cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting anastrozole

36 REPLIES 36
Janey2

Re: Starting anastrozole

And yet I appear to have good bones!! Yay the one advantage of all the extra weight I bear!! X
Janey2

😂 I feel it!
jak60

S'pose it depends if your a crumbly too! x
Janey2

Ooh scan for me tomorrow. Wonder if I will be rattling soon!! X
jak60

Hi Jane,

I'm glad they have sorted that out for you. GP wants to see me in a month to discuss my bone scan results. I'm already on calcium but he said, depending on results, I might need something else. x Jak

EJM60

That's good news Jak. I've had the results of my bone density scan and have been prescribed calcium as the density is lower than it should be for my age. Feel like I might rattle soon!
Jane
jak60

Good news GP doesn't think it's wise to change my antidepressant! Been on Anastrazole a week today not sure what is post rads effects and what is Ana. x Jak

EJM60

ive not had the results of my bone density scan yet, and completely forgot to ask the GP last Saturday for calcium tablets!  It was possibly because I had a bit of a break down when trying to explain how I'm feeling at the moment.  I think it's as Janey said - people think that once the surgery has happened we're all fixed.  

I do think the anastrozole is making me very emotional - can cry at anything or everything.  As to other side effects, I've been on it for a month and not sure what's side effects and what's a natural reaction to the cancer diagnosis - but I'm very unstable emotionally, hot flushes and night sweats, nausea and heart burn during the night, sleeplessness, bone pain in my shins and ankles, and last but not least I'm sure I'm losing much more hair than usual!

But apart from that I feel fine!!!  I suppose it's a small price to pay to stop a recurrence though.

Jane x

EJM60

ive not had the results of my bone density scan yet, and completely forgot to ask the GP last Saturday for calcium tablets!  It was possibly because I had a bit of a break down when trying to explain how I'm feeling at the moment.  I think it's as Janey said - people think that once the surgery has happened we're all fixed.  

I do think the anastrozole is making me very emotional - can cry at anything or everything.  As to other side effects, I've been on it for a month and not sure what's side effects and what's a natural reaction to the cancer diagnosis - but I'm very unstable emotionally, hot flushes and night sweats, nausea and heart burn during the night, sleeplessness, bone pain in my shins and ankles, and last but not least I'm sure I'm losing much more hair than usual!  

But apart from that I feel fine!!!  I suppose it's a small price to pay to stop a recurrence though.

Jane x

jak60

Janey2 I know what you mean - we still have to cope with everyone thinking that's it we're fixed don't we!!
I'm feeling left out now haven't had a blood test since the infection after surgery! maybe the GP will want me to have one next week when I see him...
Janey2

Hello again Jak! Just had my dexa scan through for next Friday. Genetic counselling on Tuesday, bloods today and then breathe until I know what anastrazole is doing to me! Jak I wonder if it's a reaction to the end of rads as well. It's a weird kind of anticlimax. Xx
jak60

Have been taking Anastrozole for 3 days now. Has anyone had an emotional reaction this so soon? I can't separate all the things that give me bad days but I'm wondering if today is more about the drug? Rads finished on Tuesday and I've had my bone scan.

x Jak

jak60

Hi Jane,

Well done. My appointment came through today for 26th Jan. Still haven't started Anastrozole as hasn't been a time to pick them up when surgery is open. I'm not sure whether I should start taking the bone tablets until after scan although I suppose it won't make that much difference now.

Jak x

EJM60

Jak - I rang the unit where the dexa scan is and managed to get a cancellation for tomorrow! One less thing to worry about!
Jane
jak60

Hi Jane,
I support my right arm and gently move it back as this is the point where it really aches - I suggest you ask the radiologist to support your arms as you put them back down. Let them lift you - I've really pulled my back trying to be independent when getting off the bed. No Brownie points for being brave! Will you be able to make both appointments? My husband and I have appointments on the same day same hospital but mine is early morn his is at 7:30 eve!! x Jak
EJM60

I had my appointment for the decade scan for next Tuesday, two hours after my radiotherapy at a different hospital.  This was arranged by my GP as I've had the rest of my treatment privately, but the insurance wouldn't cover the scan!  

Interesting reading about about timings for taking anastrozole - I was recommended to take them at night, but am struggling sleeping with hot flushes, nausea and heartburn.  Might try taking it earlier in the day as I'm sure I'd feel better in myself if I was well rested at night.

Jak - not looking forward to the arm positioning for the rads as broke my right shoulder nearly 5 yrs ago and still suffer with that, and my bc is on my left and still struggling with range of movement due to cording and a fall I had over Christmas.  They might have to lift me off the bed as my arms tend to lock!!

Jane

jak60

Hi Janey2,

Glad to be of service! I'm 61 so that may be why I need to start bone strengthening meds straight away + my mum was diagnosed with osteoporosis mid seventies.

Thanks for advice.

Jak x

Janey2

Hi Jak. Thank you for the prompt to chase Dexa scan (again!). I'm seeing a GP tomorrow, so it's reassuring to know they can organise this also. I haven't been told I need any additional medication to prevent bone problems, so I think this may depend on the scan.
The tip I found most useful was to take the Anastrazole bed time, as it made it easier to cope with any nausea. That has now gone and I'm now taking in the morning to hopefully shift the time the fatigue hits me, as I'm back to work next week.
I'm glad your GP is on your case with anti depressants. Anastrazole can cause some mood problems, so do monitor this. I hope this week's rads go well. My handy hint for that is to use MooGoo udder cream, it was wonderful stuff, approved of by radiotherapy team and recommended on here x
jak60

Hi Ladies,

I finally got in touch with GP about Anastrozole, bone tablets, bone scan and change of antidepressant letter that he should have had a copy of - he hasn't!! So he has booked the scan and arranged for my prescription. I can start on Tuesday which will be day 5 of rads - any tips? He was lovely about the suggested change in antidepressant (wants to do some research into it himself) and is in no hurry so will see me face to face when I arrange the appointment.

