62307members
328013posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting chemo October 14

Re: Starting chemo October 14

Good luck tomorrow Julie. It is nice that there are lots of us on here but sad too that so many of us are going through this. Good luck to everyone and let's try to keep each other as positive as we can be xxx💓

got my pre chemo chat tomorrow - xmas is on the list of my many questions! I'll update tomorrow

Thanks Salkei for the reassurance - nice to hear that you had a glass on xmas day.

lovely that the forum is busy - sounds bad sorry, as I think we're really going to need some hand holding going forward and somewhere to vent!

Hope those that started today are doing well, and those that are having a tough time feel better very very soon. Thinking of you all xx

Thanks Junash for the image of me being on the great british bake off it made me laugh and I will watch myself tonight with pride.

It seems we are gathering in numbers which is sort of sad but good to know we can support each other.

I think Xmas is going to be an issue for a few of us but what will be will be, as long as we stay positive x

I start either next Thursday or Friday. When I worked out the dates I found that Christmas day or Boxing day are scheduled days. I can't imagine them doing it on Christmas Day. What happens in this case? Does anyone know? Elaine x

Talking about being dunked Xmas week, this happened to me last year i had my 4th dunk on Monday 23rd December, i still had a couple of glasses of bubbly on Xmas day and cook the dinner! The only difference for us was stopping too many visitors so that i couldn't come into contact with any coughs/colds.

Look upon each dunking as a means to an end, each one takes you closer to the finish, my life was run on 3 week cycles for those few months!

Sally x

I'm going to be starting chemo in the next few days too, I find out the date tomorrow. I'm having 20 weeks of FEC-T and then radiotherapy for five weeks.

It's nice to meet others in the same situation, please let me know how it goes? Good luck!

Hi Junash. I know what you mean. I can't believe it's happening to me. I'll happily listen to your moans. It'll be good to have someone who knows what I'm going through. We just have to think about it as the road to health I think. Good luck for Tuesday. I'm starting on Thursday or Friday. I have my pre assessment on Wednesday so I'll know for sure then. Keep in touch. Xxx

Hi Lainie, same a me - 3 FEC & 3 T starting on Tuesday 30th. Tension is building by the minute but am thinking the sooner it comes the sooner I'll be through this part of the treatment. I'm more then happy to listen to the moans - am feeling that I'll be moaning as well. Scary stuff isn't it. Still get a jolt that it's happening as I feel so well - really surreal. Julie x

Hi everyone. I just saw the oncologist and my chemo starts next week. I'm having 3 fec then 3 tax. Feeling really scared just now. I hear these monthly threads are really supportive. It will be good to have others to talk to who really understand how I'm feeling. I have a lovely family and lots of great friends but I don't think they'll really get it and I don't want to be constantly moaning at them about it. Hope you can all take the moaning instead lol . Xx

Hi everyone still not feeling well I've had a headache for 2days and still feel very sick and lethargic.trying to make an effort but it's hard to just get up from the sofa.I know a lot of people don't have these reactions so I hope it's different next time.

Doh and thanks to sam as well - mwah

Thanks Mel and Sue ( Sorry great British bake off comes to mind😉) thanks for the reassurances about xmas - got myself into a quick low moment but I feel better now ((hugs))

Nel and those starting today, sending you best wishes. Love to all xx

hi Nel sorry u had a bad night. hope it goes ok for u today. let us no later how it went.
zelda hope u r feeling better today. good duck anyone else having treatment today. suexxx

Ladies when I had FEC chemo I seemed to be fine for at least 4 days after chemo. I always drove to & from there myself coz I was there longer coz of the cold cap and to be honest I enjoyed the quiet time, I actually got to read a book !!! Just make sure you drink loads of water to flush the drugs through your body & take your anti sickness meds whether you need them it not so if you do have a chemo booked right before Xmas you should be ok for Xmas day xxxxx
Sam 💕

hi Junash

My chemo schedule will meen I have chemo on the 24th December and asked at om onc appointment if it could be changed but she said it would meen I should be fine for Xmas but not sure how it works.  Think by Xmas we should have a good idea how we will be affected hopefully we will all sail through the whole thing.

