Starting Chemo on Tuesday 14th October

Hi all of you out there!

I have had my appointments through for my chemotherapy and wondered if anyone out there would like to act as a buddy and help me through this?

I have a pre-treatment appointment on Friday October 10th and chemo itself starts on Tuesday October 16th. As far as I know I am due to have 6 FEC’s. I have had a mastectomy on 8th September and although healing well and generally feeling positive I am still needing draining done every 5 days or so! I have been contemplating going back to work whist on chemo (see my other thread under this heading) but am not sure it is a wise move and my GP has signed me off until 6th November. I will discuss this at my appointment on Friday and also with my GP when I see him next week. I am very worried about managing financially as I have a limited period of sick pay due to being off work with depression for a long time at the beginning of the year.

Looking forward to hearing from some of you and making friends.

Hannah

Hi Hannah

I’m due to start chemo on 14th Oct following a mastectomy on 4th Sept, seems I’m a week ahead of you in terms of treatment so we can go through this together! Sorry to hear about the draining, that must be a real pain, I needed mine done once which wasn’t too bad but can’t imagine having it done every 5 days. From what I’ve read on other threads you may be alright going back to work. From what I’ve read I don’t think it’s going to be as bad as I’ve baeI first thought.Been thinking the worst which is probably ok cos at least then nothing is gonna surprise me. One thread titled ‘starting FEC 2nd Oct’ is really positive with lots of tips and positive stories, you might want to have a look. Not sure if I’m going back to work as I work in a school and am worried about picking up colds etc from the kids. Will wait and see how I feel and how bored I get - there’s only so much daytime TV I can take!!

Take care,
Cazz

Hi Hanna…the 16th Oct is a Thursday!!! I am also starting FEC on this day, so we can buddy up with Cazz as we’re all within a couple of days… I also had mx on 3rd Sept and so far have been fine, but the chemo is scary for me. I also have 5 weeks of rads after that.

I work for a Doctor so also a bit wary about working, but I have been offered another room to work from away from the patients and their infections.

I agree with being at home. Really sole destroying. I try and get out everyday, usually start with a good two hours in the woods with the dog, but even she is on the sick list at the moment, as she’s got a deep chest cut.

Anyway…let’s meet up here and trade tips

Hi Everyone. Great to hear from you and I am attempting to reply for the third time as my computer as just crashed. Yes I did get the date wrong - it is Tuesday October 14th that I start chemo. I’ve corrected the title of this discussion. I have 4 medical appointments next week so I was bound to get in a muddle! Draining with the nurse on Monday, Chemo Tuesday and then GP and also a Bone Density Scan on Thursday!! All I need is another appointment on Friday for draining and I will have come full circle!!

I am also having radiotherapy for 3 weeks after chemo and will be on Arimidex for 5 years assuming my bone density scan is OK.

Had a good evening sampling beauty products at the local Breast Cancer Support Group tonight. Looking forward to sharing with you all the experience of chemo over the coming months.

Hannah

Poppet is also starting on 14th…so she might join us. I got my hair cut short yesterday as I thought it would be the best chance with the cold cap.

I had drainage 3 times on my mx - apparently it is quite common for those of us with more up top!!! It was totally painless. My wound is going hard now, which I’ve been told is normal, and then it should soften again I have loads of skin though as surgeon left it in readiness for recon when and if, I want it, so I still have a bit of boob there…

Anyway - this time next week we’ll be on the next stage. Hope the scans etc all go well. I get the result of mine next Tues when i see the onc and visit the chemo ward…

Hi!

Went to pre chemo appointment yesterday. Went quite well, but quite a trek as it is 20 or so miles away and I had to be there at 9.15! All explained and have decided not to go for cold cap as I felt one and thought I could not face that on my head for 1-2 hours! Anyway if I lose my hair I get the chance to try a new style and colour. I’ll be glad to see the back of being grey for a while. My one concern though is the actual process of getting a wig on the NHS. The chemo nurse was going to do a wig referral but that will be with someone at that hospital. I know of a wig shop locally that I know deals with NHS patients and others going through chemo at the same hospital have used and want to use them. Also concerned how long it will be before I get the referral as I want to get a wig before my hair starts to fall out! Hopefully I can find out more on Tuesday when I have my first chemo. Did get given a thermometer so don’t need to go and buy one thankfully. Going to organise myself with a bag to take with me for chemo days to include food, drink and plenty of reading material for all the waiting involved!.

