1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Rads in March -please join in!

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Starting Rads in March -please join in!

Hello

Gillyflower this is the voice from the Arctic i.e. Scotland calling. Yes we do have Spring and had a few lovely days so far. Not so sunny today as there is a fair amount of cloud cover at present here. Well saying that the sun is trying to come through.
How lucky that you are able to go riding this afternoon. I have been told by my kids if I even go near the horse yet I am going to have a war on my hands. To be honest I could not do it at the moment never mind how much I would love to. Trying even to get on it would give a rather credible impression of a total numpty.
Hoping to start rads in a couple of weeks as my darn wound is doing rather well now.
Mary hope you are doing okay so far

Love and hugs from

Alanaa and Fat Cat xxx

modurham

Good luck Gillyflower. Just take the horse riding gently and I will sure you will love it. It will clear your head, especially if it is a nice day. I am going t have a shoe shop after this morning's appointment to cheer me up. suppose to be a nice day here after the clouds lift. Love to all Mo

Guest user
Not applicable

hi everyone, had my planning appointment and scan yesterday, start next monday for real, at this rate i'll be one of the last to start, not that it's a race! No tatoos yet, i get them at the first session apparently.
Modurham, i was lucky like you, i was seen straight away despite being early, same for the scan, it's not much but it makes a huge difference not having to sit there thinking, that's where i feel at my weakest. I am doing something a bit mad later, i'm going to try to go riding, i haven't been for a month and miss it so much. I shan't be manhandling the tack etc and won't be moving fast, but just a gentle walk around would be brilliant, if ill advised! I want to go before the rads appointments start as i've been told they will all be afternoons, and that's when i go riding usually. I know it's probably not a good idea seeing as i'm feeling so sore still, but i need to do something not connected with cancer, and i've run out of shoe shopping money! Better go and get dressed now, i'm gradually sliding into very bad habits, the poor dogs are looking at me desperately. Have a lovely day, spring has sprung here and has cheered me up immensely, hope it's the same for all of you wherever you are. Do they have spring in Scotland???

Guest user
Not applicable

Hiya,

I am on countdown now !!! Starting rads on Wednesday really need to get on with it now the sleepless nights are driving me mad !!!!!

Hope everybody is Ok or as well as can be expected- its nice to come on here to see other women going through the same thing although none of us want to be here... its a great support.

Thank you all.

xx

modurham

Had bone density scan today because of letrozole. Apparently can cause osteoporosis so will await that one with interest. Probably another tablet to take.
I have to say I can't fault the appointment system. They saw me promptly and then I went for rads. There should have been an hour delay between the two appointments but rads saw me within 20 minutes. Treatment going ok so far, have a review tomorrow. My understanding is that it is towards the end that you have the problems. I cannot believe that I used to worry that the dentist was "over" x-raying me when I think what has gone into my body now. Only trust that it is all for the best. Hope everyone else is coping all right. Mo x

Moya

This is a quiet thread! Is everyone finding their rads are going ok? I had my planning session today - waited over an hour to see the onc who said she wasn't sure that my skin would hold up (wounds only closed up last week after re-opening during infection) but to start and we will see. Not full of confidence right now! Anyway, scan and tattoos done and all ready to go on 23rd.

Moya xx

Guest user
Not applicable

HELLO TO YOU ALL

Mary how are you getting on with your rads so far? I have app on the 27th with Onc to start the ball rolling. My wound is doing really well and I am hopefull that nothing else will crop up. Just wish it was all over and done with.

Hug to all of you from

Alanaa and Fat Cat xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Went to Montauban today for rads number 3.
Was not my usual 'girls' but two strapping young men ..I found it a bit weird ....dont know why ...

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello All

LTF -sorry about your friend. I and on Letrozole andbecause one of its side effects can be osteoporosis I am also taking calcium tablets.I have got an appointment for a DEXA scan (bone scan) next month. I have been sent a medical questionnaire to complete and take to my appointment.

Have had 7 rads - 8 to go.

