1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting chemo October 14

AMDriver

Re: Starting chemo October 14

MysteryMouse I had no choice on the PICC line I was told that I was having one. Even last week when I was hospitalised because I was neutropenic and had a throat infection and my PICC LIne was blocked they said that if they could not unblock it then the would remove it an insert another one as that was the only way they delivered chemo. Certainly everyone I saw last time had one,

Sue, sorry to hear it was a difficult day yesterday, I hope you are feeling better today and will feel better tomorrow.

Jingo_x how is your head now? The pain has lessened for me but I am losing loads of hair. No bald patches yet so will be using the cold cap tomorrow for my second FEC.

I've got my LGFB next week - I too don't wear much make up, and can obviously cover up hair loss but am concerned that I don't have the skills to paint eyebrows and I will end up looking like a clown!

Hope everyone feels better tomorrow xx

LainieG

Hi Kitten. Those recipes would be great thanks. I'm really struggling to find drinks that I can take. The chemo taste is really awful isn't it.
The frozen tropical fruit has been a great tip too. It tastes lovely and is really soothing for a sore mouth.
😊😊
I'm still struggling to sleep. I'm getting only one or two hours sleep at a time so going to bed soon to try again. Sooo tired 😪😪
bettypoppit

Hi Kitten - yes please for both drinks...I'm really struggling with both drinking the ridiculous 3 ltrs as sick of water abd the vial taste in my mouth.

I am thankfully doing much better today. I phoned the chemo helpline and was advised to take both lots of anti-sickness meds about a couple of hours apart and over the 3 days, irrespective of whether i felt i needed them - I've learnt my lesson on that one. I also had the DN give me another jab as well as the immune boosting jab earlier...so i too am like a pin cushion and rattling for Britain! Lol feeling like a wet ragg today so my earlier intentions to move off the sofa haven't materialied...oh well.

I've lost track of who queried red flushed face, hot and cold...but that is me too.

Hope we can all get a good relaxing evening and thinking good thoughts for all those with treatments still to come this week. Xxxxx
Epicureankitten

Hello ladies - hope you are enjoying a little of the Autumn sunshine like me. I have just got back from having my PICC line inserted as I too have "deep set" veins and because I have had my lymph nodes removed they can only use one arm so I was beginning to look a little like a pin cushion and covered in bruises which was causing the nurses a little concern!

Nicnac15 - we both started our chemo on the 20th I think if I read your post correctly - so we will have our next one on the same Monday too x fingers crossed it is plain sailing x

Sue - that sounds like a difficult day for you - hope today is a little better?

Junash - my ears are very oily when I wake up in the morning which is very strange but tend to dry a little during the day causing itchy skin which a little e45 helps.

Betty - thank goodness the DN was out so soon - how are you feeling today?

Lainie - I know what you mean about the sweet taste - i have been drinking warm Ribena as it's already sweet ish and it has masked the taste a bit.

I'm not sure if any of you ladies have heard of "chemo moonshine"? My mum has just made me 3litres of the stuff - it is amazing 😊
Completely non alcoholic - it's sort of naturally sweet but clean and sharp too and has spices in it that settle the tummy as I'm really suffering with a sensitive stomach and mega sore mouth. I will ask her the recipe if anyone would like it? You can drink it hot or cold - I prefer it hot - it's strong in taste which is good as it masks the chemo taste!
She has also made me a ginger and lemongrass cordial to drink hot in green tea or cold with sparking water over crushed ice (again so soothing for sore gums) - will get her recipe for that too x x

Linzz

Sue456 – sorry you had a right time of it. We’re all het up about everything anyway so extra stress is not welcome!

Murphy1963 – I’m not sure when the eyebrows go but I think if they’ve held on for the FEC they are totally done for after you start the doxataxel. If that’s the schedule you’re on (it’s mine, 3FEC + 3T) so I’m clinging to the hope that I’ll still have brows and lashes for xmas nights out. Fingers (and everything else) crossed.

Bettypoppit – urgh, sounds awful. When I felt nauseous I couldn’t have tolerated a biscuit but a cream cracker very slowly nibbled worked really well. Thank goodness the nurse came out in good time to turn the tide for you.

