1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting chemo October 14

Peta

Re: Starting chemo October 14

Bettypoppit- the cream we used on Mollie's burnt hand was really very fast acting. Within a couple of days we could see healthy pink skin building up around the burnt patch, and it was a very deep nasty burn, boiling butter and sugar for flapjacks, ouch ouch ouch. As you say, could only be used for 7 days in a row, but it really was amazingly good stuff. 😊
nicnac15

hi  ladies well i had my first zapping of radio this afternoon - all went well and process took about 20 mins after they could get me lined up properly, but came out feel well miffed off to say the least originally i was having the 15 sessions and today a radiographer informs me and says to me "you know your having an extra 5 booster sessions at the end" ! erm No i didnt ! they cant tell me why until i see my onc consultant and said you will see her in 3 weeks - i dont think so ive demanded this week, no ones give me a prescription for tamoxifen

yet and ive had to ask for that also. the whole process of after chemo care has been rubbish.

sorry to moan i know its only another 5 but i had in my head my finishing date and its now going to wreck another half term with my little ones grrrrrr.

Linzz

Posting on my mobi for the first time, hopefully this comes up in the right place!

Peta - as you know I had my clavicle nuked too. After week 2 my swallowing started to feel problematic but it passed after a few days and has been fine since. Fingers crossed yours improves similarly.

I'm a week on from rads ending and I can see the edges if the area now but fingers crossed not sore and hoping to stay that way.

as for eyebrows, I have 4 on one side and 7 on the other. I'm going to tweeze them out I think before they drop out and start afresh. And don't talk to me about lashes
bettypoppit

p.s. - 3 maybe 4 eyebrow hairs left and a couple of eyelashes....lots of 'grit' getting to my eyes..... grrrrrrr. Head hair seemingly growing a treat. Weird isn't it!
bettypoppit

Hi PETA, encouraging to hear your thumbs up for the flamazine.... first creaming done as soon as I got home....ouch!! :/). The cream is only viable for 7 days so I'm hoping that means it is fast acting. 5 weeks is a herculean run of rads Peta, which must be daunting and I think we can all understand that you are feeling - quite understandably blue about it.  The end will be coming into view pretty soon - nearly halfway through already 😃 and we're getting ready for you to join us on the podium 🐧🐧🐧:) xx

Jingo_x, glad your appointments went well this morning and I shall be keeping my fingers and toes tightly crossed that it's good news. Xx

LainieG, hope you are doing OK tonight and are comfortable. 

It is a relief to hear I'm not the only one struggling with a lack of energy still. My onc said it could take a good 6+ months, which I truly hope not as it is doing my head in already. I had just started to get going again too! 😕

"One sodding day at a time" 💖

MysteryMouse

Jingo fingers crossed you get good results.  

BettyBoppit I think I finished my rads the same day as you and my skin is also very very sore now too.  It looks like I have been burnt with an iron and goes all up to my neck.  Thought my skin was going to be fine but then started t get sore 2 days after last session.  Oh well grin and bear it I suppose.

Talking of eybrows mine are now virtually all gone apart from maybe 3 hairs on each brow.  Luckily I went to the Feel Good Look Better session a few weeks ago (brilliant) 🙂 and they showed me how to draw on but I have to laugh at night when I take off the make-up as my face just seems to disapear! 😞  Hair on head is continuing to grow tho and am now rocking the Sigourney Weaver in Aliens look! Ha.  You'd think all the hair (eybrows and head hir would grow the same).  No eyelashes yet though! 😞

Spring is here at last which makes me feel optimistic! 🙂

MM

xx

jingo_x

thank you all for thinking of me today - MRI done, second attempt at lymphodema appointment done with more informative therapist, and a session with the integrative medecine doctor done - busy day for someone who has finished treatment!

