cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo in October

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Starting Chemo in October

I would be up for birmingham meet up, its not far from my hubbys parents. I am planning to go to Turkey first or second week of september so depends when it is.

Hugs to all xx

Lulu34

Teresa I'm a FB junkie so I'll pm you too... If anybody wants to add me to FB there's a link to my page on my profile.

OOh simone a get together in brum sounds fab I'd be up for that... Keep us posted and we can make plans.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies

Like you Claire, I am coming on here less too, and I'm starting to feel much better as bits of me are healing slowly but surely!!

Obviously I will keep popping back to see how everyone's doing, as I believe there was mention of a possible get together in September time in Birmingham, if people are still up for that I'd love to meet you all in person and have a little tipple to us an our varying journeys.

Cyber hugs to all, Simone xxx

keepthefaith

Sue - mastectomy cossie thinggie - please explain x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All

I seem to be needing to come on here less and less. Feel bad just sloping off but im just happy to be getting on with things and enjoying life again. Works going really well am still on a temporary 3 month contract but am pretty sure will have full time position after as lots going on and ive slotted back in to the team really well.

Hair is definately growing but more at back and sides, very light on top so will prob look like a badger for a while lol Boob is fine, getting the odd shooting pain sometimes and have to grab it dont know if thats normal??

Judy - sorry you are having a rotten time

Teresa - sorry to hear about the cording, good luck with the massage technique learning. Loving the hair, mine not that long yet but its getting started. Would love to add u on facebook, im on there more often will pm u.

Libby - thanks, i am lot happier and glad you are more upbeat too. wow 5 mile walk go you!

Sue - glad you had a good break in scotland

Love to all x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,
just back from four sunny days in the Scottish Highlands - that's never happened to me before, ever! Unfortunately we were taking our non-active relatives on a tour so all we did was hop in and out of the car and go for five minute ambles...oh and eat cake as if we were climbing six mountains a day... not to mention the cooked breakfasts...

All the daffodils were waving in the sunshine - happy days!

Tried a swim in my new mastectomy cossie - whoever suggested just using a shower scrunch thingy (what are they called????) instead of getting a special swimming prothesis was spot on, it worked a treat. My swimming style needs some work - and the best bit was sitting in the jacuzzi at the end - really hot & bubbly.

Libby: Amitryptiline - if nothing else should make you sleepy!

Judy: so sorry about your Dad and cat - a miserable time for you, hope things pick up a bit soon. At least you can enjoy getting out on your horse in the sunshine.

By all for now - my alarm bell has just rung to remind me to go and pick up my cat - what a waste of a cattery with heated cat beds in this weather!!!

Sue

keepthefaith

Libby we are going to have a week in North Devon at the beginning of August, then off to Spain in the mountains in a villa for a week at the end of August, followed by 2 days in a nice hotel in Malaga by the beach and 15 mins from the centre for cultural sightseeing. Should be good. If the weather's not good in Devon, at least we get a week of sun later in the summer! I honestly can't wait. And my hair is now even longer, I go commando all the time now and barely anyone bats an eyelid - as long as I put plenty of eyeliner on and some dangly earrings I look fine. Must do new photo. I keep saying that! I am amazed you can walk 5 miles! I can manage a mile or so, that's enough! Good on you.

Love to everyone else (where are you all?!!) By the way I am back on Facebook after a self-enforced absence - if anyone would like my details on there please PM me.

Teresa x

libsue

Hi ladies,

Sorry I've not been around recently, and thanks to all for your good wishes. I am feeling more upbeat now, I think the glorious weather has raised my spirits.

Judy, hugs winging your way, so sorry to hear of your sad losses. Look after yourself x.

Lulu, thanks for the link, it's a really interesting read and makes complete sense. You must be nearly finished with rads now, I hope you aren't too sore. Great news re your holiday, it's lovely to have something exciting to look forward to. x

Teresa, where's your summer holiday taking you to, and when? By summer (school holiday's?) you'll be well and truly ready for some relaxation. I hope your energy levels improve soon, I'm sure they will. We sometimes expect too much of our poor bodies that have been through so much. Sorry to hear you are still in pain, the physio will help I'm sure. Love your photo, your hair looks great - it's much longer and thicker than mine. Dare I say!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have a lovely shaped head ........... I'm ducking now incase a brick is thrown my way, but you really do have a nice shaped head. x

Lizzy, I hope there's lots of snow in Austria and great apris ski. I'm sure you're having a lovely time, do report back. I think you are right in saying others' can expect too much of us and think we are 'normal' once chemo has finished. Hope to see you soon and hear about your holiday x.

