370346posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting chemo May 2014

gmc

Re: Starting chemo May 2014

Morning Ladies -  no more injections for me so hoping to feel a vast improvement soon. Need to work on my bad temper more than anything as I'm as grumpy as hell. Think a lot of it is due to not eating and yesterday the district nurse gave me a leaflet adivsing re food fortifiaction - eg making drinks more nourishing by adding double or clotted cream and making smoothies with bananas, ice cream malted milk powdre and honey - all the naughyt things that I'll have to avoid once weight back to normal!

Sherly -hopefully  it sounds as though they couldn't possibly fit in another 2 sessions of chemo before your op. So glad for you that they've brought it forward and I'm sure you'll need a bit of recovery time prior to op to get your blood cells in a good position to aid recovery. Have you got an appt before the surgery on the 16th ? I am seeing the sugeon on the 10th Sept and will have  a lot of questions to ask about next op. I wanted to get a bit more info before this appt so phoned the helpline on this site - first time I've done this- and the nurse was really helpful and knowledgeable. She's posting me out a booklet first class, discussed my history and options, talked about surgery,rads and reconstruction and the choices of endocrine therapy. Must have been on the phone for an unhurried half and hour so would thoroughly recommend a call if anyone has any queries.

Glad your last chemo over Zonda - it's so encouraging that we are all getting through this and beginning to think of future plans. I play a lot of badminton but think it may be quite some time before fit enough for that - stairs seem a monumental achievement at the mo !

Ruth, I hope the next few weeks wizz by for you and the end is in sight. I was put on Tamoxifen 11 years ago and had to take it for 5 years. It did plunge me into menopause and I got all the horrible menopausal sysmptons but I don't think they were any worse than other friends were going through quite naturally. I had no other probs with it and only wish in hindsight that I'd have been able to stay on it longer as it kept cancer out of my life dutring that time. 

Linda, hope your meeting goes well today. Your holiday sounded a bit fraught at the start but hopefully the rest of it was realxing. Clotted Cream is on my shopping list - at least now I can say it's for medical purposes!

Have a good afternoon everyone, Gill X

Sodastream

Hi Ladies, hope you're all well. I'm now day 8 of 2nd doxetaxol and just beginning to come out of the dark side. I really hate doxetaxol, give me FEC any day. My husband made me laugh this week as I've been moaning and pouring my feelings out to him rather than to you lovely ladies and the other night couldn't sleep so got up at 4am to have a cup of tea and read rather than toss and turn and keep him awake. I'd only been downstairs 5 minutes when he flew down to check I was ok. Last night he said he'd been really worried by my low mood he thought I'd gone downstairs to slit my wrists. I had to laugh as his reaction was so over the top and made me realise he worries far too much as I'm the sort of person that needs to moan toget it off my chest and move forward. Therefore in future I'll stick to moaning on here.
Side effects are finally clearing up other than the indigestion which means I can't eat without being in agony. My husband was trying to diet using herbalife meal replacement shakes so I've been using them to keep my energy up and on a positive note I've lost weight and feel so much more comfortable in my jeans.
Another good bit of news today is my surgeons appointment has been moved forward to 16/9 so am now hoping chemo stops earlier so I can get into surgery. On the FEC I saw and felt such a reduction in the size of my tumour but since starting doxetaxol feel its heavier and am convinced it's starting to grow again so really want to get on with surgery now.
Sorry for moans and rant but like I said its my therapy and I feel so much better.
I was looking at August thread and one of the ladies advised how to upload photos so I've loaded up photos of my hair journey through chemo. If you click on my profile you'll be able to see them.
Hope you all have a wonderful weekend and enjoy this lovely weather. X
Sodastream

Zonda that is fantastic news and calls for celebration once you've got your taste buds back. Hope you have a really good cycle with few side effects and manage to squeeze some treats in before surgery. X
Zonda

Yippee!! I had my last chemo yesterday.  Soo happy it is finished.  My veins can leave the inner depth of my arm and return to the surface.  My hair can grow back.  No more constipation/diarrhea.  The welcome return of taste.  Oncologist told me the pins and needles won't go for several months though and my eye sight has deteriorated slightly.  Hopefully, I can start to lose the wieght I have put on.  I have missed exercising as I used to be quite active and I can get back in touch with my horse, something I have missed terribly.

However, I will have surgery at the end of September, which I don't mind in the least, and radiotherapy about 5 weeks after that for 5 weeks.  Oncologist wants me to start on tamoxifen on October 1.  It seems as though there is no end in sight to the treatment but at least the chemo is over.  Next week my son is having surgery on his knee and I should be just about finished side effects enough to look after him.

Hang on in there everyone. There is an end to the chemo for everyone.