Best wishes to all

A

Lulu34

Gillyflowers iv been on tamox off and on since 2006 and not had any real problems with it since first started it

LTL sorry to hear about your friend.... Isnt it a sad state when we are actually pleased to have osteoporosis!

Angeljo I almost wish I'd had a break after chemo as mine was just three weeks after and been really tired all week... Wish I'd got back on my feet a bit before hand.

Anyway I'm one week down and three weeks to go.

Lulu

angeljo

Hi
I start Radio tues 13th march should of been wed just gone . Been a bit messed about with when I start radio so annoying just want to get on with my life. Finished chemo 8 wks ago now got to 18 sessions of radio . Hoping to go away just have to see how i feel after radio got to be careful in the sun and no swimming for about 4wks after .

Guest user
Not applicable

Well, Tuesday I had my scan, my tattoos, given my appointments for three weeks rads starting 26th March and my final dose of chemo. All done and dusted and on the way home(with my bucket) by 12.00 noon! Feeling a bit overwhelmed with it all at the moment especially as I'd been summoned to my breast clinic on Monday morning after I'd telephoned on friday to ask for exercise advice as I've been getting increasingly bad shoulder and neck pain on the side I had my mastectomy. Thought it was nothing but my goodness they were thorough, saw the doctor, full examination, series of x rays and got increasingly worried during the morning that they were thinking it was more cancer. Result - looks like I have degenerative osteoporosis, so off soon for a bone density scan.Almost skipped out of the hospital, never thought I'd be so chuffed with receiving that one, but I am! Brought back down to earth with a horrible bump yesterday when my very good friend, diagnosed just a couple of months after me, rang on the way back from her onc appointment to tell me they've told her she has mets in both lungs now as well as bones. It's so b.....y unfair.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ermintrude, nice to see you in a better frame of mind, it seems to me that everyone has a "meltdown" moment at some time during this experience, and they seem to creep up on you when you least expect them. I see you've already got the Tamoxifen, I've got to wait until the end of rads for mine (not that i'm complaining!) I've heard so much, mainly bad, things about it that i'm not looking forward to it at all, but i'm sure it's because we never hear of all the women who take it without any SE at all. Oh well, I'll cross that bridge....I've got a bit of a habit of getting ahead of myself, i should learn to live in the moment, i'd probably be a lot happier. Have a good day, love G

Guest user
Not applicable

Hiya all,

Cheered up a bit from my last posting sort of !!! Just got so down in the dumps oh well !

Anyway yes I am at St Thomas's on the Thames so the view is good but the train journey is a mare - went for planning last week at 4pm didnt get home until 8pm ! Trying to keep alid on the tears but I also think the Tamoxifen is kicking in now !

I hope everybody gets on well with the meetings and zappings ! Now my laptops back up and runnig I will be back everyday with an honest hard hitting update !!!!!!

Love to all

xxxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

I think that's what i'm most not looking forward to - the travelling, even if i'm only less than half an hour away! At least i get wednesdays and weekends off. Oh well, mustn't grumble, i'll just be glad to get going. Bonne soirée, G

Guest user
Not applicable

First rads today ...took 30 minutes ...they have given me another tatoo.Same time tomorrow 3.40 which means the whole afternoon taken up ...1 hour to get there..1 hour to get back. Young girl (could be a daughter) who is my radiotherapist says it will be shorter tomorrow...at most 20 mins.
Hey Ho!

Mary M

Lulu34

I started my rads on Monday and all going fine so far.... They are much shorter zaps I'm getting this time around.... But hopefully they wil do the job.

Lulu x

Moya

Hope it's going well for all those who have started rads. My planning is on Monday too, Gillyflower. Have heard drinking lots of water helps. I don't know why, but easy enough to try.

