cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting chemo in August 2012

SmileyBabe

Re: Starting chemo in August 2012

Hi Guys
I am a 'newbie' and just wondered if I could join up also. I was diagnosed Mid May and had lumpectomy and sentinel lymph node biopsy, really lucky not in lymph nodes, then had to go back for round 2 of surgery for DCIS. I'm having picc line fitted next tues and should be starting chemo next weds 6 x FEC. Am feeling pretty positive about it all just not looking forward to feeling yucky as I'm sure we all are.
Good luck to everyone
jackster50

Pam I am so sorry to hear that you have to go through the stress of a mamo for another lump. Crikey you must be screaming inside. I will pray that the lump is benign and that you start chemo today. Big hug to you x
my3girls

Hi Girls, just browsing the forum as I can,t sleep, starting the Docetaxel after lunch today, also having a mammo at 9.30 this morning as I now have another lump on my remaining good side and maybe followed by biopsy. If they do a biopsy this morning will this mean that chemo won,t start today? does anyone have experiance of this. wish it was all over with but then does,nt everyone! good luck to all of you having chemo today, wishing you all have 0 - SE,s or if you have to have some then they are managable. Pam

smc78

Sootie i'm glad u havent found it too traumatic although i get your fear of being sick. I feel like that too but i know once its happened i will feel better. I was sick again this morning at 6.30 which suprised me really as last night i had been nauseas for a couple of hours. This morning it kind of came out of the blue. I had nothing left in my stomach after last night so very little came up. I had toast afterwards and have kept it down. I didnt eat after being sick last night so i wonder if thats what bought it on as i've heard that being hungry can make u feel sick. I'm going to try and eat little and often today like they reccomend to keep it at bay. I keep getting hiccups or sneezing a few times every so often, have u had that? Bit annoyed at my picc line. I noticed it has blood in it again, thats the 3rd time its been like this now inbetween flushes. I thought they were meant to be straightforward! I've now got to wait in for the ditrict nurse to come and sort me out. I also want to add that I dont think you are being moody or negative at all. This forum is full of people who are only too happy to hear what you're going through as we've all either been there or are doing it with you. 🙂
Have a good day everyone.
Sian x
sootie961

Morning ladies, hope your all not feeling too bad today.
Well thats the 1st of 6 Chemo's (Fec) under my belt. It all went fine and was nowhere as dramatic as my imagination had convinced me it would be. The Chemo unit was quiet, I got to sit by window and my nurse as lovely.
Oh my word...what a lot of drugs!! I was thinking it was going reasonably quick, till the nurse told me we hadn't even started the chemo..lol! 4 hours it took but that included a messy dressing change, my nurse wasn't too impressed with dressing used in the Xray dept, so everything barr the actual line had to changed.
Was very tired when I came home but feel this was due to no sleep the night before and nervous anticpation of the build up.
I cant say its been plaining sailing so far, and its only 24 hrs! I tried lying down in the afternoon but just couldn't relax for fear of being sick. I feel I am full of liquid in my oesophagus and need to 'burp' but cant and when I lie down this feels if its coming up and I painc...I'm such a wimp when it comes to being physically sick! Thankfully I have not been sick but oh this feeling isso horrible. I've been advised to drink plenty today but I'm struggling with that! My hips ache something rotten too. No sleep whatsoever last night again so exhausted at the mo.
I guess its all trial and error as to what works and no doubt will settle to a routine of sorts at somepoint...I hope!
Its just all too new and scary at the mo. Sorry to be a bit moany and negitive.
I hope you all have a good day...well as best you can. Relax and take care of yourselves ladies
Catch you later....xxx

Luvvie66

Hi Ladies - trying again as it only posted my first line...

Sika, I'm glad they got you sorted and you can post to the site now.I'm so sorry to hear you're inhospital though, I hope the pain goes and you're home soon xxx.
Jax, I hope the anti sickness tablets worked.... That's the bit I'm dreading is being sick. I'm really hoping you're feeling better ths morning and are able to function pretty much normally xx.
Sian, you were sick too...Again:-( at least you felt better afterwards and aren't feeling too bad now.
I got my Oncotest dx trial results yesterday- the oncologist phoned my at 8.30am. The score was 18. This is a low score so good, but it is absolutely on the borderline with regards to a chemo decision! My oncologist is still recommending chemo for me with ths in mind.So I have my bloods etc done tomorrow and first session a week today. I can see things moving forward now I have a date so am feeling happier, but petrified all at the same time.
Must dash, I've headscarves to buy.
S xxx
Luvvie66

Hi Ladies - trying again as it only posted my first line...

