346145posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting chemo October 14

Highlighted

Re: Starting chemo October 14

I had my hair cut short last week but I don't know if I'm brave enough to shave it off. My husband (who has a full head of white hair) has offered to shave his off as has my eldest son lol. We'll see what happens when the time comes. They might be sponsored to raise money for cancer research. Glad everyone is doing well. Xxx
Highlighted

Hi again ladies

so glad to read that you are all coping with your first dunks. Believe me 'wind' is a major side effect, most of us OO's from last year were always talking about it lol!

My hair started to come out on Day 14 and i could just stand there and shake my head and the floor woul dbe covered. I have shortish hair anyway but come Day 16 i couldn't stand it any longer and had a 'shave' day with my hubby - he is bald so i shaved his and he did a cut 2 on mine. You may find your scalp feels tender as it begins to fall out but this goes once your hair has gone.

Try to take positives out of this - what i did was to put into a piggy bank all the money i didn't need to use on hair appointments, hair products and shampoo and condiditoner. i had a lovely nest egg come March/April as my hair began to grow again and now i have a 6 month regrowth have booked into a 'posh' stylist for my first hair do in over a year!

Sally x

Highlighted

You sound like you're doing brilliantly Murphy! Day 11 already, it's good to hear that you're doing so well now.

I've had mine cut real short, but I'm going to wait until it starts to fall out in clumps before I shave it off. I thought my husbands beard trimmer would be good for the job. I might try shaving some patterns or Mohican into it briefly, and take some pics, they would make me family smile. 🙂
Highlighted

Yeah i cut short on friday, wig lady coming around on Monday!- think that'll be tricky, but beanies and scarfs at the ready. Am grateful that weather is turning so winter coats, hats etc will be ok. Enjoy rest of weekend all - much love xx
Highlighted

Hi Murphy, you are an inspiration to me 🙂 like you not sure if to have my hair shaved off before it starts coming out...that idea freaks me a little. Wait and see i suppose. Hope you have a good weekend xx
Highlighted

Junash, mel, lainie, it's so good to hear you are all doing so well. As I've said a hundred times before, if I didn't have this phobia I would've managed just fine. It's great to hear the good stories 🙂 day 11 for me, my next big milestone will be the hair loss. It hasn't really bothered me before as I had other things to worry about, however I'm wondering now what happens, do I wait till it comes out in clumps, or do I just shave it as it's gonna come out anyway?? I have my wig, totally different style to what my hair is just now as I didn't want the awkwardness of folk thinking I was trying to disguise I had a wig on (if you know what I mean). I always intended though just to wear scarfs, but now the time is nearing I'm thinking scarfs might be a bit too public, oh I don't know, will see when the time comes 🙂

Hope you all have a lovely weekend with your family and friends. To those starting on Monday, try not to worry, it'll all be fine. Love xxxxxxx
Highlighted

Hi everyone. I'm feeling quite good so far. I didn't sleep very well last night but only felt slightly sick this morning. I had a ginger biscuit and took anti sickness meds and it settled down. Can't say I feel ill but my stomach feels a bit gassy and full. So, so far so good. Like Junash I'm waiting for side effects to kick in and hoping I'll be lucky. I did have dry eyes last night but they're not so bad today.
Bettypoppit and Jingo good luck for Monday and it's not so bad. Try to enjoy your weekend and look after yourselves.
Mel glad you're starting to feel a bit better.
Love to everyone xx
Highlighted

Oh so true about the 'you look so well' and 'aren't you being so positive' malarkey....mmmmmm not underneath tge facade I'm not...'I'm a big girls blouse' lolol
I am truely lucky as best friend is so down to earth and I'm her 3rd friend that has gone through bc in the last 2 years!!! (and she is an ex-nurse) that she is right there with me and is wonderful. But, and i don't know how others feel, i really don't want every contact i have with her to be about 'me, me, me' and be full of stress and upset? Quite apart from the fact that she fosters and that is sooo upsetting and stressfull for her...she doesn't need my angst on top! At the end of the day, it is us ladies going through this together i think, that can hold us together.
Bl***y well done to all you ladies who have had their 1st treatment and come out 'on top' 🙂 xxxx
Highlighted

Love it, Ticking time bomb sums it up exactly
🙂

Oncologist consultant just called to see how I'm doing - nice of him! Told him all been good but waiting for side effects - said there shouldn't be any more at day 5 so just be aware of infections / coughs / colds but aside from that get on with my days - yaay xx

Morning ladies.

