Did you mean: 

Starting chemo in October

Highlighted

Re: Starting chemo in October

Thanks alfie73
Good luck suzee
Highlighted

Good luck suzee and gail, hope all goes well today!
xx
Highlighted

hi pumpkins,
good luck 2moz gail, just hoping mine won't be postponed as hospial phoned fri after getting back from having hickman line fitted, and said bloods weren't any good and would have to be retested on monday before treatment, so fingers crossed will be ok
good luck also to everyone else having treatment this week
big hugs xx
suzee
Highlighted

Hi all
I've had a really lazy day today getting myself ready for chemo no 3 tomorrow morning.

Good luck to all who are having treatment this week

Gail xx
Highlighted

Hi everyone,
Chemo 3 on Thursday half way through Wont be wearing that horrid cold cap this time as not much hair left have been wearing bandanas got my wig at the ready but not tried it yet.My eyes have been watering but seem a little better this week.Not looking forward to chemo and all that goes with it ,just as you start to feel well its time to go back and start all over again! The good thing is it seems to be going quite fast, so hope it carries on one more before Xmas then two after and 4weeks rest before radiotheraphy.
Good Luck to everyone and take care
Highlighted

Hi Pumpkins
I see some of you are suffering with itchy eyes.... i have stinging eyes! They feel quite dry & i wake up with crusts either side of my nose! They dont seem too red & arent watering. Does anyone know if i can use optrex or am i best waiting to ring my GP 2moro?
I initially put it down to being tired (4 nites of very little sleep) but i had 10 hours last nite!!
Feel like im getting a cold too, very snotty & dry cough at nite. Oh dearie me....! Feeling kinda sorry for myself! And next chemo due on Friday so need to get myself sorted!!!!
Still got my tastebuds, so off for yet another hot chocolate! Purely on doctors orders of course - although i still think they should be available on prescription!! Smiley Wink
Highlighted

Hi Pumpkins
Well today my eye lashes and eyebrows are itching - almost as strange was when my hair hurt a few weeks ago. I guess this means they will start to shed, oh well, I have managed to get over half way through with them. I am useless at make-up and only ever wear a little blusher, eye shadow, mascara and lippy and only then if I am going to work or out for the evening. I did buy some eyeliner today but hopeless at applying it . I have looked into the Look good feel better sessions but there are none that near to me and I tend to avoid make-up sessions as I always feel pushed into using foundation etc which I will never do as I feel claustrophobic with any skin makeup.
Other than that I am feeling really well day 10 after FEC 3. The first week was definately worse thatn the first two and I felt really tired and felt very down too, it was hard to imagine what feeling well was like but since Thursday I have felt great, better than the first two at the same stage - very strange this chemo and I guess we really can't predict one session to the next.

I hope all who have had chemo this week are getting through it and the rest are making the most of the in-between times.
xx
Highlighted

Hi catzoo

I too have very sore and runny eyes my onc gave me some drops called artificial tears which help with the runny part but not with the itching. I didn't get it after the first session but did after the second. I'm back for third session on Monday so see what happens then.

Glad your not feeling sick today let's hope that continues.

Hope all pumpkins have a good weekend.

Gail xx
Highlighted

Happy Saturday pumpkins. My 2nd FEC yesterday went ok. My sister came with me which was great - she lives 120 miles away so we don't get to spend time together very often. Was great to catch up.
CHemo went in ok. Did the dreaded cold cap again. That's the worst part. was struggling not to cry when they switched it on - could I stand 3 and a half hours of it? But managed it in the end.
I took Emend pill 1 hour before, though not sure it that stoped the sickness. I felt sick all last night, tho wasnt actually sick like I was the 1st time. Slept quite well. Today I don't feel sick at all. Hooray. But soooo tired. Headache. Sore dry eyes too which is new. Going to wash them with an optrex eye bath later. Head feels fuzzy. Difficult to concentrate.
Watched children in need last night. Crying at the young girl with the grapefruit size tumour in her liver. Happy she is now in remission. And the mum who sadly died of BC in August.
Highlighted

Thanks for all your comments ladies xx
Highlighted

Gail, my onc suggested ibuleve gel - it reduced the sweliing around the veins but they are still sore - guess it is a matter of time and that was from first chemo. I have a port now, much much better.