Sika, I'm glad they got you sorted and you can post to the site now
jaxmackenzie

Sorry Gadget-Girl..............half asleep earlier.............I did mean Docetaxel for the last 3 or 4 FEC-T treatments............they were not sure if I'm having 6 or 8 in total?

Jax

ps. Sika...sorry to hear you're in hospital, get better soon x
smc78

Jax i'm having fec-t too although only 3 of each. I had my 2nd fec yesterday and was sick once last night just like my 1st time. When i left the ward i felt a little woozy and tired but ok. The nausea started about 8pm ish and slowly got worse untill i was sick. Once i'd done it though i did feel much better. After i'd been in bed for an hour i got up to go in the front room for something and felt very woozy indeed and unsteady on my feel like i was quite drunk. Apart from that and not being able to sleep i'm feeling ok.

Sika glad to have you back and sorry to hear you are in hopital. Poor you, it sounds very painfull. Hope you feel better soon.

Hello to everyone else, hope u are well also.
Sian x
Gadget__gal

@jaxmackenzie surely you mean 3 FEC and 3 docetaxil?

But yeah, side effects can be delayed, I used to be sick at night rather than in the day, or even 3 days later on tax. On FEC, my energy was fine the next day, theN i'd be in bed for two days minimum after that.

Sika

thanks jo! i can finally post!

just a quick update for now : day 12 of 1st fec and i am in hospital with what seems to be an abscess in my gum. soooo painful ! I've been told I will lrobably be here a few days.

more soon! best of luck to you all!!
jaxmackenzie

Hi Ladies.............well I've just had my first side effect from my first of 6 FEC, given around 3pm .........I have just thrown up the dinner I ate around 6pm, so it has taken 8hours Throwing up was the thing I was dreading most as I remember how much of it I did during my pregnancy. I was given anti-sickness through my PICC prior to the FEC and I was hoping that would be enough to stop it. Oh well, just taken 2 Domperidone so hopefully they work. Aside from that the chemo itself was fine. I was forutnate enough to be able to choose a local chemo unit that is only 1 year old so it has all brand new equipment, it's quiet, there only 2 were other patients having treatment at the same time and surroundings are more like a hotel rather than a hospital so it makes the experience more pleasant. There was a one problem though, the drug which should be given within 24 hours of chemo , (something to do with white cell count?) had not arrived from the hospital so I , if I am well enough I have to go and have it done tomorrow afternoon. If not well enough, I have to contact them first thing and they will sort something out so I have it in time
ps, SMC78, I am having FEC-T. which is 4 FEC and 4 of Dexamethasone

Take care Ladies x
Jax
Luvvie66

Thanks Jo
Gadget__gal

The lead nurse of my chemo unit said nlathing was off limits and if I wanted a drink, I could have one! She ddwarn me about being a lightweight, though in the end, only only had about two drinks in the whole 5 months of chemo!

Jo_BCC

Hi Luvvie66

I've passsed this on for the technical team to have a look at your account, also noted that you say sika is also having problems.

Thanks for reporting. We'll try to sort it.

Kind regards

Jo, Facilitator

Luvvie66

Aghh every time I type something, it posts it twice AND cuts the message off half way through?!?
This is just me deleting the duplicate post
Luvvie66

Hi Ladies
Thanks for the reassurance about the tablets. Sika sent me a message too, she is having trouble posting on here.... I hope one of the BCC tech team can sort her out soon please!!

My appointment with the oncologist was delayed today until Thursday, so hopefully I'll get my dates then....... I just want to get it with over with, and I've worked out that it doable by Christmas if it starts soon
Good luck to the ladies starting their chemo tomorrow, hope it goes well, I'll be thinking of you...... Xxx
smc78

