345310posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting chemo October 14

Highlighted

Re: Starting chemo October 14

Hello all!  Please can I join you? Starting chemo tomorrow.

I am 40 with stage 3 invasive lobular BC and triple negative. 

Going to try the cold cap, but given that I have fine hair and get ice-cream headaches from a Mr Whippy... I really don't hold much hope in how much of a result it is going to achieve! 

Worried about side effects but I guess it is a case of 'take it as it comes'.

Interested to read what things have helped and tips

Highlighted

Wow ladies, it's sooooo good to get everybodies feedback and ideas...I'm pimping my fruit smoothies with a couple tablespoons of oats and ground flaxseeds and avocado and mango as well today..I'm.really finding them delish and tempting although they don't look bright and colourful like shop bought but im sure much healthier and norishing ();).
Not done a lot myself today...my aim is to get up and have a shower and something to eat, catchup with you lovely ladies and friends and family....and cuddle up with my 'puppy' 🙂
Trying to drink loads and have added lemon & ginger tea to my tesco food shop...great tip thanks Junash.
Heres hoping for a better night for me and a good night for everybody else. Hugs xxxx
Highlighted

Agreed - feel more comfortable on here as the lovely ladies advice is much needed.

Xx
Highlighted

i have struggled with drinking water, but have been mixing elderflower squash with fizzy water and I can drink pints of that - especially when it starts going flat!  so flat fizzy drinks might help keep liquids up.

duvet day for me today, too lazy to do anything! Kerena

ps also open to the idea of a FB group but agree that we are very lucky to have October 13 ladies here cheering us on too

Highlighted

Acid tummy i had but keep keep drinking water - or try some ginger tea - does help.

My appetite is back with avengence - think I'm craving spicy due to horrid taste mouth. Have cooked some tandoori chicken for tonight - protein. Will dig out the smoothie maker - adding nuts is a great idea.
Highlighted

Laine could you be dehydrated? I felt just like that and felt so much better when they put me on a drip. They said I was dehydrated and that was making my blood pressure fall which was making me fuzzy and dizzy. Maybe pee in a glass and look at the colour?

I hope this helps!
Highlighted

Acid tummy, yes me too. I'm eating bananas quite a bit, they're supposed to be good chemo food and slip down very easily. My appetite has really gone down - I'm nibbling at things rather than eating a whole meal - there's no way I could do that at the moment.

Facebook group, I'd happily join, but I'd probably still post here too as I like the advice from the 'seniors in the year above us' too! Whichever everyone else prefers really.

I'm still in hospital, probably for just one more night. My inflammatory markers are raised, which means I have some sort of infection or virus somewhere. I'm still on IV antibiotics with a review tomorrow when they've tested my bloods again.

I'm feeling much better all round today, I'm on Day 6, so hopefully the other acid tummy ladies will feel a bit better soon too.

My head itches too - I either have nits or..... It's coming. Or should that be going? 😊
Highlighted

Me too. Diet is very limited at the moment. Porridge, tomato soup, water. Can't even drink tea or juice. Feeling very weak and dizzy just now. Is anyone else experiencing this? Getting up from sitting or lying down is awful xxx
Highlighted

I love the idea of your lurcher fancying your rug rat Betty - people will think your dog is giving you longing, loving looks and only we will know the truth.... 😉

Highlighted

Acid tummy yes!
Can barely look at food but then I suddenly find one thing I want to eat ( chicken and tomato sandwich today). I have 4 stone to lose and managed to lose one before chemo by changing diet, but I think protein is important for white blood cell production, so my plan is not to diet again until after chemo.
I am adding nuts to my fruit smoothies to help boost my protein too.
Missing my appetite!
Highlighted

I forgot to ask if anyone is suffering from a little acid tummy and wind?!!! Doesn't this whole thing suck 😞
Highlighted

