure whether this is the Tamoxifen or the Herceptin. I'ts that bad my ankles and calfs have swelled up.

Good luck to those starting rads of having surgery

Lizzyxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening
I started my Tamoxifen yesterday. My Onc told me to start 2-3 weeks after my last chemo. I went for 3 weeks, so that I got most of those se's out of the way. I had my surgery before chemo, so I guess different Onc's just go with different advice.
My nails have gone a lovely shade of yellow (like a 40 a day smoker), so I am keeping on with the nail-varnish, as advised by the chemo nurses. Some of my nails are a bit sensitive, so I am keeping them very short (trimming once a week) so I am less likely to bend one back on anything I touch.
Kym, with my Tax, I was given alot of steroids for the day before, of and after chemo (4 tablets twice a day) and then a reduced dose (3 once a day) for the next 3 days. Ipswich seem to do this as a matter of routine to reduce the aching joints. No idea whether it worked, but I didn't suffer too badly. By the third lot of Tax, my face was looking a bit rounder, but it seems to have gone back to normal after only 3 weeks, so if you do get a bit of a moon face, it should go again quite quickly.
I went out to visit a customer today who I saw last week and he commented on how much better I looked this week. The bags under my eyes are definitely fading and I am feeling less tired, so that is probably what he meant. When I told my husband this evening, he agreed that I was looking better - he could tell me that without me having to fish for compliments, but still...
Just waiting for the hair to grow back where it thinned (even with the cold-cap). Interestingly, no part of my body has lost all it's hair. I went swimming (well mainly standing around while a 5 year-old swmims) on Sunday and had to shave my bikini line - I have lost at least 95% of my hair there, but there were still wispy bits at the side, ready to escape the swim suit.
Talking of swimming, I did do a small amount of breast stroke and it felt very odd. My recon was with a strattice mesh, so my chest muscle is now over the top of my implant. Has anyone else tried swimming after a strattice mesh? The Lymphodeoma physio said it would be very good for me (way back in October), but I could definitely feel the muscles pulling a little oddly.
Anyway, time for bed now - see if I can doze through the hot flushes.

Libralady

Evening all

Hope everything & everyone is OK :0)

Ive been trying for 2 days now to upload a new pic, every time I try it comes out sideways - I'm no IT idiot, I've noticed a couple not other members have sideways pics as well. I think there is some bug somewhere.

Has anyone else experienced this issue at all? So annoying!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hmm, yet something else to worry about GG/Diane, but thankfully it has been picked up in your midway scan and they are treating it. Hope all goes well for you on Friday. Surely there can't be anything sinister if you've recently finished chemo?! x I still don't understand why they don't seem to do midway scans where I am.

Gill, thanks for that as re info on the steroids. Yes, a bit concerned I may get a moon face 😞
My Onc gave them me so that, supposedly, my bone pains wouldn't be too bad this next time. The nausea wasn't so bad last time around, it was worse whilst I was actually having the chemo (which was caused by the drug they gave me which made me really anxious the whole time at was there, so they didn't give me it yesterday and I felt tons better), so not sure what the steroids will do for me. Will wait and see I guess.
But don't be put off going to the LGFB workshop (you neither, Linda), it could just be where I was at (Blackpool). One of the ladies even said to me, when I told her I was from Preston, 'oh, it's normally only for patients in the Blackpool area. You'd normally be referred to Christies in Manchester'. Eh? Blackpool is 14 miles away, Christies about 70! But its worth going, even if only for the free goodie bag, which I reckoned to be worth about £250 - it includes things like Clinique moisturiser, lip liner, concealer, Chanel mascara (altho my eyelashes, the ones still hanging on, are very short and stubby), Lancôme kohl pencil and Neurocalm eye contour gel, Estée Lauder, 'Sensuous' and lots of other useful goodies. Nice to have some nice perk with this rotten disease we've all been dealt with!