There's me giving advice and forgetting to follow it myself so i'm now drinking water by the gallon lol. My chemo is at 11.30. Jax and Sootie are u both having fec the same as me? I was sick once on the evening after my 1st dose and was suprised i felt rough so quickly as i expected it maybe the day after or a few days later. My onc said today its pretty standard to feel rotten on the day of your chemo so dont worry if u feel ill tomorrow ladies. Just remember we all know what your going through and are here to help. I will add that i had my chemo about 2ish last time and started feeling rough about 7pm so it doesnt necessarily start straight away. My other tip would be to eat something very bland afterwards. I had cous cous and some pork cooked in just a little soy sauce last time and still ended up being sick. I didnt dare chance anything dairy untill the following morning as i didnt want to temp fate and churn my stomach. I've had the dressing changed on my arm today and omg what a difference. The district nurse came to my house and did it last week. She put a swab over the bit that enters my arm )as it has to be covered), before she put on a see though dressing but i think the swab was too close or tight and it felt like the tube was being forced back into my arm and was slightly red and painful all week. I've forgotten it was in since it was done this morning though. 🙂 x
jackster50

THE PLAN
Go to a lovely pub restaurant with garden and do lunch on either Saturday or Sunday (determined by weather) and drink a large cold glass of Pino. 7 days post chemo!!

I expect you ladies to join me in this little moment of pure delight at your similar points next week xxxxxxx
TigersGirlie

Hi Vodcasue,

Thank you for replying and giving tips, am sorry to hear you have secondaries, hope your chemo goes well again,
My Hickman Line goes on Friday and my first treatment is next wed, have made the decision on discussion with lots of people to have my pride and joy my goergeous long ginger curls to be chopped of Thursday. Will be an emotional experience but have a nice hairdresser who does late apts for special requirments.

Keep strong everyone and will speak soon

Hugs to all

Victoria xxxx
jaxmackenzie

Hi Sootie961..................I also had my Picc line put in this morning and should be having my first chemo tomorrowgood luck and thanks ladies for the tip to keep drinking.............I would prefer it if it was wine, but needs must I suppose so here's to another pint of blackcurrant and fizzy water.............

x
sootie961

Thanks for the tips there ladies, Chemo is at 9.30 so no doubt I will be up ealry...if I sleep at all and I will take your advice and drink lots fluids ( I dont suppose that should include wine eh Jackster? )
Luvvie....the Buff is terrific. I love it, So easy and simple. I will deffo get another one.
Sian, My arm is a bit sore and achy now so I'm glad it gets easier.
Take care ladies.... ((((hugs))))
Soots...xxx
smc78

Hi Sootie i'm having my 2nd dose of chemo tomorrow morning so we can compare notes and i also have a picc line in as well. I felt a bit sore and achy the day it was put in but trust me it does get easier as time goes on. I barely notice it now so dont worry. Make sure u are drinking lots of water tonight and tomorrow as that will help when having the chemo. Good luck and i hope its not as bad as u think.

Pixie - Good news today. I went for my blood test this morn and everything is fine so its all good to go tomorrow. I asked for some info on my tumour and my onc said 1 of my tumours ( i have 2 in the same breast) is at least 5 and 1/2 cm so i will deffo have a mestectomy but she said at the moment they think i'm HER2- so no need for the port or Herceptin as yet. The report from my CT scan isnt back yet but onc is going to chase it up. She didnt think its anything to worry about though. 🙂
Hope everyone is doing ok.
Sian x
jackster50

good for you Sootie 🙂 Tips for tomorrow. From the minute you get up Drink lots of fluid (coffee, orange juice, coke - whatever) and take your anti-emetic tablets on time when you get home and you'll be fine. Like you say, nothing will be as bad as what your imagination conjures up 🙂 x
sootie961

Thank you girls,
Not long back from the hospital and the Picc line is now in. I didn't like getting it done but it was no where near as bad as my imagination convinced me it would be...if that makes sense!! My imagination always assumes the worst!
Got a bit of a sore arm now and a wee bit drained from the whole thing but a couple of pain killers and a wee lie down should sort that.
First round of Chemo in the morning.
quinny

hi ladies i also have a picc line and i was scared also but it is better and you dont feel nothing after chemo i always feel a little achy but take somit and it goes away u can buy a sleeve from boots that covers ya arm when u bath or shower 5 pound i also use a hot water bottle by it heat helps i be having chemo number 3 on 17th and so glad they dont have to look 4 veins and get blood they do it thro there so esy .yes it is a pain to go every week to get it cleand and flushed but u can get a district nurse to come out to do it .well good luck ladies u will b fine .i have had mimimal se and when i went thought i was gonna b this and that but its not as bad as we all think do able xxx donna

jackster50

Sootie961
Welcome to the August team 🙂 I know exactly how youre feeling as my journey started in April and I still sit and wonder how all this could have happened to me in such a short period of time. Especially as life was going rather great before the 'C' came along.
I guess like many women have said on this forum you just have to take each day as it comes and know that the journey will end and life will continue.
Dont worry about the Picc line I have one and it has been great especially when it comes to receiving chemo and for them taking bloods. I hardly notice it as II have covered it with a sleeve (cut from an old long sleeved t-shirt) and apart from washing and dressing I dont even tend to look at it or touch it.
jackster50

