346150posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting chemo October 14

Highlighted

Re: Starting chemo October 14

I've got my pre-chemo chat tomorrow and chemo Friday - good luck to everyone else who starts this week. Xx
Highlighted

Oh my, i have my pre chemo next friday and imagined it was a bit of a pep talk and easy going walk through....seems I'm being sooooo naive 😞 Please will one of you lovely ladies put me out of my misery and give me the low down on what to expect? I'm needle phobic but have talked myself into believing i will cope with all the bloods, injections and chemo....but now I'm not so sure (needed sedation for the biopsies). Got my 1st chemo bloods first thing tomorrow, so it's under starters orders!!! 😞
Highlighted

Enjoy Mel x
Highlighted

Enjoy your afternoon Mel xx
Highlighted

Mel have a lovely afternoon tea and enjoy the cocktails - perfect day for it. forget about all this for a while and go and chill xx
Highlighted

Morning everyone Smiley Happy

Happy birthday Lainie for last week. I am just reading all the chat and there is so much to take in, everyone is going through such a tough time.

Off for afternoon tea with a twist (cocktails - I hope) with a good friend so I guess this is my pre chemo meal.  Trying to get ready and put a bit of make-up on but suddenly burst into tears thinking about pre chemo visit tomorrow, I really need to pull my self together.

Think I will ask about a pic line as I really don't like needles.

Hope everyone stays strong this week and we will get through this.

Highlighted

Hi Junash. Glad you enjoyed your pre chemo dinner. I did the same with friends on Thursday. It was also my birthday so I got some pressies too lol. We had a lovely dinner and then went out for cocktails. It was great to be able to talk to and laugh with my fab pals for a wee change. X
Highlighted

Hi Zoe. I have the BRCA1 gene and I had a double mastectomy with reconstruction and it wasn't as bad as I expected so if you test positive it's not as terrible as you might think.

Chook I'm so sorry you can't have chemo. I know how you'll feel about that but the fact that the cancer hasn't spread to your nodes is at least a big positive. The chances are high that there is nothing left behind and you never have another problem with it.
Elaine xx
Highlighted

Hi Chook,

I'm so sorry that you can't have chemo. That and RT are the only weapons in our arsenal aren't they? The positive thing is your nodes were clear, like mine. We have to pray nothing is lurking. Hopefully they will monitor you in more detail. How did it go with the shadows on your spine, has that been sorted? I'm having the flu jab on Wednesday and my chemo starts on Friday all being well. Had my heart scan yesterday so I hope that's ok. I am being referred to cancer genetics but I haven't had an appointment yet. They did say it will take ages. Hoping that I don't carry the gene, especially for my mums sake (she's only 56) but she has yearly mammograms and is ok so far and I've been nagging her to check herself regularly 🙂 But, if I do they'll both have to come off, simple as that!

Take care xx
Highlighted

Hi sue, got my sleeve from boots £4.99 - basically a bin bag with elastic at either end but it works a treat - keeps picc line totally dry. The doctor who inserted the line said cling film around the arm works but do try and get the sleeve - much simpler. I'm so happy to have the line as the thought of trying to find veins each time for chemo would have been a real drag as I've always had hidden veins.

Chook sorry about the chemo butI'm sure RT will do its job - how msny blasts are you having?

Hope everyone enjoying their weekend - I'm just back from a pre chemo dinner with girl friends - a few glasses of champers but thsts me now on the wagon for a little while. Going to start getting hydrated for Tuesday.

