Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo in October

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Starting Chemo in October

Hi Barbara

I am also more worries about the chemo than i was about the op but have read some very encouraging things which has helped to take a bit of the fear away, im still anxious about it but ready to face it more than i was.

Hope op goes well and you can get cracking soon with little SE's xx

sunshine_1

Wishing all you October (and September) girls the very best. I have been reading your posts with interest as I was diagnosed around about the same time 5th August. If only one of my nodes hadn't contained tiny cells I think I would have been on the chemo treadmill with you. Now I face another op before I can get cracking with it. It is heartening to hear that some of you haven't suffered too badly with SE's. I am more worried about chemo than the op.

Big hugs to you all and Lisa-Marie, cheers.

Barbara x

Guest user
Not applicable

Jules - best of luck for tomorrow (sorry i missed u out before, missed that you were starting this week too)

Lisamarie & Annie - thanks for posting about your first FEC, nice to hear that you are not suffering too badly, helps to take a little of the fear away.

Ali & Simone - thinking of you x

AnnieK68

Hi Girls,

Hope you don't mind me butting in from Sept but I only started FEC on Monday, so I too am a straddler!

I wish everyone luck who's starting soon - my advice is be prepared for a big hangover with no booze :(( and take your ice lollys and pops with you - my mouth is fine so far (touch wood!).

I had an emotional day yesterday but I'm feeling much better today - listen to your bodies and remember that there are no rules, no two people are exactly the same!

Take care, hugs to all

Axx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies had my first Chemo session yesterday and all went well, I have a picc line as I have said and never felt a thing, no tingles in bum checks no coldness when it went in nothing. I did get a weird no horrid taste in my mouth but the pears drops and cola cubes my kids had brought me served me well.

I ate a light lunch and was starving so even managed to eat a sandwich during chemo and drank for england, they told me the more I drank the faster it would go through me and reduce the effect my hubby brought me home some thing called good stuff, cranberry and lime it was fantastic, I even poured it in a wine glass and told myself it was my reward.

Another thing they offered at my hospital was reflexology apparently it helps the Chemo enter the body quicker and absorb, I don't know about all that but it was very relaxing and I did enjoy.

So far so good, apart from bright red wee wee which has also most gone and the odd hot flush I feel so far fine, I am up washed and dressed and hoping for a relaxing day at home, rest whilst you can even if you don't need to they told me it will set you up better for when you do.

Ginger biscuits, actually ginger everything on standby and having the odd bite even if I don't feel I need or want it and as I said so far I feel fine.

Hope this helps some of you starting today, thinking of you all and very best of luck. Us girls stronger than we know.

Lisa xx

dizzycloud

Ali & Simone - wishing you well for your first sessions today. Can't add any more tham Supertrooper said, but thinking of you xx

supertrouper

Wishing all of you who are about to start your chemo - the very best of treatment, the fewest side effects and the fastest recovery.

impatiens

Hi

Good luck to everyone with first session tomorrow (Thursday)

Alison.
X

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for the good wishes for tomorrow. Very nervous and not looking forward to it but I guess it's got to be done.

Jules- I know what you mean about hoping to feel up for going out. I've got a BBQ at a friends on Saturday and tickets to see The Feeling on Monday. Could both be wiped out! Also supposed to see Adele in November and will be really gutted if I miss that one.

Simone - will be thinking of you tomorrow morning. Mine's not till the afternoon. Good luck and hope you feel ok after.

Ali x

Harrietxxx

Order headscarves - Check

One thing done, now must put the iPad down and go to sleep

Night girls
Xx

Harrietxxx

Good evening my fellow Octoberers,

Simone and Ali, good luck for tomorrow, will be thinking of you.

I have soo much to do tomorrow before I start on Friday, been at work all day today. Didnt think I would ever be sad to not go to work for a bit but it was quite emotional putting my out of office message on the email.

I am supposed to go and see Al Murray on Sunday night, bought the tickets months ago, I hope I feel up to it.

Big hugs to all

Jules
Xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello october ladies

I had my dentist check up today and all is well....phew...one less trauma to worry about. Was anyone else advised to get a dental check up. The dentist mentioned biotene gel for the mouth i think this has been mentioned before.