Hi Ya
Luvvie66, the tablets are really tiny, especially the steroids so dont worry. I had the same concern as I usually have to spilt a paracetamol to get it down. Hope you get a date soon because you will feel stronger when you get things started. All the waiting about creates stress and anxiety.
Day 2 after chemo went fine - no problems but then I think I did a stupid thing which impacted me on day 3 and which I wont do again. I have suffered from chronic constipation over the years and it has been bad since my surgery SO I decided on day 2 of chemo to take two laxatives to make me go.
OMG on day 3 I had terrible sweats with a mixture of diarreaha, constipation and vomiting which lasted all day. The district nurse came round and ran to the doctor for me to get Movicol and glyercine pessaries to help clear things. Things eventually calmed down and by night time I was over the worse.
I really believe that this happened because of me trying to force the issue so please take my advice and if worried about constipation get Movicol before chemo and take it regularly rather than going for a quick solution.
Today is day 4 and I have finished the steroids. Feel a bit tired but otherwise I am doing great.
Ladies thank you for your wisdom and insight it really is comforting to have this information and even more so to know that there are women who have gone through this and are doing great. Gives real hope xx
Danialaxx

Hi Ladies, how are you all getting on?
I just wanted to say that my mum started her Chemo on Friday, i am tryign to get her to come along to this website but i think she is scared/worried.
I think it would do her good to chat to others going through what she is. She has HER2+ so its interested reading abotu the portacath.
Anyway, i just thought i would stick my two pennies in and wish you all the best of luck. My mum and all of you ladies will get through it. xxx
sootie961

Hi there ladies....I too am new to this and about to start Chemo (FEC) on Tuesday 7th this week.
You will have to forgive me as I am not au fait with all the jargon and abbrevations yet.
I have been reading this forum since I was told about my BC in June. I've been back and forward several times but reading a lot of information kinda freaked me out a bit, and if I'm honest still does.
I had a mastectomy and lymph node removal on the 5th of July and everything went so well that I was disappointed to find I needed chemo too, however needs must and all that.
Although everything has gone good so far and quick, I sometimes feel a bit shellshocked as in..."What the hell just happened to me in the last 6 weeks?" and I feel my mind is still in the consultants office being told about BC while the rest of me has gone thru the motions!!
Anyway....as I said Chemo starts on Tuesday and although I'm prepared practically, I'm not so sure about mentally.
I go tomorrow to have a Scan to get a picc line put in as I have poor veins. I thought I was okay with this as I have had it all explained to me, but I understood that it would be in for the duration and that as long as all the correct hygiene procedure's were ahered to it would be fine....reading on here it would seem to suggest otherwise? Or am I just reading to much info and getting wrong?
I realise everyone's chemo experience is different but I would appreciate to hear anyone's Picc line experience.
I'm sorry if I sound a bit dim and I hope to share my journey with fellow August ladies and the 'old hands'...
Luvvie66

Hi My3 girls..... Welcome aboard:-)
Jackster50, I'm so pleased your first lot of chemo has gone so smoothly..... Fingers crossed they all will be as trouble free.
Im hoping to get a start date tomorrow, but was warned late last week that some test results were still outstanding.... I am taking part in a research thing and to be honest the results won't affect my decision to have chemo..... And my oncologist is fine with that. So I'm hoping that I can just get started as quickly as possible. I've also had a terrible cough and cold or the last 10 days, so am concerned that this might delay things a bit.......
Thanks to all the ladies that have posted tips and advice.... Ive been watching You Tube clips on scarf tying and feel much more confident. I quite like the simplicity of the Buff headwear, complimented by a pretty scarf, so will order one to practise with:-)
I do have a question, which I'm almost too scared to ask. I have a phobia of taking tablets! I would MUCH rather inject myself than take a big tablet. It's worrying me because I'm concerned I won't be able to take the steroids anti sickness drugs.
Are the tablets big or do they do different forms for weird people like me? Is anyone able to reassure me?
smc78

