373653posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting chemo in August 2012

my3girls

Re: Starting chemo in August 2012

Hi August girls, just back out of hospital today after a 7 day stay, I had terrible headache from day 1 of first chemo but nothing else till the 8th day, then wham! it hit me, first a day of the runs, that cleared up then I gradually lost my appetite and found it hard to drink anything, not that it hurt I just couldn,t face it, then I started to shiver and my temp shot up to 38.3, so hospital it was. I wouldn,t want to experiance the rest of it ever again. My Neutrophil level was only 0.24 and I was diagnosed as Neutropenic sepsis. I have been on a drip the whole seven days. It wasn,t much fun, especially when they had to put new canulas in or take blood as my viens kept failing. There was a suggestion of delaying my next chemo but it is going ahead afterall but with an extra injection in my side to hopefully prevent it happening again. Can,t wait, I don,t think. Thats set for next Thurs 30th. They couldn,t find the source of the infection and I had been so careful to the point of not seeing my young grandchildren (just in case) and bacterial wipes, bottled or boiled water etc. It has left me very tired and hair is rapidly falling out now. Should have picked up my wig (which I wasn,t keen on) this week so will have to fit that in sometime next week between the bank holiday and other appointments. Hope the rest of you have been and will be ok.
love and gentle hugs to you all xx Pam

Carolann7

Good morning August ladies, I’m just popping in from June thread. You all sound like you are doing really well, its easer when you have people to lean on and learn to, that’s why I love this site. I’m due my fifth chemo third of Sep, it amazing how quick it goes. To Luvve66 the new chemo they have put you on is the same one as I have had from the begin, my se have not been too bad at all not been sick at all, my main one is feeling very giddy like you have had a good drink and you want to lie down and your head to clear. Not all the time just occasionally. Also both these chemo’s will affect your nails so keep them dark colour and lots of nail cream on them. If you would like any more info pm me.
Good luck to you all just think by Christmas you all will be nearly finished, and we all know how quickly that comes around.
Lots huge and to you all , Carolann.
jackster50

Hi All
So glad to hear that SE have been minimal for most of you gals. Its something that is worth sharing as it will help those women who are at an earlier stage feel less scared. Luvvie Im happy to hear that the onc can offer you alternative chemo regime. I know you are going to be as scared (if not more after your experience) when you go for the treatment but stay strong and hopefully it will be alright. Let us know when you go so we can send postiive vibes and big virtual hugs.
I went and seen my sugeon about hole in scar but he seemed not to be too worried and just said that once treatment was over he would aim for a quick reconstruction (YEAH, YEAH, YEAH). However he did say that if the hole gets infected then he would have to remove implant which would result in flat chest. So when I m feeling low I feel like a walking time bomb, scared to take off dressing in case it reveals bigger hole or signs of infection. When Im in a more positive frame of mind I think of the two small pert boobs I will have have next year along with a flat tummy 🙂
I had my 2nd dose of FEC yesterday and I must admit that I was a lot more tired when I got home than I was with the first. I also felt slighty light headed for the first two hours but this soon went. The one SE that I experienced with the first session was extreme fluid retention which in turn resulted in my implant breast swelling and scar leaking. So having talked it over with the onc I am going to try and not take the steriods as these apparently cause fluid retention. Slightly worried that I might get nausea and vomiting but given the risk to breast Im willing to endure if I need to.
Big hugs to all of you and I hope SE stay minimal 🙂 xx
mandyj

Hi Sootie - I too am having quite a decent time considering, so don't feel guilty, enjoy it. I have been keeping a daily diary of how I feel and what things I have been doing each day. On day 13 now and just re read my diary and realised that it makes for positive reading! So, yes it is doable for all those who are about to start. I may have jinxed myself too, hope I won't be back in a couple of weeks saying that dose 2 was horrendous!
Hang on tight ladies.
mandyj.x
Luvvie66

Hi Ladies, well done Soots! You should NOT feel guilty for having minimal side effects.... You should post and let others know that it is possible. It's brilliant news.
I saw my onc today, after my bad sicknessreaction to FEC. His words were "I don't think you can go through another 5 of those". He didn't feel that adjusting the anti emetics would make much difference as hed started me off on the strongest ones given my history of beng sick.
So, he's changing my regime to Docetaxel and Cyclophosphamide combo, called TC. He says its just as effective and is used as the standard treatment in Canada, America, New Zealand etc. It's less likely to make me sick but has other side effects which, for me, he thinks will be easier to control.
So, I'm happy..... It's scary going into the unknown again, but preferable to the first 18 hours I had on FEC!
Onwards and upwards
S
sootie961

