cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting chemo July 2012

hazza81

Re: Starting chemo July 2012

Hi guys
Best of luck michelle and quinny for today. Starting mine on wednesday, absolutly dreading it! Had a bit of a panic last night, but things seemed better in the morning.
Just been to a Headstrong session, would recommend it, if even to have a laugh at the norah batty style hat thing that I tried on! And the fringe/ hair extension thingys. Nice!
xox Claire
hazza81

Hi guys
Best of luck michelle and quinny for today. Starting mine on wednesday, absolutly dreading it! Had a bit of a panic last night, but things seemed better in the morning.
Just been to a Headstrong session, would recommend it, if even to have a laugh at the norah batty style hat thing that I tried on! And the fringe/ hair extension thingys. Nice!
xox Claire
quinny

hi michelle im having mine today 3 fec then tax ..how u feeling this morning .what time is your appt xx were u having it? im at queen elizabeth in birmingham xx

mickey24

Just found this July thread, i'm starting chemo this morning 4 x tc cycles possible extending to 6. Good luck to
anyone else having chemo today! Michelle xx
smudge65

Hi

Sorry can't help with side effects as i havn't started chemo yet, off to onc today for first meeting....hope everyone coping ok today with whatever they have to cope with xx

Donna

N_M_76

Hi everybody
I started my first AC today ... 3 more AC and then 4 more Tax ...... after i did my mastectomy operation one month ago
Chemo , radio then Tamoxfin
Very worried about side effects
Nothing to feel till now .... Just the painful cold cap I tried .. The first 10min are very very painful my scalp was freezed but then I used to it ... I just want to give it a try and see if it is worse or not ??!!
It is very awfull feeling to wait for something the side effects u hear from here and there ...
cornishgirl

Hi Kirsten, big hugs to you too, i know how scarey starting chemo can be but often the fear of it all is worse than it actually is, im not saying it cant be tough at times but there is lots we can do to make chemo as manageable as possible, and you will have lots more good days in there than bad, ive stocked up this time on the things that helped me last time around in preperation as its much easier to try and aviod or ease any of the usual SEs than to try to cure them once they start, but please remember all chemos are different and everybody reacts differently to all chemos so you may not have any the same SEs as me so try not to worry to much pet.
I have stocked up on Movicol and prunes lol for the constipation which sometimes happens with all the sickness meds ,omeprozole for acid indigetion (i suffer from this anyway) as chemo can be hard on the digestive tract, Difflam mouth wash and Difflam throat spray to help aviod/ease any mouth probs , travel bands i found good too for any nausea last time around though i havent needed them this time, a soft toothbrush ,drink loads and loads of water to flush the chemo through quicker and most importanly to keep you hydrated , and listen to your body and rest up when you need too.
Your BCN will be able to help you lots with any worries you may have so its great to have a chat with her, and always remember you can contact your hospital 24 hrs a day with any probs you may have, the chemo staff are very good at making sure that you dont have to suffer any SEs in silence and there are loads of different meds available to help ease any you may have, youll be ok pet just hang in there, its surpriseing how quickly chemo gos once you get started and you WILL get through it and come out the other side promise, make sure you have lots of treats lined up to look forward to (retail shopping works wonders lol) and just be kind to you.
Keep positive Kirsten , i know its all scary stuff ,but apart from a few tough days last time around i was able to carry on with my life pretty much as normal as possible , some ladies even managed to carry on working throughout chemo so try not to worry to much yet pet ,take things one step at a time then everything doesnt seem so daunting , hope you have lots of help and support at home , big hugs to you.
Linda x
CoachK

Thanks Linda, great to have some experience on the team. Sorry you are having second whammy. I have a few weeks to go yet - any tips on preparation? Anything I can do to be in the best place to start it all?
I am seeing my BCN next week for a preparation chat.
Hugs Kirsten

cornishgirl

Hi Ladies, Hope you dont mind me joining you on your July thread, i started chemo on monday (second time for me grrrrr) am haveing Taxotere,Carboplatin and Herceptin together so the tripple whammy, am on day 2 now and feeling ok, have managed to get out and about lots for the last 2 days so all is good, have finished my steriods for this cycle and will finished my anti sickness tabs tonight i havent needed to take any top up sickness pills yet so thats a bonus lol am a bit constipated which i expected again from all the meds but am stuffing prunes and taking Movical which should get everything moveing soon (she says lol) anyway, just wanted to say would love to join you all on your thread ,we can maybe all cross the blooming chemos off together and help and support each other through it all, i know its very scarey faceing chemo for the first time but you will all be ok promise and we do get through it all in the end, keep positive ladies ,hope its ok for me to join you all.
Big Hugs to everyone, Linda x

