1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting chemo October 14

bettypoppit

Re: Starting chemo October 14

Hi Jingo_x, I hope your pain has eased and you are more comfortable now and not worrying overly - so much easier to say than do I know. I see we need to shuffle up on the finished-treatment-podium tomorrow for you .... 😀👍😀 yeah.  We will be ready to do so. xx

Peta

Oh Lainie! Well it is good to know they are taking such good care of you. I won't hope you get out soon this time, I hope you get well soon!! Subtle but important difference! Xxx

jingo I hope you feel better tomorrow and are not worrying yourself too much. I know you will be, but I hope you're not if you know what I mean.

And talk of eggs at breakfast time- what could be more natural. 😉
jingo_x

Lainie, the way you are going you are going to scoop up multiple awards at the end of this!  Glad that you are getting treatment and hope you will be feeling good very soon now they know what it is xx

Peta - I know what you mean about aches and pains that feel worse when we focus on them.  The pain in my side is better today - yesterday it felt more like a pain inside me so I wondered if it might be my ovaries throwing one of of my last remaining eggs out! I had my coil removed 2 weeks ago and I guess there might be some gynae related changes going on inside.  Sorry too much information for those of you having breakfast 🙂

bettypoppit

Oh LainieG, my heart goes out to you as you have had such a time of it - in and out of hospital, but fantastic job that they have finally got tobthe bottom 9f your pains and got you straight back in for treatment right away. Well done NHS i say. Hope you will very very soon be on the up. Thinking if you and hugs xxxxx
LainieG

You're so right Linzz. We're lucky to have the NHS and I'm glad they're on the ball. I stupidly Googled this candida and frightened the life out of myself but prompt treatment is the key to getting rid of it and that's what the NHS is giving me. I don't know yet how long I'll be in but hopefully not too long xxxx
Linzz

We all have a moan about the NHS at times, but being called at nightime and whisked back in for fast treatment... when push comes to shove the NHS is doing us proud.  LainieG I do hope your treatment isn't too awful xx

AMDriver

oh my goodness LainieG!

I am so sorry to hear you are back in hospital - I just hope you are in the right place for the treatment you need. My thoughts and prayers are with you. xx

LainieG

Hi girls. I'm back in hospital unbelievably! Had a call from a doctor at 9 pm saying they had found candida in my blood. It's potentially very serious so I had to come straight back to the hospital to start treatment. Totally fed up now! You'll be sick of hearing me moaning soon xxxx
Peta

It's good to hear you are home Lainie!

Yes, it was me with twitchy eyes - it's gone now, so hopefully yours will go too, it took about 3-4 weeks to leave me.

Apologies for the mod edit of my post below - I just included a link to Boots website, but that's obviously not allowed. ☺️
bettypoppit

Yeah, fabulous news LainieG - you're home and nothing extra horrible to deal with.  The best news. 😃.

I have to say  that i do believe that the pyridoxine for the numb and tingly feet and hands is having an effect...I've only been taking it for 4 days and the symptoms have eased - much more bearable. Cannot think why some onc's aren't prescribing....mine had no issues and was happy to do so. Maybe, try your GP's.

geeG, of course you can join the fb group (didn't want to be pushy so I haven't chased any non joiners but of course, all the posse are welcome) 😀.  If you search for "The October Posse" (ignoring the group with a similar name) and request to join the group, either PETA or myself as admins will get you on board.  (If your real/fb name is very different to your name on here you might want to pm us, so we know it's you as the group is 'closed' and therefore private to us). Look forward to you joining. Xx

geeG

Really good catching up with LainieG this afternoon. She kindly reminded me about the fb page that I have not yet joined … (I think I was in a "difficult place" when this was first happening and lacked energy and motivation to engage with anything) … have I missed the boat - or can I still join the FB page? … please… x
LainieG

