1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting chemo October 14

bettypoppit

Re: Starting chemo October 14

Hahaha spooky LainieG. ...great minds think alike regarding have a glass of vino! 😉
bettypoppit

p.s. has anyone felt like and gone ahead and had a glass of vino, beer, sherry! I've not touched a drop - not remotely interested until now....but worried that i will seriously regret it, if i do???????
LainieG

Well I'm shaving my hair off tomorrow! My friend is coming to do it. She'll keep me laughing through the tears. When it's done we're going to have a wee girly night and some wine. (Probably quite a lot of wine lol).

Betty glad your hypnotherapy went well. Hope it works for you.
Xxx
bettypoppit

Hi Mystery Mouse, welcome to our group of totally lovely ladies all going through this treatment and se together. Loads of great tips and info already within our postings. ..hope it helps. I'm sorry to hear that you had 'bone ache' as a result of the injections...not something i personally encountered. ..and i hope you can get some relief from this going forward.
Snap...on both the dog/wig way too much interest & the needle issues...a kindred spirit 😉 I'm on day 12 today and like you and others around this point, feeling 'normal' ...whatever that is now! I seem to be using this time to reinvent myself (well tweak me a little bit 😉 lol). My cup is definitely half cup full again today and I'm well and truely back on 'planet denial'!
Welcome again and as you say - for a lot of us it's 1 down, 5 to go 🙂
MysteryMouse

Hi everyone, I had my first chemo 10 days ago and the first week was rough with feeling really sick and terrible tiredness. Now though feel back to my old self which is such a relief.  I had the injections too and by day 3 my bones were aching so much.  Anyone else had this?  Injections now stopped and pain gone so much better.  Not sure what to expect with the next session, do you normally feel better or worse as the chemo sessions go on?

I got a wig too and looks almost real although needs to be trimmed up by a hairdresser. A little worried as my dog was taking rather too much of an interest in it in it's box.  It may end up being burried in the garden by him! 😮

It really helps to know you ladies are all going through this with me.  It is a scary time and like some of the other ladies I also have a big problem with needles.  But onwards and upwards 1 down and 5 to go 🙂

MM

x

Sarahjane71

Hi thanks I am looking into reiki and reflexology to keep mind in the right place xx just feeling very tired and a bit weak but suppose that is as I hv not really eaten in last two days and did not sleep through worry and news now I am dreading and panicking think oh no it has spread!! Hv ct scan next week surgeon said is was an Er 7 and fast growing of the oestrogen in body ! Also have told family so lots of loving calls which make you upset eh trying to get a grip on it all over weekend and this forum so far has been brilliant for me taking away some myths scares and reassures me it can be done and lots of sharing of tips so all useful no doubt be asking lots of questions thanks everyone xx
bettypoppit

Hi Sarahjane and welcome to this wonderful group...im sure you will find lots of useful information if you plough your way back through the posts and we are here to support you. As others have already said, the process in reality has been far more do-able than many of us thought before it starts and I'm sure we were all pretty overwhelmed with fear and anxiety too, but as you can see from our posts we are in the most part out the other side and bobbing along. I would thoroughly recommend taking on board the wealth of advice regarding managing side effects.
I have had my first hypnotherapy session today to help me manage my needle anxiety and i can report that it was a very successful session - focusing on deep relaxation and i felt and still do some 2hrs later, very chilled 🙂 i have some homework to do and I'm quietly hopeful that this will make all the difference for me.
Take care ladies xxx
snapper58

Murphy so good to hear your doing much better, yep I had red face and neck and it looked like a bad day in the sun. Also have some really bad spots which I have never suffered with, they have gone now though.

My wig looks better in style than my own because I was sitting on my hair, did'nt realise it suited me better shorter. So once it it back to normal my hairdresser is going to match my wig in style and colour, like the guys have said try loads on and you'll be surprised. Have a good weekend everyone. Snapper x

jingo_x

Hello Sarahjane and welcome to the group.  Try not to get too nervous about the chemo if you can - if you read back through our posts you will find that we were all pretty petrified before we got going but in general things haven't been as bad as we thought they might be.  I am doing the cold cap and as I am now on day 12 I exepct to find out next week whether it has worked!  I didn't find it painful but I have very thick hair and in my hospital they only wet the roots of the hair so maybe that helped - preparing myself for the fact that it might just not have worked though and have a wig and scarves at the ready.