Sodastream

Hi Linda,so glad you managed to get away but why is it that when you're meant to be relaxing things go wrong. At least you managed to carry on and got your cream tea. Ooohhh what I'd do to be able to taste a cream tea at the moment. I'm day 4 of my 2nd doxetaxol so have awful bone pain and have lost my taste and have that horrible fatty coating in my mouth. I really hate doxetaxol , give me FEC any day. Keep wishing my tumour would start growing again so they call a day on chemo and get me into surgery as really don't want to have to go through this another two times, six is just about manageable.
Ruth I had hot flushes when I was diagnosed that lasted the first cycle of FEC but then disappeared. Since I've started Doxetaxol they've returned although not quite as bad and I don't wake up drenched like I did but just very hot and a little sweaty. I finish chemo just after you and am not looking forward to starting tamoxifen as I'm worried I'll put on even more weight.
Think I'm going to pop some co codamol and hope it helps the leg pain without adding to the constipation problems. My poor son walked into the lounge and had to open all the windows as the fumes from my body were making his eyes water. 😝
fowey

Hello Ladies,

Wax2014, I am so pleased that you visited Fowey and liked it 🙂 Yes the main carpark is quite a feat to get too up those hills ! We usually stay along the esplanade and the property has parking thankfully  🙂

It is interesting that you mention hot flushes, I have recently been experiencing these the past 3 days..I thought I was coming down with a cold that my two daughters have had, I was literally dripping with perspiration and having to sit in front of a fan. I have my weekly Taxol tomorrow, it is number 7, so when it is over I will be able to say there are less in front of me with the remaining 5 to go.

I also have been struggling to find a drink I enjoy as my taste buds are so weird lately and as a result keep ending up dehydrated.

GMC - I wish you luck with your bone scan, I also had to have a 2nd ct scan as a nodule was showing on my right lung, but it hasn't changed in size so the docs don't appear overly concerned. It originally showed up on a scan I had done a few years back and stayed the same size which is encouraging.

I hope everyone continues to get on with their treatment without too much angst. Mine finishes on October 7th, then I have a 3 week gap before 5 weeks of Radiotherapy at Mount Vernon, but I begin Tamoxifen before then and I keep hearing and reading horror stories about night sweats and hot flushes.I have always been a 'hot' person anyway and even in winter I only have a 4 tog duvet ! xx Ruth xx

wax2014

Hello Ladies hope you are all Ok and feeling as well as can be expected.

I'm back after an eventful break in Cornwall.. nice to get away but the curse of 2014 seems to follow us everywhere ! Got to the rented cottage on Monday unpacked and went for a look around in the local village on the way back bellowing smoke from under the car bonnet, needless to say Tuesday morning it was on the way back to Birmingham courtesy of the AA !! We were left with either going home with it or stuck trying to fathom out how we'd get around or get home. Luckily for us the owners were on site in the Farmhouse behind the cottage and took us into Bodmin to hire a car and saved the holiday...

Ruth in honour of you we went to Fowey.. you forgot to mention that the main car park is up a very steep hill.. I didn't realise how out of condition I am as I had to stop to catch my breath on a few occassions.that said It is a lovely place full of nice shops to look round. I also treated myself to a cream tea in Polpero which was lovely. 

Back home and at work , see my boss again for another meeting on Thursday which I will assume is when I'll get my redundancy notice as it's a month since the consulatation started.. Hey Ho.. Just another hurdle but starting to accept it and trying to look on the bright side.

Gill, glad that you have finished your chemo as well, I am nearly five weeks on and feeling better although the hot flushes are a real problem at night and my taste is back but different in some ways as I still get a strange taste in my mouth from time to time.

Keep smiling... Linda xxx 

gmc

Hi Ladies

Hope everyone is feeling as well as possible. I had my last chemo yesterday so once the next couple of weeks have passed I hope to feel a bit more excited than I do now! I think because I sometimes read on this forum what the other ladies are going through who are a month or two ahead of us I realise that the side effects don't always disappear that quickly and they are as up and down as we are here sometimes. Think I may need to put myself on the Sulky Step.Probably a lack of sleep last night has made me extra grumpy! I have got sleeping pills and I should have taken one as steroids do keep me awake - although strangely they didn't at the start of my chemo. I'm just a bit worried that I could come to rely on them and sleeping has never been a problem for me before.

Got an appointment for another bone scan in a couple of weeks.I think it's because prior to my op in March a  bone scan showed a mark on one of my ribs so they said they would re-scan in 6 months to keep an eye on it.

I'm going to sign off now in a more positive light having unloaded my concerns. It will be so lovely not to have to have another chemo and I'll be so pleased when we are all through with it.

Enjoy your weekend everyone, Best wishes, Gill x 

fowey

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for your support at such a difficult time for all of us.

I do find myself wondering what I have done to have so many horrible things happening to my family in one year? I also find myself getting resentful watching othe rpeople getting on with their lives, happy, going on cruises and abroad. I was looking forward to afternoon tea at a local manor house, with a friend and now I have to cancel that to be there for my girls at the moment, but they are more important right now.

I have also gone from eating next to nothing to eating loads of comfort food but it all tastes horrible due to my taste buds,,,ah well ! xx Ruth xx

gmc

I quite agree with your comments Sheryl. I think we're all entitled to have a rant every now and then and this is the ideal place to let off steam as we DO all understand how very hard this is at times - especially when other problems are running alongside too. I had a lovely day out today but coming home a sad song was playing on the radio and I totally lost it! My emotions are all over the place and I do think a lot of it is down to the Tax.

