1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Rads in March -please join in!

212 REPLIES 212
pesteringpixie

Re: Starting Rads in March -please join in!

Hi Ladies
Hope you dont mind me popping into your thread, i'm Pixie from the April 2012 chemo thread.. all of us now 2/3 of the way through chemo so the culmulative se's are hitting us big time especially as the tax truck has now moved in for many of us... 😞
However, reason I am barging in here is i am a woman on a mission. In early June I decided to see if i could raise some funds for Cancer Research and started making and selling Happy Bags. Have had a fantastic response thus far and raised £1700 in a month. They are gorgeous, everybody who has bought them is delighted and at £2 each affordable.
If you would like the link for them, either look at my profile - it is on there or pm me a message.
Am not usually a sales-person, but this is something i feel so passionate about and want to raise as much awareness and money as i can so we are among the last generation dealing with this horrific disease.
Much Love
Pixie xxx

JCJ

Hi Mary. I finished rads 14th May and was told by radiologists that I would get appointment to see onc 6 weeks later, and if I'd not heard in 3 weeks to ring and find out. BUT my REACT trial nurse told me that, as I was having an 'extra' onc apptmt in September anyway, and onc on holiday in August, I wouldn't get another in between. Actually, 24th September apptmt is 7 months after surgery and therefore not really an 'extra' at al - but the, somewhat belated, expected 6 month one! It will be 4 months post rads. I'm happy not to have to trek to the hospital for a while anyway, and I suppose I can always ring if I'm worried about something.

Today, I got my 'invitation' for a smear test. New cause for fear and anxiety, just when I was starting to get back to 'normal'!
bgboo

Hi Mary
I had my 6 week post rads check up, waste of time really, they were running late by over a hour, checked my boob asked about hair and said will see me in 6 months. I could have told them on the phone that I was ok, lol

Guest user
Not applicable

Is anyone out there?
Thought I'd share this with you....finished my rads on the 12 April and my doctor said he would want to see me in 6 weeks...I assumed I would be sent a date for an appointment -but none arrived...so today after almost three months I phoned to see what was happening and was told it was down to me to make the appointment and did I want to do that? So now I get to see him on the 8th August which will be 4 months after the finish of rads.....was really surprised because I wasnt told I had to make the appointment ...its not what happens in England!
bgboo

belated birthday wishes Mary, hope you had a nice day x

Guest user
Not applicable

its luckily still listed in my 'your posts' section so have been able to find it even if it was impossible to post on it! Hope everyone is OK......hope you find your way back Bertha...I'm fine just putting up with femara which so far isnt too bad although I have stopped losing weight after managing to stick to my diet all through treatment ....now i seem to have stayed at just over 11 stone for three weeks and my target was 11 on my birthday (which was yesterday). Blaming femara ......Mary M
BerthaB

Hi All, Struggling with the web site as well. Just managed to find it. can not find June Chemo thread from last year as well. Could not find this one when I did a serch put in Rads and March but nothing found ! I also put in the word infection and found nothing.. at that point I gave up ! Hope you are all doing well. I have a post Rads infection ........... bit of a suprise as I finished begining of April . Hope to find this thread again soon, but can see no way to add it to my profile page !

Guest user
Not applicable

I especially joined facebook in order to access a group called breast friends ...but there are loads of people on here who have experience of going back to work .....why not post a new thread? (If you can work out how to do it) ..........................................i have real problems posting it normally takes about 6 times before it will accept it ...i've taken to copying and pasting because i lose so many posts
Guest user
Not applicable

OMG how long has it taken me to get back to this page !!!! Mary I am not on FB anymore - got quite bore with it to be honest and weird chaps wanting to befriend me !!!!!! I am going to try to talk to somebody at CAB or even my Oncs secretary about the phased return. How is everybody - this thread is SO quiet or is it that everybody is struggling with it like me !!!!!! Well lets see if this appears !!!!! Love to all xxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

OMG how long has it taken me to get back to this page !!!! Mary I am not on FB anymore - got quite bore with it to be honest and weird chaps wanting to befriend me !!!!!! I am going to try to talk to somebody at CAB or even my Oncs secretary about the phased return. How is everybody - this thread is SO quiet or is it that everybody is struggling with it like me !!!!!! Well lets see if this appears !!!!! Love to all xxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Guest user
Not applicable

will reply to this even if it ends up with my fingers bleeding ...what field?Doubt very much this stupid forum will accept this edit - trying to say hello to you Moo...and to say i cant help with the going back to work but know ladeez who might but they are on facebook...if you are on facebook i can join you to the group Mary M

