1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting chemo in February

juliebtaurus

Re: Starting chemo in February

sharon i got my wig from hothair in metro centre but they have shops all over I would go while you still have hair cos they colour match and styled mine to my own and they take youre NHS voucher I also would advise a monofiliament wig cos it has a realistic scalp and parts anyway very realistic when the wind blows it.Losing my hair was also the biggest thing for me too but ive never bought 1 hat or wore a scarf its just not me I put a little towelling turbie towel on in the morning and its just looks like you washed youre hair ,then put wig and make-up on when i got dressed .Ill post a link
http://hothair.co.uk/retail-stores.html

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all, haven't been on for a few days. Just wanted to let fellow and future feccers know that I'm doing well, and today (day 12) I feel 'normal'.
Although, I used the cold cap, I've decided to go and get my hair cut into a short bob (wish I'd thought/known about the little princess charity when I cut it from fairly long a month ago!!). My hair is okay so far, will be interesting to see what happens over the next few days, don't think I'll be able to rock the monk look ha ha.
Don't you think its ironic that just when you start to feel better you have to avoid crowds... incase you catch something!! Hope your all doing well, take care, love Donna xxx

ChoccieMuffin

Quick plug for a charity that's going to receive some hair from me.

Take a quick squint at http://www.littleprincesses.org.uk. I challenge to you to watch without a tear in your eye.

I had my long hair cut off last week, my daughter's doing the same in solidarity with her mum, and a couple of others on here have done the same. If you can donate hair of 10" or longer, please feel free. My thought on the matter was that someone might as well make use of my hair if I'm not allowed to keep it, and it gave me the mental chance to stick up a middle finger to this stupid disease.

Nuff said, it's late and I SHOULD be asleep... good luck Sharon, and sod's law's the hardest law to live with, isn't it.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Rachel,
Thanks so much for your advice and for sharing your experience, it does make me feel better knowing I'm not going crazy. Sometimes I feel that I worry about my hair more than the actual chemo, but the more I read, the more I realise I'm not alone.
I'm going to get my hairdresser to give me a new short style next week, and it's typical that my hair is the best its been for years!!
Thanks again and have a good weekend.
Sharon xx

pinkrose

Hi Sharonc63

Just wanted to say good luck for your first chemo on 24th. I've had 3 so am half way through this lark. The hair loss for me was the most worrying thing for me, worse than the tests, operations and the thought of chemo. I was really hysterical about it. I had my hair cut short which I hated but this did help me 'fall out' with my hair so to speak beforehand! I managed to keep it for 21 days after the first chemo and by then I'd got really cross with it - I found it everywhere, in my cup of tea in a chocolate cake I'd made and in my bed. I knew that with one blow of the wind it would disappear so I had a shower and washed my hair and it all came out. I was RELIEVED - I couldn't believe it and didn't ever think I'd feel like that. I plonked on my wig and thought that's another bit of this breast cancer lark that I've conquered and now I can cross it off my list.

The hospital recommended a wig lady to me who was brilliant and she came to my house with lots of samples, your BC nurse should be able to recommend someone or a shop. I'm really pleased with it and it's like my old haircut that I liked. I've also got a lovely hat from suburban turban (bit pricey but VERY comfy) and I've also got a couple of scarves from annabandana (very quick delivery and cheap) - I wear these in the house but I'm not brave enough to wear them out!

Saying all this is easy I know for me to say and I did feel exactly like you, but you will get through this and then be able to pass on your advice to others on this forum who are about to go through it. .

Wishing you all the best.
Rachelx.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Sarah,

I'm also starting my chemo - 1st session is 24th Feb. I'm getting really nervous now. Having a port fitted next Friday. The thing that worries me a lot is losing my hair. Does anyone have a contact for a wig maker in the London/Herts area?? Good luck Sarah, hope all goes well.
Sharon xx

Guest user
Not applicable

well done sarah
xxxx

Hi Julie,

so far so good 🙂

Please send sunshine down south.