Junash – I have noticed the skin inside my ears to be shiny. Not necessarily waxy, perhaps oily? They might always have been like this of course, just hidden but now revealed by my pixie cut. I HAVE noticed my skin being far more oily. At the same time as being really dry. And spotty. A truly great combination.

I’m going to a look good feel better session next month, as everyone else seems to have enjoyed them. My eyebrows are very dark so I think I’ll be able to get away with being heavy handed whilst I learn how to draw ‘em on. Though to be honest, I know ladies who wax em off and draw ’em on as their normal routine. Ouch. 

I’m on cycle 1, day 16 and a few hairs have now started to shed. Alas, like MysteryMouse I had just got to the stage where I wondered if a miracle of hair retention was going to happen. Sigh. My OH has been jokingly tugging on it up till now, but the reality is dawning and he is making sure not to touch it – suspect he knows I’ll claim it’s his fault entirely and nowt to do with the chemicals.

Junash

Hi mystery mouse

My veins are deep set apparently - always have problems finding them for bloods etc. so a picc line was suggested to make my and nurses life easier.

I think deep set is a medical term for covered in excess fat in my case 🙂
LainieG

Sue so sorry you had such a hard time at the hospital and then sickness too. I haven't been too sick but really struggling to sleep since #2 on Friday. Hot and cold all day and night but temp ok when I take it. Is anyone else having this? Also finding it difficult to eat and drink. Everything has a strange sweet taste, even plain water. It's horrible. Having to force down drinks especially.

Betty what a horrible time you had with sickness. Hope you're feeling better.

Girls, the LGFB session is great and you'll get a brilliant goody bag full of lovely makeup and skin care suited to your complexion. GeeG and I felt great after it. 😊😊

I still have my eyebrows and I'm dreading them going more than my hair too. My eyelashes still there too. They go too don't they? Really dreading that one!!!

Good luck everyone. Hope SEs get a bit better xxx
jingo_x

Bettypoppit sorry to hear the evening didnt go weel, but I am learning from your lesson and quickly took the tablets I was delaying this morning!

First round I slept like a log every night, last night after my second dose I could sleep a wink, very frustrating.

MM I was offered a PICC line yesterday during my second dose because the nurse was struggling to get the cannula in, but she was stressed, short staffed and had a queue of patients so I think it was 'easier for her' if that makes sense (thats not a whinge - she was lovely but I felt very sorry for how stretched she was). I looked at the leaflet but decided not to do it yet, see how number 3 goes.

hope everyone has a good day xx

MysteryMouse

Hi Ladies,  A lovely sunny day here which lifts the spirits 🙂  To NicNac15 no, I decided not to try the cold cap mainly because I didn't want to spend any extra time in the unit and also because for some women it doesn't work. I basically just wanted to get the chemo session done and then 'escape'.  

One question though, lots of ladies seem to have a picc line.  Is this normal?  I haven't been offered one.  Do you have to have had problems first? I am going to one of the look good feel better (or whatever they are called) sessions in a couple of weeks and am looking forward to it.  I don't tend to wear much make-up but think I will look washed out once hair has all gone.  Have invested in several pairs of dangly earings though and some lovely scarves etc too as still want to look feminine.

Anyway, I am not going to waste this lovely day and so am off to walk my dog.

I hope everyone has a good day and those that have been feeling really sick I hope it eases 🙂

MM

xx

bettypoppit

Hi all, Sue456 im so sorry to hear you had a right old day of it and i hope it goes smoothly from now on.

Well it served me right i suppose, that after being so chuffed at how treatment #2 went yesterday morning, i ended up being very sick at around 6pm - strongly suspect my own fault for having lunch and delayjng anti-sickness meds in attempt to get a good nights sleep - well that backfired spectacularly. Had to have DN out for anti sickness jab...she was lovely and professional and gave me confidence. .it worked after an hour, then sipping water for next 3 hours then tested my stomach with a digestive and then took another AS tabket which worked....phew. got to sleep about 1am. Slept through till 7am :). Ladies, i think there is a moral to my tale 🙂

On the eyebrows. .like you murphy, i don't often wear make up but am also hopefully going to LGFB session soon to learn how to paint on eyebrows. Mine are au natural having avoided the usual waxing for sometime...looking a little Dennis Healey if I'm honest...oh what a picture of beauty i am lololol

Hope you are all doing good today. Xxxxx
Murphy1963

Hi sue, hope you feel better as the day goes on. Diane good luck for today, hope all goes well for you.