Guest user
Not applicable

Hiya everybody, I have at last managed to log on ! Must say I dont like it much I have lost all my discussions I was involved in !!!! How is everybody ?????? Is there anybody still having rads ??? I must say I am now feeling human and looking forward to going back to work .. well a little bit !!! I still have a slightly brown boob but alls well - I didnt think the tiredness would ever go but it has well nearly ! My onc last week said its the rads and tamoxifen combined that have wiped me out advised to stay off work until 16th June !!!! NO WAY can I afford that so I am going back after the long weekend I think its 6th June. Does anybody have any advice on phased return to work - the last time they knocked an hour off a day which I am sure cant be right ??Love to all xxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

I know, isn't it horrible, my avatar has gone awol and it had forgotten my password! Why it had to change I don't know but they must have had their reasons. I've not been very active recently, but i'm making the most of a rainy saturday morning in bed to update. One more week of rads, started on boosters so the end is near! The doc has prescribed me Hydrosorb pads to put in my bra and they have helped enormously. They are gel pads which sort of stick to you but without glue. They heal burns and keep the area moist and cool for hours, a godsend! The tiredness was a shock at first but now i've learnt to pace myself and do things really slowly. I'm supposed to go back to work a week after the end of rads but i can't see that happening, at least not full time. Going to stop now as i have a horrible feeling this won't work and i'll have to start all over again..
Guest user
Not applicable

Trying (very) to keep the thread alive ...what with all the disruption.....I'm in London currently but go home Sunday.How is everyone? Is everybody finished? Tail end Charlies out there?love to all....cannot get my head round this new site! Mary M
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

Well I am back from my trip to Spain - I did nothng but sleep and laze about and guess what ... I am STILL tired - I am seeing onc on Wednesday - I cant beleive the tiredness goes on like this !!! Boob is still brown and frazzeled but I did manage to hav a genie bra on all day on the flight home !!!!!

How is everybody - anybody else tired or is it just me being mega lazy which really isnt me !!!!

xx

Patchit

ps this is my cat I posted about way back at the beginning of the March thread, I think you might have been with us then. She was diagnosed with a tumour and things were grim at the time. however, she is on steroids and is doing well! I know it wont last forever, but I have loved having her around when I have had ny duvet days!!

Patchit

Hi Maggie

Our March thread is a great place for the support and help we all seem to need! We all seem to be getting through it, most people are around half way through now and we have all had varying SE's. I am going on to Rads having had my surgery first, but I know some ladies have surgery next then rads. Its a long old road, but at least its not so lonely! I have another 4 chemo, then will start rads around August. I hope you have coped with the rads, I know you were concerned due to other health issues, so I really hope things pick up for you soon.
Very best wishes
Joan x

Margaret_May

Hi Joan, Thank you for the good wishes and I really hope everyone going through the chemo path is doing fine. Yes I imagine this is what it would feel like but perahps without the sickness, hair loss etc etc that comes with the chemo. I hope you are getting through it all OK. Do you have to have radiotherpay as well? Love the cats! Take care and best wishes,
Maggie May X

Patchit

Hi Maggie May, I just saw your post and thoguht I would send you ane the other March Rads ladies a message. You were on the March chemo thread for a while before you decided on your course of treatment. I am glad to see that you have finished your rads now and hope the SE's gradually fade for you. Your mind and tiredness problems sound like you are on chemo!

All the best!
Joan x

Margaret_May

Hi All, re the tiredness, I would call it total and utter fatigue. I am 2 weeks post end of rads. Like you Ermintrude, up late, on settee do some stuff then exhausted again. Everthing aches. Keep having to cancel things!And yes have put on weight, how annoying is that?? Haven't even got giving up smoking to blame it on, just eating same amount but little excercise. I hope everyone gets to where they are supposed to be ths week end and can really chill out. By the way, it's not only tiredness, my mind and memory are like a fog!!Is that common or am I going senile?
Good luck with the giving up smoking.
Maggie may

Guest user
Not applicable

I take no credit for the smoking, I just woke up about a week before any of all this, lit my usual morning fag and felt horribly sick, and haven't smoked since - how weird is that? I wonder if it's hormonal, I was the same when I was pregnant - but I hope it lasts.. Sometimes I wish I did feel like a fag, I miss the habit, but not enough to start again. Anyway the doc did warn me that tamoxifen and smoking are not compatible. Hang on, does that mean I'll have to stop Tamoxifen if I start smoking - may be worth it after all!!! Only joking, I know it's all good for me, it just doesn't feel like it very often. Don't beat yourself up about it all, you've probably got enough to cope with without the guilt. You know you should give up, but it's probably the last thing you feel like doing at the moment. Giving up because you should is doomed to fail, only stop if YOU want to. Give Alan Carr's book a try, my OH gave up after reading it and he smoked 2 packs a day!

