345307posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting chemo October 14

Highlighted

Re: Starting chemo October 14

Hi Lainie I've only had one Fec but I just took my appointment card and magazine drinks and food were provided by the hospital. The district nurse is contacted after your treatment and will visit the next day for a total of 5 days to give your injections this happens after every treatment.Hope all goes well for you on Friday.xx
Highlighted

I didn't know we had to have immune boosting jabs. Nobody's mentioned them to me. Ladies who have had their first session, I was just wondering what I should take with me. I've heard people talk about taking snacks or drinks that help. I'm not sure what to take on Friday. Xx
Highlighted

Betty, Is that the neulasta? I'm doing mine tonight - so next day/evening after chemo.

Have you looked at the picc line option - re. Needles? They just hooked me up to saline, then nurse administered chemo drugs through the line. Maybe an option? Hope you and murphy get some help, having this bloody cancer and having phobias on top of this must be bloody awful. Love julie x
Highlighted

Also, does anyone know how often and what part of cycle that the immune boosting jabs are given?
Highlighted

Hi Murphy1963, i think you are doing so well - and Junash, inspiring. Good luck with the hypnotherapist Murphy...I'm looking into that for myself (needles being my issue) and finally good luck to all starting tomorrow and Friday. We can dovthis. Xxx
Highlighted

Hi junash, so glad you are feeling so well. You certainly seem to have the right attitude. Good luck to ladies who start tomorrow, I am sure you will all be fine.

I've got an appointment tomorrow with a hypnotherapist to help with my vomiting phobia. I'm so hoping it'll help me with this huge problem I have.

Head started to get spotty and a bit tender, think this'll be the start of the hair loss.

Love to all xxxxx

Highlighted

Peta good luck friday as well!!'

Been fine today, have been out to shops, got car MOT'd - normal day so far. Just walking up to school to collect son. Hope this lasts, I know down days will come - but making most of up days!!!

Been drinking tons of water and ginger and turmeric tea is my new cappuccino 😄
Highlighted

It's really great to hear that you're doing well Junash, it's very reassuring thank you for posting an update.

I start on Friday too, I'll be thinking of you too Elaine. Good luck everyone!
Highlighted

Hi Julie. So glad you're feeling ok. Hope that continues. I start on Friday. Had my pre chemo this morning so ready to go. I visited the Maggie Centre at the hospital. Fab place. I'm going there tomorrow for my wig. The staff there are brilliant and I talked to one of the counsellors today. He was so lovely. Xxx
Highlighted

Morning all - we really need a name like the September beamers!!

So took my meds before bed, about 9:30. Woke up at 2:30 with cramps but took meds and it stopped very quickly, same again at 5:45. So nothing awful - really kept on top of nausea and feeling good this morning. Will be staying close to home as I know that SE's can come on quite quickly.

I've got to take my emend at 10 which is a fantastic anti sickness drug apparently - had it yesterday in the morning and it saw me through all day.

Tonight I've got my injection for acceleration of bone marrow - neutelrasa - sp?? - I'm doing this here as am ok with self injecting. Nurse recommended Claritin before during and after to control some of the expected bone pain.

So all in all I'm doing good, I know this can come and bite me on the arse at any moment so enjoying an hour at a time.

Good luck today mel.

Elaine when are you starting?

Hope everyone doing as well as they can.

Xx
Highlighted

Well done Junash. I'm glad it went well for you.
Good luck for tomorrow Mel.
Betty I'm glad your dental problem won't delay your chemo. I know how worried you must have been.
Keep well everyone xxx💞
Highlighted

Well done Junash you sound possitive.  Don't forget to get plenty of rest and hope you have a good nights sleep.

Possitive energy is the way forward and we will come out smiling x

Highlighted

Hi wonderful ladies. Tooth out successfully...coped with the injections (i find injections acceptable vs bloods ), no pain at the time just weird having someone twisting and pulling for ages pullibg a tooth out..hope i don't have to do that again. Sore mouth now but bearable on paracetamol.
Oncologist not concerned and my first chemo is next monday....very scary but sooner started, sooner ended i say. Fingers crossed I don't get any further infection in my mouth and it heals presto pronto.
So, next thing for me is the pre chemo session with the nurses...Friday morning.
Brain is numb from all of this, everyone seems to be being sooooo brave and I'm getting more and more anxious. Heyho, tomorrow is another day.
Good luck, hugs and calming thoughts to all. Fingers crossed for some proper sleep tonight xxx
Highlighted

🍀
Highlighted

Well done junash 🌷
Highlighted

I hope you managed to get your tooth sorted today Betty?

My chemo had to be delayed 3 months because of a weird bone thing, but my oncologist said that the wait didn't make any difference, so try not to worry too much, hopefully you can sort it all out with the oncologist tomorrow. Good luck for then and hope you get some sleep tonight.
Highlighted

Good luck tomorrow Mel. I wish we could give you a big hug, it sounds like that might help. Xx

Thanks for the report back Janash, I'm glad it went well today for you. I hope you have a good night's sleep and carry on feeling 'just a bit muzzy', that sounds pretty good to me.
Highlighted

ok thats the first one done - it was actually very relaxing - not scary, we had a little tear (me and hubby) but that was stress buildup. Was fine in two mins. Sat with a cuppa and a sandwich and sucked on frozen fruits as recommended.

