cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting chemo in May 2011

Ninja

Re: Starting chemo in May 2011

Hi Everyone.

It's now 7 weeks since my hysterical-rectomy and things are good. I'm allowed to swim again; it was painful last year but I tried again yesterday and my shoulder is OK now. It didn't start to hurt until I'd done half a kilometre.

I've been saving Airmiles for about 20 years and we are finally using them - just booked to go to Thailand in a month - we are travelling around inside the country independently so it should be a laugh, we have never been there before.

Don't know the answer to your question, Cherry, but my OH has been just the same as always. I guess it depends how strong the relationship is to start with.

Hope that everyone is just getting On With Life; I am trying to.

cherryorchard

Haven't checked in for awhile but nice to see that people are enjoying our warm summer. Today has been a bit of a let down though - it hasn't stopped raining since I opened the curtains this morning.
Having a bit of trouble with my back which doc thinks is sciatic pain. I had x-rays done and am just awaiting results. Keep your fingers crossed the doc is right. A few years ago it would never have crossed my mind that it could be anything else but bad posture.
I had coffee with an old friend yesterday and we were discussing a mutual aquaintance with BC who has thrown her husband out while she is still in the middle of treatment. The marriage was already troubled before she was diagnosed and I think the husband's lack of consideration and her own difficult emotional state probably contrived together to become the proverbial last straw. The thing that really upset me was my friend saying she couldn't understand why the wife had thrown him out but she would not have found it strange if he had left her. The reason being nothing to do with their already troubled marriage but because a man would find it difficult to stay with a woman who had a masectomy! I am really beginning to wonder what men think of women who have had breast cancer surgery - does it really bother them. Or is it women who think they can't keep a man unless they have normal breasts (or fake ones).
Love to all, Cherry

GIJaneH

I'm so glad you clarified that Smiles - I was compeltely confuddled! Lyn Fedema is not a nice friend to tag along so much of the time!

Mandy - how was the cruise?

Hope you've all been enjoying the summer..... bit hot to work, but lovely, lovely, lovely to be able to sit outside in the evenings...

Picked currants last weekend and made 15 jars blackcurrant jam and then this weekend 7 jars redcurrant jelly... Got courgettes and cucubers to eat, and the tomatoes are coming on....

Life finally feels back to NORMAL... (whatever that is) (and I probabl shouldn't say it too loudly)

hope you're all OK

love Jane

Guest user
Not applicable

good old predictive keyboards, what a load of nonsense. that should have read that I too now have lymph oedema. xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Wow, it's so great to hear everyone is doing so well! Life is good for me too. the usual to deal with with the s/e's front the drugs but nothing that I can't handle. Also unfortunatelym podia visit from Lduo but that's all under control. Opted to have an oopherectomy last year - no regrets.
so glad I checked in.
Smiles xx
harp1970

Hi all,

Hope you've all got wonderful Summers planned. Have a great hol, Mandy. It sounds fab and you deserve it. I'm going to italy with my best friend in a couple of weeks, and to Devon with my bro and family after that. Like you Jane I can't fly long haul cos of Lyn Fedema, but Italy is fine with me 😉 Lots of love to you all and keep the beast locked up xxxx

GIJaneH

Oh Mandy - have a. WONDERFUL time...that's brilliant

i said no to Sri Lanka.Friends had a look at America, but it's so expensive these days.... I think we only have enough money for one more expensive holiday ever, and my oh really wants to see The Northern Lights, so maybe next year. no mosquitoes there! My best friend really wants to do that too, so we just have to persuade her hubby!

it's really hard to know what it's sensible to do or not do with Lynn Fedema in tow...

hope you're all well. Mammo next month, but I finally feel like I've got my mojo back 🙂