Good luck for monday Bettypoppit.

Junash I know what you mean about everyone saying how well you look, I have given up and told them I am fine, if only they knew.

Can't shift the taste of chemicals in my mouth even though brushing and rinsing nothing helps. Saying that after two days of toast and porridge could eat something with a bit of taste but can't think what.

We are like little ticking timebombs waiting for the next side effect to hit, lets hope they don't and we all have a good weekend x

Highlighted

I'm on FEC-T so red wee has come and gone - it was so so bright! I know it's daft stressing about what may not happen - trying to enjoy these bonus days, though if a bit of weariness gets me out of having to sit on sidelines at sons FOOTIE today then that's an extra bonus 🙂 - hope you're pampering, indulging yourself this weekend, or just relaxing - the thought of the chemo kept creeping up on me but I'm so happy to have made a start.

So nice to have this group, friends keep saying 'you're doing amazing, looking so well' but they don't understand what's going on inside really. Xx
Highlighted

Hi Junash....don't be fretting about it, it just might not...have you got plenty of meds at the ready? Are you on fec-d regime and got red wee? Drinking plenty? Yes, 9.30 am monday....on 'planet denial' still 😉 fingers double crossed you continue to do ok. Hugs xxxxx
Highlighted

Bettypoppit I'm waiting for it to come and bite me on the arse - I know it'll come !! May drive myself around the bend worrying how I'll feel tomorrow or in the next hour - but fingers crossed eh? You starting Monday ?
Highlighted

Hi Junash, that's great to hear you are doing ok, both for you and for us - sharing the experiences is so helpful and hopeful 🙂 way to go..hugs xxx
Highlighted

How we all doing?

Lainie and Peta - hope you had a decent first night and it wasn't to horrid - that, so far, was my only disturbed night, hope chemo was easy in you. Bern thinking of you.

Hows everyone else - i really need to make a list of our gang and who is at what cycle and starting.

Sue, hope things are settling down but vent away on here - virtual hug on its way.

I'm ticking along, now day 5 after 1st FEC, just a little tired so far but dry mouth so swishing with biotin mouthwash as recommended by dr. Seems to be working - so I'm recommending that.

Chin up chicks - love to all xx

Highlighted

Kerena, I'm at Charing Cross Hospital in Hammersmith, but I know St George's really really well, I used to live there and had both my children there.

I just got home from my first session, good to hear you're doing okay Lainie. I feel a bit light-headed and have very dry mouth, but otherwise pretty much okay.

I'm injecting myself, will start that on Sunday.

I need to chill out now, I only just got home. One and a half hour drive home, we got stuck in traffic!
Highlighted

Hi all lovely ladies, and sue456 - get it off your chest - you are having a rotten time of it but we are here for you. Well done LainieG - way to go and i hope you do ok over the next few days, AND, any other ladies who have started this week.
My pre chemo appt with the nurses went well this morning and I'm feeling much better about Monday when i start. I am going to have a couple of hypnotherapist sessions in the coming weeks for my needle phobia as relaxation is part and parcel of it. I'm really hopeful that the reality of chemo will not be half as bad as the anticipated treatment.
Lets hope we can all have a good or ok'ish weekend and lets all take care of ourselves xxx
Highlighted

Another week is yet another flippin' week … there is so much waiting involved in all this … it's like the Frustration Factor is an essential ingredient for loads of us… but here you find out you're not alone in waiting.

Hi Peta, Murphy, Jingo_x, mel67 and sue456… so many of us walking this path… we CAN do it - we WILL do it… Hope everyone starting today found it more ok than they had anticipated. … and the w/e ok too…

I start back to work next week, then start chemo the end of the week after… so still waiting…! x
Highlighted

Oh Sue. You e had plenty to moan about and that's what this forum is for. If we can't moan at each other then who? We'll drive our families nuts if we moan at them. We all understand because we're all going through it and I know why you feel the week delay so badly. I thought I was going to be delayed so I know exactly how you feel. We build ourselves up for it and a delay feels like a massive deal especially when faced with all the stuff you're going through. Don't feel bad about moaning. Hope your luck changes soon xxxx😙
Highlighted

Hi lianie there's me moaning again and I'm really sorry I had lost track of who was starting treatment today I'm sorry hope u dont suffer to much. Sue xxx