Good luck to anyone else who is having chemo this week, and to all of you who are now having rads,
Kym xx

gill13

Morning (just about) all

Diane - god what a worrying time for you again! all i can say though is be thankful for the midway scan at least if something has been picked up, it is now being treated...thats the postive thinking
fingers crossed for you for friday

Linda - i wouldn't worry yet about the eating, i thought my appetite had returned to normal, but it hasn't, some days i'm ok, then others i still eating more than i should

Kym - i remember what else i'd said last night, i was weaned off the steroids with my last couple of chemos and i found it did help with the nausea, but i did feel that my face went a bit puffy around the eyes and i thought my face was a lot rounder, this all seems to be ok now and it was only for a couple weeks that i thought it

i'm back from Rads no 4, when you get to hospital at 10ish or later the parking is a nightmare, i had to park in the overflow carpark and it was at least a 10min walk, it would have been a nightmare if i'd been struggling with mobility. Ah well a bit of training for my Race for Life xxx

gooseberrygirl

Hello Lovly Nov Ladies..

Still love reading all the posts but so many to remember, Loved the doorknob casserole, maybe added something!
Started Rads, 1st day disaster as machine was broken so Very long wait, but got there in the end, Didnt like it! They are doing my neck as well, well my throat, Why very worrying, had midway scan and showed something in neck area Oncologist said beyond the margins of the Lymph removal,
Also seeing surgeon on Friday about the right breast as have problem there too, making me have a hot flush just thinking about second mastectomy!
Lulu thanks for advice aboutnails mine are sore and two big toe nails are going black, very attractive NOT...fingernails Orange.
Started Tamoxofen too more hot flushes,
Oh and the runny eye thing is shocking!!! Right thats about covered a moan now,
I hope those of you still having Chemo dont suffer too much, glad that bit is over with!!!

Love Diane x

Guest user
Not applicable

Good Morning November ladies,

Can we believe we are already in March.

Lisa - I am due to have my surgery on 21st March and my oncologist told me to start my tamoxifen 3 weeks after chemo which is this friday 16th March.

Fairy1518 - Hope your side effects are not too bad after no 6. I would imagine not having that drug will help with the anxious side effect 🙂 Thanks for your comments on LGFB as I was looking at booking myself into the one at Birmingham but not sure if I will bother.

Teresa and Weme I hope you are doing well after your operations.

Pleasant1 - sorry to hear you have a delay, I thought your first appointment would have been the planning session. I know what you mean about meeting other BC people, I went to a Haven meeting and it was just so nice chatting face to face with others in the same position as ourselves.

Trudi - I love you chemo brain episode with the door knob.... Good times..

Gill - I hope you are doing well after Rads, my nails just seem painful at the moment..

Lulu - I certainly think if a wheelchair helps you then that sounds like a great idea. It wont make you lazy if you only use it when you need to and in fact will give you more energy when you are not using it. Im glad the rads are going well, 5 down already - wow.

Well Ive been a busy bee, its week 3 so just been working away at home , waiting for my op next wednesday.

No side effects now really apart from why do I still want to eat everything in the fridge !

I hope everyone has a good day.

Linda
x

gill13

arghhhh...this site has done it again, type a comment, hit post, comment gone!!! hate it when that happens

in a nutshell

Pleasant - i started rads exactly 3 weeks after finishing chemo

Lisa - i will be starting tamoxifen 6 weeks after finishing, its usually 4 - 6 weeks, so i was told on thurs, but maybe it will be different if you not had surgery

Audrey - rads ok so far, under my arm felt a bit stiff earlier, i did a few of the stretches and it helped

Kym - result with the perfume, i never ended up going to a session, don't think i'll bother now, i don't want to go back to hosp in the evening when they have them

can't remember what else i said, so i'll leave it there for now, hope everyone else ok 🙂 xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello All

Lulu - Thanks for the info on fingernails. Sorry your family are not for you hiring a wheelchair. It won't make you lazy but it will get you out and about and go places that you can't at the moment. I do hope they change their minds. Imust admit I didn't want to hire a wheelchair at first, it was hubby who suggested it. I am glad that we have hired one, as it does mean I can get out and about, I have been around shops, to the seaside and a push along the prom and the pier, to a posh seafront hotel for lunch etc. It really cheered me up being able to go places - you must hire one. Hope everything is ok with your scar.