Feeling Ok - bit muzzy but to be expected. Am now watching out for any twinge/headache etc. Constant thinking is tiring!

Mel - good luck tomorrow, sorry about the tears but to be expected! I've got wig lady coming over in a week - so will be teary as well.

Thinking about you all who are starting and getting ready to start. We're one day closer to getting through this!!

Much love xx

Will report back tomorrow xx

Afternoon ladies

Sorry to hear all the things you are all going through I hope you all feel better soon or even get a few days of feeling normal (what ever that is).

Went for my wig this morning and was quite up beat about the whole thing till she put on the first one she thought would suit me and I burst  into tears, can't seem to stop them at the moment. Once I calmed down picked a one similar to own colour but a bit longer, hope I never need to wear it though.

First chemo tomorrow and would love a good sleep beforehand but going off the last few months that is not going to happen, as a few of you have already said a good nights sleep is not part of our lives at ther moment.

Good luck and big hugs to all you lovely ladies x

Highlighted

Hi Murphy I'm afraid I feel the same I was sick for two days after first FEC and have felt ill ever since.Now I am already feeling sick at the thought of the next dose.I know it's probably in my head but it's hard not to feel like that.I hope your strength can build up before the next one.xx
Highlighted

Murphy what a horrible time you've had. I hope they can do something for you. I know there's very little that can be done about phobias but maybe they'll come up with something that can work around it? xxx
Highlighted

Hi fellow oct chemo ladies. So sorry I haven't been on since I had my first chemo last week. I've been in hospital from the day after chemo until Sunday (4days). As some of you know I have a vomiting phobia. Got excellent meds sorted out but took a total panic the day after chemo and couldn't eat or drink in case I was sick, so couldn't take my meds. Ended up on Iv fluids for 3 days and got all meds via Iv too. Still struggling to eat but drinking a wee bit more now. Feel so weak though.

My initial reaction last week was I'm not having any more chemo. Spoke to BCN yesterday and she has said I'm to be referred to psychologist and have meds through syringe driver next time, but still doesn't solve prob with not eating or drinking in case I am sick.

Good luck to those who've started your treatment this week. If I didn't have my phobia it would be fine, please try not to worry too much. Love to us all xxxxxx
Highlighted

Hi jingo, we have the same phobia, I'm happy to talk via private message if you're up to it at any time xxxx
Highlighted

Hi sue456, really sorry to hear extra problems on your plate. Do take care xx
Highlighted

Hi Sue. Sorry to hear you have more to worry about. It's bad enough without that. Hope your family problem is resolved soon and you can focus on the chemo.

Betty thanks for your reply re the sleep issue. I hope that we both manage to sleep after the chemo has started and we know more about how it'll affect us. I think it's the unknown that makes me worry. Once it's happening I think you just cope don't you. I was like this before my mastectomy then after it was done I just focused on my recovery. 😊 xxx
Highlighted

Hi Jo_bcc, thanks..i may just do that....i feel such a bothersome burden if i talk to my husband, family and friends and i really don't want to freak them out with my worries....yesterday when it all went a bit pants i felt soooo isolated 😞
Hope everone has a good day - even me and I'm sorry to keep going on, going on! Xx
Highlighted

hi ladies sorry i haven't posted any good luck messages or asked how people r that r having treatment already. but im trying to get through a major family problem noting to do with bc. its very hard when chemo is fast approaching . hope everyone is doing ok. suexxx
Highlighted

Hi ladies,

Sorry to hear that you're both really worrying about your chemo.  Please do give our helpline team a ring, they're here to support you both practically and emotionally through this.  Calls are free 0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Highlighted

Hi LainieG, me too...I'm either struggling to get off to sleep for hours or like now, 'bing' awake and mind fretting 😞 I'm trying not to add this fret to the ever growing list of woes as it would probably make it worse. My husband does shifts, on a 3 week cycle so normally i wouldn't be disturbed when he left at 5am (mornings this week), but here i am on the forum looking for comfort and support 🙂
Thank you all and for the information regarding infections. Tooth coming out at noon, previously planned oncologist appt at 3.30, so will find out delay then. Serious worry that all this delay is allowing bc to spread 😞 😞 😞 I'm also sooooo naive - hadn't even crossed my mind regarding ongoing side effects, being so focused on the bc here and now. This is pants.and I'm tired of it!
Heyho and on we go 🙂 hope you all have a good day and BIG hugs xxx
Highlighted

Is anyone else lying awake at night worrying about the chemo? I know its probably a silly question. No doubt we're all having the same problem. I can't sleep properly because I'm thinking about what's going to happen. My brain won't stop. I'm on medication for another condition and it should help me sleep but even that's not working. Why does everything seem worse during the night? My husband works nights so he's not even here to talk to me and maybe calm me. What do you all do to help you sleep? Xxx
Highlighted