I'm dreading my eye brows going even more than I did my head hair. They seem to still be there. I usually have them threaded and tinted but not had that for a while now, so they are defo a lot lighter than usual. I'm going to a looking good feeling good session next week so I'm looking forward to that. I don't usually wear a lot of make up but feel I need to do something with my eyes else I just look washed out atm. I've heard from lots of folk the looking good sessions are really good, I think a couple of ladies from here went to the glasgow one recently.

Righty I'm off out for a walk in the pouring rain with the pooch. Having a wee reiki session this afternoon. Don't know how I'll ever fit work in once all this malarkey is finished!!!!

Good day to all my buddies xxxxxx
sue456

hi Diane
yeah my treatment plain is the same as u. i didn't go for a wig didn't like the thought of it got some nice scarves. sue xxx
nicnac15

Oh sue456 sounds horrendous hopefully your next one will be alot easier and run smoother take care and relax these next few day the sickness does go off had mine for about 4 days after then a day really tired now i feel fine like normal. Ive got 6 sessions of chemo every 3 weeks then 3 weeks of radio and then tablets for 5 years. Xxx
Junash

Agh Sue, sorry you had all the extra stress - it's tough enough without all the additional problems. hope the SE subside - picc line is fab, have had no problems with it so st least that's in.

How is everyone else? Lainie Peta are you feeling less groggy.

Diane - good luck today, hope it goes as well as possible xx. I've got another 4 chemos, then an evenining out op, then radiotherapy - roll on easter I think.

Lots of ladies on here now, sorry if I've missed anyone starting or having treatment this week.

Very random question - anyone's ears extra waxy? Mine are gross at the mo, not sure if it can be possibly be chemo related or that now I'm bald I'm noticing my ears? Day 8 after 2nd FEC - have been tired over weekend but energy levels coming back. Am now on eyebrow watch - whrn do they go? need something to obsess over! Xx
Dianexx1962

Oh sue poor u ! X I've been told expect to here all day as well,my appointment it for eleven but seeing wig lady first ,feeling pretty calm to be honest had an Okish sleep on and off really all night !
What your treatment plan ? Mine is 6 chemos every three weeks for 18 weeks then straight onto radiotherapy .
Hope you have an ok day with not too much sickness going on x x
sue456

morning ladies
hope it all goes ok 4 u 2day Diane . don't for get we are all individuals.
first one yesterday 4 me was at hospital 6 hours.
when for picc line first they were short staffed so running late finally get in hour later. then i cause them to run even more late she has picc line in half way and say's to me very sorry we have a problem.
well at this stage me being me panicked and put my heart rate sky high and alarm starts going of.
they get me to calm down after i while and tell me my Vien had shut down with line only being half way in.
so they take it out and start again on another vien. that one when ok. lol had to be me.

i come out and its 12.30 chemo at 1.30. so have small lunch and go to chemo unit.
Big notice up on board DUE TO HIGH VOLUME OF STAFF SICKNESS CHEMO CLINIC IS RUNNING VERY LATE. So hour and a half later i go in not there fault i no but i felt it was very rushed. so finally out of hospital with huge bright yellow bucket for nurse to flush picc line and loads of Drugs dressings and injections.
sorry for long post nearly done.
was fine up until about three hours after treatment then THEN BOOM it kicked in sooooo tired and feeling sick took tablets they didn't work went to bed haven't slept much feeling a tad better this morning. sorry for going on just felt i had to get off my chest lol. sue xxx
Dianexx1962