I'm home ladies! Yay! Still coughing but no infection and no new blood clots so nothing to worry about. I has a lovely visit from geeG. We chatted for ages and I really enjoyed seeing her. Lovely lady. I now have the tingly fingers and feet and my nails are developing strange lines. I also have the twitchy eyelids that someone mentioned. I think it was Peta?? Very annoying! Xxxx
Debtex

Am driver I got a similar response from my onc re sore tingly toes . He shrugged & said give it 3-6 months . I'm not v happy as it is affecting my walking and my ability to exercise . U am going to request physio and acupuncture to see if that helps x
Peta

Madam my vision has got considerably worse in the last 6 months. ;I just wear reading glasses, the usual age thing. I'm going for an eye test tomorrow, so I'll ask the optician to see what he/she knows about it. I'm not going to get new custom reading glasses;yet, ;I've bought some new cheap off the shelf ones that work pretty well, I thought I'd wait six months and then buy some new proper custom ones once my eyes have settled down to whatever they will be post chemo. I'll let you know if I find out any useful info from the optician.

NicNac I don't think Fast shampoo will work unless you think your hair is breaking and fragile. ;It doesn't have anything in it that will make our hair grow faster, it just conditions it so it doesn't break as much. ;I know that Regaine does work ******* but you should speak to your oncologist to check it's okay for you to use, and it is quite expensive and you do have to use it twice a day, so I decided I wasn't that bothered. ;The reason I know this is because my brother is a Doctor of Pharmacy, he was one of the people who developed Taxotere (please don't throw things at me!smileyfrustrated: ) and I check with him about drugs if I'm not sure and then he checks all the literature.

Lainie, how are you doing? ;I hope you get out today sometime, I know how hard it is to get out once you're in though, so have my DMs to the ready.   xxxxx
Peta

Jingo good luck with the MRI Scan on Monday.  

My breast care nurse agreed to call me as soon as the results of my scans and biopsy came through, and she did as promised, she called me about 5-7 days after each scan, as soon as the info came through.  I didn't have to wait weeks until my next consultant appointment to find out the results.  I did call her up a few times to see if the results were through yet, just to remind her.  So maybe you can have a word with her and see if she will do the same for you, the waiting is absolute agony I know..    

The pain in your pelvis - I had really bad pain in my hip all the time that my femur was under investigation.  It started within a day of me learning that there was 'some kind of tumour' in my femur and it got worse every time I was waiting to go for a new scan and get results.  It mysteriously disappeared when I finally heard that the tumour was benign.  I know that yours may not be the same, but my pain was very, very real - I started walking with a limp and had to prop it up under my bum with a cushion at night to ease the pain.    It went within a day of me getting the all okay, so it was almost certainly in my head, but I was utterly convinced it wasn't at the time.   xxx     

AMDriver

hi LainieG, I hope things are progressing well for you in the hospital, goodness knows you have spent enough time there! Hopefully  you will be released soon and we won't have to get the posse helicopter out!

So sorry to hear of all the aches and pains everyone has, it never occurred to me that we would get different symptoms after chemo had finished! I thought once it was over it was over - more fool me.

Saw my surgeon today and he is very happy with his handiwork and says the incision is healing beautifully. Also saw the oncologist who told me that I have had "the best possible outcome" from the chemotherapy and the operation took out a lump that had no cancer at all! Finally I can going the "I had cancer club" it's seems like a long time. So onto rads now.

On the down side he refused me any medication for my tingling fingers, toes and heels saying it was the Docetaxol that caused it and it would go away over the coming months, same with the leaking eyes. The very mild hot flushes I have been having he put down to my body just recovering from the chemo.

So Madam I think you will finish after me but I will make sure there is space for you on the finished branch no matter what.