Hope everyone has a good night x
Highlighted

Hi all
Glad to be back home I hate driving in the dark, decided to get off the A9 and do the last 30 odd miles by the single track route, less cars but lots of deer and kamakazee sheep.
Gail when my arm sore nurse said to take Ibruprofen 400mg three times a day provided i had no probs with heart burn, then suggested PICC line cause FEC is hard on our veins

Highlighted

Evening Pumpkins!

What a time you're having Nonni - glad re your husband's contract though.

Gail, I had an aching arm when I had to have blood taken after first chemo; I tried heat on it, but it subsided after a couple of days. No fun at the time though.

Have restful evenings Pumpkins, and as good week-ends as we can. Hope all those with lines and chemo today are doing ok this evening, look forward to the updates on how you are.

Little Bear (Sue) xx
Highlighted

Evening pumpkins

Has anyone else had very sore veins in chemo arm cause I am and it is really painful and just wanted to know what I can do about it.
Appreciate any help.

Gail xx
Highlighted

good luck to all those having chemo and lines today, hope all goes well!
Nonni glad the sickness was better this time and your husband has found work, one less stress for you both at least.
We are definately living in a bizarre parallel universe at the moment, can't wait to get out of it, seems like my brain has been overtaken with this for such a long time. For me since Bradley Wiggins won his time trial in the Olympics, a day that I will definately never forget!
Managed to wear my wig for a whole day yesterday, still feel it is really uncomfortable but managed to go shopping at at least look fairly ok!
Have a good friday!
xx
Highlighted

Hi Pumpkins
I'll try to catch up on reading the 60+ posts since I was last on here! It's now Day 8 FEC2 and I've finally got my sleep back under some sort of control after feeling like a zombie for 4 days on 2 hours sleep per night. The antibiotics have helped with the cellulitis and the swelling has virtually gone. Emend meant no actual vomiting this time around so that helped - in fact I thought things were going much better.
On Tuesday I managed to go to my friend's funeral and was glad that I did as I got to see many people I'd lost touch with in the last 10 years and have plans to meet up with them again soon. Today I called into work briefly to drop in my certificate and got lovely reception from people, lots of hugs, good-natured teasing about my hat and then I went to the hospital to have my PICC line cleaned! I'd expected it to be the usual 30 minute appointment but they were unable to draw blood back from the line - I ended up being there for 2.5 hours whilst they tried drips, more flushing before putting a bleep out for the Dr as they suspected a blood clot. After an injection of Syner-KInase ( an enzyme from Human Male Urine !) the finally managed to get the blood out.
Good news is that my DH has managed to find a temporary contract so starts working again on Monday which will be better for both of us

Nonni
Highlighted

Jane-813 and Fifirosalie - strange times, I will always associate the Olympics with my diagnosis and had a vivid flashback today of sitting there in my pink fluffie dressing gown, with a breast that was black & blue from the core biopsy, and trying to distract myself by cheering for Jessica Enis!! Also had an ASE moment as I caught sight of my bald head in the mirror and found it hard to comprehend how much has taken place in such a short amount of time. Parallel universe it is.

Jayne M and Ribby, I think you're heroic for fighting your way round town - I thought I was doing well with a walk up the road today!!!! I think playing the chemo card is fine, needs must! I tried it yesterday when someone was 'cold calling' on the telephone - worked a treat!