Sheryl, if you get your boots out  no-one will have a clue how short your jeans are !

Good luck for Tuesday Ruth and hope you'll have a couple of better days and that your family problems start to get a little easier soon.Linda, I hope your work isn't too tricky next week. It's almost as though someone is throwing as much crap at us at once to see how we cope!!!! 

We will all get through this, have a good evening ladies, Gill x

Sodastream

Ruth please don't feel ashamed of moaning as we're all here to support each other on this emotional journey. You've had loads to deal with recently on top of your chemo. I agree with you that the tax is making me so much more emotional than the FEC and I find myself feeling low for no particular reason but luckily have recognised it's the chemo.
I'm enjoying my stay in Norfolk but can feel the waistline expanding by the day and now it's getting chilli in the evenings I'm dreading stop wearing my comfy 3/4 length jeans as I don't think I'm going to fit in my jeans. Do you think I'll look silly wearing 3/4's all through winter?????
Hope everyone is ok and side effects free at the moment. I have my 6th chemo on Friday so will have to stock up in ice cream before then so I avoid upsetting my son again. Sheryl xx
fowey

Hello Ladies,

I feek ashamed moaning about my treatment when some of you are going through so much more than i 😞

I think for me, I am struggling with some horrendous family problems, my older daughter has had a breakdown, she admits my parents being unwell and outwardly staying strong during my treatment has taken its toll on her. My younger daughter has depression and anxiety and is on meds for it, but is very up and down and we only found out that she self harmed throughout her time at senior school...so for 7 years, due to bullying ( which we knew about and we were addressing with the school at the time ) Shes now at uni and much happier but the spectres remain and the after effects too. My sister has also been off work since our parents crisis began last May and is presently receiving counselling. I think as a family we have been lucky over the years with health, but its all happened in the space of one year for us.

So forgive my negativity and I hope all your treatment continues to do well, I have Taxol number 6 this coming Tuesday and I do find emotionally I am much more up and down than when I was on FEC . XXRuth xx

wax2014

Morning Ladies,

I agree emotions are one of the hardest things we try to control and the chemo, tablets etc make this worse. The dark moments creep in when you least expect them but when they do it's hard to shake them off. I don't think until you go through all this that you can fully understand the timescale of treatment and it's effects, were all in it for the long haul. Initially after coming to the decison that I would stop chemo I was upbeat and feeling happier with the situation, then bang throw in some of life's extra's ..issues with my mother, Ian's dad sufferng with his arthritis which leaves him housebound, c**p at work and I'm in tears!! Back to square one worrying about treatment, getting to and from radiotherapy , not being able to find work whilst undergoing treatment and finances. Then I know (hopefully) next year I will have a further Mastectomy to the right side as Lobular cancer has a tendancy to be bilateral. My choice I know but I would have had to have the right side lifted anyway.. but still more surgery.. it just seems overwelming and never ending.I know I am not alone with life's extra's and the added stress as many of you are going through similar issues.

So keep talking and posting it helps to share frustations / worries and fears with other ladies that truely understand, I really don't know what I'd do without this support. Linda xx

PS Redundancy is a foregone conclusion, nothing I say makes any difference even Macmillian say they see it all the time as discrimination is so hard to prove and employers know this !! 

gmc

Hi Sheryl

I hadn't realised that you won't be starting your chemo til the New Year. You are doing so very well to cope with such a long course of treatment - especially when quite a lot of people are getting to the end of theirs. Hopefully we'll all still be able to share our highs and lows for as long as it takes and is needed. Really like the idea of all meeting up next year. Congrats too on your son's exam results - you must be so proud.

I haven't a date as yet for surgery. I imagine that I will have an appointment with the consultant once the chemo is finished. I really want to discuss my options fully with him as he did suggest a reduction on the other breast at the same time as he removes yet more of the problem breast so that I have a matching pair. Not really sure that I want this now as will have yet more scars!  

My emotions on Docetaxol have been very up and down. I keep a diary of it all and on both the last 2 cycles  I have spent days 5,6,7,& 8 being tearful, hysterical at times and a right old pessimistic misery. However I feel better after letting it out - not sure the rest of the family do!

Day 14 now so feeling so much better and almost human again!

All the best ladies, Gill 

Sodastream

Hi Ruth. I know how you feel re chemo dragging on but look on the bright side you'll finish before me as my last one is October 10th, I then have to have a masectomy so won't be starting my 5 weeks of radiotherapy until the New Year so it's really going to drag for me. To keep me going I'm thinking about the holiday I'm going to take when this is all behind me. I'm really hoping I'll then be able to put this all in a box that I'll be able to open up and reflect on when I want as I'm in control not the cancer. Have you thought about paying for a mammogram earlier if it eases your mind its got to be worth it. I get a lot of strength from the Metaplastic breast cancer Facebook group that I belong to. Some of the women on there are stage 4 and have such strength despite what they are going through and with the right treatment have been carrying on with life for several years. I do think the taxol is the culprit for some of these feeling though as I was so emotional this cycle unlike previous ones. I hate to wish away time but pray that the next 7 weeks whizz by for you.
Gill when is your surgery planned for? You'll be pleased to hear I've just eaten a peach instead of chocolate but that may be due to the fact the only chocolate in the house is what I bought my son for his amazing GCSE results so don't feel I can steal any of that. X
gmc