How are the rest of you getting on?

Best Wishes
Hannah

hi hannah and co, I might link up with you too, having only just discovered this forum. Iv done one epi already just over a week ago and i don’t know anyone who has been through it so this is a great place to get some support. I can relate to all your chat, having had two ops over the summer and then having rads lined up for after the chemo. I think iv coped ok with my first zapping but its definately an odd experience. take care xxx

Hannah - I was told you can get funding from the Macmillan for Wig. They give you a voucher to use at whichever shop you choose. our NHS ones are purchased from a specified shop in East London…you will automatically get VAT off at any wig shop if you fill out a form stating you are on chemo.

I was talking to OH this morning and decided the best way to deal with my chemo is in two sets of 6 weeks. So…I have 3 x FEC which will be (hopefully) in my system within 6 weeks(I know the after effects will be around for the full 9, but it sounds better) . Then 3 weeks off and same regime with the TAX. I know it ends up to be the same 18+ weeks but it sounds so much more manageable and sits well with my organised mind!!!

Welcome Carmel - good to have someone on board who’s slightly ahead of the game and can offer some advice x

Hannah…interesting your comments about the cold cap…I’ve got my appt on Tues so I’ll let you know what mine’s like. Like the idea of the picnic…just wondering…what happens if you need to pee in the middle of cold cap treatment???

PS: Bit of a rambling, confusing post - just thinking aloud - ignore me!

Hi all of you above. I wish you all the luck with the forthcoming chemo treatments. I had chemo first to reduce the lump , which finished 7 weeks ago, and have just had my operation. I had 3 x FEC and 3 x TAX. I found it such a help being able to ‘talk’ to others who had already been through it, especially when worried about some of the side effects! It is not as bad as you probably think it will be and you will get through it. time will fly past. Just wanted you to know, that if you want to ask questions, pick my brain or just have a whinge, feel free to get in touch!
good luck to you all. will be thinking of you and reading this thread to see how you get on.
deb x

Hi Debs,
I will be having my 2nd of 4 tax on thurs all being well. (also had 3 ac) last tax on nov 27th. How long after last chemo do they usually do the op.? Wonder if I may have mine b4 Christmas? or at least b4 new year. then rads. When do they decide how many rads you need, after the op I suppose when they know whats what! Are u having rads>

Chris x

ooooops,
just read it was 7 weeks after chemo. Is that about right for everyone?

Chris x

hi Ladies,
Can I ask Pheebster and debs66 why you are having Fec and Tax? Have heard a few people mention tax and don’t know what it is. I’m having 6 FEC. Hi Hannah, how are you feeling about Tues. I keep thinking I’m ok and then start getting palpitations, must be worrying subconsiously maybe. Had a bitof a moment during school pick up on Friday, one of the girls asked me if I had anything planned for weekend, and I burst out crying!!! Where did that come from. Pals were really good, gave me a hug and luckily had sunglasses with me to hide panda eyes. Went home and had a good cry with hubby then had a couple of glasses of bubbly and felt loads better.

Take care
cazzb xx

Hi cazz, I was definitely scared but knowing so little about the whole thing was a mixed blessing I think. The room where they administer the treatment was surreal. Lots of old hands getting on with it and me completely clueless!! You’ll be fine I’m sure. Who are you taking with you? my husband wanted to come but we decided to let him stick with work commitments as my mum was free to take me. He took time off to look after me on the first few days which was great. I don’t think iv ever felt so well cared for as i do at the moment, which is one of the odd plus points of this journey. Iv been very very touched by people’s kindness and generosity. thinking about you tuesday ladies and willing you to manage side effects as well as can be expected. xxxx