Hi ladies...I hope this finds you all as well as can be expected under the circumstances. ((((hugs to all))))
I am on day 15 of the 1st FEC...and...well...what can I say...and I almost hesitate to say it, as some of you are having such rotton time of it but apart from the 1st 48hrs of nausea I have had no major side effects as yet. Thank gawd.
A few days of 'walking thru treacle' tiredness last week when I was at my lowest and a sore mouth the last few days but apart from that I can honestly say I'm doing just fine.
I did hesitate to post...and I havn't posted for a wee while as I felt a bit of fraud 'not having' SE...( I know that's really stupid!!) but I feel that its important for anyone new to this to understand just how differently it effects people. So far I have been one of the lucky ones...especially compared to what some of you guys are going thru.
I still have all my hair and whereas I not naive enough to think this wont happen to me soon I'm pleased its still intact for now.
I consider myself to be truely lucky when I read of you guys SE and I am in awe of the and bravery and strong attiude of each of you.
Wait to see....I've probably jinxed mysef now writing that...lol!
Stay strong ladies...love Soots, xx
SmileyBabe

Well done to everyone for getting through their first chemo and good luck to those who still have it to come.
Starting to feel more human now and thank goodness for fizzy water, straws and toast!
xx
June22

Hello everyone, I'm so glad to be able to join in this conversation at last - thanks moderators for sorting out my glitches!
I had a 2cm invasive breast tumour removed - lumpectomy - in July, and I have just received my chemo dates. My cancer is triple negative and agressive, but luckily my sentinel lymph nodes showed no sign of cancer cells.
I should get 4 sessions of FEC followed by 2 of Docetaxel and Carboplatin chemo, starting on 31st August, so I just fit into this thread of starting Chemo in August
I think I will be having radiotherapy after the Chemo, but that hasn't been confirmed yet.

I'm really not looking forward to the months ahead, but it helps to have the good company of people on this forum.
Wishing you all the best journey through treatment... June22
sammibear

Hi Ladies,
I too am starting 6xFEC chemo in August. I had a SLNB, lymph clearance and mastectomy at the end of July. I really have a phobia about being sick and more so about being sick in public. The thought of being sick with chemo is really upsetting me. Thanks for posting all the tips...I definately will be drinking lots of water on the days before and after chemo.
Love to all x
mandyj

Hi all
Luvvie66, just noticed tonight that if I run my fingers through my hair quite a few more strands come out now. (day 12) Picking up my wig tomorrow. I was going to take my little boy to the barbers next week so I might get him to shave it off if it's all clumpy by then. I have got an issue with going into a hairdressers, women are more likely to stare and the barbers doesn't have a window for passers by to look through. I normally have a mobile hairdresser to do mine when I go and visit my mom but she is on holiday, bad timing or what. I will probably invest in clippers if it keeps lingering and getting stubbly like others have mentioned.
Hope you are feeling well.
mandyj.x
jaxmackenzie

Hi Ladies.....hope you are all enjoying the sunshine
It's 2 weeks since my first Fec and I feel back to normal now. PICC line arm is no longer sore and anti biotics finish today. In fact I am going back to work tomorrow! I told my Boss I would try and come in on the 3rd week of the 3 week cycle if I felt well enough to do so. He has been very good and said I can leave as soon as I don't feel well or get tired. I only work 9.30 to 2pm anyway and it's not too strenuous using a calculator/computer . I'm quite looking forward to it after being off for 9 weeks, just have decide whether to go bald or wear one of my wigs Other body hair has started to go now, my eyelashes have been falling out since Sat(day 11) and today my "lady garden" has started to shed .
Luvvie66 so glad you have made it out of bed...........your experience sounded horrendous , I hope they can find a solution to the vomiting in time for your next FEC.
Jackster ,how did you get on with your implant..............fingers crossed they can save it?
Well, off to sort out what to wear tomorrow.......it will be strange getting ready for work
Have a good evening all
Jax x
Luvvie66