Love to all of you suffering at the moment and hopes that things will ease soon.

xx

geeG

… meantime, ladies on the finished-active-treatment-podium - please get ready to shove up a bit as I hope to be able to join you in 2 days time!
Hoping you are making steady forward progress with minimal side effects…
Hugs to Everyone x x x
geeG

… meantime, ladies on the finished-active-treatment-podium - get ready to shove up a bit as I hope to be able to join you in 2 days time! Hugs x x x
geeG

Hi LainieG - I shall be at the Beatson for Consultant appt around lunchtime today, and rads thereafter, so should be finished with those by visiting time. I have sent you a private message (I think! - not used this before…) to check your name … 🙂
Hoping you are home ASAP - hugs - x x x
geeG

Hi Nicnac - I think folk are generally reporting that visual problems are settling as they get further away from their chemo finish, and this has basically been my own experience … tho my reading vision is slightly compromised still (now 8 weeks after last chemo) - but as I am 58, last reading vision prescription had changed (at least a year ago!) and this has been a further 6 months, these changes may just be 'normal'...
Hey ho… here to get older!
Hope your vision settles too- but do say to your Oncology team and get more specific advice for you.
Hugs x
Murphy1963

Lainie, so sorry for you that you've ended up in hospital again. You were determined you were going to win that award, weren't you!! Hope you get released soon xx

Jingo you will be worried about your MRI, it's only natural. We are all super sensitive with aches and pains at the moment. Hopefully in time we will be able to relax a bit.

Sorry to hear about sore legs, feet, arms, hands and flushes. It's quite hard to take in that before we were diagnosed we felt perfectly healthy, and now, after treatment, we have so many aches and pains. My aches haven't come from chemo, but I am have really sore hands, feet, knees and top of arms due to letrozole. I feel like a 90 year old, its getting me down. I've been on it for 2 months now, I hope it gets better.

It's great to hear the podium is filling up. Yay, well done us xxx
Madam

Feel exactly the same Nicnac, amazing how after just the first week of NOT having chemo after six cycles, people seem to think you are just dandy! I said I wasn't,t up to a dinner out with a group and people seemed shocked as if I was a spoil sport! I have increasing and not decreasing hot flushes, tingling hands and aches! Chuck in a hit of nausea and I am not feeling dandy! I may be the last in this treatment journey, mastectomy is April 21 and radio probable afterwards which takes me maybe into June? Sorry to hear about hospitalisation and issues for some of you so best of luck and hope you recover quickly. Ladies, does poor vision get better post our poisoning ? X
nicnac15

Lainie so sorry to hear your in hospital again i do hope they sort you out quickly and let you home.
Well done to the ladies who have finished rads or have a few left i cant wait to get started on mine in a way its been 4 weeks since my last chemo now, starting to feel a little down with the pains in my legs and left arm /hand its keeping me awake at night and my bursts of feeling hot at night are annoying me too.
I feel like ive got a right moany head on me at the minute with my aching body and people think just cause i have no more chemo im ok !
Sorry thats my little rant over. I hope you all have a good rest of the week and peta loving the new hair pic on facebook ive been reading about this shampoo called fast from boots wondering whether to give it a go xxx
jingo_x

Lainie sorry to hear you are back in hospital again, I hope it's a short visit!

In 3 days time I will be joining the end of active treatment podium, still looking forward to it but this lymphodema thing is getting me down as my sleeve is so uncomfortable and my hand hurts (it didnt before they gave me a sleeve grrr)

had a shock yesterday as I received an appointment in the post for another MRI on my pelvis, although I knew it was coming it caught me by surprise.  So that is happening next Monday and then I have an anxious few weeks wait to see what the experts think is going on in my bone.  Already very anxious about it an then today I have had excrutiating pain in the side of my pelvis, so imagine what my head is doing.  The pain came from nowhere so I am trying not to go into a tailspin about it and hope it goes away tomorrow!

hope the second half of the week is good for everyone xxx

Debtex

If we have to convene the breakout posse I will have to be excused the docs as my feet too sore . It's uggs or uggs at the moment I'm afraid 👞
LainieG