mangochutney

Hi girls.
I lost touch for a while! Usually I get email notifications telling me when someone has posted on our thread but occasionally they go in my "junk" mail folder and I don't see them for ages.
Anyway, I've found you all!
Like you Jane, I had a fabulous holiday booked in 2011, and something got in the way!! A lovely cruise. Obviously we cancelled it. During chemo, one day they had 4 attempts to get a cannula in. And during that time I was on the ceiling. In tears, completely uptight. They got one of the complementary therapists to see me and try some relaxation/hypnotherapy on me. She told me to take myself to my favourite place, in my mind. I promptly burst into tears! I immediately thought of the bar on the back of my favourite cruise ship, Aurora. And all I could think was, "I'll never get back cruising" "I'll never set foot on a ship again".
And now,2 weeks on Sunday, fingers crossed, we are finally setting sail again!! With Royal Carribean this time, for the first time!!!
Sooooooooo looking forward to it. Never thought I'd get here, back then. Quite emotional about it actually. Don't think I'll really believe it until I'm on the balcony in my cabin, moving away from the dockside in Southamptin.
Like you Wandy, and probably most of us on here, I'm keeping the "monster" in a steel cage, fully padlocked, at the back of my mind. That's not to say it won't be coming cruising with me!! I'm sure it will. But I'm going to try not to let it out of the cage and spoil my holiday.
Lots of love to you all
Keep in touch
Mandy xxx

GIJaneH

Glad that's behind you ninja.... Hi Wandy....
i was due to go to Florida with my best friend in 2011... Only something got in the way! Wasn't well enough..."next year". Something to look forward to". They went to st lucia instead. Next year. Now they want to go to Sri Lanka. Would we like to come? Not sure whether I can cope with long flight and the high humidity out there..... And OH is feeling pressurised and grumpy. I've knocked over TWO glasses tonight and made a mess! Any one been to Sri Lanka?

Ninja

Hi girls. I had my hysterical op yesterday. I'm ok, just sore. Internet patchy xx

Wandy

Hello girls

Thought I'd check in again and see how you were doing Ninja. Think you had your op this week.
Hope everyone else ok too!

Wandyx

Wandy

Hello all my May girls,
Thought I'd check in as haven't been on the site for ages. Only look every now and then to see if any of you have posted. Like you Jane, I just can't read about the newbies or secondaries and am just grateful for the here and now and to be here!!
Hope you are all well. Ninja I gues you will be heading towards your hysterectomy. Hope all goes well and the recon after it. Will be thinking of you and do post on here to say how you are doing.
Turkey was amazing and everything it was meant to be. Lots of lying in the sun, swimming and reading books. I was garnering my strength because the day after we got back OH went into hozzie for a hip replacement and so I knew I would be in charge of everything for awhile. So I've been pretty flat out for the last couple of weeks as we have two active spaniels that need a big fell walk every day, my elderly Mum lives with us and she needs quite a bit of care and there are numerous medical appointments and so on....Hey ho...such is life! It keeps me busy tho so no time to fret about bc much...although it is always something that still lurks.....might I get secondaries??...will it come back again?? etc....although I keep it very much shut in a little box. I do hope we still all stay loosely in touch. We meant such a lot to each other for at least a year and more and I would hate to lose touch.
Hope everyone is managing a bit of summer now...its been glorious here in Cumbira for a week now...(she whispered...just in case it stops too soon!!)
Take care all
Love
Wandyxx

GIJaneH

Hi everyone. I only read a few threads these days. Ones that I've been travelling with for years. Definitely avoid the new, raw pain, and the secondary threads. As you said ninja, it seems the first two years are high risk, and we have done really well, we're ALL still here...

harp1970

Hi everyone-glad to hear everyone's okay. I felt emotional on 22nd May as that's when my hair fell out! It's much thinner now and straight which is very odd as it resembled a mad poodle before, but i finally feel really fab again and am loving life just as I did before. BC is not on my mind every day as it has been for so long, and now the hysterectomy's done and dusted I feel like I can move on with my life. I have just started going out with a very nice man whom I met a few weeks ago. It's lovely having someone to go out with. We're just friends at the moment but I'm loving having someone different in my life. Turkey sounds wonderful, Wandy. Wouldn't mind it myself one day! We are usually in Cumbria at Easter, but Annabel is applying to uni in Lancaster so might be up a bit more often if that's where she ends up.