Good luck and loads of hugs who start treatment this week x

Highlighted
Nel

Hi all its 4.42 in the morning and I start my chemo today 24th September. Haven't slept a wink and I am goona be shattered tomorrow.  Had my pre assessment yesterday 23rd and was feeling very upbeat as they gave me a tour of the department and where I will be having my  treatments.  But now just feel so sick and a bit anxious. 

Gutted, just got sent my chemo schedule - have one December 23rd - my sons 11th birthday which I'm also assuming will mean Christmas day may be a sick day? Feel sad for my boy :-(

Murphy, I hear you!!!!!

Zelda Mage sure you ask for emend if you haven't been given it this time, they don't always give it to you coz it us more expensive but they will do.
Murphy, good luck for tomorrow, just think like us, this time next year this will all be behind you, none of our group can really believe what has happened to us but we are all still here and doing really well
Sam xxxx

Thanks ladies, will post tomz and let you know how it went. You know I'm sitting here thinking this is a dream, ME having chemo, only other people have chemo!!!!

Love and hugs xxx

Good luck for tomoz murphy fingers crossed for u xx

MURPHY good luck tomorrow.

Sue - are you going for a Picc line? I was firstly having a power port but consultant decided Picc as he ultrasound my arm and found a good vein - also he said port leaves a scar on chest - erm hello one more small scar really wouldn't have mattered.

Hope those that are feeling rough had a better day today. x

hi Julie yes that does help i only had one node involved so that explains it . thank u.
MuRPHY i really hope it goes well for u tomorrow let us no how u get on.
ZELDA sorry u r going through rough time with it. hope things settle down for u. hope every one else is ok. suexxx

Hi sue - thank you for the welcome. My breast surgeon suggested CT and Bone scan as a matter of course before chemo. Usually she said she orders scans if more than 4 nodes involved but as pathology only found 6 nodes and 3 affected thought both scans would put my mind at rest. Re. the Picc line - yes my veins are very deep apparently so finding them is a faff and not always successful so Picc line will be so much easier. It was a 10 minute procedure, not painful at all. Has to be keep dry at all times, so got an attractive sleeve to wear in shower and I have to flush it once a week which is easy. Hope that helps. Julie x

Good morning ladies, I've been to the unit this morning and my chemo is going ahead tomorrow at 2.30 - yikes!!!!!!!!! My appointment was with the pharmacist, I've got my emend tablets, 1 to take an hour before chemo and the other two to take thu and fri morning. She said I'll get another two or three concoctions to help me too so fingers crossed I'll be ok. So sorry to hear you've been so I'll zelda, I hope you feel better soon. Let us know how you're getting on xx

Debtex, that's a shame you might miss your daughters event. You never know though, you may be really lucky on the se front. I'm frantically trying to drink as much water as possible today hoping it's going to help a bit tomorrow. Hope you like your new hair cut, mine is shoulder length so I won't be doing anything to it until it starts coming out.

I had a lovely foot massage at the unit today and have booked another session for my next pre chemo Tuesday. Oh and I'll be having my heart scan on Friday. I had an ECG last month before my op and everything was fine so oncol was happy for me to have first chemo before the scan.

Next stop this morning was my GP surgery. I got a letter on Friday to say I was due smear test so checked with my BCN and she said to have it before chemo so they squeezed me in this morning. Fingers crossed that comes back clear, that would just finish me off!!!

I'm prattling on, off to have some lunch then take my dogs out for a good wander. Jack is 15 yrs and Murphy is 8 months.

Speak soon, love to all xxxx

Hi zelda, just to re introduce myself, I'm a Oct optimist from 2013. Just to let you know, I was vomiting for 13 hours after my first few. You get to know how to handle this the second time round. I found drinking water after being dunked was impossible, however I drink 2 litres a day and have done everyday for 5 year. So I recommend that in between treatments I would drink as much as possible. Also drinking flavoured water is sometimes doable. When I left the hospital after my first treatment they told me not to my anti sickness for over 12 hours. However that went out the window the second time, I told them as soon as that feeling crept in. As it's easier to prevent it than to treat it. (if you know what I mean ). Like I say this is only my experience but hope it helps. Sarah x

Feeling very ill since I had the first Fec I was very sick could not even keep water down let alone any tablets, had to call the district nurse out in the early hours for a sickness injection Still sick this morning and still have a bad headache .Hope things slowly improve good job my husband had the day off today.