Hi Ladies

This is such an emotional time for all of us and I'm sure each and every one of us have harboured dark thoughts along the way. Ruth, I'd love to say something to help you feel a bit more hopeful for the future as I fully understand where you are coming from but I think we all have to face our demons our own way-. I also think that at the beginning of chemo we are so centred on dealing with the unknown ,the chemo and all its side effects that it's only towards the end when we look towards the next treatments and the future that the next set of worries kick in. Good news the the mole isn't a cuase for further worry. Speaking personally I still have a long way to go even though nearing the end of my chemo - further surgery despite prior surgery to remove lump (didn't get it all as far larger than they thought) and then radiotherapy. I belive you too are having surgery followed by rads, Sheryl . We'll be on this forum for some time to come!!!

Sheba, good luck tomorrow and hope you find the SE more bearable this last time.

Linda , have a great holiday and let us know how your meeting with the boss went.

Sheryl, have a great time away and don't worry about the weight too much. Maybe we need a bit of extra to have the strength to cope with it all. Although I'm always happy with my body after losing a few pounds mid chemo cycle and fitting into trousers I couldn't previously do up comfortably! Goes back on quickly enough!

Have a good evening everyone ,

Gill X 

fowey

Hi Ladies,

Sorry to hear you are having down moments, I have also been feeling low and short tempered lately.

You all seem to be nearing the end of your chemo and moving onto your Radio therapy. I still have 7 weeks of weekly Taxol to complete and this is after 4 x 3 weekly sessions of FEC ! I then move onto 5 weeks of Radiotherapy mid October which will take me to nearly the end of November . I saw the surgeon consultant Tuesday because of the mole that had appeared but he didn't seem overly concerned. He booked my mammogram for March 24th 2015 which seems an age away plus near my next birthday, which is when I found out I had breast cancer this year. I was rather hoping I would have 1st mammogram after all treatment had finished much sooner in order to move on with life from the begiining of 2015 😞

I must admit I have had lengthy discussions with hubs about if this mammogram is not clear and what I would want to happen next, as I have no desire for more surgery and another year ruined with loads of treatment again. I have always said before this happened that if I was struck down with a debilitating illness in life I would seriously consider Dignitas, so we shall have to see and hope ! xxRuth xx

Sodastream

Hi Linda, 6 handbags even my daughter didn't manage that amount!!!! I bet you can't wait for your holiday to Cornwall, hope you have a great time and have a Cornish pasty for me.
Sheba sorry to hear you're feeling down at the moment, it doesn't help when you've had a really bad cycle. Just think this will be the last one and even if you have to hibernate for 3 weeks at least you'll be finished.
We all have down periods and I think it's part of the process. I'm finding it difficult because I have to have 8 chemos and I wish I was nearing my last one like the rest of you. To make matters worse I'm really putting on weight now and have realised that I need to start a diet after the weekend as I'll get really down if none of my clothes fit me. Problem is I was exercising a lot before the chemo and have stopped so will have to dust off the exercise bike and try to start some gentle exercise as well as cut out all my unhealthy snacks. I'm off to Norfolk again this weekend so will make sure I get out walking although cant guarantee I'll hold off on the ice creams.
sheba56

Hi all

just read through the last couple of weeks posts hope everyone is ok. I am due my final FEC on friday and I can honestly say I am terrified it will be as bad or worse than the last one. I still don't really feel recovered it knocked me sideways I have slept so much over the last three weeks and I can't really settle to anything. I almost can't be bothered to even talk to people and I find my mind just zoning out of everything.

Have to see the oncologist just before my treatment to find out about the radio therapy etc. I can honestly say I really feel low at the moment and am having serious mood swings and doing more worrying than I did when I was first dignosed it is beginning to sink in that I have had cancer and what that means. I am finding it really hard to be optimistic and wish the medics could reassure me on a daily basis. Maybe this is part of the side effects of the treatment hopefully once this one is over I will feel better.

wax2014

Hello Ladies,

Just catching up on posts and I'm sorry to hear that the 'grumps' have set in on your latest treatments. I feel a bit out of it at the moment as I have now finished my chemo journey but I'll do my best to keep your spirits up if I can. I am just over three weeks since my last chemo and I am starting to feel much better in myself and happier. That sense of humour does return !!! I am still very tired at the end of the day and if I do too much it really catches up with me, perhaps I am just expecting to much. We went out for the day at the weekend and enjoyed the jousting at Warwick Castle (thank heavens for Tesco Vouchers - would have been dissapointed if we'd paid £31 each to get in & £6 parking !! ) It's nice to have time on our own but I do miss Jemma. She is keeping in touch with us and apparently the bag count is now up to 6 !!!  She's home on Sunday and we can then all go on our holiday's to Cornwall at last. Smiley Happy I just hope the weather holds out.

I am supposed to be having another meeting today with my boss re upcoming redundancy, but as usual he's been here since 8.30am and I'm still waiting !!  I am taking the stance that it hasn't happened yet and I will worry about finances etc nearer the time, I haven't room for that to upset me at the moment.