Murphy1963 I am hugely impressed to hear your story of the second session that's amazing and good to know there are things that we can do to help ourselves as well.

Zelda I had a very flushed face for my first week - looked like I had been in the sun, but it did die down.  No problems with veins though so it might be worth reporting it to your medical team so they can keep an eye on it - I think the E in FEC irritates veins and they might be able to slow it down next time.

Sue456 I hope you are coping with the further delay.  Can't advise on the head shaving thing as I am just not brave enough, but if the scarf party idea feels right then I would go for it!

To anyone else I have missed I hope you are having relaxed weekends, take care ladies xx

sue456

hi ladies
i coming to terms with having to wait i don't no how long to start chemo. im trying to think of positive things. I come up with a idea want to no what everybody thinks of it. when the time comes to shave my hair im going to b very emotional i expect a lot of u have been already. i was thinking of having a few close friends and my daughter over and having a hat and scarves party ill supply food and wine and a few small pressys . they would bring a hat or scarve for me to wear. play few silly games while a friend of mine shaves my head. Some of my ideas r not great lol. what do u think?. suexxx
Zelda

Hi Everyone, Feeling slightly better for the reduced dosage chemo probably helped by the anti sickness drug Amend. The only thing is after the immune boosting injection the first and second one this treatment I have had no sleep because of feeling very uncomfortable, hot a very flushed face and neck. My veins in my hand and arm hurt too.Im not sure if these symptons are Side effects as I carnt see them on the leaflet.I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this. Hope everyone else is doing ok .
LainieG

Hi Sarahjane. The wig I got is very good. I sshwed some friends and they all said it looked very natural. Shop around before you choose. Try the places recommended and decide what you want. The people in these places are very patient and will let you try as many as you want. Good luck xx
Sarahjane71

Lainie thank you am sooooooo nervous do that look ok the wigs or really obvious will be so interested to hear your feed back thoughts thank you for being so kind this things are helping my mind at the moment cx good luck with it hope you look fab xxx
LainieG

Murphy well done you!!! Getting over a phobia is a massive achievement. So glad you're feeling so good this time. Long may it continue!

Sarahjane welcome. You'll find loads of great advice on here. I've had so much help from the lovely ladies. You'll be given a prescription for your wig and I was also given a list of places I could get one. I got mine at the Maggie Centre attached to my hospital. I tried on a few before I found the one I liked and had lots of help from the very lovely, patient lady who provided the wigs. Xx sending hugs 😊
Sarahjane71

Hi I am new to forum and will be starting chemo soon as oh so scared about it all ! Liane I would be interested how you went about wig and what you think as I am so vien have already decided I am going to invest in one ! Let me know how yours looks and how I go about it want one as natural as possible xx anyone else have any tips about chemo hair loss cold caps ? Am so worried and scared any help advice would be great xx thanks guys x
bettypoppit

Hi Murphy1963, it's great to hear from you and FANTASTIC that you are feeling so much better with it all....well done you 🙂 🙂 I'm actually off to a first hypnotherapy appointment in a couple of hours in the hope of being able to deal with and cope with my needle phobia...i got through 1st treatment - not sure how - but just thinking about the looming 2nd treatment is making me feel really anxious and nauseous. Fingers crossed.
Hope everyone is having a good weekend xxxxxx
Murphy1963

Hi all my lovely friends. Sorry I've not been on for a few days. Day 4 of my second dunk and I feel so much better this time. To the powers that be I am not being cocky so please don't think right I'll get you know you've said that hehe. I have had the most minimal nausea, in fact practically non existent. I can drink and take my anti sickness pills, and I can snack at tille things, all stuff I couldn't do this time after my first dunk.