Simone & Ali - Best of luck for tomorrow, thinking of you x

GiJane - thanks for the extra info, all advice and tips welcome x

Lisamarie - hope all went well today for you, let us know how you got on (when you up to it) x

Tazzie & flutterby - Good luck for 5th x

GIJaneH

yes... me too... but I could only tolerate it black for a day or two... and fresh mint tea (which is devastating for a self-confessed tea-pot!) Not everyone's the same though, so you may be fine!

dizzycloud

I hope I still like coffee or I will get caffeine withdrawal symptoms lol!

GIJaneH

PS... top tip from patients who'd been through chemo (gathered by a nurse friend) was that Lucozade lemon/lime is good to drink when the taste buds go, and I certainly found it to be so..... First week after chemo taste changes, and some of us couldn't drink tea/coffee (hardly ANY of us could drink wine!) I recommend the Luc... Jane

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jules, went to see chemo nurse before I go in tomorrow for chemo treatment. I know it sounds a bit odd but it was quite calming just to see where I was going to be, might be worth going and having a look round if the unit offers it, might help you never know, calming hugs to you xxx

Dizzycloud, just to be on the safe side, buy more lollies, if your daughter is anything like my son there might be one left!!!!!! and he doesn't even live at home any more!!!! Hope tesco wasn't too stressful xxx

Hey Lizzy, I've just gone for dark colours for work to match my worksuits, so navy and black, and then bright and colourful for out of work bright blue and patterned! Thanks for your wishes and will definitely keep you up to speed on progress xxx

Hi Jane, thank you ever so much for the advice, very much appreciated, thank goodness for the silly question clause, I've got a feeling I could be using that one quite a bit!! Really kind of you to pop in on the October Posse and you and your wisdom are always welcome xxx

Hey Lisa Marie, massive guilt free hugs to you and hope all goes ok for you today xxx

Hi Tazzie, sad but glad you're here, big welcome hugs to you and good luck to you and flutterby for the 5th Oct xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hiya Tazzie I'm starting my chemo on 5th October aswell, whereabouts are you from?

Thanks so much everyone for all the wonderful advice that has been given so far. I think I need to spend a full day on here reading up on everything.

Harriet I too am going to try the cold cap but no-one has been in contact with me about this, thnk I will have to ring up and check!!

I have just ordered some headscarves etc from annabandana website, it seems very good and good prices too, well worth a look.

Good luck to everyone and to you lisa-marie for today.

XxxX

tazzie

hi october ladies been reading comments here and there you all sound such a great bunch of people. anyway sending this as just had the call to start chemo on 5th october so looks like i will be joining your gang! best start writing that shopping list! good luck to all starting treatment this month tazzie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning ladies D day for me today well at least we are going to try again Chemo was canc last wednesday due to temperature, no sign of illness just temperature but today we try again.

Feeling a little nervous have a picc line in so should be easier than canula in hand I am told. Feel really strange, want to get on with it but a little scared too, have some boiled sweets in my bag and some magazines, feel I may need a packet of tissues too as the tears are welling just typing this.

Sent hubby off to work as I am not sure he would be much help he seems in a worse state than me and the kids looked scared to wits when the left from school, my youngest asked if my new styled short hair would be all gone when I came home and what did they need to do for me? Bless them its so hard on everyone am I the only one feeling guilty for having cancer?

My mum is coming with me though so hopefully one of us will stay sain, butterfly's yes I have them, temp still up and down so I can only hope we get this done and dusted and I can say 1st one done, have the rest of the week off work, hoping to go back Monday ??? I find the unknown is the worst bit, any words of advice out there to fill my last hour with? the hi ho its off I go. xx