Enjoy Bank hols and lots of love to you all
Rach x

Ninja

Hello! This is the only thread I read and post on. Glad that people are getting on with life.
My hysterectomy is in 4 weeks and a recon meeting 8 weeks after that, so summer is written off
I'm hearing about more and more stuff that I can't go to - last nght it was a pop quiz (I *love* those) that'll take place while I'm still in hospital. Grrrrr.
We don't have any holidays booked due to the above.
On a positive note, I've got more energy for the garden this year and it's looking all neat and getting colourful again.
Angie is still very well but one of the really lovely ladies that was at the same hospital as us died last week - when I was just finishing my herceptin, she was having to go in every week for chemo again.
Sigh.

mangochutney

Hi everyone!!!!!
Not been on our thread for a while, as my laptop had packed up and i find typing on my ipad a fad!
Lovely to hear that everyone is doing well. (or as well as can be expected!),
We have a cruise booked for 7th July. Sooooooooooo looking forward to it. We cruised every year pre BC and had to cancel one in 2011 for obvious reasons. Never thought Id get to do another one!!! And now, fingers crossed, Ill soon be back on board!!!! So looking forward to some sunshine, a few cocktails and taking it easy with a good book or two!!!!
Cherry, you're so right. I was quite emotional on 6th May, thinking back to my first chemo that day 2 years ago. As most of you know, I work as a staff nurse at the Oncology hosplital where I had my treatment. And I never thought, 2 years ago, when I walked through the doors as a patient, that I would be walking back through them now in uniform as the nurse!!!! Surreal!!!!
I find it quite amusing (if thats the right word) and heartwarming, reading all about everyone, and what we are all doing in our "normal" lives!! Its lovely!!! At last getting to know a bit more about the REAL people before BC tarnished us all.
All of my friends keep telling me its time I gave up coming on the forums. And although I agree with them to some extent, I just cant let go. And I dont want to let go of all you lovely ladies who played a massive part in my journey! I must admit, I still find it harrowing reading on the current threads about new ladies getting diagnosed and the horrendous trauma they are going through. Kind of brings it all back. Think Ill avoid reading those threads and stick to this one and one other Ive always gone on.
Keep in touch everyone.
Lots of love
Mandy xxxxx

GIJaneH

Hi Cherry! Good to hear from you! Glad you are doing Ok (ish) - I'm much the same.... thinner on top than I would like, lymphedema nagging, but glad to be alive and otherwise healthy. I was talking to someone today about tattoos for eyebrows... anyone any thoughts/experience?

Weirdly, the other day I just hit a "chemo wall" and felt just as I did whilst on chemo - tired/non-specific achy/yuk.... I think it was my body talking to me (workign too hard!) and I was OK the following day, but it brought it all back with an unexpected reality "I remember, this is how I felt when I was on chemo..." Wasn't expecting that one!

Hope everyone else is OK. We're off on our holiday on Saturday, so I'm looking forward to the rest..

Jane xx

cherryorchard

Hi everyone,
Just thought I would post to bring our thread back up near the top again. I am sure it has not escaped anyones attention that it is two years since we started chemo. I can't help but compare how frightened and depressed I was then and how much much better I feel now. I can go days now without thinking about BC. Things aren't as good as they were before. My hair grew back fine,thin and straggly. My eyelashes are still short and brittle and I still get pain from time to time in my boob and armpit but I can live with it.
I am doing some much needed work done on the house. I have redecorated my daughter's bedroom and I am giving the hall and the kitchen a lick of paint to freshen things up. I'll be tackling the bathroom next. Not a total refit just replacing the taps, which were chrome once but are no longer, and replacing the fittings which are looking dated and tired.
Hope everyone is doing well and had a chance to enjoy the sunshine over the bank holiday.
Cherry

GIJaneH

Hello all... Such good news! Fsntastish all round. Enjoy Turkey Wandy. Ladies, we can thoroughly recommend it. We had a wonderful restful time there last year, with fantastic scenery/views....
I've got 2 weeks off in May - going to friends caravan in Northumberland, and sharing it with es & DIL for a week, so they can have holiday.

myLynn is misbehaving. Now got a sleeve from knuckle to bra strap, with a strap that goes diagonally across body and is highly visible. It's ,ore comfortable this weather, but I hate to think what summer's going to be like...

Keep well...
love Jane

Wandy

So do we!! But we're not quite mountaineers yet!! I'm too unfit and OH needs a new hip which he is getting end of May. He used to romp up and down every scar and crag but we are working our way gently to better fitness , although think when he has his new hip he will be romping ahead of me!!
Let me know when you are over this way..xx
Wandyx

Ninja

Wandy - we are over in Cumbria loads - we love the mountains.

Wandy

Great to hear everyone's news. Lovely to hear from you Rach and glad all is going well.
Oooops Sorry Ninja about the ref:.... transposed me numbers,.... that should read TK1534 NOT TK1543!!

If anyone is ever heading this way, let me know and will try and arrange a get together!