Sarah.xx

juliebtaurus

sarah hope youre treatment goes ok and anyone else Feccing or taxing this week heres to zero side effects xxxxxxxxxx going to have a lovely walk in the sunshine with my mam today
Hi chris and welcome to this thread youre oncologist sounds like mine but hey ho everyone got to do what feels right for them.
I have already posted on another thread I had my first fluff hair trimmed today ( minute amount but hey its hair and its mine) woo its looking a bit like Pinks now cos ive had it dyed and spiked with wax to make it look a bit longer ( very hip) shame i didnt have her figure or face to match xxxxxxx take care Julie

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Chris
Mine is a similar story to yours. I have my last FEC tomoz and then will be having 4 weeks of rads followed by 18 Herceptin.
Dont be scared the having the chemo is ok its just the side effects that are rubbish. I ended up having a Hickman line put in as my veins are not brill and because the Herceptin will take a year to finish they didnt think my veins would cope. The line is brilliant because there are no needles involved when having the chemo.
You will get through this and if i can be of any help ask.
Best of luck Shirley

Mezzomamma

Best wishes form tomorrow, Sarah.

Cheryl

Hi chris,

Welcome 🙂

Donna, thank you for your kind thoughts, all went well today & so far so good 🙂

Hope everyone else is ok.

Sarah.xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Sarah, good luck with your first chemo today, will be thinking of you. Donna xxx

Minimunchkins

Hi Peeps,

Newbie to this thread but about to join your throng if I may. Had WLE & SNB followed by wider excision - clear margins eventually confirmed last Friday, woo-hoo. Saw ONC this afters & will start course of x 6 FEC on 22nd Feb. Radio & Herceptin to follow but ONC will evaluate required length for both at a later stage of chemo.

I can't even consider the cold cap because a) ONC doesn't like it cos he says chemo can't reach 100% if scalp is being protected; & b) cost - we don't have the equipment. In fact we don't have a resident ONC or oncology ward of our own - we borrow both from Cheltenham!

I was originally hoping to carry on working as much as poss during chemo (already used up a month of paid sick leave) but won't be a hero about it and will rest as much as needed. I also plan to use the facilities in The Haven, which I think I'm lucky to have on the doorstep.

Your personal experiences & SE remedy suggestions are really helpful & I'll continue to check-in to learn/share.

Thanks for listening <<<< hugs>>>> xx Chris xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you Donna and Amber for following up the coldcap thing. I shall ask. Should have been seeing the oncol today but they've moved it to tomorrow. Now I've got the thrush/cystitis back agian (because of all the antibiotics) drinking water and cranberry like mad and hoping all is well tomorrow. (I do hope not caused by the tasty figs.) (I like the threadworm story, Julie: there's a resemblance I hadn't noticed before, but probably always will now!)

Like you, Sarah, I'm not keen on the hours in a hospital thing if shivering isn't going to solve it. Anyway, the grey roots are back and a bit late to dye it now. It might come back renewed!

Guest user
Not applicable

thankyou Sarah,
lots of love and best wishes coming your way for tomorrow, i know how you are feeling i was the same last week,
all i can say is take one day at a time bab,
ive just been out for a walk in the lovely sunshine with my mom and dog, it feels great to get out,
im of to london next friday so i hope the germs stay away from thursday for a week,
love and hugs all
Donna
xx

Hi Donna,

I think we have more risk from things we dont think twice about doing/taking eg signing consent form for surgery etc which we all did/do without giving it a 2nd thought, however like Julie said i too chose not to use cold cap for a variety of reasons the main one being I didnt want to spend a second longer at the hospital than necessary & am not overly fond of hair anyway ( thick, curly need GHD's at least 3 times a day etc etc),am thinking there is a bigger risk of one losing their hair & it actually not working than anything else, so please dont worry 🙂

Am going to officially be a feccer this time tomorrow, so am off out to enjoy the sunshine.