GIJaneH

Hi ladies - I finished chemo in July... so may I "gate crash" and offer you some wrinkles from my experience??? Thanks!
- buffs are brilliant to go under hats/wear in bed/keep in handbag
- fringes def. make a difference to scarves/hats (much less obvious you've got no hair)
- In the end, I found the wig more comfortable than scarves/bandanas because I didn't like having my ears covered (all personal choice though)
- I read somewhere on here that taking GINGER TABLETS 2-3 days before chemo helps, and it seemed to
- Don't be afraid to ring the unit or your BCN with anything you're not sure about. There is NO SUCH THING AS A SILLY QUESTION
- my onc said their aim was for us to be symptom free.... hang on ot that
- By CHristmas you may be on Taxotere, and the se's for that tend NOT to kick in for a few days, so go carefully at Christmas - timing might be perfect! I had my treatment on a Monday and Tax hit on a Thursday..... others had similar time-lapses
- don't get depressed by reading posts that are depressing! It may not happen to YOU! I was depressed at the thought of being bald, boobless and FAT! I was bald, am boobless, but I never put on any weight... lost it in the first week post chemo and it was all back on by the next one! A nurse friend told me that eating lots of protein helped the body not to retain excess fluid...
- it seems endless at the time (bit like the stage with a new-born babe)... but it WILL pass....
- Try to laugh at the crass things people WILL say to you....
- keep sane on here, laugh, cry, shout, whatever
- follow the mouth care instructions "religiously"
- I found it helpful to stay in "today" and to try to find SOMETHING to be grateful for every day. Not always easy, but it helps the coping mechanisms. One day all i could manage was "I am fed up with x, y z, but I'm NOT as fed up as I would be if they'd said there was no treatment option available"...
- Difflam is good for sore mouths/throats

I've rambled enough now.... Hope your se's are little ones... Jane

Lizzy1977

Hi ladies

Liking the idea of the hijab caps. One of my sikh friends wants to make me a turban and I have been debating what to wear for work (if I am well enough to work) ...a wig or a bandana or a scarf. I work for a firm of solicitors so they are all rather conservative here.

Simone and Ali, good luck for Thursday and Jules good luck for Friday, let us all know how you get on.

Think I need to get shopping by the sound of it as so far I onlyhave Bonjela!

I have a feeling my chemo may not start until later in October as I have opted to have fartility treatment first. It's a major expence and may come to nothing but I want to give it a try.

love and hugs to all
Lizzyx

dizzycloud

Jules

I know what you mean about it coming round fast.

In order to tackle your list, it might be helpful if you broke it down in smaller lists eg medical bits such as Bonjela, mouthwashes etc, a list of drinks and a list of food etc, that's what I did and it helped me (even though a forgot a few things lol!). I am doing a solo shop in tesco tommorrow to get the bits I forgot.

Hoping my daughter doesn't eat all my ice lollies before I get to them! xx

Harrietxxx

Hi everyone,

I am really starting to carp myself about Friday now. Not bought anything much yet and starting to panic :0. I have lots of lists but can't seem to get round to buying anything.

Have been trying to contact the chemo unit to confirm I am trying the cold cap and if I have to arrive earlier. After 2 days of no answer or call back I finally got through and they said to come in 2 hours earlier, seriously? 2 hours? That collides with my wig appointment so will have to change that now. I'm not filled with confidence so far, I hope Friday proves better than my expectation.

Arghhh, it's coming round too quickly now

Jules
X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hey Clare, just google hijab bonnet caps and there are many islamic clothes shops pop up, and yes they are just for comfort under scarves and can be worn on an evening to keep your head warm I believe, and very inexpensive! My chemo appointment is at 10:30 hrs, so I'll be listening out for that telepathic message, thanks, Simone xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Welcome to the october posse - alison, lola and alibaba

Im will be starting mine 14th. If i am up to it im goin to get hubby to shave my head the day after (no 1) not going to wait for it to fall out, thats me trying to stay in control!

Someone mentioned a hijab? is that just for comfort under headscarf? where do you get them?

Simone - what time is your chemo on thursday, i will be thinking of you and sending you courage telepathically x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ali, we're both a pair of straddlers (been called worse!!) and starting on the same day too, but the one great thing about this site is we seem to be welcome anywhere!!! This really is a sanctuary!
Good luck for thursday, Simone xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello October ladies.
I think I'm going to be a thread straddler as my chemo starts on Thursday, same as you Simone. I'll remain a September lady but hope you don't mind if I pop on to this thread every so often, as there seems to be a few of us starting this week.