Hi Ladies. Finally emerged from bed yesterday....... Did not enjoy my first FEC experience:-(
I still feel a bit nauseous and tired, but am definately starting to feel human again!
I've not really had any other side effects, other than drinks tasting really odd...... Cannot stomach coffee, and I was a real coffee snob (loved good coffee) only a week ago!!!
Smileybabe, hope you've continued to feel more human too.
Jaxmackenzie, hope they got your picc line sorted with theantibiotics, I'm having mine on 3rd Sept in time for session number 2!
I'm starting to face up to the reality of hair loss after reading your posts.
Jackster, I bet you don't look awful, but I can relate to the changing looks.... I lost a stone and a half since being referred to breast clinic (just couldn't face food) and its made me look really drawn:-( I'll probably put it back on with the chemo. I hope they get your implant sorted, you dont need anything else to worry about. Let us know how your appointment goes today xx.
MandyJ, has your hair loss started now? I was told to expect it 10-15 days after first treatment. I thought I was ok with it, but I'm really not:-( I don't want to go to the hairdressers to get my head shaved, do you know what to use to shave it? I was hoping I could use barbers clippers?
Pam, have you managed to find some pretty scarves?
Sika and SMC, have your hair patches gone yet? I guess you just want it to be one thing or another..... Hair or bald..... I've read of people whose hair grows back during treatment, does this depend on the chemo regime you're on? I was told with FEC that it would definitely fall out and v unlikely to grow backuntil all finished.
Mandymid..... Did you find out any more about the chemo you're starting? I'm interested because my onc is talking about changing me from FEC because i had such bad sickness despite 'best' anti emetics. I'm wondering if this is the one he's thinking of? I'll find out tomorrow!
Anyway, the sun is out where I am, I'm no longer in bed, and I'm determined to relax a bit today as a friend has taken one of my boys out for the day, so I'll be spared the 2 of them arguing!!
Enjoy the sun ladies Xxxx ☀
mandyj

Luvvie66 - hang on in there, the onc should sort you out. Each day tends to get easier and you will start to feel a bit more human again. I cannot stop eating at the moment!
Sika - Yehhhhhh you have escaped! Still waiting for my hair to disappear (day 9 of chemo 1) so will let you know what happens. Was planning on getting mine shaved once it started to vanish. Will have my wig by next week. Is your head really sore? Do you have to moisturise it? I am dreading the hair loss now.
Smileybabe - My mornings were the worst time for nausea too. It has settled now and I always felt better once I had eaten something. I found tea/coffee awful with milk in. Lived on ginger beer and pineapple juice as water was getting so boring! Ginger is a great anti emetic.
Jackster50 - I too had that sore throat, it's awful isn't it? Mine went as quick as it came, thank god. Hope yours did too. Lets hope that with some antibiotics and some good dressings they can save your implant. It's horrible thinking that your chemo may be delayed. We all just want to get this done and dusted.
Love to all of you August ladies.
mandyj.x
jackster50

Couldnt write a message these last couple of days - frustrating until I found out that I had to be logged in to reply (stupid me)
Luvvie sorry to hear that youve been having such a bad time with sickness. I hope they get the meds right or find an alternative treatment for you.
Hair started falling out big time the last couple of days so like many of you I decided to take control and get it shaved. I look bloomin awful 😞 Chemo has really taken it out on my face. I look ashen and soooooo lined. Ive been counting the lines each night and they seem to be multiplying daily.
Its 15 days since my first chemo and the SE have been managble - sore throat on days 8,9 & 10 was slightly scary as I couldnt swallow but with the help of throat spray it eased off.
the latest thing that my body has done is develop a small hole in my mastectomy scar which has been leaking yellow/green fluid on and off for the past week. I have a temproary implant which I was told at the start had a 50% chance of success. I thought I had got away with it but chemo seems to have done some damage 😞
Seening surgeon and oncologist Monday to see whether the implant has to be removed and chemo delayed for weeks or whether I can carry on. I am crossing everything that they go for the latter.
SmileyBabe

Hi guys
Had first chemo at 2.30pm on Weds and it all went fine, felt a bit heady when I got home and started feeling sick about 8.30pm and was so tired, couldn't sleep got up and threw the whole contents of my stomach up around 3am and then it took me about an hour to get to sleep, slept for 3 hrs then awake for rest of day. Not been sick since and taking all tabs etc but feeling really nauseaus all the time but worse in morning, not drinking anywhere near as much as I normally do as it just doesn't taste right and makes me want to puke....sorry all this yukiness! Anything I can do? Have tried ringing chemo unit couple of times but can't get any answer so will just keep trying.
Luvvie you poor Luv you really are suffering aren't you, I hope they can change it for you for next time as that sounds really horrid!
Sika glad your out of hospital, wonder why your hair is all patchy and not bald? Could you get it shaved again?
Forgot to say also picked up wig and had fringe etc cut right for me but no sign of any hair loss yet....
All the best guys xx
Luvvie66