I'm in the Beatson geeG. Yippee! It's so much better than the other hospitals. I think its because i feel more relaxed among staff who know all about me and my treatment. Even the food is better lol. It would be lovely to see you but I'll let you know whether they're keeping me or kicking me out tomorrow. Don't want you to have a wasted journey xxx
So glad you're all ready with your DMs ladies. GeeG wear a slipper so that you don't have to hop. It might be a bit tiring to do that lol xxxx
bettypoppit

Hi LainieG, that's pants you are back in hospital...as others have pointed out, you didn't actually need to consolidate your position for the title tho 😉  lol. Your care team absolutely need to be looking after you and finding out what's causing your back and chest pains. Hope you will soon be on your way home....if not, I've also got my tutu and dm's out the wardrobe ready 🙂 xxx

Linzz, horray .... we are shuffling along the finished-active-treatment- podium for you 😀. I hope you have a wonderful celebratory lunch out with your friend.  p.s. I think histrionics are still in order when we are let down.. I'm certainly still very 'fragile' and apt to blow a gasget! lol. Xxx

Debtex, sorry to hear you are still troubled by sore and painful extremities. Are you on any meds or creams to help?

Debtex

Lainie hope u escape soon , and have a decent ward / bed . Linzz well done to you . I am still lagging behind ..... Had my radio planning today and start nxt wk . Still really troubled with sore hands and feet , my onc said it can take 3-6 months to resolve . Lovely !!! X
geeG

Aw Lainie… where are you? If you are in the Beatson I could maybe call in by tomorrow after my Onc appt and Rads session… but can only find one DM … so I may have to hop… x x x
LainieG

The pain gets worse when I breathe in and has spread round to my chest. It's like a tight band around me. I have a cough so I thought it was a chest infection but they're saying they can't find an infection although they put me on antibiotics anyway. They also checked for more blood clots but there's only the old clots still in the same place. I'm hoping it's just a respiratory virus. That's what my GP suggested. Can't wait to get out xxxx
Peta

Right putting the DMs and Tutu on right now, it sounds like you need entertaining if not rescue! 

How are you feeling Lainie?  Do you feel poorly?  I had backache all the time through chemo, don't they just think it might be that? I hope it is just another one of the aches and pains we've all had to live through lately, and it will just pass and they'll let you home.   That'd be nice, we've all had enough now and you've had more than your share.   Robot Mad

LainieG

Linzz great news that you're finished. Lots of celebrations definitely in order xxxx
Well I'm not getting out today after all. They don't know what's causing the back pain and might be doing some more investigation. Can't believe I'm in again. You might have told me I'd already secured the award Linzz and I could've avoided this one lol. Anyway posse hope you haven't packed away your DMs and tutus. I might need you xxxxx
Peta

Thanks Murphy. GeeG and Zelda for the info about rads.  🙂 

I've finished my first week of rads now, so only a month to go.  5/25  *twiddles thumbs!*

GeeG I'm sorry to hear your husband isn't well. I hope the chest X ray provides more info and it's something simple and easy to treat.   

Laine, I don't believe it, you're back in again. what a complete pain.  I guess its good that they're checking you out really thoroughly just to make sure, it does sound like you are being well cared for.  I hope you get home real soon.  

Linzz, yey you're done!  Enjoy your celebratory lunch, you have certainly earned it. Smiley Happy

Linzz

Please make room on the finished-active-treatment podium - my last zapping was yesterday YAY! Skin is only mildly 'tanned' and not sore, and fatigue is not too bad. They do say it can all get a bit worse for a couple of weeks, but hopefully not. We went out for a lovely lunch to celebrate. I'm having another celebratory lunch with my friend tomorrow - she is a 20+ year bc survivor herself and has been a great support to me.

This morning I got my first zoladex implant. The GP had prescribed me numbing cream but not the dressings that you need to put on after application for it to be effective and then when I turned up not pre-numbed the nurse couldn't find the alternative, numbing spray. You'd think after everything I'd be better at keeping the hysterics at bay by now, but nope. Anyway, just before the tears started the spray was found and it worked a treat.