Lainie very glad to hear your bloods are clear, but obvioulsy a shame that they are getting you to clock up a few more days in hospital.  Bettypoppit I also have very sore skin now I am post rads (and a bit of a bumpy rash too).  The rads nurse gave me some foam to put under my bra to stop it rubbing and I think it helped a bit, but really the best solution is to leave the bra off I guess.  I am using tons of aloe vera and aqueous cream and so far the skin is holding up.  Peta your long stint of radiotherapy must feel very daunting even now and the days will drag for a bit longer I'm sure but once you get past the half way mark it will start to feel doable.

The fatigue gets me down too, and the pains in my hips and knees and my bl**dy useless right arm.  I am supposed to be out on two evenings this week and I am worrying about it already. 

Also very sad to wave goodbye to my eyebrows and I am now down to one eyelash on my bottom lids...one!  I am tempted to pull it out.

Peta

Oh and AMdriver,

My eyebrows are the same. I think the dark haze is stubble where it's growing back and it's that that's pushing the last few hairs out. Mine are itchy too!
Peta

Hi Bettypoppit

My daughter had to use Flamozine when she burnt her hand badly and it worked really, really well, it's great stuff, so I hope it does the same for you. I hope the fresh air works too - I hope that you're remembering to shut the curtains Lol! 😃

Unfortunately I'm still a long way off the podium. It's making me a bit blue to be honest. I have 6 nodes effected - left side - so they're doing my left boob and all the way across my clavicle / collarbone and half way up my neck, which is making swallowing difficult. I've done two weeks of rads today, but I'm doing five weeks in total so still have another 3 whole weeks to go. 😞 I finish after Easter if all goes to plan. That still seems a long way off - especially as I first started this journey back in June 2014.

I still have the fatigue issues too. I was really hoping to go to a colleagues leaving do in London tomorrow, but it's in the evening and I have radiotherapy in London at 1100am, and there's just no way I'll be able to have the energy to either journey in twice or go in once and hang around all day until the evening. I'm rather fed up because I worked closely with the guy for fifteen years and we sort of changed the world together 😗, so I'm gutted to not be able to go.

It's good to hear that you're doing well Lainie and are keeping in good spirits, I hope you get out soon and can recover at home.
bettypoppit

Oh yes, hoping you are doing OK madam and getting over your cold. xx
bettypoppit

LainieG I just cannot believe the lengths you are going to, for your award 😉 and although I expect you are (understandably) fed up with being trapped in hospital again, it's good to hear that they are looking after and out for you so well. We'll have to keep shuffling around till you rejoin us 😉 xx

Well I just about picked up over the weekend, in no small measure due to the wonderful support from the posse. Thanks girls 😁 xx

My skin is red raw sore under my radio'd breast and the rads dept have recommended both 'flamozine' (cream/gel/oint?) to aid healing which I'm getting via GP this afternoon, and, to expose my chest to either a fan or hairdryer to get air to it to dry the skin out. Well that's what I'm up to now.... I suggest you don't hold that thought too long! lolol. Anyway, i thought it might be worth sharing the prescription info for those posse that still have rads to go. 

Can I ask if energy levels are returning yet? Mine aren't and that's really adding to my being a bit miserable.  If I walk out with lurcher girl for more than half hour, my legs stiffen up and I then do the 90 year old sofa thing that others have mentioned (which in fact is my starting point each morning). My head is full of stuff I want to do, but my body just isn't willing :(. 

nicnac15

Good afternoon all
Jingo wishing you good luck with your scan today and lainieg pleased to hear your blood test come back clear.
Madam i had a cold last week rang up my chemo line they wanted me in to check bloods which were fine and told me to take paracetamol or could have lemsips like before hope your feeling better soon.
Well todays the day i have my 1st rads a little anxious as theyve warned me they have to be extra careful as its my left side there zapping.
Will probably be on here later for a catch up xx
enzobenzo

Ladies. Can anyone help me - has anyone that has had Paxataxol had spots on their head and they itch? The GP I saw this morning was not too worried about it and gave me some steroid hair shampoo but I wondered if anyone else has had this? Thank you xx
LainieG

Jingo good luck today. Hope all goes well xxx
Well last blood test was clear yippee! But I have to stay in hospital til Thursday. IV treatment is going on til Wednesday then just tablets which is brill because it means daily visits to hospital are off. I'm having a heart scan on Thursday so they want to keep me til they know that's ok. Hopefully no more hospital stays now. Should've done enough to get that award Bettypoppit lol xxxx
Peta hope you're finishing rads soon. Is anyone e else still having treatment? If so can't wait til you join the rest of the penguins on that finished podium. If you don't know what that means check Bettypoppits posts lol xxxxx
Love to everyone 💖💖💖
AMDriver

Hi Jingo_x, I hope the scan goes well today, I am sure it will. I guess the results will take a while?

