1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Rads in March -please join in!

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Starting Rads in March -please join in!

Moya, that's exactly it, like running out of batteries! The only sleep I get is drug induced but it's better than nothing! Thanks to you all I've cheered up now, got a tough week ahead, my daughter is working so can't come with me to rads, she makes it all so much easier, my OH is away all week so I'm going to feel pretty much on my own. I wish they'd let the dog come in with me! New tactic to combat fatigue - do absolutely nothing all day - I'm trying it out today and so far it seems to be working, although the dog is staring at me meaningfully and may need exercising, another run round the garden just won't do. When I say nothing I mean nothing, don't get dressed, eat bananas and chocolate, and watch endless episodes of Grays Anatomy (other series are available). The problem is doing that every day, nice idea but not going to happen! Anyway, using up energy typing so off for a sleep to recuperate...

Hug for everyone, Gill

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I finished rads on Wednesday - strange I balled my eyes out with the mcmillan nurse as she was dressing my walnut whip ! Feel a bit lost to be honest although I am also so happy that it is over ! Yes I feel like having a rant a woman said to me the other day at least you have your hair !!!! I would shave my head everyday of the week rather than go through this !!! I am obviuosly not a member of the big girls cancer club ! Sorry but just because I have hair does it make it any better !!!!

Anyway - I have these sortof oily dressings on my nipple and one underneath - with a boob tube made out of nickers with the gusset cut out to keep it all in place - very fetching !!!!!

All is going well but the tiredness is strange fine one minute then just want to drop on the spot !!!!!

Good luck to everybody else who is still being zapped - please all keep posting everybody makes me smile on here !

xx

Moya

Hi Gill. I am finding it tough too with sore skin and very tired, not sleepy but like my batteries have been removed. We'll get there, though. Enjoy the weekend.

Moya xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Well done Mary, I wish I was there but I've got another month to go! Feeeling so tired, especially in the evening. I'm beginning to understand why I was advised to stop work. I have never experienced tiredness like this, am I being a wimp or is anyone else feeling it too? I'm also having bad pain in the shoulder and arm, but I alread had problems there and the radiotherapy position hasn't helped. Starting physio on monday so I hope that helps. Sorry about the moaning,but I'm pretty fed up at the moment, but I will strangle the next person who tells me I should be grateful because I didn't need chemo! I think there is already a thread about stupid things people say to you when you have cancer,maybe I'll pop over there and have a rant. Anyway, thanks for listening and congrats to all who have finished, we all get there in the end. Gillxx

Moya

Well done, Mary! And good luck, Alanaa! I have two to go. My skin has held up better than I thought but have a blistered patch developing. Fingers crossed.

Moya xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Greetings from Scotland to you Mary

I am so glad you have finished the rads by now. I had my pre-rads app today and all went fine. Starting on the 19th and can't wait to get it over and done with.
I have been on Femara for 7 weeks now and have had no side effects so far so fingers crossed you will be fine too.

Enjoy your relative peace from hospital for a bit.

Love from Alanaa and Fat Cat xx

P.S. We are expecting snow over the weekend and it is darn cold getting.

Guest user
Not applicable

I FINISHED RADS TODAY!

However I was seen in the 'other' rads room and not my usual team so I wasnt able to say thanks properly. I didnt take a gift because I dont think they would be able to take it ....not certain of the right mores in France.
I received my prescription for Femara which I will start to take tomorrow.....ooh scarey...worried about the side effects!
Am burnt on collar bone and under my breast so my onc has prescribed this red stuff for painting on! Its the kind of thing you put on babys bums for nappy rash!
Onc wants to see me again in 6 weeks ...surgeon in less than 6 months ....

Now how am I going to stay in touch with everyone? Anyone else going on Femara around now?

Happy and anxious.

Mary M

kit20

woohoo! halfway through only 10 more to go. The nurses on the unit are lovely but I will be so glad to give them a goodbye gift!

Moya

Hi Mary M

How many more sessions to go for you? Bought some sweet almond oil which I will use after rads (3 left for me) as it sounds much nicer and more natural than aqueous cream. Good luck to your daughter running the marathon.

Hope all the March rads ladies are doing well and nearly finished their treatment.