Hi Ladies
I had my masectomy on 6th Aug then node clearance on 3rd of Sept, and i start my chemo on Friday the 17th, im doing the tact2 trial arm 4, it will be great to chat with others going through it at the same time as me, these threads have been a great source of information and some funny stories to keep up my spirits.
I seem to be getting more nervous as the day gets closer, i am so used to taking control and with this i have to let others be in charge,I dont like this, and i bet nobody else does either,
stay strong stay positive
Shirl

Hi Carmel
Feeling more in control now and just want to get first one over and done with so I know what I’m dealing with. My huby is coming with me and like you am being wrapped in cotton wool! He’s always been great but is really pulling out all the stops now - could get quite used to it. Hi Trojan agree with you about threads, they have been an inspiration. What is the tact2 trial? have heard it mentioned on a couple of threads. If you’re anything like me nerves will get less as day gets nearer funnily enough.
best wishes
love cazz

Hi ladies,

is there a reason why we cant have mx and node clearance on the same day?

Best wishes to all
Chris x

I had mx & nodes out on same day (though not all of them) and it was all done from the one single incision.

Cazz: Don’t know the reason for the two different chemo’s. I was offered 6 x FEC or 3 x FEC/3 x TAX. I was told the second option was slightly ‘punchier’ and reduced recurrence by a further 5%…don’t know all the stats as I was freaking out by this stage in my consultation with onc!!!

Like others I just want to get on with this now. Have bit o cold and cough at the moment, so hope this wont delay things, as we are away for half term - can’t wait!! Taking the dog with us to Devon - loads of fresh air and walks. Oh is coming to the first session with me, and then I have offers from friends…and like so many of us…they have been fabulous.

Anyway I am with the onc tomorrow, so I will ask why the mix…

Good luck for this week girls…sure we’ll have lots of notes to swap by the weekend!!!

Hi Chris
hope you are coping well on the tax. I had my last chemo 7 weeks before having the op, but the usual, I believe, is about 4 weeks, that is what the doctors told me. I waited longer because I was being given a breast reduction at the same time, and as the op is so much longer, they needed the theatre free for the half day that surgery took place. Also, my son went to uni exactly 4 weeks after the chemo ended and they allowed me time to take him away first. Oncologist advised that rads would be between 3 1/2 and 5 1/2 weeks and it would be decided after the op, and if i remember rightly, i think it is due to the size of the breast! but i may be wrong!!! they probably take other factors into account to. I get the results on wed from the node biopsy and if clear will go into rads. if not clear, another op, more chemo and then rads. from what i believe, rads starts about 4 weeks after the op/chemo finishes, but again, dont quote me!! good luck, hope all goes well and you get it done soon xx

hi cazz - every oncologist seems to be different, but from talking to a lot of the girls on here, i think the most popular chemo combination seems to be both FEC and TAX. Tax is just another of the chemos used. I was given tax as i had chemo first to reduce the lump and was told that the tax is more aggressive, so after having my body get used to the fec, they went in with the tax to shock it and hopefully take away the roaming cells that may be around!

hope all goes well with you all and wish you luck
deb x

Cazz,
The Tact2 trial was offered to me and i took it up. Its about seeing what modes of treatment are more effective (quality of life as well as BC outcomes) There are four different arms one of which is standard treatment. I liked the idea of getting some of my chemo in tablet form (two of the arms include this) as i don’t like needles very much but now im on it that seems a bit of a non issue compared with coping with side effects. Know what i mean- mode of delivery least of my worries… ha ha.
I too had my ops spaced out. My surgeon explained to me he likes to take the least invasive option so had the sample of nodes taken when I had my MX come back clear then that would have prevented me suffering unnecessry complications relating to lymph node removal. As it turned out, mine were involved so I would have benefitted from the all in one go approach. Who knows… All I say is stiff arm, stiff arm and numb armpits!!! Thats me. What is the world coming to three months ago, I wouldn’t have known a lymph node if it bashed me on the head!!
xx

Hi Pheebster
Thanks for the info might ask my onc if it would be suitable for me. HI dipstick (great name) had my mx and nodes cleared at same time, one incision. Suppose everyone different, depends on surgeon I would imagine.Hi Hannahtate good luck for tomorrow will be thinking of you.
Cazzb x