Duplicate post deleted
Luvvie66

Ps, really glad you're out of hospital Sika
Luvvie66

So, how did it go?!
I had my first FEC yesterday afternoon. Treatment finished at 3.30, and by 6.45 I'd started to be sick.
I am a sickly person in as much as I get motion sickness, cannot go on fairground rides etc, so had made my oncologist aware.
He was brilliant and prescribed me Emend IV (which others have told me is the best anti emetic) plus another IV plus Domperindom (spelling?) to take after.
The vomiting got worse and worse and by 10.30 I was being sick every 10 mins. I called the emergency number and a doctor came out to inject me to stop the sickness as I couldn't keep the other drugs down. I got he injection at 00:30 and continued to be sick or another 45 mins.
I slept a bit and woke at 4.30, after a few sips of water was sick another few times, but have managed to ok now fom about 9am..... Phew, that was horrid!
My oncologist called earlier and wants to see me Tuesday to discuss my next treatment. He can either alter the anti sickness drus, although he was very surprised I was ill at all with the drugs he gave me, so isn't sure that will help... Or change me from FEC to something else.
I didn't ask what as I'm still feeling woozy and nauseous and didn't think.
Has anyone experienced similar and if so, what were you offered.... What did you choose?
Sarah
smc78

Sika fantastic news, bet your so glad to be home again. My hair is exactly how u just described too. My hairdresser told me these little bits will eventually fally out and i'll be all shiny yet i've read posts on here where people say their hair started growing back during treatment so i'm not sure either. x
Sika

i got out of hospital yesterday - yay!

now, a question about hair. i had it shaved to a number 2 a few days ago when it began coming out in clumps and basically went everywhere. i was getting patchy, then this morning about 85% of it came out in the shower. i thought i could get it all out but some stubbornly remained. i really hated the patchy sparse pricles on ny head and went to a hairdrsser to get it shaved completely bald. but its not compketely bald, its all stubbly and still patchy. ?? my concern is that the remaining stubble wont fall out, but wont grow. i want a smooth, completely hairless head - will that happen?

(sorry for typos - on phone )
Bettie

Jax- just popping in from March chemo thread - I had chest pain and breathlessness throughout all my chemos and it is just a side effect of FEC. Also hair loss started after my first one and I have gone bald from day one (couldn't be bothered with a scarf or wig) It started to grow back about halfway through my treatments and I now have a very fine covering of hair (last chemo 3 weeks ago)
Best Wishes
Bettie x

mandymid

Hi I had my first chemo this Monday and was wondering if anyone has had the same as me EPI/CMF. doesnt seem to be a common one from from what I see on here?
my3girls

Hi girls, 6 days on from first TAX , not been sick at all, just very bad headaches and a misshape face? anyone else had that? today sore mouth and diarrhea so I have ben lucky so far, the swollen face seems to have mostly gone now and my hair only seems just a little thinner but nothing significant. Ordered a wig but have to wait for it as they didn,t have any as dark as mine, I wanted as near as my own as poss, but found that they don,t do one with white sides just white on top, (I have badger type stripe side pieces and boringly never coloured my hair) but honestly I don,t think I will be comfortable wearing one. I think seeing my sisters wig when she had one has put me off, it was awful, so unsuitable for her and she hated it with a passion! I am looking forward to trying some pretty scarves and looking through my wardrobe for colours to match my now ill-fitting clothes, I will look such a delight!!!!
Sending loads of virtual love and gentle hugs to all you August girls, good luck, Pam

jaxmackenzie

Hi Ladies ..........Sarah hope your first FEC went ok today........look forward to an up date .
It is now a full week since my first FEC and I feel fairly normal except for my arm where my PICC line is. It got sore/swollen over the weekend and when my district nurse came to clean it etc on Monday she did not like the look of it.She rang someone for advice and they suggested taking a swab to check for infection and putting me on yet another course of anti biotics. Less sore and swollen today so the drugs are working.
At the weekend I also experienced chest pains and advised to go to A&E. BY the time I got there the pain was not so severe but hurt when I laughed or took big breath. I had blood tests/ECG then referred for x-ray........spent 2 hours there but eventually told it is just one of those things that can happen with FEC but I did the right thing to get it checked and not to hesitate to get it checked if happens again
I had my session with the wig specialist at the hospital today. She had previously told me that there was not a lot of choice for people of Afro -Caribbean descent and I would probably be better off getting my own from a black hairdressers. On the NHS I would have to pay £63 towards the cost of a wig...........I managed to get 3 nice wigs for nearly the same cost , one of which I wore for my appointment and which the specialist said was much better quality and more realistic than anything she could get, so I was well chuffed.
I have already had my hair cut very short ready for it to fall out and am quite comfortable not wearing a wig at all. In fact, I popped into my office yesterday and all my colleagues liked my new short look. The wig specialist said my hair will probably fall out next week and I've noticed my eyelashes are going already.
Has anyone else from last week noticed any hair loss?
I feel I'm rambling now so I'll stop............take care Ladies