Love to all

Wandyxx

harp1970

Hello my lovely May girls,

So sorry not to have posted for so long. I had to have notepad to make notes so I could reply to you all.
Jude-how exciting to have a new grandaughter. I bet you are spoiling her rotten. Lovely name too!
Mandy/Ninja I'm glad you got good results and are doing well. Ninja-I hope the weather is better after your op than it has been after mine. We were snowed in so no visitors for a week or two!
Wandy-glad your bone scan was clear and glad you've settled into your new home. I was in the Lakes last week and thinking of you x
Cherry-sorry Lyn Fedema is visiting you too. She is such a pain. I have now learned how to control her and her behaviour is better as a result.
Jane-I laughed out loud at your "hag" story. I had a similar experience at the swimming pool. I looked in the mirror and saw a middle aged woman looking back at me. BC has really aged me and changed my body shape completely. Also my hair is thin at the front. I had masses of hair before. Now I do a comb over every morning! I also get phantom pains in my boobs, and I don't even have any. I itch my prostheses!
I am now fighting fit after 12 lovely weks of being pampered by my Mum. I feel really good again and am swimming 3 times a week. My lymphoedema is much better and i can play the big harp again. I now belong to 2 orchestras. Went back to work part time this week, full time next week. I finally feel much stronger, happier and accepting of what's happened. I'm sure I'll still wobble from time to time, but I feel better than i have for ages.
It's lovely to hear from you all
Lots of love Rachel xxxx

una12

Ninja - many, many congratulations on the 2 year results, am so happy for you, and here's to lots more chances to break open the bubbly. Sorry you have a fair bit of surgery lined up over the summer, but like you say maybe you just have to plan to take it easy for a bit (after Snowdon of course!). Wandy, your new team sound great, it's good to feel they are listening to you and offering some practical help. Hope you and OH have a great time in Turkey, and the joint pains improve. I have just changed from Tamoxifen to Anastrazole (yesterday) as last blood tests show I am now officially post-menopausal, so waiting to see if any change in SEs (have been the usual tiredness and hot flushes for the last 18 months, but all ok otherwise) Still feels weird to have hospital letter confirming menopause! - but generally just very happy that all check-ups ok, feels like another big milestone. Cherry, Mandy, Jane, Rachel, hope all ok with you too and you have had a chance to enjoy some sunshine.
Much love, Jude

Ninja

Hi Folks. Had my 2-year mammo this week and apparently it all looked OK at first glance.

Having first surgery on 14 June - hysterectomy and oophrectomy and pelvic floor repair and bladder being hoisted up. Thanks to Tamoxifen - NOT.

I'm having a decisions/options meeting in May for the chest/boob stuff. Looks like being a take-it-easy summer.

Aye, Wandy, doing the Snowdon walk in six weeks. It's a bit like herding cats at times! Exercise and light weights (the tiniest dumbbells I could find) has *really* helped my stiffness and scar tissue issues.

Wandy - that ref number doesn't work

I hope that everyone is doing OK.

Wandy

Hello everyone,
Sooo glad that a) you are still here Ninja!!, b) that everything is looking positive!! I think you have a fair bit of surgery scheduled tho don't you? Hope that goes well. Are you also doing the Snowdon climb?

How are all the rest of my May girls? Glad things are getting sorted re your mothers' estate cherry, what is everyone else up to???
I'm just great. Met all my new team last week and had my 2 year mammo and check by a new breast physician who was lovely. All is well. My pain on remainder of my operated on side is purely and simply down to lots of surgery AND the radiotherapy which I sort of forgot about!!.....Of course it takes a long time to heal from the x3 lots of slicing and the radiotherapy always destroys things, so although not much to be done except take pan relief at least its not sinister! And for the first time a woman breast doc has said that I should not have to put up with 5 years of terrible joint pain and is going to switch me from Letrozole to Arimidex....I know they are fairly similar but she said its worth a try and if I don't get on with it then she'll just switch me back. So I am trying it for 3 months and then she will monitor me again. So alll in all am v pleased with my new people and everything is looking good for the mo!
OH and I are off to our place in Turkey in a couple of weeks for much needed rest. Am sooooo looking forward to it and it will do him the world of good too. He has not had a hols since before my dx, as I went to Turkey last year with my sis and chum. so it will be great and hopefully be warm and lovely! Remember all of you, the property is available to any of you who want a hols. Its FREE to you, you just have to get yourselves there. Prop TK1543 on Owners Direct.
Anyway hope everyone is well and looking forward to some spring weather!!
Love to you all

Wandyxx

mangochutney

Great news Ninja!!!
Here's to many more years to come
Mandy xxxx

cherryorchard

Great news, Ninja! Hope you enjoyed the bubbles last night.