Clare, great to hear your energy levels are up, and that you are enjoying work. Is your job safe now for the time being? You sound so much happier than a couple of weeks ago x.

I had an Onc app today. We discussed rads and apparently I'll be having 15 sessions followed by 5 boosters, so 4 weeks in total. I mentioned my peripheral neuropathy and that it keeps me awake, I was prescribed Amitriptyline, not sure if it will make a difference as I've read on threads about other ladies who've taken it and there was no marked effect, anyway I'm going to give it a try.

My energy levels are definitely improving, I managed a five mile walk (with rests, and mostly on the flat) on Saturday, it felt so good just to know I could do it, mind I was shattered when I got home and my feet were sore, but really felt I'd achieved something.

Love to Simone, Taz, Pat, Sue and anyone I may have forgotten.

Take care ladies,

Hugs to everyone.

Libby xxx

keepthefaith

Very quiet on here lately. Maybe because the weather has been so lovely.

Judy so very sorry to hear about your Dad, and then your cat too - I remember when I had my cat put to sleep, I was gutted and so missed having another living creature in the house during the day. I hope you aren't overdoing it when charging around - take it easy please!

i am still finding energy levels are really low - feel OK in myself, but shattered! Boob area feeling bit better, scar under the arm quite tight and the cording is not good. I've got an appointment next week to get my arm looked at to learn some massage techniques etc I can do at home to prevent it getting worse. I am doing my exercises though. Having to go private as will be such a long wait for NHS physio.

Must get a photo of my hair - am now going out in public commando with no hat! People stare sometimes but not much. Stroud is full of all sorts and pretty much anything goes so I don't stand out that much!

Love to all,enjoy the weekend weather

Teresa xx

PS you that at work - well done I couldn't think of it yet!

Lulu34

Oh judy what a terrible time youve been having so sorry to hear your sad news.

Taz missing a couple of rads won't make that much difference if it was Christmas you wouldn't be getting them on the bank holidays.... But you could maybe see if you could do them first thing on fri morning and last thing on Monday..... Not sure if that would fit in with your plans.... When I had mine last time I was having a long weekend with the BC girls of here and I came in early Friday am for them but wasn't back in time on Monday so just had that one bolted on the end..... This time I'm off to Aberdeen on Friday morning to having that session first thing and they were fine about it.

Simone so far my skin is still looking good although starting to go a wee bit pink.... Don't feel that tired at the mo but I'm sure I'll be feeling exhausted by the end of them.

Lizzy enjoy Austria my holiday is booked and we are off to Minorca in June.

Well done getting back to work Clare... I actually popped into my work today to say hello to folks but feel nowhere near ready to going back yet.

Lulu

Guest user
Not applicable

October Ladies,

Went back to work a couple of weeks ago and then last week was terrible with my Dad dying and then on the Friday I had to have my 18 year old cat put to sleep and I cried a river.

I have read some of the previous posts about activity after chemo/lumpectomy and its interesting to see that advice can vary. I'm 3 weeks post op and my surgeon basically said if you feel OK do it, so back on the horse and charging around generally (energy permitting!!!)

Glad to see 'boob watch' is developing and hair sprouting!!!!!

Onwards and upwards!!!!!

Judy
xxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening all

I havnt been on for few days as ive gone back to work full time this week and am quite enjoying being usefull again. Ive gone back to where i used to work and everyones been really welcoming and i have slotted straight back in. Im feeling great just waiting for my body to catch up, still waiting patiently for my hair to return.... ok im waiting for my hair to return lol im checking it every day!

Feeling quite zonked in the evenings but energy levels are much better than they were so quite pleased with myself. So happy to be out of active treatment now i can even put up with the hot flushes. Boob holding out so far, a little pink and tender at times but its ok. Im also using the aloe vera gel now (less messy and quite soothing)

I have read back but can barely remember what ive read, brain seems to shut down after 5oclock now hehe

Hope everyone is ok, hugs to all x

Lizzy1977

Hi ladies, I've not posted in a while as I'm finding it hard to fit everything in now I'm back at work. My energy levels are much better though and my running is slowly getting better. Of course I'm itching to get back to racing but that will have to wait. I'm going away to Austria at the weekend so can't wait for that. My fingers are still a bit numb following my last TAX 5 weeks ago but they are not as bad as they were. I've still got canckles and the hot flushes are getting worse but for some reason I only get them in the evenings and at night.

tax, that's a bummer about not being able to ride your bike. I hope your surgeon gives you the go ahead.