I can honestly say I believe totally all the work I done with the hypnotherapist and the acupuncturist helped nt sickness phobia no end. I was also prescribed larazapam the evening before and the morning before and evening of the chemo. I also had day 2 but have halved the dose today and that'll be them finished by tonight. Apart from larazapam I had Emend, Ondansatron, Metacoplamide, dexamethasone, and lots of love and kisses.

Will get reading back what's been going on with you all now but just wanted to say I've survived as best I could've expected. Not great at maths but think I'm a third there?!?! Yippee
bettypoppit

LainieG, here here 🙂 xx
LainieG

Barb so sorry you were fed up today. We all have these moments don't we. I'm glad reading the posts on here helped. I've found this forum and all you lovely ladies are very good for cheering me up, especially after all my moans about dreading the hair loss. It really is the best thing to happen to me lately. The support of people who understand what we're going through is so important to our recoveries. We are so lucky to have this. Hugs to everyone 💞💞
LainieG

Debtex and geeG so glad you're both doing ok. Stay well and spoil yourselves as much as you can.

Junash thanks for your comments re hair loss. You made me laugh. Feeling better about it. Now its started I feel more positive and just want it over so that I can concentrate on getting through all of this and looking forward to the end. Also looking forward to wearing my lovely scarves and hats.

Love to everyone 💞💞
Barb23

Hi ladies, have been feeling a bit fed up today, but having read your posts this evening, you have cheered me up no end with your positive thinking. Thank you. I have been stressing about hairloss, feel like I am just waiting for it to happen ( I am day 11 after first dose) and feeling empowered by your comments bettypoppit, peta and Junash, and in a strange way looking forward to the speedy wash and go 😉 😀 Laine G I'm trying to build up the courage to get It cut short before I get it shaved off, sounds like I'm at a similar stage to you, itchy scalp and some hair coming out when I put my hands through it!
Debtex, hope you have a good night after your dose today. Snapper 58, gee g and Linzz hope your all doing well today.

Hope you all have a restful weekend, I'm off for a day in the lakes and then kids footy😄
Take care, and thanks for all your positive vibes,
Love and hugs
Barb xx
geeG

Hi Everyone - what a jumble of things today - and what fantastically positive comments and encouragements! - wow! - I am blown away by y'all!
Snapper58 - so sad the staff were joking about your perfectly normal reaction - a little sensitivity from staff is such a tonic… do they really think that making light of a scary experience makes it easier for the patient? I do think it gets easier for the patient to 'zone out' and adopt a 'mind over matter' approach - but this is awesome - not mockable… except by the Central Character should she so wish…
Alabamasan - you are so right! My Hickmann line has been so much easier today! Thank you so much for your insight and encouragement.
Peta, LainieG an Ever-one spinning the Hair Experience - made my DIEP scar ache laughing!
I think I have Chemo Brain today - losing words, losing thought trails, losing the plot!
Hugz and Best Wishes to y'all … x
Debtex

Hi ladies back from chemo ,much better having it in the morning rather than late like last time . I did cold cap again even tho I'm still shedding - hope springs eternal . ! Not feeling too bad , bit icky picky but not too bad and I am really trying to drink more this time . Thank you all for ur positive comments , bit whizzy headed to name each person ! God what a great bunch you all are ! Love to all and let's hope for a peaceful restful weekend ( we can hope !!!) xxx
snapper58

Hi everyone, Glad to hear you are all feeling in a positive mood, it makes me smile when I hear about the hairloss and just wondering when mine is going to start. Itchiness has settled down and some is coming out but nothing drastic at the moment, so true that if it's killing the hair then also the Big C is feeling it.

Had two days of lunch out and shopping therapy which has made me more like myself, went for my hickman line today and yes it was doable but had the knee trembles after. They all laughed at the doctor and said to him "look what you've done to the patient", thanks for the comments on this so I will know what to expect. Looking forward to my second chemo and get that first 7 days out of the way.