Bettypoppit, I am sorry I wasn't around to support you when you were feeling down Smiley Frustrated - I was out of internet access for three days, otherwise I would have been.

On Friday my eyebrows started burning again - like they did with the FEC and sure enough, the few hairs I had left fell out on Saturday. Instead I have dark marks like bruises where my eyebrows should be - my son thought that I had put make up on to substitute! But I noticed that my leg hair is growing back - how does that work? fingers and toes still hurt thinking of going to my GP as the oncologist won't give me anything.  He says I should increase my exercise but it hurts!!

Peta, are you finishing your rads this week? It will be great to get another person on the branch.......

xx

June_BCC

Dear All

Just sending you all a gentle reminder about our daily Live Chat service - Talk Together. This is a private chat room where you can talk to others who are also facing breast cancer in confidence.

Talk Together takes place every weekday from 12.30 – 1.30pm and will not be moderated or accompanied by a nurse. If you would like to register or find out more information then please visit

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/talk-together

We hope that you enjoy using the service and that you find it helpful!  Thank you.

June

Peta

Jingo I'm off to rads in a minute, but came on specially to wish you well today. I hope the scans go really well. I'll be thinking of you today, let us know how you get on. Xx
jingo_x

Thanks bettypoppit...I figure I won't get an answer quickly and we are hoping to go away on the 28th so part of me doesn't want to know the answer before we go!  Hope you've had a good weekend x

bettypoppit

Jingo_x, will be thinking of you tomorrow and do let us know how you go on. xx

Debtex

Yes murphy I rise from the sofa like a 93 year old but when I'm 'on the flat ' in my 'sensible shoes' ! I'm ok then lol . Gd news is I seem to be less bloated now and my normal clothes feel more comfy . Have not worn leggings all weekend although still in uggs ! My face is also looking more normal . Ready to stagger off to bed now nighty night all . Xxxxxxx
Murphy1963

Sorry bettypoppit, I don't have your dodgy tongue so can't offer any advice, and debtex I can appreciate how you're feeling with your sore feet and hands. Every joint in my body is aching but in particular my feet and hands. I feel like a 90 year old, and look like one getting off the settee!!

Hope all you yummy mummies (to both the 2 and 4 legged variety) had a lovely day today and got a little bit spoilt xxxx
bettypoppit

lol sorry Debtex, but my feet, toes and fingers are numb and tingly too! 

Debtex

Hey Betty poppit , that's one symptom I don't have . Fancy swopsies for a day on one of mine ? A thumb and a big toe for a tongue !? Xx
bettypoppit

Has anyone else got what i can only described as a numb sore tongue? Food tastes like food again, but my mouth still doesn't feel 'right' and I'm left disdisappointed with the meal. ..it's very weird and it's difficult to describe. I expect that the Japanese have a word to describe this sensation.
bettypoppit

Lololol, now you are being just downright greedy LainieG wanting to make 2 awards of it! xx

LainieG

You always make me laugh Bettypoppit. I'm sitting here in my hospital bed with a big grin on my face. People must be wondering if I've finally gone mad. Is that 2 awards I get then or are you just amalgamating them and giving me just one long winded award? I don't mind either way as long as I get a big gold medal lol. Xxxx
bettypoppit

LainieG you are really going to extraordinary lengths to ensure your winning of 'most complicated and rare illness linked to chemo including enforced r&r in hospital time and time again' prize and I would urge you to give up on any more bouts of this.....the prize is yours! 😉 lolol.  Hope you are still doing good and being well looked after this morning.  xxx