Hi everyone , good luck tomorrow murphy , hope it goes well . I'm not far behind you starting on Friday . Having my hair cut later and have booked in for a look gd feel better session too ! I'm supposed to be going to a horse show as my daughter is competing the day after chemo .. Not sure that's goin to happen.... if I can't go my non horsey husband will go with her helped out by some of my horsey friends and I will have to text instructions . ! Bit sad that might have to miss occasions like this for a while. Really nice of the ladies from last year to get in touch with some positive support thanks so much and well done for getting through treatment . Hugs to everyone xx

Re: Starting chemo October 14. Hello

Morning ladies.   Hi Zelda hope u r not suffering to much this morning let us no how u r later.                                Hi Julie u r very welcome to join our gang .  I'm sue 52 4 kids and 1 grandson and live in Southampton. Hope u dont mind me asking u a couple of questions. I had scan and like u was clear just wondered did u ask for bone scan or did they suggest it. It hasn't been mentioned to me.  Also did they put pics line in because of problems with your veins. I have preasement on Friday and start chemo on the 10th. Good luck to anyone having treatment today. If up to it let us no later how your feeling. Suexxx

Starting chemo October 14. Hello

Hi everyone, just joined the September group but realised I should be here with you as my 1st chemo is sept 30, so I'm more oct than sept. Hope you don't mind me joining. Bit of background - has single mastectomy end of aug, 3 out of 6 lymph nodes affected, chemo and rads needed. Had my picc put in today and also got my CT scan results as clear today -, phew. Bones scan tomorrow - non stop fun. Looking forward to being part of the gang for support to each other and also having a whinge :-) - I'm 49, mum of 1 and live in kent. Julie x

hi zelda.
hope u get a good nights sleep. make sure u drink loads of water they say it really helps. let us no how u r in the morning. suexxx

Hi Ladies I had my first FEC chemo today so I will be going over to the October thread.The infusion went smoothly come home with a bag full of different tablets, now about 4 hrs later feel very light headed and have aching legs also feel sick. So off to bed early for me and will see what tomorrow brings.

Lovely to hear from the 2013 October Optimists!  Thank you all for dropping in when we are all fretting about the start of our chemo.  Good to know you are doing well and planning Spa days x

Hi I'm an October 13 girl just popping in to send you all love. This time last year I was only a week away from my first chemo, now I'm two weeks away from meeting up with some of the wonderful ladies I met on this forum. This is a brilliant forum - use it, there are no silly questions, and a lot of support from your new friends. Now I'm back at work full time and my hair is getting cut on Friday. It's scary but not as bad as you may think with the support from everyone on here. Xxxx

Hello ladies,

Just been reading all your messages for the day and hope you all had a good weekend.

I called the hospital this morning regarding my heart scan as I didn't want a delay for chemo date (1st oct), they said I would probably get it on the Monday when I go for my pre-assesment and not to worry, easier said than done.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way not to pile the pounds on while going through treatment, I have a feeling if I loose my hair and get fat I will look like Matt Lucas (no offence Matt).

This is going to be a long week waiting for the circus to begin but it is good that we are all their for one another x

Murphy1963, don't worry about Xmas, your chemo unit should manage you get you in with plenty of time so Xmas day comes & your side effects are minimal. If you are having 3 FEC first try & get your ore Xmas chemo at least ten days before Xmas as that way your side effects will have gone in time for you to enjoy Xmas as usual xxxxxx 🎄

Hi ladies

So sorry to see you having to go through this, can i echo what Sarah & Sam have said, i too am an October Optimist from last year and it does seem a dim and distant memory now.

Its not an easy path to go down but it is doable, i was out driving the day after chemo and doing all the things i normally did unless my body told me to slow down. That is definitley the key - listen to your body and drink loads of water it really does help fluish the drugs through!

Do as we did and set up a Facebook page, there you can post pics, we all did of the various stages of hair loss and re-growth and you can ask each other all those (what you may thinkg at the time) are silly little things,  but having others going through it with you is a great help.

Please feel free to message me if you have any questions that i can help with. You will all get through this, it is the fear of the unknown that gets you to start with.