Moya xx

Guest user
Not applicable

It's all gone quiet! Hope everyone is ok, I've not got much to say as i'm waiting for monday to go for my planning session and scan. Had an obligatory meeting with the french version of the BCN, total waste of time, she kept telling me that if i put on weight i should contact the dietician, but apart from that it was all what i call psycohbabble about the effect cancer is having on me and my family. Didn't get that 5 years ago with OH and certainly don't need it now, or if i do i know who to contact. Any time i asked for practical help she just said, oh you'll have to speak to your doc, your surgeon etc, so, as i said, waste of an hour. Anyway, that's my rant over for today, think I'll take the dogs out for a walk as for once the sun is shining! Love to all, Gill

modurham

Hello everyone. First rads session today, only 14 more to go. Been quite apprehensive about it but now in the system trying to let it wash over me. What will be will be. I am attending the Freeman CC, Newcastle upon Tyne. Been told to use E45 twice a day and use simple soap for washing. As I have very dry skin anyway will probably just wash with water only. I had noted that a lot of people recommend Aloe Vera to use as well so need to check that out with the team. I understand it has to be 99% and Holland and Barret are recommended. Times are a bit all over the shop this week, some am and some late afternoon but after that they settle down. Good luck to everyone out there.

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening all, i'm originally from Shropshire but ended up at Eurodisney, it would take forever to tell you why..saw the onc today, seemed ok but rushed. Not in favour of cream of any sort but then said i had "english" skin and would probably burn, so i'm getting out the aloe vera whatever she says! I shall be getting zapped until mid may, which seems a long way from here, but i'll get there, as will we all. Got prescribed Ixprim for my pain, but can't take it during the day as it makes me feel faint. A shame, because it works pretty well. The doc was surprised i was still suffering but confirmed it is nerves and quite common. Sleep well everybody, Gill

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Mary M

Greetings from the Arctic. Just wondered if you come home from time to time or do you stay in France all year round?

The January Surgery Buddies are planning a meeting around July this year, so the logisticst will be interesting to say the least as wee are all over the country.

Hope all of you March Ladies are doing okay

Hugs from Alanaa and her Fat Cat xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Dear everyone
I know we dont have to, and some of us don't want to, but I find it really interesting to know where everyone is....I'm in South West France which means my experience is going to be different to someone like Alanaa who I know is in the Arctic ...sorry Scotland....MargaretMay appears to be in Devon and Gillyflower is just outside Paris ...
Ermintrude goes to St.Thomas's which could be the one on the Thames but might not be.....

still waiting for Thursday

Mary M
PS welcome to audreytoo

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi and welcome. I've heard about drinking water, another question for my little book of questions for tomorrow! I've had a good weekend, my boob is a little bit better every day but i underestimated how long it would take. The problem is that at first you are so pumped up with painkillers etc that everything is numb, it took me a week before i could feel anything. Hope you are all fine and looking forward to next week, wherever you are on the journey,

Gill

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello All

I had my first rads on 1st March and am having 15 treatments. I have also started taking Letrozole and calcium tablets and will be taking both for 5 years. I have had lumpectomy, axillary clearance and chemo.

I have been told I can use E45 cream twice a day. I have also been told to drink 2 litres of water a day.

I also have a physio appointment booked in.

Good wishes to you all.

A xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Moya, for that you would have to have a BCN, here in France they haven't been invented yet! Some big hospitals have them apparently but not where I am. Patient empowerment is not something the french have embraced yet, so when they get a bolshie one like me they don't always appreciate it!

Margaret_May

Ermintrude, I really feel for you and hope you are feeling better today. It is such an emotional road to travel this breast cancer thing and sometimes the reality doesn't seem to kick in for ages. Life for me was just going on normally before Christmas and then suddenly I'm in hosiptal having biopsies, waiting for results and then mastectomy and nodes, and January and Febraury are a blur of stuff and decions and yuckiness!!. I hope you can talk to people about how you feel. For me the best thing has been phoning the helpline on here. They are wonderful and really listen and understand. I've done that twice . MY husband has been amazing but sometimes we really need to off loaf with someone who can really emapthise. Both times phoning them has taken out that terror that can be so debilitating. Lots of hugs and support
Maggie May

Moya

Consultants usually send a copy of any letters they send to the GP to the patient too. If this isn't happening, just ask at your next appointment or phone your BCN. I've also asked for copies of path reports, CT/scan reports etc and there has never been a problem getting them.