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Gill,

I have put about a stone on in the past 2 months and am strugglng to give up smoking - I have patches and such like but still have a puff on hubbys evry now and again - ironic my life has been saved in one hand and I still want to smoke ... so very well done I will get there soon - I hope.

You still have a while to go I wish you the very best of luck - my boob resembels a walnut whip !!!!!

Take care xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ermintrude, don't worry, you're not the only one struggling with the tiredness, I'm only just halfway through my 29 sessions and i'm exhausted! My boob is swollen, sore and the nipple looks like an overripe cherry! I can't even be bothered to use the aloe vera gel anymore. Despite all this, I'm not too depressed, every day is a day nearer the end of all this. What I am fed up about is that I have put on 4 kilos (no idea what that is in real money) since dx. I gave up smoking at the same time, so that hasn't helped, as well as the lack of activity. Have decided to sort myself out but it's not easy exercising when you feel so tired. Am munching my way through a plate of fruit as i type, but would prefer chocolate! Anyway, keep smiling and have a great weekend, Gill.
ps, hi to everyone else too, especially those who haven't finished or even started yet!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

Thanks so much !

Just an update anyways ... I am still slapping cream on my left boob - it has a sort of tan line but the worst part is the nipple I have resorted to wearing breast pads in my tops and it really helps - that is of course when I venture out as the rest of the time I am topless ! The tiredness well ... I am just so so tired still and slept in today until 10.30 then got up and slept some more on the sofa ! I woke up about an hour ago and apart from standing gazing into my wardrobe trying to work out what cloths to take on my trip I have done nothing at all because I just cant !

Is anybody else really struggling with tiredness - I finished rads last Wednesday and it really isnt getting any better also I have shooting pains in the boob like period pains if you get the drift sort of spasms.

Love to all x

Moya

Hi FC; glad you hear your skin is doing well. And have a fabulous trip Ermintrude.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Moya xx

FireCracker111

Hi ladeez - just to say that while the endless cream-slapping-on seems, well, endless - it isn't! I'm now two and a half weeks post rads and just put on some cold cream once a day, and my skin seems to be recovering really well, just a light brown square around the whole breast/ armpit.

But a holiday in Murcia would also go down really well! Have a fantastic time, Ermintrude.

Take care,
FC

Margaret_May

Ermintrude, that is so brilliant, what a lovely hubbie and family to organise that. Hope you have a wonderful healing time. Hubbie and I were both going to Normandy on a clock/antique buying spree next week but I am just not up to ferries and long car rides, so have insisted he goes as he has been an absolute brick through all this and he will meet up with another clockaholic friend there. I continue to burn and sleep, not a good day today but know it will calm down soon. My hospital gave me some funny jelly things you put in the fridge then put them on the hot spots!! So now its jelly and creams,which is very similar to some puddings that have just been created on tv in a cooking competition!! But I am NOT adding raspberries or tarragon to my mixture!! Have lovely breaks away and all the best to all others undergoing the rads at the moment.
Maggie May

JCJ

I am a moron! That last post was supposed to be sent to BENCHLAND thread. Definitely losing it!! 🙂

JCJ

Well I was on the CBA bench today. Not gone into work. Listened to family telling me to rest. Moved over to Craft bench whilst knitting little pink baby stuff for colleague. Now I'm on the F***** Furious bench as I've just rung Amazon and BT about our new phones. One of the charging adaptors has broken and, as I only bought the phones 2 months ago (when hubby broke leg so he could answer in bed or on settee and so we could ring each other after my op!)I wanted them to replace it under guarantee. BUT they will only replace the whole lot as it comes as a set: 3 phones, 3 bases, 3 power leads!! I got stroppy - said it was our only land-line phone and I needed it for important medical calls. Amazon have now agreed to send the replacement FIRST and then I can send the broken lead back in the box with the new phones - so I don't have to transfer all the phone numbers, calls etc form ALL 3 handsets to ALL 3 new ones!! What a stupid waste of time, money and postage, because I bet they'll sell those brand new phones off cheap - or even bin them! All for the sake of a poxy thruppeny lead! Madness!! Grrrr!