Best wishes Snapper

LainieG

Hi Peta. You've really cheered me up putting a positive spin on the hair loss. I love that!! It's so true that the hair dying means the cancer cells are dying too. I know what you mean about having an urge to pull it out. I've been the same!! It might not last until my friend comes to shave it off lol xx
Peta

Good afternoon all!

Linzz hopefully you're through the worst of it , I seemed to feel better each passing day.

Lainie I'm with you on the hair, mine is falling out too. I have an irresistible urge to keep pulling lumps out, a bit like when you have a nail that catches, I just can't leave it alone!

I know I'll miss it when it's all gone, but at the moment I think the whole process is bizarrely fascinating - I also keep reminding myself that my hair dying also means that any nasty stray cancer cells will be suffering the same fate - and that this means the chemo is working - so Yey to the hair falling out - its a good sign!
alabamasam

Morning ladies
Debtex, hang on in there with the cold cap, we do have loads of hair so you will lose some, I lost quite a lot throughout my treatment but still never needed a wig plus I only washed my hair once a week, I did use a dry shampoo in between.
geeG the Hickman line pinches a little & I found it pulled on my neck when I first had it fitted but within a week it had settled & after 3 weeks when I had the stitches out I could barely feel it.
Hope everyone is ok, these groups really are amazing
Love Sam xxxxx 😊
bettypoppit

Hi geeG, great to hear you are doing ok....brillient and well done you..hope you are able to go gently with the flow the next few days and take really good care of yourself. Hugs xxxx
bettypoppit

Morning lovely ladies 🙂 what an absolute tonic our group is....loving your style Junash 🙂
Have a good one and BIG hugs and caring thoughts especially to those who have just been 'dunked' (please can someone explain this euphemism to a dumb bald broad?) and those soon to start. xxxxx
p.s. I'm just loving the super speedy 'wash & go' and beanie head look.....weird i know 😉 lolol
geeG

Morning Ladies - Day 1/2 - didn't sleep well and took anti emetics early as nausea crept in - but nothing worse - so yes, Debtex - it IS very 'do-able' - I hope your day goes as straightforwardly as yesterday was for me.
Linzz - I so hope things rapidly improve for you today. Re wigs - there's an interesting website called 'wig bank' with sites around UK who deal in secondhand wigs including donations to Maggie Centres - I shall go and visit the Clydebank one once I can try it on "properly" in a week or so…
Junash and Bettypoppit - thank you so much for your kind encouragement and support; and LainieG - all positive strength and vibes as you take this next step… what strength you all show and share here… I still can't believe that this is happening … 'REAL' seems to be an ongoing mountain to climb…
Hugz for y'all today - hoping it'll be an ok one… x
Linzz

Hi Everyone

I’ve had two days of feeling completely wiped out, couldn’t even be bothered to watch tv or read, just wanted to lie still! As s/e go I guess that’s not so bad though. Feeling a bit more lively today so hope to get some fresh air – no lurcher or woodland nearby though so a wander to the shops will have to suffice. I suspect, however, that I will be buying the ingredients and making “go-cake” this afternoon. Sorry if that’s totally TMI

And tomorrow we are going to pick up the wig – had to order without seeing actually colour so that’ll be interesting. Some nice coffee shops nearby so plan a nice afternoon out.

I find it amazing how slow time goes at the time when you’re worrying and stressing, but how fast it seems to have gone when you find yourself nearly at the end of another week. Even for those of us who have had frustrating long waits, I think that by the end of it all in a few months time we will be admiring our new hair and wondering exactly where the winter went.

Junash

Morning all

debtex hope it goes well this morning and you get an easier first week but fantastic that you had two good weeks and got out and about - long may this continue.

GeeG hope you had a decent night and got some sleep - 1st night was worse for me - stress and some nausea but it got better as the day went on.

Laine - i was out & about yesterday in my beanie - and was absolutely fine - noticed a couple of glances when I was in Costa coffee but im assuming that its because I look so stunning - hahaha. You'll be fine once its out - its a toughie but we're all strong and with you.