P.s The posse penguins are shuffling around still, waiting 😁 lol 

LainieG

Bettypoppit I love your vision of us as penguins huddling together to keep safe and warm. I can see it in my mind and just keep thinking awwwww! Xxxx
Murphy so glad you had such a lovely time celebrating your son's birthday. I had a day out of hospital today to celebrate my son's 21st and I really enjoyed it. We had birthday giant donuts because he doesn't like birthday cake. The guys he works with pelted him with eggs, flour, sauces and food colouring then hosed him down and took him out for a drink lol.
On the subject of the candida, the oncologist said it's rare to find it in the blood. They started me on an antibiotic then next day changed it to an anti fungal then today changed again to a different anti fungal. I think it's so rare that they're struggling to find the right treatment. Hopefully they'll just keep me on the latest one. I've had a ct scan and an eye exam and I'm having a heart scan next. It can travel through the blood and attach itself to organs. That's what makes it so dangerous. So far all clear though so hopefully they've discovered it early enough to prevent anything more serious. I stupidly googled it and frightened the wits out of myself. Xxxxx
Hugs to all of you who are still having treatment and hope you'll be joining us penguins on that safe, warm shelf 💖💖💖
bettypoppit

Murphy, fabulous, wonderful, hurrah. ...it's lovely to hear that you have had a great day celebrating your son's birthday, with friends and family....here's to many more days like this 😊 xx
Murphy1963

Hi madam, on the chemo hotline card, it says to phone 7 (or maybe 😎 weeks after your last chemo. Keep safe, and if you are at all worried I would give them a phone.

I've had a great day today. Was my son's 10th birthday on Wednesday but his party today. We had family for a buffet lunch and then went to mega zone with friends from his school and family. Great time was had by all. I was rubbish, kept getting shot 😞 it's great to do normal family stuff. I was telling my daughters about your latest illness lainie. My daughter's partner is a nurse and none of us had ever heard of candida in your blood. Paula (the nurse) was asking if you were being pumped with antibiotics but said I wouldn't think so as antibiotics normally cause candida (I could be wrong). I hope you are feeling better and glad you managed to escape for a while today.

Betty, so glad you are feeling a bit better today. Riversidedawn, you'll get there, soon all this horribleness will be behind you xxx
bettypoppit

Debtex, you're on the final leg of treatment now and we will soon be making room for you on the finished-treatment-podium.  I'm thinking we are like penguins....shuffling around - hudled tightly together keeping each other warm and safe as new penguins latch on and cuddle up (mmmmm finally lost the plot I think lol). 

Madam, I think in your shoes - if my temp was up at the magic number or i felt particularly rough I would call - even though our bloods should have recovered I would think we are still probably still more open to infections getting a hold. I hope not and your body battles on and you are soon feeling better. xx

Madam

Ladies, I got through chemo with no infection or real colds but now in week 5 since last chemo, I have full- on cold and probably a sinus infection! Am I meant to ring hospital? Does a slight high temp mean anything now I am finished with poison? Do I just cope with paracetamol etc. For a cold as we all did pre chemo? . Thanks for any experience or the same?
Debtex

Bettypoppit and riversidedawn , really sorry you have been feeling sad . I'm sure things feel much worse when we are tired , so I hope you get the chance to rest and regroup mentally . I'm still struggling with the pn in my toes and thumbs and have been popping the supplements . Also my left arm vv slightly bigger than my right ... Eek have never noticed this before . I only had sentinel node removed so hoping it can't be lymphodema . I'm going to an exercise class nxt wk as I start radio and that's for preventing ld so good timing . 3 wks of radio then I'm done xx
bettypoppit

The thought of us in tutu's and dm's really does bring a smile and giggle on 🙂 lol xx
LainieG