Many thanks for all your good luck wishes x

A little bit about myself folks...... I'm 52 live in Prestatyn North Wales have one daughter age 19 and a cocker spaniel dog called Oscar age 11 .
My first ever mammogram back in August spotted my 9mm cancer which I've since been told would never of appeared as a lump for a good 18months..... I now thank god I wasn't called for my mammogram when I turn 50 as it would not of shown.
My surgery went well had clear margins and non in the lymph I had problems after surgery with by boob looking bigger than Jordan's and had an infection which resulted in a overnight stay in hospital and having nearly a pint drained out the following day god it was so uncomfortable !
My cancer is triple negative grade three so after chemo and radiotherapy that's it as far as treatment goes,
Still feel as though I'm dreaming all this as like u all no doubt u think my god is this really happening ?
Thank you all for making me feel so welcome on here I've been reading back at the beginning of this thread so I feel as though I know most of your individual journeys, you all are so supportive of one another which goes without saying is a credit to you all x x
Good night folks hope I sleep !!! Will keep u updated
God bless
Diane x
LainieG

Glad you're feeling ok Jingo. Like you I went in at 11.15 on Fri and didn't get away til 4.45. I had to repeat blood tests then my blood pressure was very low and had to get it back up again. Just glad it went ahead xx
jingo_x

Bettypoppit glad #2 went well for you , very jealous that it was so quick I went in at 11 but didn't escape until 5.30 as short staffed and cold cap took some sorting out. Happy to report that so far I am feeling a little better than round 1, so off to bed early now to see if I can get a good sleep.
Night everyone well done to thise treated today and good luck to all those having treatment this week x
LainieG

Good luck tomorrow Diane. Hope all goes well xx
nicnac15

Good luck dianexx1962 for tomorrow
sue456 well done today on your first one x
Bettypoppit well done on your second round hope the side effects are minimal i have my 2nd one two weeks today do you know if side effects are suppose to get worse as we go through them?

Mystery mouse re hair did u try the cold cap on your first one i too have all my hair at moment but only had first fec a week ago im being so careful with it when i wash it or when i put it up dreading it falling out and scared its just past shoulder length at mo. Xx
Peta

Good luck tomorrow Diane - let us know how you get on, I'll be thinking of you.

Mystery mouse - I have tomato cravings, I'm eating about ten to fifteen a day now. Tomato soup! I hadn't thought of that, I'll get some tomorrow! Mmmmmm...
LainieG

Glad today went well Betty. Keep well xxx
bettypoppit

Hi all lovely ladies. Very pleased to report that #2 done - no waiting around this time and i was sooooo much more relaxed. All done by 11am. Home by 11.30 and just had veggie soup and bread. Feeling much better in myself now, than the first dose. Fingers and toes double crossed. Now 'all' I've got to do is drink 2 ltrs this afternoon and tonight....can't believe that my wee has turned carrot orange already!!!!
mysterymouse - i feel just like you in my wig ... a "fake" but I'm really comfy in my beanie hats 🙂

Hope everone us doing good xxxxx
Dianexx1962

Good luck Sue today x my first tomorrow x
MysteryMouse

Hi ladies, apologies but I can't remember everyone's names.

Up early this morning for blood test.  Due to have 2nd chemo on Thursday.  My hair started falling out on day 14 (I had up until that point started to believe that maybe I would be the one person who would keep her hair). Coming out in clumps now (feel like a moulting dog)! 😞  I leave a trail of hair wherever I have been).  Even though I knew it would happen, it still caused a few tears.  So, think I will have to just bite the bullet and shave in a day or so. I have a very nice wig but feel such a 'fake' when trying it on not sure I will have the confidence to actually wear it out.  Have bought plenty of hat/scarves etc and they are so much more comfy.  My head too like a lot of the ladies has been very sore.  I guess this will stop once hair all gone?

My cravings after my first chemo was for tomato soup.  It is all I wanted 🙂  Couldn't drink alcohol at all until this last week.  Prior to that a glass of wine just tasted like poison!  Thankfully it hasn't affected my ability to drink copious amounts of tea 🙂  

This site is lovely to read everyone's stories.  It is so good to know that others are going through the same and are getting through it.  