GIJaneH

Fantastic ninja!

Ninja

Hi folks.
Just popped in to say:
Today is my Cancerversary - two years. My cells were so aggressive that I had 75-80% chance of having secondaries or being dead within that time. I was told that if I survived the first two years then I should be OK for a few more years.
I'm still here. No recurrence.
Bubbles are being imbibed.
IFHC.
Hope you are all good.

cherryorchard

That is good news Jude! I'm sure you are sleeping better at night now that you know there was nothing sinister going on.
Jane, I just has a lump removed so have no need for the falsies but I love the name, "been-a-boob". Sounds like you have a phantom nipple. Like you said that must be weird. Do you have to scratch to get rid of the sensation?
Wandy, It sounds like you are settling in welll and enjoying life in the Lakes. Like you I feel sorry for the hill farmers who have lost so many of their flock because of the weather especially during lambing season. Did I read that right? Your BC was 5cm? I think you were node negative, like me. Mine was 2.5 cm and I still cannot believe that I didn't have a node or two that turned out to be positive. I keep thinking there must have been one that they missed.
I have found that since the surgery and treatment that I have stopped sweating almost completely in the axilla of side where my cancer was. I am not bothered about it but wonder if anyone else has had a similiar experience and if their doctors could explain it. Have to admit I forgot to ask when I went for my check last month. I am wondering if the surgeon cut a nerve when he was digging around looking for lymph nodes.
Had all the family here for Easter plus son-in-law's family. It was my grandson's first birthday, too. I do wish his aunt hadn't given him a drum. No chance of a lie-in when he is banging the drumsticks on the wooden floor and radiators.
Things are progressing slowly with my mother's estate and I think I can see the end in sight. I had a major falling out with one of my sisters who accused me and our other sister of stealing almost half of the money that our mother left. I had sent her some information on my mother's bank accounts, etc. and because she couldn't do some simple addition she thought we had transferred half of it to a secret bank account so she couldn't have her share. I had to do what amounted to some very basic maths for her and although she says she now understands, she didn't have the courtesy or good manners to apologise for her outrageous accusations. Really bad behaviour on her part but they do say that money can bring out the worst in people and she is the poster child for that old saying.
I hope everyone is doing well and keeping their fingers crossed for warmer weather.

GIJaneH

Hellloooooo-ooooo!

Everyone OK?

love
Jane xx

GIJaneH

Fantastic news Jude!

I was just wondering yesterday how all the May Girls were doing, and there we were on the front page again!

I'm glad you're pleased to be home Mandy.... yes, the poor lambs really are suffering and dying... tragic...
Hope the new Breast Team are good, and that you get some help with that boob. The thing I find odd is that I still sometimes get a very itchy nipple.... where there isn't one! Weird... Weird but not painful... hope you get sorted...

For those like me who had mxs, have you come across/tried "been-a-boob" falsie? It's a bean bag, and I find it (a) more realistic (b) more comfortable (c) better balanced with the real boob..... Might depend on size, but I think they're fab.... Must get another one ....
Happy Easter everyone...

love Jane xx

una12

Dear all, huge relief all round today as had an ultrasound at the hospital and nothing suspicious found - phew! They have been brilliant, been seen 3 times over the last few days but decided everything ok. Mammogram fine,possibly some lymphoedema but very mild so no treatment at the moment - even said could just be cos skin looser as I have lost weight(!!) Don't think you could ask for much more .... Thank you for the encouraging messages, they really helped last week when I was imagining all sorts. I hope everyone has a great Easter with time to do some of their favourite things, and good results on all those 2-year tests. Sorry to hear about the ongoing pain Wandy, sounds like it would be worth talking to your new team about.
Love to all, Jude