Wow that sounds great. I love swimming and am really dissapointed i cant go while i'm off work. Would i still be ok to go swimming through chemo treatment even with a portacath, I was under the impression you couldnt because of the risk of infection? I am so gratefull for that information Pixie. It will definately give me something to think about when i speak to my onc tomorrow. Thankyou so much. 🙂

Sian x
pesteringpixie

Hi Sian
A portacath is a titanium portal that sits completely under your skin. You can shower, bathe, go swimming as there are no tubes, lines or anything outside of your body. It has to be flushed every 4 weeks - so it gets done in effect every 3 weeks as that is our treatment cycle. All medication goes through it and bloods taken from it. No needles, they just push a gripper through the skin into the port. this is frozen with a spray beforehand.
If you are HER2+, as i am, our intravenous treatment goes on for about 18 months - the 6 cycles of chemo followed by 18 herceptin. A portacath can stay there indefinitiely. A Picc or a Hickman won't last that long and would have to be replaced several times into different veins. They are a lot more faffing about, keeping them dry, risk of infections, regular flushing etc. You forget you have a portacath as there is nothing to see.

Unless you are HER2+, you are very unlikely to be offered a portacath as it is an expensive procedure and Picc lines and Hickmans are fine for just chemo.

However, even if you are not HER2+ ask for a line. FEC is very very hard on the veins and a line saves you from phlebitis and other nasties associated with cannulas. As Vodkasue says, it is the one thing that definitely makes the treatment easier.

Every time i go to the chemo unit and see people with their hands in hot water, heat pads on their arms, I am overcome with gratitude for my port.

Much love

Pixie xx

vodkasue

Hi Victoria - had a hickman line fitted my first time round 7 years ago. Once done you never look back honest everything is done through it , bloods, antibiotics and chemo. Amazing it is. You are awake but numb when it is done you feel a little tugging but no pain what so ever. You feel a liitle odd sensation at bottom of your throat when they are doing it but again that seconds and no pain. I kept my tubes popped in my bra !! You will be a little sore for a couple of days after but you only in hospital during the day. Best thing honest I have to have chemop again as now I have just been dx with secondaries and its the first thing I am asking for. You will have it flushed weekly and this is painless.
Anyone on this thread starting Tax? Taxotere ? I had FEC before. Also ladies Pixie is totally honest and wrapped it all up perfectly . You will get through it.
Love Sue xx

smc78

Hi i'm from the July thread and am on day 19 or my 1st fec. Can i say that advice is spot on Pixie and luckily for me my old boss who is now in remission gave me all those tips when i 1st diagnosed. There is 1 thing i wanted to ask though. U mentioned getting a portacath if you are HER2+ . Why do u think that and what difference does it make' if any? I have a picc line in and occasionally my arm is a bit sore but on the whole i'm very pleased with it. I think i am HER2+ although i cant remember 100%. I am seeing my consultant tomorrow when i go for a blood test so i plan on asking her again and writing it down this down so i dont forget.
Sian x
pesteringpixie

Hi Ladies

I am hopping in from the April 2012 thread - the easter chemo bunnies - to say sorry you find yourselves here but now that you have, stick to this thread you have started like superglue. I have just completed my final chemo (whayhay) and although it has been a tough journey, having a group of friends, becasue that is what they have become, to share the absolute rawness of our feelings, has helped enormously.

When i started this journey, I never realised how much laughing I would end up doing. There have been more positives come out of this for me than negatives - and i lknow that sounds ridiculous to you now, but if you embrace it for what it is, a lousy but treatable disease, accept you are going to have tough days, but focus on something nice each day, it is all okay. You get through it - I did.

In terms of practical advice I have the following:
1) hair loss. Accept it is going to happen. DO NOT rush out and buy wigs. I did as was paranoid about loosing my hair. Spent over £700 on 3 wigs and find i wear only one of them when I have to go to work ( 4 half days a month). I am so much more comfortable wearing pretty scarves and hats. Wigs are not comfortable.

2) If you are HER2+ ask for a portacath put in. Picc or Hickman lines are fine if it is chemo only but they have to be kept dry, be flushed every week and are prone to infections. Herceptin treatment is a long haul so you should be able to get a portacath. If you do, INSIST it is put in by a surgeon. My first one was done by a radiographer and was a real botch up. 2nd one done by surgeon and is marvellous.