I had to laugh about some-one whose husband had tried her wig on.  My husband and son (aged 20) have both done the same, in fact they couldn't wait! It was so funny my husband looked like a cross between Boris Johnson and one of the men out of Abba.  Was a funny moment 😮

Anyway ladies, good luck to everyone who is having their second dose this week and to everyone I hope you have a good week and that the side effects are not too bad.

Keep laughing !! 🙂

MM

xx

sue456

morning ladies
thank u all for good luck and encouraging posts they really help loads. going to be a long day picc line at 10.00 then chemo at 1.30 . let u no how it goes. sue xxx
Junash

Morning all - good luck to you lovely ladies having / starting chemo today. Sue at last you're on your way.

Its doable, drink water constantly, eat frozen fruit - pineapple as you can taste this - during administration of it - seems to help with mouth ulcers.

I'm happy to join the queue of slapping people who tell me I'll beat this as I'm so strong - like its some lifestyle choice - oh and how great that I'm signed off work, lucky thing!!!
S C R E A M then breathe.

Lots of love XX

bettypoppit

Hi LainieG, glad you had a chuckle over my mincing 😉 Also, good tip regarding moving about re dvt risk...I'm going to make an extra effort this week as it is something that worries me a little...i just about shifted from bed to sofa and back to bed my first week1...not enough really.
Hope everybody is doing good ... considering and anyone going for a first dose, i can agree with all that has been said before, that the reality isn't anywhere near as bad as the imagined. ..and I'm needle phobic!!
Hugs xxxxx
LainieG

Sorry nicnac and Murphy not Barb and Murphy. Head's all over the place lol xx
LainieG

Betty I'm lying in bed reading your post and chuckling at the image of you mincing around the park 😁😁

Barb and Murphy I too had an achy leg after first fec but it was in a varicose vein. I only have one and it doesn't usually give me any pain. The nurse said I have to try to walk around more in the first few days (not easy when you feel rotten!!) because of the risk of blood clots. Trying to do that this time.
Love to everyone starting 1st or 2nd cycles today and this week 💖
Murphy1963

Hi nicnac was just reading your post. I also have a very achey leg. I had it last session too. Really weird that we would have that se, wonder if anyone else has it? Glad your se have been minimal xxx
nicnac15

Welcome diane i had my first chemo monday 20th oct and was so nervous. I tried the cold cap not sure if you are im struggling with the thought of my hair going but have got a wig in place. The overall experience wasnt that bad make sure u take some ice cubes or lollies to suck on. As for side effects had some nausea first few days but apart from that seem to have done pretty well but everyones different im trying to keep working as i work for myself.

Day 6 after first fec and Feeling a little achy today in my legs of all places but on a plus note the headache is going slowly. not seen any difference in my hair yet but early days.
Good luck to everyone this week. Xxx
bettypoppit

Hi Dianexx1962 and welcome - albeit regrettably - I'm sure you will get lots of tips and support from all the lovely ladies here 🙂

Re hair: I'm day 20 today and my stubble is looking patchy so i guess it will go pretty quick after my second dose tomorrow. I'm shedding 'downstairs' but OMG the itching at times has been unbearable...and nearly always when out in public..I've been mincing my way around the park with my dog! lolol

Re paracetamol: i was told that i could take paracetamol for general headaches and pain relief - but ONLY after taking my temperature and if i didnt think i had an infection (as it masks your true temperature). I had daily - low intensity headaches for the first week or so. As i didn't want to put any more pills into my stomach i bought a headache stick (like a lipsil) that you use externally over your forehead. It worked for me, but mine were only dull aches.

Now to bed. .early start tomorrow. Good luck, big hugs to all ladies having treatment this week..we all seem to be doing 'ok', up & down but getting on with it....i think we are all pretty awesome 🙂 xxxxx
Barb23

Ps I know where your coming from sue, I am also fed up with, your strong you'll be fine, agh hh I to May end up punching someone too xx
Barb23

Evening Ladies

It's a good week since I last posted, I have been on week three since my first dose and have been a busy bee trying to fit everything into my good week: bike riding, lunches/ loads of coffee and cakes. I have also had the hair trauma, my shoulder length hair started coming out in clumps at day 14, so on day 15 I got a pixie cut, had loads of compliments at the school gate 😉 felt quite liberated, sadly it only lasted 3 days before I asked hubby to shave it all off. It's wierd how I was really panicking about my hair, but the hats are out and am getting used to being bald, love the shower and go! Just wish I looked like Sinead Oconner!!