Wandy

Can't believe its a month since I posted!! Very bad May girl that I am!! Jude, reading back I noted that you were concerned, what happened??Did you get any reassuring news? i hope so....
How is everyone else? I guess the fact that we aren't on here much, means we are just getting on with life, which is good. Even thought i don't post as much I still think of you all regularly. I am coming up for my next mammogram, 2 years after last (of 3) surgeries!!! unbelievable to think 2 years has gone by. Amazing!!
We are settling into our new life here in Cumbria and LOVING IT!! Lots of dog walking on the fells and then falling into pubs!! Great! We have still got a hooooge amount of snow too and some roads are still impassable, amazing. In fact except for one milder week, we have had non stop snow since we got here in January. I love it but we are very conscious up here of all the farmers struggling with their sheep who are lambing like crazy at the moment. There are bound to be losses, which is tragic.
I have transferred all my medical stuff up here and are finding the GP surgery brilliant and will be going to a new breast team at Carlisle in April so will hopefully get on with all the new BCN's and so on.
My joints are still painful but am just learning to live with it, however my operated on boob is still agony and I will be mentioning this...should I still have a lot of pain 2 years later?? I DID have a lot of surgery...x1 WLE and x2 further excisions. I had a lot of tumour...over 5cms but cos I'm quite a big girl the surgeon was persuaded by me not to go for a mx but to do breast conservation. I sometimes have a teeny niggle that I have the pain because some of the cancer is still there. Its probably paranoia on my part but I will ask for an ultrasound as well as mammo this time just to put my mind at rest.
Anyway, must away for a woofle walk. Hope everyone is doing well. Love and hugs to you all.
Happy Easter

Wandyxx

GIJaneH

Have a hug Jude! What a grim place to be in - hoping that is IS Lyn Fedema paying a visit and nothing more - it does sound like it. As Cherry said, hopefully the GP was just being Uber Cautious (which is better than being blase). Let us know....

In the light of that, I feel guilty for moaning, but I am still very thin on the old hair front, esp at the front. I went to have a new cut this week, and pulled it forward to hide the lack of fringe, and was very pleased. Today, a tall friend "rearranged" how I had done it, to cover up the thin=ness/bald patch on top THAT I DIDN'T KNOW I HAD! I can't see it, obviously, and no-one's mentioned it before... two years on.... you'd have thought my hair would have returned to normal.... will it, I wonder? I gather Letrazole has the effect of thinning hair... fanTAStic!

Hope you're all OK...

love to all (hugs and hand holding where needed ..)
Jane x

cherryorchard

I don't know what to say Jude except I hope you get seen before Easter and hear some news that will put your mind at rest. If the GP was a trainee (we get them regularly at my surgery) maybe he is just covering his backside as he doesn't have much experience of BC or lympho. It does sound a bit like lympho from what you described. You seem to be describing general swelling, rather specific lumps. Have I got that right? I have permanent lympho in my breast but I do get swelling in my armpit from time to time, which surgeon said was related to the lympho. Please let us know what they say at your appt.
A wave to everyone else. Hope you are well.
Cherry

una12

Dear all
Hope everyone is doing ok. Glad to hear your treatment (without op) going well Jane.
i am having a bit of a panic today so would welcome anyone telling me to get a grip! To cut a long story short, I noticed some swelling on chest wall and armpit, rang BCN who thought it might be lymphoedema but said new system now is to go to GP to get referred to new commissioned lymph service (not hospital). I saw GP this morning (not met hime before). He was very thorough, but seemed concerned and said he was faxing my consultant to get my check-up (in May) brought forward asap. Also said twice to contact surgery to chase up if I don't hear from hospital by next week. Am trying to keep busy to stop imagining all sorts - my kitchen hasn't looked this tidy for weeks!!!
Love to all, Jude

GIJaneH

Congrats to all (who know) on being NED.... good club to be in....
Ninja - hope all the surgery goes well..

I had a prolapsed womb last year (I reckon Letrazole was athe last straw). Fortunately, very fortunately, a pessarie ring does the trick and, for now, surgery can be avoided. Sister on our gynae ward says they have 80+ year olds coming in with a ring in, so it MAY last! \it's all grim though... I must say, when I prolapsed last year, I was NOT ready to face more surgery/time off.... and was SO relieved to avoid it!