Guest user
Not applicable

Moo...oops I mean Ermintrude

Hope you have a wonderful break in Spain....hope the weather is better then here ...
You will probably fly over my house as you go south (we are north of Toulouse) ....just look over and see that the pool/garden/cat are all OK would you?

best wishes

Mary M

Moya

Hi Ermintrude

That sounds fabulous - what a treat, and what a lovely husband and supportive family. Have a wonderful time!

Moya xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

My hubby is the best !!!! Last night he gave me the biggest surprise - on Sunday we are flying out to Spain to see our best mates !!!! Apparently the famalies have had a whip round and paid for us !!! I am so happy - it will be so relaxing they live in Murcia amongst peach groves - very quite and relaxing. I have called them and warned them about the fatigue etc etc and they are preparing a lounger in he shade for me next to their pool so I can just snooze the days away ! Hubby will go fishing and to be honest it will be wonderful for him also as he has been working and still coming to every appointment and rads session with me.

Sorry to go on but I am so happy I could burst ... which I feel my boob might do quite soon as its so swollen !

I hope evrybody else has good trips - looks like most of us are having a change of scenery - I think its gonna help!

Hugs to all xxx

Moya

Hi all

Most of us have finished rads now, I think - good luck to Alanaa who starts today. I have started using almond oil (as used by Mary M in France) and my skin is doing better than I feared. I preferred aloe vera during treatment to E45 and aqeuous cream as more natural and very soothing.

Thanks to all of you for the support through this - really helps.

Moya xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh Mo!
Thats what happens to me when I go to my daughter's!
Cooking and shopping!
Have already said I'll cook on Friday evening even tho I will have just flown in from France.
Still the journey from our house to her house takes less than 5 hours and some of that is hanging about at the airport.
It was an almost 4 hour round journey to the clinic in Toulouse!
Enjoy Belgium!

Mary M

modurham

Glad to see everyone is on the home run. Have to say today is the first day I have worn a bra all day - 3 weeks post rad - and not felt uncomfortable. Breast been a bit swollen. I have not really worn one for 3 months and have been letting it all hangout whenever I can. The last week I have had a red rash near arm pit which was tender but that is on the mend now. It is nigh impossible to keep your arm away from your bust of a night and, of course, I sleep on the right hand side, which is were the wle is. I think I have got away quite lightly - sometimes it helps not to be big busted.

Lovely to hear of everyone's plans and hope you all have a great time. I go to my daughter's in Belgium in a fortnight's time so am laying the fatigue on a bit. Normally I do a load of ironing and cleaning for her, as well as getting the meals ready for them to come in, but am trying to warn her that I will need an easier time this visit.

Going to watch 4 in a bed in a minute. Really good luck to everyone out there and best wishes.

Guest user
Not applicable

Oops in my last post I said Mary about the choccie but it was Maggie - apologies !!!x

Margaret_May

Whoops, before I go and veg, just got latest from Ermintrude, well done for escaping for a while even if to get more of the dreaded tamoxifen. Me I'm too old for that , its the old ladies version,arimidex. If I was getting dried out before this drug now I am like a prune!! Everywhere.!!
Enjoy 60 min makeover.
Maggie May XX

Margaret_May

Mary lovely to hear that your daughter is running the London Marathon for BCC. Have a good reverse holiday in UK.Alanna and fat cat, all the best with the rads starting tomorrow.Moya hope work isn't putting too much pressure on.And all the best to all others starting, continuing or ending rads.
I am 12 days post last zap today. Really sore and have to keep doing arm excercises as it feels really tight under the arm pit, but wonder of wonders have not been so tired today although did sleep till 10.30!!Whoops. Ermintrude,hope you managed the walk to get a stamp? So far the plan for me to go and buy chocolate has failed mainly because my husband bought some! Cold and wet here, time to lie down again!
Maggie May XX (Tired but not so grumpy)

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

I went out !!!! Hurrahhhh ! I actually got in my car and drove to my docs to request a repeat script of the devil drug Tamoxifen I then went home parked up and went and brought my stamp to post my cert to work as they are now wingeing about when I return to work. So how was it ..... I am once again back on the sofa wishing the 60 minute makeover team would come here and just do some cleaning for me !!!! Feel wiped out now but better that I forced myself to go out ! Yay!

Tomorrow my plan is to pop out to buy some chocolate - mega good plan - thanks Mary !!!!!