Moya xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Gill
Is it a french thing? My hospital doctors have never handed any paperwork over concerning my diagnosis/treatment but my GP was quite happy to photocopy what he had been given -

Mary M

Guest user
Not applicable

I remember when my OH had rads it was the same story, he got his appointments on the friday for the following week, and then spent ages changing them as they always seemed to be the opposite of what he had asked for (he worked at the same time). You start to think they do it on purpose! I think it's more of an indifference to individual cases, they have so many, but we obviously see ourselves as special, and so we should. You are quite right to moan when you're not happy, I always do. I asked to see my file the other day and i thought the surgeon was going to have a heart attack! He told me to request in writing, which I have, but in the meantime my GP has made me a copy. There's nothing special in it but i consider that i have the right to read what is said about my case. I will get some dates tomorrow, let's hope they're ok. I'm lucky, only 20 mins easy drive to the clinic, and have made the choice not to work at the same time. Not sure if that's the right decision as the schools go back tomorrow and i'm feeling pretty fed up that i won't be there, but i just couldn't get my head round the organisation that would require. If i sail throuugh the rads and my boob stops hurting i might, just might be able to get back on a horse, but i think i'm being optimistic there. It's funny, 2 weeks ago my worst fear was chemo, now i'm worrying about rads, perhaps i should put all this into perspective. I've been very very lucky, but i still manage to find something to rant about - human nature i suppose. Anyway, have a peaceful sunday, love and positive thoughts to all, Gill

bgboo

MMay
They gave me 8am appointments first and I told them there was no way I could get there as I would have to leave home at 6am because of the traffic so they changed them to 5pm. I just shook my head and walked out. My OH thinks I'm over-reacting but I can't help thinking they just don't care. On one of the days I have herceptin at the same hospital at 10am which will take 2 hours. I told them the date so they give me 5pm for the rads, where's the logic in that.
(sorry I'm still moaning and having a bad time)
Boo x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello everybody !

I had my planning meeting yesterday at St Thomas's. I start my rads on 12 March and finish 18 April - every appointment is around 5pm so I can continue to work. I burst into floods of tears as I walked into the department with hubby and felt a right fool - going somewhere like that makes it real - if you know what I mean - the lovely nurse said she thinks I have been in denial and I have to agree with her. I am a complete mess now - I dont want to work I dont want to go out I just want to sit on the sofa all day or stay in bed - I know I am going to be fine at the end of all this I have been very lucky when I read the forums on here but I feel like I am in a little bubble and its all a horrid dream. Sorry I am moaning - I just feel like rubbish.

x

Margaret_May

Golly Mary M and Boo, you have a really long way to go for your rads. Boo am not suprised you're unhappy with a 5pm slot with traffic etc. I'm really lucky then, Exeter is 13 miles down the Exe valley, so very close and a lovely ride down. Was doing some research on here into good creams for Rads and found Emu cream!and X something specifically for post radiation but in USA and only on prescription here. Lulu, you've been though all this before, wish you all the best for this round of rads.

Feeling better today but am now a bit wary of when the emotional thing may hit, Seems to have been since starting Arimidex a week ago, oh well onwards and upwards.
Hugs to all XXXXXX

Guest user
Not applicable

hello Lulu34
'nice' to have you here too ...I have read lots of your posts in other threads and will appreciate your knowledge ....best of luck for this time round...
Boo
I have a long journey too but 'luckily' I don't drive so My OH is taking me backwards and forwards it's a 84 Km drive - about an hour -20 mins to the motorway then straight there ...but its a beautiful drive.and allegedly we can recoup our petrol and tolls.

Mary M

Lulu34

Hi ladies I'm starting rads on the 5th.... This will be my third lot of rads.... They will be to the chest wall having had them previously to my left breast 2 years ago and the right breast 5 1/2 yrs ago...... I'll be getting 20'this tim and had 25 each previously..... So will be glowing like the ready brek kid by the time iv finished.