mandymoo_1

Hi Hazza,
Im starting chemo on friday the 13th, i know exactly what you mean sureal isnt the word. Scary but I just want to get started now. I have invasive ductive, triple negative and the lump is really big so they are doing chemo first then either lumpectomy or masectomy depending on results followed by radiotherapy.
Apparently I cant have a cold cap as it wont be any use with the chemo I'm gonna have. So I have gonna try and get a wig, I have really long hair and dreading losing it.
If you want to befriend me feel free, would be lovely to have a friend that I can talk to with the ups and downs ahead.
Lots of love
A
x
quinny

yh i felt like that with mine till bout the sunday its a lot better now still get the odd pain but nothing to shout bout xx

CoachK

Quinny - I can't see why not - just ring and ask the dentist I guess. Hope all is OK.
My Portacath pain is settling down but I am feeling a bit sick!!!

quinny

hi both do u no if its ok to go dentist with picc line in i no this sounds like silly question lol but am scared of dentists also xx

smudge65

CoachK

Glad you are at home, hope the pain goes soon xx

CoachK

Quick update - Portacath is in - ouch! Woke up from surgery with severe shakes and in more pain than with the other two, much bigger, operations I have had. Went home that evening though having managed to convince them to prescibe me Tramadol so I could bear the car journey and to have at home so I might sleep. Now just need to recover from 3rd GA in 2 months and then get on with Chemo. Glad to have it in though as veins were difficult as usual yesterday and won't need to worry about that all through Chemo. BCN looked please about it all too. Thanks for all the support

quinny

great news smudge xx

CoachK

Smudge - great news!

smudge65

Hi July Girls

So happy just had last set of scan results and the ultra sound said they were cysts on my liver...yey for cysts. Hope all have a good day

Donna xx

quinny

hazza i feel the same carnt do owt i have 8 kids xx

hazza81

Hi Madjock and the rest of the gang
Wrote this post a while back and didn't get any replies, so didn't look for a few days, and bingo lots of reassuring messages when I finally checked again!
I had a 2cm tumour removed few weeks back, deep margin wasn't clear ( but couldn't remove anymore) so having extra radiotherapy after my chemo. one node affected. Having EC for 6 cycles. and tamoxifen after. From someone who has had so little experience of medical procedures, its a lot to take in! I thought I was squemish, but I guess if you've got to do something, you just have to do it!
Am most worried about not being able to look after my daughter ( 18 months) I do have suppport ( husband etc), but its just not the same as being able to do it yourself!
mickey24- Don't worry about if you are having the correct regime, your doctors are well practicsed, when i queried mine, she just said that they follow 'international standards'.
Nice to know I have some company on this chemo journey! xox
quinny

thank you jo i think its starting to settle now notso much pain as b4

Jo_BCC

Hi Quinny,

If you want to have a chat with someone about picc lines, you are more than welcome to speak to the staff on the helpline here - they'll explain it all to you. Calls to the helpline are free, 0808 800 6000, lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

lindy50

Hi Quinny
Sorry can't help with your question about picc lines as I didn't have one; if you want to pop over to the March thread and ask your question there someone would be able to help for sure. I would say keep an eye open for any infection and if you are at all worried call your chemo unit for advice.
Take care, Lynda x

quinny

thank you lindy .do u no bout picc lines and how long it takes 4 them to settle down had mine in tue and have a dull ache brusing and a tiny bit of swelling xx

lindy50

Hi Ladies
I have also popped in from the March chemo thread just to wish you all the best of luck on this part of your journey. It can be a tough ride but it is doable. Couple of tips I can offer is to drink plenty of water before, during and after each treatment and rest when you need to. I'm sure you will all be there to support one another as you go along however as Liz said please feel free to p.m. me also, if I can help in any way I would be pleased to do so.
Good luck and best wishes to all, Lynda xxx