I had a call from the Coventry Hospital yesterday to confirm my radiotherapy planning for the 10th Sept so will be back on the treatment treadmill for five weeks.

Sending you all gentle hugs, hang on in there xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fowey

Hi Ladies,

GMC - Thank you for your good wishes re parents situation, it is hard and been going on now since May, it has taken its toll on my 3 siblings and I as well as our family units .

Sodastream - I know what you mean regarding drinking, I am struggling to find a drink that I enjoy as my taste buds are so weird these days, so I know I don't drink enough either 🙂 I am also grumpy these days and find I wonder if people sometimes forget what we are going through , as they act so normal around me, yet thats what I asked them to do ! So I know I am being unreasonable as they cannot win !

The girls BBQ went well, hubs and I sat upstairts out of the way and the rain held off, they just have the clearing up to do this morning now :)) xx Ruth xx

gmc

Similar experience here Sheryl - asked Ian to buy me a couple of magazines and he came back having bought the only magazine I get delivered regularly . I also had no sense of humour  ! I also agree that this Tax is more obviously poisoning our bodies.I definately feel worse for longer but appreciate the good days far more. Afternoon tea in Guildford sounds fab - at least by then we'll both have a sense of taste !!

Hope your BBQ's are good fun and at least it sounds like you've chosen the better of the two days weatherwise this weekend.Also hope your parent's situations get easier eventually Ruth.

All the best ladies, Gill x

Sodastream

Hi Ruth thanks for the sense of humour which made me laugh so it must have worked. It's been awful being in such a grumps for the past few days and once my son gets out of bed I owe him an apology. He did go to Sainsburys to get me ice cream and I asked for hagan daas praline and cream and a mint ice cream, he came back with cookies and cream which was awful as the chocolate bits stuck to my mouth and plain vanilla as he said they didn't have any mint. This is a very large supermarket and I can't believe they'd run out. Note to self never send a man to buy ice cream as they just don't get it!! Think I might have been a little ungrateful so hence the apology owed.
Pleased to report feeling better today and will do my best to drink lots as I think that the headaches are due to dehydration and if not to take painkillers instead of suffering. I hate taking pills and never take paracetamol unless I have a temperature although in the scheme of what we're actually putting in our bodies at the moment then 2 little painkillers is nothing,
Hope you enjoy your BBQ and to all you other lovely ladies hope you have a good weekend too. Sheryl x
fowey

Sodastream,

Posting you a sense of humour as requested 🙂

I have a houseful for a BBQ this evening too, our younger daughter is having her local friends round as she goes back to uni in Plymouth on 1st September, so shes got 7 round, our older daughter will be here with her b/friend too 🙂

I find everything I eat tastes horrible at the mo but at least I am not running to the loo all the time on Taxol !

I am finding life stressful with my dad back at his home after his broken hip, hes very demanding and although my sister has moved in with him, hes hard work, not very grateful and very stubborn, so hes stressing us out, whereas our mum who is a sweethheart is adapting to life in her care home. But life goes on and I try to find positives each day 🙂 xx Ruth xx

Sodastream

Gill I will have to meet up with you when you go to Guildford, I know a nice place for afternoon tea. I'm already fed up with Tax and I've got another 3 to go. I agree it's different to the FEC but I'm now day 8 and feel lousy. Can't really describe what it is but I feel like I've been poisoned, have had a headache for last few days and my mouth is soooo dry that it is difficult to eat as there is no saliva to help the food go down, not that I feel like eating as I have no taste whatsoever (first time ever in our house we have an unopened box of chocolates that have survived 3 days!!). I'm just sending my son out to get me some ice cream as I guess it will be refreshing on my pallet. I've also lost my sense of humour over the last few days so if any of you find it can you post it back to me. Grumps over I'd better wake up feeling better tomorrow as I have lots of people coming round for a barbecue. Sheryl x
fowey

Hi Ladies thanks for all your support and encouraging comments re the mole thing.

I am presently having chemo at a private hospital nearby, but once the chemo finishes, I will have reached the ceiling of our private health cover, therefore, for the Radiotherapy I am being switched to an NHS hospital. My oncologist is based at Mount Vernon in North London, so he said it made sense for me to swap to that NHS hospital to still be under his guidance rather than begin again with another oncologist at a more localised hospital, so I was happy to go with his advice 🙂

One day we wil all beable to say all oru treatment has finished !

xx Ruth xx

gmc

Morning Ladies - another wet start here in Hampshire and I can feel it's cooler on my naked head!

Ruth - sorry you have the added worry re this mole. Fingers crossed for good news next Tues. It seems most of us are in this for the long haul. My last chemo should be sept but then further surgery and radiotherapy. I will be going to Guildford for the latter so plan to do my Christmas shopping whilst there! Need to get something useful out of it!