Jax x
Luvvie66

Hi Ladies hope you are all ok.Im in awe of those of you brave enough to go bald. I bought a wig yesterday (looks just like my hair, only much better condition!) and my Mum broke down in the shop:she's he's scared of seeing me with no hair as it sort of confirms how ill i am,whereas at the moment I seem fine!Well, that may all change very soon. I'm having my first FEC today at 12.30. I'm not sure whether i should eat lunch or not. I've not had much appetite since all this started and have lost over a stone in weight, so I'm not tending to get very hungry - not sure whether eating wold make me feel more or less nauseous?I'm a bit apprehensive, but just keen to get it over with. Everyone says the first one isn't too bad so I'm clinging to that thought!Good luck to Victoria and Smileybabe too, lots of virtual handholding today please. Sarah x
smc78

Hey ladies i love my baldness and am embracing it now. I saw a few people looking at me in the shop but it was only a quick glance not stares and i didnt care anyway. I have a bald head for a reason and i'm proud of it coz it shows what a srtong person i am and that i'm getting on with things. All my friends and family have said such positive things about me and actually i'm lucky enough not to have sticky out out ears but i do have beautiful eyes so without sounding up myself i can carry it off quite well. Big up to us baldies!! 🙂
Sian x
Bettie

Sian - bald is beautiful, I went bald from day 1. If I didn't do it then I knew I wouldn't be able to do it at all and hardly anyone notices. I'm not just saying it and I was paranoid about losing my hair until my sister shaved it off (I was almost bald by then anyway) I go bald everywhere now and am going into work tomorrow and I hope I will have the confidence to go bald. It started to grow back by about chemo 4 and now I look like a fluffy chick (had my last one 3 weeks ago) Something else that really boosted my confidence, I went to my last chemo and one lady told me that her hubby had said I looked great bald!
Good luck, I'm sure you look great.
Bettie x

mandyj

Hi Sian
They gave me the tablets and an additional type if the first ones did not work. Didn't need them though. I just followed what the packet said, Ondansetron for 2 days and Dexamethasone for 3. Will stop the dex after tonight and see how I go with nothing at all. If nausea comes back will call the unit and take the additional meds I think. I suppose they expect the nausea to stop after the first few days. I too hate the feeling in my mouth. Have had steroids a few times over the years to treat my multiple sclerosis so knew what to expect. I am necking down pineapple juice, ginger beer and had spicy curried mackerel for tea last night! Glad they didn't come back up. The spicy food is great on your tongue but not so good on the heart burn!
How did your bald experience go? They don't like you shopping there in yur jim jams, are they funny about beautiful bald women too!!!
luv mandyj
Bettie

Hi does anyone need any chemo scarves. I have about 4 and will send to you (don't want anything for them) Please send me a pm(I can send a picture of them ) I have finished my chemo and to be quite honest have never bothered with scarves.
Best wishes to all of you
Sue

smc78

Mandy i was told to take all my drugs as prescribed for 3 days after chemo then i stop them completly and have jabs for a week. Have u been told to take them when u feel like it or is this after the period you are supposed to have them? Just curious as i took mine religiously whether i needed them or not and i feel fine after stopping them. I did feel a bit flat this morning though. 1st day after the jabs and my body is tired and achy again and i felt a bit queesy. I'm constantly eating coz of the steroids and my mouth always feels dry or i have that funny taste which has also altered the taste of some foods and drinks. I'm off to Tesco in a bit to stock up as i'm bored with toast, cereal and water now. Felt a bit unsure about going out bald this morning so have roped Mum in to coming along. I think i was just having a little wobble as i'm fine now. Have a good day.
Sian x
mandyj

Not taken the Ondansetron today, just the Dexamethasone. So far so good! Just feel quite wobbly when I first get up. Anyone else have the morning wobbles? Think the sensitive skin was just the heat after I had a nap yesterday afternoon. Feel normal today, well as normal as you can when you have a toxic body! I can't stop wondering what on earth it is doing in there at the moment. Scary really isn't it?

Hope you are all well on this dull Sunday morning in the Midlands. Sika I feel for you. Not only must you be feeling rough but I bet the boredom is worse!

loads of luv
mandyj
smc78

Hi Sika, sorry to hear your still in there but you are in the best place if you are not well. Any idea on how much longer u will be in? I really feel for u and your daughter she must be so worried about u, and u her. I assume someone is seeing to your cat? I feel so liberated and free since i've shaved my head. I've braved it in public with and without my wig and it was a breeze. I'm glad u feel good about yours, I suppose its one less thing for u to worry about. Well hope to hear some better news soon. Take care .
Sian x
Sika

another quick update ... still in hospital, blood count not really rising. my next chemo is likely to be delayed.
my daughter is staying with her friends, but this is horrible for her. she needs to be at home, with me. and our cat.
shaved my head, feels great.

hugs to you all, with extra big hugs to ((luvvie))
stiz

Hi mandyj,

Did they give you the optional tabs to take, if so just take them when you finish the rest, they switched me to emend which is fantastic but costs £56 for 3 tabs so that's why they give it us to start.