Hi Junush, form an orderly que behind me...re the fat and needing to loose weight 😉 after decades of yo yo dieting, i had a very successful and doable run on the 5:2 diet....as usual let it slip and have put most of the 2st lost back on in the 2 yrs since. I did float the idea of dieting to my oncologist and she said absolutely not ...time for that after treatment finished. Given how my usually rampant appitite has diminished in just 3 days I'm doing as told! What are peeps managing to eat? I'm down to fruit smoothies and fruit shortbread biscuits for wake up meds, soup for lunch and very probably soup for supper tonight. Hoping the lighter supper will give me an easier night tonight.
Not sure about the fb group...not sure why mind...what do other peeps think?
Hugs to all....we CAN do this 🙂
Highlighted

PETA - great that you're felling better - hope you're home soon and well rested.

Yes Betty - am taking antibiotic as a precaution as hsve some fluid build up on new boob which is leaking a little (soz TMI) so aware of infection but I'm tired of taking thrm - but will. Whrn I came home from chrmo the drugs neck was daunting.

Tingling scalp has started, only minor - I'm on day 9 - so reckon weekend will start shedding. Feeling fat, old, scarred and soon bald. I suppose the only way is up. I'm trying to loose weight - am obese and know that I need to get healthy - feels like a mountain to climb. Anyone used WE / slimming world? am craving carbs but trying to have more protein. Opinions please!

Betty, hope tonight is a better night - I'm sure rug rat looks lovely.

What do you think about a closed FB group as suggested earlier by a previous chemo lady ? Though I do like this forum as nice that previous BC ladies csn give us advice and tips.

Sorry am babbling !!!!!
xx
Highlighted

Morning lovely ladies, day 3 (only) and not such a good night - but, i coped..thank you for posting your updates and i have been advised that my hair is likely to want to shed from day 12 - 14, so that sounds about right :(. Really not liking the idea of it coming out on it's own, so i think I'll make an appointment to go get it gone next week. I have a rug rat all ready, having to be kept safe in the dining room as my lurcher dog was paying it WAY too much attention...she thinks I've bought her another furry toy!! Lolol Anyway I'm not overly convinced how much i will wear it, so I've got a turbany scarf thingi too.....oh the joys. I just know how ugly I'm going to look 😞 😞 😞

Does anyone else have this feeling of 'enough of the drugs' already? As i lined up my morning meds (5) i.struggled to take them?

Hope everyone has a good day today and Peta i hope you are feeling better today too. Hugs xxxxx
Highlighted

Good morning all!

I'm feeling much better today, thank you for all the get well soon messages. ☺ I'm quite hopeful that they'll let me out later today, my temperature has gone right back down again.

I was a bit reticent to go into hospital, but I've been cared for so well and so kindly that I won't mind next time. The oncology ward has a lovely garden and I'm going to have a bit of reiki later - and it was a real relief to be able to stop worrying and just relax and be cared for. So coming in was good advice!

It's great to hear that everyone is doing well, I hope you all have a good day today, especially this weeks newbies, well done! X
Highlighted

My hair started to come out on day 13 while I was in hospital.It was in the shower ,over the bed so I,walked over to the hairdressers in the hospital and it was shaved.It wasn't a big deal to me because after having felt so poorly losing my hair was the least of my worries.My husband and 23 year old son said it it was the best thing to have done and it did feel a relief .Everyones experience is different I know so all the best to everyone facing different challenges on this journey xx.
Highlighted

Hello all my lovelies - sorry been off line a couple of days, son poorly - heavy cold, so looking after him without getting too close - he's bsck at school tomorrow (hurrah) !!

Peta, sorry you've been unwell but have it all crossed thst you're on the mend and over this hump in the road.

Glad this weeks starters are all doing good and everyone is coping. I'm day 8 tomorrow so ticking along

Things with me good, had wig lady come over on mon morning - hated them all, just didn't suit me so I'm deffo scarves and hats. I've ordered a hair halo - so its real hair on a thick hair band that you put on under hat scarf - just to soften the look - it may or may not work but its free from a charity online -l recommended by chemo nurse - so worth giving a go.