I hpe everyone's well. We're off ooop north tomorrow very early - to stay with son & his wife for the weekend - haven't seen him in months, so that'll be lovely..

keep warm
love Jane xx

una12

Fantastic news Mandy and Cherry, really pleased for you! And Ninja great you can have the surgery now, all really positive. I have a gynae appt coming up, similar probs, so don't know if I can/should evade an op .... Good luck everyone with mammos etc coming up soon, mine is week after next.
love to ally, Jude

Ninja

YAY!!

mangochutney

Just to let all my May buddies know, that I have just received my mammogram results. "Very satisfactory"!!!!
Yippee!!!
Amd they've arrived on try 2 year anniversary date! 7th March!!
Mandy xxxxx

Ninja

Helloooo May Buddies! I'm a month off my two-year mammo yet. There is no way I can catch up with all your news so I will just wave to GI Jane, Una, Cherryorchard, Rach, Wandy, Mandy, Trishk and anyone I have missed.

I am 3 weeks off my second cancerversary and no recurrence yet so I will be able to have more surgery now. They wanted to hang fire because any recurrence would have come as priority 1. Booby two will be coming off as risk-reducing and I'll try to get some smaller boobettes made.

I've had awful bladder/prolapse probs thanks to the Tamoxifen/Exemestane. My bladder is now ulcerated (combo of FMS and chemo) and there is no cure but I'm on three more taglets to try to stabilise it. I'll be having a hysterical-rectum (hysterectomy!) shortly and because I'm ER++ and the cells were very aggressive, he is going to fetch out the tubes and ovaries, too. So I'll end up with little to get cancer in.
Soooo, my summer is going to be all major surgery and recuperation in the sunshine.

Hope the rest of you have some news that doesn't involve surgery lol

cherryorchard

Just got back from my two year check. I am very lucky that I get the results on the day. Mammos were NED but breasts are nodular (first time they have said that) and the US I had to check my seroma was OK, too. It hasn't changed size so the consultant feels it is going to a permanent fixture. I am not complaining as it partly fills the hole left by the surgery, even if it is painful from time to time. With the seroma there, the breast lympho is probably going to be permanent, too. I have had a cough and a tight sensation in my chest for about 8 weeks which I discussed at my appt. I was sent around for a chest X-ray which was also clear. The consultant says the X-ray isn't a guarantee there is nothing on my lungs but it makes it far less likely. He suggested I might be a bit asthmatic and has written to my GP so I will have to make an appt at my surgery. I have been discharged to once a year check ups, too.
Trish, Welcome back. Nice to hear from you again. Congrats on the Oxford netball success (I did search to find the result).
I am sorry you are having such a hard time on letrozole Wandy but you are right - it is a security blanket. If I recall correctly you were ER +++, so it is probably doing you a lot of good even if the SEs are so unpleasant. I have a bit of pain (nothing like yours) from my anastrozole but the doctor recommended I take ibruprofen not paracetamol. I am jealous that you have the Lakes on your doorstep now. It would be so nice to go for a walk in the fells whenever the sun comes out.
Jane, It's just the lighting in those portaloos. It isn't flattering. Don't use them again unless you are desperate or they have "By appointment, etc" on them.
Jude, Congrats on the new grand daughter!
Feeling absolutely drained at the moment. I think was more wound up than I realised about the check up today. I wanted to get outside because the weather was so nice but all I could manage was to make a cup of tea and sit down.
I will keep my fingers crossed for Mandy and anyone else waiting for the results of their mammos.
Love, Cherry xx

I a

una12

Hello all
Great to hear from you Wandy, must have been such a relief with good news from the bone scan, but I'm sorry to hear you're having a lot of pain with the Letrozole. I know what you mean about the safety blanket feeling though. The fell walks etc sound fantastic. Jane - glad to hear about your mojo!!! (even if we can't always remember what it is!). Trish, I'm so impressed by the coaching, and you sound so upbeat. Mandy, meant to say before your pic looks very glam, I had serious hair envy. ( And don't get me started on the lashes ...) Rachel, hope you're still on the mend.
i'm doing ok, seem to have a lot more energy the last few weeks so work feeling manageable and can enjoy our little grand-daughters - am completely smitten and so glad to be here with them. My youngest daughter has got us tickets to see the Spice Girls musical next week. She was mad about them when she was little so it should be a real laugh. Now just have to decide whether to go as Posh or Sporty .....
good luck to everyone with mammos and check-ups, here's to quick and clear results. Love to Cherry, Ninja and anyone I haven't mentioned, Jude x

GIJaneH

Hi Wandy - good to hear from you! I'm delighted you are enjoying being back in cold, damp, snowy England! Could do with some of the Turkey heat right now!! I sympathise about the joints (though I'm not as bad as you). Do you take Glucosamine & Chondroitin? I find I'm worse without that... and I've just ordered some Q10 enzyme, as it's supposed to help the joint/muscle problems Statins cause... and give you energy ... and boost the imune system.. and... I'll let you know if it helps!!