Theresa, that's great news on your results 🙂

Libby, sorry to hear you are feeling down. To be honest I have been feeling worse mentally since finishiing chemo. I think it's partly because everyone thinks you should be back to normal and it's not quite as easy as that

Well I better get back to work!
Take care everyone
Lizzyx

Guest user
Not applicable

thanks for your comments ladies
libby- i saw your post about feeling down - my op was 22nd feb and yesterday i felt just like you - floodgates just wouldn't stop and my little border collie pup ( although he now 1) did not know what to do with me but i guess it is all part of the course given what our bodies have been through. it seems so strange to be like that when you don't physcially feel that bad - had to tell my husband to hid the biscuits as when get down can't resist a biscuit and would happily sit and eat a packet! keep your chin up together we will all get through this

teresa- i have been told not to ride my bike due to healing process was gutted by that as not ridden since sept 11 when got diagnosed and chomping at the bit to get out on it - oh well they say patience is a virtue which i think i must be lacking!

thanks for your advice re rads- i will see what onc say. got a check up on thursday with my breast surgeon so fingers crossed he will let me start doing stuff as i get so boooooooored!

have a good evening everyone and it is great to know you are out there.

maybe when we are all up and running we can get together somewhere and have a natter and swop stories
big hugs tazx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Libby, High 5 on the lashes. I got Aloe Vera Gel, 99.9%, from Holland and Barrett. Only used it when rads had finished as the skin didn't break until 3 or 4 days after last zapping and then it got a bit sore but not completely debilitating and when I started using Aloe Vera it stopped it feeling sore, good times!

Lulu, I wasn't too badly burnt, just a bit red and sore, with a bit of peeling underneath like bad sunburn so just kept up with acqueous cream and then aloe vera when rads had finished, jobs a good 'un! The tiredness is a bit of a mare isn't it, I ended up asking for mine to be late in afternoon so I could work in morning, go home have a little nana nap and then drive to hospital for rads, come home, shower, feed face then flake out for the night! Good to hear you had a good weekend, now get swotting up for the next quiz!!! lol!

Teresa, I believe I've been busted on the choccy front!!!! lol! But I am kind of proud that I restrained myself by only consuming 1 bar on Mother's day, but the second will be gone by tonight!!!

Hi Taz, as Teresa says I'd ask the team as they're usually quite accommodating and don't mind rearranging a couple of dates. Fingers crossed for you xx

Gentle hugs to all, Simone xxx

keepthefaith

Hi taz
What a pain! May i suggest you ring your onc and see what they say, i wouldnt have thought a long weekend was a problem, surely they could work out your sessions around those days? I wasnt clear why you couldnt ride your bike. Was it because if the healing or because of interference with rads?
Hope you heal quickly, it is a damn nuisance. Wonder if you have tried taking arnica to help? You may find it useful.
Sorry dor brevity and uselesstyping am doing this on phone !

Teresa x

Guest user
Not applicable

hi ladies been a while since posted as supposed just trying to get on with stuff. had chemo and now had a lumpectomy 4 weeks tomorrow and still swollen and brusied. can't start radiotherpay till swelling goes down and just getting fed up and frustrated with whole thing as have been told basically that am not allowed to do anything yet and only allowed to do the very basic exercises that one is given - has anyone else been the same am i just being very impatient with it all

the other dilemma i have is that was going away in may to le mans to watch some bike racing. was hoping to ride my bike over but have been told i can't. because not started radiotherapy yet, by the time i do it will interfere with me going away. do i put treatment on hold till come back ( it is only for a long weekend) or do i not go at all? any views or thoughts would be appreciated thanks taz and best wishes to you all

keepthefaith

Lulu - It was grade 1 from the core biopsy at diagnosis too. And yes one of the 2 sentinel nodes they took out had macromets. I am glad you think it's positive, I do too, or at least as positive as it can be!

Congrats on the arrival opf your granddaughter Pat.

Enjoy planning your holiday Lulu - I have booked our summer hols, can't wait to get away!

I'm going to get some aloe vera gel today too I think, as going on a little shopping expedition with my brother.

Hope you enjoyed the choccy, Simone - I hope you didn't wolf it down all in one go! You wouldn't do anything like that, now, would you?!! lol.

Libby glad to hear you sounding a bit more chirpy - go easy.

Love
Teresa xx

Lulu34

Wow Theresa that's pretty fantastic news.... Did you have positive nodes at the outset? And what grade was your biopsy? It's sounding very positive.