Murphy i need a foot massage but think my hooves would scare people.

Once we're through this and on the other side I'm planning on meeting you all and drinking lots of champers / vodka / cocktails - you have been warned 😄

Love to all xxx

Highlighted

Hi ladies, sorry to hear you've been in hospital too peta, hope you feel better soon.

Day 14 of 1st fec and feel completely great. Have been having a busy week but it's great to be getting out and about and forgetting about bc for a while.

Hair is really starting to come out in clumps now though. There was loads in the shower this morning, and when I was brushing and drying it it was also coming away easily. Think by the weekend I'll need to maybe shave it and get the scarves out.

Had a wee therapy at the hospital this morning, a lovely foot massage. Got one booked for next tues too, the day before my 2nd fec 😞 that's the quickest time has gone!!! I'm feeling quite relaxed about the impending poison atm, but might feel very different this time next week.

Love to all xxxxx
Highlighted

Thanks LainieG - you are so encouraging - Thank You!
Peta - I so hope you get a good night's sleep and home soon. It is good to know the 'back up plan' works when we need it - Get Well Soon!
Highlighted

Oh Peta poor you...what a rubbish start.  Hope you feel better and get home soon

love Kerena

Highlighted

Hi Peta, really sorry to hear that, but corny as it sounds, you are in the best place and they will be keeping a really good eye on you. Hope you get a good nights sleep and you are feeling better tomorrow. Xxx
Highlighted

So sorry to hear that Peta. Get well quickly. Let us know how you're getting on xxx😚
Highlighted

Hi

Update from me, typed on my phone. Had terrible stomach cramps and pain and was sick yesterday and my temperature went up to 38 so they've admitted me to hospital and put me on a drip. Apparently my white blood cell count is fine, so I'm okay but they're keeping me in for observation for a bit.

Stay well ladies! I hope to be out tomorrow or the next day.
Highlighted

Might see you at the Maggie Centre geeG. I'm booking my look good feel better session for the same day. Haven't done it yet. I'd better get onto that. The Maggie Centre is fab isn't it. I felt fine on the evening of my chemo. It was the next day before I felt any effects so you should be fine for your choir practice I would think. I'm finding sleeping really difficult as I had a double mastectomy with tissue expanders and it's awkward sleeping on my side. I feel like this is making the chemo harder to deal with. Xxx💓
Highlighted

Hi Everyone - apologies for neglecting you all - I clearly need to schedule time for the forum as you are all such good company and I have missed yous……
Because I am such a wuss with needles I have opted onto the trial re Portacath or Hickman Line - signed the paperwork today and get my Hickman line on Monday afternoon. … all ready for Thursday 16… so bloods done today save me that on Wednesday (clinic)… have you got a Hickman line? How are you finding the dangly bits to live with? (I sleep best on my stomach - have had 3 good nights now since I found DIEP scar can now cope… but will the Hickman just snuggle in or will it complain?)
Thinking I need to lose weight - have not yet started chemo but have put ON 3lbs since my Mastectomy and DIEP… (thought I would've LOST some with the surgery! - lol!)
Ordered my wig yesterday… and booked a Look Good Feel Better session at the Maggie Centre for Monday 20… thought it'd be something to look forward to… just hope any SE will have finished by then from Thursday… and I'm hoping I can get along to choir rehearsal on that Thursday evening… am I hoping for too much? How did you feel on your first evening after chemo? …
Hope things are going good today for you… we can do this … one step at a time… x
Highlighted

Hi Everyone I'm just wondering if anyone was neutropenic after their first FEC treatment. My next treatment is delayed because I have facial cellulitis but I have read that neutropenia is more likely to return if it happened early in the chemo treatment and the oncologist may need to alter my planned treatment. Hope everyone is ok after their treatments xx
Highlighted