So I have no more appointments for a month now. Wow.

Lainie - I can't believe you're back in hosp. You had already secured the "most hospital admissions" award, you didn't need to consolidate your position! Fingers crossed they let you out very quickly after your scan Robot Happy

Thank goodness for all of you on this forum, I don't know how I would have managed without you all. Hugs to everyone who has continuing aches and pains and worries and problems Heart

LainieG

Back in hospital ladies with a mild chest infection. Bloods ok tho so having a ct scan today to check on blood clots then hopefully home with antibiotics. Xxxxx
GeeG sorry to hear you're feeling down. Your hubby being ill won't be helping. Hope he's ok. Xxxxx
bettypoppit

geeG fabulous that you are nearly finished with the rads, but truly sorry to hear that your hubster is not well and you are not getting the deserved let up just yet. I think we have all had a touch of the doldrums recently and I suspect that a lot of that is, as you say, a result of being over tired...hoping you feel brighter tomorrow. xx

geeG

Hi Ladies - I have just 3 more rads sessions to go - so today was 12/15. Tiredness creeping in now (tho I was quite late to bed last night…) - it certainly seems to be an accumulative effect. Skin a wee bit tender; skin folds itchy (antihistamines and Piriton control it pretty well - I'm just not taking the tabs often enough…); and fell into the doldrums after my treatment today … hope it was just being tired that did that … have been so upbeat I was hoping to sidestep the downers… ha! Some hope, eh! Knees getting quite sore at times too - guess that'll be the Letrozole - I was hoping to avoid that too - knees have been great for the last 6-7 years - so I guess I was hoping for far too much… Ha! See the Onc on Wednesday so have every intention of raising the 'why warfarin, not heparin?' question as everything I have read seems to point towards heparin being the better option…
Wanting to get to bed now - but dog needing her late walk - OH did her main walk today - and he is well under par with persistent and increasing stomach/chest pain - GP reckons he needs a CT scan - but OH has to wait for the GP to get CXR result back first before he can refer him on to someone who can then refer him for CT… feels like this roller-coaster has no plans to let us go…
Sounds very wild and windy outside … better go now else I shall never get to bed…
Hugs and very best wishes to You x x x
Murphy1963

Oh lainie, hope you are ok and don't end up back in hospital. Everything crossed for you. I was suppose to be going to spandau ballet with my friend who died in December. She was tony hadley's number one fan. I love 'True', it was one of the first songs played at my wedding.

Bettypoppit, good for you having a lovely end of treatment day/night out. You so deserved it. Hopefully your skin will hold out. Mine got really sore and very itchy but I just went around bra less in the house and covered my boob with aquarous cream.

PETA, my tiredness started after rads had finished. I think it has a lot to do with the daily travelling.

Zelda, so glad you've finished your treatment xx
Zelda

Hi PETA For me tiredness came towards the end of rads , but the following week I didn't feel any more tired than usual but maybe that's because I'm getting used to being tired and I'm so pleased to have finished chemo it somehow seems easier to carry on xx
Peta

How bad was the fatigue during rads for others?   I've now completed week one of five, and don't feel too bad (nothing like chemo anyway) but I wondered if the fatigue was going to get worse as the weeks progress?

Lainie I hope your chest is fine and they don't drag you in again.  I'm hoping they just send you home, so do let us know how you get on, I've got my fingers crossed that it's just a prescription and home again for rest for you. 

bettypoppit

Hi LainieG, has your GP managed to help with your chest? I really hope so, as you certainly don't need another stay in hospital. As you are two weeks out, hoping your white blood cells will be high enough to avoid this. xx

Spandau Ballet.....get you, 80's rocking chick 😉 lolol xx

Zelda, fabulous you have finished rads now, the fatigue will get better and I'm hoping that it will be sooner rather than later for you.   I shall miss bumping into you at hospital - you take great care xxxxx