Sam50

Hi Ladies
I have just had my 1st lot of Chemo on wed 27th June, was really sick that night and again thursday eve and friday morning, 4 days on I am feeling alot better I am down for 4 lots of each it still all seems a bit sureal that it is happening to someome else but I am assured that once I get through these 1st few days I will feel more like myself, the unknown is always the hardest so now I know what to expect each time I can gear myself up to it mentally, I am just wishing the next 5 months away and want to feel like a normal person again. This has all been a big shock to all my family and friends as I am considered to be the fittest healthiest person they know. All the words of encouragement and positive thoughts are a real help and knowing you are not alone going through this.
quinny

hi all hope u all ok im having a horrid weekend but think my period not helping and picc line still sore hopefully will settle by nxt week xx hope u are all ok xx

Kate22

Hi
I start chemo next week. Not sure which day yet. Having line put in Wednesday as my notes say I have phobia about needles however been getting over that after needles have had to have over last 2 months! Like you say it is surreal. 2 months ago I thought I had pulled muscle in my arm and now I am 6 weeks on from surgery with chemo next. I keep telling myself this time next year it will be history but seems a long way off at the moment.
Will be good to have some company for the journey!
CoachK

Hi there. I am also a July Chemo starter but not until 24th. I had a mastectomy with a temp implant at the end of May but the wound didn't heal well and broke down which meant I had to have second operation to remove the implant and so I now have a flat mastectomy. I am having a Portacath put in next week as my veins are not easy. I have asked to delay the chemo by a week so I can go to Devon for a week with my hubbie, kids, parents and a friend. This should provide a bit of reality. I agree it is all a bit sureal and I am fine about the lost boob and scar. But I had a dream about chemo last night and was quite emotional this morning so I am obviously concned at some level. I have bought some head scarved and a sun hat and read the coping with Chemo tips. Feel physically and practicaally prepared but have no idea how to prepare mentally. Luckily I have local family support and a great bunch of friends - particulary at church.
I hope those who have already started are coping well. Keep up the posts and remember this is not forever.

EBHippo

Hi Ladies
just popped in from the Marchies to wish you all the best, we have all been there to support each other through bad times and good. We have laughed, cried and swore together - it really does help when you know somebody else is going thru it and you are not alone. Sometimes you are not sure what side effects to expect or what is normal.
If I can be of any help, please pm me, if any of what I have been thru will help somebody else then it gives a little comfort.
It will be a tough ride but you can do it, we are made of stronger stuff and just be there for each other - Liz xxxx

smudge65

Hi All

I was going to be in the "June Gang" but because of unclear margins had to have second op, got appointment with onc on Friday so hopefully will be able to join you July Girls. What a strange world we are living in when we hope to join a chemo gang!!!

Hope all those already on their way are coping ok.

Love Donna xx

mickey24

Hi i'm starting chemo next Friday too, at the moment the plan is TC Regime 4 cycles, but I am querying this on Monday as i'm worried that i'm not having FEC too. I had an 8mm tumour er positive her 2 negative grade 2 with one positive lymph node. could anyone tell me their story and how they are being treated?
Thanks so much
Michelle xx
quinny

hi ladies i joined the june thread but cause of temp i will b starting on 6th of july nxt fri i to am scared to death but i just need to do it now just want it to end have any of u got picc line in? xx i will jump in to july one to see how u are all doin good luck ladies i also will let u no how i get on hugs to all ..my name is donna from birmingham 42 with 8 children xxx

Kittyqueen

Hi folks,
Really sorry you've had to join us on here, but the support is immense. I was diagnosed end of Feb and am 5 out of 8 treatments through. It's tough but you can do it xxxx
Have a read of the other chemo threads...I'm from the March one..there are loads of tips, rants, raves, sobs and laughs.
Wishing you all the very best

Love
KQ

Madjock

Hi Hazza81
I start chemo on 10th July, usual FEC (x6). I had mastectomy end of May.
Can't say I'm looking forward to it at all but......
Don't know what regimen you're having but I'll let you know how I fare after my first round, assuming I'm fit enough. I hope the thought of the chemo is worse than the treatment!
I understand what you mean about everything being surreal, Who is this person they're talking about, it's certainly not me because I feel fine (even after having had mastectomy, it's still not me!!!). I am getting through this by staying in denial most of the time, days I don't think about it at all and days when I have to tell myself 'don't go down that road' it's too dark.
Good luck with treatment.
Maggie

hazza81

Starting chemo July 2012

Hi,
I'm due to start chemotherapy on the 11th July, is there anyone out there who is in the same boat?
i'm wondering when everything is going to stop feeling so surreal!
xox