Libby sorry things are getting hard for you... But please keep posting.... It's times like this when you need support more... Have you read the article about after the treatment finishes? I'll try and post the link... It's common to feel like you do though.
http://www.cancercounselling.org.uk/northsouth/extra4.nsf/WebResClient/1761049276601BD68025735B00604...

Congratulations on the birth of your granddaughter Pat... 9lb5oz that's some bundle of joy!

Simone glad your not too burnt to a crips and that the aloe is helping. Do remember to take it easy... I was out at the weekend with the models from the bcc Glasgow fashion show we had a lovely long lunch and then met my Bf later and was pretty knackered on Sunday but had a nice day at my mums with the family and we went to the quiz even the kids came along too... Still never won! Maybe next week LOL

Now over half way through rads 11 done and 9 to go.... Getting very tired now though, but planning a family holiday in menorca in June so looking forward to relaxing and recuperating.

Love to all
Lxxx

libsue

Simone, thanks for your understanding and the offer of a chat over a cuppa', I might take you up on that soon. It's reassuring to know it's not just me who feels low, but that some of you too have had these feelings (hope it is just me now - that everyone else is feeling calm).

As I'm not usually a person who gets down I'm expecting this phase to be temporary, and am determined to try and focus on positives. I was given a boost tonight, while rubbing my eyes I was sure I felt evidence of eyelashes and rushed to the mirror, couldn't see any, my OH looked and said there was definitely some growth, I grabbed TWO pairs of glasses (to magnify) and lo and behold my wonderful lashes had made a comeback, seems to have happened overnight! How long does it take for them to reach full length? Here I go again 'miss impatient'. I was delighted though, ah how the little things excite! I'm fed up of wearing head coverings now and wish my hair would put on a spurt. Patience has never been a virtue with me.

I'm going to get some Aloe Vera gel, Simone, does it need to be a particular make? Did you apply throughout rads, or when you'd finished treatment?

Night night all.

Libby x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hey Ladies

Boobwatch 2 weeks after rads, and looking good, aloe vera gel worked wonders and really took the sting out of soreness. I felt that good I went for tea with friends on Friday and stayed out until midnight, it was a bit of a cinderella deal though!! I got home and flaked out for 2 days, still you can't beat a bit of quality pj time, especially when my son turned up with a lovely card and 2 great big bars of Galaxy choc, yummmmmm! My boy knows me soooooo well as he said "don't worry I haven't got you flowers!!! haha!

Lulu, Thanks for the heads up about hot weather, it's the hot ears that freak me out, sweaty head and a big tomato face I can deal with though!!! hope you're good xx

Libby, it is sooooo confusing, especially when you're not generally down in the dumps! It completely threw me as it was an alien feeling for me and I couldn't understand why I was feeling low and even worse my face kept leaking!!!! I can't remember the last time I cried before being diagnosed, and then after that the floodgates were well and truly open!!!! aaaaghhhhh! I spoke to my BCN who told me it's quite common, not only is it a lot to deal with but all the poison disguised as medication contributes to your ride on the emotional roller coaster. I also got a bit confused when my chemo arm stopped hurting as much, I got some eyelashes and a millimetre of hair on my head and my brain told me I was getting better so I grabbed a trolley instead of a basket at the supermarket, then paid for that one for a couple of days flaked out on the sofa!!!! Anytime you need to offload, this is the place to do it, 'cos we all get it both physically and mentally, hang in there you'll get stronger day by day, unfortunately for us impatient folk it never seems to get here quick enough!!! haha! If ever you need a chat and a cuppa let me know xx

Teresa, 2 thumbs up for your results, go you, also sending you a big fat cyber hug xx

Pat, congrats to you and your family, hope you got lots of nana cuddles in xx

Wishing you all a restful night and gentle hugs, Simone

libsue

What happy news, Pat. Congratulations to you all. Are mum and baby home yet?

Take care and enjoy drooling over your grandaughter.

Love to you all.

Libby x

Patlufc

Hi everyone, hope you are all doing ok and had a lovely mothers day. I got a lovely present of a beautiful grandaughter. She weighed 9lb 5oz.
Take care

Pat x

libsue

That must be a huge relief for you, Teresa. I'm so pleased to hear it.

Is it rads next? I hope to find out at my Onc appointment on Monday when my rads will be.

I've just got home, OH and I went into town, we decided against a walk as it was cold here today. We have a friend who runs a cafe in town and we went to see her which was lovely, she cheered me up,

Time to make evening meal, catch up later.

Libby x

keepthefaith

Good on ya Libby, sounds like a great plan, glad you're feeling more together. Pleased to help, know you would have said the same to me!