Sheryl- congrats to your daughter, you must be very proud. Maybe have a delayed glass of bubbly in a few days when you feel more like it. Hope you don't feel too bad after your first Tax - I'm starting to ache a little less but the mouth, bowels and fatigue starting to get me down. Thankfully I haven't got to work like you Linda. Reading about your work probs makes me wonder if you should investigate if they have a Grievance Proceedure. Usually the threat of that puts the fear of God into the bosses as chances are they haven't followed the structure of the redundancy route to the letter. Another alternative is to contact a Union. You don't have to be a member initially to get some advise and if they do request you to join it's only a few pounds a month til you get sorted.I worked for years in Banking and Fraud Investigation and the Union was very useful at times. You shouldn't have to fight this on your own , especially in your weakened state.

Hope everyone has a reasonable day

Best wishes, Gill

wax2014

Hi Ruth, sorry it's difficult to remember who's where with treatment, I too will have five weeks of radiotheraphy and have to travel to coventry which is about an hour each way, I'm not looking forward to that either ! I have been told that the planning meeting will be about second week in Sept so I am assuming I'll start at the beginning of October?? I suppose it depends very much on how busy they are, Coventry serves the whole of Warwickshire to I can imagine that they will be. It's quite silly really as the brand new QE hospital just outside Birmingham does Radiotheraphy and I can get there in 20 minutes but because it's covered by a different health authority I cannot get refferred there. Smiley Frustrated

I hope you get your mole sorted, as Sheryl says they are being very pro active with your appointment so try to take comfort from that, easy to say I know, any additional worry is too much.

I too have been experiencing a painful boob, I had a mastecomy with implant reconstruction and the pain was worse just after chemo and then got better but since the last sesson it has stayed with me and some days the implant seems harder.. I should have mentioned this to the oncologist but as usual there was so much to discuss I forgot !

Sheryl , I have opened up to another collegue this morning and it does help but there are only three of us in this office anyway and I'm not sure is there's "Ear's" passing on information, so I try not to say too much but I am gathering information as I go...just in case. I'm glad your daughters exam results were good , the cream cakes sound a good way to celebrate!

Rest up and enjoy the rest of the day xxxx

Sodastream

Ruth I know how you feel re the finishing line as my last chemo is October 10th but I keep telling myself that's less than 2 months. Why are they doing the radiotherapy in London and how long will it take you to get there?
Sorry to hear you've got the extra worry of a mole but at least it sounds like they're on top of things and moving your appointment forward means less worrying time.
It's celebrations in our house today as my daughter did well in her exams although I won't be joining her in drinking champagne so instead got some nice cream cakes so I can have afternoon tea with her when she gets home from work and leave the champagne for her and my husband. X
fowey

Morning Ladies,

I had my 4th Taxol on Tuesday, unfortunately my finish line isnt looming Wax2014, my weekly doses don't finish until October 7th, then I go straight into 5 weeks of Radiotherapy travelling every day to a london hospital instead of the present one 20 minutes away, so my treatments won't finsh until end of November.

Interestingly, a raised brown mole has appeared on the boob that I had no cancer in and the breasts care nurse wasn't happy with the look of it, so shes brought my surgeon consultant follow up appointment forward from 9th September to next Tuesday, for him to have a look. Does anyone still get discomfort in the boob they had a lumpectomy in at all? I do So I am worrying what this new find is all about now, they said not to worry but its difficult not too. I said to hubs I can't tolerate anymore surgery at this present time so lets just hope its a lesion caused by treatment which is possible apparently.

Hope everyone else is doing ok xx Ruth xx

Sodastream

Linda, work sounds awful at the moment. Is it a small or big company? You should try to be as open as you can and talk about how you're feeling to all your work colleagues so they understand how difficult it is for you and will hopefully understand what it might feel like to be in your shoes. I hate the fact that they seem robotic about it all and not taking your feeling into account. I wouldn't let them I'd be opening up telling them everything so they could share the burden whether they wanted to or not. Start asking questions as well as in "if I think I'm being unfairly treated who do I seek advice from" that might get them thinking. At the end of the day you've got nothing to lose so you might as well go out fighting and making some noise.
So glad Gemma is enjoying herself and she sounds like my daughter with a handbag addiction. I remember sitting in Rome having lunch with her but she couldn't focus on what I was saying because we were sat opposite a handbag shop and then some traders set up a stall next to our table.
Glad you're feeling more normal, hope work is better today. Sherylx
wax2014

Sorry to hear you ladies are still struggling..hang on in there the finish line is looming. I am starting to feel more normal on the taste and energy front but my painted on smile is fading and I cry at the drop of a hat...its all getting to much, yesterday at work my manager had to put together a spread sheet showing all the time I've taken sick, whats covered by sick notes ,holiday days and bereavement days and I was asked to check it 'so there was no dispute' they're up to something with this redundancy lark ..probably trying to get out of paying me any money..atmosphere in the office is rubbish which all adds to the stress..think some councelling may help?
On a positive note Jemma rang last night its been 41 degrees in spain , shes bought three handbags..typical girl and is running out of money fast but shes really enjoying herself which is a tonic for me ...
Have a good day all..& best wishes to you ladies having treatment today xx
Sodastream