The only se's I'm having are tiredness but can't sleep & a constant headache, not heard of sensitive skin, you might want to give the millbrook a call on monday if it persists. I rang them the 1st time because my tongue was swollen & white & they told me over the phone I had thrush & to go to my docs, they are really good at the millbrook.

Small world eh, hope the decorating is going ok.

Angela x

mandyj

Hi Stiz
Yes its me from Kiddi. Hope you are doing well after cycle 2. A bit tired today but otherwise not too bad. Feel hot and skin a bit sensitive. I am worried about stopping these anti sickness drugs after tomorrow. Do not want to feel how I felt on my first night! What anti sickness ones did they change you onto Angela?
my3girls

Hi Girls, day 2 after 'treats' still no sickness but feel like I have the hangover from Hades! cheek and jaw bones still aching and can,t seem to sleep at all after 3 am and a bit dithery but otherwise fine, so perhaps I am one of the lucky ones or is too soon to tell! Hope everyone is coping well and feeling up.
good luck girls and gentle hugs, Pam

stiz

Hi Mandyj,

I am just popping in from the July thread, I think I was sat next to you in Kiddi on Thursday morning, from what you have said seems too much of a coincidence but if it's not I apologise but if it is I'm glad you haven't been too bad, that new anti sick tabs they gave me were fantastic, I've just carried on as normal, even went the pub last night for tea & had a cider was in bed for nine though, living the dream lol.

Love & healing hugs Angela x

mandyj

SMC78 and Sootie961- forgot to mention, I too have sneezed a bit. Not had hiccups but burping very well! Sick of the taste of water already. On the ginger beer now.
mandyj

Hi All
Popping in here as my last posts were a little while ago. Thanks Luvvie66 for the personal messages previously. I had my first FEC yesterday (3xFEC, 3xTax). My veins seem good so had it through a cannula in my good arm. Was nervous but the actual drugs are not that bad when being put in, just very cold! Had a lovely warm bean bag thing on my arm which took the edge off. My appointment was 9am and I felt tired around 1.30pm but could not sleep, steroids I assume. At 4.30pm thought it was a good idea to go shopping as we are decorating our bedroom - BIG MISTAKE!! By 5pm the nausea had kicked in, my head was pounding and I could barely keep my eyes open. This did not look good as I was driving! Took ginger biscuits and a sick bag with me.
So far only had nausea, not been sck at all. I was warned by the nurse that I may feel rough on the night and she was right. I was knackered but hardly slept. Finally felt human at 3am this morning when I got the munchies and could not wait for my breakfast.
Day 2 has been a pleasant surprise. Taking the tablets as instructed. Having the odd wave of nausea but it has not stopped me from building a chest of drawers and a wardrobe for the bedroom! I just hope that this is not the calm before the storm.
Just for those who don't know me I am 36, had 18mm grade 2 and one positive lymph node. Had WLE/Therapeutic mammoplasty and ANC on 4th July. ER pos, HER2 neg. For 3 weeks Rx after chemo then 5 years of Tamoxifen.
Thanks to those ladies who are ahead of me, your information is greatly received. For those about to start, it is not as bad as you think. I know this is very early days for me but so far so good.
Luv to you all.
mandyj.xx
TigersGirlie

Hi all

Luvvie can understand we all have wobbles esp me today as had my Hickman line fitted and didn't enjoy t he exp which resulted in me bursting in to tears as again finally sinking in which esp as everyone keep saying how shocking it is that I have bc at 30! The ear y need to come on here!

Smc 78- i made similar decision as had my gorgeous curly hair chopped from halfway down my back into pixie cut, also took my wig and hairdresser and she Sorted mine to!a lovely hairdresser we hich made exp bearable, have my first chemo wed but lots of trips for my line flushing at weekend

Good luck to all, wobbles all round today

Vxxxx
smc78

Hi all. Sootie thanks for the tip i'll keep it in mind for whenever it gets a bit sore. Well i did it, i got my head shaved and what a relief! I had a wobble about it this morn and cried on my own and again when mum came round. My sister walked out of the hairdressers in tears too. My wig has been trimmed and looks fabulous so one very happy lady here. I feel like i've crossed another barrier. 🙂 x
my3girls