Results were good - tumour grade 1, 5mm left (shrunk by about 2/3rds) and no lympho-vascular invasion. A large area of DCIS also still in the breast - apparently the chemo doesn't usually affect that as the cells don't divide as rapidly. No signs of any cancer in the lymph nodes they removed (not sure how many) although obviously there could have been some in there, but usually larger micro or macro-mets produce some scarring when the cancer dies. I guess that's pretty much as positive as it can be for now.

How's everyone else doing on this lovely spring day?

T xx

libsue

Teresa,

Thanks for your kind words, support and understanding, it's comforting to know there's people who DO 'get it'. You have helped me put things into perspective and realise I AM normal, that most of us have down days at some point. I suppose what's getting me down is the fact that my low spirits have hit AFTER chemo and surgery, in my mind I thought that would be the stage I'd be feeling focused on my future and calmer, instead I'm feeling desolate and down in the dumps. I think I'm disappointed with myself, though you've woken me up (thanks) and I'm starting to realise my reactions are the same as most BC sufferers and to be expected, we aren't super women. Writing things down certainly helps, and reading through what you and I've written I now feel emotional, I'm going to shed a few tears then pull myself together and go out with OH for a walk and some fresh air. You're a marvel, thank you.

I sooooooooo hope you receive good results today, my fingers are crossed for you. x.

Wishing all the posse good days ahead.

Hugs to all.

Libby xxx

keepthefaith

Hi all

Libby, please don't worry about "burdening us with your mood". Firstly it is NOT a burden, we are all here for each other, and secondly, collectively our shoulders are plenty wide enough to take it. Goodness knows I've been there often enough, and so have the rest of us. Our small but select little club on here have given me so much love and support over the last months, it is nothing to provide it for you too. Now I am getting emotional! I think low spirit is normal in these circumstances - can't you honestly understand it? Major surgery on top of chemo, plus battling with the emotional effects of having cancer? C'mon you know you are bound to get low times. So yes, in answer to your questions, I have been there, and I'm sure the others have too, so please don't feel alone. Maybe just be sharing your feelings yesterday you might be feeling more positive today? Don't be expecting too much too soon.

So,sending you lots of love and hugs - don't keep it to yourself! I always feel like I only post when I've got something to moan about.

Enjoy the weather, PJ posse - it is glorious sunshine here in Gloucestershire, and I am going to get my results this morning hope no nasty surprises, but if there are I will just have to deal with it.

Take care

Teresa xx

libsue

Hi, everyone,

I've consciously kept away for a few days as didn't want to burden you all with my mood. I've been a bit down in the dumps the past while which I can't get my head around as chemo finished 12th Jan, surgery was 23rd Feb, and I don't understand my low spirit. Throughout my treatment I managed to stay buoyant and strong, now I'm a pathetic, weak woman. I'm sure it will pass, certainly hope so - and quick (flipping better do). My confidence has deserted me, I look in the mirror and do not recognise the image staring back at me, I feel ugly, my figure has disappeared and still have no eyelashes or brows. Why am I feeling so desolate when I should be looking to the future and good times ahead? Maybe I'm trying to rush things? Does anyone else have these same feelings? Thinking logically, I suppose during treatment I had a distraction to focus on whereas now there's nothing to divert my attention away from me. Oh deary me, I really do sound like a piteous, silly woman, who needs to pull herself together, sorry! I will be having rads in April, maybe when that's done I'll be able to move forward.

Apologies for burdening myself here, but wonder if anyone can empathise with my state of mind? Or is it just me?

Moving on, I hope all mums' enjoyed Mothers' Day. And hope all the PJ posse had a good weekend.

Wishing everyone calm and serene days ahead.

Take care.

Hugs, Libby x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all
hope you are all having lovely sunny weather this weekend!

Teresa - I don't think anyone answered the soreness question... the good news is I can't remember how long it lasted and so I guess that is because it went quite quick! I think I stopped codeine very quickly - just had it for 3-4 nights then stayed on paracetamol and diclofenac full dose for a couple more weeks then paracetamol for a couple of weeks after that... and not because I was in much pain, just was too scared to give them all up in case they were working really well and I hadn't realised! Oh and I think the most discomfort was always reconstruction related - I don't think my mastectomy scar has been any bother.

I'm sure your seroma hasn't helped one bit and if they can get on top of that things will rapidly improve.

Good luck with your results.

Everyone else - I'm thinking of you all! Especially the cankles

Sue

Lulu34

Theresa our unit says no to cream! Soim doing without and my skin is fine... Last times I had rads I got quite burned but this time is to clavicle rather than breasts so maybe just affects it differently.