Rads have been a bit uncomfortable so far as it takes them ages to get me in the right position (so am stiff all over the place) and I am experiencing prickly pain already - gone back to using a support pillow at night. Sleeping loads but tired (am walking every day), prone to headaches and still emotional.

Enjoying the weekend off! Hope you are all improving?

X Jak

jak60

Hi EJM60

Sorry your feeling down. My husband's just come back from dropping off latest Dr note at my school. Makes it all real again. Still I am a bit more cheerful today and will be going for another walk in the sunshine later. x jak60 x

EJM60

Hello Jak60 - will be thinking of you tomorrow. Think I have the post Christmas blues as my mind is filled with breast cancer thoughts again - was still awake at 4.00 am, slept till 7.00 and have a banging headache, whether it's the anastrozole or lack of sleep I don't know.

Jane

jak60

crjd - Thank you x jak60

cjrd

Hi jak60,

Sorry to hear that you did not sleep well last night.

Of course it is only natural that you are anxious - everything just seems so overwhelming.

I will be thinking of you on Wednesday! X

jak60

Happy New Year to all,

EMJ60- I am due to start rads Weds too and spent most of last night awake - thanks to lovely ladies I am prepared but still anxious.

Let's hope that 2017 is a happier year!

x jak60

Janey2

Hi Jane. Good luck for Wednesday. It does sound like Anastrazole. My oncologist recommended taking at night, due to the nausea. That side effect did pass and I am now trying to take in the morning to see if fatigue is better managed that way. I've had 2 different brands and thankfully that doesn't seem to make a difference x
EJM60

Hello all -  I met with the oncologist last week, and as I'm having private treatment he has written to my GP asking him to refer me for a bone density scan as the private insurers don't cover this.  Started the anastrozole last Wednesday as had been putting if off (naughty I know!).  So far the number of hot flushes I have at night have been increasing and I have woken for the last three mornings with a bad headache and then last night was awake for about three hours feeling sick.  Just monitoring these things to see if they all settle down, or if in fact they're not connected to the anastrozole at all!

I'm also having 20 radiotherapy sessions, with the initial appointment this Wednesday. Have been feeling really calm over Christmas but the gnawing anxiety is starting again today. 

Jane

jak60

Guess I should x
cjrd

I think that I would ring surgery and put in a request for a call-back from GP - that is what I do! X
jak60

Hi Ladies,

Very interesting comments. I am lucky in that the hospital I'm under for rads is only 20 mins away (I asked to be referred because the link hospital I should go to takes 1 1/2 hrs to get to because of traffic).

crjd, sorry to hear about thinning bones - I'm a bit extra worried because my mum was diagnosed with osteoperosis 9 years ago.

I'm not sure what to do about getting hormones. I had a copy of the letter oncologist sent to GP asking that he book a bone scan and prescribe Anastrozole but haven't heard from him other than leaving me a sicknote to collect. Guess I should make an appointment after holiday weekend.

jak60 x

Janey2

It's all a bit confusing about follow up I've found, although I have no complaints molaints about treatment and care. You had a huge journey every day!
cjrd

Hi Janey2, I hope that you get an appointment arranged shortly. I had my Dexa Scan on the same day that I completed radiotherapy; unfortunately they forgot to prescribe Anastrozole! X
Janey2

I asked about my dexa Scan when I met the oncologist at my check up. They'd forgotten to refer me on for baseline assessment! Hoping I won't have much longer to wait ...
cjrd

I am now taking Anasrozole alongside Natecal D3 (600mg) and weekly Alendronic Acid. The Alendronic Acid was prescribed after a Dexa Scan showed thinning bones.

Good luck with rads jak60 - the only gruelling thing that I found with rads was the daily 120 mile round trip otherwise, all was grand. X

jak60

Hi EJM60,I'm interested to know how you are getting on. I haven't got my Anastrozole yet but do know I will be having a baseline bone scan and bone strengthening meds. Apparently Tamoxifen contains something to help with bone thinning so if you are prescribed Anastrozole you need the extra meds. Also I've been told my antidepressant of long term use will need to be changed - which is a bit worrying to say the least! I start rads next week.
Jak60 x
Janey2

Hi Jane
I've been taking Anastrazole for 3 months now. I'm still waiting for a dexa bone scan and going to chase up when I have oncology follow up this Friday. When I met her last I was told I should have a Scan so that it's a base line for monitoring any one thinning. Lesley is right, it can strip the bones.
Speak with your GP about a medical exemption card. As you are being treated for cancer you should be entitled to free prescriptions.
Good luck x
Lesley21

Hi Jane, I can only speak from my own experience.  My surgeon prescribed Anastrozole and told me that it can cause bone thinning so requested a bone density scan.  From reading others posts I believe this is the norm.  In my case my scan showed some bone thinning so I was also prescribed Calceos (Vit D and calcium) and told I would need another scan in two years.  I would ask you GP about a scan if I were you.  Good luck xx

EJM60

Starting anastrozole

My surgeon gave me a prescription for anastrozole on Friday. Unfortunately as I had my treatment privately it was a private prescription and quite expensive. I have spoken to my gp's practice and hopefully I can get it free on the NHS. My surgeon hasn't mentioned a bone density scan, but on reading up on side effects it seems that I should have a scan before starting on the medication. Just wondering what other people's experiences have been? Jane