Good luck and minimal SEs to all
Ali x

dizzycloud

Hi again everyone.

Finally got my shop done for all my chemo essentials, but even though I had a list I still managed to forget a few things! (it doesn't help being accompnied by teenage daughter who kept disappearing with the shopping trolley) Another shopping trip beckons tommorrow I think.

Today is the first time I have driven my car in almost seven weeks - freedom to go wherever I want is so great!. Last time I drove it was just before SNB operation. My mx and reconstruction surgery seems a lifetime ago now, I think possibly because I have been working myself up about chemo so much. I am going to try a relax a bit before my first session on Friday, easier said than done though!

Another hospital appointment tommorrow for hopefully my final wound check. I have a CT scan booked for next monday evening, not looking forward to that or the results.Oh and I musn't forget my flu jab on Thursday morning this week. Wish I could have a week free of medical appointments.

Patlufc, good luck with your first chemo session on the 7th, and to all ladies due to start soon xx

Patlufc

Had the call today, I start my chemo on the 7th. Dunno what else to say really.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lola00, welcome to the October gang.

I start my chemo in a couple of days, and yep gotta be honest there's a few beads of sweat running down my forehead!!! but I just keep telling myself, if it makes me better I'm doing it!!! I'm sure in a while this will be a struggle to keep saying but I'm going to do my best!

I also lurked around other threads for a good while, but was so encouraged when I finally did pluck up the courage to type something and found that the ladies and facilitators on this site are so supportive, and most importantly for me, they truly understood what was happening to me both inside and out and I will never be able to thank everyone on here enough for that!

Good luck for next week, Simone xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Alison,

Congratulations on your marriage.

Couldn't agree with you more about the pics, I think a gallery of mishaps with bonnets and scarves would be pretty funny, even I'd not go as far as a pair of knickers on the head though, no matter how creative I thought I was being!!!

"we're all too protected from physical infirmity in general and should all be less shocked by difference." That statement is music to a Diversity and Management Trainer's ears, thank you xxx

Hi Flutterby

Being the organisaed person (aka, control freak) that I am, I looked at the other threads and picked up some brilliant tips and made myself some lists, then I hit the shops!!!

For cold cap treatment I bought a little hot water bottle and a fleece throw, just in case I get really cold, and I'll be taking my kindle to read for a couple of hours. Got myself some headscarves and a wig appointment just in case cold cap doesn't work.

For combatting any potential se's I bought; fresh pineapple, ginger nut biscuits, ginger ale, pure pineapple ice lollies, sparkling water, cranberry and blueberry juice, cream crackers for nibbling if I can't face full meal!

From GP, so free prescription, I got laxative movicol, paracetemol, biotene mouthwash and biotene gel and finally got lansoprazole for indigestion. I'm holding on to prescription just in case I need this stuff rather than get it and it go to waste!

May all our se's be teensy, Simone xxx

June_BCC

Hello lola00

Welcome to the forums, you've come to the right place for support as the users of this site have a wealth of experience and knowledge between them.

Whilst waiting for replies you may find it useful to contact our free helpline on 0808 800 6000, opening hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 – 2.00.

Best wishes
June, moderator

impatiens

HI Flutterby

This is a really good thread which starts with a compiled list of things you might want during chemo..im not great at the technical bits of computers, I ve just pasted a link here;
http://share.breastcancercare.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=19110

Let me know if that doesn't work - someone else might know a better way of finding it.

There is a group of women who post under 'Undergoing chemo in September' and another group of August chemo women who have lots of things to say about the side effects and what you might like to do about them.

THe only thing I've done to prepare really was because I was back in hospital after infections post MX, and realised that I have very bad veins and so arranged to have a portacath fitted. THis is done under a general anaesthetic but there are other things you can do if you think your veins are not going to be up to the treatment. Some people do a couple of session and then realise they want to have something fitted - and I thought about what I was going to do when my hair fell out. That's it for me really!

x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

I’m due to start chemo next week and like the rest of you lovely ladies, I'm terrified!