Highlighted

Hi lainie was starting to feel a little better this afternoon then I get a phone call to say they have change my chemo start date because of infection it's now 17Oct I no it's only a week but it throws all the date out first one our wedding anniversary second will b a day before my birthday I not sure how xmas fits in . Sorry im rannting again thats all I seem to b doing lately just about had enough. Sue

Highlighted

Well first one over and I'm home. Feeling ok so far and making sure I'm drinking lots. Just waiting for the nausea to start. Fingers crossed xxx
Highlighted

Hello ladies,

Good luck to all the lovely ladies starting chemo today xx

Welcome to all the new ladies xx

Two days after chemo and my first post, couldn't stop vomiting the first day and a half but it seems to have settled down now.  I know I need to eat but just the smell of food turns my stomach.  Managed toast yesterday, have got up this morning and given myself a good talking to so been out for a walk to local shop (which is about two miles) and I ended up with some porridge so that will be my lunch.

Cold cap was hard work, not sure at the moment I will do it again, may change my mind by the next session but not sure.

I am hoping once the initial shock goes from the treatment we will be ready for the next one.

Big hugs to everyone x

Highlighted

Hello to new joiners and good luck to ladies starting treatment today.  

I have been lying low a bit this week as my treatment starts on Monday and my anxiety levels have been escalating - although I have also found my hypnotherapist tips useful.  Consultants still cant decide whether I have a bone metastasis or a benign bone tumour, so I have to live with it for now and get re-scanned in 12 months.  Uncertainty doesn't help but in some respects its better than certainty I guess!

I will be having my chemo at St George's in London if anyone else is from the area. 

Hope you all have a lovely weekend and feel as well as possible.

Kerena

Highlighted

Hi lovely ladies, welcome to our new joiners, I'm sure you'll get lots of tips, encouragement and hopefully some laughs along the way.

Day 10 after first fec and I'm beginning to feel a bit more "normal". I defo know if I didn't have this blinking vomiting phobia I could do this without too much moaning. Anyway I have got my phobia and I just need to try to work round it. Went for a first session yesterday with a hypnotherapist and I think this will definitely help me. She gave me a wonderful deep relaxation tape also I must listen to at least once a day. I'll get another 2 sessions with her before my second poison on 14 oct. Appetite still zilch, however I have had a craving for past 2 days for my daughters homemade chicken curry, and she's coming through tonight to make it for me. I know I'll just pick at it but it's something at least.

I notice a couple of glasgow ladies, I'm in central region but had my op in aug at the western in glasgow. I'm having my chemo in forth valley but will have my rads at the beatson. Maybe we could all meet up at some point, exchange wig stories 🙂

Ladies starting today, you will all be fine, let us know how it goes.

Love to all xxxxx
Highlighted

Sue so sorry you're having such a horrible time. I hope things get better for you soon.

Peta I'm thinking of you today and I hope it all goes well. I'm very nervous xxx
Highlighted

Hello and welcome Ggee!

Just a short post from me today as I'm starting chemo today, but it's nice to meet you, I hope your treatment goes well.

Junash, thanks, really good to hear that you're doing well, I'm hoping to join you on the not too bad side, here's hoping!

Sue, I was told to go to nearest hospital with a temperature, but waned that they might forward me on to my main hospital once I was assessed and stabilised, so it sounds like they may have been following the same set od guidelines with you. I really hope you feel better today. Xxx

Speak to you all from the other side later today. X
Highlighted

hi ladies family problem is probably never going to b sorted so have to learn to live with it. going to b very hard.ive had 48 hours of hell at hospital and home. had very high temperature and bad pains in my legs my breast swelled up and was red and very hot and my heart was racing.went to gp and she said it was very bad infection gave me 4 different tablets to take and said to return next dayif no improvement i wouldl have to have intervenious antibiotics. didn't sleep allnight cold barely walk in morning. had doctor out. he said defiantly hospital.so get taxi to hospital thought is was a bit weird that he told me to go to normal hospital not hospital where id had my opp but silly me thought he's the doc so he must no.well after 3 hours of waiting answering questions bloods and them drawing around infection they decided to tell me i have to go to hospital were i had opp.by this time im sething . sorry this is long winded. doc at other hospital said it not infection its fluid they drain 250 mls off go back to c doc he said carry on taking antibiotics because there could be small infection there aswel come back in a weeks time. well im shattered by this time just want to get home. we left home at 11.00am didn't get back until 6.pm.not sure if this could delay chemo still have a temperature and legs r killing me. to top it all of come home to letter from hos saying picc line being put in on 16th Oct i start chemo on 10th Oct? good luck to every one having treatment today. hope everyone is not suffering to much. hi to new ladies who have joined. very hard to keep with every one. someone said about giving ourselfs a name what do u think about Oct FIGHTERS. suexxx
Highlighted