3) Try not to project about chemo... hard i know. But it is so individual for all of us and we all react differently. There is so much that can be done to manage side efects so if you are suffering, always tell your chemo unit, they will do everything they can to make you comfortable.

4) Don't make plans. Chemo is unpredictable and you can react different each time. One day you can feel okay and the next you can hardly get out of bed. But do make plans for whan it is over. Our forum is all meeting up for a Bunnyfeste to celebrate getting through chemo.

5) Only listen to 2 groups: a) the medical specialists and b) women who have done or are doing this journey.

6) this is a biggie...... DO NOT GOOGLE!!!! It has the potential to frighten you half to death. Stick to this site, McMillan and Cancer Research UK, they are all reliable and offer tons of support.

Right thats about it. Stick together, pop into threads that are the months before you and that will give you a good idea of what to expect. Lots of love and luck to you all, it will all be over by Christmas:)

Much love

Pixie xxxx

my3girls

Hi Girls, Hope you don,t mind me joining the August group. After a very long wait I now have a date for starting chemo, had a MX 12 April and AX clearance 17 May finally starting chemo 9 August. Now feeling very nervous about 6 x Docetaxel and Cyclophosphamide (this combination because of heart problem) but relieved that something is now happening, I was worried as I am ER+ and kept thinking that any stray C cells were being fed by hormones so was anxious to get to the hormone therapy stage. A bit bothered about the hot flushes to come as for some strange reason they started for me again after I had my Mx (I am well passed the 'change') but consultant couldnt explain why I had started to get them again. only hope the they don,t get more severe during the chemo. Any tips and encouragement from you experianced ones out there will be welcome. Gentle hugs and good luck to us all, Pam

supertrouper

Hi Ladies - I am from the August 2011 thread - just wanted to you all to know that we are cheering you on. I cant believe how quickly the past year has gone but it has! I lost all my hair and fingernails but they came back. I was off work for 12 months but I went back in April. Life is good.
Just try to remember that no matter how hard it seems at times - it will pass.
Best wishes to you all.
Debbie

jackster50

Hi Ladies

Well here I am 2nd morning post first chemo treatment. I arrived at the chemo unit yersterday with my sister and settled into my arm chair. There were several people there all at various stages of their treatment and they were all very encouraging wihen they found out I was a newbie :). The first thing the nurse did was set up a saline drip via my picc line. After a couple of hours and a nice lunch provided by the unit they gave me the anti sickness meds and the steroids. The latter causes a weird sensation in your bottom but doesnt last long. After a further 40 mins they then came with the chemo coctail which they injected slowly over 40 mins. I didnt feel anything - no discomfort at all. When it was all done the nurses gave me various drugs i.e. more antic sickness, a tablet to stop heartburn and a pack of 10 injections that help with immunity that I have to start today.
When I got home yesterday I felt tired but to be honest not sure if that was the drups or merely the effect of being so wired up in knowing I was having chemo. I went to bed at around 11 after taking tablets (didnt feel nausea but thought I would take tablet any way, given the advice on the blogs).
I slept until 8.30 and I have spent the morning watching telly.
No bad side effects 🙂 And long may that continue. Will keep you updated. Take care all and try not to worry too much about starting your treatment. Will be thinking off you all xxx
smc78

Hi ladies i'm from the July thread and just wanted to let you know that there are some links to videos on youtube on page 2 or 3 of that thread all about different ways to wear headscarves of buffs. I have only had 1 dose of FEC so far and am due number 2 next week. My side effects have been minimal- nausea and sickness the night i had chemo, mild nausea the next morn, a little constipation, strange taste in my mouth on day 3, i felt achy and tired on day 6. had a headache on days 8 and 9 but from there on i've been absolutely fine. I would reccomend you drink a lot of water and take all the medication u are given and u should be ok. If u still have symptoms then call the helpline and they should be able to help you. I think we put up with enough with all the tests needed and drugs we're given so side effects shoul not be tolerated. I forgot to talk about hair loss. I am on day 16 now and my hair has started to shed over the last 2 days. I have very thick hair so its not noticeable yet and it is early days. If i run my hands through my hair i'm generally getting about 10 strands each time and have noticed it falling on to my clothes more often today but i'm not phased by it at the moment. I have a picc line in which hasnt been too bad either. Occasionally my arm aches or is a little painfull but it doesnt last long, I forget its there a lot of the time. Well i wish u all good luck with your 1st treatment and hope your side effects are as minimal as mine have been. x
TigersGirlie