I've been reading various threads for a couple of days, (yes another stalker in the gang) and finally plucked up the courage to join in....

I had WLE on September 9th with Node clearance which 'went well' but I've been in agony with the seroma since. I start chemo next Wednesday (all being well of course) I'm in for 3x FEC at 3 weeks apart, followed by 12 weekly Taxol and then radiotherapy for 18 sessions.

Good luck to all those starting this week, you all seem remarkably chipper!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hiya everyone, I'm starting to panic a little now, start chemo a week tomorrow and to be honest I have no idea what I am meant to be doing. How are/did you prepare for it, i don't know what to take with me. I'm going for heart scan today at Christie's so maybe I could find out some info there. But any of your help will be greatly appreciated
X

impatiens

Thanks Simone ...and yes more the merrier not quite right, but as good a way of thinking of it as anything else!

Yes - I was looking forward to a Christmas with my new husband, at home, walking down the front on Christmas day (I live in Brighton) before tucking into a fab Christmas dinner. More likely to be a Christmas day spent in bed feeling a bit crap and sucking an ice cube or something equally exciting. Ah well, must make sure to get some good films in at least.

I saw the YOu tube video with the T shirt and thought, that's never going to work for me. It reminded me of seeing this designer around in the 80s, who had a pair of large womens' knickers onher head on the bus in Notting Hill much to the merriment of the two women sitting behind her I think we should have a gallery of pics of all the attempts to recreate You tube creations, It would be very funny. I like one which I think was Danish and she makes and sells these jersey tubes which fold over and make you look like you've got some hair underneath. I bought some jersey and intend to make them - although I can't find the videos any more and I think I'd better get on with it.

I'm interested in the halo thing that someone was talking about - it would be great to be able to have a bit of hair or something to give you a bit of a fringe so you don't look ..well...bald.

In fact Im going to give the cold cap a go, but I'm preparing for it all to fall out, and if I get sick of having a cold head for two hours at a time then I may give up.
RE the embarrassment gene, Im a lot less worried about what people think than I thought I would be. Wearing a bra was very uncomfortable for quite a long time after the MX and is still not something that I like to do all day. THis is someone with quite large breasts, breast, who used to wear a bra day and night. But I keep going out of the house and only remembering some time later that I'm completely lop sided. I don't really care but I know some people find it very shocking so I'm more aware of not causing people shock rather than embarrassment that i"ve had an MX. It's made me think that we're all too protected from physical infirmity in general and should all be less shocked by difference.

Alison x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hey impatiens I'm sure the other ladies will also say, you are more than welcome to join the October gang, I'd say more the merrier but that would just somehow feel a bit wrong!!!!

With you on the Christmas item, I seriously will be gutted if I can't have Crimbo dinner, best part of the day, (sorry I'm not particularly religious)!!!!

Like you, I've been watching the "how to" videos on youtube. I like the one where it showed you how to cut old tee shirts up to make your own caps and pretty them up with various scarves. Had a go with what can only be described as hilarious consequences!! think I might have to practice at the tying!! Got my wig letter yesterday afternoon so I've got to book an appointment, I'm not sure I'll get one though but who knows! If I do I know I won't be able to resist getting one that looks nothing like me, due to not owning the embarrassment gene and clearly no idea of the word "shame" - highlights profile pic, where I made my nephew take a photo of me posing in front of the Harry Potter poster in the queue for Pizza Hut with a wand in my hand, love it!!!!

Hugs to all, Simone xxx

impatiens

H everyone,

I've been posting sporadically on the chemo in september site but a it's now not starting til the 30th can I join this thread? I would be great to be able to post to people at the same stage as me....

I too have been looking at my dates and worked out that I 'll have on on the 23rd December, and I'm going to ask if they move dates around Xmas...it would be nice to not feel crap on Xmas day. They may think I'm mad to be worrying about that at this stage, but I love Christmas!

I'm going out today to get some things I think I may need, in terms of food - sweets, lollys, lucozade - all gleaned from the posts on here about how to get through chemo.