Went out for a lovely meal on Saturday night with the family and wore the wig! Think that will take getting used to, took it off as soon as I got in the car! Itchy.
If any of you ladies haven't been to a look good feel better session, you must, I went earlier in the week,had a lovely afternoon and came home with a fab bag of freebies. So time saved doing the hair is now spent on putting eye make up on 😉
I been dipping in to read your posts, they keep me going thank you all, welcome to all the new ladies, sorry your here , but as the others say the sharing of stories/ info is really helpful and uplifting and funny at times 😉😘

Re flu jabs, I have children aged 10 and 13 and was told by my chemo nurse that they and the hubby need to get it, they both had the nasal vaccine, hubby had an injection,this week, I was also told to have it, but my bloods were to low earlier in the week when I was meant to have it, strange how advice differs around the country,!?I'm in Cumbria
Apologies for not replying direct to individuals, but need time to catch up with names etc, have taken steroids today in prep for my next dose tomorrow morning, so think they have made my brain s bit mushy too!
Good luck to all having treatment this week xxx Off so chill in front of Downtown
Love and hugs to all

Barb 😘💕
LainieG

Sue I know how you feel. People don't know what to say and they think they're doing the right thing to encourage us but this is where the forum works best. We know that we're all going through the same thing and can get lots of support from people who do know the right things to say. We can cry, rant and laugh at each other and perhaps just accept that our friends and family are doing their best in what must be a really difficult time for them too. Lots of love and good luck for tomorrow Sue 💖💖💖
AMDriver

I know Sue, Being brave? there's no choice, it's bloody horrible and there IS NO CHOICE! And everyone says that I will be fine but what do they know - they don't have to go through it......

sue456

jingo-x
i sometimes want to scream at them and say u don't get it. ive been so emotional tonite can't deal with anything its horrible can't snap out of it. hubby finding it hard bless him i can see him trying to think what to say not to upset me. hopefully i will be better after I've started chemo tomorrow.
jingo_x

sue456 - I know how you feel - the world and his mother keeps telling me they know I will beat this 'because i am strong'.  Aaaaargh!!! If it was that straightforward!!!

Epicureankitten

Hi Ladies - hope you are all ok-ish today.

Thank you for all your responses to my hair question, I guess I have a few days wear still out of this mop of blonde fuzz on my head! Am still chuckling about the "other hair" comments and will now find myself checking daily! 😉

I think it's pretty fair to say that today I am a little emotionally unstable.... I have ranted at Natwest Customer services, told a woman her fortune when her inability to drive safely and considerately nearly caused a serious accident and I have cried, sorry, sobbed at "The Grinch who Stole Christmas" and "The Goonies" 😳😳 I guess it's to be expected!
Here's hoping tomorrow will be a little brighter!

Xxx
sue456

if one more person say's u will be fine to me i think i will punch them
Dianexx1962

Thank you all so much for your lovely welcome x yes Petra keeping a 'My journey Diary' which I'm finding useful already in checking dates etc ! Will defo try the frozen fruits as well x another question when does the hair start to disappear ?
Good luck to everybody this week having chemo
Diane x
Murphy1963

Hi ladies, hope everyone is having a lovely Sunday. Been shopping today and bought my first Xmas pressie, the weeks are going by so fast it won't be long till Santa is here. Need to get organised!!

Sue456, I am sure everything will go ok for you tomorrow. It's a shame you're not spending today as you would've liked, it must be hard when you're not happy with your child's choice of partner.

Welcome dianexx1962, I'm sure you'll get lots of support, advice and hopefully a few laughs along the way. You will be fine on Tuesday, and fingers crossed you're able to continue working, a lot of ladies do.