Morning ladies, hope you're all coping well and positive that you're nearly at the end or for some of you even finished now.
I'm day 6 of doxetaxol and am slowing down. I had a great weekend with lots of energy. Bone pain kicked in Monday but co codamol helped. Didn't take any yesterday as I was going to friends house for dinner and wanted to drive. Had a fabulous night with lots of laughs which helped distract me from any side effects. Had to take some more co codamol at 2am as felt like someone had my shins in a vice!!! Today pain has eased again which is just as well as I need to take my son for an ultrasound this afternoon (feel like I should move in to that department as I've had 6 ultrasounds in last couple of months) and need to drive again. Will make sure I take pain killers before bed tonight.
Luckily I've got nothing planned for tomorrow or Friday so can take it easy if I need to. Sheryl x
gmc

Good luck today Ruth - & congrats on being a third of the way through now ! We're all getting there slowly but surely. x
fowey

Good Morning Ladies,

Great news for those who have finished their chemo 🙂 I am off to the hospital today for number 4 of 12 Taxol.

GMC - Thanks for explaining SE , I was being a bit dumb I think 🙂 There are so many treatment plans out there that are tailored to each individual, no wonder I get confused 🙂

I am not sure how much longer I will have the cold cap as my head hair is thinning out alot now, so I will have it shaved soon .

Keep it going ladies ! xx Ruth xx

gmc

Glad to hear you had a really imformative discussion with your oncologist and were able to make decisions about your future treatment. It must be such a relief to know that you haven't got to go through another debilitating chemo session and can now build up your strength again without it being knocked down again by yet another dose of poison! I hope you sleep well tonight .x

Sodastream

Linda that's great news that chemo has at last finished. That's both you and Lucia finished now having both had your last chemo cancelled on the same day.
You can now concentrate on getting healthy and ready for radiotherapy and the last leg on this journey. I'm glad Jemma has contacted you and lovely for you to hear she's having a great time. X
wax2014

Sheryl, hope you enjoyed your day sounds like you've been spoilt rotten with some realky thoughtful pressies.
Thank you all for your kind wishes.Oncology appointment was informative, she confirmed that should I go ahead with the next dose it would be reduced again due to the continued infections and low immunity even after having the injections. I would have to delay to finish my antibiotics and also have a line put in. The oncologist also said after 5 doses I had already had almost all of the benifit chemo could give in my situation and that more toxicity would most likely place me in hospital so I decided on this basis to decline the last treatment. I have agreed to radio as she strongly recommended it due to the size of my tumor even though it may damage my implant..but that can be replaced. I feel happy that I have made the right choices for me and feel a weight has been lifted off my shoulders for now and I can concentrate on feeling better.
Jemma has sent e mails today and sounds like shes having a ball ..and well deserved too xx
Best wishes for your treatments this week heres hoping SE are a bit easier xxxx
gmc

Happy Birthday Sheryl -hope you have a good day without too many bone pains. I do agree that you have a clearer head on Tax . Sounds like you have had some lovely gifts. I don't know Careys Manor spa in the New Forest. Have you been before and if so is it somewhere you'd recommend?

So far my feet and bone pains have been no-where near as severe as same time last session so really hoping the 20 % reduction in the dose is suiting me better.

Linda, hope you cope OK at work. It is truly awful that they can make you redundant when you are going through so much right now. Good luck with oncologist meeting . Hopefully you've heard from your daughter on holiday and can relax knowing she's having a good time and being looked after too.

Carol- you have my sympathies with your tax experience.Hope the meds make it easier for you this time round.

Ruth - you've had such an awful time with your stomach probs that it's a delight to hear that it is so much better for you on Taxol. It will be so good for you to build your strength up now. If I'm reading this in the right context SE I believe is short for side effects.

Have a good day ladies, Best wishes Gill X

fowey

Hello Everyone,

I am reading you all talking about treatment that I don't know anything about ! I

am now on 12 x weekly doses of Taxol, but I don't know what is meant by SE? Also I am only on one tablet following this treatment for 2 days, then the rest of the time I don't take anything? I am so much bette ron this weekly Taxol treatment, now eating normally and resumed normal life, compared to the 3 months I spent as a hermit near a toilet whilst on Fec.

I have Taxol number 4 tomorrow, then can come home and say I am now a third of the way through my chemo as it will be 8 doses to go. I think I will find 5 weeks of Radiotherapy overwhelming through, when that begins in October.

Keep your peckers up ladies ! Love Ruth xx

Sodastream

Thanks Carol. I've just opened my presents. I got a new bed which my husband constructed yesterday, some pandora charms, a reflexology treatment, a nights stay in Careys manor spa in the new forest, a speaker for my garden so I can listen to music if the sun stays out and some lovely scarves and chocolates. Feeling totally spoilt. X
Sodastream

Thank you Linda for your birthday wishes. Was up early as was excited about opening my presents but also bone pain is starting to kick in. I was lucky and had 3 days of no side effects with the tax and it was nice not feeling queasy like I did with the FEC. I'm also finding with the tax I've got a clearer head with no chemo brain and good energy levels but that might change over the next few days.
My 16 year old son went on holiday in June to south of France with his friends and his friends dad. Although it was sad to see him go I was so relieved he'd got a holiday this year as we'd had to cancel ours. His friends dad was great and sent me a daily email to keep me informed and was really witty so it cheered me up each day. Hopefully you'll get the same from your daughter.
Can't believe you have to take the extra burden of being made redundant on top of all your treatment. Have you sought advice from anyone as they are unable to treat you differently because of your illness and if there are no other grounds for redundancy then you could have a case (not that you'd probably have the energy to fight it!!!).
Will look forward to hearing how your oncologist appointment goes. Sheryl x
Cassa