I've got my hijab caps ready for putting under scarves, I've been looking at YouTube at lots of ways of tying scarves, and I'm going to look at wigs on Thursday, I'm tempted by a big Afro as well but as I hate being looked at it's probably going to be something a bit more mousy!

Good luck to everyone

X

Lizzy1977

Hi ladies

Simone, thanks for the advice. I will speak to the oncologist when I meet them next week. I'm also considering whether I will need to ask my lodger to move out as she also works in an office. This could be going to extremes though and she is my mate but my health has to come first. Glad you work has been very supportive. Good luck on Thurs

Claire, Definately understand what you mean about gaining control. I am actually looking forward to seeing the oncologist so that I can have a proper plan. I am normally a bit of a control freak, think it comes with my job so it will be great when I know when I will be having the chemo, rads and the herceptin. Glad your work has been so supportive. That's a big weight off your mind. I hope you get your free prescriptions letter. My BCN gave me the form and I now have an exemption cert which is valid for 5 years.

Lizzyxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Ooo thanks Simone, thats really helpful, will get on to that then. Finally a little piece of good news!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hey Clare, what a nice boss, that must be a weight off!!

Just ask your GP or Practice Nurse for the exemption form, fill it in and sign it, then get your GP or Practice Nurse to sign it (only 2 min job), then send it off and within a week you get your exemption card that you show at chemist when collecting prescriptions, this is all prescriptions for next 5 years not just cancer related prescriptions, saves you a bit and you are entitled to it! One of my eccentric Aunt's suggested I ask for a supply of surgical masks and then that meant that the 2 Aunt's could still come round and visit,(whilst tilting their head to one side and telling me "you'll be fiiiiine", love 'em!!!) Good job they're as batty as a box of frogs, that way they don't seem too offensive!!!

Simone xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

awww Lizzy, how gutting having to cancel your hols!!! feeling for you there xxx Hope the bugs are kept to a minimum if you feel up to going in to work, might be worth having a word with your onc team to see what points you will be most at risk and maybe try to work from home during that time if you can. Try to be good to yourself! This is something I have had to learn myself, I am a Diversity and Management Trainer for the Police. Fortunately, I have a very supportive manager who told me that the organisation has been around a long time and managed to exist before I arrived (I like to think less efficiently!! heehee!), and whilst I was a really valued member of staff, my health came first and they would rather get excited about my return when I felt up to it, and not focus on my absence!! Gentle hugs, Simone xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks simone and Lizzy. I am feeling a bit better about things today. Have devised a spreadsheet with all my chemo dates and expected rads on with (expected time off) to work to, doing this feels like i have gained a bit of control back in my head.

Talked it through with my boss too and he has said not to worry about getting paid, we will work something out so that sounds promising that they will pay me no matter what. He also said he is going to set up one of the meeting rooms as my own office so im not around people all the time to reduce risk of bugs etc so i will be in quarentine hehe but better safe than sorry i guess.

Lizzie thats pants that you have to cancel a planned holiday to Oz :o(

Simone - im sure ill be on before thursday but i wish you all the best for thursday, fingers crossed you only have titchy SE. Did you get a letter from doc for free prescriptions? i havent looked into that side of things but guess i should. I was planning on buying over the counter stuff but free prescriptions would be a result

Lizzy1977

Claire, hope you're feeling a bit better today hun. Big hugs. Let me know how you get on with the scarfs. I've still not booked a hair appointment to get my locks cut short. I'm going to wait until I've seen the oncologist. Think I am secretly hoping that they will say that I don't need chemo when they have repeatedly told me I will. I have also still not canelled my holiday to Oz in November but will do this as soon as I have spoken to the oncologist. Really getting annoyed with this disease ruining my fun!