Bettypoppit glad to hear you're feeling better. I just saw your post this morning. You're so good at making the rest of us feel better so it was nice to see so many supporting you. Wish I'd seen the post yesterday so that I could've joined them. 💖💖💖
I'm getting home for the day. Just waiting for hubby to come and get me. Turns out I'll only see my son for a while anyway. He's working this morning then going out with his workmates for a celebratory drink. Then later he's going out with his girlfriend for a meal before going out on the town with his pals. He arranged all this before he knew I was getting out of here. I'll see him for a wee while tho and it'll be great to be home for the day anyway. We're all going out for a family meal when I get home (hopefully on Monday) with my mum and dad and the boys and their girlfriends so that'll be nice😊😊😊
I enjoyed my visit from geeG yesterday. We chatted for ages. She really cheers me up. Thanks geeG 💖💖💖
Riversidedawn so sorry you're feeling so down that you cancelled your chemo. You're still going through that awful treatment but it will come to an end and you'll feel better, physically at least. I wish I could say something to make you feel better but maybe imagining geeG in her DMs and tutu for visiting me will help lol! 💖💖💖
bettypoppit

Morning Posse, I really don't know what I'd do without you all and such nice things you have said.  I've had a good sleep, despite the 'real' bettypoppit camel plodding all over us all night (very unlike her to be unsettled). Feeling like the tears have gone, so I'm hoping for better day 😃. Hugs to all you wonderful ladies. Thank you. Xxxxx

LainieG, really hope you are well on the mend and you get special permission to escape today and enjoy your sons 21st. xxx

Riversidedawn, I'm really sorry to hear you are having a really tough time getting on with your treatment. It certainly is a very up and down time and so difficult at times to get the energy and wherewithall to get on with it. It is soooooo draining, but the end is in sight and you will get through it.  Be good to yourself this weekend and hoping you will feel ready for your next step, come Monday. Hugs, xxx

Linzz

Oh Bettypoppot I do hope you are feeling better this morning. I always find that if I am sore or feeling unwell that's when I feel lowest, and I know you've been left sore after rads.  Its hard to think positive when every move reminds us of what's happened to us. You are always on here with comforting words for everyone else - I hope you realise how much this means to all of us, and I hope you know that if it would help for us to get in the Posse chopper and hightail it to you to cheer you up with a tu-tu and DMs/uggs/slippers dance routine we most certainly would do it Heart

Anyone got any expertise in choreography???

Murphy1963

Bettypoppit, I am so sorry to hear you are feeling so down at the moment. Please don't feel alone though. We are all here for you, as you have been for all of us. I can remember when I finished rads, I also felt very down and a bit abandoned to be honest. After all these months of treatment, then there was nothing. I think it's hard re-adjusting your life again. Also it's very frustrating when family and friends expect you to be "back to normal" because you're no longer going through treatment. We all know that is not the case!!! We are all up and down at the moment. Tomorrow is another day, you will feel better, you are entitled to feel like you do. Huge big hugs to you xxx

Lainie, I hope you are getting well looked after. Yes thank god for our NHS, I have no complaints whatsoever with any treatment I have received throughout all this bc malarkey. I hope you get home to celebrate your son's 21st. It's my son's 10th birthday party tomorrow and I know I would be upset at missing it. Big hugs to you xxx

I hope all other posse ladies are as good as can be and have an enjoyable weekend doing whatever you're doing. Hugs to all xxxx
Peta

Hi Bettypoppit

You're the loveliest person, please try not to be sad, you really do deserve to be happy. I was chatting to my husband tonight and sai that I loved your forum name and was really looking forward to meeting you. So while you were being sad, know that someone in a different part of the country was saying that you were particularly lovely! Hug hugs! We're here for you, all the time. Hug! Xxxxx
geeG

Hi - despite only one DM to be found and one slipper, and now too fat to fasten my tutu - I made a second foray to visit our pal LainieG - what a lady! - she was most hospitable and was in good spirits (not the bottled variety - customs search at the door made sure of that! - so it was lucky they forgot you can use grapes for more than just a snack… heh heh!)
Hope you get a good night's sleep Lainie - and a free pass for tomorrow - and get well from this ASAP… x
Madam