Take care everyone & hope Se's are being kind to those already started.

Sarah.xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

thankyou soooo much amber it was kind of you to re-post so quickly.
ive just called my onc, he said the cold cap just freezes the folicles and im not to worry, i will discuss it though at out next meeting,
oh i have clean hair
love and hugs
Donna
xx

amber32002

Just had a very good look round the research papers and the difference in risk is absolutely tiny in those. 1.1% versus 1.2% in one study, so that's a 1000-1 chance of it making a bad difference I think. Talk it through with the team, definitely, though.

Guest user
Not applicable

Now im scared... im triple negative, and decided to use the cold cap.
Donna xx

ragamuffin

Hi Tiggy80

Re constipation etc- I suggest chatting with the BCN or the Dr you see at chemo session.
Movicol is very good for constipation and Anusol suppositories and or cream will help relieve the pain associated with haemorrhoids.

They should be able to send it home with you from the hospital pharmacy along with the anti emetics.

Good Luck
Diana x

Mezzomamma

Just don't overdo the figs, but you can chop them and use them like other dried fruit in baking.

BTW, popcorn has lots of fibre in it as well. Unfortunately, I like lots of butter on mine.

Glad people are starting to feel better.

Cheryl

juliebtaurus

ha ha hotpot it sounds like your a pint of heinekin (reaching the parts other beers dont reach ) or in our case the chemo
Dried fig addict could come in really well with the constipation but then again you could give yourself the sh--ts.Like I thought i had threadworms when i was addicted to eating celery and the whole family had to be treated for nothing ha ha x

Guest user
Not applicable

Donna, I am sorry to hear you had migraines but that the new week is beiginning more cheerfully. Are you working?

Julie, thank you very much for your note about a possible effect of the cold cap on how well the chemo reaches the parts of one's brain that my brain doesn't reach.... As I'm told that TN recurs in most cases and that the brain is a favourite, I shall mention this to the hospital. I would surely rather have my head than my hair!

I've invested in some stuff from the list there and have been checking them out. And guess what - I really like like dried figs! I did not know this - so a small enhancement to my life.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi folks, just checking back in. It's day 7 for me, and things are beginning to pick up again, not a great weekend - although I don't think I can blaim it all on chemo!! Migraine headaches attacked me for a couple of days, so I'm hoping that's my se over for this cycle. Hope you are all keeping well. Donna xxx

juliebtaurus

Hotpot you have to do whats right for you on the cold cap it works for some and others have lost their hair anyway but just a few thoughts that made my decision was
It puts longer time on youre chemo visit
My oncologist said because it protects hair follicles by freezing them the chemo may not reach all the brain ( and wanted to make sure i got every last one of the little buggers and none were hiding up there )
couldnt stand the ice-cream headache
and had a fab wig which nobody could tell like my own style and colour
but others have tolerated it fine and with good results so it has to be youre decision xxxxxxxxJulie

juliebtaurus

Hi ladies glad all of you who got through youre 1st one ok and well done that is definately the worst ( just due to the fear of the unknown ) but once that ones over you will be fine. I used radip lash aswell but fortunately got mine as a freebie as its very expensive( £40) but just wanted to say that avon have a lash serum and mascara on special at the moment for £5 normally £10 it probably does the same thing apparently the models use vaseline on theirs . I was fortunate not to loose eyelashes and eyebrows just thinned and were fillable with pencil . good luck for all of you with 1st session this week .
ps I wasnt given antibiotics as my oncologist believes in only taking them if you need them I just watched my temperature on days 7-14 and if it goes above 37.5-38 d celcius ring bc nurse ,I also was signed off work for full treatment as Iam a nurse and work on an isolation/infectious ward so work for me was an absolute no no . xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello again people,
All this is v. interesting. I shall see what the rapid lash looks like. I think my post-op site is now back to normal(ish) so I'm truly hoping the treatment starts this week. I'd like a pleasant summer time - but mainly I want these TN cells attacked.
Off to shop today with that wonderful list in hand. It's good to hear that your early days are manageable. Still uncertain about the c cap....
Cheers all, HP