Thank you Laine, feeling ok today just that 'morning sickness' feeling all day. Taking all my drugs and actually managed a half decent sleep last night. A bit sensitive to strong smells so have been on porridge, chicken soup a sucking boiled sweets.
Had a nap and felt groggy, had a walk and felt better, so I think fresh air is good if you can muster the strength!
Highlighted

Hope you are still doing ok Kerena and Betty. Well done on getting through the first one. You're on the road now xxx😚😚
Highlighted

Glad youre home and ok Zelda. That must have been a horrible experience. Look after yourself and good luck with the next one xxx
Highlighted

Hi Jingo, I've been sent home with enough meds to fill the local chemist!!! I have been given ondansetron anti sickness tabs and told to take one tonight (held out till 7pm) and then again in 12 hours (so 7am ) and repeat for 3 days, AND, given domperidone to take as well - if required!! Don't know if this is as a result of my being sick after surgery and having an unscheduled on stay....and we are all different and probably on different treatment regimes!
I've eaten lunch and dinner and being keeping my fluids up. Feeling more and more tired so heading to bed and hoping for a good nights sleep!
Zelda - glad you are now better and home and recovering further. Thanks for sharing your story as it is useful for us all. May you feel heaps better real soon.

Big hugs & take care all. Xxxx
Highlighted

Glad everyone is doing ok. I've been going mad with dry mouth. I got a spray for it from the chemist today. It's called glandosane if anyone wants to try it. It's quite good. I'm on day 4 and feeling really really tired. Think I'm a bit anaemic already. Drinking lots of water and lying in bed. Can't wait to start feeling a bit more energetic. Xxx💞

Peta

Evening ladies.

Glad your home from hospital Zelda and are feeling a bit better.

Well done everyone today your so brave.

Peta I had the node clearance and that was worse than the MX, that was six weeks ago tomorrow. The pain does subside but its just so uncomfortable its like my side and under my arm are made of rubber (that probably makes sense to me).

Went to learn how to tie scalves at the hospital today just incase I loose the hair and ended up with medication for thrush so yet more tablets, I only said my throat was a bit sore, its a wonder we don't all rattle. x

Highlighted

Hi Everyone,Just back home after a 4 night stay in hospital 11days after 1st FEC treatment. I felt unwell and had a temperature of 38 .0 also I noticed a slight swelling of my cheek.I visited the hospital soon after and was examined and blood was taken ,on arrival my temp was 38.3. The blood test revealed I was neutropenic with a blood count of 0.3 , the slight swelling on my cheek was cellulitis.After a lot of IV antibiotics and White cell boosting injections and pain relief I am now glad to be home the next chemo treatment will be delayed until I am better. So everyone take care hope all is well with you xx
Highlighted

Bettypoppit glad you got through round one.  Mine went smoothly too, and now back home feeling a bit tired.  Did the cold cap which was nowhere near as painful as I thought it would be but I do have thick hair so I am thinking it might not have worked properly.

Been given Domperidone for nausea but given the impression I should start taking it tomorrow, but I would have assumed that dose onight would be useful - would be interested to know what others have done after their first chemo?

Peta - re the node clearance, I had 31 nodes removed and it has been by far the worst part of all my surgery. Mastectomy was a doddle in comparison! I am totally numb down my side and arm and now have limited movement in my shoulder.  I don't get much pain during the day but it has been much more uncomfortable at night.  The best way for me to sleep is on my back with damaged arm resting on a pillow, but I also have a large 'body pillow' and I can also get comfortable lying on my good side and throwing my bad arm over the body pillow.