Moya xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Glad you had a wonderful holiday Mo.....I've got two weeks in England to look forward to going on the 20th ...will watch my littlest daughter running the London Marathon - she's fund raising for BCC so if anyone wants to sponsor her let me know.Then I will go to Somerset to see my sister and then back to London to spend time taking my granddaughter to school and picking her up afterwards like a proper grandma instead of one who has b*******d off to the south of france!
Interesting about the side effects going on for weeks afterwards ...will have to watch out for that!
Back to rads again tomorrow .....
Mary M

modurham

Thanks Moya that was helpful. I am finding that my skin seems to be quite itchy and under my arm had become quite sore. I thought it was all over by two weeks but if it peaks that will explain why it is still carrying on. I was expecting it to improve daily. Just for information I had a lovely holiday in Lanzarote with all the family and found I managed well, staying up until 11 pm. A couple of times I sneaked an hour or two rest in the afternoon to keep me going. Bit of a pain covering up my breast, it is surprising how few tops were high enough and loose enough, so had a limited wardrobe - but that is the least of my worries with what we have all gone through. I have found since I have returned I went really tired and so had a lie in on Sunday morning. Probably because I am not being waited on ... Happy Easter everyone. Mo x

Moya

Have so enjoyed having four days off - my skin is not as hot as it was last week but am very swollen and some areas (inside) are quite sore. The doc I saw on Thursday said effects peak 2 weeks after rads finish but carry on for four. Is this what people are finding?

Moya xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Glad its not just me with the collarbone ...beginning to think I was weird!
They must have zapped me there cos there are lymph nodes under the collar bone somewhere I think -
Mary M

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everybody,

Well only two more trips to go to London !!! I was also zapped on Friday a booster with a weird metal thingy !

Skin breaking down now but alls well just so so tired but glad when all over - hope everybody else is OK.

xxx

Moya

Well done, Sharon - glad you've got through it. I think a lot of us get sore shoulders from the uncomfortable position we are in for treatment. I was told to keep doing the post-op exercises to try to keep it moving.

Hello Mary and Gillyflower - hope it's going well for you both.

Moya xx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi girls
well i finished 25 rt on wed , am so glad , like urself i also have a bad patch on my collarbone and its sore , ive only just been allowed to put cream on and my poor breast is sore and under arm , but so glad all done i can now try and help it heel
good luck all
xx. sharon

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Mary, me too, no Good Friday for us! Making up for missed monday on wednesday which I'm glad about. There are so many bank holidays coming up in may which fall on a tuesday that if they couldn't be caught up on the wednesday would add at least a week to the treatment. I have just re-read that and am not completely sure that it makes any sense to anyone but me(and maybe you!) Just finished week 2 (8 rads). I haven't asked if I'm having any of the extra strong variety, but I don't think so seeing how many sessions I've got. My boob is stinging, but I also get pains in the other one, which are purely in my head. Bought myself some lovely chocolate (with OH's credit card)so looking forward to pigging out on Sunday. Have a lovely,if chilly, weekend. Gillxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Well I had rads today because we dont have a national holiday here -its just an ordinary day - so I had session No 22 (of 25)- the last 5 are booster ones - where they put on this extra death ray thing and zap where the tumour was.
We do have a 'jour ferie' on Monday so next session is on tuesday.
So longish weekend.
Have a sore place right on my collar bone - am sure they are not zapping me there!

Mary M

Moya

Hi all

10 out of 15 sessions done - amazing how quickly it does go once you start. I saw the rads doc today and asked about tamoxifen (started at beginning of March) and he said I might want to stop until a month after rads?!

Enjoy the long weekend, pity the sunshine has disappeared.

Moya xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

I have been on tamoxfen since before the rads but I do think it varies area to area.

I had a meeting with dressings nurse today as my skin is really quite bad now - I have done 15 rads with 5 boosters to go starting tomorrow. I now have steroid cream to rub in so hopefully that will help.

I have also broached the subject of stopping Tamoxifen due to the hot flushes but she has suggested some tablets to take alongside to help and see how it all goes.

Hope you are all Ok.

Hugs to all xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Happy easter to everyone - I only get 3 days break from rads - they dont do Good Friday as a holiday here but they do easter monday.

Lady that lunches - I havent started on hormone therapy yet either - I'm due to have femara i think but wont get it til after rads -

Mary M

Moya

Hi Audrey

Sorry to hear you are having such trouble with your skin. I hope it gets better soon. I have heard that calendula in olive oil is very good at healing but you should check it out at the hospital before trying it.

Hope Easter is a good break for everyone. I am looking forward to 4 days off rads!

Moya xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Ihaven't posted for a while. Hope everyone is doing ok.

I finished rads two weeks ago tomorrow. My skin is really suffering though. I have been given silicon dressings to put under my breast to keep the skin from touching. My skin under the breast is now peeling and looks red raw, it is also weeping. I was told by the BCN to lie on the bed and get some air to it for an hour during the day. I have been doing this. I also rang the radiotherapy nurse and I was told it is all normal to expect this. But if it is still sore and weeping next week to give them a ring. I have also had to take paracetemol at times for the itching and twinges that I have been having. I was told to use E45 cream every where else on my breast but not where the breast is covered by the dressing.