Love and hugs

Sally

Hi sue,mi phoned first thing this morning and left message on answer machine. Someone phoned me back and said they have a cancellation in radiography on Friday 26th (my original appoint was mon 29th). I said that was still after my chemo was due to start. She said to come up tomorrow for my planned day before chemo appoint with oncol and see what they say. Some docs will let you start chemo a few days before you have the scan she said, it's just up to the individual, otherwise my chemo will get put back to next wed (1 oct). I am really really disappointed, it so work in with things to have it this week (the main thing being Xmas as I have a 9 year old).

I know what you mean sue about feeling scared but better at the same time when you get your date for starting. I was exactly the same, just wanted to get started now.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. Thank you very much to Sam for passing on your experience to those of us starting out on this blinking journey. It's great to hear from folk who have come out the other side.

Will let you know the outcome tomorrow of my appointment. Fingers and toes crossed please.

Hugs xxxx

Afternoon ladies. I got letter today saying I have preassement on Friday and start chemotherapy on 10th October . Not 100% sure how I'm feeling right now it's like it's really  happening im not going to wake up from this horrible dream. But on the plus side at least I'm no thinking when is it all starting. I hope that makes sence. I haven't had letter about heart scan yet not sure what's happening there might have to chase them your.         MURPHY    How did u get on about your heart scan?  Did u phone hospital?  Let me no what they said if u dont mind. Well that's me. Hope everyone is having a good day in the sunshine. Suexxx

Morning ladies, like Sarah I am also an October Optimist from 2013 although my chemo got delayed and I ended up starting in November so I am also a November newbie 2013. Like Sarah I carried on going throughout treatment with school runs and doing as much as I could. I did stop work the day before my first op, had a WLE & then a full node clearance. Clear margins on my lump and only 1 infected node but they all went. I'm still off work but that is because i am still on half pay and I don't feel ready to go back. I cold capped throughout my Fec & Tax quite successfully, kept most of my hair which at the time was a red bob but now due to some loss I cut it lovely and short and its peroxide white - a new me !
You can all get through this, it can be hard at times but I really had more good days than bad. Please feel free to ask any questions, anything at all. I started a group on Facebook, it was and is a private group so only us woman can see it and you have a bit more freedom to post there. We posted pics of our hair, lack of hair, our wigs which some were hilarious, also compared side effects etc. I can help you set one up if you like. There is also a group on Facebook called Breast Cancer buddies UK which has ladies joining all the time so all at different stages of treatment which can offer all sorts of advice, anyone can join.
A year on from treatment and in less than two weeks time the October group are having a spa weekend, getting to meet each other will be amazing after supporting each other for the past year.
Good luck,
Love Sam xxxxxx

morning Murphy sorry to hear about your heart scan that's the last thing u need is to be delayed like u say uve prepared yourself for that date. i still haven't heard when mine is yet. was looking on line yesterday and they have some lovely scarves with matching scrunchys to keep scarves in place only £6.48. glad your wig shopping went well.
Debtex hi and welcome. sorry that u have to join us with this horrible disease hope we can all b here to help each other. im with u on the aches and pains side of things its very worry at times. good luck with cold cap hope it goes well for u. good luck and hugs for ladies who r starting treatment this week. sue xxx

Good evening ladies, I'm a bit worried, I got my appointment through for my heart scan this morning and it's not till mon 29 sept. My date for starting chemo is 24 sept!!!! I'll need to phone first thing Monday and hope they can change the appointment and fit me in before my chemo, else the chemo will be delayed and I would be so upset as I've psyched myself up for it next week. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Wig shopping today went really well. I've gone for something completely different to my own hair. I didn't want folk I know thinking I was trying to disguise the fact I was wearing a wig, and being uncomfortable about about it. I also got some nice scarfs - like you sue I intend wearing scarfs most of the time. Mel and debtex, I hope the cold cap works for you both, the hair thing hasn't really bothered me all that much, although I'm keeping my fingers crossed I don't loose my eyebrows and lashes.

Jingo, I am really sorry to hear you have already been through so much, as the others have said it definitely puts everything into perspective. I hope we will all be able to support one another through this horrible horrible process. My friends and family just don't get it a lot of the time, so having you ladies here to go through this with and bounce things off is just the best.