Night all xx
Highlighted

Ahh that is great Deb, I live in Handforth & had my chemo at Macclesfield General bit radiotherapy at the Christie. Everyone I have met I'm the last year has been fantastic xxxxxx
Highlighted

Yes I'm pleased to say so ! It's very busy and I had a long wait yesterday BUT they are just fantastic and I trust them . Nothing is too much trouble and they don't rush you . The added extras such as the wig service ,macmillan etc are superb x
Highlighted

Debtex are you being treated at the Christie ? I had my radiotherapy there. They were wonderful xxxxxx
Highlighted

Hi chook and Zoe have ur flu jab either b4 chemo or in the 3 rd wk when ur a on the up again . It won't do u any harm before that but won't be as effective . U won't want the hassle either ! This is my advice from b c nurse at Christies
Highlighted

Hi Zoe
I'm confused about the flu jab too!
I'm going to ask next week as I'm seeing a haematologist, oncologist, my gp and spine doctor...........thinking if I ask them all I might get an answer !!
K x
Highlighted

Debtex so glad to hear you're doing well. Hope that continues. Sue I had my heart scan yesterday and it was no problem. Really easy. Dreading my pre chemo appointment. Everyone seems to be stressed after it. It just makes it so real I suppose. I've had a few down moments since I saw the oncologist on Wednesday. Same thing I think. Suddenly I feel like a chemo patient. Keep well everyone and keep us posted on how you're doing xxxx
Highlighted

Hi Zoe
As your bc is triple negative, have you been referred for the brca gene mutation testing?
I have had the paperwork through and I go for the counselling and bloodwork on Tuesday. I think the results can take up to 8 weeks but I think I need to know everything about this for the sake of my sister and daughters.
I know it's something else to think of !!!.
Take care
K x
Highlighted

Oh Barbara I am sorry to hear that.
It looks like I won't be having Chemo. My bone marrow is hypocellular and only working at 15% and therefore too dangerous to have chemo. I'm gutted. I've had 3 bone marrow biopsies all saying the same. As much as I understand all your fears for chemo, I really wanted to throw everything at this bloody disease and fight it. I'm 40 with three children and I feel I have a lot of years to protect. I'm triple negative and so chemo is my only adjuvant treatment. Ive had my scanning for RT and due to start that in a couple of weeks but I can't help feeling left out in the cold. Obviously we are all scared of a little tinsy, winsy micro cell hiding somewhere and chemo is the drug to flush that away right?.......I'm afraid I'm going to be looking over my shoulder, aware I'm not on a level playing field should the bugger turn up to play again!!!!!
Highlighted

Hi Julie    I came out of pre chemo chat feeling shattered my head was pounding with all the information to take in. Had blood test and they checked my veins . Apparently they are rubbish so I will b having pics line put in. Was told to buy sleeves from Boots does anyone no if u can get them from doctors surgery?                    Having heart scan on 7th Oct AT  7PM yes 7PM and we don't drive we don't live to faraway but will have to get taxi. Hope everyone not to bad.  Suexxx

Highlighted

Debtex thanks for the update - so pleased you're feeling well - long may it continue. Keep us posted! Hope everyone is feeling good today. Julie x
Highlighted

Hi ladies had a good night sleep so far so good . If your having ur chemo and cold cap next week please don't be scared . The fear was worse than the reality for me . Top tip ...... Wee as much as u can before u are hooked up my only discomfort was wanting to wee an hour in . Best of luck to those starting next wk xx
Highlighted

Hi Kerena. Sorry to hear about all the uncertainty with your diagnosis. Hope you hear soon. It must be awful waiting for that. Fingers and toes crossed and hugs to you xxx
Highlighted

Hi. Just realised I forgot to mention family. I'm married with 3 sons 23, 20 and 17. Debtex hi. Hope you're ok after your chemo today. Let us know how you're getting on. You can have a good moan at all of us and no doubt we'll all do the same. Xxx
Highlighted

Hi ladies just back from chemo .had the cold cap ... It better bloody work ! Hope everyone ok xx
Highlighted

Hello all, I'm Kerena, 49 married and with three sons 17, 16 and 5.  Supposed to be enjoying a career break when I was diagnosed on 9th July - same as Petra.  First diagnosis was invasive lobular ER+, HER- , had a mastectomy and node clearance finding a whopping 15cm tumour, also in 2/31 lymph nodes (none of which had shown up on my mammogram!).  A few weeks later had a second diagnosis in my other breast of invasive ductal 7mm ER+, HER+ (also didn't show on mammogram) and had WLE and sentinel node biopsy.