Sleep well, Pumpkins xx
Highlighted

Suzee64 - i have a hickman line. Its so easy administering the chemo & any bloods that need taking can be done at the Unit rather than going to path lab. The only bugbear is having to wait in every tuesday for the district nurse to come flush it & as its constantly being messed with, it doesnt heal so itches a lot.....
Fifirosalie - love the profile pic! How cute is that??!! Glad u feeling ok - i suffer anxiety but amazingly, apart from palps after 1st session, i havent had ONE panic attack! I find that rather strange!!!!! (but in a good way!)
JayneM - glad u feeling ok.... dont blame u for playing the chemo card tho - must admit ive not used it yet but dont see why we cant...!!
Catzoo - i have been sick after both sessions & am thinking of asking for a different antisickness when i got for my prechemo check next week. Due to the really bad heartburn im having, i cant bear the thought of being sick again which will no doubt make it worse.....
Been into town 2day & was absolutely shattered after 2 hours! Although i think its due to the fact i was awake coughing again last nite. Still getting nausea but lollies, ginger ale & clementines seem to ease it off. All stuff that probably isnt helping my heartburn tho (swings & roundabouts)
I cant believe that this time next week i'll be ready for #3 (half way)....
Was booking Princess' birthday party this afternoon for 19th January & realised the week after will be my LAST chemo session....!!!! Her birthday is actually the 8th but my chemo is on 4th so there was no way i was arranging a playarea party with 30+ kids for then!! Luckily she said she doesnt mind having a late party 'as long as you are there mummy, thats all that matters....' Bless... Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Couldn't agree more Jane - Parallel universe is how I've been describing it! I found my lump during the Olympics, and it was such a welcome diversion at the time. Seems like a lifetime ago now. The thing that I keep coming back to is that this journey has surprises at every turn. I've always been a busy person, physically active, and pretty prone to anxiety and depression. Very strangely, I now find myself sleeping better than I have in years, and not worrying nearly as much about stuff. Bizarre, but I think everything is now so far out of my control, I have relaxed. I'm in a very "Bring it on!" State of mind, like it doesn't matter what happens next, I'll just get through it. So, positive really, but unexpected too, considering how completely stressful waiting for diagnosis, op results and chemo start date were.

Of course, I may have just lulled myself into a false sense of security...who knows what's gonna get chucked in your face tomorrow!

i had a moment yesterday when I washed my new prosthesis for the first time. I had never imagined that one day I would be washing my own detachable tit in the bathroom sink! Have only worn the wig once, so not yet had the pleasure of shampooing the little creature.

BTW, I cannot for the life of me remember who recommended it, but it was def a pumpkin on here, the anbesol for sore mouth is magic, such relief. So, thanks for that tip, I am now eating better as a result.

Strong thoughts to every pumpkin floating around this parallel universe. Xx
Highlighted

Hi folks
I was just reflecting on the fact that this whole journey has been one strange experience after another. From big scanning machines, to getting a Hickman line; from the experience of chemo to the experience of getting head shaved. Does anyone find themselves thinking "Is this really happening?". It doesn't seem that long ago that we were watching the Olympics oblivious to all this.
Last night I had an ASE - "Another Strange Experience". This time it was the first "washing of the wig". I mean, it's not every day you find yourself washing your hair in a basin- it's like washing some small furry animal !
Anyone else keep thinking they are having an ASE ? When you just stop and think "Wow- life is really strange right now!" ?
Highlighted

Feeling much better today 7 days after FEC 3. I find it hard to remember that two out of three weeks are ok when I am going through week one so it has been a good reminder. I managed some shopping although nearly lost it in M&S after queuing to pick something up that I had ordered only to be told I had to join another queue to return an another item, I was hot and feeling faint so said to the woman that I was having chemo and no way could I stand in another queue without keeling over - she was really kind and took the return for me - I don't like having to play that card but needs must I guess .
Hope everyone has a good evening x
Highlighted

Quick post!

Raonaid: Good luck for long day and picc line tomorrow.

Catzooo: Glad other lump is benign. Hope FEC 2 tomorrow goes well without too much sickness.

Suzee64: Hope all goes well with Hickman line tomorrow.

Have a good evening all Pumpkins xxx
Highlighted

hi pumpkins,
raonaid i had same problem on 2nd round of chemo, i'm going 2moz to have hickman line fitted but haven't got to be there until 12 but have to be at hospital for pre-chemo check at 9.30. so hopefully next roud on monday wont be so painfull.
eyes have been sore today, blurred vision and watery, having to rely on glasses more often now as well for reading, find i can't even read cooking instructions on packets now without them.
hope every one is keeping well, resting on bad days and enjoying the good days
big hugs xx
suzee
Highlighted

Am all good to go for FEC 2 tomorrow. neutrophils 3.6 today so well up from 0.4 a week ago. Feelin great, full of energy, not ill at all. Also got results of all the tests - all good news, lump in other boob is benign, and all clear on upper body CT scan.
Bad news - my tumour is 7cm - scarily huge in my tiny boob size! But it was 8cm before FEC1 so is shrinking. My consultant had only estimated size of 4.5cm before getting scan results.
Also been given Emend as I had a bad night throwing up last chemo day. Was fine after that, but will be nice not to be sick tomorrow.
Hair is thinning out a little, not at all noticeable yet, so will persevere with the cold cap. Head does feel sore and itchy.
Kind of looking forward to getting on with it. Hasn't been half so bad as I expected- sofar!
Highlighted