Hi girls, thanx for all good wishes yesterday, good mammo result, just a blocked duct so chemo went ahead. No problems sailed through it much better than I expected, just bad headache but I put that down to no sleep at all the night before. There was one unexpected surprise, the frozen mittens and slippers! which I had to wear all the time, when they started to thaw out they give me freshly frozen ones, not pleasant but you do get used to them. The only problemis you cant read a or hold a book while wearing the mitts, but OH did feed me hand feed me Kit-Kats cos I was starving. No-one else on the unit had this 'special treat' so I think I must be having a different drug combo. It is to do with neuropathy, but don,t exactly know what that means, didn,t ask just went with it. It was a surprise as I hadn,t seen it mentioned on here and now someone else has just wrote about this morning. I wasn,t offered the cold cap to complete the set lol, but think it might have been too much. No sickness yet but woke at 3 am with another raging headache and cheek and jaw bones aching, so taking paracetmol for that.
Sika , sorry to hear that you are in hospital, hope they can fix you quickly and feel much better soon.
Luvvie, glad you have your start date and it goes well, and your loving boys will be fine especially when you return nagging them just as any normal mum would do! oh to be normal again.
minimul SE,s and gentle hugs to one and all, Pam

sootie961

Good afternoon ladies....
Jax and Sian or any lady with a picc line, a wee tip my nurse gave me was to use a warm hot water bottle/wheat bag, and place over/under the area where the picc line is. This helps expand the vein and helps the blood flow more freely. it can be done up to 4 times a day. I found this really helped with mine.
Silka, I really hope you get out of hospital soon and get back to your own surroundings. You really dont need this on top of everything else eh? (((hugs)))
Pam. I hope you get your treatment started real soon.
Welcome Smileybabe, sorry I missed you yesterday.

Well this is day 4 and what can I say....so far so good. Last night I had my 1st 5hours sleep in...well...its been so long I cant remember. Since I had my MX on the 5th of July. Tbh thats whats giving me more gip than the chemo at the mo. Although my scar has healed fantastically well, really smooth and flat, I do have problems with seroma. I've had it drained a few times now the last time being 2 weeks ago under a scan as they couldn't feel it on the surface but sure enough it was there. I feel that familier tightness coming back and it can become quite intrusive. I'll hang off a while tho to see what happens before contacting my BC nurse. I still have to take painkllers tho to take the edge off it. So with them, my regular BP pills and now Chemo pills I feel I will rattle soon.
My steriods finish today and my nausea ones too ( I only got 4 days worth!)so I'm a little apprehesive about the weekend without them and the next 2 weeks for that matter. Still I guess the ward is only a phone call away if I start to panic!!
Talking of 'wobbles', I have had plenty, mostly when I found out about the whole thing and the days/weeks that followed, esp the day after my MX!! but thankfully havn't had one for a wee while and where that there will be more to come at somepoint, I feel they are a good release ladies! A good ol bawl gets it out of the system...for a wee while anway.
I'm fortunate that my kids are adults (19, 24..and still live at home! I obviously spoil them far too much!! ) and while shocked it was a lot easier for them to understand and come to terms with. they have in short...been fantastic. I'm really proud of them. The eldest has seen my MX scar too, the youngest has always been 'iccky' that way and Passed on a veiwing...lol! I'm not sure what they will think about their mum when I have no hair....but judging by the slaphead/bald/ and no need to shave jokes being thrown about...I think we will get by!!
I myself.....well we will wait and see ...that could be my next 'wobble'...lol! Still got the wig and the scarfs and the Buffs so I'm prepared on that front...lol!
Okay...think thats all for the mo...sending you all hugs and mininmal Se's.
Soots....xxxx

smc78

Luvvie Good morning and i know exactly where u are on the tears front as i've had a little wobble myself this morning. My son is away with his father at the moment and hasnt seen any of my hair loss. It was the 1 thing he told me he was worried about and hated me having my long hair cut to my chin so i really dont know how he's going to react to coming home and me having no hair. I have spoken to him on the phone abot how much i have lost and have taken regular pics to show him. He's going to his grandparents tomorrow where i will be able to email him the pics and possibly skype him so he will see it before he comes home. I'm off to get my wig cut in hair. I still have strands so i cant really go out without a headscarf on so i just want it gone then i can relax about it.
Luvvie66

Hi everyone,
Welcome aboard Smileybabe..... I'm starting my chemo on Weds too 6xFEC.
I'll be having a PICC line but not sure if it can be done in time for my first treatment, so may have to have first one in hand. Mine is more for administering drugs as I have a tablet phobia.... Am fine with needles, but paranoid about anything that might make me choke.... Tablets and being sick are top of my list...... Chemo is probably not a good treatment for me then !!!
Sika, I'm sorry to hear you're still in hospital, but glad they've identified the problem.I hope they find a solution which stops the pain and enables you I your chemo as planned.