Like Petra I have been delayed due to tests and scans and 'something on my bone' (and two lots of surgery), 3 weeks ago it was confirmed that I did have a metastasis to the bone, but since then I have been told they are not 100% certain.  Have not done a bone biopsy, so now I am living with this huge uncertainty about whether I am stage 4 or not.  Currently still going ahead with chemo on 6th Oct, FEC-T, but that might change at the last minute.

Keen to get on with it, but right now I wish I could just know if I am stage 4 or not.

Highlighted

About me for any new members
I'm Celia age 56 married with three grown up children of which two live at home and 2 dogs I live in the Staffordshire Moorlands. A routine mammogram revealed calcifications which led to clear biopsies . How ever after a partial mastectomy and reconstruction the area examined was found to be a small area of invasive cancer. The cancer tested for HER 2 pos and Grade 3. which means it was very aggressive.Fortunately the lymph nodes were clear.But because of the nature of the tumour I have am having FEC D Herceptin and radiation.I had the first Fec this week which made me very sick and has taken about 3days to recover from Its going to be a long journey for us all glad we can support each other.xx
Highlighted

About me:

Julie, 49, married with a 10 year old son and a 23 year old step son. I live in Sevenoaks, Kent and work Iin London at a US law firm. Diagnosed with IDC, 3 tumours in one breast, differing grades and some DCIS in the other - ER+/PR+ Her2-. Mastectomy with recon in 1 boob 6 nodes out, 3 positive. Biopsy in other boob. Chemo starting sep 30th FEC-T 6 rounds. Reduction in remaining boob to match implant boob and then 5 weeks of Rads. Bone/CT Scsn came back clear. That's me xx
Highlighted

Well Peta I might as well jump on the wagon:

Name Melanie, age 47, married to Terry for ten years, 4 children one daughter and three step sons, two grandaughters and one grandson. Live in County Durham.

Diagnosed middle of August with grade 2 invasive ductal cancer, 3 out of 11 lymph nodes were possitive, ER and Her2 positive.

Masectomy on 26th August.

Start fec-t on 1st October (6 rounds) then 18 rounds of herceptin.

Today I am ok but probably have a bit of a wobble on Monday when I need to go for my pre chemo visit.

We will get through this together x

Highlighted

Hi Peta. Nice to hear from you. We're starting on the same day. Scary isn't it. I'll tell you a little about me and how I got here. My name is Elaine and I live in Glasgow. I'm 49. I tested positive for the BRCA1 gene last year after losing relatives to breast and ovarian cancer. I opted for radical surgery and had a hysterectomy in March and a bilateral mastectomy in July. During the mastectomy a tumour was found in my breast. There was no spread to the lymph nodes. The tumour was triple negative and grade 3 so very aggressive. The mastectomy came at exactly the right time for me so I'm very lucky that the outcome wasn't much worse. Good luck with your chemo Peta. We can swap stories xxx
Highlighted

Does anyone else feel like introducing yourselves a bit? Of course give as much or as little info as you feel happy with. Here's some info about me.

Real name: Peta. Pronounced like Peter but ending with Ta instead of Ter.
Live in Taplow Berkshire, but just moved here from West London
Hospital Charing Cross London.
Age 55
Married to very lovely husband
2 grown up children - mid twenties boy and girl
2.8cm lumpectomy, total node clearance done 6/17 positive, very hormone positive tumour
Diagnosed 9 July 2014
A bit late getting here because they thought I might have secondary cancer on the bone, lots of MRIs and a bone biopsy finally show that I'm clear of bone mets, so can proceed to chemo.