LainieG

Congratulations Zelda on getting to the end of the rads. Xxxx
Bettypoppit I was out last night too. I went to see Spandau Ballet then we had a meal at the Ashoka. It felt so good to be doing normal stuff. Xxx
I'm sitting in my car outside my GP surgery as I'm a bit early for my appointment. Think I might have a chest infection. I've had a pain in my back when I breathe in and tightness in my chest. I admit I've been ignoring it and telling myself it's muscle pain but started coughing yesterday so thought I'd better get it checked. Didn't want to phone the helpline. Feels too much like going backward. I know I'm probably being an idiot but the thought of another hospital stay might just bring on the tears. Wish me luck lol xxxx
bettypoppit

Morning Posse 😀 pyrodoxine I think is B6? I had a bit of tingling feet through the last 2 cycles of D, but the whole foot numbness, tingling and the numbness/tender fingertips came on big stylie over the weeks after last dose.  

My post radiotherapy skin is just about holding up, but sore. Onc recommended to go without bra and wear a loose top to get air to the skin. This does help, but, sooooo uncomfortable for a big girl like myself, so i only manage a couple of hours at a time. Skin should start to improve in 7-10 days 😃

I had a full on trip out yesterday with OH,  woooo hooo, to The Lowry to see Al Murray (The pub landlord). Fantastically funny show and we enjoyed a scoff at Wagamama's after a good wander around the quay, beforehand ...excellent way for us to mark the end of endless trips to hospital and to set the scene for us getting on with stuff......life, I suppose! I'm utterly pooped out this morning mind. lolol

I hope those still on the treatment treadmill are doing OK..it will come to an end.....I'm still here and thinking of you. xxx

nicnac15

Hi all after reading your posts re numbness mine sounds like alot of yours fore finger and thumb mainly a little in toes. I still have pain in my calfs in my legs also bit onc said coild have that for 6 weeks or so.
Great to hear Zelda you finished rads i go back on 16th march hopefully to start my 15 sessions. I know what you mean about wanting to look normal i so want my hair back even though OH says its growing fast i now have a covering all over my eyelashes and brows arnt doing anything at mo. X
Zelda

Hi Everyone. Rads finished now feel exhausted, skin has managed to hold out so far but I was told to keep on moisturising the skin even when finished. Herceptin every 3 weeks although no Tamoxifen as I wasn't hormone pos.Its a strange feeling not having hospital appointments lined up its been like a second home for so long. Now I'm thinking I wish I could look normal and my hair would grow faster, but it's a small price to pay.
Not sure what stage everyone is at but I wish you all well xx
Peta

Pyridoxine is vitamin D6 I think. Thanks for the info, I'll ask my GP.

http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/pyridoxine-tablets

Peta

Just the very tips - around the tip and pad - of my fingers and toes are a bit numb. I had it while I had T, but it's not getting better as of yet. Perhaps worse, perhaps I'm just noticing it a bit more now as my aches and pains have receded!

I'm not seeing an Onc until end of radiotherapy, apparently I get Tamoxifen then, so I will email my doctor and ask her about this drug you ladies have been given, perhaps it would help me too. Someone said they were prescribed vitamin E for it too?

I think mine sounds milder than some of you. My fingers and toes are just a little numb at the end.

Oh and eyelashes and eyebrows, mine thinned but didn't all fall out. My right eyebrow has just done a number though. I just have half a brow on one side now - I look a bit like Spock. 😉
AMDriver

Hi lainieg

mine started a week after the end of my last chemo cycle - i.e. 4 weeks after the last chemo date. they have got better but still have numb/tingling in my thumbs, forefingers and big toes....seeing the onc on Weds hopefully..... so looking for a solution then

xx

Debtex

Mine started 2 wks after last chemo but I was weekly so who knows .
LainieG

Ladies when did your hands and feet start to bother you? Was it soon after your last treatment? I'm thinking I've dodged that one but only 2 weeks post chemo so not sure whether it could still hit me. Hope the meds you got from the docs help. It sounds horrible xxxxxxx