Peta, I don't even want to comment on the pic I have of you in my head with your frozen pees and your hairy bits 🙂

Zelda, oh dear, I have no idea about shingles. I think if you had cp when you were younger you won't get cp again, it would be shingles you would get. Everything is such a worry and trust it to be a Sunday you want to speak to someone. I checked this helpline and the Macmillan one too but they are both closed on a Sunday.

I know we've all spoken about the flu jab. I don't know about England, but in scotland three is a programme running for all primary school children to have the nasal spray immunisation for flu. My son went to get his today and they wouldn't give it to him as they said the nasal spray is a live vaccine and as I'm having chemo he wasn't able to have it. He would need to get the injection through the GP. Don't know if anyone else knew this, I know there are some other ladies on here with younger children.

To anyone having treatment this week I have fingers, toes, legs and arms crossed se are minimal xxxxxxxx
LainieG

Re the paracetamol issue. I'm going to go without today and hope what's left of my cocktail of painkillers is enough to control the fibromyalgia. I'm just too worried about masking any fever. So far so good. I'd rather do without if I can xx
Zelda

Hi Ladies My husband has just being diagnosed with shingles and I'm worried I may be at risk of developing chickenpox although I had it as a child. I rang the nurse at the hospital she wasn't much use to be honest and said to ring my Oncologists secretary tomorrow. Has anyone any idea if I will be at risk Thanks Ladies xx
LainieG

Hi Dianexx1962. Welcome. I had much the same experience as Peta. I'm on day 3 FEC 2 and feeling a bit groggy and mouth starting to get sore again. I have really good mouth wash this time from the doc. It's gelclair and it coats my mouth to help with the dryness. I'm also trying out Peta ' s frozen fruit tip. Don't worry too much. It's not as bad as I expected and you'll be happier once you're on your way. Xxx
Peta

Re: Starting chemo October 14q

Hi Dianexx 1962

Welcome to the October group!

We were all really nervous too, but have a read of the discussion from the beginning when you have time. The chemo has been much easier than I expected it to be and most of the other ladies seem to be saying the same thing.

I felt fine for the first couple of days, a bit woozy and tired, and then got pretty tired by day 4 - energy levels maybe down to 20% - but then started to feel much better and by then end of the first week I was feeling pretty good - energy 60-70%. Week 3 I was feeling pretty much back to normal.

I found it really helpful to write a diary of symptoms and record temperature for each day, because it repeats in the next cycle so it's good to remember how you were on each day so you can remember how you were exactly on each day. The diary also helps you see if you are feeling better or worse, especially if your thinking gets a bit foggy, which mine did for the first few days.

I found the chemo drugs made me really constipated from day one. I've taken meds from day one this time, I wish I'd done so in my first cycle.

My mouth tastes funny and is very dry. Vaseline on lips is good. Fruit smoothies, frozen tropical fruit in bags sucked frozen, bananas all seem to help.

I'd think if I worked in a gift shop I'd be able to do it, but a lift in the car and a stool to sit on at work might be good!

Other ladies will have other tips, we all seem to be reacting in slightly different ways - but try not to be too nervous, none of us have found it to be terrible!

Good luck and let us know how you get on on Tuesday.

Good luck Sue456 too - I know you've waited ages to get the go ahead. Xxx.

Peta x
Peta

EP kitten

My head started to hurt like sunburn before my hair started to fall out, it got quite painful by about day 12 first cycle and then started to fall out day 14. By day 16 it was coming out in clumps, particularly when I pulled it, which I just couldn't resist doing. Over the next couple of days it started coming out when I was asleep and getting in my eyes and up my nose and just getting everywhere so although I still had quite a lot of hair I just shaved it all off to bald, which also got rid of the sore head pain.

I still have all my pubes and hairy legs, I at least thought it would go from my legs! I do have eyebrows still which is good. I met a lady the other day who only lost one eyebrow, which seemed a bit mean but quite amusing! 😉

Good luck with the hair bit, I'm getting used to bald now, and showering is so much easier! I'm slapping on lots of E45 cream because my scalp and face is a bit dry and that's quite soothing.
Peta

Nicnac I found putting a bag of frozen peas on my head helped with the headache a bit! I looked weird, but hey! 😄