Starting chemo in August 2012

I’ve been waiting to see if anyone would begin a ‘starting chemo in August’ topic and am beginning to worry that I am the only one! I know this can’t be true though so thought I should just start it off myself. I’ve not been given a formal start date yet but it will be in the next 1-2 weeks: fec-t (3+3). I am meeting the chemotherapy nurse this week. I look forward to meeting others starting around the same time as me. Reading through posts for other months, and the ‘top tips’ has been really helpful.

Hi Sika and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the peer support you will soon have here please feel free to call our helpliners on 0808 800 6000, the lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Sat should you feel like talking things over with someone in confidence.

This link will take you to the ‘Treatments’ web page where you will find further support ideas and information which I hope will be useful to you over the coming months:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Best wishes

Lucy

Hi Sika,

I saw your thread and didn’t want you to be alone. Sadly I doubt that you will be but in the meantime I would recommend that you post in one of the other threads like July so that the ladies there can help answer the many questions that are natural as you start chemo. We have all been in that terribly scared position. Mostly the fear of it is far worse than the chemo. The support and info from the forum is invaluable. Ask away I will keep an eye out for new posts.

Clare

Hi Sika

I echo what Clare has said and we are all here to support one another.
Dani x

Hi Sika

I have nipped over from the April thread to say you will get fabulous support from people on here. I have completed 5 of my 6 chemo and although it has been tough emotionally & physically at times, my friends on the April thread have made life much easier. It is really good to share your experience with people going through the same thing at the same time. It really does make you feel less alone and it amazing how you get support from each other.

I am sure other people will be along to join you soon.

Take care.
S x

Hi Sika
I have had 6 Fec, I underwent cold cap treatment and still have hair. You are probably feeling anxious but take heart. If I can you can it is a challenge but it is an acheivable one and I feel some sense of acheivement now its done

Best Wishes

you can always PM me if you want to chat

Love Poppy x

Hi Sika, I have popped in from the March chemo forum and am having my last Fec tomorrow. Stay with this site because it is brilliant and you will get loads of support. Also the Macmillan Nurses are brilliant if you need to ring them. Don’t feel you are on your own. We are all here to give you support. It is a challenge and I echo what Poppy has said in that it is an achievable one.
If you ever want to ask anything please pm me.
Hope it all goes well for you. I am feeling proud of myself (don’t want to sound like i’m bragging) that I’ve come through it and I have met so many lovely people along the way.
Bettie xx

Hi Sika, you’ve got a chemo buddy!!!

I too was waiting to see if anyone started a thread… I don’t have a date either. I’ve met with my oncologist as I was ‘borderline’ for chemo. Ive decided that it’s the right choice for me

I will be starting a week or so after 6th August, which is when I will cinfirm my decision.

I’m very anxious about it … I’m having 6x FEC and I’ve heard that FEC make you feel sick. I’m one if those people who gets travel sick, can’t go on fairground rides etc etc. I also reacted very badly to the anaesethic when I had my WLE, and the anti sickness drugs they gave me then didn’t work!
My oncologist was very reassuring about this, so fingers crossed it’ll be bearable.

I can feel lots of virtual hand holding coming on!!!

S xxxx

Hi Sika & Luvvie66
Count me in as well :slight_smile:
I have been given a provisonal date of Thursday 2nd August for first chemo. Im having a Picc line put in Monday with a chemo information session schedulled for Wednesday 1st. I was diaganosed with ILC, grade 2, 4.1cm multifocal tumor. My treatment so far has been to have a mastectomy with immediate temporary implant. Im having 4 FEC and 2 Tax. I guess like you Im starting to feel very apprenhensive about the whole chemo thing! I think so far Ive coped by being in constant denial. Time to wake up :slight_smile:

duplicate removed

Luvvie 66, there are loads of antis sickness drugs which will help you. Take them religiously whether you need them or not. I didn’t at first and felt really nauseous but once I got into the habit of taking them they helped. Also ginger, arrowroot, mints anything like that will help you.
I had my last chemo today and you will get through it.
Best wishes
Bettie x

I am from the July group but have only just had my first FEC and so will massively overlap. It wasn’t fun but after 3 days feeling better today!
Kirsten

Finished my FEC T with Avastin in may, wish I’d found this forum sooner!! Hang on in there girls, for every grim day there’s a couple (at least!) of grin days. You find ways to cope with the chemo gremlins, and the chemo ward generally have good suggestions too. And bad memories recede…I remember feeling bloomin awful, but now it’s done crikey I feel so much better!!!
I kept a diary, noting when I felt sick but also when I felt better…sounds daft but I would write myself little notes in ready for the next session, silly things like “awful taste in mouth will be clearing tomorrow”, “next week will be your GOOD week” . It reminded me at the lowest points that you do pick up again, and also reminded me what helped me with the SEs last time, and which foods and flavours were ok… Lol, mainly mango and vanilla ice cream!!!