Hi Junash - Thank You for sharing - and for your encouragement - hang on in there! Yous r all jus brilliant! x
Highlighted

… and Thank You for telling me that The Maggie centre do wigs - I'd not realised that - so will maybe start there in looking. Good Luck to both of you (and everyone else) starting treatment today … I hope you find it heaps easier than you anticipate … hugs… x
Highlighted

Welcome geeG glad you've found us.

Good luck to the lovely ladies starting today.

As you know, i Had my first chemo on Tuesday and, touch wood, I've been fine. Slight nausea Tuesday night but meds sorted. Been drinking lots - water, herbal etc. No wine unfortunately! , light snacks - but steroids making me want carbs, so spag Bol, toast, mac & cheese!!! Last day of steroids and hopefully I'll get back to having more protein/veggies! Feel a little tired but have had a normal days - aside from not being at work, sainsburys, pub lunch. I know this is a bonus and there will be tougher days but I want to let you know how I'm doing - you'll be ok as well. I really hope so.

Hope everyone is feeling better, onwards and upwards my lovelies xx
Highlighted

Hi LainieG and Bettypoppit - what a great welcome! - Thank You - this diagnosis is such a shock for each of us and it takes awhile to learn to touch it, let alone "get a grip" on it… and it seems like the more I find out about it the more I can feel a wee bit of a say… (I won't say "control" yet…) … and to have this contact with yous "going thru it" at the same time is just brilliant … Thank Yous …
Highlighted

Hi geeG, welcome to the October chemo forum and it's great that you have made a bc friend already along the way and are getting support and info to help you through this. I too have found everybody I've come into contact with to be very helpful and mostly very approachable and that's a big help. It is scary - i like the boulder analogy!
pre assessment talk for me this morning, wig fitting after (probably more crying at the visualisation of my hair actually falling out) and chemo starts monday..have a needle phobia - so going to be a challenge. Talking to a hypnotherapist later with a view to a session.
Together i know we can all do this - FANTASTIC support on this forum - i for one would struggle to keep my head above water without it! Welcome again geeG. Xxx
Highlighted

Hi geeG. Welcome to our October thread. I start my chemo tomorrow. I'm from Glasgow too. Are you being treated at the Beatson? The staff there are wonderful and it's a lovely, calm environment. You should visit the Maggie's centre there if you haven't already. They offer so many useful services, including a wig service amongst others. I was there today trying on wigs (mixed emotions there) and just sitting around having a cup of tea. There's such a lovely relaxed atmosphere there and everyone is really friendly and helpful. Xxx
Highlighted

Hi Ladies - may I join you?
58. Married late. Parental health issues at opposite ends of UK for too many years … and were not lucky enough to have our own family - so have dog, cat & (now just 2) hens…
First signs of bc on 1 June… saw GP 3 days later - he was not at all convinced there was any problem but did refer me on - longest 3 weeks of my life waiting.… then another horrendous wait till Mastectomy & DIEP Reconstruction 3 September… surgeons here in Glasgow have done a FABULOUS job - tho one or two stitch abscesses to heal.
Grade 2 lobular, 7cms, ER+, PR+ and HER2- … one macro met in single SNB… for which I chose radiotherapy rather than ancillary clearance.
Discussion re chemo was day before yesterday - saying "yes" took us straight into the pre-assessment talk. Like many of you I found the brutal reality of it all caught up with me then - especially being given the voucher for my wig re hair loss to come… very weepy on the way home … but that'd be ok if it was my best friend in these shoes - so ok for me… eh?……now need to psyche myself up for getting it (wig… will it have A Name?)
Heart scan next Thursday, flu vaccination Friday, hope for line insertion thru joining trial before starting chemo the end of the following week (17 or 18 Oct - dunno yet)… like others have said, feels like boulder is rolling towards edge of cliff… What will it mean for Christmas? Can I get back to work ASAP? (5 weeks full pay is up next week; 5 weeks half pay then nowt…) Will I be able to get back to choir singing when my belly is healed…? Shall I ever get a full night's sleep again…
New Friend from first clinic appointment started chemo in August and is a fantastic sharer of info and giving me great encouragement … and advice re "useful things for surviving chemo" - like keeping a detailed diary of how you are each day cos the nurse asks you at the second session how you have been during the 3 weeks of the first cycle… I'd never have thought of a diary…
Kerumbs… this is Me… can I join you? (Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze…!). x
Highlighted

Haha can't believe you had bacon Debtex. I'm vegetarian too. I have been for 26 years. I hope it doesn't do that to me xxx
Highlighted

Debtex sorry you've been so poorly. I will drink lots of water too now. I hope next time is easier for you.