Guest user
Not applicable

hello there,
the rapid lash has fab results, its like a conditioner, it helps with brittle lash and makes them grow, im giving it a go, cant help but try,
take care everyone, day 3 now and still feeling great,
take care call
love and hugs
Donna
xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

I have just had my first treatment and it was fine. Felt abit sick when I got home but just slept it off. Trying the cold cap and I am really hoping it works...but getting a wig next week just in case! It was cold but I could deal with it. I have 6 cycles of FEC with herceptin and intend to keep my life as normal as possible. I dont feel poorly at all so bring it on i say! Has anyone else had any experience with cold cap?
Sarah

ChoccieMuffin

Mascara, darling! Bev, looking forward to seeing the new haircut. Could still be looking at joining you in Feb, should have more of an idea on Monday - I've been bothering the BCN to get her to bother the pathologist to extract his digit.

Hi Donna,

have decided not to use cold cap but rapid lash sounds interesting, what is it ? xx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi sarah
well done in getting your hair cut, i did too,
yes i used the cold cap, and yes it was cold but stick with it, once 10 mins was over it was fine,
the test will be on day 14, thats when its likely to come out, but we will wait and see,i can only try,, think id rather loose my hair than lashes as i have wig ready, but i do like to have my mascara on !!!!
also im using rapid lash from boots, it may protect my lashes or even protect what little is there,
we will see
love and hugs all
DONNA
XXXX

Hi Donna,

am glad all is going ok, 4 more days till i join you, am off to get hair cut today 😞 are you using cold cap ? Sarah.xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

morning ladies,,
day 2 and alls well, i had alittle upset tummy during the night but i feel fine now,,,
i was told to take 3 lots of the antibiotics on day 8 protect me from any infections,, im happy to carry on with onc. instructions,
oh i cant wait to wash my hair i will do it tomorrow and gently .

love and hugs
Donna
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hey. Thanks for the nice replies. I thought I'd get my haircut as the nurses said FEC would almost definitely result in hair loss, and the hospital (near Edinburgh) doesn't offer the cold cap. Also i'm too chicken to have a freezing cold head! I'll try posting on the younger womens section for fertility chat as suggested. Night x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hiya Bob20,
I start FEC next Thursday and I've been advised not to drive to or from sessions due to poss SE and the steroids may make you hyper.
By the looks of things it depends on which hospital you are under for treatment.

Again, I'm not being given anti-biotics, but have been told to keep temperature chart and phone / go in if I'm at all worried about having infection.

I hope this info helps you.

Good Luck with the egg harvesting, there may be more info about this in the younger women's section, but I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction.

lots of love
Helenxx

Hi All,

cant help with the egg harvesting either but as said before hopefully someone will be along or otherwise you could try on the younger womans thread as believe a cpl on there are doing it.

Ref antibiotics, my hospital sends us home with them too & we are told if we need to start taking them they will ring us (am guessing if blood tests show infection) also are sent home with an anti sickness injection as District nurse rings everytime chemo is given later in the day when you are home to check all ok & if you are feeling or have been sick she comes out & gives injection.