Hi all,

Had my finalise of my treatment today and have to have a Hickman line put in? Have heard mixed information about the procedure, hilariously I'm the worst person in the world to have injections (you would think as an emergency vet nurse) I would cope lol, anyway he also told me I would have daily injections for a week after treatment. Has any one else been told this or had it? Getting stressed now thought I would about the surgery but now finding everything hard especially as at all my appointments people look, at my mum and call her through for them.

Good luck to us all

By Victoriaxxxx
berylS

Morning August ladies
I'm one of the March ladies and just wanted to come on and give you some support going forward with your treatments.
I've just finished my radiation treatments which were 19 in all and prior to that had 4 chemo's, 4 tax with 4 cyclophosphamide. I was really worried about having first chemo, but I came out of there feeling perfectly OK and met a lovely ladie who was sat next to me and chatted to me virtually the whole way through. By the time of my last chemo she had finished and I really missed her but the nurses sat us together each time because they new that we had formed a friendship, which still continues. You do and will meet some lovely, inspirational people going through this and this site is such a support going through this.
Chemo wasn't pleasant but the biggest thing for me was fatique but you get through it. They gave me very good anti-sick and not once did I feel sick. We have a lovely lady called Chockie Muffin (think spelt that right) who used to come on a give us advice and she said "Ask for what you want/ need", and she was right. I will always remember that and you should never put up with awful s/e's. The Chemo Helpline no. they give you is there for you to use, so if in doubt about anything then give them a call. Drink plenty of water before chemo and after it will help in so many ways. By the end of chemo you will be sick of the stuff but it's your best friend really.
I went to Head Start for scarf and hat advice and they were great - volunteers who do a great job. Also the Look Good Feel Better session is wonderful, go and sign up for it as soon as you can.
There is a light at the end of the tunnel and I know at this stage for you it seems a long way off, but you will get there and it's a great feeling when you do.
We've been quite a close group of March ladies and in November we are planning a get together - who would have thought that at the beginning of all of this.
Best wishes to you all.
Beryl XX

jackster50

Luvvie66 - You are one inspirational lady. Thank you for your wisdom. I never thought about it that way but youre right. We will come out of this stronger than we went in 🙂 I think I will begin by stating no more pity fests from me. Time to take the bull by the horn and get tough.

Jacmackenzie, I can remember laughing when I got my breast screening appointment come through 8 days before my 50th bash. I said to my husband 'there ya go, Im now offically a mature lady'. Didnt think for one moment that the mammogram would find something nasty and seriously, only went to the actual clinic as I thought it would be a good opportunity to do lunch in Brighton. Lesson learned I guess.
Ladies, I spent the afternoon at the Brighton Cancer unit taking part in a 'Look Good, Feel Better workshop'. It was great. I met some really fantastic women. Various ages and unfortunately, the women there had been struck down by horrible forms of cancer. Tongue, Throat, Ovarian and breast. I could see the pain and anquish they had and were going through and yet, they were so strong. I felt extremely humbled by their bravery and their will to beat this awful disease.
On a less personal note it was a fun afternoon and we all went away with a bag full of lovely (expensive) makeup and skin care products so make sure you all book to go.
Luvvie66, I got some lovely bandannas from wigs4u. They werent expensive and they look really nice (particulary the leopard pattern one) so go have a look and see what you think.
Bettie

Luvvie66, just popping in from the March Chemo thread, Bohemia Fashions have some great headwear and Annabandanna. I bought loads of scarves and hardly wore them, prefer to go commando as I got so hot with the hot sweats from the chemo. Good luck anyway and you will find loads of advice on this forum. Don't forget to look out for your LGFB (look good feel better day) at your local hospital. They have an afternoon workshop where they give you advice on hair and makeup. I've got mine next week and can't wait. Its supposed to be a really good afternoon
Best Wishes
Bettie x

jaxmackenzie

Jaxster..............snap..............I was 50 in March, had a big party and thought yes, this is my year ...........then 2 months later got diagnosed with cancerHowever I am taking everything one day at a time, I have a 6 year old disabled son so I feel I have to get through this so I can see him grow up..............
It maybe difficult at times but we all have to try and stay positive, go through with our treatment and hopefully come out stronger ladies at the end of it.
Luvvie66 I think you might find what you are looking for from a website called Annabandana. I bought some headwear which have narrow matching scarves,with detachable flower in the same material, which you wrap around the original bandana/hat to create different looks.
Have a good day Ladies and good luck with all your treatments.
Jax
x
mandymid