I haven't had tattoos done this time as they weren't sure if I would be getting rads or not so nt sure if il just need to wander around with pen marks on my chest.

Iv still got my Hickman line in since chemo but im getting it out on tues and will be restarting tamoxifen.... Iv been on it for around 4 years so still have another years worth to take.

The hosp isnt too far just a 30min drive it just gets tiring driving there and back for a 10 minute appt.

Mary I'm being referred for physio as iv developed cording, although since I asked for the referral my arm is a little more swollen so not sure if it's the start of LO too.

Take care
Lulu xx

bgboo

Hi Ladies
I had my Rads planning today, I start 13th March and finish 10th April. Not really looking forward to it as its 30 miles away in a busy town and most of the appointments are around 5 pm so will get caught up in the rush hour traffic. 60 miles round trip everyday for 4 weeks is doing my head. (sorry for the moan, I'm having a bad day)
Boo x

Guest user
Not applicable

welcome maggie may
...nice to see another january lady on here ..if 'nice' is the right word - but you know what I mean.
just waiting now for next week ..dont know what hormone stuff i'll be taking yet and am not going to ask...will know soon enough!
has anybody had any physiotherapy for their arm yet? (assuming some of you have had axillary clearance)
I can go to a physio (havent found one yet) but would appereciate knowing what they do.....massage....exercises?

Mary M

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh Maggie May, how i recognise that feeling! Everything going fine, everybody saying how well you're coping and then out of nowhere, floods of tears. It happened to me in front of a class of 10 year olds, I told them my cat had died because where do you begin to explain what's really going on? Now i've left they have been told i'm "ill" but will be back and they didn't bat an eyelid, they've probably forgotten my name already!(i only taught them 1 hour a week). Mary and I are in France, which explains the glamorous sounding soap and oil, but i don't suppose it's any better than anything else. I have bought a cream called Theta which is supposed to be brilliant (should be for the price). After last night I'm drugging myself up tonight, I can cope with anything life throws at me except lack of sleep. Love to all, Gill

Margaret_May

Hi there. Originally on January surgery thread, then March chemo but have decided aginst chemo so am now on arimidex and starting radiotherapy on the 19th March for 15 days ending on Good Friday. Good to join in with you. I love the sound of the savon de Marseille and the Almond Oil and soap, sound very glamorous compared to my bottle of Aqueaous Cream! Oncs all seem to have differnet ideas,I'm not to use anything else but see that everyone else has all sorts of creams they can use. Confusing!
Have been coping really well with all this horridness, but today happened to be somewhere with lots of people and suddenly had to "escape". It was actually a Church so it was very embarrasing to skiddadle out, but was so emotional.It was out of the blue and I cried all the way home!!! Well I'm OK now safely back home but felt very vulnerable and overwhelmed. Anyway it's good to join you and to be able to share the journey.
Good luck to all,

Maggie May XX

Moya

Hi everyone

Saw the clinical onc today - scary lady! - and am having my planning session on the 12th March with rads starting on the 23rd. Was surprised to be asked to sign a consent form that said she had explained all the risks and benefits when she hadn't said a word! I asked whether it was OK to take supplements (Vit D3, Vit C and beta carotene) and she didn't seem to care either way.

I am feeling more positive now that treatment is finally moving on. I had a massive infection a month after my surgery which put me back in hospital for a week and the wounds reopened and have still not quite healed five weeks later.

Thanks Firecracker for your advice on creams. Onc said use E45 but I might get some Radiance to try.