Gill - Physio was fine - just told how to do some exercises and given a booklet with them in. They are different to the ones I did after my ops. Had no 8 rad today. Hope your rads are going ok.

Thinking of everyone and best wishes to all.

A xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Ladies,

Just got back from chemo no 6, and ha a much better time of it! They didn't give me the drug that made me mega anxious last time (metlo something or other), and I felt tons better, coz I didn't feel nauseous either. And the horrid discomfort of the cold cap only lasted a mere 2 minutes! I've also been given extra steroids to take, reducing my dose gradually, instead of going 3 days on 8mg, and then nothing, but then hitting that brick wall. Downside is, it makes you eat more. We'll see, but at least, if it works, it'll make the last 2 chemos much more bearable.

Nice to hear from you again, Pleasant1. I went to LGFB about 2 weeks ago. Not good timing really, as it was only 7 days prior to last round of chemo, and I still looked and felt like s***e, but had already had to cancel 3 prior appointments, as they previously landed on chemo day, so thought I'd better go for it! I felt it was all very very rushed, and not a lot of help at all really. I thought they would show you how to disguise the fact you may have no eyelashes or brows . . . Lady said, 'if you lose your brows, just do 3 dots here, here and here and join them up. Hmmm. Plus there was a diagram to show you where to put your eyeshadow, and where to put your lipstick, etc. If I don't know after 35 years, I doubt I ever will! But the free goodies were fab (so rushed, I only got to really investigate the bag when I got home) and very useful. There was even a bottle of very expensive perfume in there, worth £68! But not sure it suits me! :(. So it's worth going, just for the free goodies!

Teresa, I read on another thread that you may be developing cording after your mx op. I hope you can get it sorted and nipped in the bud!

Lulu, I'm sure it would help for you to get yourself a wheelchair to get around in for now. It's no fun being exhausted having only walked a few steps. I can understand your family being against it coz they would feel it screams you are ill, but it would only be temporary. Like you said, these symptoms, especially fatigue, won't last forever, and if it means that you can get about without wearing yourself out, it's gotta be worth it. And you don't sound like a lazy person at all!!! So I doubt very much you will take a fancy to it and turn into Andy out of Little Britain!! Hope your rads went today and they put your mind at rest as re the funny bit on your scar.

Yes, I was wondering about Granny Jean too. She's had a hell of a time of it this year.

Good luck to everyone having treatment this week xx

Pleasant1

Hi all
Just returned from my first rads appointment. Nothing to report other than I thought I would get tattooed, picc line out and ready to go forward with rads in a week or so but it wasn't to be. Instead it was just a consultation. My counts were too low (0.6) after last chemo on 24th Feb to take out the line. FED UP as I'm desperate to get shot of this PICC! Anyway, also learned I won't begin rads until after Easter due to having to have 4-6 weeks clear after chemo before beginning rads (but others of you seem to have begun sooner?!) and Easter falling when it does is not ideal as five day blocks are preferred! Now looks like I won't start until about 16th April (seven weeks after chemo ended). More recovery time before getting hit with the rads and Easter school hols wouldn't have fitted well with the children being home = two positive slants.
And, it transpired it'll be four weeks of rads with lower zapping to help lessen the se's of long term skin trauma.
Lisa, I was told to begin Tamoxifen three-four weeks after my last Chemo so I have it at the ready but can't decide when to start…?!
Got LGFB booked for this Wednesday so at least something to look forward to but then no going out planned so, other than some free products, what is the point? Oh yeah, I may finally get to meet some other bc sufferers in person…!
I twitted Judes mid Feb. but haven't had a reply. Let's hope no news is good news – as the saying goes.
So long since I posted too and I can't remember everyone's upsets. I know you were feeling really low Paula and hope you've perked up now.
I'll have to go back and read again to refresh my memory but hope everyone is OK and send best wishes to all.
x