Starting Rads on the 17th September

Hi since im starting rads on the 17th does anybody have any advice about what creams to use i have to have it on my chest as well as on clavicle (spelling might not be right) getting nervous as i seem to feel worse now than when i was having chemotherapy. I have developed a large seranoma under my right arm (from the masectomy and lymph node removal) which is just getting bigger anybody else have this problem? Many thanks Vonz

Hi Vonz

Whilst you await replies from your fellow users I am posting a link to the BCC ‘Radiotherapy’ publication which may answer a few of your concerns, please don’t forget the helpline is open during the week 9-5 and Sat 10-2 on 0808 800 6000

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/radiotherapy-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc26

Here’s some information about seroma’s too:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/surgery/after-surgery

Take care

Lucy

Hi when I had radiotherapy i was told to avoid the aqueous cream they recommend and use only 100% Aloe Vera gel. It worked for me, no burns, no discomfort and skin colour back tonormal. Rads are nothing compared to chemo, you will be fine x

I stopped using aqueous also just used e45 cream and bio oil…worked for me

I have been finished rads 1 month now and the waiting to start is the worst.Once you get started you will feel better…It’s just the not knowing how it’s going to be.Aqueous cream for sure is really good…five pounds from Boots for a huge pot.I found rads not to be as bad as I expected although I did get very tired. My boob has calmed down a lot in 1 month and doesnt feel so heavy now…although as I said in another post its habbit I just keep holding it (just a protection thing I think) I really must try and STOP now…its not a good look in Asda! hehe
Hope this helps a bit :slight_smile:
Good Luck vonz
sending a hug
Kate x

Hi Vonz, i’m on rads number 19 of 20. I’ve only used aquaeous cream and my skin is brilliant, it has barely changed colour, I have no tenderness or skin irritation at all. I do burn easily in the sun so fully expected problems but so far nothing. Just follow the advice your team give you, that’s as much as you can do, we’re all different and some of us will sail through it and others wont. I understand you’re feeling anxious, I was too before I started but it’s an absolute doddle, the most stressful part is the car park!
Best of luck
Lydia x

I was advised to use aqueous cream liberally several times a day, before, during and for a few weeks after rads. Aloe Vera was mentioned, but I was told NOT to buy that as I may not need it, and it is quite expensive. Good advise. I didn’t need it. I bought a big tub of aqueous cream from a chemist (also in poundland, I’m told!!) for just £2.50 and I’ve still got some of it left.

I finished rads in May and my skin stayed intact, just a bit more sensitive and a bit red. I was VERY tired, mostly at about 10 days to 2 weeks after the 15 sessions finished, which is what I was told would happen.

3 months on and my skin just looks a bit tanned where it was zapped.

I didn’t have chemo, so can’t speak from personal experience, but everyone I’ve spoken to says rads are a walk in the park compared to chemo - just a bit annoying having to go every day and it makes you more tired.

The radiologists are a lovely bunch of people and they’ll look after you and make the experience as easy as possible. Listen to their advice, as we are all different, and so are the machines! I was almost sorry on my last rads session saying goodbye to my ‘team’!

I have had 13 out of 25 and was advised to use Aloe Vera gel mixed with a small amount of oil (like Bio Oil). So far no problems. Good luck.

Jane

I also felt sad on my last rad session … they are great people and I told them they are all like little angels.Also my expeirience my boob got a little worse after finishing rads before it got better and so did another lovely lady I met in hospital and we have kept in touch … so just keep slapping the cream on and you will be fine:)

Many thanks to everybody your advice is very helpful, im just feeling a bit nervous although this should be the last part of my treatment for the time being apart from the the hormone therapy we are still trying to sort out Many many thanks

I don’t have a date to start radiotherapy yet, still awaiting an appt to see the oncologist but I hope everythng goes okay for you today.

Karen

Hi ladies, I started rads last Thursday, after 6 cycles of chemo, which I finished 4 weeks ago, as I’ve only had 5 treatments so far I can’t help with what to expect, the nurses who are treating me are great, I know that if I’ve got any questions or worries I only need to tell them, I started using aqueous cream as soon as I’d had my first rad, I also use Simple body wash as it has no perfumes etc!, so far everything is going good, hope everything is ok with all you ladies, Toni xx