Love and hugs xxxx

Hi ladies . I'm starting chemo this coming Friday eek ! I'm 51 married with a 13 yr old daughter a dog and a welsh pony which I share with my daughter . I found my lump by accident 1.5 cm grade 3 hormone pos . Clear nodes but needed 2nd op for margins (lumpectomy ) I normally work full time but currently off sick although will work from home if I can during chemo . Can't wait to start chemo as every ache and pain worries me at mo ! I also have rheumatoid arthritis and can't take my normal meds so that's flaring up too ! I'm hoping the steroids and chemo drugs will zap that for a whole too ! I usually take a low dose chemo drug once a week via injection so I wonder if the fect will be a stronger version if that . Going to try cold cap but as I have v long thick hair I'm going to get it cut first . I'm going to keep the hair as my friend does hair extensions and I may be able to re use it later ...bizarre ! I hope we can all become good pals and support each other . Love , and best wishes to you all x

Hi
Here's a link to some abbreviations which may help:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/glossary

Best wishes
Lucy BCC

Afternoon

Sue I have to agree with you Jingo has been through the wars and it does put everything into perspective.

This forum is a godsend as we can talk to people who understand what we are feeling and I feel like all I talk about at home is the "C" word and nobody understands.

I am 47 with one daughter (24) and three stepsons (32, 29 and 22) also three grandchildren (4, 4, and 10mnths) these keep me strong.  The granddaughters both four are facinated with my scar and as for the presethis or softies these are just amazing, got to laugh at them.

Also could do with a list of what all the abreviations are, I struggle with texts from the kids x

hi jingo you r more than welcome to join are group. im going to b very honest with hope u don't mind. I've read your post and it brought me to tears. u have been through so much and still have more to deal with. i no we r all different but it put it into perspective what im going through. i take my hat of to for battling on with this horrible disease. im 52 with 4 kids andl one grandson. im not clued up on all the abbreviations so bare with me not great at spelling either lol. I've had lumpectmy mine was 3.5mm but had cancer in one lymph node hence chemo and rads . got infection in wound and have to have heart scan so im not starting chemo just yet but told will b Oct. hope we can all help each other here. sue xxx

Hello All,

Hope you don't mind me joining in.  I am due to start chemo in October after a delay.  Diagnosed with invasive lobular cancer on 9th July which didnt show up on mammograms, also in my lymph nodes so had mastectomy  with temporary implant and axillary node clearance on 24th July.  Unfortunately the wound didn't heal and the implant wanted to escape, so had to come out.  In the meantime was diagnosed with an invasive ductal cancer in my other breast found by accident on an MRI so had more surgery on 5th Sep.  In addition I have now found out I have a bone met in my sacrum, so gone from a clear mammogram in June to stage 4 in the space of 3 months.

My lobular tumour was 150mm (yes thats not a typo), ER+ and HER-, 2/31 nodes involved. My invasive ductal was only 7mm and ER+, but HER+, no node involvement so not sure what chemo I will be given yet.

Was scared about chemo as most people are, but even harder to face now when I know it has already spread.

I am 49 and have 3 kids 17,16 and 5.

I have met some lovely ladies on the secondaries/bone mets forum which has helped me start coming to terms with my long term prognosis, but would love to be in contact with you all as we go through our treatment.  Good luck and lots of love to all of you! 

Thanks Zoe. Good luck with the treatment.

hi Murphy. Glad there is someone my own age no offence ment to the younger ladies. im 52 got 4 kids 31, 31, 28 ,25 and a adorable 6year old grandson. no pets but hubby buy's treats 4 the 3 cats that live next door so they spend a lot of time in our garden lol. i thought i would be starting chemotherapy about same time as u but got to have heart scan first. im not sure yet about how a feel about a wig. se how i go there r some lovely scarfs around so might stick with them. not sure how my grandson is going to react so far we've only said that I've been poorly and bless him he's been great with it all. it broke my heart when one day after my opp when he said Nanny where does it hurt ill kiss it better. anyway im going on now. let us no how wig shopping goes. take care everyone have a good weekend. suexxx

Morning ladies

Murphy can you let us know how the wig shopping goes, I am due to go and pick one on the 30th but hoping I won't need it.  I am thinking of trying the cold cap but after reading up on it I get the impression your hair (if it stays) can thin on the top and I have fine hair to start with, so think wig may be needed.

Going to go for a short drive today as I have not driven may car since I had my mx and it is killing me that it is just sat in the garage.  Getting a bit stare crazy as the weather here in the northeast is so bad I can't even get out for a walk.

Hope all you lovely ladies have a good weekend x