Hate that I cant read previous messages on my phone as don't want to miss anyone - am thinking of you all.

we're having a mini heat wave it seems - 21 degrees forecast for this weekend - lovely but I'll be sweating buckets in my hats!

LainieG

Well its started. Just ran my fingers through my hair and came away with a handful of loose hairs. In a way I'm glad it's started. I'll be over this hurdle soon. I've asked a friend to come and shave it all off. She's a naturally funny person and I know she'll make me laugh even while I'm crying😁. On the plus side I went out shopping today and got some lovely hats and scarves so I'll enjoy wearing them. I'm going to get my wig tomorrow too so it's good timing I suppose. I haven't had the tender scalp, just a mild itch so didn't expect it to happen so quickly! Hope everyone's ok, especially those who've had recent dunking 😊😊
bettypoppit

Hi geeG...well done you...you've done real good and great that you are being so upbeat 🙂 fingers and toes crossed that you will get to the GF show...i would urge you to keep your fluids up AND take all the meds as advised...I'm convinced that made all the difference for me.

Hi Debtex, great to hear from you and really good to hear you have been getting on with life - fab 🙂 i have found getting out with my lurcher girl for some fresh air and exercise has been an absolute tonic.

Take care ladies and good luck for anyone starting treatment tomorrow (sorry completely lost track!). Hugs xxxxxx
geeG

Aw Debtex … I had hoped the cold cap would have served you better. I wimped out of using the cold cap and think I shall go to OH's hairdresser to get shorn 2 weeks Monday, as we then go away for 3 nights and I can get used to wiggie with OH before seeing friends & colleagues… I think asking my own hairdresser to do it would be 10x harder… and I'm really not sure I am strong enough to wait on it falling out…

Junash, Bettypoppit, LainieG, Sue456 and Peta - thanks so much for all your kind best wishes for this afternoon - they WORKED! Apart from being a tad nerve-wracking coz of first time (and staff who seem to have forgotten what "best customer service skills" could be) the afternoon went well. I guess staff are just too overworked to feel they need to bother with anything other than answering questions and the technical aspects of the job…

It was a million times easier than I expected tho - I feel most fortunate…. Have to say the DHickmann Line remains very "nippy" at the moment - I'm sure it will settle down over the next few weeks but just now - ouch! - paracetamol helps for 4 hours, so I am trying to ignore it now till bedtime…

Now The Next Wait… feeling hopeful for a day out to the Good Food Show on Saturday (assuming the tablet steroids work as well as the infusion seems to be…) …

Hoping yous all doing ok and SEs banished - hugz n loadsaluv x
LainieG

Hi Debtex. It's lovely to hear from you. So glad you're feeling well. Good luck for tomorrow xxx
Debtex

Hi ladies I haven't posted for a while but I have been checking in to see how everyone is doing . I had quite a tough week one but then week 2 and 3 I felt pretty good . I have been riding my horse too ! Also went to a Look gd feel better session which was lovely And has inspired me not to give up with my appearance . Despite cold cap I have started shedding today and my hair has gone v dry And strange - it almost feels like a wig already . My 2 nd chemo is tomo at 9 - pretty early ! Love and best wishes to everyone xx
Peta

Good luck later geeG

Have a lovely lunch and see you on the other side! It feels much better when you're moving along the road, and you're nearly there now. 🙂

Let us know how you got on won't you? A lightweight outfit sound good for the day. Xxx
geeG

Hi Luvs - like others I wonder how I would be doing without you all - Thank You So Much for all your best wishes for today… OH has today and tomorrow off and we're going out for lunch in a few minutes time - I shall probably die of heat stroke as I'm intending to keep my fleece on as I don't have a scarf that matches with my colourful lightweight outfit (think it'll be good for chemo) and the Hickmann line is really obvious today the way it was coiled yesterday after being re-dressed - loL - me fretting about a scarf!
Bag packed and ready to go… NOT! … but lunch with OH - yes indeed!
Here's wishing you all as good a day as can be with minimal SEs… and hugs x
sue456

hi ladies.
thank u for kind words and support.
GeeG i wish u all the best for today hope it goes ok. hope everyone else is not suffering to much.
well im of to hospital again to get it drained again. hopefully last time. sue xxx
LainieG