Hi Ladies, looks like I’ll be joining you on your journey .
I was diagnosed in May, had lumpectomy and lymph node removal in June,then further surgery in July as clear margins were 1mm and at least 2mm is required! I was supposed to start FEC-T chemo, followed by radio therapy and Herceptin on 31st July, however went to seroma clinic this morning and as the wound from the second surgery has not fully healed they decided to put back my chemo start date by a week
Have all you FEC-T ladies been told you will lose your hair? I was told even with the cold cap there was only 20% chance of saving hair so I have decided not to bother with it.

sorry pressed enter twice

Hi just popped in from the June thread. I’ve just had my 3rd FEC my next 3 will be Taxotere. I’d echo the advice on the anti sickness meds; take them religiously - it’s easier to prevent the nausea and vomiting than to try and stop the nausea and vomiting once it starts and remember to shout if the meds you have aren’t doing the trick- there are plenty of options so you might just need some changing but don’t suffer.
I have used the cold cap and I’m really pleased with the results. You still get hair loss but I have not had to resort to my wig yet. My hair has thinned but no bald patches. I’m working for most of the time between my treatments so I desperately wanted to maintain as normal appearance as possible. People at work who know me but don’t know I’m being treated for bc haven’t noticed a change in my hair.
Having said that the cold cap is no picnic! I find it really vile! But for me it is a means to an end and I couldn’t face the thought of losing my hair so I am persevering with it
If you decide to go with it make sure the nurse is competent in putting it on. It needs to go onto wet conditioned hair and the caps come in a variety of sizes. It has to be tight fitting in close contact with your scalp. Have it as tight as you can tolerate. I take 2 paracetamol beforehand as it is quite uncomfortable for the first 10 minutes as the cap is cooling your head . After that it is easier. If anyone wants any more information feel free to PM (personal message) me
This site is fabulous for support and information. This is doable not great and sometimes horrid but there is always someone here to help you through
Good luck
Yvonne x

Jaxmackenzie - I have finished my last chemo yesterday and lost my hair after my first treatment. One thing I would definately say and this is my personal experience only. Once my hair came out I decided to embrace it, went everywhere bald, dressed up, used more make up than usual, lots of jewellery and it was absolutely fine. In the grand scheme of things and I know it is probably a big deal now (it was for me at first) it does lose its significance and bald is beautiful. I have loads of really nice compliments from people and you always think people will stare when you go out but they don’t.If there is the odd one its there problem not yours so I wish you well.
Best wishes with all your treatment. I have a month off now before 20 radiotherapy sessions so I’m going to take the time to pamper myself and have a good drink for the first time in months
Bettie xx

Hi Jackie,
I echo Bettie’s comments and I’ve met her in person and she looks great, a,lovely smiley lady with lots of positivity. I’m not quite as brave, not been to the shops commando, but at home and when people visit,answer the door ,pop out into the street, occasionally in the hospital ( wherever I feel comfortable). I think I’m nearly there with more public displays. I’ve just had FEC 5, might give the head a whirl in the park next time I’m out and about in a few days. Hope I dont frighten too many small children!
Didnt contemplate cold cap as I already get a lot of headaches and didn’t fancy it. My first 3 FEC I experienced severe headaches so was glad I hadn’t gone down that road. I also found the hair shedding very uncomfortable, slept on my forehead for 3 nights, so the shaving off was a must and I felt so much better afterwards. It is strangely liberating .
Good luck. You will do it.
Gaynor xx

Thanks for replies re the cold cap ladies. I am not too bothered about losing my hair, I had it cut very short last week ready for chemo, which was due to start on Tuesday. I have not had my appointment with the NHS “wig doctor” yet but I’ve already bought 3 wigs , which I have worn when I had visitors. They all thought I’d just had my hair done so I was quite pleased the wigs did not look obvious. My son, who is 6 did not bat an eyelid , he only seemed to notice when I had it cut short, he did not comment but he kept rubbing my head, bless him.
Also when I had a look around the chemo suites ( I had to make a choice out of 2 local hospitals as to where to have my treatment) , one of the nurses who showed me around warned me that all the patients she had had with my type of hair (I’m of Caribbean descent), had lost their hair even if using the cold cap. Coupled with this I don’t like being cold so it was an easy decision not to bother with the cold cap.
Another question re chemo…have you been told not to have alcohol? I like a glass of wine with most dinners but a teetotal lady I know having FEC-t says you can’t drink? Although I expect if feeling nauseous , wine is the last thing you feel like having??

Jaxmackenzie - I have had a few drinks with my chemo - now finished Chemo 4 yesterday. You shouldn’t drink the day before your session, and probably not when you are on the steroids, but otherwise as long as you don’t overdo it - its fine. Actually between my 2nd and 3rd sessions I had two nights out - 2 days apart - and drank quite a bit - the second night out - I had a mixture of white wine, gin and t, pims and fizzy wine and I felt absolutely fine the next day - not a hint of a headache - I reckon if I wasn’t on chemo I would have had a hangover. Maybe best not to have any the night before your bloods are taken as well!
Good luck K M xx