Starting FEC-T January 15th......EEK!!!

So its almost here, the bit i have been dreading. I am starting 6 rounds of FEC-T on the 15th January and to say that I am nervous is a big understatement. I would love to hear from any ladies out there who are starting treatment at the same time as well as ladies who have already been through it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I also suffer with anxiety and panic attacks so feel like a great big baby

And also is it just me or does the phrase “Stay positive” get on your wicks too?

Yes it bloody well does!

As does “you are a brave/strong/beautiful inside and out woman” But then I think "what would I rather they say? What would I say if I were them? And I can’t think of anything that doesn’t contain expletives actually.

My sister in law is a few weeks ahead of me, with the same condition. I found a card in the “get well” section of a card shop: The front had a hippo holding some balloons and “what terrible news” in quite tiny writing. Inside it simply said “cancer f**king well sucks!”.

It actually made me giggle in quite an unseemly manner right there in the store, so I bought it and sent it to her! :slight_smile:
There is a thread existing for all of us starting chemo in January, now calling ourselves the January Jems. Do join us, if you haven’t already!

hi
how do i join the january jems???
jenny x

Welcome to the forums Lolly, I think we know each other from another social media!! I would recommend join the January Jems thread. I was an April bunny & met some wonderful women who supported each other through chemo & afterwards. We shared our experiences good & bad and laughed a lot, it is worth a read of the thread as at times it is hilarious as well as containing lots of tips.

I am out the other end of treatment but this forum & the bunnies was & continues to be a lifeline!!!

Stay positive has always got on my nerves, especially combined with a sympathetic head tilt!!!

Take care once.
S x

Hello ladies. Thank you for your replies, I shall head over to the January Jems and meet you all there. Jenny5931 I think you just post on the January Jems thread which is under the chemotherapy heading.
I am so glad that the positive thing isnt just me then!!!

i have messaged you laura x

I hate the “stay positive” thing too. (It implies we have control of, and responsibility for, the outcome.) You don’t need to be positive, or brave, all the time. It’s normal to feel scared. This is a scary thing you’re going through. And it’s not a journey either. I guess people don’t know what to say, so they trot out all the tired old cliches.

I was incredibly scared starting chemo. My first FEC was much worse than the second one - probably due to fear. It’s not pleasant, but it almost certainly won’t be as bad as you think it will. Don’t assume you will get all of the side effects. You will get some, but everyone has different ones - and on my chemo thread most people seem to think their own SEs are more tolerable than the ones everyone else has. Hope that makes sense.

Don’t worry about the chemo staff knowing you are frightened either. It’s not uncommon, and they will have seen it all before. I’m sure those of us who are scared are in the majority. (When I found out I had a problem with my lymph nodes, I actually went into shock and they needed to put me on a drip for well over an hour. I had to go back the next day so they could finish the biopsies, and was responsible for the clinic having to delay its appointments even more than they already were. Still feel bad about all the poor ladies who had to wait because I was such a wimp.)

You will be ok, Lolly. Although it’s difficult to imagine, you will get through this and come out the other side. This time next year, your chemo will be a distant memory and you may even have forgotten parts of it.

I had 3 FEC. Next Monday, I have Tax 4, which will be my very last chemo session. It wasn’t easy, but it’s doable - as everyone will tell you. Once you get through the chemo, you should find the rads are much easier to cope with. For most people, they’re a walk in the park compared to the treatment they have already had.

Hello Lolly King,

I am starting FEC-T on the same day as you - see you in the ‘January Jems’!

Kind regards,
Christine

Hiya Lolly King, I am a year and a half down the line from my FEC and found it ‘doable’ I lost my hair within 7 days of my first one and coped with the horrible feeling in my mouth for the first few days after each session by eating pinapple and ginger stem biscuits( not at the same time!!!) Being well hydrayted and warm seemed to make the sessions easier and I also had a heated arm cover which helped. My hair started coming back around six weeks after my last one. Good luck and best wishes xx

Thank you so much for your replies they really do help to calm things down for a while. Its so nice to have people truly understanding what its like. I look forward to getting to know some of you better over the next few months xx

I had FEC-T 4x4 in 2006/7
It was hard but definitely worth it.
Advice-wear dark nail polish all the time to try to protect your nails ; suck ice lollies or drink iced water while chemo is being given [I took fruit juice lollies in a wide necked flask].
Listen to your body-you will feel very very weary at times-rest when that happens.
Your taste buds go funny-eat and drink what you fancy-lime juice and sparkling water are good and black tea may be more palatable than white.
You may well lose your hair [not only on your head] but it will come back-honestly.

Not started chemo yet, but seeing oncologist tomorrow (10/1/2013) so might find out. How long does it usually take between appointment and chemo starting?
I too hate the ‘keep positive’ thingy, another one is ‘keep your chin up’!!
Good luck all you January Jems. Don’t know if I will be joining the team, wonder what February group will be called?!?
Horace and Milo, thank you for the tips.

Hello all! I had FEC T with Avastin last year. You can do it! It’s not always easy, or pleasant, but it is doable. Hang on in there.

I also dislike this “you will be fine because you are so positive” claptrap. My answer was always “I’m not positive, I’m p*ss*d off!”

Hi there my mum is starting FEC-T on Friday 18th January, following a recent mastectomy. Histology showed she had a 10+ cm tumour and 2 positive lymph nodes, so now needs chemo & radiotheraphy. Mums not too clever on the computer, but I’d like to maybe compare experiences along the way if you would like? I’m 41 and my mums a young and normally fit & healthy 64 yr old. She does however have the added complication of having no spleen, which is a worry infection wise, but hopefully these next 6 months & treatment will go well & both of you will be in a much healthier position than now :0)

HI i started FEC x 6 yesterday. I feel ok today, not hungry and bit nauseated but feel lucky at the moment that I’m not feeling any worse. Was scared to death starting it all, I used the cold cap which was just dreadful for the first 20 mins then I must have got numb. I did get very cold, so wrapped up in blankets and the very kind staff gave me hot packs to which were lovely to cuddleIn hope you are all finding it bearable xx

Lolly_King - hope your first session went well and that you are feeling okay, thinking of you x

Thanks all for your comments. Sadly for me I’ve had an infection so my chemo has been delayed twice now. Hopefully I’ll be good to go on Monday! Xx

I started on 15th as well x

Hi Jenny, Rosieandjim, Susan8574 and Redjen,

I noticed that you are all posting in a thread from January 2013.  There is a thread for women starting chemo Jan 2015 here:

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy-monthly-threads/January-Gemstones-2015-January-starters-not-on-Facebook/td-p/915347

Sadly, but helpfully, there are quite a few of also starting in Jan, my first was Jan 16th, my next FEC is on 10th Feb.  It is very useful to compare side effects and get/give emotional support to women going through the same thing.

Wishing you well and see you in the January Gemstones 2015 thread soon!

Big hugs.

Love Su

XX