Glad you enjoyed the film.... Sounds lovely.

Oh good luck on Monday T will be keeping my fingers crossed all is as previously expected.

Lulu xxx

keepthefaith

Hi guys

Well done Clare, what a relief to have finished. High Five!

Lulu are you not using any cream at all on your rads site? Best Exotic... was a lovely film, the type that is easy watching, great actors and I sat there with a grin on my face all the way through.

Simone, the mind boggles!!

The results are definitely in so I will be getting them Monday for sure. Bit nervous but not going to think about it at the weekend.

Teresa xx

Lulu34

Clare well done on finishing rads.... I'm now half way through mine.... My skin looks fab wouldn't even know I being zapped and no cream!

Sorry your flushing.... You might find some foods are more likely to cause flushing, things containing caffiene, alcohol and spicy things can make them worse.... Also if I eat or drink something hot it can make you get more flushes.... They are annoying though lol.

Theresa how was the film?

Simone I found my flushes weren't so bad in the heat... I think because your roasting already the flushes just kinda mingle in with that... Mine are worse when I go from cold to hot it's changes in temp that brings them on worst for me but when it's a steady temperature I don't tend to get so many.

Love lulu xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Teresa, obviously I will be walking around both bald and naked during the hot days of summer, praying none of my colleagues arrest me for indecent exposure or actual bodily harm by making people feel a bit ill!!!!!!! Joking apart I'm really not looking forward to any blistering heat waves, my temper and temperature's bad enough at the moment! heehee! Good luck Monday xx

Lulu, so close, better luck next time xx

Clare, Hi 5 on your last zapping, have a fab time with your friends xx

Gentle hugs to all, and wishing you all a restful weekend, Simone xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Ladies

Well the day finally arrived....im all done!! Phew!! Had last zaps today and took great pleasure in ditching my gown and saying fairly well to the nurses. Was seen quite quickly too no delays for a change.

Im off out tonight to the theatre as an end of treatment treat from my lovely friends, hope i can stay awake hehe

Simone - glad you enjoyed your break in plymouth

Teresa - glad you are feeling a bit better, hope you get your results monday. Hope you had a good night

Im hating the hot flushes which seem to be intensifying as the weeks go on but no other awful se's from it (yet)

Love to all x

Lulu34

teresa there is usually scarring in any cencerous nodes so they have a pretty good idea of the ones affected.

hope you enjoyed your day at the movies!

lxx

keepthefaith

They said the results will hopefully be ready for Monday morning, if not it'll be Tuesday afternoon. The wheels of the NHS turn slowly, what my friend calls "hospital time"!! They aren't going to tell me much anyway I wouldn't have thought - I guess, whether the chemo ha shrunk the tumour, the extent of any lvi, and how many nodes were affected (although they won't be able to do that too accurately because of having chemo first).

Oh Simone! What can you do about cankles? I already am getting loads of hot flushes - they seem to have got worse since my op, am already using the summer duvet and a vest top / PJ trouser combo in bed, and usually I would have winter duvet and a throw over me, and long sleeved PJs. What will I be like come the summer?!

Those of you who have had Mx earlier, how long does it raelly take for the soreness to go away? It still feels really strange, quite tight and sore, but am doing exercises to help lymph and arm movement.

Going to see Best Exotic Marigold Hotel tonight - thoroughly looking forward to it.

Teresa xx

Lulu34

teresa have they said when your results will be available? nothing like keeping you waiting hey.... glad your feeling more comfortable now you had your seroma drained... i had one after my surgery in sept i n the top of my chest basically looked like my boob was grown a smaller boob out the top of it.... it felt so much better after it was deflated and luckily never refilled enough to need drained again and then went away altogether.

simone we didnt win but we came second.... its the best we have done for a while.

im on water tablets for fluid retention... its mainly pre-tibial oedema in my case and my ankles arent too bad most of the time iv had it long before tamoxifen but that doesnt help it... i find having a pillow at the bottom of my bed to put my feet on helps a bit.

take care ladies
nanite xx
Lulu

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies, managed to read some of your comments and we all seem to be going through some icky times in one form or another!

Don't want to appear flippant, but blimey being ill is not just tiring but I'm fed up of it all now and I haven't had it half as bad as some of you ladies! Lizzy, I've been on tamoxifen since end of Feb and there's no getting away from it I am now the proud owner of 2 Cankles (no separation between calf and ankle)!! apparently water retention! I was advised to drink plenty of water and gentle exercise. Other side effects have been emotions up and down, hot sweats and headaches, oh and not forgetting stiff joints, thought I was going to have to apply for a double hip replacement the other day!!