hope everyone is ok, am on mega countdown now 😞

Sarah.xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Al, and welcome to the site. I'm sorry I have no information about harvesting eggs prior to chemotherapy, but I'm sure someone will come along and be able to help you.
I would get advice from your chemo nurse about getting your hair cut before starting as if you decide to use the cold cap you may find you don't need to cut your hair (I didn't, very early days for me, but the nurse told me I shouldn't cut my hair - and to be honest it didn't take much persuasion) so fingers crossed the cold cap will help me retain, some (enough)of my hair.
My chemo nurse also suggested that I didn't drive to my first chemo session, cause your never sure how you will feel afterwards. I didn't want my hubby with me for the session, felt I'd cope better on my own (be braver perhaps?) but did arrange for someone to come and pick me up afterwards. Probably will arrange for someone to come get the next time too, as its one less thing to worry about.
Good luck with your egg harvest, and your chemo, take care Donna xxx.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi.
This is my first post. Have read lots of posts, but not got round to writing any yet. But this thread was very relevant as I too start in Feb, so here goes!
I'm due to start chemo on the 23rd, all being well. Currently going through IVF to harvest some eggs and fingers crossed get some embryos frozen (don't have any kids yet).
I've got the same fears as everyone else here - the dreaded side effects! Also not looking forward to losing my hair which is currently long and thick, though I'm getting it all chopped off before I start chemo.

Has anyone else here been through fertility treatment prior to chemo? I've been doing injections since December which make you tired and grumpy (or maybe that's just me...) and I will be relieved when i finally get to stop. Suppose i'll need to get used to feeling like a human pincushion!

One more question for people who have already started chemo - has anyone been driving to and from chemo themselves or is it best to get someone to drive you there? My husband will definitely come with me the first time, but wondered what the norm is.

Good luck to the rest of you out there

Al x

Mezzomamma

Working from home when you can is a good idea, especially if any illnesses start going round, but make sure you send copies on to people on a regular basis, or save to the shared system if that's what you do, because you can be fine one day and in bed the next--and that's always just when you planned to finish something off, isn't it? You should probably try to avoid going in on days 10-14, I think it is, when immunity is likely to be lowest.

One day at a time is the motto!

Best to all who have started or are about to.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

Congrats to all who have gone through your first session, I hope you are all well today.

Unfortunately, things took a little turn for the worse for me last night, very painful stomach, which carried on to this morning. Eventually phoned chemo nurse who told me the steriods can cause excess acid build up and advised me to contact my gp and request omeprazole (sp). My lovely gp was happy to help and within an hour I had my new meds and at last everything began to calm down.

Donna P, do you know if giving antibiotics is standard practice in your area? can't remember seeing this before? How do you feel about making the decision you need to take antibiotics??

Hotpot, I am worried about catching an infection, but also I'm worried about going crazy at home ha ha!! I'm in a lucky position that my work is very flexible and I can also work from home so I hope I can manage it. Will give it a try, and just take one day at a time.

Hope everyone is having a good evening, and I'm looking forward to going to my wig fitting tomorrow lunchtime, just incase the cold cap doesn't work as well as I hope it does. Dxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

hello ladies,,
had first FEC yesterday,, all is well today cooked a casserole, pottered about, im just taking one day at a time.
just wondered if anyone else had been given antibiotics to take on there second week ive been given 2 lots, i dont mind as it fight against any infections i may pick up,,
take care
Donna
xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for the messages and updates, ladies. I think that next week looks more likely now for my starting this chemo regime, as the infection seems to be better.... I must say that the posts from you all and other people on the forum are a real help in taking away the fear of the unknown. I shall be "lurking" with interest to see if the cold cap is worth it. If it is only going to postpone the inevitable, rather than avoid it then I might just cut it all off and go for the full Dolly Parton.

Donna - you raise an interestinh point about work. I retired recently and have been working self-employed. I've finished all my commitments, bar one, and I do feel quite relaxed about not having to make that early start out of the house. I really don't know if I'll be able to take up the other requests for work I have. I'd thought that Satre's "hell is other people" was relevant when the white blood cell count was low. People do come in to work with all kinds of lurgies - has your clinic given you advice?

Tig - you echo many of my worries. The body has so many interesting bit to go wrong, doesn't it? I read through the list which Julie refers to and it does seem really useful. Cheers, The Pot.