Thanks Betty. That has reassured me. Hopefully they'll go ahead if it's not too bad.

Good luck to you too Peta. I'll be thinking of you. My appointment is at 12.30

Hugs to everyone, especially if you're feeling poorly xxx💞💞
Highlighted

Good luck PETA . I'm a fussy eater at the best of times and quite slight in frame so doesn't take much to bring me down. I know the signs now and will be more aware next time . Bizarrely the only thing I cud eat yesterday was a bacon barm with brown sauce and I'm a vegetarian !!! Gd luck and hugs for tomoz xx
Highlighted

Good luck Elaine, I hope that tomorrow is fine for you.

Debtex, I'm starting tomorrow - I'll drink loads of water now I know that. I'm scheduled for 1.30pm.

This last day is nervy, I had my hair cut very short today.
Highlighted

Hi ladies have been rather poorly / so nauseated I couldn't eat or drink properly for 4 days most of which I spent flat out . Emergency dr came and said bad dehydration / lack of food . One contributing factor I think was that my chemo was so late I didn't get home until 8 pm and then so tired went to bed without enough time to drink water . May ask to stay In overnight on drip next time as can't go thru that again . Take care all of u xxx
Highlighted

Hi LainieG, sorry you feel you've got a cold coming on...fingers crossed you'll be fine....I've just had a tooth out - due to the beginings of an infection - and my consultant has said to go ahead with chemo ..my 1st treatment is Monday morning. So, maybe if it's going into the first chemo and not a 'serious' infection they just decide keeping to plan is the best option all round . Fingers crossed, big hugs, xxx
Highlighted

Agh Elaine I've no idea but really hope you can go ahead - as the build up is the worst. If you shake them off easily then fingers crossed you'll be ok!! Let us know. Xx
Highlighted

I've woken up with a cold today. Will this affect my chemo? I start tomorrow. I usually fight off colds quickly but obviously worried about tomorrow now. Xx
Highlighted

Murphy. Good luck with your appointment today. I really hope it helps. Sending love and hugs. 💖

Good luck too to anyone starting treatment today 💕
Highlighted

I'm with you Betty. There's no way I'll be sticking a needle in myself. Hate needles. It's hard enough making myself sit still so that others can jab me lol xx
Highlighted

Thanks for the info on booster injections...think.it unlikely that i will be self administrating tho! Lolol
Take care all and here's to a good thursday for us all xxx
Highlighted

Hi ladies, I had the Neulasta injections given to me to take home at each of my chemos & the district nurse came the next day for the first two times but after that I did them myself as they are really easy spring loaded syringes & didn't hurt at all. I didn't really have any side effects from this injection, to be honest I may have done but as I was taking pain killers anyway I didn't notice. They did their job & I didn't have any delays in my treatment. Keep drinking your teas & lots of water, you are all doing brilliantly xxxx
Love Sam - Oct/Nov 2013
Highlighted

Hi peta - got from sainsbury - by Pukka, it's called three ginger - organic ginger, galangal and golden turmeric tea 'to uplift and warm'. It's lovely and I thought would be good for settling stomach.

Xx
Highlighted

Hi ladies. Me again from last year. Just to say I only needed the boosters for dunking no 4,5,6. As my bloods were low for no 4 so was delayed for a week. I had them for 5 days after dunking. However keep in mind that all hospitals follow there own rules and regs so could be different guidelines. Also we all react differently to the poison.
I did end up in hospital after my last chemo for 5 days with infection (need to be hospitalised for iv anti biotics) so (very broadly) week 1 sickly week, week 2 low immunity and week 3 to pull yourself round for next go. Good luck ladies sarah (October optimist) x
Highlighted

How do you make turmeric tea Junash? That sounds possible, I don't really like fruit teas, but that sounds nicer.