Thanks Betty and Julie. You've made me feel much better about the hair. Still a bit worried and will be until it happens but your positive attitudes are definitely cheering me up. I am looking forward to the quick showers. It must be so nice not having to dry your hair. I'm going to stop moaning about this now and deal with it when it happens. Xxxxx
Junash

This morning is a much happier morning than yesterday - hair halo and beanie on - feeling empowered along with Betty - and no time at all in the shower 🙂

Love to all xx

bettypoppit

Hi LainieG, the hair going is such a marker of what is happening to us. I was worried about how ugly i would look - but in reality i don't look that bad...in fact im even quite pleased with how i look with my beanie on - now THAT's vanity lolol - it's certainly a hell of a lot prettier than with a stocking on for wig trying...no comparison. Believe me, and i'm no Elle Mcpherson 😉 For me it's been ok - again, far far better than the imagined outcome. I hope you can be easier on yourself and big hugs xxx
LainieG

Betty it's lovely to hear you talk about feeling empowered. I hope that's how I'll feel. Right now I'm just worried about how I'll cope with hair loss. I feel ridiculous worrying like this over something that shouldn't be so important when you think about everything else we've all been through. You'd think after a double mastectomy and then all the SEs we're all facing that hair loss would be easier.
GeeG good luck for tomorrow. Sending hugs 😊😊
Zelda hope all went well today 😊😊
Good luck to anyone else starting or having their second sessions this week. 💞
bettypoppit

Hi Junash...spot on with "i think it makes it real" ... that's just how i felt when i looked at my buzzed self in the mirror for the first time...and burst into tears 😞
Moving on mentally today and this may sound really weird, but out walking my lurcher girl today - bright purple beanie on full show, i couldn't help feeling empowered, self confident even, with the way I'm handling this whole caboodle and getting over each new hurdle!. (In recent years I've struggled endlessly with self doubts, so i am coming at this from a low point). It's probably just another bl***y se of the steroids and once I'm off the high it will be 'business as usual', but i wonder if anyone else can understand this?
Good luck and hugs to all, especially those starting tomorrow xxxxx
Junash

Zelda hope it went well today and GeeG sleep well and good luck tomorrow. Xx

Sue, hang on in there - bloody waiting is awful!

Who else is starting or on their second this week - Murphy?? I can never scroll back down to previous posts when I'm commenting so sometimes lose track. Anyhow, you're all in my thoughts, so happy I found you lot as I think you're the only ones that 'get it' xxx

geeG

Hi Pals - good to catch up with you - I shall be relieved when tomorrow and this waiting are over - it gets sooooo hard to psyche yourself up … Sue456 you have ALL my sympathy as the waiting is awful. I was in to the clinic today and the Lead nurse was shocked at how long it took for me to get my op and finally thru to chemo (my first sign of things amiss was 1 June - saw GP on 3 June - diagnosed at clinic 23 June - op 3 September … ah well…) …
Thanks for your kind encouragement Peta. I think I might take a sleeping tablet tonight to make sure I sleep … hugs to Everyone x
Junash

Think it makes it real which I know is ridiculous as we've all had chemo / treatment but it feels so harsh. Glad it's done now though - I was concerned what sam would think - son aged 10 - but he's been great - phew xxx
LainieG

I'm dreading losing my hair. I didn't think I'd feel so bad about it. Slightly itchy just now but not as dramatic as yours Peta although we're both at the same stage. I just want it to happen so that it's over with. I think I'm more worried about the process of hair falling out than the result afterwards. Just another hurdle to get over xxx
Peta

Big hugs Junash, it's so good to hear that your friends helped and you feel better now. I feel like it's one of those hurdles too and I'll be pleased when it's over and done with now. My hair was so itchy it woke me up last night and I've been scratching like a demon, so it can't be far off.

We'll all be bald and beautiful together soon. Xxxx.