Bettypoppit ..we are 'with you' and thee when 'here' is a dark and lonely place, when 'here' is scary and confusing, and even when you can't be bothered to write what's going g on 'here' as there is just too exhausting and demotivating! We are 'here' because we have all been 'there ' and very often stuck here or there! A very big hug, of fellow respect, fellow understanding, fellow crying and fellow support. Your name is no cancer! X
riversidedawn

Sorry you're feeling low bettypoppit and jingo. I've been so bad this week that I cancelled Chemo today as just couldn't bare to go through with it. I was hoping these low periods would go as time goes on. I've still got 5 weeks of chemo then rads to go.I look at you ladies for inspiration and hope things will get better but you seem to be having a tough time. If the October posse can get through it anyone can!
jingo_x

Oh noooo sorry to hear that. I had been crying a lot recently, but today was a good day, so try and remember that we are all very up and down right now and if you feel miserable at times it's ok and totally understandable. We are all here for each other and the only people who can totally understand just how miserable this makes you. You are most definitely not alone.
Big hug bettypoppit x
Lucy_BCC

Bettyppit, I am sorry to read that you are feeling so low tonight, I am sure someone will be along soon with support and do feel free to call our helpliners in the morning to talk things through

(0808 800 6000 open 10-2 Sat and 9-5 weekdays)

Take care
Lucy BCC

bettypoppit

Xxxxx

bettypoppit

Not liking myself very much tonight. Crying and feeling sorry for myself and a little bit alone.  I truly hope my posse friends are doing better. Hugs to youall xxxxx

bettypoppit

Morning posse 😀 LainieG I hope you are as comfortable as possible and that you can escape for your son's birthday celebrations... keeping my fingers & toes crossed. 

I'm a week on from finishing rads and I have a very hot, red and sore boob....the skin has broken down underneath (where my bra is) and is rather painful. I'm slapping on the aqueous cream which does help a little, but any suggestions as to any other creams we are able to use that might heal the open skin? Aloe vera mixed with the aqueous cream, is the only recommendation I can find elsewhere on the bcc forums. 

Good luck to those on their last zaps today...Jingo_x and I think geeG. We are shuffling up getting ready for you to join us xx

jingo_x

Lainie what a pain that you might miss your son's party, sounds like they are going to try and let you escape if they can though so I hope they do, missing these landmark moments is upsetting isnt it.

thanks ladies for checking on me, i am ok, hip still hurts a bit but it is easing.  very sore and tired after rads today but only one more to go!

I was looking forward to a week of no appointments but on monday i now have an 8.30 am appointment back at the lymphodema clinic as my sleeve is too tight, then 9.30 I have my long-awaited appointment with the integrative medicine doc, then 11am MRI of the pelvis.  Not exactly a free day is it!?

Madam I hope the counselling works for you - I spent a few sessions blubbing but think it helped sort my head out a bit in the end.  My 6 yr old is the same and always makes me laugh with his take on cancer.  This week he asked me if it was called radiotherapy because they have the radio on.  Big day at his school tomorrow for comic relief so hoping i make it home with enough energy to join in!

Madam

LainieG, thinking of you! Good luck in there and get outta there as soon as possible ! I wish you could all have just had the light relief I had, with my 9 year old telling me how she thinks babies are made and how men and women " have that yukky blah blah thing..with the c or is it b spot where your belly button is rubbed against his leg" . So bizarre thst it makes me forget all other real and unwelcome C stuff and I nearly wet myself laughing ! Luckily, she thinks I am too old for all that yucky stuff now!! Please do remember me and leave a space on that finishing line for me! Had a session with the loveliest Oncolcogy counsellor at my hospital who said some nice inspiring things as I was weeping and wailing over my identity and my confidence! X
LainieG

Thanks for all your good wishes ladies. I'm feeling fine and just frustrated at being stuck in hospital again. I'm in over the weekend and it's my sons 21st on Saturday. A nurse suggested asking the doc if I can go home for a while that day so I might get a free pass. That would be nice. Xxx
Jingo hope all goes well tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you xxxx