Moya xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi again, I'm having a mainly sleepless night , thanks to OH snoring:(
Came downstairs to sleep and was joined by the dog, who snores even more but i can't get cross with her, she's got a squashed nose, which my husband hasn't! So it's 5 in the morning and i'm waiting for the alarm to go off so i can get back into bed, thank god i don't have to go to work! Mary, glad to hear things are moving, the 12th of april doesn't seem that far away - i'm looking at the beginning of May, i wonder why i have got so much more than you? I'm feeling a bit down at the moment, daunted by the prospect of 6 weeks of my life dominated by appointments every day, but i know it is only 6 weeks which is not a lot on the scale of things. OH isn't being much help, he had 5 weeks of rads for his colon cancer plus 3 sessions of chemo at the same time, and kept working, so i know he thinks i'm a bit of a wimp, but he had the operation afterwards.He hasn't said anything so maybe i'm imagining it.Seeing as i need something else to worry about, I am not looking forward to hormone treatment; i've been told it will be Tamoxefen for the first 2 years then something else. The SE seem pretty bad, but then again people only post on forums if they've got them, we probably don't hear from all those who are fine.Well i'll stop moaning now and try and get some sleep. Love to all, Gill
ps My son is a Tom too!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Good evening
Gillyflower
Modurham
Rexi
bgboo
Moya
Ermintrude
Ladythatlunches
And now welcome to
Alanaa (never spell that right...and of course you are not an impostor...just a little delayed)
BerthaB
Tomsmam (I have a son called Tom too.)
I havent missed anyone have I?
I had my planning session today ...took about 20 minutes ...got 4 tattoos i think....proper stuff starts next Thursday so should be finished by 12 April! France doesnt close for Good Friday so only miss one day over the easter long weekend.
I have been advised to wash in Savon de Marseille and only use Almond Oil on my breast after the rads. Nothing else. But thats France for you.
Luckily the supermarket sells both cheaply.
So good luck to everyone ......
Hugs

Mary M

Guest user
Not applicable

hi to everyone, this thread is growing slowly but surely! I too would like to know about cream application, so i've written it down in my little book of questions to ask the radiotherapist who i'm seeing on monday. Otherwise i'm just hanging around doing not much but feeling that i should be as i may not feel like it when i got started on the rads. I'm really bothered by the hypersensitivity of my nipple, i hope the doc has got a solution because just the thought of anyone manipulating what's left of my breast for radiotherapy is pretty awful. I know it's not important on the scale of what could go wrong, everything is healing well, but it's really getting me down and stopping me from sleeping. Anyonr actually started yet, or are we all just waiting - again...

Tomsmam

Hi all
Finished chemo 3 weeks ago today. Had planning meeting last Friday. Start rads 12 March for 3 weeks

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Ladies

Mary I am not sure if I will manage to start at the end of this month depending on the wound, but might just stay with the March Ladies since I know some of you from the Jan thread. Hope that does not make me an imposter.

Love Alanaa and Fat Cat

BerthaB

Hello All ,

Had my planning appointment yesterday .
Start on the 8th March..
Add me to your Rads in march list please.

Do I need to start applying cream before the first appointment has anyone been advised to do this ?

Hugs,
BerthaB
P.S. Hi Rexi my Chemo buddy glad to see you are about to start !

Moya

Initial meeting on Friday - alarmingly close! I should be pleased to finally be getting on with treatment but I do so prefer to have my head in the sand.

Moya x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hiya,

Well I have my planning meeting on Friday and it looks like I am starting 14th Mrch 20 zaps for me !!! Ermintrude made me think of udders get it !!!!!!! Anyways I am officially with you lot which I am happy about but I am also very very scared - I will try to work full time until all my goodness has been zapped out of me ! I will keep you all posted .

Take care xx

Guest user
Not applicable

It's a Boston Terrier, the (2nd) love of my life, her name is Bonny. I'm sure there are more march rads candidates out there, or else someone has found a cure for cancer and not told us!

Guest user
Not applicable

Right
Who are we so far?
Moi
Gillyflower (lovely butterfly dog)
Modurham
Rexi (A 3 hour round trip...I thought mine was bad enough - it was 4 hours when i went to Toulouse for all my initial stuff and the surgery but I've been able to organise rads in Montauban which is only a 2 hour round trip ...where are you?)
bgboo
Moya
Ermintrude (moo!)
Ladythatlunches (nice avatar)

hugs to all

Mary M (because other Marys are available)