It will be worth it Raonaid, I am still suffering from sore hard veins in my hand from the first chemo whereas 2 adn 3 via port were so much easier :-)

Have a good (short) nights sleep and hope it all goes well for tomorrow x
Highlighted

Going tomorrow to get a picc line in , got to get up at 5.15am to get to the hospital down in InvernessI had a pain in my hand which travelled up my arm and last chemo getting needle in was really sore and difficult, I guess I should have known it was coming.

Highlighted

Hi All Pumpkins! Not been on for few days as just emerging from TAC fatigue, and there are SO many comments! Hard to pick out them all isn't it, when there are so many of us, but just couple of comments ......

TwinksMum, Alfie73 and Jane813 - I am on TAC x 6 (Taxotere, Adriamycin and cyclophosphamide), so it includes the Tax part that you are having. I have a blog at littlebearowl.tumblr.com, and the 'about me' has some of side effects, but not everyone gets them all!!! Tax hits bone marrow quite hard, so fatigue has been biggest thing for me, but lifting now at day 9. Other than that bone pain from the G-CSF is a pickle, and mouth ulcers for a couple of days.

My kids are older, 23 and 22 - they have been fantastic, so my worry for them is that they have changed their schedules so much to accomodate me in 'fatigue and nausea' week!

Love to all Pumpkins at whatever stage of this treadmill we are on xxx
Highlighted

Hi Alfie73 and Jane813- like you am also having 3 FEC and 4 T, the first T scheduled on the 27th dec, just a little behind you both so will be interesting to compare notes. Have been told there is less sickness than FEC but possibly some bone ache and water retention, have you been told of any advanced side effects, lets face it, there's bound to be a few!

Keep well x

Highlighted

Hello pumpkins, glad to hear all the lovely family support comments. Just had a rubbish weekend with a premenstrual twelve year old - my poor darling just didn't know what to do with herself, and I was absolutely rubbish at responding appropriately, no patience! All over now, and she's back to her lovely cuddly self. Made me realise how vulnerable we are -I'm usually much more understanding.

bad day Monday too, woke up at 4am in agonising back and pelvis pain, with crazy headache and slight temp. Phoned hospital, and it's a side effect of the injections that I was having to boost blood count. Side effects of side effects of side effects....ever decreasing circles!!! GP came out and gave me better painkillers, so ok now. He took blood, which I was relieved to find is better than last cyle at this point, so no return stay in hospital. Phew! Hoping to have my next treatment on time this time, so fingers crossed I stay well.

just found out a friend is about to start chemo too, so off to visit her on Friday and share some of the tips from this forum with her.

Keep smiling xxx
Highlighted

Hi Pumpkins....
Day 13 of 2nd FEC & after a great couple of days, im feeling absolutely knackered. Eyes stinging, headache.... but im sneezing loads & have a tickly cough so dont know if im getting a cold. Had reflexology 2 & actually fell asleep while she was doing it (god, i hope i wasnt snoring).
Im now on Ranitidine tabs for the heartburn/indigestion - started taking them on monday... does anyone else feel nauseous after taking them or is it just me? Luckily i take it at nite. Been nauseous last few days tho & horrid taste in mouth so have bought lots of chupa lollies to suck on while im out & about. Cant taste cheese but loving toasted scones, tinned pears, digestives with philly on & garden peas with lashings of tomato ketchup....
Someone mentioned about blurred vision in an earlier post - i def suffer from that during the 1st week. I think its cos my eyes are tired & dry tho but it soon goes back to normal.
I agree with comments regarding family & especially children. My Princess has been fantastic. I was very open with her from the start & she seems to be dealing with it very well - she seems to know when to leave me alone & when to come in & give me huge huggles!!!! Love my Princess soooo much <3 Smiley Happy
Im at a Look Good Feel Good session on Monday - looking forward to it actually. And just before that im at the Breast Care Unit as a local charity called Hug in a Bag are handing the first lot of bags of goodies to the BC nurses & ive been asked to go seeing as i was 1 of the first ones to receve a bag in Blackpool & the organiser has said im an inspiration cos of my attitude (better hope im not having a 'bursting into tears' day!). Smiley Wink
Glad all seem to be ok. We're getting there girlies..... Big hugs xxx
Highlighted