I'm in a very positive frame of mind about this now because I thought I had Stage 4 cancer and then chemo probably wouldn't have been given to me, it would have been too late. So I'm absolutely chuffed to be able to do chemo now and be back in the running and a chance of a cure. 🙂

Over to any other October ladies if you feel like sharing info.
Highlighted

I'm starting chemo on Friday 3rd too Lainie! Eek!

I've got my pre-chemo chat on Monday morning.

I've also got a Flu vaccine booked for Tuesday, which the chemo doc said was fine. I'm also going to have the new Shingles jab too, as apparently you can get shingles if your immune system is down. I'm out of the general age range for it - I'm 55 - but the doc said it was fine to have and they'll give it to you if you explain why.
Highlighted

I have my pre chemo on Wed and start chemo on Friday. Junash I think I'll probably feel same as you after it. I had my heart scan this morning and even that made me feel emotional. It's a scary road we're taking and it's feeling more and more real. Good luck to everyone starting now and Murphy hope you feel better and build up strength for the next one. The sickness must be awful. I'm dreading that. Got my hair cut short today as I don't know whether I can cope with losing my long hair. Somehow it seems like short hair falling out will feel less traumatic. Love to everyone and thank you to the people who are popping in on our thread to offer advice and a bit of hope 💖💖
Highlighted

Hi sue,

Yep i found my prechemo made it real - think thats why I sobbed afterwards!! Felt a bit of a chump sobbing in car park but also felt energised after the tears. Hope it goes well today - let us know how you get on. X
Highlighted

morning everyone prechemo chat today and im so nervous stupid really i no. just think its going to be real after today. good luck anyone having treatment today. sue xxx

Thanks Zoe I will give them a call this morning and see if they can fit me in x

Highlighted

It's not a live vaccine so you won't get a cold. I checked with my BCN who checked with the chemo nurses today and they said it was fine to get the jab before it starts. I'm having my jab next Wednesday and starting chemo Friday. Just mention to the doctors that you need to get it done before chemo. Mine has added a note for the nurse to do it at the same time as my smear test as the flu jab clinic is fully booked for some time. Hope this helps.
Highlighted

Evening ladies.

If I am due to start my chemo on the 1st October am I too late to have a flu jab, does it not give you a mild cold and will that not then delay my treatment.

Lovely to hear from ladies who are through the other side it gives us all hope and comfort.

I got a sort of filo fax from the Macmillan website (came in a few days) and this seems really handy as wou can write all your apointments in it and also your medication.  Think I will need it as I don't seem to remember much at the moment.Smiley Embarassed

If anyone does go onto the Macmillan website (which is great) and orders anything be careful as I ended up with 25 cookbooks, not sure how that happened, will take them back to there shop and appologise x

Highlighted

Thank you Jingo. I have one booked now.
Highlighted

Hello everyone, hope all are doing ok (or as ok as possible)

Prechemo meeting today went well but I got in the car afterwards and sobbed like a baby - think stress building up!

They showed me around suite - very nice and calm place. Took bloods etc. So hopefully am ready to start Tuesday. I mentioned xmas - she said she cant guarantee that I'll be well but imagines that as chemo is happening on dec 23 that maybe I'll be ok - will try for my son!

Told me about all the side effects and then said during sex to use condoms - erm, nauseas, mouth sores, headaches, bone pain, hot flushes, bald, bloated with steroids and with just one boob - sex may not be top of the agenda . Obv all that is worst case scenario but we laughed. annoyingly mastectomy area has some fluid build up so now have to get it drained tomorrow as seeping a little through scar - needs to heal b4 chemo so fingers crossed please as want/need to start!

Love to all and thanks to those who have been through this for popping in - really really reassuring xx
Highlighted

Hello all, just had my start date confirmed as 6th Oct after lots of delays(FEC-T), so a bit scared, but quite keen to get on with it now.  I asked about a flu jab and my oncologist said it was a good idea by the way (ie before treatment starts).

Thank you Louise3721 for dropping by with a few kind words, I think it helps all the newbies to be able to think ahead.