Simonwithane - am a solicitor and work in an air conditioned office so yes I am around people and their nasty bugs all the time. Work have just told me that I will get 75% pay as I have already exceeded my 10 days sick. This is a big releif as I am on a fixed term contract which expires in January. I'm just not sure whether I will need to take the whole time off throughout the chemo treatment or a few days after each treatment. Work have put systems in place so that I can work from home but I am not sure whether I am going to feel well enough. I have gone to work today after my mx last week as the emails were just piling up but I am off again tomorrow (yet more hospital appointments. Glad you had success with your GP. Good luck for Thursday

Lizzyxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hey Ladies,

Jules, wow go you, party girl, hope you had a great time at the ball and your friend's 30th xx

Flutterby, will be trying the cold cap myself on Thursday and thanks Michelle for the sweetie tip whilst having chemo adminsitered, bought my hard boiled mints in readiness!!

Lizzy, does your work involve working with other people, just something to think about is that your immune system will be pretty low so you might be prone to picking up every little bug going. If you work for an employer check your sickness policy, if self employed check with DWP or macmillan nurses to see if there is some type of benefit that could support you while you're recovering.

Clare, hope you're feeling a bit better. Hit a bit of a brick wall myself this weekend for a moment, Thursday's making it's way towards me a lot quicker than I'd hoped!! Been to GP's this morning and went with a shopping list, being proactive rather than reactive, good job prescriptions are free!!! So I'm now armed and ready for headaches from cold cap, constipation, mouth ulcers, indigestion, cystitis and sore and itchy feet and hands, fingers crossed that I don't get any of these!!! Result on the scarves, how brill is your stepmum!

Good luck and best wishes all, Simone xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hey

I seem to have gone into tearful waterfall mode this weekend, no idea why its suddenly affecting me like this, apart from the early diagnosis/waiting for op results stage i have been pretty calm. Perhaps getting my start date confirmed has somehow made it real in my head. Husband has been nightfishing this weekend so being alone with my thoughts hasnt helped much.

Im feeling ok at the mo now im all cried out.

Simone - I have also been reading up on chemo experiences and keep adding stuff to my list to get prepared for every possible SE (its a long list) I got some sally hanson nail strengthner and am religiously applying that in the hope that by the time i do the tax my nails will be strong and not fall off??

Been to see my step mum today and after sobbing all over her shoulder we got to talking about the hair issue and headscarfes ive been looking at. Turns out shes got loads and has given me a whole bag, she used to collect them for some bizarre reason so ive got a whole variety of them to experiment with

Ok ive rambled on enough now soz.... hope everyone is doing ok. Best of luck to anyone starting this week xx

Lizzy1977

Hi October girls,

I'm still recovering after my mx but do hope that I can get the chemo started in October. My BCN said I would but I guess it's up to the oncologist.

Flutterby80, I've been told I will need 12 months of Herceptin but I'm not sure when that will start. I'm also really scared about loosing my hair but have decided to cut it short before I start the chemo. I'm considering the cold cap too.

I'm also worried about whether I will be able to work through the chemo and the side effects. I'm already feeling shattered after my mx.

Love and hugs to everyone
Lizzyxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi started FEC treatment in August, 6 weeks after my masectomy like you I was very worried and apprehensive, wish i had registered with this website before I started my treatment, they only advise I can give you is to suck sweets when its being adminstered as 1 of the FEC treatments, makes you feel a little bit wossy but it only lasts for a couple of minutes, sucking sweets seems to stop this happening i tried it for my 2nd and third treatments and it worked for me. Try not to worry to much about the side effects, the only thing I have had so far is the tiredness, but i still get out and about every day so its not too bad so hopefully you will be fine also ..I will be thinking of you on Friday

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone I too will be joining the October club. Starting 6 months of chemo on the 5th October, 6 weeks after my MX. I am also having Herceptin for 12 months although don't know when this will start. Really scared about losing my hair and other side effects, as I'm sure we all are, I am going to give the cold cap a go, just praying it works.
Big Love and Hugs
X

Harrietxxx

Hi Simone and everyone,

I have had a busy weekend, a ball on Friday night and a friends 30th last night so knackered today, definitely worth delaying chemo a week for though :). Quite a few people had to double take to recognise me with short hair, I got a few odd looks.

I need to sort myself out this week in preparation for Friday, haven't really sorted anything yet, and must remember to go for blood test on Wednesday.

It's all getting a bit too close now, although I do want to stop thinking about it and actually get on with doing it.

Have a good Sunday.

Jules
Xx