Hi All, I will be startting chemotherapy at some time this month. Not sure what date yet. I have a strong family history of breast cancer and was having mammograms early (iM 41) which picked up A 1.2 cm tumour in the right breast. I chose to have a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction (silicone) and Im so glad as large area of pre cancer was found in the left breast too. Borderline for chemo apparently but in view of my age and the fact that I have always said throw everything that you can at me Im going for it. I have 3 young children and feel they are my priority. Bit cheesed off today as we have decided to cancel our family holiday as they say the optimum time for chemo is 6 weeks post op. Feel so guilty on my children now though as theyre going to miss out. (the last thing I wanted)
Having the bilateral mastectomy hasnt thrown me really and I have just got on with it but the thought of the chemo is truly vile! Especiall as Im not a "patient" patient and like to be active and on the go constantly and also I hate being sick the point of being scared of it! Wondering if my choice to be treated proactively will disappear once I get going 😞
Wondering at times if it still hasnt truly hit me yet and when it might and also keep thinking will I ever really truly enjoy my life again in the future as much as I always have done.
Good luck to everyone going through this
Mandy
Jo_BCC

Hi Luvvie66

In your earlier post you talk about your concerns regarding loosing your hair and how to tie scarves etc. Could I suggest you give the helpline here a ring and they will be able to talk to about BCC's Headstrong service.

Here's also the link to the area of this website regarding Headstrong

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/talks-courses-local-support/hair-loss-advi...

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Luvvie66

Aww Jackster,
Sounds to me like 'that woman' is still there !
You're just focussing on a bigger battle at the moment.

I'm a bit worried about how 'i'll be' when I get to the other side of all this..... And do you know what??? We'll be SO much stronger, more focussed and more appreciative of what life has to offer.

It would be wrong to think this journey won't change us, but I think it'll be for the better.

You've already prepared yourself for treatment, you were feeling so good about yourself and that's got to be key to get you through this.

Next year will be YOUR year...... and mine!

Let us know how you get on Thursday, I'll be holding your hand in my thoughts xx 
jackster50

Luvvie66 my Picc line is in and I can honestly say that my dread of having it put in was far worse than the reality 🙂 It took about 10 minutes and the nurses were really lovely. I also had the chemo information session today which saves me having to travel back in on Wednesday and while I cant say that Im looking forward to chemo on Thursday Im not as frighthen as I was prior to today. Im going out tomorrow to buy tons of mouthwash, Liquerice (to stop the dreaded C) and some sexy bandannas ;).
This has been a strange journey.
A few months back I was preparing for the big 50 in that I had lost weight (18lbs); finally established long hair; bought new clothes and having been made redundant had a few last round interviews to go with a couple of big companies. This was going to be MY year.
Hmmmmmmm, I sit here wondering if that person will ever come back or is she going to be obiterated by cancer or the treatment 4ever?????

sorry for the pity fest
Luvvie66

Hi Ladies
Thanks to you all for your reassurance about the side effects. I feel slightly less nervous, but am sure I'll be a wreck when finally get to my first session

Jackster50, I hope you got on ok having your Picc line inserted yesterday. Are you still scheduled for Thursday for your first session? Good luck, I'll be thinking of you, when your feeling up to it, just let us know how you got on x

A 'silly' question. I'm not going to go with the cold cap. I suffered with migraine for years and I'm worried the process might trigger an attack.
I'm ok about losing my hair. I'm not brave enough to be 'bold and proud' and will probably get a wig, mainly for work days. I suspect I'll opt for headscarves more often than not though. BUT, i'm not really a 'girly girl' and have no idea what sort of scarf to buy or how to tie it. I quite fancy a layered look, I saw someone at the hospital recently sporting what looked like 2 scarfs. I was too shy to ask her how she'd done it, but it looked amazing.
Can anyone help me with what sort if scarf I need ie big/small, shape, material etc etc. I'm a bit clueless

Thanks
Sx