Alfie73 thanks very much for your comments. I went and saw my GP today to get signed off again and mentioned to him about how it was hurting where the lump had been removed and that there was a hard lump there. He examined me and thinks it is prob an infection and has given me antiobiotics so i rang the chemo line to inform them and they have now told me to ring my bcn and get them to take a look at it before i start the anitbiotics. Im trying to keep positive its just an infection. I feel a bit better than i did earlier so hopefully will get a good nights sleep. Hope you do aswell and enjoy your last week before having your next session. Its a long way off before your reconstruction but i hope the time goes quickly for you. It seems to have gone so quick since i found out about it in July and had the op end of August. This is one horrible journey but im trying to keep in good spirits and i hope everyone else can as much as possible.. x
Highlighted

Hi Lynseyp37- I mentioned that FEC hasn't been effective enough for me- this means that the size of my tumour has not shrunk as much as they would have expected after 2 FEC- hence I've to change to Taxotere. I am having chemo before surgery- as they are trying to shrink it first as it is quite large.
Don't be worried. I've been told that everyone reacts differently and hence there are different chemo drugs.
Alfie73- good to hear we are 'in the same boat'. I have first Taxotere next Wed so will soon be able to to compare it to FEC.
Sukiem- thanks for your comments too- I'll have a look at the September thread.
Highlighted

guys what do u mean fec hasnt worked?are u having it before surgery or after? just bit worrie as i had lumpectomy and now 6 fec oh and and alfie herceptin too for a year - oh joy!!!
Highlighted

Enjoy those cuddles Alfie, but rest assured, my 13 year old still loves his cuddles and lots of them (just not in front of his friends!)x
Highlighted

I think you're all right about our families keeping us going. My husband and children have also been great. My 7 year old has become much more effectionate during all this and I'm enjoying all the cuddles before he gets too old to cuddle his mum!!
Jane i'm also having FEC-T but will have one more FEC (no 3) before going onto T just before Christmas (what a lovely Christmas present!) I also get to start herceptin then - is anyone else having that I can't remember?!
Annette i think the emotions do get worse as you go along I think the anticipation of how you are going to feel and that horrid taste get to you I know they do with me. I am already dreading sitting in the chemo unit in a weeks time and I know I should be enjoying feeling a bit better instead... Hope you get an ok nights sleep and then at least you'll be another day through this yucky journey we are all on.
Saw my surgeon today and signed off from them for a bit until next July when I get to discuss my permanent reconstruction more this journey is going to be a long one though, it looks like my DIEP reconstruction is going to be Jan 2014 once I finish a year of herceptin, a long way off.....
xx
Highlighted

My daughter is 14 and tells me every day that my hair looks great (even though we both know it doesn't) and both kids (13 year old son too) are a real boost and definately keep my going. They were scared when they first new but they have been amazingly strong during the treatment - I am so lucky having them and my wonderful husband to help me through this.
Highlighted

Jules-your little boy sounds wonderful. I have a 6 year old and he regularly tells people off if they don't wash their hands etc stating 'my mummy might get an infection you know'. Bless them x
Highlighted

Jane-just popping over from the September thread. I'm on FEC-T too and my ultrasound showed little change after 3 FEC's although the borders were extremely unclear (which would indicate chemo is having some effect).
My understanding is that a tumours response to Taxotere can be more dramatic than FEC (confirmed by my onc today). Chemo also works better on high grade, E negative tumours (although everyone responds differently).
Good luck-theres a few of us who didn't have a great response to FEC on the september thread so you may want to have a look there.
Highlighted

Hi pumpkins
Well after 2 FEC treatments I have found out from my recent MRI scan that they've not been effective enough- so I'm changing to Taxotere. Is anyone else having this? Having just got used to the FEC- here is another new thing to deal with. Seems as if the side effects are similar. Oh- with joint pain thrown in. Oh well.
Highlighted