Guest user
Not applicable

hello lovely ladies,
All went just great yesterday, if only we could bottle the feelings of the experience to our other ladies who are facing there first treatment it would help them soo much,
i was given emend, steriods, then the FEC and i went through with the cold cap, brrr at first but fine after 10 mins.
i have a load of tablets to take, steriods, heart burn more antisickness, more emend,
i so hope this feeling stays with me, my mom wants to stay to look after me, love her to bits
thank you allll for thinking about me and your kind words
i will be back later, time for another cuppa
love and hugs
Donna
xxx

Hi Everyone,

Tiggy I start Wednesday too so know how you are feeling but give Gp a call & get sorted before because as you say you dont want extra suffering on top of everything else.

Hope everyone else is doing ok, was thinking of you today on number 1 Donna.

Jo, Deb hope you ladies are doing ok

Love to everyone

Sarah.xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Ladies

Tiggy, dont't suffer through this time. it's a hard enough time and these people are here to help you! Please phone your GP and ask for a prescription, he surely will understand? Please try?

I have just returned from my first chemo of 3 docetaxol and 3 x FEC, thought it would be the other way round but hey I hope they know best

I was a nervous wreck but It actually went like a dream; I know that that can change though but as we all need to enjoy the good times I am currently enjoying a glass of wine in the here and now.

Donna P I so hope today went well for you? I know you were in at 10 and and so hoped you would have a message here. I hope you are well my love and that everything went well for you.

Hugs

xxx

Scrapper

juliebtaurus

tig dont worry we all have our wobble days and we're allowed as it comes closer to start the fear starts to kick in again but you will be ok after 1st one over xxx big hugs . there is a good recipe for " go cake) for constipation on page 2 of pink road of chemo tips . I know its old fashioned but a spoonfull of Andrews ( fizzing in water ) used to do the deed for me and it also settles youre stomach if its a bit churny. hope it all goes ok for you xx Julie

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies,

Just thought I'd post to see how you got on today, I hope you first sessions went ok.
I start my first cycle of FEC next Wednesday, and I'm so nervous too. They're fitting me with a central line on Monday as I had surgery to both breasts. I'm so scared of that!! I have to wash in hibiscrub AND wash my hair with it.
Seeing the chemo suite today and signing my consent just brought it home to me that this is really serious, I think I've been getting through on adrenaline so far. From diagnosis to surgery then through an IVF cycle and now chemo, it's just a nightmare.
I've asked and asked about preventing constipation (I'd rather be sick than bunged up), and I suffer really badly with it and piles (nice I know!). I'm thinking it's too late now to see my GP to get some help with the haemorrhoids before treatment but they have often caused me so much pain I'm in tears 😞 Just can't face the thought of being like that AND trying to get through all the other stuff. They just keep saying drink lots and try dried fruit, but I still suffer.
I'm going to try the cold cap - any advice there? None of them seemed to fit properly so is it really worth it?!

Sorry to babble, lots going through my head at the moment. I thought I'd be braver but having a wobble today!!

I hope you're all doing well.

Tig

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All

DonnaP - I hope 1st session has gone OK and you're feeling OK.

Sarah - Hope the haematoma doesn't cause any problems or delay you starting chemo.

Hotpot - I'm sorry about your infection, but it will be much better for you if the infection is cleared up before you start chemo. A week does feel like a lifetime when you're waiting but it's not really, or so my kids keep telling me. (I guess it's get your own back for all the times I told them the same thing when they've wanted something.)

I like the idea of silk pillowcase and will have to get sewing!

I rang work today and have been told it's not a good idea to go in before treatment next week as the office staff have all got coughs & colds! I'm a bit annoyed as I wanted to get back in before I started to get some structure back to life plus I only get 3 months sick pay and have used one up already!(probably should have posted this bit on what made me scream thread - sorry girlies)

Anyway, hey ho onwards and upwards to the treehouse.
love
Helen xxx