Radiotherapy Boob is healing well now, just a little raw where the skin has peeled underneath but have applied 99.9% aloe vera and it really has taken the sting out of it and it just feels a bit stiff now, phew!

Clare, loving your poem, wish I was as creative. Are you nearing the end of your rads now, hope so xx

Sue, good to hear work's going well. I know exactly what you mean about doing half days, very strange to leave after lunch and leave the rest of the work to other members of the team, who assure me they don't mind!! Glad your run went well, I can't wait to start running again xx

Lulu, hope you, your sis and dad won the quiz night xx

Judy, good to hear you're starting to feel ok xx

Teresa, gentle hugs to you, hope things are not too unbearable xx

Hugs to all, Simone xxx

keepthefaith

Hi all

Feeling abit more up-beat the last couple of days, have had alovely morning out-and-about this morning. Went down town to meet friend for coffee, with my little softie in, and then did a couple of errands at the shops.

To fill you in on yesterday, after all the anxiety, no results - they aren't ready yet! They rang just before I was about to leave for hospital. i went anyway to have massive seroma drained (it was nearly as big as my normal boob!) - such relief afterwards, and the BS also gave me a kennalog (sp?) steroid injection which can help cut down on the fluid production, so far so good - it hasn't filled back up overnight.

Lizzy and Sue, so glad you are both getting back to fitness. Simone, glad you had a great time in Plymouth, Judy carry on the recovery you're doing well I'm sure, and love to all

Teresa xx

Lizzy1977

Hi ladies,

Clare, love the poem and the sentiment. Hope you are feeling a bit better and less tired from your rads appointments

Teresa, hope your results are ok (gentle hugs)and that you feel better after being drained.

Sue, well done for your run, sounds like you are doing well. I ran better at training this evening than last week. I'm slow but I'm getting there

Judy, glad you're recovering from your op

Lulu, I can't decide whether the swelling/water retention is from the Herceptin or the Tamoxifen. I've still got pitting edema in my shins but it's not as bad as last week. Yes I'm trying to put my feet up but I keep forgetting! I've not spoken to the unit about it, guess I should really.

simone, glad you had a great time in Plymouth

Time for me to go to bed
sleep well
Lizzyxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hey Ladies, I survived the drive to Plymouth and back and had a fabulous time, spent some quality time with family and listened to to the tales that only 3 two year olds could come up with about how they like to jump, wee on their potties and go on a big boys slide in the playground, topping it all off nicely with their special rendition of "Moves like Jagger"!!!!!!! You can't beat that innocent outlook on life to make you feel so much better, hilarious!

Well, I've got a bit of catching up to do on this thread

Wishing you all a restful night, Simone xxx

keepthefaith

Getting pathology results from the op today - hope there aren't any more nasty surprises for me!

Otherwise feeling OK - waiting for the sun to burn through the drizzly fog here in Gloucestershire, reckon we might be lucky by lunchtime.

T x

keepthefaith

Hi Sue, thanks for asking!

I am a bit fed up as I have a huge seroma behind my wound and never know whether to go up and get it drained! I get all sorts of weird sensations in there, and worry about it. I am going up to hospital tomorrow anyway for my results so have decided to leave it until then, they can decide tomorrow whether or not it needs draining. I just worry about it really. I am a bit of a worrier. Other than that, have a bit of painful cording in my arm, but it is easing with exercises, adn feeling OK in myself just a bit wobbly. Managed to pop out this morning to the nearest cafe, about 5 mins walk away with a friend for a cuppa, so obviously beginning to improve!

I long for the day when I don't think about cancer for an hour or so! I think being addicted to the forum doesn't help! I should get out more!

Glad to hear you are fighting the fight and getting active again

So sorry to moan, everyone, I'm not really that down, just cross at being in this position of total dependency again, and not liking having stuff to worry about:(

Good news from you, Judy - well done, and a great poem Clare -again! How is your swelling Lizzy? Hope you enjoyed the quiz, Lulu.

Have a good day all
T xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hey all,
really excited as back from my run - just waiting for the bathroom to warm up a tad more so I can have a well deserved soak - so sorry if I'm a bit whiffy! - So will bore you with the details...ran (slowly) for 4 min 30 sec bursts with 1 min walk in between, was out for just under half an hour... so it won't be long before I have to find a longer loop. Also have realised once again - no thoughts of cancer - Yippee this is the way to go!!!!