Good luck to all those having treatment this week, and hope others are starting to feel a bit perkier after round one.

Highlighted

Hi ladies came on to your thread by accident. I am on the April thread and thought that i would just let you know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I finish all treatment at end of week i have had a mastectomy 20 weeks of fec and 15 sessions of radiotherapy.

Be kind to yourselves surround yourself with positive people and remember even on the very low days you are not alone (which is sad )

Before you know it you will be on the home straight and looking forward to normality Good luck to you all x
Highlighted

Well done murphy I was wondering how you were . Did you cold cap ? Take care x
Highlighted

Zoe, before I started my chemo last year I did have a flu jab as did my husband & 2 kids. I have just called up to book it in again this year. Your immune system will be very low & you will more than likely pick up colds very easily. After my last chemo I did get a cold which quickly developed into a chest infection. So I would say book yourself in at your doctors for a flu jab, it really won't hurt to have it. I have found myself at the docs in the past year for several things that in normal circumstances I would never had gone for but that is what they are there for.
Sam xxxxxx
Highlighted

Hi Everyone feeling a little better the sickness has subsided a little just so tired,hoping each day will bring a little more strength .
Highlighted

Hi,

I don't know if anyone remembers me, I started this thread.

I just have a quick question if that's ok. My oncologist said I didn't really need to have the flu jab as it's more the bacterial infections they're worried about but it seems a lot of people do. Has everyone here been told to have it. I start next Friday and I'm worried I might be more at risk if I don't.
Highlighted

Hi, had my first fec yesterday. Wasn't as bad as I expected. However felt really sick during the night ( huge thing for me as I have a vomiting phobia). Slept on and off just counting the hours till I can take my next lot of anti sickness drugs. I've got 4 different types so have had to write a list with times etc so I don't muck up.

I feel ok atm but already worrying about the next one. I said to my hubby this morning I'm not going back, I may well not.

Hope zelda and nel are feeling ok today. Good luck to anyone starting today or tom, especially debtex xxx
Highlighted

NanaJane, you definitely don't want to listen to horror stories ! I can't believe someone would tell you bad stuff knowing you are just about to start treatment ?
To put your mind at rest I started my treatment a year ago, i had 3 FEC & 3 Tax chemo plus radiotherapy and i'm still here to tell the tale as are all my other October & November ladies from 2013 ! Yes there will be a few hard days but the good outway the bad and a year on i can honestly say it wasn't that bad and through this forum i made some amazing friends. We are meeting up at a spa hotel next weekend to celebrate getting through this and this will be your group a year from now.
If you have any questions i'm happy to answer them no matter how daft you may think they are, yes Ravelry is correct, we are now hoping to help others going through this experience so please ask away
Love Sam xxxx
Highlighted

Morning everyone, I too start chemo next week and am feeling very scared after some horror tales from one of my colleagues at work.  Not knowing exactly what to expect is the worst of the worries and also coping with my husband's anxieties.  I'm glad to have found this forum so that we can all support each other.  Here is something that I found on the Ravelry (you'll know what that is if you are a knitter!) Knitters with Breast Cancer group page.

“When you first start this journey you join support groups for the support. As you move forward you will give back to the new “sisters” going through this journey. That is how it works. I am sure that I speak for all of us when I say it is our pleasure to hold your hand. We are each eternally indebted to the sisters who held out a hand to us when we started.”

I found this thought very helpful as in the end everything, however difficult or unpleasant, passes and it is that idea which helps the most at present.

Best love to you all.

Highlighted

Hi Nel. I was just reading your post. I hope your chemo was ok. I see you were up all night worrying about it. I think I'll be the same. I can't sleep tonight and that's just after my visit to the oncologist. Let us know how you got on. Xx💖
Highlighted

hi Julie. good luck for tomorrow let us no how u get on.
zelda how r u doing . have things settled down yet.
Nel how r u doing. hope things r not to bad for. there r quite a lot of us now sorry if I've not said hi and welcome to every one. suexxx