Happy Bithday Sheryl, gave a lovely day x
Cassa

Cassa

Good Luck at work today Linda, hope it goes ok for you also with your oncologist later today, my next Tax is on Wednesday I saw my oncologist on Friday who has prescribed extra steroids and advised to take ibuprofen and paracetamol but expecting the worst after last time !! I found the Tax worse than the Fec I'm afraid, but not everyone is the same. You daughter will have a super time try not to worry she will be back before you know it, take care Cassa / Carol xx
wax2014

Happy birthday Sheryl , hope you have a SE free day.
Ladies how are you all doing ? Are the se any easier with tax or just different ?
I'm off to oncologist this afternoon to discuss next move regarding 6 th dose, taking hubby for moral support.
Spent yesterday teary as daughter flew off on holiday for a fortnight with her best friends family , the longest shes been away before was brownie camp for the weekend! I feel like I've lost my right arm, shes growing up so I'll have to get used to it...
Back to work this morning and feel awkward about it as the other two girls I work with aren't being made redundant..I need to go and carry on as normal hoping that the bosses will slip up somewhere so I can make a claim, but knowing my luck they'll be crafty and get away with it !!
Have a good day all and I'll post later how I get on with oncologist. Linda xx
Sodastream

Morning ladies. Pleased to report that my first Doxetaxol went well yesterday. No allergic reaction and I did feel a little sick but I think it was more physiological and I found the smell of the hospital towel and conditioner overbearing which brought back memories of feeling sick after FEC so next time I'll take my own towel and conditioner and put some vick up my nose.
Have woken up today with no side effects touch wood and have already been for a walk to feed my friends cats and to sainsburys to buy a nice steak for tonights tea (boost my red cell count and iron). The doctor has now put me on 5 days of Lenograstim injections and on day 5 I need to take 7 days of ciprofloxacin antibiotics on top of the phenoxymethylpenicillin I am on continually throughout chemo. They're obviously not taking any chances and have decided I've taken up enough hospital beds this year already.
Hope everyone else are free of side effects and make the most of this glorious sunny today before hurricane Bertha hits us tomorrow. Sheryl x
fowey

Hi Sodastream,

I hope your next treatment goes well and many happy returns for Monday, I hope you have a nice day and get spoilt 🙂 It was on my birthday back in March that I had to ring for my biopsy results.

Its good you are getting support from a psychologist, mental support has not been offered to me at all, although Iain Rennie a local cancer support group ring me once a fortnight to see how I am doing, my doctor gave them my info. I am also lucky that I have a great network of pals who have been my rock throughout along with my daughters and husband, my close family ar eon their knees coping with all that is going on with our poorly parents at present. I am a bit bemused by one pal who has been a good friend for 23 years, she has just stopped contacting me altogether...I guess some people just cannot cope with the big C and the ongoing treatments, but I am finding it very hurtful and not sure what to do about it?

I hope everyone else is doing ok and that you all have a nice weekend 🙂

Love xx Ruth xx

Sodastream

Ladies so sorry to hear all the grief that you've had in your lives this year and agree that stress can work in mysterious ways. I can remember when I was 30 I bought diaries for myself and two best friends and we agreed when we were 50 we would go on a weekend break and laugh at how our lives had changed. However one of my friends was diagnosed with cervical cancer that year and needed a hysterectomy and then her mum got breast cancer and she ended up burning her diary saying she never wanted to look back on that year. I feel we might all be thinking that too.
I saw the physcologist today and she was great, we built up a good relationship and she was amazed at how strong I was and dealing with it all so well. She said there were two ways of getting through this by being robust or resilient and she said I was definitely resilient which was a good attitude. I accept the knocks and allow myself to go down with them but I do get up and I adjust and accept things will be different and then get on with it. She asked how I was getting through chemo so well and I said I think it was because I planned for it. I write the first week off and listen to my body resting when I need to but still doing the things I want to do, ie if the washing needs hanging out I time it tat I do it before a good tv program and then sit down for an hour to watch tv before moving on to my next job. The second week I start building in more activities and meeting with friends and in my third week I plan a short trip to visit family which gives me something to look forward to.
I have my first doxetaxol tomorrow and hope it will be kind to me. It's my birthday on Monday so I've ordered a new bed to be delivered tomorrow and thinking positive if I end up in bed all weekend and on my birthday then at least I can appreciate my present more.
Good luck to everyone else having chemo tomorrow and for those that ave had it this week I hope your side effects reside and you start to feel better. Sheryl x
wax2014

Blumin heck Ladies..we've all been through the ringer this year ..if he exists up there he's the only one who understands why our resolve is tested in this way! This is the first ever time I've said "Roll on Christmas" !!! Come the new year I'll be the first to raise a glass to us all.xx