Judy - after my ops in August/Sept, I started off by walking slowly to the village green and back which was all of 10 mins. So don't worry if you can hardly do a thing at the mo...hubby even had to put my shoes on my feet and do up the laces. Well, I still have to sit on a chair to put shoes on as I can't manage the balance thing very well... so just tackle one day at a time, try and do a little more of whatever it takes to get you back to doing what makes you happy - but not too much on any one day...and you'll get there!

How are you doing Theresa?

Hope everyone had a great weekend

Sue

Guest user
Not applicable

October ladies,

Well it's a week an a half post op and I feel OK, the only thing that is a little tender is the armpit. The Surgeon was delighted with the results and have to see him in 6 months. No Tamox for me as I'm a negative something or other and Rads in 4 weeks and again I have been lucky as I have transferred from West London to Bracknell for Rads as its a 10 minute drive. I feel for you ladies who are having to travel long distances every day but suppose its a day closer.

Clare - awsome poem 'to hell and back' - I am sure everybody relates to it.
Sue - I am amazed that you are going for a proper run a 10 minute brisk walk and i'm feeling it

Teresa - Hope you feel better soon and I certainly understand the lack of enthusiasm, I can only think that its a bit like falling of the escalator into the real world when you have spent the last 6 months running the wrong way.

Simone - hope you're having a great break in Plymouth and sqeezing babies.....lol

Libby - Not nice to have something else to worry about so just keep on fighting xx

Well the journey continues, eyebrows get thicker, hair is sprouting and the sun is shining!!!

Hugs to all

Judy
xxxx

Lulu34

Clare love your poem.... I'm lucky my travelling is only 20-30mins to hosp. Hope your flushes settle down over the next few months.

Lizzy tamox can occassionally cause oedema but not sure it would happen so quickly. Also tamox can cause clots which can cause pain and sweeping but only I one limb so if it's equal to both clots are unlikely but I'm sure your team will want to check it out.

I have leg swelling but had it long before I was on tamoxifen but do take water tablets to try and help it.... It gets worse if I stand or walk a lot but generally have a bit of swelling by the end of the night if I haven't been sitting with my feet up.... It's mostly in my calves but my ankles also puff up if I'm on them a lot.

Sue I'm looking forward to going back to work as I love my job too but just feel too shattered at the mo... Wouldn't be so bad if I could just stay still for the whole time as its moving about that makes me feel very weak and painful.

Orienteering sounds like fun and I'm glad you have some BC free time.... I'm sure that will get longer and longer.

Im off to quiz night with my sis and dad to try and get those wee grey cells working.

Lulu xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi and Hugs to all,
just a quick hello as I'm now back at work - supposedly half days, but it is soooo hard to go home at lunchtime as there is soooo much to do - and I am a lucky bunny as I love my job (well most of the time).

Yesterday I went orienteering for the first time since last May - just scuttled round the easy course (all the other people on my course were over 70 or under 10) but really enjoyed it - and just went out with one boob if you know what I mean, but didn't feel self conscious - and it was only after the event that I realised I hadn't thought about BC for a whole hour.

Will try a proper run tomorrow and see what happens

Sue

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning Ladies

Libby - good news about your clear margins. Hope your appointment goes well and you get some answers on your latest concern about mbc im sure its worrying when new/different things arise x

Simone - hope you having a lovely break in plymout x

Lizzy - i have been on tamoxifen for 3 weeks and the only side effect i think i have from it is the horrid hot flushes which seem to be getting more frequent and intense :o( not had swollen ankles and calfs but could well be tamoxifen hope this passes soon x

Ive had an up and down week emotionally but think that could also be tamoxifen messing with me. Been bit fed up with travelling to hospital every day for rads (35 mile each way) then waiting around for ages but only 5 more to go...cant wait! Still waiting for hair to return, i have tiny bit of soft fuzz at the moment 6 weeks from last chemo!

I wrote another poem today which id like to share with you....

Been a long road
but its coming to an end
my nightmare will be over
and my body will mend

My hair will return
i can get back to me
wont worry about the future
what will be will be

Been to hell and back
and it aint been no fun
but im looking forward now
to my holiday in the sun

Wont forget love and support
they know who they are im sure
but in particular
my wonderful mother in law

Hope everyone is ok and having a good weekend, hugs to all x

keepthefaith

Lizzy, I have that joy to come! I expect Lulu can answer that one for you, but it does sound like it could be a side effect deosn't it?

Hope it gets better very soon

T xx

Lizzy1977

Hi ladies,

Simone, hope you have a good time in Plymouth.

Have any of you started Tamoxifen? I started on Monday and my ankles and calfs have swelled up. I'm not sure if that's normal.

I hope everyone has a good weekend

Lizzy xx