Hi ladies, yes, any infection needs to be treated more seriously while you are having chemo. If you feel off then take your temp, I was told lower than 35 or higher than 37 to then call chemo unit. To be honest you will have a blood test the day before each chemo & this will show if you are good to go for your chemo. In our group quite a lot of ladies ended up delayed by a week due to low neutrophil counts, it can be frustrating but the more treatments you have the less bothered you are by this & I think we enjoyed our extra weeks off as it gave us a bit of 'normal' time.
Even now 5 months after chemo my simple cold has developed into a chest infection & a change in tamoxifen has given me thrush but you just get used to this, I know that sounds odd maybe to you now but our immune systems are going to be compromised for a few years.
Love Sam xxxxx
Highlighted

Bettypoppit sorry to hear of your set back this week.  From what I understand with reduced immunity what would normally be a minor infection can quickly become more serious and so I have been told by my BCN to take my temperature every day and not to ignore things like a sore throat, that we would all probably normally ignore for days before going to see a doctor.

I think that infections are treated quickly with heavy doses of antibiotics and then treatment resumes once you are infection free again, but I don't know what they do about the treatment schedule after that or if they do extra rounds of chemo to make up for delays.

Try not to let it get you down (easy to say I know), sending you love and hugs xx

Highlighted

As an afterthought...and I'm probably being very slow but are simple infections really serious during treatment? Oh my, I'm so tired of all this 😞
Hope everybody is having a better day than me - I'll bounce back tomorrow - just the upset of a set back 🙂
Highlighted

Thanks Debtex and Junash...past the real upset of this morning...just something else to deal with.
Does anybody know what happens if you do get a bad infection during chemo treatment? Does it delay the cycle? If so, does this reduce the efficacy of the treatment? Do they add another one on? Questions, questions, questions. ....?
Highlighted

Betty poppit u poor girl . Hope ur ok xxxx
Highlighted

Betty - just noticed about the dental problem - thats pants - hope you get sorted ASAP

Love to all xx
Highlighted

Good luck for tomorrow Junash. Hope it goes well for you.
So sorry you're gong to be delayed Betty.
Peta my pre chemo is on Wed but I start chemo on Friday with you. What happened at your visit today?
Zelah glad you're starting to feel a bit better. Hopefully you'll be fine for the next one.
Hugs to everyone 😊 xx
Highlighted

Thanks Peta - tomorrow at 10 - will report back when I'm done.

Bettypopit - really worth asking about the picc line - see my messages to Sue, it may be a better option?

Hope all are doing well. I'm drinking gallons of water to keep me hydrated and stocked up on ginger ale, biscuits, etc. xx
Highlighted

You're in on Wed Mel? Good luck, let us know how you get on.

My visit went well today too, they were very friendly and supportive. I'm still nervous for Friday though! Eek!
Highlighted

Thanks Jingox, it's not been offered and 'my' team know all to well what an issue it is (fainted at drs this morning's blood tedt 😞 ) but it's all going pants..went to dentist to get a check and clean and i have a small absess and a tooth needs to come out 😞 this probably means more delay whilst it heals. I'm soooo upset :(. Anyway, hope you're all doing well xx
Highlighted

Had chemo visit and all went well not to scary.  They showed me the cold cap which looks like an implement of torture but I am still going to give it ago.  It is all starting to happen for us all but we can get through it.

Off for wig tomorrow just incase the implement of torture doesn't work Woman Embarassed

Highlighted

Bettypoppit - I just found out that my hospital offers help from a hypnotherapist if you have any phobias - might be worth asking your BCN if she can get you some help with the needle phobia.  My own personal phobia is vomiting so hoping to get some help with that this week before starting chemo next monday!

good luck to everyone for this week x

Highlighted

Junash you're tomorrow I think - I'm jumping ahead a day! Have a good relaxing day today, I'll think of you in the morning.
Highlighted

Good luck today Junash!

I hope it goes really well, let us know how you get on.

Thanks to all the experienced ladies for all the tips and info, it's really helping me to feel a bit less like I'm about to fall off a cliff. 🙂

I'm on the train into London for my pre-chemo check now. Lainie has hers today too I think, does anyone else have anything happening today? If you do good luck and if not, have a good anyway. X
Highlighted

A week after first FEC sickness has subsided appetite increased but so lethargic such an effort even to have a shower hope this passes before the next treatment.
Highlighted

Ditto from me - good luck to all starting this week - including me 😄

An ready to start tomorrow. Xx

Highlighted

Morning you lovely ladies.

Going to go and get ready for my pre chemo visit before Wednesday - this is starting to feel so real.

Good luck and big hugs to everyone who is starting this week, we will come out fighting x

Highlighted

Good luck every starting this week . My advice is baby steps take each stage at a time . Take the anti sickness meds as they tell u and hopefully u will be fine . Xx
Highlighted

Just had my last night out before chemo. Hubby and I went to see a comedy show (absolutely hilarious) then had a nice meal. Now time to concentrate on starting my chemo this week. Good luck to all who are starting this week xxx😊
Highlighted

Good luck and hugs to all starting treatment next week x