Just got back from having FEC 3 today. I dont know why but for some reason i feel really weepy today which seems to have come from no where. I think probably i have been feeling some twinges where the lump was cut out and also going in line from where the lymph nodes were taken going round to my back feels sore and every twinge is anicing me now. I have been lucky and havent suffered from sickness from the chemo but i think its just getting to me now as i know the routine and that by Monday/Tuesday i will be feeling at my lowest and will be suffering bad headaches and everything i try to eat or drink will taste terrible. Jayne you summed up the feeling of not really ill but not really well either. Its hard to describe to people. Enjoy the sunshine and enjoy your two weeks of normality. Im looking forward to a weeks time when i will be starting to feel better. Thats great all of you who managed to go on the Look Good Feel Better. I went after my first session and thought it was a great afternoon and got some great tips and also found the people running it excellent. Also all the make up we got was a bonus! Jules try not to worry too much about surgery. I just had a lumpectomy but it was a rather large lump they took out so I am different in cup sizes but to be honest i have got used to it and with clothes on you wouldnt notice. I understand it is more upsetting to have MX though. I have to say though i found the surgery the easy bit compared to chemo. Your little boy will get you through it though. Gail my arms have been sore now from the chemo which i did mention today but they didnt say anything back but as i understood it you cant have anything in your arm on the side of the op. Anyway take care everyone Annette x
Highlighted

Day 6 after FEC 3 - I have been a lot more tired and achy this time, guess that is the cumulative effect. The fog is lifting into mist today and I will be getting out in the sunshine for a stroll later - did that yesterday and it does make a difference.
It is a strange feeling, not really ill but not really well either. Here is to the next two weeks of, hopefully, relative normaility.
Hope all of you having chemo this week don't suffer too much and those in the good weeks, I hope you are able to enjoy them!
Highlighted

Sorry I meant to say side that I had op on
Highlighted

Hi pumpkins

I too had a great time at the look good feel better session, I've now learnt how to apply make up properly, so I'm sitting at home with a face full of make up but with no where to go, never mind at least I look good.

Got very sore veins in chemo arm and bn said I will have to use other arm next time but that is side I had open on is this safe to do?

Gail xx

ah jules that so lovely you have ur boy to perk u up our kids will def help us get thru it. i had lumpectomy before which wasnt too bad tbh. used bio oil on scar and barely visible. u will find someone eventually. we will learn to love ourselvss again when hair back and not feeling like crap!!!
Highlighted

Hi Pumpkins,

Round 3 FEC tomorrow, keep thinking Ive won 2 rounds so far so bring on the 3rd.
I've started to think and worry about the MX that will be coming after chemo and getting quite upset about it, is anyone else facing surgery or already had it. I feel that the chemo is only temporary but the surgery is permenant. I am single at the moment and I suppose a big worry is that I will always be single now as no one will want me/although suspect that is related to self image... getting myseld all tangled up in these thoughts I know I must stop it and that its just self pity but cant seem to shake myself up GGGGRRRRRR
On an uplifting note I was crying/upset last night in the bathroom trying to hide from my 7 year old little boy when he came in asking if I was ok or was I feeling 'rotten' I just said that I was sad and he responded with ' like it said in the mummys baddy booby book' (mummys lump) I just said yes he went away and came back with a drawing of me an him both smiling with me with long blonde haid ( like I used to have ) he is such a great little boy and its lovely to know he can still think and draw us both happy made me smile and feel allot better.
Jules
Highlighted

Hi all,
Had a great time at the look good feel better session and have got all kinds of lovely make up now! Would highly recommend getting yourselves booked on one!
xx
Highlighted

hi lynsey, have pm'd you
Highlighted

good news catzoo ive been loving cheese!
Highlighted

Tooth repaired so happy day. I was at the hospital 8am to get blood checked, neutrophils now 1.54 (well up from 0.4 last thursday) so fit to go to the dentist. I am lucky to have a lovely dentist, he put a temporary white cover filling on the exposed tooth. Will have to get it repaired properly after chemo is finished. I came away with a bag full of freebie toothpastes and mouthwashes.
And more good news = I have got some taste back. I can taste chocolate and cheese Going to make the most of it now before chemo 2 on Friday.
Highlighted

Thanks suzee

I only got on the look good feel better class due to a cancellation so I am lucky otherwise it would have been january.
If you don't mind travelling it might be worth looking somewhere else.

Gail xx