I started taking letrozole when I started rads. Also taking calcium tablets as one of the side effects from letrozole can be osteoporosis. Going to the hospital today for a bone density scan and have had to fill in an osteoporosis questionnaire to take with me.

Well done to Lulu for finishing rads and to anyone else that has finished. Haven't had time to read back all the posts.

Good luck to all

Have a Good Easter

A xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, I haven't started iether, on 6th of 30 rads and been told i will start after. This si to avoid any SE from hormones adding to the effects of rads. Don't worry about it, no one else seems to!

Moya

Hi Ladythatlunches

I think hospitals vary on whether you start tamoxifen before or after rads, but if you are worried, keep pushing. Maybe your BCN can help? My onc wrote a letter to my GP who does the prescriptions.

Good luck with the rest of your rads - we are about the same stage, my 7th today.

Moya xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi there folks. I've had 6 rads so far but also had a review with a radiotherapist last Tuesday even though I'd only had 2 at that point. She asked me how I was getting on with my hormone tablets. "Haven't been given them yet" says I. She told me I should already have started them and would check with the oncologist. Well he was on holiday and despite me asking every day when I'm going to get them nothing has as yet been sorted although he's back now. I've been told he had a big in tray so I'll have to wait but getting very edgy about still not having them, especially as I was originally diagnosed last July and ended up having three lots of surgery (mastectomy following 2 lumpectomies with no clear margins)which put everything else back, then a course of 6 FEC. They assure me this isn't a problem, but it's not like I need paracetomol for a headache and not getting it, this is treatment to hopefully help prevent a re-occurance of my cancer. Has anyone else not started their hormone therapy yet?

Moya

How is everyone doing? Well, I hope, as this is a quiet thread! I was called in to see the oncologist today and told they had made a mistake when they said I needed 5 boost sessions. I had a second operation after the WLE to get a clear margin and the onc said there was nothing left to boost?! I am pleased not to be having more sessions as my skin is suffering but a bit concerned that they only discovered this now.

Moya xx

Guest user
Not applicable

well done Lulu!!! Well jealouse its all over for you !!!
I went off yesterday and spent a fortune in Holland and Barrett I got cod liver oil with other stuff in for the aches and pains and some deodarant that can be used in rads !!! Its aloe vera in a spray bottle comes out like water and has no metal in it t all so today aart from the bushall I dont actually stink as well !!!

Tiredness is increasing but hey ho its all over soon !

Love to all xx

Moya

Well done, Lulu. Glad you are through rads OK.

Moya xx

Lulu34

Well I'm finished now and so pleased I won't have to go trailing back and forth to the hosp every day.

Good luck to the rest of the ladies still under going or just starting rads.

Lxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Number 4 for me, feeling very tired this evening, and my boob feels like it did after the op i.e very sore, but it looks o.k So glad it's the weekend, going to try and really rest. Hope the others are all holding up ok. Saw the surgeon today, he's pretty happy with his handiwork, says he'll give the other boob a lift in a year if I want. He did say that the zapped boob may shrink with the rads, which is why i have to wait, i'm not even sure i'll bother. When I've got clothes on you really can't see the difference, it doesn't bother my OH so why have more surgery? We'll see, I may well change my mind, that all seems a long way off.
Have a lovely weekend, Gill

Moya

How is everyone doing? I've just had the 6th one and glad that it is the weekend.

Moya xx

Moya

Well done, Lulu - glad it's nearly over. Mary - almond oil sounds much more natural but I have been told only E45, aqueous cream or aloe vera (99.9%). I have also been given geliperm dressings and I was burnt after the first session. Hope your throat stays ok - weird side effect?
I haven't been told anything about bras, cotton, silk etc.
Moya xx

ChocDrop

Congratulations, Lulu

Hope you have someone to put cream on your back for you!
Sounds like you've done a marathon! My admiration goes out to you.
I've not started my rads yet but planning session next week.

Take care

Lulu34

Final rads for me tomorrow..... Yay! This will be no 20 but as via had rads before it will actually be no 70!

My skin on my chest and back are quite red and itchy.... My back is worst and very hard to reach with cream and impossible to scratch with my scabby chemo nails.

Lxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Mary, hope your throat is feeling ok, what a strange SE. Oh, the bra problem - i can't do without as my nipple is still really sensitive from the op so i can't bear it rubbing against anything such as a loose top. A bra usually has a seam across the middle which is a no no, leaving seamless sports bras, which are comfortable but made of non cotton materiel which cannot be good for the skin, especially as i wear them at night as well. I'm absolutely cream crackered this evening, feel like i've taken a tranquiliser. I'm off to bed, night all. G

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening all
Saw my onc today and he has prescribed me stuff for my sore throat (side effect of rads)
Gaviston before meals and mycostatine for afterwards...whats weird is that my throat has felt absolutley fine yesterday and today but he says it will probably get worse as the rads go on....
thats 6 medications i am taking now (others are for controlling blood pressure, controlling cholesterol and acid reflux)so cant wait to add the femara......
Ha!
Hugs to all and I definitely recommend if you are small breasted not wearing a bra but rather a cotton support vest and honestly pure almond oil is wonderful....its possible that my skin is like old leather anyway and the oil just buffs it ....but I'm not sore (yet).
Have you all been advised only to wear cotton or silk next to the irradiated area?Am particularly wincing at kit having to peel off her bra.....
Mary M

Moya

Glad we are not having rads in full summer. I feel like I have a bad case of sunburn and am being forced to go back into the sun every day! Aloe vera is very soothing and the staff are all so lovely. Wednesdays off sounds good to me, Gill - am looking forward to the Easter weekend!

Moya xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Kit, so know what you mean! Every time someone tells me not to use anything, i feel so guilty, but the Aloe Vera does me so good after the rads. It's all washed off before the next ones, so i don't see the problem. Spoke to my GP about it and she agrees with me. She says they are talking more about moisturisers and various skin treatments which contain lots of different ingredients which penetrate the skin and could cause problems. Moya, 3rd treatment today(we get wednesdays off!), hope you are feeling better.

Everyone else, have a lovely day, Gill

Lulu34

Kit I'm not allowed to use anything at my unit either but will get a tub of aqueous cream tomorrow to use when rads are finished.... I have had 18 and only have two more to go.

I'll be pleased when I don't have to do my daily run to the hosp even though it's only 30 mins away it's still a drag.

kit20

Was told at RADS today NOT to use anything on my skin until the treatment was over. I feel like a secret Aloe Vera user sneaking into the disabled loo and slathering it on. Trouble was today I slathered a bit too much and someone wanted in so I quickly put my bra back on. It has been hot here and the bra promptly stuck to my skin and it was agony peeling it off! Honestly I feel like a criminal skulking about the hospital lol.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,Thanks for your advice,Ive got aloe vera and aqueous cream ready for tomorrow's first treatment.Have been useing E45 since my op 8 weeks ago,had wle for DCIS ,breast scar has'nt been any problem but underarm has been so sore.Best of luck to you all,will let you know how my poor skin is affected. Take care .

Moya

Hi all. Birdiebates, looks like we are in the same boat, skin wise. I am on Geliperm dressings already after day 3. They are very cooling but quite fiddly. Also using aloe vera and aqueous cream.

Hi JCJ - saw you were going to be on Zoladex. Me too, waiting for first injection.

Moya xx

Guest user
Not applicable

JCJ
I think there may already be a Starting rads in April thread if not you could start one. Its great to be travelling the samish road together.Interesting that you have declined chemo -
Best of luck with the rads....

Mary M

JCJ

Declined chemo. Signed consent forms for RT. Probably start in April. Hope not too sore/tired/(bra-less? 44E Not a pretty sight!!) to enjoy our birthday treat to see Dara Obriain on 28th April!

kit20

Hi just started on 26th March, so far tired but fine.

Guest user
Not applicable

Erm...
Shad Thames is the bit just past Tower Bridge ...theres a cobbled street and a river front with restaurants ...lovely flats in old warehouses.
Mary

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Mary,

Yes its a difficult one I might ask tomorrow just worried I igt mess it all up but have a big do planned on Easter Sunday fro hubbies birthday and the thought of having a whiffy pit is bad along with the hair !!!! So uch for feeling feminine !!!!!!!

Where and what is the Shad Thames on the Southbank ??

x

Guest user
Not applicable

Ermintrude

Good question!
Technically I can wear deodorant because they are not buzz bombing my armpit as I've had all my nodes out...but i've just got nervous about using it because of the scar.Think I might try some this weekend! Thank-you....
Suppose if you wash it all off by Monday? But it might make you very sore?

Mary M
PS My favourite bit of the south bank is Shad Thames.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hiya everybody,

Ok I am halfway there 10 left to go !!!! I am sore, brown and my nipple well my whole boob is resembling a walnut whip !!!!! Cosidering putting a yogurt pot in my top to keep everything away from my nipple !!! Apart from that all is going well !!!! The treatment I am getting is wonderful and me and hubby walk along the Thames before out journey home so in this weather it is an added bonus of being in the best part of London!
I have been signed off of work now as the tiredness is weird ... it hits you quite hard and I feel like I am walking in treacle !!!!
Staying on the positive side its nearly all over and I can move on from the whirlwind that has taken over !

I do need some advice though .... can you use deodrants at the weekends when you are not having treatment or is it a big no no ?????

Hugs to all xxxx