Hi to all... glad the 2 year checks are all going OK .... I had mine, but without the mamo, as that's not till July (I got out of sync by demanding one during chemo to check out a lump they were being blase about) They seem quite happy..

I must say though, when I was diagnosed, I VERY naively thought that I would have surgery and "a few difficult months" and then be back to normal. Well, the few difficult months turned out to be a heck of alot longer than I expected, and I am not back to how I was, and probably never will be! I have dear Lyn Fedema for company, get up from a chair like an old lady, have thinner/finer hair than before.... I went to Dancing on Ice yesterday with DD, and went to the loo (mistake - they were Portaloos!) and looked in the mirror, and this old hag looked back at me! Grim!

Stil, as Wandy says, we're alive, and definitely kicking! My BCN looked at me the other week as we chatted in the corridor, and said "you've got your mojo back"... not sure what one of them is, but she's right!

love and hugs too, hope you're all keeping warm and enjoying the spring flowers (lambs in your case Wandy!)
Jane xx

Wandy

Hello all my May girls,

Sorry not to have been on for a bit, just seem to have endless things to sort with settling in to the new home/life etc. My darling OH and my Mum and myself have all been doing the health rounds, new GP's, new dentists, referrals for surgery for my Mum and my OHJ (who needs a new hip) etc..etc!! Hadn't realised how much we had all fallen apart!!
I had a full bone scan a few weeks ago. I had been really worried about potential bone mets, but last week I got the all clear. All my probs are joint related and therefore Letrozole related, normal wear and tear and just got to get on with it!! I am in constant pain with my joints and could weep some days. Am alright when up and moving but its the getting up and going which is the problem...Hey ho...I have the option to give the Letrozole up but have decided not to as I feel its a real security blanket. Just going to have to taken more paracetomol! It is the sad legacy of breast cancer which they don't tell you about and because we don't have recurrence or secondaries it gets rather forgotten, but from 48 hours after starting Letrozole which is now 17 months ago I have had continuous pain.
Sorry this is not really a whinge, as I am thrilled I haven't got bone mets and I am actually very well otherwise and am really getting on with our lovely new life here in Cumbria which I am soooooo happy to be enjoying. It is beautiful here and every day my OH and I go for a different beautiful fell walk and I feel blessed to be alive and thankful to be able to enjoy all this.
Lovely to see you Trish and glad your netball is going so well. Rach, I'm glad youare still able to enjoy pampering and are improving. Fingers crossed Mandy for your results, keep us posted.
It feels a bit spring like here on some days and on some of our walks we have seen some spring lambs, but we are still quite wintry as well. Yesterday we went for a walk on the tops near the Tan Hill Inn (Englands highest pub!, had to call in an have a warming drop after the walk as well!!), but we had to call the walk a bit short because we were in a white out and there was snow everywhere and it was - 4 degrees!!
Anyway, am starting to get more organised and will try and come on more regularly. It is still important to me to be in touch with you all.
Take care all, GI Jane, Una, Cherryorchard, Ninja, Rach, Mandy, Trishk and others.
Love and hugs
Wandyxx

mangochutney

Well, just back from my 2 year mammogram. Got to wait upto 3 weeks for the results!!
Just going to try not to think about it in the meantime. Easier said than done!!
hope everyone's ok
love Mandy xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Mandy
Mine is on the 28th, not sure if i will get results straight away, didnt think to ask! At the one year check i was fine, maybe because very soon after all treatment. I feel really quite nervous for this one and even feel a bit emotional this week, not sure if its because the test is due or the UTI infection making me feel low.
Weather has been so nice today though and always makes you fell better if there is some sunshine around. Just wish the sun would heat us up a bit more, so cold this morning at 6 am scraping the car.
Tricia x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Mandy
Mine is on the 28th, not sure if i will get results straight away, didnt think to ask! At the one year check i was fine, maybe because very soon after all treatment. I feel really quite nervous for this one and even feel a bit emotional this week, not sure if its because the test is due or the UTI infection making me feel low.
Weather has been so nice today though and always makes you fell better if there is some sunshine around. Just wish the sun would heat us up a bit more, so cold this morning at 6 am scraping the car.
Tricia x