Good luck to everyone for the rest of the week

Highlighted

Hi lovely ladies, yeah 1 done, 5 to go and i managed it ok...nearly fainted with the canula but they layed me back, i was plugged in to my relaxation 'music' and slow deep breaths and 'look away now'...it worked. Not pleasant BUT doable...even for a big woos like myself! 😉
Back home...had a sandwich and a cuppa and now slobbing onbthe sofa but with a slightly muzzy head. Have written up in my diary about what meds to take when (have come home with more drugs than boots the chemist lolol). Feeling like you said Junash....now waiting foe the dreaded se to start....fingers crossed I'm ok right this minute.
I hope it's gone ok for others starting today and lets all take extra special care of ourselves. Hugs & kisses and I'm now going to have a play with my new 'toy' - digital ear thermometer. ..something i never new i wanted! Lol
Highlighted

hi Peta
im not clued up on all these things i hated my surgeon he was very rude and blunt so i didn't ask him much. i was only told last week by bc nurse that i had 18 nodes removed 1 was affected. had op on 15th august. i take Anitripetlen 4 migraines they knock me anyway lol. this probably hasn't helped sorry.
sue xxx
Highlighted

Good luck to all of you who are starting this week and particularly those starting today.
I've honestly felt a lot better than I thought I would, so I hope you all find it okay too.

Sue I had seromas too and had to be drained twice, it took a week to build up again. The third time it did start to build up, but it obviously wasn't as bad so we left it and it has slowly gone down.

By the way has anyone else had an auxilliary node clearance? Did you Sue? That's caused me more aggro than my boob and I am still, after six weeks, having difficulty sleeping without pain killers.
Highlighted

hi ladies
Good luck to everyone starting today and this week. should of been me on Friday never mind hopefully the 17th that's if nothing else crops up. hospital tomorrow to check if everything is ok. it isn't fluid coming back already after only drained of on Friday. suexx
Highlighted

I am in at 11 today, not feeling too anxious yet.  Good luck to all the other starters this week and hope everyone else is feeling well 

Kerena x

Highlighted

Good luck to all you ladies starting today and this week. You'll get through it. Lots of good tips on here. Xxx💖
Highlighted

Big hugs Bettyboppit you will be fine today x

Good luck everyone this week we can do this x

Highlighted

Morning all -

Wishing all the starters today good luck - you'll be fine -its great to be making start - one step closer xxx

Keep us posted how you're doing.

Off to buy some wine guns as mouth like the bottom of a budgie cage - ugh.

Highlighted

Hi Murphy1963, good for you...i think you are doing brilliently. My 1st this morning...trying to keep calm, but my OH seems more on edge than me and i can see this is going to be one tense and stressful morning 😞 oh well, soon be over. Good luck all, see you on the other side 😉 xxx
Highlighted

I couldn't even describe the taste and texture in my mouth at the moment. Day 12 for me and this has been my best day yet. I'm going to have a busy week of doing nice things before the poison again the following week.

Good luck for those having your treatment this coming week. We will all be fine 🙂

Love xxxxx
Highlighted

Thanks for the suggestion Sally - wine gums sound like a good idea, I've got a plastic taste in my mouth after the White blood cell injection today, it's very strange! Do any of the other ladies have it?
Highlighted

Good luck and big hugs all you lovely ladies having chemo this week.

Day five done and feeling a bit more like me was going to say normal but normal has gone out of the window.

Furry mouth is so annoying but some good ideas from Salkei, will get some wine gums tomorrow, even if I just remember the wine taste .....

Lets have a good week x

Highlighted

I'm finding starburst sweets great for dry mouth if anyone else is suffering from this xx
Highlighted

Elaine, its the only way i know how to show this pesky disease that it will not win. Always keep a positive attitude, try and look on the bright side, such as showering will be so much faster without hair, you don't have to worry about bad hair days and the wigs keep their shape so much more than our own hair!

If you are suffering from the 'metal mouth' a few days on from the dunking, i found that strong tasting foods was the way to go - onion, garlic etc and funnily enough wine gums! But whatever you find works for you, go with it.

Sally

Highlighted

Hi Sally. Thanks for your fab ideas and your encouragement. It really means a lot when we're just discovering the effects of this horrible medicine. It's good to hear from someone who's been there already. Love Elaine xx
Highlighted

Hi LainieG, what great support from your family:) hope all is good with fellow October land bc peeps this morning xxx