Love to all xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Good afternoon Mary

just a quick post to wish you a lovely holiday and a great time with your family.
I am actually starting my rads tomorrow after all the trouble with my darn wound, which has finally healed.

Hope the weather improves in time for your break.

Love from Alanaa and Fat Cat xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Mary, I'm so jealous, I would love a holiday in the UK, haven't been home for ages. Mum and Dad are coming out next week, bringing essential supplies (bisto, custard creams etc) but it's not the same. Can't seemyself going until the autumn, as the summer months are spent by the sea mucking about on boats and horses! Hope you're making the most ofyour new found freedom. Sorry about the typing, my daughter insisted on doing my nails and now i can't do anyhting! Have a lovely time, and don't forget to let us know when you're back!
a bientot, Gill

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello All
Sorry to hear about your tirednessess
I'm not doing too badly - didnt have a nap today - first time in ages, think I must be working on adrenalin cos
I'm off to England on Friday for two weeks (reverse holiday!)and am having to get stuff done before I go....finish making little presents, make sure all clothes I need are washed and ironed etc. and that the garden is fully weeded so we dont come back to a jungle.
The asparagus will go to waste ....
Will probably collapse in a heap over the weekend ....tho I do have to watch the London Marathon because youngest daughter is running in it ...with proceeds to BCC.
Mary M

Margaret_May

Its so good to know that there are others in the same boat. Today I managed to wash up the breakfast things before collapsing on the sofa. Oh did manage to stand up in the shower and throw a bit of water and soap around. Ermintrude I like the plan for each day. Mine will involve getting some chocolate. Thank you all, you cheer me up.
Maggie mayXX

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

Yes I have been like a slouth on the sofa all day trying and trying to sum up the energy to do something .. anything !!! I managed a shower then couldnt be bothered to blow dry the mop so now I am smelling sweet but look like a deranged banshie woman with a birds nest on my head - with BAD roots I hasten to add ! My hubby is now getting used to coming home to find his once full of life fully made up wife on the sofa topless knowing there is no chance of him getting within an inch of me !!!! I am sorry fo the wonderful ladies with no hair but I am sure you all understand what I mean !

So tomorrow - I have decided that I will walk to the post office to buy a stamp and thats it !!! Gotta have a plan for each day apparently !!!!

Love to all xx

Moya

Hi lovelies

Lousy as it is feeling so drained, it helps to know that it is normal and we are all in the same boat. The support from everyone on here is invaluable - "other people" seem to assume that as rads have finished it's straight back to normal. Work are starting to ask when I am coming back (I am working a bit from home at the moment) and I am just not ready. And it's going to get worse before it gets better...

Loving Ermintrude's suggestion that we go topless - one sure way of traumatising my 16 year old son!

Moya xx

Margaret_May

Hullo to anyone from January mastectomy/surgery thread! I finished rads on Good Friday, 11 days ago. Have been hit hard in last couple of days by mega fatigue you all describe above and have been in bed most of day!Have had fatigue on and off through rads but this is something else! Very sore as well, everything rubs and am feeling more fed up and miserable than at any time in this process. I am only helped by the brilliant people who have been through this and posted that it will gradually get better and that this is normal post rads. I do hope so, because this is not good at all. Feel really down in the dumps!Have started Arimidex a few weeks ago as well, wonder if that is adding to the general yuch!! Sorry for the rant and I wish all you other April rads ladies well!
Maggie May

Guest user
Not applicable

Its very quiet on here !!!!!! How is everyone doing ???

I am officially fatigued !!!!! Rest is the way to go topless by the way !!!!!

Love to all x

FireCracker111

Hi, just wanted to say congratulations to the Finished Ones and offer a bit of support to the Tired Ones.

I finished 30 sessions almost two weeks ago, and yes, it took about a week not to feel a bit wobbly about not having that daily 'care' (albeit with a spot of intense burning too).

And the tiredness - exactly, it's not normal tiredness, for me it's been like having a blanket of fatigue over everything, making even thinking a bit tricky sometimes. I've been feeling more switched on mentally for nearly a week, but still low on physical energy - not helped by not being able to go out walking cos of the rubbish weather...

Anyway, good luck everyone - and I reckon taking one day at a time is indeed the best way through. And make the most of any resting opportunities - I didn't and I'm paying now!

FC

Moya

Hi Gill

Good luck this week. I find just doing a day at a time gets me through tough patches. And be kind to yourself, there is nothing wrong with taking it easy if you can.

Moya xx