I had a major wobble yesterday, my first real tears

I think that happened for two reasons: Firstly, my appointment with the oncologist made it all seem very real (as if the op didn't?!) I think was the results of the test from America with everything in black and white.... Just brought it home to me that we were talking about ME and not this third person I have been describing when I tell my friends about what's happening......

Secondly, both my sons (13 and 15) ended up in tears, independently, over very trivial things. The eldest has Aspergers syndrome and deals with things factually and doesn't really 'do' emotions, so when he cried I knew it was a biggie. The youngest is just worried about what he doesnt understand.
It just all came tumbling out about how worried they were. We had a good chat, last night, and I'm hoping they are reassured that it's all going to be ok. I think it's the fear of the unknown that's worrying them ie the chemo.

And then I cried..... For hours, tears that I didn't know I had.

And Hubbie, he's not had his wobble yet, so I suspect that's to come....... I really just want to get next week out of the way so we can start to see what 'normal' looks like for the next few months.
smc78

Hi all
Pam i hope it all went ok for u at the mammo .
Welcome Smileybabe. I know the feeling of wanting to get everything started but at the same time worrying about the unknown. I wish u well and good luck for your 1st treatment.
Sootie i've had the burps once or twice and also a bit of heartburn this time. I had the funny taste only on day 3 last time but it seems to be coming and going this time. Its not too bad though. My sickness may have been worse this time (twice instead of once) but i've been fine since after the 2nd lot. I am not sleeping well which i'm guessing is the steriods. Think i've had about 5 hrs if i'm lucky for each of the last 2 nights.
Jax my Picc line was sore for the 1st day or 2 but it did settle down. It can be a little niggly occassionaly but on the whole its not too bad and i'd much rather have this than be prodded with needls constantly. The district nurse said some people do seem to get blood in the line occasionaly like i seem to keep having but its nothing to worry about. It must be flushed as soon as poss if u spot blood though ladies as it can cause a bloackage in the line. They had to change the bung on the end of mine last week as it was blocked with what looked like a very thin piece of bloody thread. Its been fine since then.
Sika sorry to hear you're still in hospital but good news that they have found the root of your problems (scuse the pun 😉 lol ) I hope they manage to sort you out soon so that you can get back home to familiar surroundings.
Off to bed as i actually feel tired now but wonder if this will be the 3rd night in a row where i lay awake for hours.
Hugs to all. Sian x
Sika

having trouble typing on my phone ...was going to add that theres notably more hair falling out today, day 14. i hope i get out before major loss happens - i want to go get it shaved!
Sika

jax and soots, i'm happy to hear the SEs are not too bad - well relatively speaking 🙂 soots i also had that feeling in the oesophagus (sp!) and slept sitting up the first night!
welcome smileybabe!
pam, i hope things went okay today and you were able to start the treatment? hugs.
sian, the flushing sounds like an extra thing you really dont need!
luvvie, glad you now have a plan and a date - its definitely eadier once that is in place - but no less scary! actually once you get started and the treatment becomes yet another 'normal' thing in your life, the fear lessons. while i was sick like the others, i expect my oncologist will give me better meds for next time and i will br just fine then!
i am still in hospital - turns out there was food trapped between my gum flap and the impacted wisdom tooth. theyve cleared the food and would like to remove the tooth. but this would be major surgery, cutting into the bone and everything, and would probably damage a nerve leading to numb lips, tongue and chin that could be permanent! in any case, having surgery is problematic because of the infection risk etc. so, im not sure what will happen. sigh. anyway, i have to stay in hospital until my bloods are up. i thought they were better, but just found out they actually dropped from .6 to .2. so maybe im not going home tomorrow as i had hoped. feeling not too bad though.

a
jaxmackenzie

Hi Ladies..............aside from actually throwing up early yesterday side effects not too bad so far...........bit nauseous but taking as many pills as poss. Shoulder with PICC line is hurting though, hope that does not last and felt quite tired between first and second steriod pills this monring.
Have a good evening

Jax x
sootie961

Afternoon ladies....hope your SE's are mininmal today?
It has to be said I'm feeling reasonably ok at the mo. Aside the initial 24hrs of nausea i've had no sickness.
My hearing is a tad dogey and a bit headachey but they told me this may happen. Apart from that I've got off lighty so far. I was even a tad hyper this morning at the lack of symptoms and trying really hard to calm myself down as I know this may not last. No sneezing or hiccups Sian but lots of burping! I'm trying the little and often on the food front as I fear this may be where I went wrong on the 1st day.
I do think I have early stages of Chemo brain tho........lol! Forgetting what I'm saying in the middle of saying it, forgetting how to work things, where I've put things....the list is endless!! Oh dear and I thought I was bad before chemo!!
hang in there ladies.....take care. Soots...xxx